About Garduk the Unteachable
Garduk the Unteachable
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 36 (6d6+10)
Fort +4 (+5 circumstance bonus vs. cold weather), Ref +5, Will +6
Defensive Abilities orc ferocity
Speed 30 ft.
Melee club +3 (1d6) or
cold iron dagger +3 (1d4/19-20) or
dagger +3 (1d4/19-20) or
handaxe -1 (1d6/×3)
Ranged light crossbow +5 (1d8/19-20)
Special Attacks arcane reservoir (3/12), arcanist exploits (dimensional slide[ACG], quick study[ACG]), consume spells
Arcanist (Occultist) Spells Prepared (CL 6th; concentration +11)
3rd (3/day)—stinking cloud (DC 19)
2nd (5/day)—create pit[APG] (DC 18), false life
1st (6/day)—burning hands (DC 16), feather fall, grease (DC 17), vanish[APG] (DC 16)
0 (at will)—detect magic, ghost sound (DC 15), mage hand, message, open/close (DC 15), prestidigitation, read magic
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 15
Feats Augment Summoning, Endurance, Extra Reservoir[ACG], Spell Focus (conjuration)
Traits outsider ties, reactionary
Skills Craft (bookbinding) +9, Diplomacy +3 (+5 vs. geniekind), Fly +6, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (engineering) +9, Knowledge (geography) +9, Knowledge (history) +10 (+12 vs. Azlant), Knowledge (local) +9, Knowledge (nature) +9, Knowledge (nobility) +9, Knowledge (planes) +14 (+16 vs. geniekind), Knowledge (religion) +9, Linguistics +13 (+15 to learn about Azlanti sentence construction and idioms), Perception +6, Spellcraft +14, Survival +0 (+2 to navigate Jungles of Mwangi Expanse, +2 to avoid becoming lost), Use Magic Device +6
Languages Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Common, Dwarven, Giant, Ignan, Orc, Skald, Terran, Tien, Varisian, Vudrani
SQ conjurer's focus (Summon Monster III, 6 minutes), half-orc arcanist, orc blood
Combat Gear cold iron crossbow bolts (30), cold iron crossbow bolts (8), potion of cure light wounds (2), potion of cure moderate wounds, potion of remove sickness, runestone of power (1st)[ACG], scroll of abundant ammunition, gravity bow, scroll of alarm, scroll of ant haul, scroll of anticipate peril, scroll of arcane pocket, expeditious retreat, stumble gap, scroll of burning hands, scroll of comprehend languages, scroll of comprehend languages (x2), scroll of daylight, scroll of detect undead (x3), scroll of endure elements, scroll of expeditious excavation, scroll of false life (x2), scroll of floating disk, scroll of heightened awareness (x2), scroll of heightened awareness (x4), scroll of identify (x2), scroll of kreighton's perusal, memorize page, scroll of levitate, scroll of magic missile, scroll of magic missile, scroll of magic weapon, scroll of mount, scroll of polypurpose panacea, scroll of remove sickness, scroll of shield, scroll of speak local language, scroll of touch of the sea (x3), scroll of unseen servant, scroll of vanish, wand of endure elements (24 charges), wand of infernal healing (36 charges), wand of mage armor (16 charges), wand of magic missile (CL 3rd, 6 charges), wand of shield (30 charges), air crystal, alchemist's fire (2), alchemist's fire (3), alchemist's kindness[APG], alkali flask[APG], holy water, smelling salts[APG]; Other Gear club, cold iron dagger, crossbow bolts (2), dagger, handaxe, light crossbow, aegis of recovery[UE], belt of mighty constitution +2, cloak of resistance +1, cracked mossy disk ioun stone, handy haversack, headband of vast intelligence +2, hex nail, wayfinder[ISWG], bandolier[UE], bedroll, belt pouch, bookbinding tools, canvas (sq. yd.), chalk (3), cheat sheath[ACG], cold weather outfit, filter scarf[UW], flint and steel, grappling bolt[UE], ink, inkpen, journal[UE], mask of the tiger's eye (pss 01-33) (worth 55 gp), mug/tankard, pathfinder chronicle[ISWG], pathfinder chronicle[ISWG], pathfinder chronicle[ISWG], pathfinder chronicle[ISWG], pathfinder chronicles, volume 1, potion sponge[ARG], sb1, sb2, silk rope (50 ft.), soap, soul candle, spell component pouch, tindertwig (5), trail rations (7), twine (50')[APG], vial, waterproof bag[UE], waterskin, wrist sheath, spring loaded, wrist sheath, spring loaded, 344 gp, 2 sp, 6 cp
+1 to concentration checks from damage Gain a +1 bonus on concentration checks made due to taking damage while casting arcanist spells.
Arcane Reservoir +1 DC or CL (12/day) (Su) Pool of points fuel exploits, or can expend to add +1 CL or DC while cast spell.
Augment Summoning Summoned creatures have +4 to Strength and Constitution.
Conjurer's Focus (Summon Monster III, 6 minutes) (Sp) Cast summon monster spells with points from arcane reservoir.
Consume Spells (2/day) (Su) As a move action, expend a spell slot to add its spell levels to arcane reservoir.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Dimensional Slide (60 feet) (Su) Use 1 reservoir as part of move/withdraw, move to spot in sight for only 5 ft movement & no AoO.
Endurance +4 to a variety of fort saves, skill and ability checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
Orc Blood Half-orcs count as both humans and orcs for any effect related to race.
Orc Ferocity (1/day) If brought below 0 Hp, can act as though disabled for 1 rd.
Quick Study (Ex) Use 1 reservoir as a full rd action, consult spellbook to switch out mem spell (provokes AoO).
Spell Focus (Conjuration) Spells from one school of magic have +1 to their save DC.[/statblock]
- Arcanist exploit: Quick Study
- Feat: Augment Summoning
- Arcanist exploit: Dimensional Slide
- Feat: Extra Reservoir
- Planar Contact added; no arcanist exploit (or Potent Magic)
- Feat: Summon Neutral Monster (Champions of Balance)? (or Expanded Summon Monster, or Versatile Summon Monster, or Superior Summoning, or Extra Arcanist Exploit?)
- Arcanist exploit: Spell Resistance (and Consume Magic Items?)
- Feat: One of the summoning feats not taken at level 7, Extra Reservoir, or Extra Arcanist Exploit
- Arcanist exploit: Greater Spell Resistance (and Counterspell?)
- Feat: Extra Reservoir or Extra Arcanist Exploit
BBCode for Garduk's common PbP rolls:
[dice=Ranged touch attack]1d20 + 5[/dice]
[dice=Concentration check]1d20 + 9[/dice]
- Acid Splash/Ray of Frost
- Disrupt Undead
- Light crossbow
- Magic Missle (casting or from Wand of Magic Missile (CL 3))
- Saving throws
Basic combat strategy, use if botting Garduk:
If Garduk needs to be botted, my preference would be for Kulga (Cwethan) or Brayne (Batpony) to handle it if they're playing in the scenario and willing.
Heading into a possible fight:
- Confirm mage armor is up, cast from wand if not (1 hour)
- Confirm false life is up; cast it if not. If prepared, cast it (5 hours) and then swap it for web, frost fall, or scorching ray using quick study exploit (1 point from arcane reservoir). If not prepared, cast from scroll (3 hours).
- Cast heightened awareness from scroll for +2 bonus to perception and knowledge checks, and then expend remaining duration for +4 bonus to initiative (10 minutes)
- If this is a scenario that Brayne is in, use wand to cast mage armor on him (1 hour).
- Use wand to cast mage armor on any other PCs who would benefit from it at all
When combat is likely imminent but hasn't started yet:
- Cast shield from wand (1 minute)
- Draw wand of magic missile (CL3) to be ready
1. Round 1: Unless the combat looks particularly easy or the final boss, summon a small elemental, see aliases for statblocks and details. Garduk summons as a standard action when using his arcane reservoir to power his Conjurer's Focus spell-like ability; at level 5, creatures summoned with his SLA last for 5 minutes. They get +4 to Strength and Constitution from Augment Summoning, and elementals get 1 temporary hit point for each level of the spell (or SLA) used to summon them from the Outsider Ties Dark Archive faction trait (bonuses are included in the statblocks for aliases). Garduk speaks a lot of languages (including all four elemental languages), so he can command most summoned creatures beyond just “attack my nearest enemy.” They can be flanking buddies for martial characters, bodyguards for Garduk, scouts, etc.
- Amelia the Air Elemental for flying enemies;
- Ernie the Earth Elemental ground combat where slow speed doesn’t matter or a burrow speed and improved bull rush would be useful;
- Felicia the Fire Elemental for ground combat if enemies are spread out or particularly vulnerable to fire;
- Wanda the Water Elemental for water combat, but that's never happened;
- If the combat looks easy, Garduk would probably just use his wand of magic missile (¶ 5). If it looks like the boss fight, he will want to summon from the Summon Monster III list. I am still learning the list to see what I like, but have found Lorna the Lantern Archon to be very useful as a tough-to-kill helper, teleporting around the battlefield to cast unlimited aid spells and make ranged touch attacks. Alternatively, summon 1d3 small elementals from the SM2 list.
2. Did Garduk cast shield? If not, he should probably pop the wand out of his spring-loaded wrist sheath and do that. Casting mage armor on a summoned creature is another option.
3. Is Kulga playing in this scenario? Try to cast vanish on her early. If not, consider casting it on another character if there is someone who might benefit (rogue, slayer, anyone who could use +2 on attack rolls, etc.).
4. Battlefield control. Garduk tries to use his spells sparingly, because arcanists get fewer spell slots per day than wizards or sorcerers and can convert them to arcane reservoir points if needed. That said, he often casts grease early in a combat if it looks like it won't interfere with the martial PCs' movement, and if casting create pit or another level 2 area of effect spell he has prepared (web, frost fall, etc.) will make a significant difference, then go ahead. If not, hold off.
5. Use the wand of magic missile (CL3). As of 2019-03-10, there are 8 charges left from the original 25, and I have a chronicle sheet that allows me to buy another. Don't worry about burning charges; all things being equal, Garduk would rather use a wand charge than a spell slot.
6. Use any wand or scroll that makes sense - protection from evil, for example, might be useful; as of 2019-01-05, Garduk has two scrolls each with PfE twice, so he could cover most of the party if need be, although only for 1 minute.
7. Use Dimensional Slide exploit (NEW!) to get around the battlefield if needed to cast touch spells on allies or to escape imminent doom.
8. If there is a spell Garduk has in his spellbook that would be absolutely perfect for the situation but he does not have it prepared, he can spend a point from his arcane reservoir to swap it for a prepared spell as a full-round action (provokes attacks of opportunity, so try not to do it when he could be interrupted by dying). This isn't necessarily a last resort, but it is expensive because it uses some of every resource he has: time, arcane reservoir, and spells per day. Use sparingly.