Jon Otaguro 428's page

Organized Play Member. 341 posts (1,910 including aliases). No reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 1 alias.

Trying to make thrown weapon characters get around this requirement is silly. I have heard, well you could just hold a sling in your left hand and throw weapons in your right hand to allow you to use this stance with thrown weapons.

27 people marked this as a favorite.

I have purchased nearly every core book and most of the player companions for pf1. I have played pf1 since it came out. I understand that there are serious balance issues with pf1 and a barrier to entry for new players.

I am currently contemplating picking a different game than pf2.

My list of issues with pf2:

1) I dislike a system where creatures are built arbitrarily different from pcs. Level 0 creatures should not have +6 to hit, when their stats should not allow them to. This "feature" breaks my immersion with the system. Why even have statistics, if bonuses are arbitrarily assigned.

2) I think critical effects being tied to hit chance couples the game too closely to 50% success rates. In pf1, you could easily have a 95% chance to hit with a 5% chance to critical. In pf2, you can't get to 75% because this would skew criticals too much. I personally dislike a game based on 50% success rate.

3) The feats assigned to classes are currently mostly uninteresting. If you are going to go this fashion, take a page from video games and make them meaningful.

4) Spellcasting has been overly nerfed. Spellcasting is weaker than starfinder, which nerfed spells significantly. A friend commented that this makes pf2 not high fantasy.

5) Certain mechanics are "whacked". Heavy armor penalties are too high. Shields get destroyed too easily. Longbows should not have the volley rule. Range weapons were overly nerfed when the new action economy and lack of range feats levels the disparity from range to melee.

Under wizard it says to go to pg 291. On page 291, there is no example to calculate the DC for a spell.

PC aliens in First Contact have a net +3 in statistics. PC races in the core rulebook have a net +2. Are First Contact races going to be changed to fall in line with Core Rulebook options?

3 people marked this as a favorite.

As I was participating in a thread relating to a fighter. I realized that the fighter should have been unchained instead of the barbarian.

Here is my unchained fighter version:

Skills - change to 4+INT per level

Bravery - Change to Superior Saves. The fighter can choose one save (either fortitude, reflex or will) and gain a +1 to that save at level 3. At 6th level and every 3 levels after, the fighter gains another +1 to one save (either fortitude, reflex or will).

Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization - these feats are now available to all classes. When a fighter chooses one of these feats, they apply to a fighter weapon Group instead of a single weapon.

Weapon Training - 1 at level 4, 2 at level 8, 3 at level 12, 4 at level 16, 5 at level 20. Each level of weapon training gives a +1 hit and damage to all weapons. A fighter can opt to choose a single weapon group instead. If he does this he gains +1 Hit/+2 Damage with that weapon group instead of the normal +1 Hit/+1 Damage to all weapons.

Armor Training 1 at level 2, 2 at level 6, 3 at level 10, 4 at level 14, and 5 at level 18. Each level of armor training reduces the ACP of armor by 1. The fighter gets +1 to AC while wearing armor for each level of armor training. He can move at normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 6th level, a fighter can move at normal speed while wearing heavy armor.

Bonus Feats - Bonus feats can be selected from any available feats (not restricted to combat feats).

I advocated for a faster change time between social and vigilante identities or access to abilities with a penalty to reputation. In my mind it doesn't make sense to split abilities to only be used in one identity.

The developers changed the change time to 1 minute, which in my opinion is still way too long. The talents which speed up the change time are so required by the class that they should not be talents and should be in play at first level.

In any pathfinder game I have played, there is no way I would ever be in social identity with a 1 minute change time. As such in my opinion the entire social side of the class would cease to exist. You may as well dump all those social abilities into the trash can as far as I am concerned.

The power level of the 4 specializations is still too low. Of the four, the only one I would consider playing is the stalker because it has some neat abilities.

The avenger is a weak fighter with 6 skill points per level. Nothing about this class currently would make me play it over a slayer or ranger. The slayer gets the same amount of talents plus sneak attack, a D10 HP, studied target and a few other class features.

The spellcasting progression of the warlock and zealot is in my opinion dumb and takes up too many of their talents. Like the avenger not comparing favorably to the slayer, I don't see these classes as being comparable to the magus, bard or inquisitor.

Part of my issue with this class as a whole is that it doesn't fit into the pathfinder genre. If you are playing one of Paizo's adventure paths, it is likely that you will never have to be in social identity and you won't want to be, because of the 1 minute change time.

And therefore balancing the class power with a feature (split identity) that will never be used makes for a weak class.

Looking for people's thoughts on this archtype.

You get heavy armor, armor swiftness armor training and blood deflection.

You lose fast movement, uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge and damage reduction.

I figure that for 3 AC (AC difference between plate and breastplate), you are going from a 40' move to 25'.

Currently looking at an aberrant primalist bloodrager and deciding if steelblood is worth it. I think it's not worth it, but looking for opinions.

The GM allowed me to change the paladin I was playing to a swashbuckler to try out the new class. In the playtest, I was mostly fighting 4 HD guardsmen, so they weren't much of a threat. It also meant I couldn't get back any panache points. I was doing around 30 damage per hit, which is pretty good for a level 10 character.

In my opinion, swashbuckler plays at a power level above a fighter at level 10 - in that it gets weapon training, some bonus feats, precision damage of 1 per level, +2 initiative, nimble for bonus to dodge, and 4 skill points per level. More so at level 11 when I gain evasion, uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge, immune to sunder/disarm/steal, bleed and signature deed. When I commented on what swashbucklers got at level 11, some of the other players thought that was a lot to get at one level.

I misread opportune parry in that I thought I could use it after the result. This makes it kind of weak until you get signature deed. I didn't use any active deeds except for opportune parry (which I used wrong). So generally I would probably just use panache offensively until level 11 with signature deed. To help power level at low levels, it might be helpful to make precise strike level 1 and opportune parry and riposte to level 3. I don't really see opportune parry as being very useful until you get signature deed.

I would definitely play the swashbuckler in it's current form, but think that it might be a little too good at high levels and maybe a little weak at lower levels.

The introduction of the gunslinger reminds me of the ranger class in ffxi (final fantasy 11 mmorpg). When I first started playing ffxi, ranger was king in damage, but the ammunition costed a lot of gil (the currency in the game). As the game aged, the game designers toned down the damage of the ranger damage. The result was a class that was outdamaged by other melee classes, but still cost a lot to play. Many players stopped playing ranger except to events where being a ranged character was useful.

The similarities of the lower damage ranger in ffxi compare to the gunslinger in this playtest as people think the gunslinger will do low dpr and cost a lot to fire their guns. At least in ffxi, you could change to a different class. In pathfinder, you are stuck as a gunslinger.

I think this is a very large issue to the class; maybe as big as the lack of damage. I don't think the grit ability to produce 3 bullets and ammunition goes far enough to make this problem go away. I think one solution is to greatly reduce the cost of guns and ammo or make a gunslinger class ability to do that.

A lot of potential issues were discovered in other games. To ignore problems discovered by other games is risking the same thing happening in pathfinder.