Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

WWKD...What Would Kyuss Do? (spoilers)


Age of Worms Adventure Path


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber

First of all, if any of my players are reading this...stop now!!!

Now, as I'm reading some of Kyuss' spells, I notice that he has Gate. At his level, he could Gate in a creature of 40 HD or less, so, what is to stop him from Gateing in an epic creature like an Infernal (which can in turn immediately summon 4 pit fiends or balors), or a Phane (which can summon a past-time duplicate of one of the PC's)? I mean, Kyuss by himself is powerful enough. Throw in another epic level creature, and it smells like TPK to me.


I'm pretty sure Kyuss is not a 40th level caster. He's 22nd level caster in two classes, if I'm reading it correctly. His cleric and sorcerer levels do not stack for the purposes of gate.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
office_ninja wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kyuss is not a 40th level caster. He's 22nd level caster in two classes, if I'm reading it correctly. His cleric and sorcerer levels do not stack for the purposes of gate.

You're right, but for purposes of Gate, you can summon a single creature whose HD are not greater than TWICE your caster level. So, Kyuss being a 20th level caster could summon a 40 HD creature.


Don't quote me on this but I think it's been errata'd. I can't find anything but a fellow Age-of-Wormer told me that it had been changed to equal caster level instead of double caster level. That's how we played it, anyway.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
The SRD wrote:
If you choose to call a kind of creature instead of a known individual you may call either a single creature (of any HD) or several creatures. You can call and control several creatures as long as their HD total does not exceed your caster level. In the case of a single creature, you can control it if its HD do not exceed twice your caster level. A single creature with more HD than twice your caster level can’t be controlled. Deities and unique beings cannot be controlled in any event. An uncontrolled being acts as it pleases, making the calling of such creatures rather dangerous. An uncontrolled being may return to its home plane at any time.

Indeed. Gate can lead to much mayhem.


The thread title might be the funniest one I've seen in a while.

It may seem like blasphemy (make your saves), but in the nearly two years of by-the-book gaming for this AoW campaign, we are two modules away from the big meeting with the big boy Kyuss himself. All that "by-the-book" crap is going out the window. ACs will all but be ignored, powers, abilities, hit points, all of that - they simply will not apply to him.

"He levels his weapon and a black beam strikes all living creatures unerringly with an energy source that can only be defined as profanely extra-dimensional. The pain it causes is unparallelled: everyone takes 50 points of damage." - This is the kind of attacks he will make in my game. I have some cinematic end in store for them that I hope they enjoy; its tailor made for them.

So what am I saying? I guess I'm saying do what feels right and make this battle the most exciting, memorable, and fun battle it should be. A battle against a god. Doesn't happen everyday....


i dunno if Jolly's players are the types that would appreciate throwing the rules out the window.

I suggest you summon a dream larva. I'ts got 40 HD, and if you replace the larva with kyuss worms you've got a perfect epic monster.

Or you could just use gate on the sphere of ultimate DOOOOOM.

Also, antimagic shell! :)

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

Techinically, nothing is stopping Kyuss from gating in an epic friend to help him out. Then again, nothing is stopping your PCs from doing the same (unless of course the DM house rules it so).

When I ran the fight, the PCs had a black slaad and a titan barbarian on their side. I say if the PCs wanna play dirty, then return the favor. :)


Wouldn't Manzorian and crew's dimensional lock spell keep out the fiends? If it applies to Kyuss and all of his worshippers, wouldn't the gate spell simply fail? I think Kyuss is pretty bad enough, adding something that's an even higher challenge rating almost steals the show from the big guy. If you think he's gonna go down like a wus, up the save DCs or give him a second quickened spell a turn (like the spell weavers... break the rules!).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Rakshaka wrote:
Wouldn't Manzorian and crew's dimensional lock spell keep out the fiends? If it applies to Kyuss and all of his worshippers, wouldn't the gate spell simply fail? I think Kyuss is pretty bad enough, adding something that's an even higher challenge rating almost steals the show from the big guy. If you think he's gonna go down like a wus, up the save DCs or give him a second quickened spell a turn (like the spell weavers... break the rules!).

Well, anything he would Gate in would not be his worshipper. He would have control over it, forcing it to do his bidding. I know my players have Gate scrolls at their disposal, and will probably use them, so I don't feel too bad about letting Kyuss do the same...I'm liking the Phane idea...summoning an alternate time version of one of the PC's strikes me as Karmic.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

Joseph Jolly wrote:


Well, anything he would Gate in would not be his worshipper. He would have control over it, forcing it to do his bidding. I know my players have Gate scrolls at their disposal, and will probably use them, so I don't feel too bad about letting Kyuss do the same...I'm liking the Phane idea...summoning an alternate time version of one of the PC's strikes me as Karmic.

If you're thinking of the same PC that I'm thinking of...

Yes, yes it would.

Spawn of Kyuss indeed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Joseph Jolly wrote:


Well, anything he would Gate in would not be his worshipper. He would have control over it, forcing it to do his bidding. I know my players have Gate scrolls at their disposal, and will probably use them, so I don't feel too bad about letting Kyuss do the same...I'm liking the Phane idea...summoning an alternate time version of one of the PC's strikes me as Karmic.

If you're thinking of the same PC that I'm thinking of...

Yes, yes it would.

You know I am. Do you remember the old Marvel 'What If?' series? Hmmmm.

Spawn of Kyuss indeed.

Osirion

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Brainiac wrote:

Then again, nothing is stopping your PCs from doing the same (unless of course the DM house rules it so).

When I ran the fight, the PCs had a black slaad and a titan barbarian on their side. I say if the PCs wanna play dirty, then return the favor. :)

In an issue of Dragon from around the same time they had a Wormfood article with some example NPC beings the party could summon to help them out.


Gah. Someone with a brain needs to do something about gate.

My players are still in the library of last resort, but they've been making a list for a while of everyone they plan on using gate on when they finally get access to the spell.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
The Monkey King wrote:

Gah. Someone with a brain needs to do something about gate.

My players are still in the library of last resort, but they've been making a list for a while of everyone they plan on using gate on when they finally get access to the spell.

Think of gate along the same lines as wish. As long as the PCs use it at the same power level as other 9th level spells, it functions just fine. But when they use it to ask Thor "Hey, can you do my dirty work for me?" then there will obviously be repercussions.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Thanis Kartaleon wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:

Gah. Someone with a brain needs to do something about gate.

My players are still in the library of last resort, but they've been making a list for a while of everyone they plan on using gate on when they finally get access to the spell.

Think of gate along the same lines as wish. As long as the PCs use it at the same power level as other 9th level spells, it functions just fine. But when they use it to ask Thor "Hey, can you do my dirty work for me?" then there will obviously be repercussions.

So far my players have used Gate twice in the AP. The first time was to bring in a Solar in Wormcrawl Fissure to fight one battle with them, of their choosing. This did not happen to be a fight with Dragotha, but instead with the Worm Drake, who had Gated in some help of his own.

The second time has been in Dawn of a New Age, when they Gated in the same solar to protect the townspeople they had convinced to seek refuge at the temple of Kord while the PC's went to take on Kyuss. Fairless selfless act.


I had a player who announced his character was gating in Cindy Crawford. I was forced to add a bunch of class levels to her to avoid the 2 HD/lvl limit.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
Erik Goldman wrote:
I had a player who announced his character was gating in Cindy Crawford. I was forced to add a bunch of class levels to her to avoid the 2 HD/lvl limit.

You can't Gate in a unique being :o)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
Joseph Jolly wrote:
Erik Goldman wrote:
I had a player who announced his character was gating in Cindy Crawford. I was forced to add a bunch of class levels to her to avoid the 2 HD/lvl limit.
You can't Gate in a unique being :o)

Yes you can. You just have no control over what they do when they're gated in (which includes them gating straight back out if they want).


And well all know that cindy crawford would just gate herself away... ;)


Jolly, I'm a big fan of your Story Hour on ENWorld. However, I would really recommend avoiding Epic creatures. They are not really designed for 3.5, despite the slipshod conversion. In fact, after the beating "The League" took in your latest update, I would think that multiple Broodfiends and elite Mortal Hunters ought to do the trick.

If you don't think that's enough, I believe Darl Quethos is looking for employment . . .;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
JDillard wrote:

Jolly, I'm a big fan of your Story Hour on ENWorld. However, I would really recommend avoiding Epic creatures. They are not really designed for 3.5, despite the slipshod conversion. In fact, after the beating "The League" took in your latest update, I would think that multiple Broodfiends and elite Mortal Hunters ought to do the trick.

If you don't think that's enough, I believe Darl Quethos is looking for employment . . .;)

Well, with any luck, we will be concluding the AoW this coming Saturday. The stars have aligned, and everyone can make it, plus it's Saturday AND we get to set the clocks back, all of which lays the groundwork for some marathon, high-level, butt-kicking Age of Worms goodness!! I'm rethinking my whole Kyuss strategy, but it promises to be good...never fear.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Older Products / Dungeon Magazine / Age of Worms Adventure Path / WWKD...What Would Kyuss Do? (spoilers) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Age of Worms Adventure Path

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.