Where do you get your election coverage?


Off-Topic Discussions

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Well, it's getting to be that time again. So where do you go to get your news on the elections? I used to follow the NYT, but lately I've been greatly enjoying the Christian Science Monitor's coverage. It helps that they do have a bit of a sense of humor about it.

So, what are you reading to find out about the election?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The daily show. Sadly its the realest news on american TV. If i find a story interesting I'll google it.


A Man In Black wrote:

Well, it's getting to be that time again. So where do you go to get your news on the elections? I used to follow the NYT, but lately I've been greatly enjoying the Christian Science Monitor's coverage. It helps that they do have a bit of a sense of humor about it.

So, what are you reading to find out about the election?

Information about the horse race is generally easy to get.

If you want analysis about issue then issues based web sites are often the best source.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Bitter Thorn wrote:
Information about the horse race is generally easy to get.

Okay. Where do you get it?

Quote:
If you want analysis about issue then issues based web sites are often the best source.

Such as?


I listen to talk radio, watch the daily show and sometimes the colbert report, and watch my facebook feed-I have some very politically minded friends. The facebook feed usually links to articles, anything from WSJ and NYT to, like you linked, CSM. Kind of a crap-shoot.

But yeah, largely I act as a passive receptor of information and when something piques my interest or doesn't jibe, I seek out the source articles.


A Man In Black wrote:
Bitter Thorn wrote:
Information about the horse race is generally easy to get.

Okay. Where do you get it?

Quote:
If you want analysis about issue then issues based web sites are often the best source.
Such as?

I tend to get my horse race information from various MSM stories through the web by a news search or yahoo news. I'm not particularly fond of yahoo news, but I use yahoo mail, and some news catches my eye when I log off etc. I watch some news on TV when I'm between jobs, but very little of it is very in depth.

Weather one agree with the source or not some of the most detailed analysis comes from issue driven organizations like NRA/ILA, GOA, NARAL, NRTL, LCR, Amnesty etc.


Well, it's mostly just republicans ranting at each other at the moment so...

Grandma. Yes, my grandmother. No it's not a stupid idea. My grandmother is president of the regional chapter of the Republican Women's Federation. As they are the largest (in members and in number of active people with clipboards) Republican group in the US I feel I'm getting infinitely better news than Rick Perry's latest brain fart.

Like how Michelle Bachmann not only refused to speak at the RWF's national convention but never even had the decency to send a regretful form letter.

As soon as a real candidate is chosen I'll be getting my news from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.


Google News which, I guess, means many different sources across the interwebs. The category American Politics seems to provide a fairly broad perspective on things. I also have specialized categories to cover some of the better known third parties since the mainstream media doesn't really give them a second thought. I even have one specifically for Ron Paul since he's pretty awesome and I like to read articles about him.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Fox News. It's fair and balanced. It's the only network that showcases all those great Republican candidates and their plans to take back America.

I've learned about how the media has a strong liberal bias, and won't report anything negative about Obama. He's incompetent and mired in scandals. The only way to save our great country from his socialist agenda is to vote in one of those moral, ethical Republicans, like Newt. I like him because he sounds smart.


Benicio Del Espada wrote:

Fox News. It's fair and balanced. It's the only network that showcases all those great Republican candidates and their plans to take back America.

I've learned about how the media has a strong liberal bias, and won't report anything negative about Obama. He's incompetent and mired in scandals. The only way to save our great country from his socialist agenda is to vote in one of those moral, ethical Republicans, like Newt. I like him because he sounds smart.

Frankly this sounds like GOP talking points whipped up to resemble Cool Whip. Light and airy with little substance. Frankly frankly.

I admire your dedication to irony.


Benicio Del Espada wrote:

Fox News. It's fair and balanced. It's the only network that showcases all those great Republican candidates and their plans to take back America.

I've learned about how the media has a strong liberal bias, and won't report anything negative about Obama. He's incompetent and mired in scandals. The only way to save our great country from his socialist agenda is to vote in one of those moral, ethical Republicans, like Newt. I like him because he sounds smart.

I disagree I have seen msnbc say bad things about Obama espicially people like Ed Schultz criticizing him for not having single payer even be discussed in health care reform. I think msnbc has people for liberal policies not supporting liberal politicians.

Also have you seen buddy Reomer on Fox news because I have seen him on Msnbc.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

doctor_wu wrote:

I disagree I have seen msnbc say bad things about Obama espicially people like Ed Schultz criticizing him for not having single payer even be discussed in health care reform. I think msnbc has people for liberal policies not supporting liberal politicians.

Also have you seen buddy Reomer on Fox news because I have seen him on Msnbc.

Psst. That is a troll post.


A Man In Black wrote:
doctor_wu wrote:

I disagree I have seen msnbc say bad things about Obama espicially people like Ed Schultz criticizing him for not having single payer even be discussed in health care reform. I think msnbc has people for liberal policies not supporting liberal politicians.

Also have you seen buddy Reomer on Fox news because I have seen him on Msnbc.

Psst. That is a troll post.

I though BDE was being satirical.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Bitter Thorn wrote:
I though BDE was being satirical.

The difference is semantic.


PBS mostly. It can be dry and a bit out of touch in a well-off fogy way, but it is more news and analysis than entertainment and sensationalism. If you want to watch a speech or debate, it is the only station where commenters don’t talk over the candidates. They cover pretty much everything about the race without wallowing in the mudslinging. They get great guests and the interviews last long enough for nuanced discussion, but the round table shows can be annoyingly snippy and short.

Also,

NPR Just to get the basics driving to and from work.

Aljazeera English They report from a uniquely global perspective for a global audience, but this makes their US election coverage somewhat limited and secondhand.

Democracy Now (website ) They are a progressive nonprofit show with independent reporting. They have a professionally underground style, if that makes any sense. They always have a unique angle, stay focused on the issues and report stories no one else does.

The Young Turks (website ) They are a progressive web show. They are pretty much a talk radio show with video. Mostly commentary. Unabashedly opinionated. A little ranty. A little funny. A little silly. They are unpolished but honest, smart and usually fair. One can’t always be entirely fair in a good rant or joke (or a bad joke).

Stewart and Colbert You really need to get the extended clips on the web to learn much, but they call it like it is. It is refreshing. It is hilarious. I find them much more fun to watch after who’ve gotten the news. More comedy than news source.


I totally misread this as "Where do you get your election cleavage and I was very confused.

Right now I'm not paying too much attention to it, but most of what I hear also comes from Democracy Now and The Daily Show.


Abbasax wrote:
I totally misread this as "Where do you get your election cleavage" and I was very confused.

Ha. Sounds like a Daily Show bit.


The fix is already in so listening to election coverage is a bit pointless.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Xabulba wrote:
The fix is already in so listening to election coverage is a bit pointless.

That's why I feel perfectly justified contributing nothing to the political discourse other than vague conspiracy theories on an RPG forum!


What do you mean by the fix is in?

Who'll be the nominee? Who'll win the general? And how do you know?

It would be nice to be sure almost a year out.

Edit: Was the fix in in 2008 as well?
Cause IIRC at this point Hillary Clinton was the presumed frontrunner in the Democratic race and I think most people had written off McCain.


@thejeff - no doubt, I'd bet my savings in Vegas!


GoldenOpal wrote:

PBS mostly. It can be dry and a bit out of touch in a well-off fogy way, but it is more news and analysis than entertainment and sensationalism.

NPR Just to get the basics driving to and from work.

+1 and

+1

However, I cannae believe there is election coverage already. If half this time/energy/money was spent addressing the issues instead of staying/getting in office we would have an entirely different world.


Curaigh wrote:
GoldenOpal wrote:

PBS mostly. It can be dry and a bit out of touch in a well-off fogy way, but it is more news and analysis than entertainment and sensationalism.

NPR Just to get the basics driving to and from work.

+1 and

+1

However, I cannae believe there is election coverage already. If half this time/energy/money was spent addressing the issues instead of staying/getting in office we would have an entirely different world.

Some nations restrict campaigning time. The US has a Constitution that is claimed to prevent any such restrictions.


Abbasax wrote:
I totally misread this as "Where do you get your election cleavage and I was very confused.

Again, Fox News, which is not only fair and balanced, but the most accurate and informative, is the best network for cleavage. The women are quite attractive, and wear the shortest skirts of any news network, proving again that Fox is the place to find the best and most insightful analysis.


Abbasax wrote:
I totally misread this as "Where do you get your election cleavage and I was very confused.

The best cleavage is gained from a bra one size too small in the cup and one size too small in the chest. Need the 'and' otherwise it's not the best cleavage.

What?

Shadow Lodge

There's an election?


TOZ wrote:
There's an election?

If you watched Fox, you'd have known that! All the Republican candidates are on there all the time. It's like an infomercial for Newt.

Hannity thinks the Republicans have what it takes to get that Muslim out of there, and put a decent, forgiven Christian in the Whitehouse, with his new ideas to save the economy and the right god.

The problem is the entitlement mentality taught to liberals by our God-free schools. They just want everything handed to them and don't want to work for it like successful people do. If you're broke, it's your own fault, you moocher-class baby!

The liberals are jealous of successful people and want to tear them down. If you watched Fox, you'd have the real scoop, like me.


Benicio Del Espada wrote:

Hannity thinks the Republicans have what it takes to get that Muslim out of there, and put a decent, forgiven Christian in the Whitehouse, with his new ideas to save the economy and the right god.

The problem is the entitlement mentality taught to liberals by our God-free schools. They just want everything handed to them and don't want to work for it like successful people do. If you're broke, it's your own fault, you moocher-class baby!

The liberals are jealous of successful people and want to tear them down. If you watched Fox, you'd have the real scoop, like me.

Because as we all know, if you are poor, it's because God hates your guts.

Liberty's Edge

A Man In Black wrote:

Well, it's getting to be that time again. So where do you go to get your news on the elections? I used to follow the NYT, but lately I've been greatly enjoying the Christian Science Monitor's coverage. It helps that they do have a bit of a sense of humor about it.

So, what are you reading to find out about the election?

The Economist - It has good analysis and seems fairly balanced- or at least not connected to any of the American parties.


Usagi Yojimbo wrote:
A Man In Black wrote:

Well, it's getting to be that time again. So where do you go to get your news on the elections? I used to follow the NYT, but lately I've been greatly enjoying the Christian Science Monitor's coverage. It helps that they do have a bit of a sense of humor about it.

So, what are you reading to find out about the election?

The Economist - It has good analysis and seems fairly balanced- or at least not connected to any of the American parties.

I was thinking of subscribing, but it's sorta pricey. Totally should have put that on my xmas list.


BigNorseWolf wrote:
The daily show. Sadly its the realest news on american TV. If i find a story interesting I'll google it.

I used to watch the Daily Show religiously. Ironically, it's otherwise hard to get information as honestly as comedians can deliver it. Alas, we had to cut back on some things, and the cable bill was one of them.

I tend to get coverage online from CNN, and I'll tell you why. Because people on the extreme left often accuse them of going easy on conservatives while people on the right accuse CNN of lobbing progressives soft balls.

I figure if they seem to be pissing both sides off relatively evenly, it's probably pretty well balanced.


Quote:
I used to watch the Daily Show religiously. Ironically, it's otherwise hard to get information as honestly as comedians can deliver it. Alas, we had to cut back on some things, and the cable bill was one of them.

Its on hulu 8 hours or so after it airs

Linky because for some reason raw url's burn the eyes of the tec geeks here


Bruunwald wrote:
I used to watch the Daily Show religiously. Ironically, it's otherwise hard to get information as honestly as comedians can deliver it. Alas, we had to cut back on some things, and the cable bill was one of them.

So what the GF and I did is cancel cable TV and just have internet, then we have Hulu Plus and Netflix. So it costs us each $4 a month just to watch Daily Show and Colbert Report and we're fine with that.


The Daily Show is also free on the Comedy Central website. They also have shows in clip format going back to 1999.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Where do you get your election coverage? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.