#5-08: The Confirmation [Tier 1-2] (Core) - GM Rutseg (Inactive)

Game Master Balacertar

Chronicles

Current map


1 to 50 of 244 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The invitation delivered last night was remarkably simple, especially given the importance of the occasion: “Start where it all began. Meet us at the Pig’s Paunch one hour before dawn.

The Pig’s Paunch is a run-down building with a faded sign of a large pig standing on its hind legs, arms folded above a corpulent belly. Inside, the air is thick with the scents of human sweat, stale tobacco, and leftover food. In the center of the room, surrounded by inebriates sleeping off their revelries, a familiar elven man stands high upon top of a large round table.

Welcome! Welcome, my students! Please, have a seat!” With that, Kreighton Shaine, the Pathfinder Society’s Master of Scrolls, nimbly drops down to sit cross-legged on the table before looking about the tavern with a sense of reverent wonder. “Can you believe it? It all started here years ago—well, over four hundred of them at least. Under this very roof the Pathfinder Society was born."

But today! Today you will begin your Confirmation! Master Farabellus, Master Zey, and I all agree you each have shown your worth and dedication to the Society, so there’s no better time to see if you can handle becoming full field operatives. Allow me to introduce you to Janira Gavix,” he says as he motions for an excitable halfling woman to approach. She wears a large backpack and carries all manner of tools, pouches, and scroll cases around her waist. Shaine continues, saying, “Janira here will be going with you on your Confirmation. She was one of my brightest pupils and will no doubt be an invaluable resource on your journey, for she discovered the caves you are about to explore during her own Confirmation.Janira speaks up in an enthusiastic and cheerful voice, “Greetings, aspiring Pathfinders! Six months ago, while I was mapping cave entrances in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts, I witnessed a lone gillman entering a concealed cave. I thought little of it at the time, but I saw another one enter the cave again a month later as my Confirmation stretched on. A few days later, after I completed my assigned task, I entered the cave system, but was unable to find the gillmen.” Master Shaine hops to his feet. “Initiates, for your Confirmation, you will travel to these caves to explore and document its many passages. Additionally, and most importantly, you are to learn what the gillmen are up to in there. Oh, and you need to come back alive as well.

With these parting words, the Master of Scrolls jumps off the table and strolls out of the building while humming to himself.

As the Master leaves Janira turns to you "Master Shaine is brilliant, if not entirely focused. He has lived a very long time and seen things we could only dream about. I’ve learned to just accept his peculiarities and value any knowledge he wishes to share.” she makes a pause and then adds "So, is there any further question? If the mission briefing is clear and no further questions, we can proceed in our trip"

No need to present yourselves, it is assumed you know each other from previous training. You should better explain your character in the discussion instead.
Here you can place a brief introduction to the scenario, reactions to the presentation, interactions with other players or Janira, and any question about what are you required to do, as well as other doubts.
You can perform K. History and K. Geography rolls.
Let me know when you are ready to go, and have fun ;)

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"Ooooo, gill men? I've never even heard of a gillman before! I hope they'll be friendly. Does anyone know how long the trip will be? I've never even heard of the Kortos Mountains. Janira, it is a pleasure to meet you, I'm Doodlevain, but my friends call me Doodle. You can call me Doodle too," the small female gnome says in one long breath, as she reaches forward and shakes the halfling's hand.

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak nods and gives a brief salute.

After pondering for a moment "Gillmen... tell me more."

Scarab Sages

'The Grandidierite Sage' Male Half-Elf Sorceror 9 (HP 74/74) (AC 16/10/16) (CMD 12) (Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8) (Init +6) (Perception +22)

A heavily-muscled half-elf, dressed in loose robes, with a morningstar at his side, nods thoughtfully.

"Right. So, we are going to these caves to make notes about the passages, politely ask the Gillmen what they are doing there, and to come back alive. Seems straight-forward enough."

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"Gillmen sure sound neat, don't they? Have either of you two met one before? Can he breathe underwater? I hope we do find one to talk to...I've got all kinds of questions to ask him!"

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

"A gillman, you say? I've only met one gillman in my travels... an odd creature called Billy. I certainly look forward to seeing another and learning more of their kind."

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

History: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Geography: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

"What information can you tell us about the area and its history, Janira?"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Bazim:

You know the following:

Also known as the Low Azlanti, the gillmen are an amphibious humanoid race believed to be the last descendants of the ancient Azlanti people.

During Earthfall, the Starstone struck Golarion and destroyed the human empires of Thassilon and Azlant. It is said that gillmen’s ancestors survived the cataclysmic event because they received the blessing of an aquatic entity that allowed them to breath underwater.

At the center of the Isle of Kortos stand the Kortos Mounts, the points on the island.

Entire tribes of centaurs, harpies, and minotaurs constantly vie for territory up and around the Mounts, with harpies being the most common at higher altitudes and centaurs controlling the lower slopes and foothills.

"What’s a gillman? The gillmen are a humanoid race much like humans save for the three piscine gills on both sides of their necks. They’re a little secretive but not outright hostile. Most live in or near the water.” explains Janira before turning towards Bazim and pulling out a large leather-bound journal and opens it on the table.

Before we set out, we should all get to know each other and review our plan. After all, the most important factors that determine whether an expedition will be a success are cooperation and preparation! I’ll go first!

On to the details of the mission at hand,” Janira says with an eager grin. “After reviewing my mission reports personally, Master Shaine believes it is no coincidence that each time they entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full again. We both believe that tomorrow night is our best chance to find out why these caves are important and what exactly the gillmen are doing in there."

The caves we’ll be travelling to lie under the base of the Kortos Mounts. We’ll need to spend every minute of daylight possible to reach the caves by foot, crossing over the Cairnlands, taking the paths to Diobel, and finally making our way through the wilderness. With any luck we won’t run into any of the local inhabitants. Once in the caves, we’ll need to work together to explore and determine whether any gillman are present or have been recently. Keep an eye out for any other clues that might hint at the caves’ significance, too.” the halfling makes a pause looking at the Sun coming in through the windows.

"And so, any further question now that you have a better insight of what will we find?" she smiles at all of you.

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak listens attentively as Janira explains the mission.

"Are their any dangerous monsters you noted in other nearby caves we should be aware of?"

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"Yeah, what sort of local dangers might we expect? Have you encountered monsters there when you have visited before? And gillmen are encountered only on full moons? Do you think they might be weregillmen? Should we bring garlic?"

Scarab Sages

'The Grandidierite Sage' Male Half-Elf Sorceror 9 (HP 74/74) (AC 16/10/16) (CMD 12) (Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8) (Init +6) (Perception +22)

Numair looks puzzled.

"If we need to hurry to make it there by tomorrow night, why didn't we leave yesterday, so that we could take a more leisurely pace?"


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Centaurs control the lowlands and surrounding wilderness of the Kortos Mounts. The areas farther up the Mounts are controlled by minotaurs, and the icy peaks are home to tribes of harpies. They’re always vying for territory, but with any luck, we should be able to avoid them and reach the caves without conflict.” answers Janira.

After thinking she adds “There’s always the chance we may run into bandits along the way, and there are dozens of kinds of predators in that forest"

Nervous about the weregillmen she explains “I know what you’re thinking, but I have no reason to believe the gillmen activity has anything to do with lycanthropy.

She shrugs at Numair's question "Bosses"

The Exchange

Male Human Cleric 3
Stats:
HP:39/39 [AC:18(12), T:12; F:16(18)] [F:6, R:3, W:6] [Perception +2, Init +9]

Lionel leans back on the chair, grabbing his flagon in a hand covered with many golden rings and taking a sip. Reaching into his pouch, he knocks it over, a pair of manacles falling on the floor. "Heh. Sorry about that." Putting them hastily back in, he takes a small leather pouch, and rolls himself a large cigarette. Lighting it up with the nearest candle, he lets out a massive pungent cloud of smoke, before taking another sip and beginning to speak.

"What's happenin' now?", he says in an accent familiar to those who hail from Absalom as someone who grew up in the Precipice. "Nice ta see ya again, Eve! And you two, Nummer! Ya two keepin' in trouble?", he says, grinning to the two familiar faces. "To tha rest, ma name's Lionel, and Imma follower of tha Sting. I think I've been in the Society for a tad bit longa than most a you's, but I'm no gonna boss ya around. Tha's her play.", he says, pointing towards the needlessly obvious silvered amulet of Calistria, and then towards Eveline. "Is gonna be damn good ta work with ya, Imma guess."

Taking another draw, making sure to blow the smoke away from the table, after seeing the look given to him by Eveline There is probably a look. If there isn't, dopplegangers are about., he continues. "Imma gonna ask if we can get a ride to get there, but imma also gonna assume tha boss folks need some sneakiness from us common folk, so I'm jus gonna let it slide." Setting his flagon on the table, he then looks at the well-dressed Keleshite, and says, "Hey there, brotha! I like yo threads! Wha's yo name?", smiling encouragingly to the man to talk.

Scarab Sages

'The Grandidierite Sage' Male Half-Elf Sorceror 9 (HP 74/74) (AC 16/10/16) (CMD 12) (Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8) (Init +6) (Perception +22)

To Janira:

Numair sighs, and nods his understanding.

"I have heard of many occasions when Drandle Dreng has sent some poor Page to wake-up the first rag-tag bunch of Agents that he could find in the middle of the night, to send on an 'urgent' quest that took weeks to get to via conventional means..."

To Lionel:

Numair grins when he sees Lionel enter the room.

"'Tis good to see you again as well, Lionel. Managed to drink any of the local pubs dry, yet?"

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

To Lionel:

"Thank you my friend. I am Bazim, a performer of reenactments and oratories of old. I have been told that my rousing performances could provide a backbone to even the most cowardly creature. I wonder if I will not one day be reciting the tale of this party.

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

Eveline eyes Janira and Doodle with intrigue; she had not expected to meet other females of small races besides herself. She's glad, in a way, that she's not the only one. Though immediately she notes Doodle is just like every other gnome she has met; erratic, overly talkative, and possessing a peculiar train of thought. Eveline lets out a sigh—something she seems to do a lot—and holds her cape and hood tightly to keep her face and frame hidden from the public. She waves meekly to Numair and Lionel, and is all the more surprised as Lionel points her as the leader. You've got to be kidding me, she thinks to herself, and takes a glance at Lionel to message her thoughts to him.

"And how about weather, Janira?" Eveline asks from the background, "are the caves high up the mountains? Wondering if we'll get lightheaded in thin air. I'm guessing we have time to prepare, or, well, some of us need that."

Eveline turns to the new folk, hoping Lionel will let her alone (quite positive he won't) and to meet other colleagues. "Hi, I'm Eveline Bleakrock. I'm a ranger, so wilderness and the solitude of nature is close at heart. We should be able to avoid unnecessary dangers and hazards. If you want to know more about me, ask." She doesn't even break a smile.

Where's Reed? He applied to join but hasn't put a single message on the discussion thread. Maybe I'll PM him.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Ranger 2 HP 20/20 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +6, W +1 (+2 on Fear vs Humans)| Init +5| Perc +6

Reed's eyes popped open, and he looked around guiltily. He had apparently been pretty exhausted and nodded off against the wall. He smiles shyly at Eveline, then Janira, having really not heard anything except the very last excerpt of their conversation. He shrugs...they could be going to Hell, for all he knew, but he would go anyway.

He steps away from the wall, smiling at all the familiar faces. "Reed Hofstatler, for those who don't know me. Well met."

The Exchange

Male Human Cleric 3
Stats:
HP:39/39 [AC:18(12), T:12; F:16(18)] [F:6, R:3, W:6] [Perception +2, Init +9]

Turning his gaze to the tall half-elf, Lionel returns, "Imma not really a drinka, Nummer! Had a fiine night yesterday, though, me and some boys from the old days got serious bashed and went ta paint some statues purple. Good think we can still outrun tha 'stabulary, after all the good meals an' all." He grins widely at the sorcerer, his eyes up at the ceiling in reminiscence. "Ya ain't gotta get caught these days, bein' a respectabal man o' tha cloth'n all."

Nicely done, Reed.

Lionel laughs at the ranger rubbing his eyes and gives him a pat on the back. "We was jus talkin' 'bout ya, brotha! How ya an' Eve gonna shoe us big town folk how ta survive in tha mountains."

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

"Huh, didn't notice you there, Reed," Eveline says as the ranger joins the group, and then the halfling woman finally breaks a slight smile, albeit a brief one. She listens to Lionel's story and chuckles ever so slightly. "Had to drink out that cold off of you? I prefer a hot bath."

Her chuckle turns serious in an instant, and she points her finger at Lionel as if to scold. "No, Lionel. No."

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak nods at the various bits of conversation, not really listening to the various bits of stories.

Perhaps I will need to be less formal if I wish earn the Society's help with Tar-Baphon.

"If the society has waited until now to inform us of this journey, surely there must still be time for a drink. A Drink, before we set off."

Syrak will go up to the bar and order a round of stouts for the group and bring them back.

"Let us drink and discuss, for soon we set out into danger."

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

"I believe I'll have a pint."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Janira grins as the drinks are requested, she licks her lips with anticipation as the beer arrives "Ah! Nothing as a good beer to start an epic mission as this one. Great idea, and thanks Syrak for taking the initiative"

As the atmosphere cheers up the party Janira starts making some arrangements "Now, before we head out, if there aren’t any more questions, we should take a moment to go through your gear and make sure nothing important gets left out.

The halfling briefly looks at your adventuring gear "We should bring things like rope, a light source, food, a way to make fire, any sources of healing, and other essentials. Additionally, I suggest to carry a few other handy items like alchemist’s fire, antitoxins, and the like so long as you have the gold to spare."

"Who is carrying what?" she states looking one by one all of you.

"And well, I cannot stress more the importance of keeping accurate records of your adventures. I can pass out writing supplies and paper to anyone who doesn’t have it already."

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"I've got plenty of stuff! Other than clothes, a backpack and food and water, I've got an Ink vial, a pen, and Parchment to keep good records on. I have a Small Steel Mirror, since you never know when it might be useful for signaling someone or checking to be sure I'm not all nasty! My other goodies include a few Caltrops, a vial of antitoxin, a bottle of Alchemist's Fire, two pints of Acid, and one Holy Water. I hope I'm ready!"

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak thinks for a moment and then recites his backpack contents from memory while holding his hands tightly together in his lap.

"Left and right outside upper pockets, Alchemist's Fire.
Main compartment, Book & 15 meters of Rope.
Lower right pocket, Assorted Chalk.
Lower left pocket, Mirror.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Ranger 2 HP 20/20 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +6, W +1 (+2 on Fear vs Humans)| Init +5| Perc +6

Reed grins at Eve and Lionel, then gives Numair a slightly more reserved smile, as he had traveled with him before. A respectful nod is given to those he doesn't know before he turns his attention to Janira, looking thoughtful as she goes over the essentials. He looks a bit chagrined as she mentions writing supplies.

He had joined the Pathfinder Society as a sense of adventure, and of exploring the world. He frequently forgot that one of the main duties of a Pathfinder was to chronicle their exploits for the benefit of the Society and all goodly people. He sheepishly extends his hand. "I would like some writing supplies, if you have any.

He scratches his head through his shaggy brown hair, shrugging at Lionel and Eve and turning a bit red, embarrassed.

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

Eveline politely refuses the beer, preferring to stay sober and keep her senses sharp.

"Never been sent out to the wilderness before, so I don't have any rations on my person. Though I trust the isle is teeming with wild hunt and nutritious fruit, so food shouldn't be a problem. Healing, though, I need to get myself one of those wands everyone talks about."

She then picks up her backpack and starts to catalogue through its contents. "Hm, nearly everything required here. Firewood is too heavy for me, though. And someone should bring a tent." She takes a meaningful look at Reed.

Once the conversation is over (no rush), Eveline will head out and gather supplies detailed under the spoiler.

Purchases:

Wand of cure light wounds (2 PP)
2x Alchemist's fire (40 gp)
1x Antitoxin (50 gp)
= 90 gp + 2 PP

The Exchange

Male Human Cleric 3
Stats:
HP:39/39 [AC:18(12), T:12; F:16(18)] [F:6, R:3, W:6] [Perception +2, Init +9]

I've got a wand of CLW, if you want to re-consider the purchase. I'll track the uses, since I used it in the last Scenario.

"Don't worry 'bout it, brotha!", Lionel says to Reed as he mentions the writing supplies. "The venture captins always say somethin' ta me 'bout garmatical errors an' stuff in mine, but they take 'em.", patting the ranger on the shoulder.

Lionel continues sipping from his drink, as he enjoys the ambience in the bar. "Hah! I think Reed here was a lumberjack, so I wouldn't worry 'bout no firewood. I gonna get two tents. One's gonna be for tha ladies, since we're gentlemen an' all. I promise, I don' snore!", he says, grinning at the rest. He then walks over to the bar and picks up another flagon.

GM, I saw the tents as a purchase, but they're in Ultimate Equipment. With permission, I'll purchase a Large Tent, which can fit 4 Meduim sized people, and the small ladies can fit in a medium one with half a place to spare. Total would be 40gp, and I'll get 1 vial of Antitoxin as well.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Janira smiles at Lionel "Well, I guess every Pathfinder has his strengths. You can surely take some lessons and read more to strengthen your writing. I am sure your Venture Captain will surely appreciate it"

She looks for some papers and hands them to Reed "Do not be ashamed. This mission is all about learning how to be a good chronicler. We mainly have to draw a map of the caves and document any finding"

"Well, if everything is clear, we can start walking out of the city" Janira gives you a last opportunity to ask questions and then steps out of the tavern. Leading you through Abaslom streets she takes you were Eveline and the others can buy the remaining gear.

"A rope, yes a rope, some food and some alchemical products. Never forget all that" she waits patiently while talking with you "I joined the Pathfinder Society nearly 4 years ago after coming of age. I can hardly believe how fast time passes"

"Let me know when are you ready to leave Abaslom." she says while crossing her arms in front of the supplies shop.

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

I figured Eveline needs her own wand. Besides, in case Lionel falls, Eveline is able to use the wand.

"Four years, huh. Alestair, my brother, joined almost 7 years ago, but was lost after half a year's of service," Eveline says with a slight frown, "though he was a douche, he was my brother. I hope the Society has learned to tutor its agents better now."

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

I am afraid I don't have much I can purchase that is likely to help us. It looks like most of the mundane stuff is already taken care of, and this is the first adventure for this character.

"I do believe that I am ready to leave. I shall wait on everyone else to supply."

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

Doodle nods her head vigorously. "I think I'm ready! I've bought a ton of things...other than rope, and I might be able to borrow some rope from one of you if needed. I'm about out of money, unfortunately, so buying some right now would be a problem. But don't worry, I'll make sure that I keep really good notes for us about our journey!"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Ranger 2 HP 20/20 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +6, W +1 (+2 on Fear vs Humans)| Init +5| Perc +6

The ranger shrugs, "I believe I'm ready. Let's get out there and see what is to be seen!" Reed slings his pack over his shoulder, getting ready to head out.

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

"So, uuh, I know what Lionel, Reed, and Numair do in battle—those muscular mutants—but I haven't the slightest idea what you do. Bazim, Syrak, and Doodle, right?"

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak stands up and points to his glaive.
"I am a knight of Lastwall, you may trust in both my strength or arms and will against any evil that may approach us."

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

"Lastwall, haven't anyone from there before, well met then," Eveline replies, and is significantly more at ease learning the group has a dedicated protector of good within their ranks.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

As the party finishes the shopping, Janira starts moving you through Absalom, leads you across the Cairnlands.

The journey through the City at the Center of the World is swift and without incident, and the long trek across the Cairnlands provides a great opportunity to discuss Master Shane’s class on the history of Absalom.

"In my case, I usually take more of a support role during combat." explains Janira at Eveline's question while you walk through the streets "Although I trained most with Kreighton Shaine, I also learned the arts of the whip, blade, and crossbow from Marcos Farabellus and a few spellcasting tricks from Aram Zey. They are a role model to follow." she smiles then and looks at you with caring eyes "In fact, I try to be a good educator myself and love inspiring others through motivational lectures and speeches, always taking care that my instincts as an older sister don’t come across as condescendingly protective"

Most of the journey is uneventful, but Janira points out landmarks such as siege towers, distant mountains, or distinct flora and fauna along the journey "Look there, the Fallen Tower. A group of adventurers that recently joined the Society cleaned the tower and found a lost statue" she winks her eye to Lionel.

At the end of the day you set a campfire and prepare to rest, "A good opportunity to rest and prepare new spells before entering dangerous territory" reminds Janira to the party casters.

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

Eveline is unsure about Janira, and during the whole trip she somewhat reluctantly listens to her. Although both are female and the same species, they both feel to be from different worlds. Eveline resorts to just nod whenever Janira tells the team something about Absalom and its surroundings.

Once at a campsite Eveline almost immediately sets off to check the ground for marks left by wildlife or others, as well as to hunt or gather food for the evening.

Take 10 Survival = 15


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Eveline checks the surroundings and return to the party to say the place seems safe.

Janira nods in acceptance and organizes you to set a fire and the tents to properly rest.

There, along the campfire the halfling looks at you, "Well, and what are your histories?" she waits a bit then starts explaining her own history "At 24 year old, I am the only one of my siblings to have come of age so far. I grew up in Eastgate, where her father still works as a porter who employs a dog cart to transport purchased goods from ships and shops to the homes of customers. After initially joining the Society to see the world and sample all of the fine food it had to offer, I quickly took to the Scrolls and its focus on learning and preserving knowledge. I now aspires to have my work published in one of the Pathfinder Chronicles, suspecting that would qualify myself to train as a Pathfinder Chronicler."

After her introduction she looks at Syrak "So, you are from Lastwall. Why did you became a knight there?"

And then she looks to others of you "What about the others. Where are you from, why did you join the Society?"

So, the Confirmation, basically enforces new players to reflect about the origins and background of their characters, and here now, you have a good opportunity to come along with something. Discuss among you and enjoy the RP moment ;)

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"I'm from Oppara in Taldor! I've always heard about the Society, and I love to do fun adventuring things! I'm trying to find out more about my heritage, because I can do things like this," she smiles, as she holds out her hands, and concentrates for a second and tiny claws poke out of her fingers, sharp as knives.

Grand Lodge

Human (Keleshite)

Bazim ponders for a moment. A good story should require thought and preparation, so that the audience receives the full benefit.

”I was born in the deserts of Casmaron, the son of a caravan drover. My father was a hard but caring man who often took my brother and I along on his trading journeys. On one such journey to Absalom, I became separated from my family. Lost and desperate for food, I wandered into a public house. I was a boy at the time, probably no more than 8 years.
“I was astonished by what I saw. A man in brightly colored clothing stood atop a dais, reciting lines with such passion and precision that I was immediately awestruck. After his performance, the man approached me, as he had seen me watching unattended. When I told him that I had been separated from my family, he showed the good will of taking me in for the night.
“The next morning, we searched for my family and learned that they had left the city, fearing me dead at the hands of some thug. As my father’s next trip to Absalom was some time off, and I was far too young to roam the streets and deserts alone, Master Adriu as he was called, took me in as a permanent boarded.
“Over the next several years, I trained in the arts of the bard under a true master and awaited the return of my family. To this day, I have not seen my father or brother return to Absalom. Perhaps the pain of my believed death is too much for them to bear.
“I joined the society because every good bard needs a muse. The adventure, the hunt, the combat… these are the things that rouse men’s curiosity and inspire greatness in us all. What better way to document such acts that to stand should to shoulder with those who accomplish them.
“I also hope that my travels as a Pathfinder will one day take me back to the deserts of Casmaron so that I can reunite with my family. My father is likely an old man at this point, having sired me late in his age. I can only hope that he lives still.”

With a look of weariness not often seen on a bard, Bazim settles back to listen to the others.

Silver Crusade

Paladin 3, Sorcerer 2, DD 1 HP 42/57 | AC 20 T 13 FF 18 | F +9 R +6 W +10 | Init +4 | Perception +9* | 10ft Courage Aura
Resources:
LoH 4/4, Smite 0/1, Claws 5/6, Spells L1: 3/5

Syrak explains "It is my duty, as a member of the Divinion family to serve Lastwall. While the forces of good there sorely miss any blade in their battle against the forces of evil that would awaken Tar-Baphon, a beacon alone, no matter how bright can only burn for so long."

Syrak will take off his helmet and continue.
"It is no secret, our numbers slowly dwindle year after year and it is clear that without help we will one day fail. We have heard of the society's good deeds towards Mendev and seek a similar alliance. My membership in the Society is one of the first steps towards what will hopefully be a glorious partnership."

Scarab Sages

Female Halfling Ranger 2/Paladin 1 | HP 25/25 | CMD 17 | AC 19, t 15, ff 15 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +5 (+2 vs. fear) | Init +9, Perc +9 | MP: 9/9 | Wand Charges used: 0

Eveline looks at Doodlevain with an amazed expression. "You're from Oppara as well?" she begins to ask in disbelief. She quickly shakes her head. "I, too, am from Oppara, but where I come from and how I ended up here are... undisclosed topics." Eveline turns her head sideways, leans back against her backpack, and tries to hide her slight blush when she folds her arms. "Let's just say my family had chosen me a career I loathe, so I sought better opportunities. Alone."

Eveline nods approvingly to Syrak's cause, and then turns to Bazim. "Born in the deserts to a caravan drover, yet you were off to trade in Absalom? Something off here, you know..." She lets out a small chuckle just to imply she isn't serious.

The Exchange

Male Human Cleric 3
Stats:
HP:39/39 [AC:18(12), T:12; F:16(18)] [F:6, R:3, W:6] [Perception +2, Init +9]

Lionel treks unhappily in the mud, constantly stepping in something he names, 'too nat'ral'. Listening attentively to everyone's story, and nodding in approval at everyone's, even laughing out loud at seeing Eve make a joke, he waits until everyone's looking at him to start talking.

"Wha? Is ma turn? Alright, alright. Ya see, I'm not a hella interestin' character, 's why I was waitin' on yas. When I wassa kid, I was mostly livin' with ma ol' man. 's was in tha ol' Beldrin's Bluff, before it was tha Precepice. Now, tha ol' man was a barba, an' he was hella good at it. Most o' tha respectabal ladies from tha houses used ta come ta him, becas he was damn good at his craft, ya know. There was even this one time, where he actually got two ladies from an actual nobal house ta try an' outpay each otha at the same time. He went home with about 7 yellow ones that day. Tha job is how he met ma mom, 's what he says. Ma mum isa follower of Calistria, like this strikin' hansom humbal man in front o' ya.", he says, grinning, lost in memories.

"She was even one o' tha highest priestesses, is wha ma dad told, so she was called ta one o' tha big temples in Coining, that elven place up north. I never did spent much time with her, but she was a tempa, always shoutin'. I was a hella lot bigga than tha other kids, so I got me a job guardin' tha temple, makin' sure errythin' was nice an' dandy in there. I got some training in weapanry and errythin' in tha temple. Then some years ago, when tha earthquake happened, ma dad's store was on tha edge o' tha sea, so he was lost in there.", he stops for a while, looking sad, gazing in the distance. He then turns back and smiles again, mostly at Janira. "So I jus started working in tha temple as full time, an' even got some trainin' as a priest. And then I got hired by a guy for a museum to clear some tower 'round tha city, an the rest is, what they say, history."

He then steps in another thing, swearing something incomprehensible, and then continues on. "See, told ya I'd bore ya.", continuing onwards, first in line.


To Eveline:

"Aye, but the camels were never fond of the boats, so we left them at the shore. My father always suggested though that we must range far and wide to obtain and sell the best, and it was but a short time on the water."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Janira nods "It seems you both, Bazim and Lionel, had a tough life in Absalom. I can see you probably got into the Society to rise your opportunities for a better life."

The halfling turns then towards Reed and Numair "So what about you two? Don't you want to share your origin? Are you from Absalom or abroad? Why did you enrolled?"

Scarab Sages

'The Grandidierite Sage' Male Half-Elf Sorceror 9 (HP 74/74) (AC 16/10/16) (CMD 12) (Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8) (Init +6) (Perception +22)

Numair shrugs.

"I grew up in Westcrown. My mother was a chorus girl in one of the city's many opera houses, and as far as I have been able to determine, my father was a visiting Elven tenor. Mixed bloods such as myself usually have it tough in human society, but in Cheliax, everyone tended to gang up on the devil-spawn instead. Still, life was not exactly pleasant - a pall of fear covers the city; beasts stalk the shadows at night... eventually, I decided that I needed to get out, and wanderlust eventually caused me to join the Society - it seemed like a good way to see the world, and stay warm and fed."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Janira nods at Numair's explanation "You live at the day... No shame on that Numair. We all need some purpose and the Society give us all one even when we have no other plan than survive"

The halfling little eyes now drop over Reed, fixed on the ranger "It seems you are the last one to talk Reed. Do not feel pressured though, we can skip it if you prefer"

Sovereign Court

CORE Female Gnome Silver Draconic Sorcerer 1 | AC (17)13/13/(15)11 | HP 9/9 | F+3,R+2,W+2 | Initiative +6 | Perception + 5 | Lowlight vision

"Why Evaline, we might be neighbors! It's a pleasure to meet another Taldan! That's great. The gillmen better watch out if they are against a tag team of Taldans!"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Ranger 2 HP 20/20 | AC 19/13/16 | F +4, R +6, W +1 (+2 on Fear vs Humans)| Init +5| Perc +6

"I am Reed, and am also from Taldor. I was born to a woodcutter and his wife. He taught me his trade, but cutting lumber didn't satisfy the yearning in my heart to see more. I was stressed, frustrated, until one day by chance I met a member of the Pathfinder Society. He told me about the Society, and it seemed like the right avenue for me to go down to satisfy the wanderlust that tugged at me. So here I am." He smiles shyly, eyes down.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Janira thanks Reed for his introduction "Well it seems it is getting late and we are losing our desire to talk. So let's go to sleep, tomorrow we have and intense day ahead"

After arranging some turns to guard the campfire, you all get to rest placidly enough in your tents or bedrolls.
All of you can ready new spells at this point

During the morning the Sun is bright and you ready all your stuff to begin walking again. Yet, once you have everything packed, a tree suddenly fells next to your position.

1d6 ⇒ 1
All the smaller animals suddenly run away totally scared out, hiding and approaching the party as they flee from a cacophonous noise.

You look around trying to ascertain where the noise is coming from. What you see is most of the trees in this section of the forest have trunks that are too big for any creatures to share their space. Sporadic patches of light undergrowth provide areas for creatures to hide while restricting movement for those passing through. A large rock outcropping to the east rises nearly 20 feet above the forest floor, and a small sinkhole to the northwest drops off sharply, descending to the ground 10 feet below.

Perception:

Bazim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Doodlevian: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Eveline: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Lionel: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Numair: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Reed: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Syrak: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Janira: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Initiative:

Bazim: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Doodlevian: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Eveline: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Lionel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Numair: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Reed: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Syrak: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Janira: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Spiders: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Syrak and Numair are looking in the wrong direction and got totally surprised, but the rest of the party is ready enough for a first fast response.

Janira hastily react to the spiders approach, initiating an inspiring oratory "Swarms! Quickly! Use area spells and alchemical weapons against them!"

Let us remember the sacrifice of the fabled Yasmin
bint Faroud, favored of the Ten, who gave her life
distracting Zythrustianax, draconic scourge of the
Society, so dozens of junior agents could survive. Her
act of benevolence is the epitome of cooperation within
the Society.

Everybody: +1 competence bonus to hit and weapon damage, +1 morale to saves vs charm and fear

Then the spiders approach the party, they start going over your legs, causing distress and biting you badly!
Damage (Syrak, Janira, Reed, Doodlevian and Bazim): 1d6 ⇒ 1
Fort Janira DC 11: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Str damage: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Syrak, Reed, Doodlevian and Bazim, you all have to take a Fort save vs. poison as Janira did, or take 1d2 Str damage
Janira seems to considerably weaken as the poison of the spider affects her.
Fort Janira DC 11: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
The halfling also starts to move in pain, unable to focus on anything else.
You also need a second Fort roll to see if you get nauseated 1 round due to the creatures distract ability

K. dungeoning DC 11:

Janira: 1 damage, poisoned (r2), nauseated (r2)
Numair
Lionel
Bazim: 1 damage, poisoned? (r2), nauseated ? (r2)
Reed: 1 damage, poisoned? (r2), nauseated ? (r2)
Doodlevian: 1 damage, poisoned? (r2), nauseated ? (r2)
Syrak: 1 damage, poisoned? (r2), nauseated ? (r2)
Surprise round: Janira, Spiders, Lionel, Bazim, Reed, Doodlevian
Round 1: Janira, Numair, Spiders, Lionel, Bazim, Reed, Doodlevian, Syrak
Bolded people can act. Remember in surprise round, you can only take 1 single standard action (no move or full-round)

Find the map up under Campaign title

1 to 50 of 244 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS Core] GM Rutseg's #5-08: The Confirmation [Tier 2] - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.