FAWTL Wrath of the Righteous

Game Master Jess Door

Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path, run with heroically good characters, where right makes might.

Status: ...and here we...GO!


151 to 200 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Cassander flies up to the ledge, and sees the backpack is merely lying there, as if it fell from above. It comes with him easily as he pulls it off the ledge and glides to the ground.

It appears to be very well made, and is simply knotted shut.


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

Cassander attempts to undo the knot and peer inside.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent watches, his mouth slightly agape, a smile spreading across his face as the angel takes flight.

"These are blessed times," he murmurs, almost to himself.


Cassander fiddles with the knot for a second, and opens the backpack to peer inside. He find a heavy bundle of trail rations, enough for a man to eat for 10 days. He also find 2 flasks of oil, a flint and steel, a set of caltrops, a bundle of 12 arrows, and two thick glass vials heavily wrapped in pieces of leather, unbroken.

The backpack itself has complicated straps that appear to allow it to be tied across the wearer's chest. it would make carrying heavier loads than normal possible.

The backpack is a masterwork backpack. Your carrying capacity is as if you had a strenght +1 higher than normal for carrying heavy items within it.


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"These look like travel provisions," Cassander says.

Is there anything indicating who it may have belonged to?


There is no name on the bag, no paper, no symbols or heraldry. While well made, the backpack is no more than what any well supplied crusader might carry.


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"If we find who this bag belongs to, we can return it. In the meantime, if our need requires it, I think we could use the equipment. Whatever we use I shall replace if we find the owner. There are desperate times..."

Does this tunnel continue?


Cassander notices that the cavern narrows and continues on in the same general direction.


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"This route does not appear to be a dead end. Should we check the other chamber to see if it is?" Cassander asks his companions.


Jess Door GM wrote:
Cassander notices that the cavern narrows and continues on in the same general direction.

Sorry, forgot to mention: MAP.

Horgus looks nervous as all the light leaves the large chamber, and he inches forward, staying as far away from Xion as he can. Anevia also pulls Aravashnial after her into the light, casting doubtful glances back at Vitallia and Tasnim as they disappear into darkness.

Aravashnial is, unsurprisingly, undisturbed by being in total darkness. "Well? Is this the left branch? What do you see? Anything of interest? Young lady, be sure to note down what we find, we need an accurate accounting of these caverns as we move through the underground!"

Horgus is at J-12, hugging the wall. Anevia and Aravashniall are near Xion at L-9.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trézsia nods at Cassander's words and strides silently to the other branch with the torch.

Move to the N6-ish area.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent grins as Trezsia passes by, the scarred woman seemingly intent on checking the other passageway. He follows in her wake, shaking the remnants of the watery deluge from his hair.

Moving to M6


Horgus watches Trezsia and the Penitent walk toward the left passage, and scuttles nervously along the right wall of the large cavern, keeping a careful eye on Xion, to stand next to Cassander. He peers down the passage into the darkness with a shiver, then turns to Cassander as he's putting away the items found back into the backpack.

"Those vials are likely magical potions. You see, they have the mark of that strange little gnome alchemist, Dibbfi, from the Southern Market." He points at the one with a bright blue color to the liquid inside. "Usually the blue is healing, for him. The other one is an unusual color. I don't know what a mint green potion is for." As he speaks, he visibly relaxes while he talks about more familiar things.

Anevia leads Aravashnial to follow Trezsia and the Penitent at a little distance, obviously trying to stay in the light.

"What? What's this? I must have gotten turned around. We seem to be going left. Did we try the right passage first? This is very unorganized. We should follow a clearly defined and consistent pattern, so we don't get lost!" Aravashnial seems frustrated as Anevia leads him behind Trezsia.

MAP


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"We found some supplies. Best to investigate them first before moving on," Xion explains. And best to keep the explanations simple.

She waves back to Vitalia and Tasnim, beckoning them along with the group so they don't get too separated.


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

Tasnim hurries after the group, nudging Vitalia to follow her. Figures I blink for a minute, and everyone's gone...

Moving to K9


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"I do not know if anyone here is adept at identifying potions," Cassander says to Horgus. He follows the rest of the group.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trézsia peers down the corridor for a moment, then nearly runs into the Penitent when she suddenly decides to return to the group. "Woops. You're a quiet one. Sometimes." She slips past him, returning to the group at the fork in the corridor.

"Both the left and right paths seem to continue with no sign of hostile forces that we can see yet. We have recovered a pack of supplies. Angel, was there any passage to the surface above the ledge where you recovered the pack?" She reiterates the findings in a calm, level voice, hoping to reassure the blind and fearful.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Xion suddenly starts, the fuss about the pack reminding her of something else. She digs around in her pocket until she comes up with the silver scale she'd found in the rubble. "Forgot to mention, found this as well. I think it's from the dragon. And I know it's magical."

She holds the scale in one hand and murmurs, "Ostende mihi Magia," and her eyes glow with a slight golden light as she examines the aura on the object. "When I picked it up, it put a sort of vision in my head - the dragon we saw above, surrounded by fog."

Casting detect magic and looking at the aura. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


NPC: Vitalia moves in closer to the rest of the group, staying within the concentrated circle of light as everyone gathers once more.

Horgus follows Cassander as he also rejoins the group, making sure to keep Cassander between him and Xion.

MAP

Xion casts a spell and stares at the silver scale in her hand.

Xion:
As you stare at the item, you are nearly blinded by the strength of its aura. You've only ever seen magical auras of this magnitude on people such as Lord Hulrun or other very important and powerful people in Kenabres. You suspect only direct divine intervention or mythical artifacts could be more powerful. You are unable to determine the school of magic it exhudes, maybe because the magic itself is so powerful.

The scale radiates a strong aura.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent laughs jovially at Trezsia's comment.

"Silence is golden!" he booms out, his voice rich with mirth.

Looking to Xion, he adds, "And silver, as well!"

Nevertheless, his posture is still angled toward the unexplored passageway, his hands balling into fists and relaxing, over and over.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Xion immediately cancels the spell, wincing and closing her eyes. "REALLY magical. Ow. Ow ow."


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

"Oh, you found one, too, Xi? Weird." Tasnim thinks a moment, tapping her chin with the point of her sword. "Think there might be more?"


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

"My name is Cassander and I am not an angel," Cassander says to Trezsia. "There is a shaft perhaps a foot wide leading up into the darkness. I do now know whether it reaches the surface."

As Xion inspects the scale, Cassander asks, "Do you have skill at identifying potions? There were some in that pack."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"I can take a look, certainly," she replies, re-pocketing the silver scale before recasting the spell, not wanting to risk catching sight of the aura again. "Ostende mihi Magia. Let me see them."

Spellcraft
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Sovereign Court

Female Human Level 4 Bard

Xion:
Both of these items are magical, but you aren't able to determine their exact function. You notice your cousin has a glow out of the corner of your eye, and try to avoid being blinded by another unprepared look at that strength aura.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

She scrubs at her eyes and cancels the spell. "Gh. Not right now, apparently. Shouldn't have looked at that scale so closely. Maybe after my head clears a little I can try again later."


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

Cassander nods in understanding. "We will hold onto them then." He follows the others as they investigate the next part of the cavern.


So, what is the party doing? Cassander is evidently ready to move on. Tasnim mentioned looking for more scales. Anyone else have anything they want to do? Or a preference among those two?


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trézsia nods at Tasnim's words. "Indeed, that is an excellent question. If these scales are gifts of the great defender, we should leave none of them behind. Can those gifted with magical sight look around the cavern? If they are that strong, they should be easily spotted."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Sure," Xion says, though her voice is strained and she still is massaging her forehead after the full blast of examining a scale at close range. She reactivates the spell and sweeps the cavern slowly from side to side, looking for the obvious reaction from the highly-concentrated magic of more potential scales amidst the rubble.


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

"I can help you out as well." Tasnim narrows her eyes and raises a hand. "Monstrate."

Detect magic


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent cocks his head curiously, the motion oddly reminiscent of a canine. Watching the two women in their search, he nods, murmuring "mohnstraight" over and over as he peers around in the dim light, trying to help.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

After a moment, he pauses.

"What are we searching for, apart from truth?"


Tasnim and Xion immediately detect four more strong auras among the rubble on the far side of the cavern, and while some are underneath the rubble, they are easy enough to find and pick up for anyone detecting magic.

Penitent:
The darkness is too deep for you to see much where Xion and Tasnim detect the scales' aura, unless a light source heads in that direction.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

"A gift, I think," Trézsia responds to the Penitent, "Aid in the fight."


Male Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric 1 {HP 5/10}

Cassander looks as well. "What do we know about them?" he asks.

Also casting detect magic.


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Mine creates clouds of fog," Xion replies. She starts making her way over where she saw glimmers, careful not to look at any of the shards too directly for fear of another migraine. "Don't know if Tas's does anything different. A useful resource regardless, potentially - and if they did indeed come from the dragon who died trying to protect us, a memoir to her sacrifice."


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent smiles, nodding.

"Gifts, I understand," he murmurs, still peering around, though with the gloomy surroundings it's unclear how he could possibly see anything.

Nevertheless, his enthusiasm seems undiminished as he continues, "A gift such as a warm bun, or a candle."

Still mumbling to himself, his face creased in a wide smile, he begins to move off down the unexplored passageway, fading into the growing darkness with each step.

Moving to O6


As Xion, Tasnim and Cassander move over toward the rubble where they see the magical auras, the Penitent, able to see as Cassander lights the way, spots one of the shining silver scales twinkling and picks it up.

Spoiler:
3d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 1) = 3

Cassander:
Cassander, as you pick up one silver scale, you see Terendelev running across clouds in mid air as if she were standing on solid ground. The city of Kenabres looks like an intricate miniature model, the western Sellen River a ribbon of reflected sunlight far below.

Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast levitate. A pillar of roiling clouds rises below the levidtating object or creature, rowing and shrinking iwht the target's altitude. This pillar is 5 feet in diameter (regardless of the target's size) and provides concealment (20% miss chance) to any creature or object wholly contained within.

Penitent:
As the Penitent's hand closes around the shining scale between pieces of rubble, he sees a vision of Terendelev shrinking down into the form of the old Tian woman who led Xion and Tasnim to their waiting family.

Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast alter self. While disguised, the target gains a +4 bonus on all Bluff checks made against evil creatures.

Tasnim:
Tasnim is braced for the vision of Terendelev that engulfs her as she picks up a second scale. She sees Terendelev tearing into a horrific demon with her claws and teeth. As they touch the evil fiend, he shrieks in pain, and it seems as if smoke pours from the wounds left from Terendelev's attack.

Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast align weapon, but only to make a weapon lawful or good. Unlike a normal align weapon spell, this effect can be cast on an unarmed strike or a natural weapon.

As the vision fades, Tasnim notices that new scale she just picked up, and the one she'd earlier put in her pocket both begin emanating a feeling of col, that somehow feels disapproving. The auras dim for a moment, and she gets the feeling that neither will operate as the visions tell her while she holds two.

Xion:
Xion picks up the last scale, nestled in a niche between some large and somewhat precariously balanced rocks. As her fingers grab it, she sees a vision of Terendelev landing heavily in a large battleground, well behind enemy lines. As the demons reel back from her ponderous landing, ice crystals form on their faces and hands, and some of them shatter into icy fragments as they try to attack her.

Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast generate a cold aura, as the spell frost fall. The aura emanates from one of the corners of the user's square, and the user is himself immune to the aura. All other creatures in the area of effect must make a Fortitude save, DC 17. This effect lasts for 9 rounds.

As the vision fades, Xion notices that new scale she just picked up, and the one she'd earlier picked up both begin emanating a feeling of cold that somehow feels disapproving. The auras dim for a moment, and she gets the feeling that neither will operate as the visions tell her while she holds two.

Ah, the Penitent posted while I was typing. Do you object to picking up a scale?


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

Pausing, the Penitent cocks his head as Cassander's light shifts, illuminating the further corners of the room.

A few lithe steps through the rubble take him toward a glint amidst the destruction.

"Gifts?" he murmurs, leaning down, reaching for something buried in the rocks.

Straightening up, he smiles, holding a scale similar to the ones already possessed by the others.

"Gifts," he confirms, still smiling, though the expression holds a tinge of melancholy as he looks at the scale in his hand.

Still looking at the scale, he once again proceeds down the unexplored hallway, mumbling something unintelligble.


Female Half-orc Inquisitor 1 (HP 11/11) (AC15/11T/14FF)

Tasnim holds up her two scales. "Well, the one I grabbed earlier fends off cold and lightning. And this one I just picked up seems like it'll help tear into demons pretty good. Thinkin' I'm liking the first better, what a shock." The dark cavern hides her doofy grin.

She shakes her head as she steps back into the light. "Don't seem to like each other much. Sort of a weird icy feedback when they get too close."


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

"Here's another," she announces. "Seems like this one has some kind of ice spell in it. An aura effect of cold and frost."

She then reels and stumbles a little, then shakes her head dizzily. "... yeah, same here. Think you can only carry one at a time. They neutralize one another or something." She heads back toward the rest of the group, scales in hand. "Best perhaps to divide them up among the combat-capable, maybe. I get the impression they want to be used... if it makes sense for an inanimate object to have active desires, anyway."


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

"Using them for the fight properly honors the giver," Trézsia chimes in, "I would be proud to bear one, in her memory."

As the Penitent meanders off, she calls after, "Hey! Wait! Take a light. I have more torches, though it may be best to spare them. We do not know when we will escape."

She hurries after the wandering preacher, taking her torch.


The Penitent and Trezsia move forward. (NPC)Vitalia stays with the injured, ready to defend them. As the Penitent and Trezsia peer into the cavern ahead of them, they notice the smaller cavern appears to have once served as a campsite or temporary lair. A torn bedroll lies next to the cold remains of a fire. A pile of bones, broken equipment and rubble lies just past the campsite, disappearing into the darkness of the cavern.

DM Notes:
1d100 ⇒ 681d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 281d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Perception checks for: Trezsia, Vitalia, the Penitent, please.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 14


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


The fire appears to have been out for some time - the fireplace looks to be relatively fresh, but you detect no trace of heat or light from it.


Female Human (Ustalav) Paladin 1 {Init +0 Perception +0}
HP:
HP 12/13

Trézsia approaches the pile of bones and looks through them, trying to ascertain what sorts of creatures might have made them.

Just taking a general look. Do these look like chicken-sized bones, halfling-human sized bones, or mammoth bones?


Female Changeling Oracle 1 [HP: 7/9] [AC: 17 | T: 11 | FF: 16] [SR: 7]

Scales in pockets, Xion follows the crowd. When they get to a reasonable stopping point perhaps they can decide how best to divide up the individual trinkets.


Male Human (Kellid) Monk 1 [ HP: 14/14 | AC:15 | T:14 | FF:14 ] (Grappled - AC:13, T:12, FF:13)

The Penitent stands near Trézsia as she inspects the pile of bones.

"A bounty of riches," he says, "We are blessed to find such abundance in our time of need."

He looks around the remains of the makeshift lair, his face creased by a warm smile.


As Trezsia and the Penitent approach the pile of bones to inspect it, Trezsia gets the impression that the bones are small, the size you would expect for small creatures like rats or lizards. They are both startled by sudden flashes of movement in the pile, as gigantic mandibles reach out to attack the paladin from underneath the refuse.

Spoiler:
1d3 ⇒ 3


Giant Cockroach 1 attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Giant Cockroach 2 attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3

The gigantic roaches that attack are the size of a dog. Most anyone else, caught by surprise by these creatures' attacks, would have been hurt, but Trezsia's amazing armor stops both blows, though only barely. They have lurid purple swirls on their wings and somehow seem to be acting less out of raw instinct than you would expect.

Initiative, please.

Giant Cockroach 1 initiative: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Giant Cockroach 2 initiative: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Working on map...

151 to 200 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / FAWTL Wrath of the Righteous All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.