Starfinder Near Space releases this month, and to show off some of the new character options available in the book, we present Sheevak Smoke-Eater, an NPC antagonist and rival that you can use in your Starfinder campaigns. Among his many abilities, Sheevak utilizes an alternate vesk racial trait and the battle leader archetype, in addition to a new weapon in the form of the doshakari, all from Near Space. While NPCs don’t normally use themes, we’ve given Sheevak the stormrunner theme to give you a sneak peek at one of the new themes from the book as well. In addition, we offer a brief look at Sheevak’s current base of operations, the gas giant Ulthel, which is fully detailed in Near Space.
Content from other Starfinder products is marked with the following abbreviations: NS (Starfinder Near Space) and PW (Starfinder Pact Worlds). These books are available here on paizo.com or online at sfrd.info.
SHEEVAK SMOKE-EATER CR 6
- XP 2,400
- Male vesk operative (battle leaderNS)
- CE Medium humanoid (vesk)
- Init +7; Senses low-light vision; Perception +14
DEFENSE HP 80 RP 4
- EAC 19; KAC 20
- Fort +5; Ref +8; Will +9
- Defensive Abilities armor savant, evasion
- Speed 40 ft.
- Melee tactical doshakari +12 (1d6+7 P; critical wound [DC 15]; analog, disarm, operative) or unarmed strike +12 (1d3+4 B)
- Ranged advanced shobhad horizon striker +14 (3d4+6 P; analog, sniper [1,000 ft.], unwieldy) or frostbite-class zero pistol +14 (1d6+6 C; critical staggered [DC 17])
- Offensive Abilities debilitating trick, natural weapons, trick attack +3d8
- Str +2; Dex +5; Con +1; Int +0; Wis +1; Cha +4
- Skills Acrobatics +19, Athletics +14, Culture +14, Intimidate +14, Survival +19 (+23 with trick attack)
- Languages Common, Iji, Pahtra, Vesk
- Other Abilities brawnyNS, operative exploits (ever vigilant), specialization (explorer), stormrunner themeNS (eye of the storm, theme knowledge), victory cry NS (got ’em!, regroup)
- Gear freebooter armor II (jetpack), advanced shobhad horizon strikerPW with 25 sniper rounds, frostbite-class zero pistol with 1 battery (20 charges), tactical doshakariNS, mk 2 serum of healing, adamantine alloy cable line (50 feet), environmental clothing (zero gravity), grappler, signal jammer (level 6); Augmentations cardiac accelerator
- Brawny Sheevak takes pride in being as physically fit as possible. He gains a +2 racial bonus to Athletics and Acrobatics checks. This alternate racial trait replaces fearless.
- Eye of the Storm When in stormy conditions, Sheevak is able to gather greater information about his surroundings. His visibility range in a storm is reduced by only half, and he takes a –4 penalty to Perception checks instead of –8. When he succeeds at a Survival check to endure severe weather, he can move his full overland speed and still receive the +2 bonus to Fortitude saves against severe weather. He suffers the forced movement and takes damage from a failed Acrobatics check to fly in dangerous wind conditions only if he fails the check by 10 or more, instead of by 5 or more.
- Stormrunner Theme Sheevak is trained to navigate the tumultuous atmospheres of gas giants with grace, learning weather patterns and recognizing the order in the apparent randomness of storms. Stormrunners gain an ability adjustment of +1 to Dexterity at character creation.
- Stormrunner Theme Knowledge The life of a stormrunner is about beating the odds in high-risk situations. Reduce the DC of Survival checks to endure severe weather, orienteer, and predict weather when in rainy, snowy, or windy conditions by 5.
- Tactical Doshakari This punch dagger resembles a miniature doshko extending from the knuckles, with one to four diamond‑shaped blades.
- Victory Cry (Ex) Followers of a tradition that originated in the Veskarium among devout followers of Damoritosh, battle leaders are known for celebrating victories as they happen. Sheevak knows how to capitalize on his allies’ successes in battle, inspiring them to further incredible feats. As a reaction when Sheevak or an ally scores a critical hit against a significant enemy with an attack or drops a significant enemy to 0 Hit Points, he can issue a victory cry, choosing one of the following and providing its benefits to all allies within 60 feet (but not Sheevak himself):
- Got ’Em!: Affected allies gain a +2 morale bonus to damage rolls until the end of their next turn.
- Regroup: The triggering ally regains 10 Stamina Points.
- These alternate class features replace the operative exploit class features normally gained at 2nd and 4th level.
Sheevak Smoke-Eater is a veteran stormrunner, leading a team salvaging minerals and other valuable resources from the atmospheres of gas giants. He’s currently working for Project Omega, a top secret research facility in orbit around the Near Space gas giant Ulthel. Sheevak’s mission is to take samples from ulthelim, the planet’s native species, for study by Project Omega’s scientists. Project leader Dr. Holton-8 pays well, and ethical characters who seek to shut down Sheevak and his employers are in for a fight.
For members of Sheevak’s stormrunning team, you can use the stats for the mercenary rookie on page 174 of Starfinder Pact Worlds, but replace their Stealth skill with Acrobatics +13 and add the Eye of the Storm and Stormrunner Theme Knowledge special abilities from Sheevak’s stat block above.
Ulthel is a gas giant in Near Space with a toxic atmosphere, home to a species of jellyfish-like creatures known as ulthelim. Early visitors to Ulthel reported hearing mental pleas from the ulthelim, which begged the visitors in a single cacophonous voice to partake of the planet’s wisdom, to merge with the clouds of ulthelim, and to become one with the planet as a single entity. These were always the last reports visitors logged before they themselves disappeared without a trace. To some, visiting the planet is a surefire death sentence. But to others, the transformative nature of the ulthelim represents a blueprint of utopia. To still others, the gas giant holds a potential gold mine of riches and scientific secrets that’s worth braving any risk.
For more character options and more details about Ulthel and dozens of other Near Space Worlds, check out Starfinder Near Space, available now!