GM Otha’s Corpses in Kalsgard (Inactive)

Game Master Otha

Maps/Slides


251 to 271 of 271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

Seeing Ellux stunned, Meri whips another dagger at him
dagger: 1d20 + 10 - 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 - 4 + 2 + 2 = 111d4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 = 64d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 1, 3) = 13+2 for BoF and inspire, +2 damage from inspire, sneak cuz he's denied dec bonus...woohoo!

im rerollong that attack using my folio...
reroll: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 + 2 - 4 = 19
19 damage

just had a thought...could i climb the wall to attack next roubd? didnt use my move this round

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Ushi casts another burst of light, attempting to set up Merisel for further sneak attacks.

Burst of Radiance Damage: 5d4 ⇒ (2, 1, 3, 4, 2) = 12
Round Duration: 1d4 ⇒ 4 DC17 Reflex against Blind/Dazzle.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

While Garuda pops all the images, the Son of Cayden’s whip lashes around the necromancer, Meri’s accurate dagger throw sinks deeply into his gut, and Ushi’s resounding sonic burst bursts Ellux’s eardrums. The gnome screams out loudly as he falls…except his wails fall silent on your ears as Arin’s silence spell takes effect. He plummets and lands with a very silent thud…and breathes no more…

COMBAT Over! Pathfinders victorious!

Meri (-6)
Catushlara (-8)
Ellux (dead)
Skeletons (all dead)

Ellux’s Lair (Slide 6)

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

We should probably make sure we check the entire area, so no future budding necromancers can come in here and find notes and other materials.

Baretta will dismount from Garuda, give Garuda a treat and start to search Ellux and the area.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

"Leaving necromantic components unsecured never turns out well, it is known." Ushi agrees, casting another divination for magical auras as he follows Baretta.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

With the threat gone, Arin's speech returns to normal.

Let's see how much we find. We might need the society to return here with a cart depending on what the back room looks like...

Arin proceeds North through his dead-sound zone, checking for hazards along the way.

Perception, traps: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Upon his corpse, you find Ellux’s spellbook contains accelerate poison APG, animate dead, obscuring mist, reduce person, and all 0-level spells, worth over 1200 gp. Despite his errant ways, Ellux’s laboratory equipment is quite sophisticated, and could be repurposed to more socially acceptable uses in arcane and medical study, and worth another 500 gp.

A thorough search of Ellux’s pockets reveals, in addition to the gear he is carrying, the following note:

“The time for the king’s ascension draws near sooner than anticipated. Prepare your army to march south as quickly as possible. Do not agitate the warriors of Kalsgard; let your passage south be a whisper.”

Moving to the north, you find modest chambers that served as living quarters for the necromancer Ellux. This small room contains a dirty but soft bed with black silk sheets, a desk and chair, a nightstand, a dresser, a bookshelf, and a chamber pot in one corner. The desk is quite tidy, but bears an open book next to an inkwell and quill. A dust-covered but fine rug fills the center of the room.

Ellux’s Lair (Slide 6)

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

I don't like the sound of this note. The Sovereign Court is familiar with all the royalty in the Inner Sea, and I don't think I am familiar with a new King Ascending.

Knowledge (Nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Baretta will also check out the open book, right after he moves the carpet to check for a secret trap door, because what else are carpets for?


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

Good riddance... Meri says flatly as she goes to retrieve her daggers.

That sounds ominous...the powers that be should be made aware...just in case... she ponders aloud as she looks around for anything of note or value.

paerc, +3 if traps: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23

Rug might have value to someone...if it's not a bad looking one...

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

"It might be referring to Linnorm King." Catushlara offers.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Upon reflection, Baretta nods in agreement with Catushlara about it most likely meaning the Linnorm King…

Impressed with the surprisingly lush carpet, Meri figures it could be worth up to 300 gp if the dirt is shaken off…

Upon searching the room, the only other thing of note is Ellux’s journal. While a thorough read of Ellux’s journal would take several hours, skimming its contents requires only a few minutes…

The journal details Ellux’s thoughts on the “natural advantages” of the gnome race, due to their fey lineage, and his belief that the Bleaching is a result of gnomes living in diaspora among those lacking the “First World’s blessings.” It further goes on to describe his vision for a kingdom of the gnomes, and the fact that he believes the Lands of the Linnorm Kings’ close ties to the First World makes the land the rightful property of the gnomes. Frustrated at his inability to find traction with this scheme amongst other gnomes, Ellux turned to necromancy to build an undead army (comprised of gnomes and traditional gnome allies, of course), and claim the kingdom by force…

After skimming a hundred pages or so of Ellux’s frustrations and failures in the art of necromancy, the journal picks up again when the gnome records meeting with a mysterious gnome who introduced herself as Niosh. Niosh offered Ellux training in necromancy in exchange for providing an army of undead minions at a future date. The powerhungry gnome agreed, but quickly began to regret his decision as Niosh proved a demanding creditor, soon forcing Ellux to increase his production of undead far beyond the rate he had been capable of and threatening dire consequences should he fail to do so. The last few weeks of the book detail how Ellux happened upon the ghost of Humush Mum, attempted to control her magically, failed, and ultimately resorted to kidnapping her family and holding them hostage to ensure the ghost’s obedience…

Ellux’s Lair (Slide 6)

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

Arin gets a rare, slightly sad and forlorn expression as the intentions of Niosh and Ellux are revealed. It doesn't last long before he is again stoic and plain.

So not only did he force the compliance of Humush Mum, but he employed her powers against other gnomes.

He shakes his head.

If he was to keep targeting "us," who would be left to inherit his gnome-ruled Linnorm kingdom? he asks to no-one in-particular, knowing that they can no longer question Ellux.

Actually, is he completely dead, or cycling through negative hit points still? I feel like it's been several minutes though, so even if he hadn't immediately died, he likely has by now.

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Ushi feels a sense of foreboding at the mention of the king, but says nothing.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

Son stops joking around when the Pathfinders find the truth about Ellux' scheme. He puts a hand on Arin's shoulder, and with a whisper that only Arin can register, says "That's tough, pal. Let me know if I can do anything or if you need someone to talk later..."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Moonscar | Kalsgard
Arin Qualnoh wrote:
Actually, is he completely dead, or cycling through negative hit points still? I feel like it's been several minutes though, so even if he hadn't immediately died, he likely has by now.

To borrow from the Wizard of Oz:

“And he’s not only merely dead,
He’s really most sincerely dead…”

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None
GM Otha wrote:

To borrow from the Wizard of Oz:

“And he’s not only merely dead,
He’s really most sincerely dead…”

lol

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None
Son of Cayden wrote:
Son stops joking around when the Pathfinders find the truth about Ellux' scheme. He puts a hand on Arin's shoulder, and with a whisper that only Arin can register, says "That's tough, pal. Let me know if I can do anything or if you need someone to talk later..."

Arin attempts a warm smile (hard for him) and whispers back I will be fine. In the end we thwarted this scheme with small amount of loss, in the grand scheme of things. The gnomes will recover with opportunity for wanderlust, as we always do.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

You take your findings first to the awaiting Quil and Humush Mum. Quil expresses her sincere gratitude to you and the rapidly-fading Humush Mum has a request; she'd like you to take her to see her family one last time...

You do so; she and her family have a tearful reunion, during which Humush tells them each that she loves them and asks them all to go on with their lives and be happy. As Humush’s spirit moves on and her incorporeal form fades away, she thanks you one final time, a sentiment that is echoed by her family.

You then report back to Venture-Captain Torrsen to report to him. Bjersig shows extreme interest in Ellux’s notes and journals, thanking you, and assuring you that he will further investigate the identity of the gnome Niosh, and will pass along what he finds out...

Finally, as you depart the Iceferry Lodge, you notice a large throng of people milling about and chattering excitedly. Heading over to investigate, you discover that the crowd has grown up around a crier from Kalsgard, across the river, who is loudly repeating the following message:

“Hear ye, hear ye! Thira Ash-Eyes, the youngest daughter of the mighty and wise Linnorm King Sveinn Blood-Eagle, has just returned to Kalsgard triumphant after a mighty quest! She was seen bearing the head of a ferocious linnorm through the gates of the city, announcing her claim to her father’s throne!”

Each time the crier finishes, an eruption of questions and comments bursts forth from the crowd: cries of jubilation; cheers for the new Linnorm King; angry cries that it’s a trick or that Thira cheated; demands to know what type of linnorm it was, if she was wounded, how her siblings and father responded to the news; and so on. But the messenger has no further information to provide, which does nothing to quell rampant rumor and speculation. Exaggerated stories spread through the town like wildfire, such that by the time you are boarding a boat to head home, you hear rumors that Thira has been proven a fraud, that she has slain all her brothers and sisters, that her father had disowned her, and that she has already taken the throne as her father plans for his final quest. Other mutually-exclusive, outlandish claims are also uttered by townsfolk...

You sail away from the harbor, content in having done your duty and glad to be free from all the rumors and pareanoia aabout the succession in Kalsgard. And you live happily ever after...or do you?

CONGRATULATIONS! You have successfully completed Corpses in Kalsgard (S10-19)! You each gain 1 XP!

Primary Success Conditions: Successfully slay or otherwise defeat Ellux the necromancer. SUCCESS! You each gain 1 PP!

Secondary Success Conditions: Free Humush’s family from the necromancer’s clutches before Humush kills Quil Tabberdash. SUCCESS! You each gain 1 PP! In addition, you gain the Blessing of Nivi boon (shown on your Chronicle).


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

I'm glad we could help bring some closure to the Mums... Meri says as they tell their findings to the gnomes.

This place is a powder keg ready to explode...let's get out of here as soon as we can. she says warily as the temperature of the town rises with the proclamation of a new Linnorm King.

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Indeed Meri, I think that is the best we could have done for the Mum family, under such trying circumstances.

Unfortunately, the succession of rulers sometimes involves turmoil. Baretta comments as they leave.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

"The Hall of Seven Wagers was a blast! too bad we have to leave right away... I could have spent a few more days here with our gnomish hosts!"

251 to 271 of 271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Otha’s Corpses in Kalsgard: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.