DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire

Game Master nomadicc


851 to 900 of 946 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

I'm in no hurry.

"I guess that's possible and charred bodies might delay our payday. Sounds like we're doing this the hard way."


To assuage your concerns, the cocoons don't look like they could hold humanoids. A few are clearly emptied husks.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Ah, looks safe. Burn em."

    He throws the torch at the largest collection of webs.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos nods stepping away from the heat. "I think we've been spider bitten enough for one day."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Wizard (Conjurer) 3; HP 33/33; AC 15; Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +8; Perc +6 (+8 Init)

    "I agree."

    Ben keeps an acid arrow spell handy in case something leaps out of the burning cocoons.


    The webbing starts to burn quickly once the torch lands in the webbing. The fires spread through the chamber with a whoosh of air.

    Fire Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

    Many of the spiderlings are instantly killed in the fire, but more that were away from the webbing continue to scurry about. A large mass of them starts to coalesce in the middle of the room.

    Actions?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Mmm, looks like they might number swarmin'. We got any thin to stop that from happenin'?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    "More fire?" Mikos offers as he pulls out a vial of alchemist fire and tosses it into the heart of the gathering spiders.

    Toss: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
    damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

    sweet!


    It was a crit too... Add'n Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

    Mikos tosses the alchemist's fire into the growing spider swarm. Mikos's aim is perfect, landing right in the center of mass. The grenade explodes with dramatic and devastating effect, burning up all the remaining spiders.

    End of... um, the Spiders!

    After the flames die and smoke clears, you find the room is otherwise empty.

    Map udpated - all areas revealed. Congrats, you have cleared the second level; this advances the Sage's Expedition quest!


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos chuckles as he gazes over the curled and charred remains of the spiders. "I think I'll be needing to pick up a couple more of those. So what do you think? Take a peek down the pit or time to head back to town?"


    Anyone?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Feelin' pretty good after the rest. Let's secure a rope and see what we find down there."

    The Keg looks over the edge first and then lights a torch and drops it down the pit.

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    looks like there's a ladder on the map, no? Rope is a good precaution though.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi shrugs. "I definitely need to buy some of those fire-bombs when we get back to town, but I'm good to explore if you guys are!"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos checks his wounds. "Maybe I could use a little more help if you've got anything left for these bites, Keg."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Sure, here's a burst for everyone."

    Heal: 1d10 ⇒ 6


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    "That's better," Mikos rasps. He loops the rope around his waist and glances back down the pit. "Careful now. I'm thinking that it's going to be nasty down there." Mikos leads the way down toward the sputtering torch.


    After a healing burst from the Keg, Mikos secures the rope and starts down the shaft. After a few checks, he determines the inset ladder is secure. About sixty feet down, the shaft ends on a landing. A wide staircase descends into darkness to the north, but you can see an emerald glow from the bottom, some ways further down.

    On the floor the dead moon spider queen lies on its back, its legs drawn up and frozen in a curled-in position. An unpleasant rotting reek emanates from it and the gore splattered across the walls and landing.

    Perception DC 20:
    Amidst the gore, you spot an old cocooned corpse. Half the webbing has been torn away, and you see something shiny in the mess.

    With only one way forward, you descend the broad, stone stairs. They end after about ninety feet andopen into a small, irregularly shaped chamber lit by oil lamps. To the east, a short flight of steps leads up to a sturdy door set in the middle of a wall and flanked by arrow slits. To the north, a wide gate of iron bars blocks an archway leading to a larger chamber filled with the eerie green glow of the Emerald Spire.

    Map updated (scroll down a little ways to see where you are)


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

    "Hells, this place is deep," Mikos observes after the long climb down. "There's your cocoon, Keg. Looks like there's something shiny in there, too." Mikos investigates, trying his best to avoid the worst of the goo.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Wizard (Conjurer) 3; HP 33/33; AC 15; Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +8; Perc +6 (+8 Init)

    "Be careful Mikos."

    Ben stands ready with his crossbow, having spent his better magic spells and not always trusting his aim with an acid arrow. But crossbows are just fine, right?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • The Keg rubs his hands together in anticipation having stowed his rapier, "Let's do this!"

    He moves to the cocoon and gingerly tears away the webbing from whatever Mikos saw.


    The Keg pulls apart the old, dusty webbing. Amidst the old bones he pulls out a ring of gold in the form of twisting vines and set with a large bloodstone.

    The ring is not magical, but clearly valuable.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • The Keg tosses the ring in the air and then catches it and pockets it, "Poor bastard. Least we can do after avenging his death is sell this and putting it to good use."

    "Let's check them bars right quick and then head east."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos chuckles. "Start with the 'bars'. Somehow I knew you'd say that. Looks like that's the central spire running down from above. I'd like to take a closer look at that first. Did you say we can use those runes to get back up top, Ben?" Mikos moves up to feel if the metal is cold like the other gate and whether the gate is locked.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Wizard (Conjurer) 3; HP 33/33; AC 15; Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +8; Perc +6 (+8 Init)

    The mage nods. "They appear to be a teleportation system designed to move objects between levels. It should work for us."


    You move into the room. Examining the bars more closely, you see that it is actually a gate with a lock mechanism built into a panel in the stone wall.

    You hear a thump and noise from beyond the eastern door. A gruff female voice calls out, "Who goes there?"


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Hello! Ny name is Rodi! What's your name?" Rodi calls out helpfully.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • The Keg rolls his eyes, "Eh, Rodi let's talk 'about the element o' surprise some time."

    He moves to flank the door, rapier in hand.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Is that what the alchemists use to make sneaky potions?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos takes a step toward the door, but only places a hand on his blade. "We're new to the neighborhood. I dont believe we've met," he rasps at the door.


    "New? That's ridiculous," the woman scoffs. "How did you get down here? Who sent you? Answer fast, boy."

    The Keg moves up to flank the door, finding himself directly in front of an arrow slit. Through the narrow aperture, he sees a long, narrow room half-filled with crates, barrels and assorted detritus. An iron lever is set in the northwest corner, and a pull rope hangs on the northeast corner.

    Two humans, one female and the other male, both wearing fighting leathers and wielding crossbows, stand guard behind the arrow slits.

    Map updated.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Wizard (Conjurer) 3; HP 33/33; AC 15; Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +8; Perc +6 (+8 Init)

    Ben holds his crossbow at the ready. ”Maybe they’re new too?”


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    "Boy? How old are you, Lady? We climbed down the pit. We've been hired to get rid of the vermin. You know, spiders and rats. You with the dead guy?"


    "Ugh, adventurers," the man grumbles.

    "Aye," the woman agrees, then responds to Mikos. "Piss off, back to where'er you came from, boy. Ain't nothing here for you, 'cept your deaths." She hefts the crossbow to accentuate the ultimatum.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Mikos shrugs and moves away from the door. "Fine with me. We came down quite a way though and I'm not keen on climbing back up. How do we open this gate here so we can take the Spire back topside?"


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi frowns. "I don't have to piss. I went before we got here. Say, are you guys brigands by chance?"


    "No. You don't open the gate. You run back up the way you came," the woman snips at Mikos.

    She smiles evilly at Rodi. "Not brigands... Splinters."

    Society or Thievery DC 18:
    You recall a rumor overheard on the road north, or maybe it was in the tavern at Fort Inevitable: the Echo Wood Splinters are a particularly nasty gang of cutthroats and killers with a reputation so bad even Thornkeep banished them. Just over a year ago, they came under new leadership and... disappeared. People think they moved to easier hunting grounds or disbanded.

    The man walks over to the rope and pulls it once. You hear a bell ring out.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • Can the Keg move up against the wall so that there is no line of sight from the crossbow? I am assuming so from my thoughts of what an arrow slit looks like


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    Splinter? Actually Rodi could possibly be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

    Mikos mutter under his breath, "Sonuva... I'm not waiting for the reinforcements. If i get another bolt in the throat, I'll haunt you all."

    With a growl, Mikos draws and leaps at the door with his falchion.

    hack: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 1 = 12


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

    "Splinters? You're made of broken wood?"


    The door crunches as Mikos cleaves a big chunk of wood. His sudden assault takes the two guards by surprise, but they recover quickly.

    Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

    Roll initiatives! Please post actions if you beat the above.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    What are we using, perception?

    perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

    hack: 1d12 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 2 = 4

    hack: 1d12 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 2 = 4

    hack: 1d12 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 1 + 2 = 14


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


    Wow, I screwed that up... negative transfer lol. Yes, perception for initiative.

    Falchion should be 1d10, correct?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 28/41; spot +8

    yes, yes it should. Not sure what I was looking at. Redo:

    Hack: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 2 + 1 = 13
    Hack: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5
    Hack: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 = 8


    Bruno "The Keg" Ironspine wrote:
    Can the Keg move up against the wall so that there is no line of sight from the crossbow? I am assuming so from my thoughts of what an arrow slit looks like

    The walls aren't super thick (like a castle), and the openings are wide enough for them to pivot aim. You can't get completely clear, but I'd say you can get partial cover if you push to walls on either end.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • The Keg will press himself up against the wall and raise his shield up against the nearest arrow slit, "Oi, dis Splinter couldn't hit the broad side of me shield, any how,"


    Ben and Keg initiative?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 1/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, heal x2
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • Thought I rolled it. Sorry

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Wizard (Conjurer) 3; HP 33/33; AC 15; Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +8; Perc +6 (+8 Init)

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

    I posted before but for some reason it didn't take.

    851 to 900 of 946 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.