The Moar Core Tour

Game Master BretI

A Core PFS campaign that will go from level 1 through level 12, completing all of Season 5 in the process.
Start of The Blakros Matrimony


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,029 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Kleines goes for a stroll, enjoying the sunshine. He stops at food stalls, at a tea stand, and to listen to buskers, chatting with anyone he meets.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Phinellippa isn't quite so friendly as Kleines, but she tries to put together current happenings from newspapers and clues.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

Garif joins Kleines, trying to help as he can with chatting up the people they meet in the market and strolling around the town.

Diplomacy, Aid Kleines: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Deciding it was about time to learn more of this witness, Iovo goes to visit with Orug in the barber shop.

So, I’ve heard you were a witness to one of the horrible attacks. Could you please tell me all about it? I would be more than happy to tell you about some of the places I’ve been and things I’ve seen.

Bluff: Apply liberal amounts of Bardic License to her story: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

She goes into a story about how a funeral went horribly wrong. Undead using the bread from the meal as clubs against guests, a horde of necromancers raising everyone in the graveyard, and how assassins popping up to attack during the distraction. The assassins had fooled the necromancers into attacking just so they could kill the one person at the party that was their target, Mr. White.

Merchant’s Wake, not that those who were there with Iovo would recognize it from this description.

Although entertaining, she goes on a bit too long in certain sections. She needs to work more on her presentation, tighten it up!


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

Nobody at either location notices the stork this afternoon.

Word on the street

Garif runs into another dwarf, discovers a shared love of geology, and spends the afternoon in a truly fascinating conversation. Only by the end of it does he realize that Kleines has moved on and is working the crowd somewhere else. While it doesn't help the investigation, Garif has a hard time shaking the idea that it was an afternoon very well spent.

Kleines and Phinepella, however, have a better time. Kleines makes some casual friends who share some gossip with him; Phinnellippa, meanwhile, keeps an eye on things, evesdrops, and overhears what people are saying, and. Between the two of them, this is what they are able to piece together:

Word on the Street Rumor #2: Ekira says that Iomedae began speaking to her directly after she arrived in Dawnton. She’s thinking
about setting down roots here, establishing a church, maybe even challenging Sheriff Tobias Luin for the title of mayor.

Word on the Street Rumor #3: Previous rumors of a jailbreak were fabricated. It turns out that a couple of people at the beer garden, pretty deep in their cups, were speculating the dirty rotten Pathfinders were going to do. Somebody else heard that, repeated it, and the rumor got out. But, it's completely baseless.

Sekrit GM Rolls:

1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Garif does notice something else:

You feel somebody bump against you at one point, but looking around you don't see anybody. It strikes you as odd.

Perception DC 20 for Garif only:

Later, you notice that your cold iron dagger seems to be missing....

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

Can make that DC by taking 10, since I'm perceptive! Got no other skills to speak of, but.

After an enjoyable afternoon - that passed surprisingly quickly - Garif catches up with his friends, calling out, "Kleines, Phin! Did you learn anything useful! I sure did! Did you know that bornhardts - those beautiful, dome-shaped rock outcroppings I've admired in our travels - are not always formed by sheet jointing because of emerging topography in the landscape? I met a fellow today who told me that some people think that the topography in the area of an inselberg - or any bornhardt, really - is a reflection of already existing sheet jointing!"

Waiting a moment for his friends to digest this, Garif looks down and says quietly, "Why...that's odd. My cold iron dagger is gone. It was quite useful for gauging the hardness of certain minerals, what can have happened to it?" Scratching his beard a moment, he exclaims, "Wait a minute! I felt someone bump into me earlier today, but when I looked around I didn't see anyone! I thought it was odd at the time - but could someone invisible have nicked my dagger?"

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

Sorry, I've been out of town the past two days!

Deciding that perhaps she's done enough talking for the time being, Shieara figures that maybe hitting the fairgrounds and checking out some of the competitions might help take her mind off of things for a little bit. Though no singer or acrobat, she's always been stronger than she looks and so she decides to put that strength to use at the mallet game...

Str: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
______________

Le sigh.


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

At Orug's

Alas, Iovo's tale, while well-told, seems to hit a nerve amongst the local population, and people feel more creeped out than entertained. The result is subdued conversation not conducive to divulging rumors.

At the Fairgorunds

Shaieara makes an attempt at the mallet game, but it seems that somebody else wasn't playing entirely fair. As she swings the mallet, it slips in her hand-- she realizes belatedly that somebody seems to have rubbed some lard or other lubricating element on the handle. Not enough to notice, but enough to let it slip when she swings her mightly blow. As a result, her grip isn't quite good enough, and she hits the target a little off to the side, resulting in a mediocre rise of the puck.

Back together approaching dusk

The group gets together near the center of town. After Garif excitedly shares the knowledge he learned, he realizes that his dagger is missing, and speculates that somebody invisible lifted it off of him.

Just as he says this, you hear a scream and a commotion not far away. Rushing to see what's going on, you find a gathering crowd in front of of the Health and Harvest. Maneuvering your way towards the center, you see that there have been two more murders! Two men are lying dead on the doorstep of the Inn. With a sinking feeling, Garif recognizes the hilt of his cold-iron dagger sticking out of the chest of the younger man's body.

He has no time to react before a man on the opposite side of the small clearing in the crowd around the two bodies points right at the dwarf and shouts, "The dagger! It belonged to that one!"

All of you get a brief impression of a well-dressed tall and thin man with a short mop of black hair and a soul patch of beard below his lower lip. However, he melts into the crowd, and what's more, the crowd starts to surround you -- Garif in particular.

Perception DC19 -- you're distracted by all of the crowd bustling about and trying to surround you, so you can't take 10 on this:

Just before the man melts into the crowd, you notice that he's wearing a jacket with black buttons. You don't get a close enough look to match them to the one found at Otto's, nor a close enough look to see if one is missing, but they are the right size.

"Another murderer in our midst!" one person cries.

"It's the Pathfinders, come back to free their villainous friends!"

"Demons! Demons from the Wound!"

"Stop them! Don't let them escape!"

There is some shoving, but no serious violence. However, the crowd has Garif quite surrounded, to the point that he won't be able to get out without serious violence of his own....

"Somebody get the sheriff!" you hear a voice call.

Let me know how you proceed.


Mosquito Witch

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

"Yes, someone get the sheriff! Don't disturb the bodies, there might be clues." Iovo calls out. "Garif isn't the sort to run, there is no reason to bunch into a mob."

Aid Diplomacy, calm the crowd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Amidst all the tumult, Garif's attention is brought to the tall, thin man, shouting about something. "Hey, look!" the dwarf says to his friends, "He's got black buttons on his jacket, the same size as that one we found! Oh, he's slipped away before I could see if he had any missing, or if they're exactly the same, but still..."

He goes quiet a moment as he belatedly notices the change in tone and target of the crowd's shouts. "Wait, what?" he says, confused by what's happened. He lays a calming hand on Nico to ensure the panther doesn't harm anyone out of a desire to protect Garif, then says, "That dagger was stolen from me! And why would anyone have even noticed what sort of dagger I carry? Where did that fellow go who said that?" Taking a breath, he continues, "And do any of you seriously think that I could sneak around and kill someone like that? It saddens me to say it as a dwarf, but I'm not built for it - truth be told, I've never even used that dagger except to assay the hardness of minerals, because the iron is a different hardness than a steel blade..."

Garif shuts his mouth, realizing that his argument is likely to be of no interest to the mob surrounding him, if they can even hear him through the shouting and chaos.

Diplomacy to aid someone: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Perception: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

"Please, good people of Dawnton, be calm. A mob will not improve anything."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Grand Lodge

M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees glares around, trying to cow the crowd as well as determine whether it seems feasible to go after the suspicious-looking fellow at this time.

DM, does Rees think he could slip through the crowd and follow the murderermost definitely innocent bearded guy?

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Diplomacy, Aid Another: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

"Agreed, let's calm down. Let's get the sheriff and get this all sorted!'

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

Perception (DC 19): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Shieara scowls and crosses her arms over her chest. "Okay yeah, that's a pretty damned fast ID on th' weapon there. A little too fast if y'all would actually use your common sense for a change instead of actin' like a buncha fools!"

Diplomacy (Aid): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
______________

Yep, that's pretty much in keeping with how Shie's been rolling this entire scenario...


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

The crowd's reaction is mixed. Some start calling for swift justice, some call to find Ekira. Others seem to be calmed by some of your words... although they do take note that Garif admitted it was his dagger.

It's not very long before the halfling Tobias Luin shows up. Some of you made a very good impression on the Sheriff earlier, so he immediately sets to calming down the crowd.

"Stand back, make room!" he says, as he approaches your group. "It's OK, everybody, I will take care of this."

Quietly to you, he says, "Come quietly with me to my house; let's get away from this mob so that we can talk. One or two of you stay behind to look around the scene."

After a pause, he says to Garif, "Not you, though."

You had some pretty awesome Diplomacy rolls when you met him earlier; that's paying off.

Let me know how you proceed.

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

Garif shrugs and moves to join the sheriff. It's clear from his expression that he's confused by the situation, and deeply frustrated by the chaos, untruths and deceptions that seem to be running rampant in town. Given how calmly he walks, with Nico at his side, it appears that he has not quite accepted the fact that there is some real risk to his own safety.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

"Very well. I'll stay here."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Iovo suggests “I think Rees and I would have a reasonable chance of finding clues left here.

He has the woodland skills and a trained eye. I can check for magic and have a few other skills that might help.

It would be nice if we had someone who could question people, though. It happened right next to the store, hopefully someone saw or heard something!

After a moment’s pause, she suggests to the sheriff “It would be good if someone could check for witnesses though.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Phinellippa looks at the crowd, looks at the sheriff, and tags along behind Garif.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

"You know my words aren't always so good an' my eyes aren't that much better," Shieara whispers quietly. "I'll go with th' good sheriff too."

Grand Lodge

M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees looks up in surprise at Iovo, his attention having been on the disappearing man's back. "Yes. I will remain. Surely there are still some who are loyal and true among the community."

So saying, he begins to suit action to words, looking around for clues or people who can tell him more about what just transpired.

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Damiar tags along with the sheriff, as Rees and Iovo have things well in hand.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Iovo looks to Kleines and says “You have a way with people. Could you please check if anyone witnessed or heard anything?

Knowing how quickly magical auras fade, Iovo will cast Detect Magic to check if there are any lingering auras. She doesn’t really expect to find any, but the longer she stalls the less chance of any remaining aura.

She then does a brief look around the area, avoiding moving either victim.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Untrained Heal, examine bodies: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11

She will use cast Detect Poison to see if either of the victims were poisoned or if there is any on the dagger.

Once that is done, she will work with Rees to do a much more thorough search of the area.

If you will allow, I would like Rees to Take 20 and Iovo attempt to Aid. Otherwise, I would suggest we each do three rolls.


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

OK! Picking this up, and I will maintain momentum through the end this time!

Rees and Iovo stay behind to look around the crowd for clues.

Everybody else heads away with the sheriff. Rees and Iovo hear some grumbling that the sherriff seems to be treating Garif awfully gently for somebody who is very clearly a murderer.

With the Sheriff

As he gets you far enough away from the crowd, the halfling Tobias Luin says directly to Garif, "I know -- well, I'm pretty sure -- you aren't guilty, but it looks very bad right now. Either you've pulled the wool over my eyes, or somebody is trying to frame you. I'm not going to hold you right now, but my duty to the town requires that I keep eyes on you; I'm sorry for this, but it is what it is."

Back in front of Heath and Harvest

The inquisitor Ekira makes an appaerance, as a couple of Luin's deputies are cleaning up the body. "Stand back, and allow me to view the scene," she says imperiously. She stalks around the body a few times. A "helpful" townfolk points at Rees and Iovo, whispering "they were with the murderer, a dwarf".

One eye arched, the blond Iomedean inquisitor arches one eyebrow and stalks towards Rees and Iovo. "So." She says. "You are with the Dwarf who committed the murder. He visited me earlier. What are you plotting here, and why have you come to bedevil this town?"

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Did we get a chance to find anything before Ekira showed up?

I intend to find out who has been murdering people and framing others for the crimes.

Beer Garden rumor #2

Smiling sweetly, she then says “I heard rumors of a demon posing as an Inquisitor. Supposedly it has killed ten heroes.

Where were you when the murders happened?


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

Before Ekira showed up, you heard lots of speculation about what was going on. Some folks are speculating that Garif is a Pathfinder just like the previous murders.

Ekira targets Iovo with a laser-like glare. She pauses for several seconds.

Sense Motive DC15:
You recall, perhaps, that inquisitors have the ability to sense alignment. You suspect that this Iomedean inquisitor is scanning Iovo for evil and/or chaos.

"This is no time for jest," she says in the severest voice imaginable. You can see her teaching at a grade school where all of the kids are cowed into submission, and have bruises on their knuckles from repeated ruler-beatings. "The Voice of Iomedae herself warned me that Pathfinders were in town, and that the entire society is engaged in villainy."

She's clearly heard of the whole murderhobo thing.

Her eyes narrow. "You aren't one of them, are you?"

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

"I'm neither a murderer nor a liar," Garif says bluntly to the sheriff, "so it must be that someone wishes to frame me. Though why that would be, or who would do such a thing to me, of all people, I can't begin to guess."

"I've no wish to cause further trouble here, Sheriff, and I trust that you mean well, so I will do as you ask," the dwarf continues unhappily. "You say you have to keep eyes on me, what do you want me to do to make that possible? As I've said, I'm not much for sneaking, so I'll be easy to spot."

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

"Yeah, we'd still like t' help get to th' bottom of things but it ain't gonna be easy now that all this's happened," Shieara sighs. "What do y'need us t' do?"

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

I wasn’t jesting about hearing the rumor, which is why I asked about where you were.” Iovo replies.

If she isn’t going to answer my questions, not much reason to answer all of hers!

The voice of Iomedae? What exactly does that sound like, and how do you know it is that of a god?

While the Inquisitor is questioning her, Iovo scans the crowd. Tall human with a goatee or someone with fancy buttons...this is just the sort of situation someone trying to frame people would want to watch.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

"Indeed, sheriff, we have no wish to make things difficult on you. I've known Garif for quite a while now, though, and I swear by the honor of Irori that he would never murder a person in cold blood like this."


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

In front of the Heath and Harvest

Ekira's eyes narrow at Iovo. "Do you question my faith?"

She turns her attention to Rees, and concentrates for several seconds, much as she did looking at Iovo earlier.

Iovo does not spot the man who earlier accused Garif... and who seemed to have buttons on his jacket matching the one you found out at Otto's farm. He seems to have made his accusation and then made himself very scarce.

With Sheriff Tobias Luin

The halfling says, "I believe you. I do not think you are a murderer. However, for the sake of stability and sanity in the town, I do have to take some measure of due diligence and follow due process."

"As for keeping an eye on you, you don't have to do anything. Please be forgiving of the townsfolk if they act suspicious, however."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor
Rob the GM wrote:
Ekira's eyes narrow at Iovo. "Do you question my faith?"

No, I question the voice you say is your god’s. It conflicts with some of what I know.

...and she still hasn’t answered any questions of mine!

Iovo then spends a moment trying to recenter herself before saying “By the way, does your god usually sneak around, whispering? I know there is one of the human gods that is all for secrets and such, but I didn’t think it was that one.

0 ranks knowledge Relgiion, and it is a human god

As Ekira stares at Rees, she asks “Do you ever look for good in people?

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

"Well, I think I can manage to not do anything," Garif responds, "though Nico is the real champion at that particular sport." Scratching his chin in thought for a moment, he adds, "I know you've got a lot on your mind, sheriff, but from what just happened, the townsfolk may do more to me than act suspicious. I'll be careful, and I know my friends will protect me, but you might want to keep an eye on any folk you know have a taste for vigilante justice, who are looking to save you the trouble of hanging me for murder."

Turning to Kleines and Shieara, he asks, "I bet you never expected me, of all people, to have to worry about vigilantes hanging me for murder, eh? What an odd situation."

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

"Not unless we traveled to the Plane of Earth" Kleines says with a smile. "We will, of course, defend you if necessary, though I'm hoping we can diffuse any threats before it comes to that."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

"Yes, we've all got your back! And Nico's too, of course."

CoCo ruffles her feathers at the mention of the cat.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

"Yeah, I'm not inclined t' hurt innocent folks but I'm not inclined t' let 'em hurt a friend either," Shieara agrees. "But now we need t' figure out what t' do next...an' whatever it is, it'll be that much worse with that woman runnin' around throwin' shade too," she sighs.

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

"Hello, Sheriff," Damiar says, holding out her hand. "I don't think that you and I have had a chance to meet. I'm Damiar. My talkative twin Iovo and I have been entertaining in the Beer Garden, when we heard a disturbing rumor."

Damiar pauses for effect. "Someone said there was a shapeshifting demon around, taking people's guises. I don't know if there was a demon or something as mundane as a kitsune or a skilled illusionist, but I think that someone impersonated Garif with the intent to frame him."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Grand Lodge

M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Sorry all, been traveling!

Sense Motive (vs human): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 = 11

As the inquisitor studies him, Rees meets her gaze and studies her just as intently... or more so. His expression dares her to answer Iovo's question, dares her to prove that her "god" is the one who's been speaking to her.

Sense Motive (general, to read her) (vs human): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 = 6

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Shoulda taken ten!


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

With the Sherriff

Tobias Luin's brow furrows as Damiar mentions a shapeshifted demon. "I have not heard that rumor. If there is an actual shapeshifting demon in our midst, then that is quite alarming. I would suggest that you bring this rumor to the attention of the Inquisitor Ekira; she is likely the one best equipped to follow up on it."

He pauses, in thought. After a moment, he turns to Shieara, "You mean Ekira when you talk about a woman throwing shade, don't you? Have you had a run-in with her? She can be very severe... but she comes from the front on the border with the Worldwound. She has seen terrible things. And, she is sworn to Iomedae, which means that ultimately she is on the side of justice and life."

Speaking with Ekira

Rees is really not to get much of a read from Ekira. What's more, his attempt to stare her down in an intimidating manner seems to have no effect on her.

She turns her attention back to Iovo, her eyes narrowing again. "Iomedae does not sneak around and speak in deceptive whispers like the Reaper of Reputation! It's sacrilege even to suggest that if you are not serious, but trying to get under my skin! The god speaks to me because I am a loyal servant. Many gods operate in this manner; this does not make them secretive nor sneakers."

After Iovo's second question, Eikra pauses for a few moments, concentrating on Iovo again. Iovo suspects she's being scanned for alignment yet again. After the pause, her face sets itself into a pensive frown, and she merely says, "Hmmm."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Iovo holds up her hands and quickly apologizes “I really don’t know much about the human gods. Sorry, you didn’t tell me anything about Iomedae and I was trying to figure out which one that was.

With a gesture of contrition common among Desnan worshippers she adds “I do not wish to disrespect any goodly deity. Which one is Iomedae?

She is sincere about not wanting to disrespect a god.


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

Now Ekira softens a little bit, because there's nothing a cleric or inquisitor loves more than telling others about their patron deity. (Well, OK, depending on the deity. Clerics and Inquisitors of Rovagug aren't happy unless they're burning s%#& down.)

"Iomedae is the Inheritor, having inherited the mantle of Aroden. She ascended a millenium ago after passing the Test of the Starstone in Absalom, having performed 11 famous miracles during the Shining Crusade. She is the god of honor, justice, and valor. She and her church stand between the light and the darkness, defenders of what is good, holding back the hoardes that would destroy civilization. It is the church of Iomedae that bolsters the faith and inspires many of the warriors that make up the Mendevian Crusade, holding back the foul taint of the abyss that would otherwise spill out of the Worldwound and overwhelm Avistan."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Iovo listens carefully to Ekira, nodding along.

Sense Motive, is she sincere in her professed faith?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Seems very sincere to me...deluded, but sincere.

Given what else you have said, I assume you seek justice here by finding those responsible for the murders. If so, your purpose would align with our own.

With a puzzled expression, she asks “How common is it for Iomedae to speak directly to her followers? Do you know a lot of priests and other faithful who have had this happen? How many?

Fingering her butterfly clasp, she admits “I don’t think I’ve ever met a Desnan who made that claim, perhaps it is different with the new human gods?

She looks around, hoping the others will finish their conversation with the sheriff and return soon. I don’t think I will get anywhere investigating, but if this Ekira would talk with Kleines I think we might be able to turn an enemy into an ally...


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

For the folks coming back from talking to the Sheriff

Perception DC 24:
The stork was there again, on a roof near the Sherrif's house. As you come out, the stork takes wing and flies away.

Iovo and Rees

The frost returns to Ekira's attitude. "Perhaps," she says, "it is because you have never met a Desnan who has seen what the crusaders at the edge of the Worldwound have seen. Nor have you met a Desnan who has faced the kind of treachery from supposedly high-minded adventuring groups. The previous murders were committed by Pathfinders. If there are more in town..."

And her eyes narrow, and she says this next bit pointedly to the two of you, "or if there are any other adventurers in town, then it bears keeping a close eye on them."

She swirls her cloak imperiously and beings to walk away.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17, T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions:

Earlier w/the Sheriff

Shieara sighs. "Mebbe so. I don't doubt that she's seen some stuff out there. But out of all of Iomedae's followers that I've had th' pleasure of meetin' or workin' with, I ain't ever met one quite like her."

"All that bein' said, I'd much rather have her as an ally an' not a foe," she continues, holding up her hands. "But she's so dang certain that th' Pathfinders and any other visitin' folks are up t' no good that I don't see how we're gonna get anywhere with her."
______________

Shie can't make that Perception check, alas.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Have a nice day!” Iovo calls out to the grumpy Inquisitor as she stalks away.

Looking to Rees, she then says “Guess we better get back to checking around here, see if we can’t find some evidence,

Remind me to ask Kleines if he knows anyone who has been on the front lines against the forces of the Worldwound.

She will then resume checking for clues and ask the deputies who took care of the body if they found anything,

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Phinellippa agrees with Shieara. "This is indisputably a predicament."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees studies the inquisitor's cloak as she begins to stalk away, his face thoughtful. She acts like an Elder, but Iovo didn't even know the 'god' she represents. Is everyone out here pretending to be an Elder — including me? Leader protect us... how I miss being a simple member of the community, and letting others weed loyal from disloyal. But I'm here... and if she won't listen to reason, perhaps she'll be swayed by fear of consequences.

"Wait," he says, making up his mind. Pausing long enough for her to turn back toward him, he continues, "This 'Iomedae' of yours — what is her penalty for failure? Particularly, since you say she 'defends what is good'... what is her penalty for one whose failure causes loyal community members to be killed?"

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16 | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 1/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

"I was hoping I would have a chance to meet you, ma'am" Kleines gives a respectful bow to the inquisitor before continuing. "I trained under the tutelage of Iomedaeans at the Tempering Hall, and have great respect for those that carry out the Inheritor's will." Kleines will focus on her for a moment, using the Paladin individual detect evil ability (just to be safe).

"I would humbly ask you, however, to think on the teachings of Irori for a moment. The Master of Masters teaches patience and learning before action, and while there may not be time for such things while performing your good work on the front lines, we are afforded the opportunity for deliberate study and careful decisions here, away from the battlefront. I ask you not to rush to judgement, but to allow yourself and us time to fully understand the situation before making crucial and irrevocable decisions. As for these people before you, I can vouch for them personally as a paladin trained by your own church. I have traveled with them for a long time now, and have studied them. Not a one of them contains the kind of evil or treachery you suspect them of."

Diplomacy, if appropriate here:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Silver Crusade

M Dwarf Druid 3 | HP 25 | AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 14 (18 vs bull rush, trip) | Fort +5 | Ref +4 | Will +7 +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init +2 | Perc +10

Great post, Kleines! I hope it has some effect on her grumpy, suspicious demeanor.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Garif pauses, thinking he's seen something out of the corner of his eye, but when he looks around he can't quite spot it. With a resigned shrug, he says, "Well, I guess we should go talk to Ekira - though I wonder if I'd do better to go hide somewhere while this all settles down." Turning to the sheriff, he continues, "Don't worry, I won't do that. I'm just not used to this sort of thing, and I'm a bit worried that someone, either that inquisitor or someone else, will decide to take 'justice' into their hands instead of waiting until the truth is known. But I'll stay with my friends and see what happens."

Not much else to say to the sheriff, ready to move on.


Map of Dawnton - Scars Rumors & Places of Interest - Day 4, early evening

Ekira has stalked away from Iovo, and doesn't seem to hear Rees' question. She's gone by the time the other Pathfinders have arrived back together.

The group shares information, and what's left of the day passes without further notable incident. However, right as dusk is approaching, something happens. A village approaches the group and hands them a letter.

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,029 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Moar Core Tour All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.