GM Otha’s Corpses in Kalsgard (Inactive)

Game Master Otha

Maps/Slides


51 to 100 of 271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

This investigation phase is pretty much scripted; Diplomacy to find clues outside the house (neighbors, businesses) and Perception inside it, which y’all have been doing…I’ll wait a bit for others to participate if they wish before posting…

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Can we do both? or just one?

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Start with just one, it’ll give a chance for others to pitch in…but if not all clues are found, then you can do the other as well…there is no time crunch…

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Ushi inquires with the neighbors about any unusual sights or sounds leading up to the unfortunate death.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

Meri examines the outside while the others chat up the locals.

not gonna bother wit a Pec roll since we're outside...and just realized the my edit to make her lvl 7 didnt save..will get to it tonight...sometimes i hate this website...

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

No worries, Meri, I feel your pain…I’ve lost more than a few posts on this site…

Between the Son of Cayden, Arin, Baretta, & Ushi silvery tongues, you hear the following (which all is you can discover outside the house):

A butcher across the street:
He shrugs nonchalantly when asked. “Sad to hear about what happened to Yuenosh. Not sure why anyone would investigate it, though. I mean, that’s just what gnomes do, isn’t it? It’s sad, but it happens all the time around these parts. The ice and snow just doesn’t agree with them.”

An elderly man with a sour frown who lives just down the street:
He scoffs when asked about Yuenosh. “Can’t say I’ll be sorry to miss that one. A degenerate, she was. Always off gambling into the wee hours of the night with those other gnomes in that cult run by her,” he gestures to Quil to demonstrate who he means. “Probably racked up a big debt and decided life wasn’t worth living anymore.”

Yuenosh’s next-door neighbor:
She is a human woman who pulls herself away from her three young children to answer your questions. “I was the one who found her, yes. It can’t have been more than a minute or two after it happened. I heard a scream come from her house, but before I rushed over, I first had to put Tabitha down.” She gestures to one of the screaming children. “I ran over and pounded on the door, but when there was no answer I grabbed something heavy and broke it down. But there was no one there. No sign of anyone else, even.”

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

Thank you very much for that information. I will leave you to tend to these children now. May they scream through long lives.

Rejoining the group he compares notes with the others.

Ready to head into the house.

The first thing Arin does after they enter the threshold is to focus his divine eye of magic on the place where it is pointed out that Yuenosh was found. Detect magic.

Then, searching for other clues in that same room... Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

Catushlara walks through the house carefully as she surveys the place.
perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
Turning to Arin the half-elf asks: "Do gnomes scream when the bleaching occurs?"

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Ushi moves slowly behind the party, scanning the house with divination magic for any remnants of magical auras.

Perception Aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Detect Magic.


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

auto aid the Perception roll...on phone right now...will update the profile when my *^$%( computer is done updating....stupid Windows update...

Meri looks around with her trained eye.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

You enter the house to investigate there. While you detect no magic, Arin & Catushlara, aided by Ushi and Meri, find out the following:

Clue 1:
There are no signs of forced entry, and no signs of a struggle.

Clue 2:
The body of an elderly gnome lies in the middle of the living room with no obvious wounds, hair and skin bleached unnaturally white. Her face is contorted in a terrifying grimace, and her hands are raised feebly in the air, as though to shield herself from something. A successful DC 15 Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (nature) check confirms that bleaching is typically a slow and gradual process, and a gnome under the effects of bleaching should not be able to exhibit as much fear as this corpse does.

Clue 3:
A small workshop contains a half-dozen unfinished contraptions, revealing that the resident had a passion for tinkering and inventing.

Clue 4:
A message has been scrawled on one wall of the house in a very faint, almost invisible substance. It reads, “Help me. I am the ghost of Humush Mum. A necromancer is holding my family hostage and forcing me to kill. They are in—”

DC 15 Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (planes), or Knowledge (religion) pertaining to Clue 4:
You confirm that the message is written in ectoplasm.

You have found all available clues…

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20

"Very unnatural." Ushi gestures to the message that Arin and Catushlara have pointed out to the rest of the party. "The medium of the message lends credence to its claim. Ectoplasm is most commonly generated by ghosts and other incorporeal undead. It seems Quil was right to suspect foul play."

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

"No signs of forced entry." Catushlara notes as she takes a look at the door and the windows. "Hmmm. Bleaching is a slow and gradual process isn't it? It shouldn't have left her face in such a condition. I've heard of the phrase "scaring the life out of someone" but this looks literally the case.
Knowledge(local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Knowledge(religion): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Standing up from her investigation of the corpse Catushlara squints as she takes a closer look at the wall Ushi is pointing at. [b]"What's this? 'Help me. I am the ghost of Humush Mum. A necromancer is holding my family hostage and forcing me to kill. They are in—'." she ponders for a few moments. "Quil, do you know anyone by the name of Humush Mum? The message here says they are a ghost being controlled by a necromancer. Any necromancers around here?"

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

This is strange indeed. What would a necromancer gain from scaring gnomes to death?


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

Bodies. Meri says flatly. Or proof of concept...if they made something and wanted to test it...who knows...

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

Ah, this makes much more sense as a potential cause. Now, we have a necromancer on our hands. We have to hope the other victims left us more clues to find them. Humush Mum. I wonder if this person was well known in town.

He nods at Meri's intuition. It usually is the simpler answers. He waits to hear if Quil has any info on necromancers in the area, or Humush Mum.

On the way, Arin will knock on the neighbor's door just one more time to ask if they are familiar with Humush Mum as well.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Quil shakes her head. ”I’m afraid I do not know Humush Mum…not all gnomes here come to the temple…and if a ghost, she could’ve died quite a while ago. I also have no knowledge of necromancers about…but perhaps we can find more clues at the next victim’s place. Are you ready to go there?”

Arin finds the neighbor is not familiar with Humush Mum either…

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Visiting with family this weekend, may not have a lot of time to post; I’ll streamline the second victim investigation kinda like traditional knowledge spoilers. Just one Perception roll player needed for in-house clues and one Diplomacy for outside clues so you can read all the clues up to your roll, aid anothers allowed as well…

Quil takes you to the next victim’s residence in Kalsgard’s Amber Quarter.

Somberly, she says, ”This was the home of Dion Wuglist, owner and proprietor of Wuglist’s Whiskey, he spent much of his time brewing throatburn, a style of gnome whiskey popular here in Kalsgard. Please take your time to look things over…”

Diplomacy checks for questioning neighbors/nearby businesses:

Diplomacy DR15:
A burly Ulfen man seated at a taproom across the street from Dion’s home frowns faintly at the mention of his name “Oh, him. It’s a shame what happened, but the neighborhood will be a lot quieter without him. I enjoy excitement as much as the next man, mind you, but Dion had a way of taking it too far. Last summer he decided to take up beekeeping. Hid an illegal apiary in his home, then a windstorm nearly turned the swarm loose on the whole neighborhood!”

Diplomacy DR20:
The proprietor of the same taproom nods somberly when asked about Dion. “It’s a real shame. He had a real talent for brewing throatburn whiskey. It was always popular here when it was on the menu. Brought a lot of cheer and life to the folks here. Won’t be the same without him.”

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Perception checks for investigating inside the victim’s house:

Perception DR15:
The body of a stout gnome lies on the floor, covered respectfully with a white cloth. There are no obvious wounds, and the corpse’s skin and hair seem unnaturally devoid of color. His left hand still clutches an empty bottle of whiskey, labeled “Linnorm’s Breath,” prominently featuring an illustration of a two-headed, fire-breathing linnorm on the label.

Perception DR20:
A thorough search of the house reveals no sign of forced entry. The doors and windows are shut and locked.

Perception DR25:
Dion’s nightstand contains a small mound of brightly colored tickets, each bearing the symbol of a sapphire die with seven pips, issued by the The Hall of Seven Wagers. Rather than consisting of numbers, the tickets contains strings of geometric shapes in different colors. For example, one line has a green triangle, followed by a red circle, yellow triangle, and orange square. Quil explains that she runs the lottery as one of many ways to combat the Bleaching, and that the proceeds are all put back into the next pot, for ever-increasing payouts. Examining the tickets, she shakes her head sadly “If he’d lived just another couple of days until the drawing, it looks like he could have won big, too.” If you inquire about redeeming the winning ticket, Quil reveals that the tickets can only be redeemed by the owner listed on them at the time the bet was placed.

Perception DR30:
Several large boxes tucked away in a closet are stuffed full of bottles of various different kinds of throatburn whiskey, including Linnorm’s Breath, Icebreaker, and a honey-infused brew called Golden Flame. All of them come from Wuglist’s Whiskeys, and it seems clear that Dion enjoyed drinking his own supply, frequently and heavily, in his off-time.

Perception DR35:
A message has been scrawled on the floor of the living room, a few feet from the body, in a very faint, almost invisible substance, which reads “[Indecipherable smudge] cromancer is holding my family hostage and forcing me to kill. They are in the basement of 23 Mar[indecipherable smudge].” As with the previous victim, you confirm that the message is written in ectoplasm.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

Well, I supposed we should move onto the next victim, but we certainly got some key clues out of that visit...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Throatburn... clearly to counteract the cold here.

Arin wanders across the street to see what Dion’s patrons might say about him. When he returns he informs the party that he's learned Dion had a knack for getting carried away with things. He settled in to inspect the body and look around the house.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

Just like the last one. No force.

Arin looks particularly at his face to see if there's an expression of fear, as the first victim had.

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Baretta will ask around the neighborhood before entering the house.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

He was a distiller. I wonder of his recipe for throatburn whiskey is here?

Moving inside, he looks around.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Nothing new

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
"A popular gnome, mostly well-liked and will be missed though sometimes annoying." Catushlara ponders as she finishes interviewing the surrounding businesses. Inside Dion's house the cleric takes note of the body. "Same as the last scene. No signs of forced entry, no wounds or injuries on the body. Is Linnorm's Breath his brew or was it bought somewhere?"


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

I'll aid Cat's perception...can't hit 35....

Nope...no signs of entry...even a good burglar would be hard pressed to make it look this clean...either they got in magically...or they were let in...wait... she says as a thought strikes her.

Perhaps the drink was what did it? Can one of you check the bottle by the body? Any residual magic?


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

had a thought after my post...couldn't edit it...could I take 20 on the search and get an assist? that would get us 35...

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

Perception assist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Perception Aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

For a moment, the whiskey bottles give rise to considerations of larger batches and distribution, before the reality that Dion will never be able to offer such a partnership now strikes it down.

"If we are dealing with a ghostly assassin, the lack of force still holds true. I see no motive beyond cruelty, as well as an easy cover with the Bleaching." Ushi surveys the scene with magic, despite the feeling that no auras will reveal themselves.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

I’m leaning no on taking 20 on a knowledge check; seems like that’d defeat the purpose of knowledge checks altogether, and I’ve never seen it before. Most of you know the rules better than I, so feel free to pipe in. I would be willing to take your highest perception roll and use all other checks as aids/assists whether specified or not…

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

You cannot take 20 on a Knowledge check. Taking 20 implies that you keep trying until you roll a 20, i.e.

Quote:
"Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes 20 times as long as making a single check would take (usually 2 minutes for a skill that takes 1 round or less to perform). Since taking 20 assumes that your character will fail many times before succeeding, your character would automatically incur any penalties for failure before he or she could complete the task (hence why it is generally not allowed with skills that carry such penalties). Common “take 20” skills include Disable Device (when used to open locks), Escape Artist, and Perception (when attempting to find traps)."
We also have the following from the Knowledge skill, i.e.
Quote:
"Retry? No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn’t let you know something that you never learned in the first place."

Therefore, taking 20 on a knowledge check is basically the equivalent of rolling a natural 1: if you can make the Knowledge DC by rolling a 1, you're successful. If not, you've failed.

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Thanks, PDK; Merisiel, you have a +13 Perception…you could reach 35 with aids if you want to roll. If not, then Arin’s the highest and with aid can reach enough to view up to DR30


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

i was asking about the dc 35 Perception roll..I can make that with a Take 20 and an assist...not the knowledge...sorry if i worded it wrong...

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Sorry, Meri, you worded it right, that’s a brain fart on my part. I went back and re-read over this investigation part and, while it doesn’t implicitly say you can’t take 20, it is implied. But I missed the part where if you only take one of the two actions (Diplomacy OR Perception) you add +4 to that check. Since I botched that (I’m sure several of you would’ve focused on Perception as its DRs were much higher), I’ll add 4 to Arin’s Perception roll and, with aids, he reaches 35+ and you can view all spoilers. Sorry ‘bout that…I’ll move us along to the next victim’s house later this morning…


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

all good...

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Having found all you can at the second scene, Quil leads you to the third crime scene is the in Kalsgard’s Ice Quarter.

Quil nods towards the house. ”This is the home of Nockzet Griddlu, a merchant by trade. Nockzet recently won big in some of the high-stakes games run by me at the temple; she had been on a bit of a spending spree before her death, acquiring several expensive items.”

Remember, if you only do one of the checks, either Diplomacy or Perception, you get a +4 focus bonus

Diplomacy checks for clues outside the house

Diplomacy DR15:
A passing fishmonger shakes her head sadly at the mention of Nockzet, pausing to answer your questions instead of continue hawking her wares.

“It’s a real shame what happened. Poor girl comes into sudden wealth, dies a few days later from the Bleaching, and she’s barely in the ground a day before some no-good thief breaks into her house and ransacks the place. That sort of thing doesn’t happen often here in Kalsgard: we’re a lot better to our neighbors than cities further south.”

Diplomacy DR20:
“She was as honorable as they come,” responds her neighbor, a strapping young Ulfen man with rippling muscles. “I had an accident at the shipyard a few months ago, and my right arm was injured. I couldn’t work. I nearly wound up a beggar. But just a few weeks back, after she had her big gambling win, she paid to have my arm healed. Truly a shame about what happened. I suppose it was her time. Gnomes just aren’t cut out for snowy weather, you know.”

Diplomacy DR25:
“Sad fate, what happened there,” acknowledges a young Ulfen woman sweeping the step of a bakery. “Can you believe that after the poor thing died of heartbreak, someone had the nerve to break into her home? Luckily, they caught the scum behind it. Some window-breaker who wandered up out of the Bone Quarter. Not the first time he’d broken into the homes of the deceased, so he was shaved, tarred, and run out of town.” If pressed about the missing painting, the woman shrugs apologetically. She has no idea what was taken nor what was recovered.

Perception checks for clues inside the house

Perception DR15:
A window in the back of the home was smashed open from the outside, with glass scattered about the floor around it inside. The floor around the area is damp with snow that has blown in the open window.

Perception DR20:
A single shelf in the bedroom closet holds a hidden, makeshift shrine, with a couple of small candles, a handful of lottery tickets, and an oversized golden die with gemstones in place of standard pips, with an extra gem on the “six” side.

Knowledge (Religion) DC15 (pertaining to the DR20 clue above):
You identify this die as serving as a holy symbol of Nivi Rhombodazzle; you think Quil might be able to provide more information.

Perception DR25:
A message has been scrawled on the floor of the living room, a few feet from the body, in a very faint, almost invisible substance. It reads, “Help me. I am the ghost of Humush Mum. A [large gap of empty space] arlin Lane. Save them.” As with the others, you confirm that the message is written in ectoplasm. You note the outline of a large rectangle that corresponds with the blank space in the message, allowing one to conclude that a painting or something similar hung there, and may have held the rest of the message.

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

As they approach the third house, Arin tries to start asking around about the new name they've received.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

He gets a strangely cold reception. Perhaps his very un-gnome-like stoicalness is finally catching up with him.

I shall have to think on my manner the next time I try to chat up the locals.

Shrugging it off for now, he heads inside the house to look around.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

The gnome's keen eye quickly observes several interesting details. His scan quickly darts around the room, and as he sees things he calls out to whomever from the group followed him in, absent-mindedly of who it specifically is.

Well, there is certainly more going on here than the first two houses. A window in back was smashed open from the outside. There is glass all over on the inside. Snow has blown in over it through the broken window, but still, please watch your step in that room...

After noting the minor hazard he moves onto the bedroom.

Ah! Here is the shrine to her gambling. He opens the closet door to reveal it to the party. It contains a couple of small candles, a handful of lottery tickets, and an oversized golden die with gemstones in place of standard pips, with an extra gem on the “six” side.

Arin then more specifically looks around at his companions, asking Are any of you studied in religion? I think I have guesses about what this represents, but I would prefer those with knowledge confirm it.

He's referring to the religion check above.

If Quil is nearby, he also addresses her and asks Or perhaps you know outright given the association of the shrine to gambling. This is associated with your diety, temple, and its activities?

Back in the living room, he takes a lap around a cluster of scratchings on the floor before finally coming to rest and one point and eyeing them intensly.

Ah, there's a message here. Very faint, almost invisible! It reads “Help me. I am the ghost of Humush Mum. A”, then there is a sizeable gap. It continues... “arlin Lane. Save them.” This is certainly ghostly ectoplasm, just as at the previous house. Strangely, there is a large rectangle outline where blank space is. Perhaps a painting or rug or some other object held the rest of the message. Hmm...

He turns to Quil again. Do you know any townsfolk who's name ends in that way? "Marlin Lane"? "Darlin Lane"? Something similar?

GM, the text said the scrawling is "on the floor near the body" but this last bit about "a painting hung there" doesn't entirely make sense. I'm assuming it would instead be a rug, or they meant to describe the message as scrawled on the wall?

That covers perception, the rest of you can use focus on diplomacy.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

While his fellow agents inspect the third house for clues, Son of Cayden gathers information from the neighboring citizens and establishments, remaining polite and respectful.

Diplomacy, H, RoC, Focus: 1d20 + 17 + 5 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 5 + 2 + 4 = 38

"The painting thief, Madame... who caught him? any chance we could talk to those guards? and do you know if he had any relatives, friends or a boss in Bone Quarter? what is the Bone Quarter, if I may ask?" asks Son to the baker lady.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
"Someone came and ransacked her place? This looks more like an assassination than natural bleaching. Someone is triggering bleaching on the gnomes!"

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33
Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Inspecting the inside of the house Catushlara follows after Arin. "That is the symbol of Nivi Rhombodazzle."

"That's the second mention of Humush Mum we've seen. We need to find whoever this person is. If his family is being held hostage they should be recently deceased."

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard
Arin Qualnoh wrote:
If Quil is nearby, he also addresses her and asks Or perhaps you know outright given the association of the shrine to gambling. This is associated with your diety, temple, and its activities?

Quil nods. ”Your friend is right, the die is a holy symbol of Nivi Rhombodazzle. Nockzet was very fond of her golden die, having bought it with her recent winnings, and would use it whenever she got the chance.”

Arin Qualnoh wrote:
He turns to Quil again. Do you know any townsfolk who's name ends in that way? "Marlin Lane"? "Darlin Lane"? Something similar?...

”No townsfolk…but there’s a street called Marlin Lane…”

Son of Cayden wrote:
"The painting thief, Madame... who caught him? any chance we could talk to those guards? and do you know if he had any relatives, friends or a boss in Bone Quarter? what is the Bone Quarter, if I may ask?" asks Son to the baker lady.

The woman shrugs apologetically. ”I’m sorry, that’s all I know…the man was a drifter, no relatives here…”

You’ve gathered all info here. I’ll get the post up for the last victim a little later this morning…

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Having found all you can at the third crime scene, Quil leads you to the the last crime scene in Kalsgard’s Bone Quarter.

Quil reflects sadly. ”This was the house of Gebnirnar Tath. He was something of a drifter and layabout, got by on odd jobs and temporary work, as he was never one to be able to hold down employment for long…

“However, he was a staple of the annual ‘Linnorm Hunt’ festival, where he enjoyed dressing up as a linnorm to entertain the local children.”

Diplomacy checks for clues outside the house

Diplomacy DR15:
A dour-looking man who had been skulking near Gebnirnar’s home sneers when asked about the gnome.

“Yeah, I knew him. He owed me quite a lot of money. Had a taste for the races, he did. Terrible at picking out winners, though. Now that he’s dead, I’ll be lucky if I get half what he owes me, and it’s all tied up in the courts. What a mess! I know gnomes’ll just go bad up here with all the ice and snow, but couldn’t he have waited until he paid me back?”

Diplomacy DR20:
A middle-aged woman nods respectfully at the mention of Gebnirnar, keeping a mindful eye on her two children playing in the street as she speaks.

“He loved the children. Couldn’t ever count on him for much, but if a child needed him, he was as dependable as night and day. Every year he took part in the Linnorm Hunt. I think he spent half of what he owned on his costume. And he did something new for it every year.”

Diplomacy DR25:
A local child gives a playful laugh when asked about Gebnirnar. “He was real funny. And good at hiding! Lotsa times, I saw big scary men looking for him, saying he owed them, but he would always laugh, trick them, and get away. He looked like he was having a lot of fun!” The child then frowns sadly. “But I haven’t seen him for a long time now. Did he get caught?”

Perception checks for clues inside the house

Perception DR15:
A thorough search of the house reveals no sign of forced entry. All the windows and doors are locked and bolted.

Perception DR20:
A stack of letters sits on one table, all of them reminders of overdue debts. Some of them have a rather hostile tone. A quick estimate reveals that Gebnirnar was likely several thousand dollars in debt to a wide variety of creditors.

Perception DR25:
An oak chest tucked away beneath Gebnirnar’s bed contains a carefully folded, elaborate, and fairly expensivelooking costume, sized for a gnome, depicting a two-headed linnorm. The wearer’s arms form the creature’s twin necks, allowing his hands to operate its heads, each of which is a sophisticated puppet, capable of elaborate eye and mouth movements. The puppet heads even include an apparatus for spitting “fire” in the form of brightly-colored red and orange streamers. These were likely for the mock “Linnorm Hunt” for the local children that Gebnirnar attended every year.

Perception DR30:
A message has been scrawled on the floor of the living room, a few feet from the body, in a very faint, almost invisible substance, which reads, “He me. I the gh t of Hu h Mum. A ne oma er is oldi my fa ly hos e an f r ng m to ki . They a e in t eme t of 23 M in La . S e em.” You confirm that the message is written in ectoplasm.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

While his fellow agents inspect the fourth house for clues, Son of Cayden gathers information from the neighboring citizens and establishments, remaining polite and respectful.

Diplomacy, H, RoC, Focus: 1d20 + 17 + 5 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 17 + 5 + 2 + 4 = 46

Later, with the Pathfinders, Son says "According to the kids, Gebnirnar was being tailed and harrassed by 'big scary men', and since he was in debt to his next door neighbor, perhaps he was also owing to some kind of crime boss..."

The Exchange

M Nagaji Oracle6 HP 48/48 AC25(27)/TC15(17)/FF20 F+5 R+8(10) W+7 (+2/mind-affecting&poison) CMB+5 CMD15 Spd30ft Init+8 Perc+3 Spell Slots: 1st-7/8|2nd-1/6|3rd-3/4|Active Buffs: Blessing of Fervor (AC/Reflex), Prayer

Ushi follows the rest of the party into the house. "I wonder if there are any census records we could inspect for more about this mysterious ghost."

Perception Aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

"So, good with children but lousy gambler." Looking through the pile of letters on the table Catushlara notes. "Creditors, creditors, creditors. Looks like this gnome is in debt to half of Karlsgard for over several thousand gold pieces." Finding nothing else of note among the pile of letters the cleric searches the gnome's room and pulls out an elaborate costume from under the bed. This must be the costume he uses for the Linnorm Hunt.

"'He me. I the gh t of Hu h Mum. A ne oma er is oldi my fa ly hos e an f r ng m to ki . They a e in t eme t of 23 M in La . S e em.' Looks like another message from our ghost. More garbled than any of the others though. The three victims died not too far apart. How could the ghost deteriorate so quickly?"

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Quil takes a stab at Catushlara’s query. ”While this is the last crime scene I brought you to, he was the first victim…perhaps this ectoplasm wears thin over time?”

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Perception, focused: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 4 = 27

He may have had debts, but he had a good heart. Look at this costume he kept to amuse the children. That alone gives his life enough meaning to make me what to avenge him!

Liberty's Edge

Male Gnome Oracle 9 | HP 66/66 | AC26 T15 FF24 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F+4 R+5 W+7; +2 v fear/despair; +2 v lang effects/spells | Init+6 | Low-light vision | Perc+12, SM+1 | Speed 20ft | Spells: 1st 8/8; 2nd 7/7; 3rd 7/7; 4th 5/5 | arcane bond [_] | mnemonic vestment [_] | arcane mark [_], comprehend languages [_], message [_], read magic [_] | Channel Positive Energy 6/6 | Energy Body (rounds) 9/9 | Combat Healer [_] | Delay Affliction 2/2 | Eternal Hope [_] | Active conditions: None

Good work everyone!

Arin seemed distracted at the last house and others beat him to the punch. There is a team after all.

He looks over Catushlara's shoulder at the notes.

We certainly know what name to fill in there... and what Lane goes there. 23 Marlin Lane...

he turns to Quil.

Can you take us there?

Grand Lodge

Moonscar | Kalsgard

Having found where all the clues lead to, Quil nods to Arin. ”Aye, I can take you there forthwith…follow me!”

Quil guides you thru the streets of Iceferry till you come to thhe house addressed as 23 Marlin Lane…

This old wooden house has clearly seen better days, and sags slightly to one side under the weight of accumulated snow. One of the windows is broken, and another has been boarded up. A faint scent of mildew can be detected from several yards away.

You warily enter the house. The house appears to have been abandoned for some time. The main floor of the house lacks for anything of note, and is largely empty…

You notice some long gouges in the wooden floor near the cellar door; upon opening, you notice stairs leading to the basement…

Finally, a map!

Safehouse (Slide 4)

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

Son of Cayden drains the rest of the ale from his mug and places it back on his belt hook. He then wiggles his finders and sends some dancing lights racing downstairs to illuminate the path, allowing him to check the stairs for trip wires and other nasty surprises...

Perception, H: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 1 + 2 = 12

"Hey Meri? want to take a crack at this trap-checking stuff? your elf eyes are no doubt better at this than mine..."


female elf rogue 7, HP 56, AC 23, T 17, FF 17(Dex +5, armor +5, +1 deflection +1 dodge, F +5, R +11. W +4, Init +11, Perc. +13(+16 traps)

That's what I'm here for... the rogue says as she looks about.

perc: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Human (Taldan) Bard 6 (Arcane Duelist) - Init. +1, Senses Normal Vision Perception +3, AC 23/ touch 11/ ff 22; CMD 20 (22 vs. trip); hp 39/39, F+5, R+8, W+8 (+2 vs. mind-affecting/negative energy/charm/fear), Speed 30 ft. BUFFS: heroism, raiment of command, alcohol boost, inspire courage +2

"No traps? faaaaaaaaaaaantastic!" says Son of Cayden, casting mirror image on himself and heading downstairs confidently!

Mirror Images: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

"Oh, and Meri: What do you need to make trap music?" asks Son of Cayden, briefly waiting for her answer before blurting out, "A snare drum!!"

Inspire Courage on everyone: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls

Sovereign Court

Male NG Human (Tian-Shu) samurai 6 | HP 48/48 | AC 21 T 12 FF 19 | CMB +9, CMD 21 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +3 | Speed 30/20ft | Resolve: 3/3 | Challenge: 2/2 | Active conditions: None.

Baretta also looks around as the group heads down the stairs.

Perception to look around: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

Does he see anything?

Needless to say, Garuda is tied up outside for now.

Silver Crusade

Female NG Half-elf Cleric(Cardinal) 5/Inquisitor1 | HP 54/54 | AC 17(T 12 FT 16 ) |CMB:+5, CMD:17 | F:+11 R:+3 W:+10(+2 vs Enchantment(Compulsion) | Init:+5|Perc:+10,SM:+10 | Speed: 30ft | Fire Bolt 4/6(1d6+3) | Channel Positive Energy 3/3(3d6) | Active conditions: None | Judgement 1/1

Catushlara follows the others down cautiously. In the tight confines of a house she decides to draw her scimitar.

51 to 100 of 271 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Otha’s Corpses in Kalsgard: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.