FAWTL Wrath of the Righteous

Game Master Jess Door

Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path, run with heroically good characters, where right makes might.

Status: ...and here we...GO!


51 to 100 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Here, take my hand," Xion replies, gently taking hold of the elf's own. "I'll help you walk." She's not sure if he's given up or simply in too much pain to move, having no medical training of her own.

At the shout from across the room, she looks up and over and sees the archer woman's leg buckle beneath her. She isn't sure what the woman with the scythe is doing, but it's apparently not enough to get her back on her feet. She makes a mental note of it, hoping to be able to get the blinded elf on his feet and down to solid ground first, or give more healing to them as needed.


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

Cassander examines the woman's leg. Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 "This may be beyond my magic to restore. It will take one of the elder priests, or else just time to heal."

He pointedly ignore's the nobleman's whinging.

How big are the spiders?


There is only the one spider you have seen, and it is almost the size of a man.

The woman looks at Trezsia, her teeth gritted. She winces as she pulls her quiver off her back and begins to pull out and examine her arrows. With a grimace she looks back up. "Only four arrows survived the fall."

Cassander comes over and examines the woman's leg. Her leg has been badly crushed and is broken in several places. With a few minutes of work, he is able to fashion a crude splint for her from wood and rope in the rubble around him. The woman cannot help tensing and the occasional gasp of pain during this procedure.

"Thank you," she manages, out of breath, as Cassander steps back to examine his handiwork. "My name is Anevia. I think I've seen you around the cathedral before. What's your name?" She struggles to her feet again, keeping her weight off her broken leg. "If I could find something to use as a crutch...I would hate to break my bow!"

Cassander can tell she is still hurting quite a bit.

Xion reaches out and takes one of the elf's hands. "Yes, yes," he agrees, clearing his throat and trying to sound decisive. "we should move. I'm sure it's not safe here. What is you name? Your experience fighting demons or other fiends?" He gropes about with his free hand, trying to get a sense of his surroundings, as he puts weight on the hand Xion is holding in an attempt to leverage his body up. "What is everyone's name? What can you tell me about this place? I have a lot of knowledge of Kenabres, its citizens and the dangers hidden here. Who here has military experience?" He manages to sit up, but it looks like it would be difficult for him to stand even without the bloody ruin made of his eyes.

The rich man looks with horror at the elven man, now that the true state of his condition is revealed to all in Cassander's light. "Oh...oh...what happened to you?!?"

"What? Who is that?" The elven man tilts his head and points his ear in the other man's direction. "Gwerm...is that you?" The tips of his ears redden, and he almost sounds embarrassed. He turns his head, as if to hide his face.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent looks from the dual-eyed woman to the wounded elf and then to the rich noble. He appears somewhat lost, his expression timid and unsure.

At the question of names, he murmurs, "I am that I am."

As the elf continues on with his queries, the Penitent looks once again to the dual-eyed woman, shutting one eye as he speaks to her.

"I will stay with this one, tend to the other, the one who is lost."

He opens his closed eye, then shuts the other.

"Or seek out that which threatens, little one."

The Penitent smiles, then looks to the wounded elf.

"I am with you brother, all will be well and there will be great things to come, take solace in your companions."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Xion nods and gently passes the elf's hand from her own to the Penitent's. "Here, hold here. My name is Xion Delonauth. I've had training and fought in a few small skirmishes but only against mortal cultists, unfortunately. Seems I'll be learning the ropes the hard way."

She looks around the rubble for a piece of wood or metal long enough to serve as a cane for Anevia, and one for the elven man as well.


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

Tasnim keeps her sword at the ready, stepping cautiously toward the rocks. She never takes her eye off of the glint of light.

"Who's there? Y'injured?"


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"I am Cassander Astrianis," the winged aasimar declares. "I have trained at the temple and guarded it, but have not yet been to the front."

"Good sir," he says to the elf, "It is good that you know much of Kenabres. Do you know anything of this cavern beneath the square? Has it always been here?"


"You are a bit if an odd fellow, aren't you? Who were the others? Cassander Astrianis? I am not familiar. Delonauth...are you by chance related to Graham Delonauth? He has some renown as a crusader. I am a veteran of many battles in the Worldwound. Perhaps you've heard of me, my name is - "

"...paranoid old loon..." the rich man mutters loudly.

"Aravashnial. I have assisted the battle against the demon hordes many times, not only in battle but in other important arcane matters."

"Aravashnial!" the woman exclaims. "What are you doing here? Weren't you up by the cathedral steps? I thought Irabeth-" Anevia stops for a moment, her voice choking up. She closes her eyes and breathes deeply for a moment to regain control of her voice. " - Irabeth said you were up front as a guest of the crusaders."

"Yes, I was up by the stairs, only yards away from Lord Hulrun. The canny old inquisitor was beginning something - his weapon was glowing with a golden light and he was casting spells even as Terendelev fell, but then - "

"Do we really have time listen to the ravings of a crazed wizard or the gossip of a sticky-fingered 'adventurer'?" the rich man brakes in suddenly. "We should be getting up to the surface. I'm Horgus Gwerm, and I have things to do on the surface. We should get there as soon as possible. I will give you one hundred fifty platinum in raw coin if you get me to the surface. If any of you have any business experience in Mendev, you'll know that I always deal honestly - you can take my promise of payment to the bank. And we should go now, rather than sitting around listening to these two chattering like magpies." Horgus crosses his arms and waits, looking from one face to the other. Anevia and Aravashnial fall into an embarrassed silence.

After a moment Aravashniel clears his throat and speaks again. "You asked about the cavern we find ourselves in. I do know that many sewers and catacombs were dug under the city during the first crusade, as Kenabres built itself from a small trading town into a staging area for attacks against the demon hordes. There are no maps, though the caverns are rumored to be quite extensive. There are rumors that there are cities of cursed monsters down here, but I have seen no definitive corroboration of these yet."

"...as if that's stopped you before..." Horgus interjects.

Tasnim, the glinting object you see at first appears to be a stray silver piece, but as you get closer you see it looks more like a large silver scale from some beast.

Xion, you find a broken chair back and leg that you think can be modified into a makeshift crutch for Anevia


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Xion doesn't let the fop finish his spiel. "Silence, you self-centered buffoon!" she shouts, pointing at Gwerm and snarling. "Your coin is all you care for while we rot in this dungeon, and you've done nothing but whine and mope and gabber while the rest of us tend the wounded or search for dangers. You haven't even grabbed a stone to defend yourself with, should we be attacked! You stand there jabbering, spewing orders and demands, expecting to be tended to hand and foot. We are in the midst of war, sir, and with wounded to attend to. Since you are NOT wounded and you are NOT armed or trained to fight, you will WAIT silently until the injured are dealt with and those who ARE capable are ready to depart! Unless you have talents that make you useful besides jangling pockets!!"

Her rant done, the changeling tosses the chair to Cassander. "That should give her a crutch, see if it works." She then turns to the elf. "Yes, I am, Graham is my father."


Just to describe the location (I'll try to get pic up later):

Everyone is on one side of a large cavern. Along the "wall" you can see is collapsed mound of rocks and dirt - this is where the earth opened and you fell in. the walls turn to actual rock and where they go out of your field of vision, they are curving, suggesting this is a large circular cavern. Looking opposite the wall, there is just open space - you cannot yet see the opposite side. at the edge of vision (Cassander got closest at about 50') there is a large spider crouched on the ground, facing away from the party, further into the cavern.

Everyone is still gathered around the mound of rocks. Tasnim is seeing a silvery scale nestled between some rocks on this mound.


Just missed the one hour window:

MAP


I guess everyone's having a good busy weekend...or is waiting for Horgus to respond! ;)

The rich man draws himself up and stands as straight as he can. "I may not have any weapons on me now, young lady, but battles cannot be won with weapons and aggression alone. Soldiers march on their stomach, and I do my part to make sure our men can keep marching. We can sit around here all day, or we can get back up to the surface. If you want to spend a lot of time and resources here, it's incredibly wasteful, but go ahead. I'm no freeloader, I'll pay you all to get me up to the surface so I can continue to provide all the support Kenabres' armies need. If you choose not to accept payment, that's none of my concern." He turns and faces the darkness, his expression set and disapproving.

Sense Motive DC 12:
Horgus Gwerm's attitude has gone from unfriendly to hostile.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"And while you are demanding we march, the injured get left behind. If your conscience can live with that, may the gods have mercy on your wretched soul. But I will not leave anyone behind, not so long as they are capable of drawing breath. Meaning until they are on their feet, get comfortable."

With that she turns her back on the miserable man, putting him out of her mind for the moment, and returns to Aravashnial. "Can you walk, given a guide?"


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

Tasnim snorts at her own paranoia, dismissing the scale as unimportant. As Xion's voice reaches her ears, she sighs as she turns around and makes her way over.

"Xi, what in Desna's name are you yellin' about?" She carefully steps around the rocks as she rejoins the group.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Nothing of importance," she huffs. "We've nine survivors in total, at least here. Two are heavily wounded, and one in far too much of a hurry to leave."


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

"Can't say I'm wantin' to set up a summer villa here, either. But you're right, wounded come first." She looks around with a frown. "Wantin' to spare the blessings till we're sure it's safe, then? How heavy is heavily?"


Heal Check DC 10:
Aravashnial is still very injured. The bleeding of his open wounds has stopped as Cassander's healing helped the worst of them scab over, but he is still extremely frail. Anevia's in better relative shape than the elf, but she is obviously not nearly healed either.

Heal Check DC 15:
Aravashnial's eyes and Anevia's crushed leg will require greater magic, such as regeneration, to heal completely. Without regeneration, a fully healed Anevia might be able to make her way, albiet not at her old speed, without a crutch.

Aravashnial shifts. "I had some healing potions with me in my sack. If they didn't break during the fall, I can see if they will help me recover my sight. I can't countenance the thought that my last sight will be the Storm King striking at me with his whip," he shudders as he gropes around in the rocks. There is a blood spattered backpack a couple of feet behind him that his questing hand will eventually find.

Xion:
As you hand the makeshift crutch to Anevia, you notice a silvery looking scale half-buried under a large rock.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Eyes straining into the yawning dark, Trézsia calls back over her shoulder, answering the aged elf's question. "Yes, venerable one, I have been in battle, though not as much as I would like. Can anyone shed more light down here, or create those magical lights that move? I cannot see the creature that the angel can. If more are about, they are hidden to some of us, at least."


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

Heal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Tasnim appraises the wounded with a wince she hopes she manages to conceal. To the elf, she asks "Let me look for you."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Heal: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Xion sighs at the sight of the silver scale glittering in the half-light. Last thing I remember seeing was the fiend taking her head. It's probably gotten worse up there by now...

She plucks up the scale and tucks it in a pocket, then makes her way back toward the injured pair.


1d6 ⇒ 6

Xion:
As you pick up the scale, you are momentarily overwhelmed by a vision of Terendelev surrounded by an impenetrable fog.

3 times per day as a standard action, this scale can be activated to produce fog as the spell fog cloud.

"Ah, thank you, young lady. If one of you could be my eyes, I would be able to guide you all on our way to the surface. If you could, tell me everything about this place. No detail is too small!" Aravashnial holds out an expectant hand in the direction Tasnim's voice came at him from.

Anevia speaks up again. "I think I can move, if you give me that for a crutch," she begins. "Maybe I can help the mage by being his eyes." Only Casssander hears her muttered "So we don't waste anyone able bodied on soothing wounded pride."


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

"Ain't much t'see, really. Rocks everywhere, injured everywhere. Thought I saw something..."

Her voice trails off, and she blinks. She takes Aravashinal's hand and leads him to Anevia. "Takin' your offer, ma'am. Gotta look into something."

She darts back to where she saw the scale and picks it up. "Don' know if this'll be important, but...can always lose it later worst case." Slipping it into her pocket she rejoins the group. "Nothin' hostile I saw over there, at least."


1d6 ⇒ 3

Xion:
You see a vision of Terendelev surrounded by lightning bolts and whipping snow laden winds.

The bearer can use this scale as a standard action to cast resist elements three times per day, but only versus lightning or cold.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent stands aside as the hobbling woman moves to help the wounded elf. He takes a look around, having gone quiet during the arguing and commotion.

After a moment, he turns toward the blustery man who identified himself as Horgus Gwerm.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

"Truth and Honesty above all, in such there is clarity and great joy," he murmurs to the man, "if your coin will bring the Light of Dawn to the cause, then I will accept your offer. Give such wealth to those who would use it best...for that is not me."

The Penitent smiles, taking a look around at all the gathered faces.

"This will still be a good day, for all are here and will stay together in one cause as we once again find the Dawn."


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"I believe that finding a way to the surface is a goal of everyone here, and I want to see that everyone gets out safely. The progress may be slow. We should scout ahead and see what dangers there are and then return for the injured."

Cassander studiously ignores the nobleman's lack of class.


Horgus looks doubtfully at the Penitent, as if he's unsure what to make of him, and offers no more opinions as he watches everyone with narrowed eyes and pursed lips.

So, what is everyone doing? Is anyone attempting diplomacy rolls? Perception checks? Moving? Casting spells? Is anyone who picked up anything saying anything about it? What do you guys want to do next?

And I need to include a way to call out grid locations on the next map image. Apologies, still getting used to this! :)


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trézsia moved between the party and wherever Cassander saw the critter in the dark, just inside the range of the light, and is standing guard there between the party and the dark. She has called for more light, but nobody seems to have any (or to have heard). I'd put her position just to the left of the A1.

I snagged free Maptools and learned how to bring the maps and markers into it all so I could mark maps with the grid and coordinate system. It's well the learning curve.

Trézsia continues to try to see into the darkness, or hear any movement.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Seeing as the injured are all up and at least mobile, Xion retrieves her halberd and goes to join Trezsia at the light's edge. "I think we're all up and moving now," she offers, glancing back at the rest of the group. "If you've a torch or something else flammable I can give you more light."

She takes advantage of the current darkness to make use of her enhanced vision before she ends up lighting another flame.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trusting the newcomer to watch the darkness. Trézia unslings her pack and removes a fresh torch, setting it on the ground while she repacks and resumes her burden. She stretches the torch out towards the changeling.

"My thanks. I am Trézsia. The sooner everyone is up and moving, the sooner we can return to the battle above. My heart longs to be there, to avenge brave Terendelev, but we cannot desert the injured."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Xion. Scintillae." Another spell sets the torch blazing, expanding the range of the light around them, tapping the sword-and-wing holy symbol hanging around her neck as she casts. "You and me both," she replies. "Last I saw it looked like the whole cathedral crumbled...."


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent grins at Horgus, giving him a companionable pat on the shoulder before moving toward the two women lighting the torch.

"Zeiyeon sintilay," he murmurs in a happy tone of agreement upon seeing the expanding ring of light from the flame.

"Our path is clear!" he exclaims in a joyous tone, but then pauses in seeming confusion.

"Where is the path?"


MAP

Everyone can now see the still form of the gigantic spider in the dim light from Trezsia's torch. Please make perception checks.


Female Human Fighter 1
Cassander Astrianis wrote:
"I believe that finding a way to the surface is a goal of everyone here, and I want to see that everyone gets out safely. The progress may be slow. We should scout ahead and see what dangers there are and then return for the injured."

Vitalia has been standing near the edge of the group, lost in thought, stunned by the day's events. Cassander's comment brings her back to reality, and she moves to speak with the winged man, retrieving her dropped shield on the way.

"Your plan seems sound. I can remain here to defend these people, or even carry them if need be."

Carefully adjusting the amulet around her neck, she turns to the nobleman.

"It is in everyone's best interest to stay as together as possible. I can assure you, sir, that I will do everything in my power to keep you and the others safe, on my honor as a knight of Mendev."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Female Human Fighter 1

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

New Perception: Now with Light!: 1d20 ⇒ 14


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

I should be around F7, if possible, currently
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"We should stay together," Cassander agrees. "But there may be a need to scout ahead from time to time.

He trains his eyes upon the path ahead. Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

I rolled above [specific post click here] that hadn't been responded to yet, so I'm sticking with that roll =)


MAP

Perception DC 11:
You hear the muffled sound of something chewing, and a strange bulge in the motionless spider's abdomen is pulsing.

Tasnim, Vitalia, Cassander: Perception DC 18:
You see a large thin silvery scale between some of the rubble beneath your feet.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"... there's something eating the spider." Xion takes up her weapon again and takes a cautious step in the direction of the enormous vermin. She doesn't get too close, definitely not within grabbing range of the thing - or whatever's inside of it.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

"It seems to have eaten something that disagrees with it, indeed," Trézsia comments, "Better to have it out with... whatever... than to leave it behind us, don't you think?" She wedges the torch into some of the nearby rubble, switches weapons, and strides directly towards the beastie, clutching her greataxe with both hands.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent looks inquisitively at the corpse of the spider, then to each of the women in turn.

"I was given a bun to eat, it was very good," he says, his voice tinged with melancholy, "I wonder if she is well, if this day did not claim her."

He looks to back to the spider, his face now resolute.

As the woman with the large axe moves forward, he slips lithely into stride with her, moving toward the sounds emanating from the spider.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

"Gods only know what we shall find up above, with the wardstone broken. I hope all are ready for battle, for that we shall surely have." Trézsia nods at the Penitent.


MAP

As Tezsia strides forward, her axe ready, the Penitent half a step behind her, the spider's body writhes and three gigantic maggots burst out if its abdomen.

Initiative, please.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Map-wise, I think I'm more like in the vicinity of E7ish, correct?


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Init: 1d20 ⇒ 19


The Red Penitent wrote:
Map-wise, I think I'm more like in the vicinity of E7ish, correct?

You said you were following Trezsia, and she moved forward toward the creature. When you were about 10' away, the maggots emerged. Do you want to be 5' back?


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)
Jess Door GM wrote:
The Red Penitent wrote:
Map-wise, I think I'm more like in the vicinity of E7ish, correct?
You said you were following Trezsia, and she moved forward toward the creature. When you were about 10' away, the maggots emerged. Do you want to be 5' back?

My bad, browser must've cached your map image. When I looked at it I was still wayyyy back by Horgus, until I refreshed it a few times. All good now!


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Oh, wow, refreshing the browser did a world of good.

51 to 100 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / FAWTL Wrath of the Righteous All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.