Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Scrolls with You target


Rules Questions


I'm aware potions cannot be made with a You target and I thought scrolls were the same thing but I can't find it written anywhere. Can scrolls with a target of You be bought?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Atalius wrote:
I'm aware potions cannot be made with a You target and I thought scrolls were the same thing but I can't find it written anywhere. Can scrolls with a target of You be bought?

Scrolls have no limitations. Any spell can be scribed on a scroll. The only items with restrictions on what spells can be put into them are potions (3rd level or lower only, must target one or more creatures/objects, can not have a range of personal) and wands (4th level spells or lower only).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Short answer, yes. If you have a close read through the "Crating Scrolls" section on page 552 of the Core Rulebook you won't find any such restrictions.

As long as you have the time, money, and ability to cast it, any spell can be turned into a scroll.

Grand Lodge

As far as I'm aware, yes. The target is of course the reader of the scroll.


Starglim wrote:
As far as I'm aware, yes. The target is of course the reader of the scroll.

That is not how scrolls work. When you cast a spell from a scroll you follow all the normal rules for casting a spell, including the freedom to make any decisions about the effects. It is not a potion.


dragonhunterq wrote:
Starglim wrote:
As far as I'm aware, yes. The target is of course the reader of the scroll.
That is not how scrolls work. When you cast a spell from a scroll you follow all the normal rules for casting a spell, including the freedom to make any decisions about the effects. It is not a potion.

The scroll in question is one with a target of "you". So he was technically correct.


Jeraa wrote:
dragonhunterq wrote:
Starglim wrote:
As far as I'm aware, yes. The target is of course the reader of the scroll.
That is not how scrolls work. When you cast a spell from a scroll you follow all the normal rules for casting a spell, including the freedom to make any decisions about the effects. It is not a potion.
The scroll in question is one with a target of "you". So he was technically correct.

Quite true.

My apologies to Starglim.
:)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Scrolls with You target All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.