Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Sv's - First Steps part 1 : In Service to Lore

Game Master sveden

GM-Sveden attempts his first PBP campaign. In Service to Lore is part one of the three part First Steps series of modules.


51 to 100 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco skips past the servant thanking him for the low sweeping gesture. He immediately starts looking at and touching everything.


Stepping into the spacious entrance hall of you stop to turn and watch as the door closes behind you.

Ticco, Wren, Solace and Karal read this:

As the servant is closing the door you notice a woman across the busy street watching you. She catches your eye and in a slow but purposeful turn she puts a large throng of people between you and her.

She is gone just as quickly as you saw her. Was it all in your mind? Or did she seemed to be watching us?

"This way please."

The servant heads off to the left and down a long hallway. A grand staircase leads you to an even grander over head view of a massive study fronted by floor to ceiling windows.

A ballroom and several sitting rooms later the servant stops and waits before a closed door.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

if I see no obvious rapper or bell on the outside of the door, I will knock with two firm knocks


No need to knock, the servant is simply waiting for you all to arrive

Once everyone has caught up the servant raps softly on the door.

"Mistress Dralneen, you have visitors"

A large intricate carpet dominates the marble floor in this sitting room. A chaise sits along the north wall and a desk spans the southeast corner, its chair positioned with its back to the southwest corner of the room. Three comfortable chairs are positioned around a small, low circular table.

Paracountess Zarta Dralneen sits in the chair behind the desk as you enter.


The Paracountess regards you with a wry smile before putting away a few papers and standing to address you.

“Aldor, you are dismissed. Close the door behind you and attend to your other tasks.”

She then turns her attention to the group. “It’s always so incredibly adorable when I see a fresh faced batch of Pathfinders. I mean, look at you scrumptious little teacakes. I could eat each and every one of you up."

"Well, maybe not you.” Zarta points. “I assume this isn’t a pleasure visit since most of you are terribly overdressed for that manner of occasion, so that must mean you are here for that trinket Valsin has been nagging me about. Seems I can’t get that man around these parts anymore,”

She gestures, sliding her hand down her body and widening the gesture to sweep out and across the room as if her home were a secondary thought.

“On the good side, he always sends me all the precious new recruits."

After her eyes linger for too long, she continues.

“Many think we in Cheliax serve and worship devils, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, we use the creatures for their power. They serve us and we sculpt their power in our own interests. The world must come to terms with the order of things. People need to know their place and operate accordingly. It is the only way to make order from this world. Too many people stretch too far beyond their station, making waves and eroding the true order.”


The entire time Zarta is speaking a myriad of booms and crashes sound from beyond the room’s west door. She sometimes pauses at an extended eruption of these noises before continuing with the conversation

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Assuming Zarta wasn't pointing at him for no other reason but that he is the only one this sultry minx probably could literally eat, Ticco disrobes taking her "terribly overdressed" comment to heart.

He then runs over to the west door to listen for the noises. Ticco attempts to peer through the key hole and underneath the door to see what's on the other side.

Of course this all happens in accordance with her conversation and he largely misses everything she says about order and knowing one's place.


Zarta raises but an eyebrow seeing the blue haired gnome disrobe.

Seeing him peering at the door and trying to see what lies beyond she states matter of factly,

"“A servant is greatly misbehaving. You’re going to have to deal with it in order to get the trinket loaned to me by the Society.”

She then pulls a open a draw on her desk and produces an exquisitely carved silver dagger*.

She offers the dagger to Ticco.

"You might need this to get it to submit. I would also suggest putting your clothes back on before tackling this particular troublemaker.

The trinket is a magically sealed box with 7 locks on its front. I was attempting to bypass its locks but had no luck. I strongly suggest you do not tamper with the box yourself. I'd hate to see such freshly baked snacks as yourselves come to an abrupt end."

*Treat this letter opener as a masterwork Silver dagger 1d4-1 DMG + STR modifiers

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco accepts the letter opener and runs it through his wispy blue hair while standing atop his robes. He surveys his compatriots and eventually offers the dagger to Solace.

"Here. You will probably have better use for this than I would. I have no talents with such things unless it involves melting them down."

Ticco bends over shamelessly and pulls his robes back on.

"HooYA. Let's go silence the servant!" he says with a renewed enthusiasm.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Alliver wonders if he knows anything about these people or this situation. knowledge local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Alliver remembers that Cheliax faction like to woo others to their side with temptations.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"You referred to your ...servant as an 'it.' Is ...'it' not humanoid?"


"It... him... If you want the box, it is in that room."


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Alliver merely raises and eyebrow and turns to the room.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

pulls out his axe and steps to the door

ready when you all are. Curious to see this "it"

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco stands behind Karal, his eyes alight, fingers wiggling... his hair standing straight up, seems to be flickering like the flames of an open fire.

Ticco pats the dwarf on the back and yells,"POP!"

Shadow Lodge

Male Human (Taldan) HP 10/10 AC 15 CMD 14 Touch 13 Flat 12 Rapier +4;1d6 Pistol, Double Barrel +4;1d8 F +2 R +5 W +2 INIT +3 Perc +6 CMB +1 Gunslinger (Pistolero) 1

Solace took the dagger from Ticco and frowned as the others seemed eager to do as asked without taking a moment to consider what it might mean. He looked at the others and expressed his concerns.

"I know we are supposed to retrieve the box, but at what cost? Torture or worse? Is this really what we want to be a part of?" He turned a slightly glaring eye at the Paracountess.

"Is it fun to torture? To put those you consider lesser in their place?"


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"Human, I have no intention of doing any such thing. I simply see no logical reason to converse with the Paracountess at present."

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

Wren stands in the shadows of the Paracountess's room. Her disgust is apparent. She is not even trying to hide her emotions.

"So, the Pathfinders are mere playthings for you to chew up and spit out? No wonder the local Chellish faction has fallen on hard times. I hear the Inquisitors are taking a special interest in House Dralneen. What will they find?"

Wren attempts Sense Motive on the Paracountess's answer. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
knowledge planes, religion, arcana in the study
KN: Planes 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
KN:Religion 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
KN:Arcana 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Zarta's eyes flare as a rush of blood runs through her face in anger. Her eyes study Wren, filing away all she can of this impudent girl that stands before her.

"Yes, I really must remember to thank Valsin for sending such visions of eagerness and naivety to my doorstep."

She then excuses herself as she storms off to find the servant on an excuse of 'house matters'.

Wren:

Assuming you mean her answer to your question, Zarta seems insulted but not threatened by your answer.

No sounds or sights are triggering any pertinent knowledge.


Map

This map, like all things in the public game folder, can be viewed from the main page of our campaign.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

remember all, we do this not for her, but for the society. She is but the borrower we came to recover the item from. Our duty is to Lord Valsine. Mayhap we can reason with her "servant"?

Shall we proceed?

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

if everyone indicates they are ready, karal will quickly open the door and move in to the right


Zarta’s bedroom is decorated in the colors of Cheliax —ebon black and crimson red. Silk, rare woods, and carefully carved marble compose every bit of furniture in the room. Goose down now litters the room, covering
almost every surface and the silken shreds of the cushions that contained it lie about like flayed skin.

A post on the massive screened bed is snapped in half, collapsed on the bed and drawing the screened curtains into a ripped slope of formerly fine cloth. Vials of perfume and crystal jars of other cosmetics sit smashed on the marble floor around the dresser.

A prominent fixture in the room, a large “X” made of stout wood sits along the west wall, complete with leather shackles and chains. A table sits to its left strewn with various items intended for pleasure, but outwardly resembling implements of pain.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

I have indicated my readiness and appropriately placed Ticco on the map.


You open the door and see the culprit that caused the havoc. A tiny creature thrashes, smashes and throws a locked box around the room.

GM:

Wren: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Ticco: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Karal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Solace: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Alliver: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Creature: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Rnd 1 order:
Wren
Ticco
Alliver
Karal
Creature
Solace


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

"Tsk." Alliver tries to identify the creature and the device.
Know Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Healing: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Know Planar: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Know Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Know Arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Know Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Know Local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Fiendish wings and a whipping scorpion-like tail lash about in frustration as the creature continues abusing the box

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

Wren has moved into the room. She looks at the fiendish looking thing attempting to identify it.

Kn: Planes 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Whether or not she knows the critter in the room, she will inspect the implements of "pleasure' on the table next to her.


Wren:
This creature is common enough that you know this is an Imp. Often used by Wizards as a cunning and conniving magical familiar.

Wren studies the implements on the table next to her. A few vials of clear liquid, a riding crop with a barbed metal tip at the end and what looks like leather restraints with inward facing spikes.

You have used a move action and a free action. Anything else you want to do with round 1 actions?

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1
GM-Sveden wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Wren studies the implements on the table next to her. A few vials of clear liquid, a riding crop with a barbed metal tip at the end and what looks like leather restraints with inward facing spikes.

You have used a move action and a free action. Anything else you want to do with round 1 actions?

She will pick up the riding crop and vials. If only one item this turn it will be the crop.


Wren picks up a leather riding crop from the table.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco moves into the room across from the commotion. He notices the imp trying desperately to get into a box. With a giggle and a whisper he opens his mouth and his jaw drops wide open as he focuses his stare on the creature. To everyone else it would appear as if the gnome is simply gawking in amazement but the imp knows better as it is washed in an unbearable shriek.

Cast ear-piercing scream: DC15 fortitude for ½ damage and negate daze 1d6 ⇒ 1


GM:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

The Imp barely seems to notice the damage it took from Ticco's spell.


Alliver moves into the room and studies the Imp.

Alliver:
This is an Imp. They are immune to Fire and Poison. They also have thick hides that can only be bypasses by good or silver weapons. Their poison stingers are also very dangerous.

The box is moving around too much for you to get a good look at it.

You've used a move and free action this round Alliver. Still have a standard action left


Solace steps into the room and approaches the imp. Just short of the creature he stops, holding the letter opener in a threatening manner. "HEY! Do I need to use this on you or will you settle down?!"


Solace where on the map do you move? If you can't move your token yourself let me know what square you move into. Do you want to go straight to E5?

Solace moves into the room and brandishes the letter opener at the Creature. It pays him no attention.


GM:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


GM-Sveden wrote:

Solace where on the map do you move? If you can't move your token yourself let me know what square you move into. Do you want to go straight to E5?

Solace moves into the room and brandishes the letter opener at the Creature. It pays him no attention.

Yes, E5 works. Sorry, I can see the map while at work, but can't manipulate it. (something with the iPhone)


No problem, that's why the grid #s are on there. You have been moved. Karal, you are up!

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

Karal will shut the doors as an action and then move to E4. Would not let move either.


The creature still intent on the box heaves it across the room and the chest bounces off the cabinet in tile D8.

throw: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 6 - 2 = 11

It then moves to D8 intent on damaging the box further.


First round actions:
Wren moves into the room and picks up a crop
Ticco moves and casts a spell at the creature
Alliver studies the creature
Karal shuts the door and move towards the creature
Creature throws the box and moves to where it was thrown
Solace moves in the room and brandishes the letter opener

Rnd 2!
Wren
Ticco
Alliver
Karal
Creature
Solace

Cheliax

Female Human Wizard 1

Wren moves to E7.

She then brandishes the crop to the imp yelling, "Fiend! Know your better! Leave the box alone and move away!"

Intimidate 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

+4 bonus due to being larger than the imp.


For the first time the creature looks at something besides the box. But not for long.

The creature is visibly shaken by Wren's display.

Grand Lodge

Char Sheet hp 9/9 / AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 12 / Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2

Ticco is now genuinely agape in regards to the imp shrugging off his first attack. He holds out a finger, his eyes flicker and a reddish orange beam streaks forth.

cast Fire Ray; ranged touch 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Ticco's bolt goes streaking high and unnoticed over the creature's head.

Silver Crusade

male dwarf AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17. (+7 armor, +2 Dex) conversion inquisitor/1

I realize I don't go til Alliver. But will be gone for a couple of hours, so after Allivers move, mine was move and swing.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d12 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

and a whif


That's perfect Karal thanks for thinking ahead.


M Elf Cloistered Cleric 1

Sorry guys, errand day.

"I suppose it is an it after all. Evil thing."

Alliver takes out his bow and shoots. shoot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21; damage hopefully: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

51 to 100 of 389 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay - In Service to Lore - Sveden's First Steps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.