Pathfinder Adventure Path #155: Lord of the Black Sands (Extinction Curse 5 of 6)

5.00/5 (based on 1 rating)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #155: Lord of the Black Sands (Extinction Curse 5 of 6)

Add Print Edition $24.99

Add PDF $17.99

Facebook Twitter Email

On the hunt for a life-giving aeon orb far below the surface world, the heroes venture into a blighted Darklands waste known as the Vault of the Black Desert. Facing off against lurking, vampire-like urdefhan and even stranger subterranean beasts, the heroes track the lost artifact to an enclave of undead dark elves in the twisted city at the vault's blackened heart, where they must confront the malevolent mummy who strives to become the desert's eternal sovereign!

“Lord of the Black Sands” is a Pathfinder adventure for four 15th-level characters. This adventure continues the Extinction Curse Adventure Path, a six-part, monthly campaign in which the heroes lead a traveling circus as they unravel a plot to eradicate all life from the islands of the Inner Sea. This volume also includes a gazetteer of the ominous city of Shraen, new monsters, and new rules.

Each monthly full-color softcover Pathfinder Adventure Path volume contains an in-depth adventure scenario, stats for several new monsters, and support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Pathfinder Adventure Path volumes use the Open Game License and work with both the Pathfinder RPG and the world's oldest fantasy RPG.

ISBN: 978-1-64078-234-1

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO90155


See Also:

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 1 rating)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Okay this book is amazing :O

5/5

So okay let's get this out of the way: Yeah the circus performers you can recruit while in darklands are awesome, but thats not what makes this book awesome.

What makes this book awesome is that it turns "PCs meet couple of daemonic death cult blood thirsty warriors" and "City of undead and their slaves" from how Second Darkness would have portrayed it(aka "Drows kill humans on sight unless they are literally wearing drow skin") to social encounters and manage to do it convincingly without railroading and forcing players to engage them socially unless they want to :O

This adventure also shows potential of NPC articles in AP volumes: From adventure itself I had taken the uderfhan war leader as just being pragmatic, but his backstory and dive into his motivations show that while he is still viscous cruel bastard, he actually has lot of character depth besides being evil or "generic uderfhan leader".

I also like that book takes account lot of alternate choices, like "What if players kill the impossibly hard boss?", "What if PCs free this prisoner?" or "What if players want to leave the orb in the darklands?"

On bonus, the cult article has LG Tanagaar worshipping assassin ghoul cult ;D That was fun and weird surprise

Oh and one more sidenote: I'm glad that Shraen article lists levels of drow rulers in city since especially in this context its good to know their relative powers(especially to pcs ;D) :D


Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

Available for preorder! Product image and description are not final and may be subject to change.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Sweet! I always wanted to visit Shraen. I mean with a radiation suit...

Silver Crusade

Cool! I was always interested in this area. Wanted to travel there to get an Urgothian artifact

Dark Archive

Oh hey the Black Desert :D Nice

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I once began to write a novel based on the "Black Desert" chapter in the "Mythic Realms Campaign Setting".

That one was starting the Drow of Shraen as protagonists, fighting against the Urdefhan & a cabal of awakened Demi-Liches.

This is actually the first book in the AP i find interesting.
Who is scheduled to writing this?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Out of curiosity where is the current placeholder art from?


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

This sounds fantastic!

Scarab Sages

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:
Out of curiosity where is the current placeholder art from?

The background art is the opener from the Brutal Slavers chapter of the villain codex. I couldn't find the foreground piece.

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Marco Massoudi wrote:
Who is scheduled to writing this?

This is Mikko Kallio, and he's done a great job with it!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Will drow become playable ancestry in this?


Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
Will drow become playable ancestry in this?

Pretty unlikely.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Paizo will never release a PF2 playable ancestry in any AP book but the first. It'd be giving a player option that nobody playing could use, even with retraining. I might be proven wrong some day, but I imagine it'd be under pretty specific circumstances- the AP involves the creation of a completely new ancestry, for instance.

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
Will drow become playable ancestry in this?

Pretty unlikely.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Paizo will never release a PF2 playable ancestry in any AP book but the first. It'd be giving a player option that nobody playing could use, even with retraining. I might be proven wrong some day, but I imagine it'd be under pretty specific circumstances- the AP involves the creation of a completely new ancestry, for instance.

(*nods, notes prediction in Predictions Book*)

Or we might, if an AP volume puts its focus on a narrow slice of the world where such a new ancestry exists. It isn't new for the people of the world--there's always been those people living over there--but it's not something that warrants inclusion in a fuller treatment of widely available ancestries. Something like that would be entirely appropriate to include in an AP volume.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That makes sense. It would be nice to see Drow available as a player option in Pathfinder 2E.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I'd rather have them kept as villains only.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
That makes sense. It would be nice to see Drow available as a player option in Pathfinder 2E.

[Edna Mode]No Drizzts![/Edna Mode]


Paul Watson wrote:
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
That makes sense. It would be nice to see Drow available as a player option in Pathfinder 2E.
[Edna Mode]No Drizzts![/Edna Mode]

Yes, no Drizz'ts.


I agree, no Drizzt clones, I am not even a fan of the original :)

That being said if D and D can make drow a playable race in the 5E Player's Handbook, I am sure that Paizo could as well.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Ron Lundeen wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
Will drow become playable ancestry in this?

Pretty unlikely.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Paizo will never release a PF2 playable ancestry in any AP book but the first. It'd be giving a player option that nobody playing could use, even with retraining. I might be proven wrong some day, but I imagine it'd be under pretty specific circumstances- the AP involves the creation of a completely new ancestry, for instance.

(*nods, notes prediction in Predictions Book*)

Or we might, if an AP volume puts its focus on a narrow slice of the world where such a new ancestry exists. It isn't new for the people of the world--there's always been those people living over there--but it's not something that warrants inclusion in a fuller treatment of widely available ancestries. Something like that would be entirely appropriate to include in an AP volume.

hey so ah, who are the Shoony?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Winkie_Phace wrote:
hey so ah, who are the Shoony?

Oh, I am very excited for shoonies. But you're in the wrong Extinction Curse volume for them. I'm so looking forward to pulling back the curtain on them!


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Ron Lundeen wrote:
Winkie_Phace wrote:
hey so ah, who are the Shoony?
Oh, I am very excited for shoonies. But you're in the wrong Extinction Curse volume for them. I'm so looking forward to pulling back the curtain on them!

Fair enough, they just seemed like they may check an awful lot of boxes in the quote like: "narrow slice of the world where such a new ancestry exists."

and: "not something that warrants inclusion in a fuller treatment of widely available ancestries."

At least based off of the single sentence I've got to go on :) I might just be overly excited at the possibility. I'll stop being off-volume now, though.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Urdefhan as a new ancestry?

Dark Archive

Eh doubt it, if they don't want to do serpentfolk or xulgath ancestry, I'd be surprised if urderfhan become one


2 people marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
Will drow become playable ancestry in this?

Pretty unlikely.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Paizo will never release a PF2 playable ancestry in any AP book but the first. It'd be giving a player option that nobody playing could use, even with retraining. I might be proven wrong some day, but I imagine it'd be under pretty specific circumstances- the AP involves the creation of a completely new ancestry, for instance.

Well, considering the third book has had an ancestry confirmed in it, that didn't last long!

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Update: Due to some delays in the production lines, we've had to push this book's release back a month. It is now listed as a June release.


Thank you.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Katina Davis wrote:
Update: Due to some delays in the production lines, we've had to push this book's release back a month. It is now listed as a June release.

Do you already know how this will impact later adventure path volumes?

Will there be two volumes in june or will everything be pushed back one month?

Thank you for your time and stay safe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Cool cover! Lich with undead familiar, purple worms, and...is that Lini using Wild Shape?!?


Not interested in this AP, but I might have to snag this volume anyway.

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Moved to May 2020 releases.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber
Sara Marie wrote:
Moved to May 2020 releases.

Great news!


VERY HAPPY about this, great job team!!

Tom


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know, I'm really wondering what acts are going to be able for aquisition for the Circus for this one...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Anyone gotten there subsciber PDF yet?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:
Anyone gotten there subsciber PDF yet?

Some folks have. Not me though, sadly, as I assume you're hoping to hear some teasers as to what kind of player options or monsters are attached...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

No New Archetypes.
A New very rough Disease and a magic item to be immune to it
Some New Rituals and Spells.
A bunch of new items from both Xulgath and Urdefhan origins

New Creatures are as Follows:

Ammut: Creature 18. Rare NE Huge Fiend

Blightborn Genies: 2 Kinds shown, though name drops for others on the side.
Muurfeli: Creature 16. Rare CN Large Air Elemental Genie
Ararda: Creature 18. Rare LE Large Earth Elemental Genie

Obsidian Golem: Creature 16. Uncommon N Large Construct Golem Mindless

Iffdahsil: Creature 21. Unique CE Gargantuan Aberration Undead

Urdefhan: 3 Kinds shown. Skavelings are mentioned in being in Bestiary 2
High Tormentor: Creature 10. NE Medium Humanoid Urdefhan
Hunter: Creature 12. NE Medium Humanoid Urdefhan
Dominator: Creature 14. NE Medium Humanoid Urdefhan

Vitalia: Creature 18. Rare N Large Aberration Aquatic Mindless

Xulgath Deepmouth. Creature 12. Uncommon CE Medium Humanoid Xulgath


What are the acts? Anything that particularly sticks out?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
VerBeeker wrote:
What are the acts? Anything that particularly sticks out?

Wurples the Runt Purple Cave Worm is my favorite. Gonna let the others be surprises

Grand Lodge Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:
VerBeeker wrote:
What are the acts? Anything that particularly sticks out?

Wurples the Runt Purple Cave Worm is my favorite. Gonna let the others be surprises

Can't wait to meet Wurples again. :)

Dark Archive

I guess if Iffdahsil got finally statted that it isn't a mythic vampire anymore? :D


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
I guess if Iffdahsil got finally statted that it isn't a mythic vampire anymore? :D

No... think more tentacles... and horror...


Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:

Blightborn Genies: 2 Kinds shown, though name drops for others on the side.

Muurfeli: Creature 16. Rare CN Large Air Elemental Genie
Ararda: Creature 18. Rare LE Large Earth Elemental Genie

Could you tell us more about this genies? What's their lore and how are they different from regular genies?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:

Blightborn Genies: 2 Kinds shown, though name drops for others on the side.

Muurfeli: Creature 16. Rare CN Large Air Elemental Genie
Ararda: Creature 18. Rare LE Large Earth Elemental Genie
Could you tell us more about this genies? What's their lore and how are they different from regular genies?

So its Blightburn not Blightborn, but realized too late to fix that. Blightburn is a radioactive disease shown in the book that permeates the Black Desert. These are genies that were long ago summoned by the cultures that lived in the area before Aroden stole the orbs and lead to them falling and Blightburn coming to be, and then the disease infusing these jinn.

The Muurfeli are air jinn that summon and use radioactive and tainted air. They have an owl like head.
The Ararda are shaitan who were infused with the radioactive crystals of the black desert to harness electricity in the earth. They have an aura that can spread the disease. The have many scorpion like features.


Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:

Blightborn Genies: 2 Kinds shown, though name drops for others on the side.

Muurfeli: Creature 16. Rare CN Large Air Elemental Genie
Ararda: Creature 18. Rare LE Large Earth Elemental Genie
Could you tell us more about this genies? What's their lore and how are they different from regular genies?

So its Blightburn not Blightborn, but realized too late to fix that. Blightburn is a radioactive disease shown in the book that permeates the Black Desert. These are genies that were long ago summoned by the cultures that lived in the area before Aroden stole the orbs and lead to them falling and Blightburn coming to be, and then the disease infusing these jinn.

The Muurfeli are air jinn that summon and use radioactive and tainted air. They have an owl like head.
The Ararda are shaitan who were infused with the radioactive crystals of the black desert to harness electricity in the earth. They have an aura that can spread the disease. The have many scorpion like features.

Thanks for the answer, Vorsk! That seems to be a rather "setting specific" concept, but I'm looking forward into seeing them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Vorsk, Follower or Erastil wrote:
VerBeeker wrote:
What are the acts? Anything that particularly sticks out?

Wurples the Runt Purple Cave Worm is my favorite. Gonna let the others be surprises

Spoiler:
The Rakasha blooded doppelgänger that can take animal forms as well as humanoid had me intrigued.
Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So this book actually makes me respect uderfhans more than before :p I mean they are still evil creepy blood drinkers, but this adventure showed that they can have character depth :D

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #155: Lord of the Black Sands (Extinction Curse 5 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.