Came here to say this.


Off-Topic Discussions

101 to 150 of 3,716 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is nothing naturally about it. Learning to cook takes time. I am at the level where I can comfortably follow almost any recipe. I agree though, burgers is easy. Just don't burn the beef, and there is little that can really go wrong.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Your headline says you came here to say this, then you say you came here to flag it. I'm so confused.. lol

I think this is the start of a rap.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was very afraid of cooking, it looked like the most difficult thing in the world. But I was going through some difficulties finding a job as a lab technician so the opportunity to become a cook came and I got to study and learn how to cook. I am not naturally gifted but I loved it and now I like cooking with a passion.
Now I no longer work as a cook but it was an interesting experience.

Vid, empanadas are pastries filled with a mix of baked onion and whatever you want to put in them.
Here in Galicia the one with tuna is a classic, as it is the one (yucks) made with pork fat and chorizo. They are very traditional in the North of Spain, even though in Argentina they are popular too, but the recipe is kinda different.
The kind of dough you use can vary (with or without oil, with water or with milk, with or without yeast, and even with puff pastry -the last one will make purists angry-) but the results, well done are delicious.
My favorite two are the raisin and cod empanada and the octopus empanada.


I'm actually relatively happy in my limits. I have no particular interest in expanding, at present, in this category. Maybe someday.

I am very willing to accept other peoples' food, though...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That said, I super appreciate you guys. You're very sweet! :D


4 people marked this as a favorite.

My name is Babaji and I'm here to say
I've got some magic to sell and I'm not going aw—

[User has been banned.]


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
I am not naturally gifted...

I DISSENT!!!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Your headline says you came here to say this, then you say you came here to flag it. I'm so confused.. lol
I think this is the start of a rap.

It takes two to make a thing go right

It takes two to make it outta sight


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Irontruth wrote:
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Your headline says you came here to say this, then you say you came here to flag it. I'm so confused.. lol
I think this is the start of a rap.

It takes two to make a thing go right

It takes two to make it outta sight

Well, now, don't you tell me to smile

You stick around I'll make it worth your while
My number's beyond what you can dial
Maybe it's because we're so versatile


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:

I was very afraid of cooking, it looked like the most difficult thing in the world. But I was going through some difficulties finding a job as a lab technician so the opportunity to become a cook came and I got to study and learn how to cook. I am not naturally gifted but I loved it and now I like cooking with a passion.

Now I no longer work as a cook but it was an interesting experience.

Vid, empanadas are pastries filled with a mix of baked onion and whatever you want to put in them.
Here in Galicia the one with tuna is a classic, as it is the one (yucks) made with pork fat and chorizo. They are very traditional in the North of Spain, even though in Argentina they are popular too, but the recipe is kinda different.
The kind of dough you use can vary (with or without oil, with water or with milk, with or without yeast, and even with puff pastry -the last one will make purists angry-) but the results, well done are delicious.
My favorite two are the raisin and cod empanada and the octopus empanada.

Those sound like Cornish Pasties, except CPs are generally filled with minced beef and veg (potatoes, carrots, peas, onions). Traditionally, they were baked in two halves, with a savoury filling in one half and a sweet filling in the other, but I've never actually seen one like that.

The tin miners used to eat them. Don't know whether or not empanadas were invented for the use of similar folks...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think it's not the case. I think they invented them to use the cuts of the meat or fish that couldn't be used for other things. And as there were poor people, they put onions and other veggies to add more quantity.
It's probably put in bread because we have a very long bread tradition, we love bread and flour was abundant here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Filled dough dishes are an extremely widespread concept. From east asian gyoza and dim sum, to empanadas and the like, to polish pirog, to german knödel, to swedish Pitepalt and so on, it seems to be more or less universal. Filling out expensive meat with veggies and dough is a pretty decent idea.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And as a bread and veggie lover I must say a delicious one too!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Great! Now I want to make Cornish pasties (and maybe get some pasties for the wife).

To the family recipes! (And then the adult toy store).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Are you getting nostalgic for the erotic bakery?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

lol, Patrick Stewart SNL erotic bakery?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Captain Yesterday fun fact: I was almost and erotic baker.

Alas, I also applied for a high end landscaping gig, and landscaping paid way better at the time.

Double alas, erotic baking isn't the market in the Midwest as it did in Seattle, so no erotic baking jobs I know of.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have been officially registered as a GM in the RPG department for this year's Tekko. I'll print it out the weekend before the show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
Filled dough dishes are an extremely widespread concept. From east asian gyoza and dim sum, to empanadas and the like, to polish pirog, to german knödel, to swedish Pitepalt and so on, it seems to be more or less universal. Filling out expensive meat with veggies and dough is a pretty decent idea.

And let's not forget the Italian Stromboli. Now I want one.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think I'll have two. One steak and one spinach. I'll have half of each before work, and have the rest for supper.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:

DM Cal- Tapas are small versions of a dish that are served for free with a drink or paying a reduced price ( here in my town they are free).

Popular tapas are smalls amount of paella, chorizo cooked in wine, pasta salad, fried potatos with garlic sauce, etc. But they can be very creative (there are competitions to create the best and more original tapas), and they can be any kind of dish served in small amounts.
Pinchos in the other way are even smaller, a small trait that is served always for free with the drink and you can eat in a bite or two. Depending on the time of the day it can be a small piece of sponge cake, a bite of tortilla, a cut of a sandwich, etc. The waiter often comes with a variety of them on a tray and you can choose the one you want.

Those sound wonderful... *drools*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

All this makes the pimento cheese sandwich I just ate sound pretty inadequate.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooooh! *drools* Sponge cake soaked in Rum.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Or, even better, Amaretto. *continues drooling*


4 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
All this makes the pimento cheese sandwich I just ate sound pretty inadequate.

There's NOTHING inadeaquate with peppers and cheese sandwiches. NEVER.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
IDTheftVictim wrote:
Why are we talking about pancakes when waffles are obviously superior?

Waffles are just pancakes with abs.

Anyway crepes is where it is at; strawberry, apple cinnamon, or chocolate.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
All this makes the pimento cheese sandwich I just ate sound pretty inadequate.
There's NOTHING inadeaquate with peppers and cheese sandwiches. NEVER.

Thanks! (he said as he took a bit of another such sandwich).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
All this makes the pimento cheese sandwich I just ate sound pretty inadequate.
There's NOTHING inadeaquate with peppers and cheese sandwiches. NEVER.

Especially when added to Steak or Roast Beef.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Aggree. Or roasted chicken.
Today I cooked curry chicken pasta with bell peppers. It tasted good.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kileanna wrote:

Aggree. Or roasted chicken.

Today I cooked curry chicken pasta with bell peppers. It tasted good.

That's good, too. Or Roast Pork or Turkey ( the bird, not the country :) ). And Ham slices.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Maybe I should let Baron Heshvaun know about this thread. He's always wanted a food discussion thread.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

This is a delicious thread, but I think it should have its title changed to "Came here to cook this".


2 people marked this as a favorite.

We inherited this thread from a spammer and we're trying to make something palatable of it ;-P


Spam is palatable. Hawaiians find it delicious.


I find Hawaiians delicious, but that doesn't make it legal, let alone right.

Same with Argentinian corned beef, or, indeed, Argentinians.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

OK, pancakes for breakfast, bigggggg steak for dinner.

mmmmm mmmmm gooooooood


Hunt, the PugWumpus wrote:
Spam is palatable. Hawaiians find it delicious.

I'm with the Hawaiians. I grew up eating Spam (it was a cheap food to cook the night before then take to the fields to eat at lunch. I grew up on a farm).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I grew up on a farm too.

But we ate ham.


Spam!? Good day you filthy animals.


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Hunt, the PugWumpus wrote:
Hawaiians find it delicious.

YES! On sushi, wrapped with nori


captain yesterday wrote:

I grew up on a farm too.

But we ate ham.

Oh, we ate that, too. And anything else we grew and stuff.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orville Redenbacher wrote:
Spam!? Good day you filthy animals.

Good day, you delicious, filthy animals.


Googled «spam» as a food. I didn't know where the name came from.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I mean spam is not my thing I do not like it but hey at least its not hog brain.


I ate pork brain once. Baby pork brain. There's something off on that. Didn't taste good either.


I read the info on it once the cholesterol fat and calories are off the chart.


I generally don't like Spam. It's too salty for my taste. Given a choice between Spam and an MRE, I'll take the MRE.


And speaking of Spam, I flagged two threads from our old friend, the streamer. Those two threads got squelched immediately.


Yes, I know. I don't care a lot about calories as I still have to gain some weight but cholesterol and fat are an issue.
Fortunately I like healthy food and I cook for myself, so I don't have to worry a lot.

101 to 150 of 3,716 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Came here to say this. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.