GM Lorenzo's PFS Quest: Honor's Echo - Redelia's PbP GM Mentorship Program (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handout, and More!


1 to 50 of 217 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Fast-paced, action-driving classic role-play of PFS Quest: Honor's Echo as part of Redelia's PbP GM Mentorship Program.

A series of six Quests designed for 1st-level characters.

The grand Taldan Empire once controlled half of Avistan, but during the Even-Tongued Conquest, it could not manage an ongoing war with both its neighbor Qadira and the secessionist rebels in its outer provinces. As Taldor struggled to control its crumbling territories, its monarchs sought scapegoats for its failures, including the righteous war hero Countess Honaria Alcasti. Stripped of its nobility, her family has survived in obscurity for seven hundred years. However, her descendant Remaio has identified evidence that might redeem the Alcasti name and his ancestor’s honor. Can the PCs help exonerate her name and bring glory to Taldor once more?

"Honor’s Echo" takes the PCs from the verdant wilds of Andoran to the arid wastes of Qadira to the cultural heart of Taldor itself. Experience the adventures in any order to create a unique story.

Written by Eleanor Ferron, Jenny Jarzabski, and Landon Winkler.

---

This closed campaign is part of Redelia's PbP GM Mentorship Program.

Instructions: Once you have been accepted into the party by the GM, please "ninja-dot" here in order to enter this scenario into the list of your campaign threads.

PbP TIP: To "ninja-dot," post on this thread, and immediately afterword, delete the post. Why? To keep the campaign thread clear of unnecessary clutter. Clutter belongs on the discussion thread, instead.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

For millennia, magnificent Taldor reigned as an enduring empire, praised for its culture, military, wealth, and connections to the glory of Azlant. By the beginning of the fifth millennium AR, Taldor had begun to sag under the weight of excessive ceremony and decadence. Its old rival Qadira led an invasion against its declining neighbor in 4079. Sensing an opportunity, many of Taldor’s western provinces declared their independence in what was called the Even-Tongued Conquest—a war on two fronts that the empire could not handle. Taldor repelled the Qadiran forces, but it never regained its lost lands.

In the aftermath of the war, emperors of Taldor sought scapegoats to bear the shame of their defeat. They stripped numerous noble families of their titles and lands to condemn their failures in the two campaigns. Most who suffered this punishment faded into obscurity and never rose again. For an ambitious few, reclaiming the titles they should have inherited is an all-consuming goal.

Countess Honaria Alcasti was an influential commander during the campaigns before and immediately following the Even-Tongued Conquest, yet all her skill could not make up for the shortage of supplies, and her career came to an ignoble end. When she dared to critique the crown’s strategies, the emperor sentenced her family to life as common people.

Her many-times-great grandson Remaio Alcasti only has incomplete references to his ancestor’s heroism and title, and he longs to exonerate her name and regain the noble title that he believes he deserves. If he can gather the right evidence and present it in Oppara, he is certain that he will succeed. He needs your help to follow his leads across several countries to uncover the truth and, with evidence in hand, to advocate for his ancestor’s grand legacy.

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

Previously, during an introduction point...

It is very hard for Bobbi to maintain a 'solid' form.

As a result, they have to kind of 'ration' out when they're upright and on two legs, but they would have taken the time out while en-route to the meeting to explain this to the party, and offered a nicely polished pot with an emblazoned blue and gold eagle on the side of it for 'when they got tired'.

When they are travelling as a blob-like being, usually in the hinterlands away from people who will panic they will carry their armor, weapons, backpack, and pot 'inside' their goopy body so they aren't a 'drag' on party resources. Unlike what one might expect from an ooze, they are easily able to keep up with the party regardless of their form unless the party uses means to go much faster than normal.

For when they are in the 'puddle' form, they do have a chalkboard and a piece of chalk that they 'spit' out to communicate with, but they have warned it's a very crude method of communication and prone to misunderstandings.

That all aside, they are very excited to be here and proud to be helping their fellow Pathfinders!

Character icons and stats added to Slide 1, able to move around in formation as needed, just put there for a place-holder. They have a Day Job, but not rolling it yet until end of Quests.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Ijo is a slender half-orc with a sly grin. He wears a leather armor and carries a bag with typical sundry items. He frequently takes deep breaths like a great weight rests on his soul.

Occasionally you catch wisps of ghostly tendrils around his hands and forearms.


When the group arrived for the meeting with Remaio Alcasti, Maskini entered the room very carefully.

Even after the months he has spent exploring Avistan, he still is not used to the low doorways used in most Taldan construction. He bends himself almost in half to squeeze through the doorway, then carefully straightens, with his head nearly brushing the ceiling.

The sensation of being closed in is not comfortable for him, but he chooses to ignore the discomfort, running through some meditative exercises in his mind to maintain his calm exterior.

During the discussion, he sits quietly, observing and taking note of the discussions, unless asked a question directly, then responding with short, succinct answers in broken Common.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

I'm usually the biggest guy in the room. This is quite a treat, friend. You here to see Remaio also? Umberto look Maskini up and down.


Maskini presses his palms together, as if praying, and bows to the half orc in greeting.

"Remaio Alcasti, yes. We meet here." Touching two fingers to his chest, he introduces himslf, "My name, Maskini, from Bekyar."

He then holds his hand out with palm up and opens his eyes in invitation.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Ijo Ibn Son, call me Ijo (Eee-ho). A pleasure. Is this your jar? Ijo clasps Maskini's forearm as he is accustomed to greeting and motions to the jar of ooze on the table.


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

A chipper halfling glides through the low doorway.

"As luck would have it, this place appears fitted for me!"

She looks up at the human and the half orc, eyeing them both sideways.

"How did you two even get in here?!"

Finally she saves them from the embarrassment of answering and offers her hand for introductions.

"I'm Enora. Here to meet with Remaio Alcasti."

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Greetings. Yes, it's a tight squeeze. I am Ijo, this is Maskini.


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

Good to meet the both of you. I assume you’re here for the same? I bring knowledge of spells and the arcane. I sometimes utilize forms of arcane expression less formal than “spells” as well, but we don’t have to get into that just now.


Maskini allows the arm clasp with only a brief moment of uncertainty. He has seen the gesture many times since leaving the Expanse, but is still unsure of the protocol.

Peering at the jar on the table, he is about to respond to Ijo's question when the halfling woman enters.

He bows to her when he is introduced, saying simply, "To serve is to learn. Maskini hope that skills make team safer, also reach jar on high shelf"

He smiles.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

We are. I maintain a connection with the spirit world that offers me certain powers. Ijo manifests an Ectoplasmic Lash from his right hand and retracts it after a few seconds.

At 1st level, as a full-round action an ectoplasmatist can manifest one or two lashes of ectoplasm tethered to her by wispy, ectoplasmic tendrils.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Your employer, Ramaio Alcasti, has arranged lodging for you at the Bait-n-Switch, an affordable 'inn' in Eastport, the smallest of Oppara's two ports. It's separated from Westport by the structures of the Grand Bridge of the Empire. It receives river traffic coming in from as far away as Sardis Township in the Porthmos Gap. The district around the docks is poor, with buildings made of wood. Eastport district has burned to the ground two times in the last hundred years.

A rough-looking adolescent boy finds you gathered in the inn's bar, sipping the local swill that the buxom and pouty barmaid insisted is called 'ale' in this establishment.

"Name's Jippo. Mister Alcasti said he's 'feeling a bit under the weather this morning' and sent me to make sure ya got his note. I'm s'posed to take ya to yer 'maritime conveyance,' and ensure ya depart 'post-haste.' Follow me, if ya please."

Map & Images

Arriving at the docks, you confirm Ramaio Alcasti has indeed hired a small flat-bottomed riverboat to take you to the edge of the Verduran Forest. The crew couldn't be any less interested in you or the purpose of your journey. They're sailors, and they've been paid. Nothing else matters to them.

As the boat glides to a stop among the sweet-smelling blackwood trees on the river’s edge, a gnome woman with twigs braided into her hair waves to the boat’s pilot. A small bear waits patiently at her heel, while a red-bearded dwarf glowers over her shoulder.

As you step out of the riverboat, the vessel’s pilot says, "Fare thee well. Yer return trip's paid fer. We'll be here to take ya back to the cap'tal."

The brusk gnome introduces herself, "I'm Trajet. The dwarf here is Polgrin, and this is Firepaw. Let's go." Your guides set off, looking back from time to time to see if you're managing to keep up.

Sense Motive DC20:
You discover that Trajet and Polgrin are quite unhappy with the party and just want to get to the tree as soon as possible. While Polgrin finds the party distasteful, Trajet is concealing raw hostility.


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Maskini follows the gnome and dwarf calmly, attempting to shorten his long strides to their speed.

Along the way, he watches the forest, attemtping to indetify the animals as they pass.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

sense motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Ijo notices their concealed anger and prefers to get it out in the open. He jugs it up next to Trajet, avoiding the bear. What? You have something against orcs? We're just here on a job, same as you. No hard feelings. Ijo extends a hand to shake.

diplo: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Enora isn't sure what the problem is, but she notices Ijo sidle up to Trajet to poke at some festering resent or fear of... Ijo himself? There are many who do not like Orcs and half-breeds.

After his question is answered she attempts to lighten the mood.

So Trajet, are we really headed to a sentient, talking tree or is that just an embellishment on some simpler explanation, such as a constant flow of wind through this tree's leaves?

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

Previously...

During the wait, the pot would bubble a bit anxiously, and a tendril would point at a small metal plate next to the pot.

On the Plate:

1. Contents of pot fellow Pathfinder. Not joking.

2. Will assume more solid form when out of town and about to hit mission area.

3. Please try to keep people from killing me, I'm really a nice person.

4. Will talk more when solid.

5. Backpack, armor, shield, and spear under table. Leave armor and shield out, I'll wear them when solid. Thank you.

A few moments before the boat arrives, the pot tips over and forms itself into a humanoid being wearing a suit of finely crafted lamellar armor and bearing a wooden shield also of respectable material strength and manufacture.

They will work their lips a few moments, as if trying to remember how to talk

"I'm Bobbi Libertas, I've been sent along by the Pathfinder Society to help explore this mystery, please forgive the squishiness, it's a long story"

On arrival at the dock

"Oh, hello there! I'm Bobbi! How do you... do?" the oft-times unsolid person starts then breaks off as it appears that the guides are less than conversational. They will wave politely to Firepaw, since the bear seems about as social as the other two.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Diplomacy(Aid Ijo): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

When the pot in the boat begins gurgling and boiling over and then forms into some kind of strange-looking humanoid, the pilot and crew make warding signs against evil, relieved when the party and its disturbing companion disembark to meet their guides.

Ijo ibn Son gets a sense that your guides are not pleased with your visit, and he tries to reduce the tension with some straightforward conversation, joined in the effort by Enora and Bobbi.

The gnome Trajet is not interested in making friends with outsiders. She says, "Perhaps it would be best if you all just left the forest."

This suggestion earns her disapproving look from the dwarf Polgrin, but the gnome does not elaborate.

Trajet’s companion, Firepaw, is actually quite friendly. The bear follows Maskini, as the monk wanders along the side of the trail, examining the abundant flora and fauna in these ancient woods.

Trajet sternly calls Firepaw back to her side, chiding him, "The druids will think you're a simple-minded cur, exhibiting such slavish devotion to mere strangers."

Polgrin does his best to avoid conversation, but he can’t keep himself from talking about the tree, when Enora mention it. The dwarf explains, "It was given the gift of speech by one of my ancestors so it could explain the damage that the Taldane nobles at the time were doing to the forest. Since then, it’s become an advisor and judge for the local druids."

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Ijo doesn't seem to be getting any traction but notes the displeasure. He instead moves over to Bobbi for an introduction. Nice to shake a hand, finally. That's quite a trick there. Control over one's body is an impressive feat.

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

On the boat:

"Sorry about that, and thank you for the trip up, it was nice and not-bumpy, ah, good ah work!" Bobbi offers hopefully.

Back to the woods and the walk

"Is the forest suffering here, too? There was a circle of awesome druids outside of Bellis far to the west of here that were constantly having to deal with loggers and folks from the Lumber Consortium."

Bobbi offers that respectfully then has a brief moment of quiet reminiscence.

The druids there were patient enough to help me when everyone else thought I was just a monster and taught me that I was still here and a person and important. I wonder how they are doing.

GM:
That's as close as I'll be touching on Bobbi's backstory here, I suspect. It's under a tag on their profile.


Maskini smiles at the bear as it follows him. He stops briefly to pick some berries, sharing the bounty witj the bear before lengthening his stride to quickly catch up with the slowly moving party.

At mention of the talking tree, his interest is piqued.

"Talking tree for teacher is great mystery. In Expanse, often hear story of spirits of forest, but trees we harvest never complain.

Does tree have own spirit? Is spirit of fey bound to tree through magic?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Earlier on the Riverboat

The vessel's pilot manages a shaky smile, in response to the oozemorph's cordial courtesy. "Em, yeah, we know the Sellen and what we're about, right enough." The rest of the small crew avoids eye contact muttering prayers to Hanspur, god of inland waterways, for his protection.

Along the Trail

When Bobbi mentions loggers and the Lumber Consortium, Trajet frowns and her expression turns dark. She spits on the ground, "Trespassers and ravagers of Nature." She scratches Firepaw's neck, suppressing her anger.

Pleased with Maskini's interest in his favorite subject, Polgrin continues talking. "The tree you seek is an ancient blackwood, an awakened tree no longer able to move but still quite capable of speech. We druids consult the Ancient One on matters of grave import, as a wise counsellor and just adjudicator. Teaching is a mundane task best left to the members of our Circle."

Both druids look angry and fall silent, when Maskini mentions 'harvesting' trees.

This part of the Verduran Forest is filled with blackwood trees and shows little sign of logging. Forest life is plentiful but harmless here, with birds singing in the trees and frogs croaking in the leaf litter, but nothing large enough to challenge the party.

A rain-fed stream rushes between the trees, back towards the Sellen River. The canopy above is thick enough to cast the area into green twilight and provide home to the dozens of birds chattering above. The path breaks away from the stream to the southeast, leading past a small clearing that holds several weathered tombstones.

Perception DC15:
Inspecting the stones, you decipher the writing on the central stone: 'Aurenia, speaker of the forest.'


Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Maskini walks on, lost in thought.

The Master taught that men must be free to explore their mind, body, and spirit, and that slavery interfered this this exploration.
It naturally follows that any creation with mind, body, and spirit must be free.
If trees can have spirit, where does it end? Animals? Crops? Blades of grass? Rocks? Water?
How are we to eat, if even the grass we walk upon can have a spirit? Is the act of eating itself an infringement upon the sacred nature of the universe?


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Enora cocks her head quizzically at the sighting of the phrase on the center stone.

"Aurenia, speaker of the forest... is that the name of our speaking tree?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"No, halfling," Polgrin explains, "Aurenia was my ancestor, who granted the ancient tree its ability to speak, and in the grave beneath that stone, she was returned to Mother Earth." The dwarf pauses a moment and lowers his head in deep reflection. Then he straightens up and dusts some moss off the tombstone. He points to the stones on the left and right. "The two beside it belonged to her children."

The druids resume the march, heading ever deeper into the Verduran Forest.

---

Eventually, you reach a massive old blackwood tree standing at the side of the trail. Sheets of moss cling to its bark, covering it entirely except for a jagged crack that suggests a mouth.

Trajet halts and calls out to the tree, "Ancient One, I ask for your judgment against these outsiders." Her seething resentment is astonishing. "I, Trajet, entreat you for permission to punish these outsiders, who shame the Wildwood Lodge with their bribes and treat the sacred tree as a mere servant."

She casts her anger-filled gaze around the lot of you.

Hands trembling in fury, she points at Bobbi, "That one acknowledged dealings with loggers and interacting with the hated Lumber Consortium."

"And this one," she points an accusing finger at Maskini, "even admitted to the systematic genocide of trees in his homeland. He called it 'harvesting.'"

In a calm and deep, gravelly voice, the tree speaks, "No, Daughter, I must refuse your request. These outsiders are invited guests of the forest. I will not bring dishonor upon us by condoning your hostility."

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

At the overgrown gravesite, Bobbi will get somber and quiet, and nod respectfully. They don't say anything to disrupt the moment of sacred recollection. I wonder if I'll get a grave like that, or if they'll have to bury me in a jar because I'd just seep into whatever...

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! You TOTALLY took that OUT OF CONTEXT! 'Deal with' as in 'making them stop being total butt-heads towards nature'" Bobbi nearly splutters, droplets flying off of them as they start getting a bit angry themselves, their body twitching in just plain odd ways as their control waves a bit.

"Natural ways of things are always better if they can be done." they offer with a great deal of effort to control the twitchiness, but not biting out the words, instead slowing down the pace and taking deep breaths while holding their shield with two hands to resist the urge to form them into weapons. I'm not going to start the fight she wants, but if one does start, we're sure the heck going to end it, and not murder them doing it.

Bobbi glances to the tree. "Honored Ancient One, thank you for your patience and willingness to share what you know of the woods with us."


Maskini does not react to the tone of the accusation. Instead, he asks the question that is burning inside of him.

"Jen 'o side?

Maskini think you mean kill? In Expanse, tree grow quickly. Remove old tree, make room for many new trees. Use leaves, make clothes, roof for hut. Use wood, make boat, house, strong bow and spear. Trade for food and medicine.

Tree provide for all Bekyar needs, so we make sure trees stay healthy. Maybe this bad, but leaders say good, so Maskini do. If bad, you teach better way. Maskini listen.

Maskini must know. You eat, bear eat, tree eat. Tree smother and poison all baby plants that try to grow near. This Jen 'o side?

You eat fruit, root, steal food from mouth of animal. This Jen 'o side?

Bear eat fish. This Jen 'o side?"

Maskini stands with a welcoming expression, hoping for some wisdom to better understand the nature of the body. He extends his hand, palm up.

Maybe these answers are not really that important. Maybe we should listen to the talking tree instead of talking to these druids.

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Ijo is a bit caught off guard by the assault and lashes out at Trajet. We have done no such thing. Relent or be dealt with! His orcish side showing through in anger.

intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Turning to the tree, We have no ill will to you or your kind. We only wish to know about your experience with Countess Honaria Alcasti, if you please.

diplo: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

I hope my combat rolls aren't this poor!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Trajet shrieks in fury, "Liar! You murder trees and then dare to rationalize your heinous crimes!"

Her rage finally boiling over, the gnome druid ignores the tree's admonition and takes matters into her own hands. "Firepaw, attack that one!" She points at Maskini. "Polgrin, help me slay these war criminals!" Stepping behind her bear companion, she draws a small square of red cloth from a pouch at her belt and begins chanting.

Before you can react, hundreds of high-pitched squeaks fill the air as a mass of small, carnivorous bats surges forth, all of them hungry for blood.

"Daughter, you disappoint me," the old blackwood tree rebukes Trajet in its gravelly voice, "Strangers, please show mercy to my wayward children. Show them leniency."

Polgrin seems torn between wanting to help his friend and obeying the counsel of the tree. "Trajet, forgive me, but the Ancient One has spoken. I cannot be party to this recklessness." He holds fast, unwilling to act in defiance of the old blackwood tree.

Spellcraft DC17:
Trajet cast summon swarm.

Knowledge (nature) DC12:
This is a bat swarm, hundreds of diminutive animals with the swarm subtype. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

The bats swarm over Maskini, Enora, and Ijo ibn Son. The ravenous creatures are also incredibly distracting.
Swarm Attack/Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Enora, Masking, and Ijo ibn Son: Fortitude DC11 vs Distraction:
Distraction (Ex) A creature with this ability can nauseate the creatures that it damages. Any living creature that takes damage from a creature with the distraction ability is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save negates the effect.

Initiative:

’Bobbi’: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Ijo Ibn Son: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Maskini: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Enora: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Trajet: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Firepaw: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Polgrin: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Trajet
Bat Swarm
Polgrin
---
Enora (-2; 1 bleed; Fortitude DC11 or nauseated for 1 round)
Maskini (-2; 1 bleed; Fortitude DC11 or nauseated for 1 round)
---
Firepaw
---
Bobbi
Ijo ibn Son (-2; 1 bleed; Fortitude DC11 or nauseated for 1 round)

Enora and Maskini, you're up!


Know(Nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Weapon immunity is part of the swarm traits, so Special Attacks (which we have already experienced)

As the mass of bats spiralled forward, Maskini shouted out advice. "Is swarm of bats. No can hurt with weapon, only area effects!"

Fort: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Unable to concentrate as the bats overwhelm him, Maskini takes a 5-foot step away from the bear and pulls a flask of Alchemist's Fire from his belt pouch.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Maskini recalls that a swarm of diminutive creatures is immune to weapon damage. His experience has also confirmed his knowledge that a bat swarm's special attacks include wounding, causing lingering bleed damage, and distraction, causing brief nausea.

(I corrected the link to nauseated.)


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

Fortitude, DC11: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Enora is surprised and overwhelmed by the bats suddenly surrounding her. At first it seems just an annoyance, but that suddenly changes to waves of heat and increasing discomfort enveloping her body.

She quickly backs out of the swarm, turns to take a few more steps and then kneels down to collect herself.

15', move action

Gods!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Maskini and Enora step out of the swarm of bats, continued to bleed from their wounds. The ravenous creatures continue to flap around Ijo, subjecting him to hundreds of diminutive bites.
(Ijo ibn Son: Fortitude DC11 vs Distraction)

Heeding its mistress's command to attack, Firepaw skirts the edge of the swarm and mauls the monk.
Bite; Damage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 151d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

The ancient blackwood moans, pleading, "Oh, this madness must stop! Strangers, I beg you to show my children mercy."

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Trajet
Bat Swarm
Polgrin
---
Enora (-3; 1 bleed, nauseated)
Maskini (-9; 1 bleed, nauseated)
---
Firepaw
---
Bobbi
Ijo ibn Son
(-2; 1 bleed; Fortitude DC11 or nauseated for 1 round)

Bobbi and Ijo ibn Son, you're up!

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

Bobbi 'stretches' into the space between Trajet and Polgrit, then works their way along the edge of the swarm but not into it as they lash out with a hand that has largely lost cohesion to try and subdue the irate gnome.

Bobbi's movement will provoke an AoO from Trajet if they have a weapon out.

"Stop this madness. It does the woods no good and brings pain to your mentor."

Morphic Weaponry(Bashing): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Damage(if hits): 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

fort save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Ijo steps back to avoid the bats and concentrates to produce his ectoplasmic tendrils.

Ectoplasmic Lash, full round action to produce. I'll produce the 2 handed version. 5ft step.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Bobbi admonishes Trajet for her hostility and swings an odd appendage at the druid, though the gnome manages to evade the blow.

Still bleeding from the bites he suffered, Ijo ibn Son steps out of the bat swarm and toward the druid, and the half-orc does some strange morphing of his own.

Looking around for a way to stay out of melee, Trajet curses and draws her sickle, then tries to cast a spell defensively, juggling scraps of tallow, brimstone, and powdered iron. A 5-foot diameter burning globe of fire appears next to Bobbi.
Concentration: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Bobbi: Reflex 14 or:
Fire Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 1) = 9

"You dare bring fire into the forest, Trajet!" The old tree groans at the battle unfolding beneath its branches, "Can't we all just get along!"

The mindless bats swarm over their nearest prey, Maskini and Firepaw. Maskini falls unconscious, his lifeblood seeping out onto the forest floor. The bear roars in frustration, swatting at the hundreds of bats inflicting their vicious bites on the beast.
Swarm Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Firepaw Fortitude Save DC11: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Map & Images

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Trajet
Bat Swarm
Polgrin
---
Enora (-3; 1 bleed)
Maskini (-16; 1 bleed, unconscious, dying)
---
Firepaw (-5; 1 bleed, nauseated)
---
Bobbi
Ijo ibn Son (-3; 1 bleed)

Enora and Maskini, you're up!

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

You've done enough, Trajet. Stop this! Ijo pleads.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

Having collected herself and gotten over the nausea, Enora quickly joins the half orc and begins to produce multi-colored sands from a pouch at her belt. After mixing them in her palm for a brief moment while reciting spell words, she blows on the pile, causing it to launch forth as a bright, prismatic color spray in a cone that covers both the gnome and the dwarf.

20', move action
Cast Color Spray, standard action, 15' cone capturing Trajet and Polgrin.

Color Spray effects (Will DC14 negates):
2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Bobbi jukes out of the way and utters a single syllable in an almost profane manner.

Druidic:
"STOP!"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Bobbi shifts out of the way--barely--of the flaming sphere. When Trajet hears Bobbi speak in the secret tongue of their kind, her face twists in even deeper fury. "TRAITOR to your circle! Faithless consort to evil! How can you betray us?!"

Enora's momentary nausea passes, and she casts a spell, a vivid cone of clashing colors springing forth from her hand and enveloping both druids. Polgrin falls unconscious, stunned and blinded. Trajet doesn't go down, but she's stunned and blinded by the arcanist's magic.
Trajet Will DC14 vs Illusion spell: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 2 = 12
Polgrin Will DC14 vs spell: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12

GM Stuff:
1d4 ⇒ 42d4 ⇒ (1, 3) = 41d4 ⇒ 3

The beleaguered bear, Firepaw, steps out of the swarm of bats, swatting at the hundreds of creatures still flapping around the fallen monk.

Maskini is barely visible, covered by a mass of angry bats, biting and gnawing at his flesh. He lies there, still bleeding, very near death! His unconscious mind hears the call of the Boneyard...

As Ijo ponders his next move, his wounds continue to bleed.

Map & Images

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Trajet (blinded, stunned)
Bat Swarm
Polgrin (unconscious, blinded, stunned)
---
Enora (-3; 1 bleed)
Maskini (-16; 1 bleed, unconscious, dying)
---
Firepaw (-5; 1 bleed, nauseated)
---
Bobbi
Ijo ibn Son
(-4; 1 bleed)

Bobbi and Ijo, you're up!

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Ijo whips his concentrated ectoplasmic lash with both hands on Trajet, hopefully knocking her unconcious to stop the battle.

Trajet, this is for your own good. Stop this madness.

ectoplasmic lash, 2H: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 4) + 4 = 9

Liberty's Edge

Stats:
Oozemorph 1||HP 12/12|AC:20/T:14/FF:16|F:+4/R:+5/W:+1|CMB:+3|CMD: 17/13FF|BAB: +1|Init: +3|Acr:+7|Cft(Alch): +4|K:Planes/Rel/Per.:+5|Dip./S.M.:+1|EscArt/Fly/Ride: +3|PFS# 145296-30
Consumables:
Fluid Form 1/1 per day|10/10 Sling bullets|2/2 Torch|2/2 Trail Rations

Bobbi watches the scene unfold in front of them and has a brief moment of paralysis as they weigh the need to subdue the insane druid or to try to save the fellow party member, and then they decide firmly on the later, extending their limbs out as slimy pseudopods and pulling themselves next to Maskini.

They then attempt to stretch out their body to cover the worst of the bleeding, in an effort to staunch it. Yeah, unfortunately Shifter doesn't get UMD or any sort of healing spells, so this is all I gots...

Heal(Stop bleeding, can't Stabilize until this is done): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Grand Lodge

M Half Orc Lunar Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3/Paladin (OathLoyalty, Mind Sword) 2| HP 35/30 | AC 21/14/17 | F+12 R+13 W+13 | Init +5 | Perc +2 | Active Condition: None

Taking you up on the retcon.

Ijo darts over to behind Maskini and drags him back.

cmb to drag to see if i can get more than 5ft: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

While Trajet stands stunned and blinded, her sickle at her feet, and Polgrin lies unconscious next to the old blackwood tree, Ijo runs over to Maskini and pulls the fallen monk from the swarm of bats. Bobbi manages to staunch the man's bleeding.

The bats swarm over Firepaw, tearing at the bear's flesh. Then they disperse, returning to whatever dark place from which they'd been summoned. The bear rolls on the ground, its roar more a pained, miserable moan than a battle cry.
Swarm Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Enora's bites continue to bleed, as she considers what to do next.

Map & Images

Round 3
Bold
may act.

Trajet (blinded, stunned)
Bat Swarm
Polgrin (unconscious, blinded, stunned)
---
Enora (-4; 1 bleed)
Maskini (-16; unconscious, dying; Stabilization (DC10 CON) check)
---
Firepaw (-8; 1 bleed, nauseated)
---
Bobbi
Ijo ibn Son (-4; 1 bleed)

Enora, you're up! Maskini, please make a Stabilization (DC10 CON) check.


”Enora” | Female LN Small Halfling Arcanist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 13, T 13, FF 11 | CMD 10| F +2 R +3 W +2; +2 vs. fear | Init +2 | Perc +1 | Speed 30ft | Spells 2/3 | Arcane Reservoir 3/4 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Active Conditions: None.

With the aggressors out of commission, Enora looks down at her bleeding bite wounds. She was not the most practiced healer, but how hard could it be?

She starts tearing bits off of her cloak as makeshift gauze, stuffing and wrapping the wounds.

First aid on self to stop bleeding, standard action.
Heal, stop bleeding, DC15: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

"I... might need some help with this..."

She shuffles over to Bobbi, holding out her bleeding arms and giving a pleading look.

10', move action


Stabilize: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (9) - 5 = 4

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Enora tries to bandage her wounds, but the task proves too difficult on her own, so she asks Bobbi for help.

Maskini's soul has its bags packed, ready to depart...

Firepaw, miserable and blood weeping from the hundreds of bite marks, stumbles over to his mistress and licks her hands, seeking solace and healing.

"ENOUGH!" rumbles the Ancient One. "Hear me, Daughter. You have dishonored your Circle. Set aside your misplaced anger and treat these strangers as my guests. Bind their wounds and heal their injuries. Atone or be banished forever."

A few seconds later, Trajet regains her senses. She must have heard the old blackwood tree issue its harsh judgment, for her attitude is much changed, chastened and compliant. She avoids looking you in the eye, but with practiced skill and divine spells, she saves Maskini's life and begins healing the rest of you, tending finally to Firepaw as well.

Eventually, Polgrin rouses himself from his stupor and joins Trajet in treating the wounded.

Satisfied, the Ancient One speaks again. "I regret this unwarranted unpleasantness and thank you for your merciful restraint. Tell me, Strangers, what brings you to the forest?"


Maskini rouses and stretches as awareness comes back to him. Seeing Trajet standing over him, he has a moment of fear, tempered quickly by the understanding that she just saved his life.

Before she moves to another, Maskini grasps her hand and looks at her. "Thank you for life, sister."

Releasing her hand, he stands, making sure that the battle has ended, and stows his alchemist's fire again.

Having learned a lesson about talking too much, he silently considers the tree while waiting for party members with a better grasp of words to speak.

1 to 50 of 217 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's PFS Quest: Honor's Echo - Redelia's PbP GM Mentorship Program All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.