Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Steel Wolves - A Mercenary Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master Mark Sweetman

The Steel Wolves are a squad of the mercenary company the Blood Hawks. Currently stationed in Kalabuto, though the jungle calls....


1,501 to 1,550 of 3,371 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

DM:
"Well sir, the mine was over run by wights, which we think were created via this blue spherical object that the miners uncovered. We destroyed it though, which hopefully ends that threat."

Do I get the sense that he's asking for anything specific, or should I know if he is, being a solider for as long as I have been?


Primordial Ooze

Blaze:
You get the sense that he's asking more about the squad itself rather than the mission. Remember that you were put on probation as a Corporal before departing.
If you had to guess you'd think he's still pondering whether to make the promotion official or not.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"They been a bit too quite in there, yall think we err being cheated out o some pay like afore?"

Grusk is still talking about the porters that came out of our payment.....

"I need tha coin fer mah new armor!"

Spoiler:

too many spoilers are annoying!

:)


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

DM:
"The squad itself performs like a well oiled machine, which is impressive considering the relatively short amount of time we've been together. I've divided the team into two sub groups. Team Green is the scout team, well versed in stealth and possessing keen senses. They are also our members a bit closer to nature. Team Red is our fire team, bringing the pain down upon our enemies. We're a bit more capable of diplomacy as well. In combat situations, we excell like nothing I've seen before, each of us capitalizing on the strength of our fellow teammates while doing our best to negate any weaknesses."


Primordial Ooze

Grusk:
Made ya look :P

Blaze:
The Captain listens as Blaze speaks, silently assessing what is said. After Blaze returns to silence he adds "Well seems you done enough to earn this Corporal" sliding the small bag to Blaze "Get to barracks and enjoy some R&R... no doubt you'll be out in the soup again soon enough" giving a seated salute.

Within the bag Blaze finds official insignia of his new rank. Twin bars in forged iron to be worn as a brooch. No magical effect

An hour or more after Blaze returns to the barracks, a runner comes with a writ from the Sargavan Government. It warrants the bearer to 5,000gp worth of goods or services within Kalabuto.


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

Since nobody else wants to post, I'm happy to make this the Corporal Blaze show

Blaze affixes his brooch to his leather vest, with a bit of a proud smile on his face "Thank you Sir. We could definitely use at least a small break before heading back out into the wilds once more."

Taking his leave he makes his way back to where the rest of the Wolves are proudly displaying his new rank. "Well lads, its official, you're looking at your new squad leader. My first orders are as follows: Grusk, take a bath, you smell worst than a two week old garabge heap. When your done getting clean, relax and enjoy your time off. Sentis, feed Baran, id hate for him to accidently eat one of the new recruits. After that, relax and enjoy your time off. Kaavel, go practice pummeling people to death, just try really hard not to actually do it. Once finished, relax and enjoy your time off. Dark, uh your looking a bit extra feral. Maybe you wanna shave? If not, that's fine too. Relax and enjoy your time off either way. Doc, go make some new toys that blow people up better and then relax and enjoy your time off."

Orders given, Blaze goes to study the spellbooks they found, starting the process of adding those spells he desires into his personal spellbook.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"A bath ain't even been a year since mah las one!"

"Order Doc not tah be puttin beast lure intah mah water, it creeps me out him hanging round when I gets ready tah takes a bath!"


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"Makin' new toys tha' blow people up better is how ah enjoy mah time off..."


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

The Keleshite chuckles "Then I guess you'll have no problems following my orders, huh?"

Looking to Grusk he says "What you and Doc wanna do when its bath time is up to you. If that's your chosen lifestyle good for you. Its not an easy one, but what makes you happy often is a difficult road to travel"


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Kaavel looks at Blaze with an odd look on his face than says "Not to doubt your knowledge but Doc is a dwarf and Grusk is a Half-Orc. I think their ancestors might be upset."


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis laughed heartily at the Wolves banter and antics. He'd be alone so long except for the infrequent visits with Darkbiter that he'd forgotten what it felt like to have family. But he was remembering now.

That sure is some fancy new jewelry you got there Sunny. Congratulations on finally being official. Not that we needed their approval of you to lead us. Ill get Baran that well deserved meal now...Sir!

The half elf smiled mischeviously and made his way to the chow hall to see if there was any raw meat for his canine friend.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)
Kaavel wrote:
Kaavel looks at Blaze with an odd look on his face than says "Not to doubt your knowledge but Doc is a dwarf and Grusk is a Half-Orc. I think their ancestors might be upset."

"Accordin tah Doc he an mah mom err on very good terms."


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"Grusk is a half-orc? Well don' tha' jus' beat all. Ah thought 'e was a minotaur wit' a gland problem. His mamma did say ah was hung like a bull. Ah jus' figgured she knew wha' she was talkin' bout."


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Glandular prblems mah ass yah slipped some concoction intah me when I waas a kid an yah slipped yer other con-cock-tion intah mah mom so she'd like yah. I am thinkin a love elixor o someting."


Primordial Ooze

As Grusk and Doc banter you see some of the other mercs in the barracks snicker quietly, a few whispering to each other and laughing a bit louder.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"An he's not mah father either!"


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

"A'course ah'm not." Doc said. "Ah got short legs. Th' cow beat me to it. An' ah don' need love potions. Ah got booze."

"Now tha' this battle o' wits has become a more o' a mugging, permission t' go make things tha' kill people, sir." Doc says with a smirking salute.


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis had found a very congenial cook at the mess hall who was more than willing to part with some meat scraps for the wolf. It seems that the story of Darkbiter's heroic fight for lives of Baran and the bear had found their way around the base to much applause.
The canine's hunger sated the two fared the cook farewell with promises of future visits and made their way back the Wolves where the banter hadn't let up at all.


Primordial Ooze

The banter continues into the night and despite some distant snickering from other units, they don't come forward to join in the fray. The fires in camp eventually burn low and the time comes for sleep.

Sneaky DM Rolls:
Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Perception DC 25:
You waken to find a small figure sneaking into your area of the barracks... he looks to be approaching Grusk's bed.

His clothing is that a member of the Blood Hawks and he does not carry any weapons. He has only a piece of parchment in his hand.

Down Time:
You will all get ample downtime after this short interlude to complete any shopping or crafting that you want to.
Just post up either here or Discussion thread what you want to get done.


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

Perception
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

"Damnit Doc yer not putting any o yer s$~! on me!"

"Yah ain't Doc!"


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

Kaavel looks confused at the little figure after hearing Grusk yell he than says "Who might you be than?"


Primordial Ooze

The halfling drops the piece of paper while swearing and tries to scarper - attempting to slink past Grusk and out the front door.

Grusk - since you spotted him you can attempt to restrain with a grapple check.
If not, then he'll scarper out the door and we'll start a chase scene :)

Paper - Darkvision only:
The paper wafts through the air majestically before landing with a crudely drawn picture face up on the ground. In the shades of gray that your vision offer it looks like an attempt to draw a woman on all fours being mounted by a bullock. A title at the bottom states Grusk's Mom


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"I got mah Doc whacker ready."

Pulls a sap out from under his pillow.....

Acrobatics check
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17 if needed

Sap attack (non-lethal)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Sneak attack +2d6 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6


Primordial Ooze

Grusk's swing of the sap is a touch too slow and the halfling ducks under it and into the cool night air. In the glint from the stars you pick out that the halfling is a member of the Gut Crushers another of the Blood Hawk squads currently in barracks.

Ok, setting the stage for the chase - if I can get Perception checks from the remaining squaddies as it will impact where you start in chase initiative. ie. if you beat 25 you start on round 1, if not - then round 2.
Once I've got the checks, then I'll lay out the chase rules and sequence.


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

Blaze awakes with a start due to all the commotion and grabs Sunstrike 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 Perception.


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Do I have to re-roll or just keep my post?


Primordial Ooze

You're good Kaavel no need for re-roll.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

I'm going to assume that Doc is probably still working somewhere, or has just finished. I'll leave it up to Voiceless if Doc's eventual return coincides with this chase.


Primordial Ooze

Doc looks up from the cauldrons that he has just finished washing out to see a halfling bolt out of the Wolves part of the barracks and hear the shouting of his squadmates.

No problems Doc - you'll start on the same count as those who didn't wake up in Round 1. Up to you whether you choose to chase or leave it to the squaddies who burst out of the barracks in their underclothes ;)


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis slept soundly despite being indoors but the slightest scrape of a boot and Grusk's gravely voice woke him instantly. He sat up in time to see the small shadowy form make a dash for the door.

Perception - 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Male Wolf

Perception - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Baran lay loyally beside the half elf's bunk and dreamt of pine forests and mountain trails. He was exhausted from the training he was getting but proud that he was picking up the tricks Sentis was teaching him. He especially enjoyed retrieving items and using his natural abilities to track down objects.


Primordial Ooze

Ok, the chase rules are in the PRD, but here's a short version.

Chase Rules:
There are a series of obstacles in the chase, which you must maneuver through to make progress. This is measured by an abstract distance called 'cards'.
On each card there will generally be a choice of two different obstacles to attempt. These are attempted through a skill check or combat maneuver.
On your round you can do one of two things:
Attempt only 1 - which moves you forward one card if successful.
Attempt both - which moves you three cards is successful, but you risk not moving at all if you fail one or both. You also risk getting mired which costs an extra turn to get rid of.
If you are on the same card as the target when it's your round - you can attempt to grapple / trip / attack instead of attempting a move.
Similarly if you are ahead, you can ready an action to do the same as the target moves into or through your card.
Any questions let me know, otherwise I've found the quarry generally gets taken down pretty quick.

I am open to usage of skills / maneuvers other than those I've listed if they make sense for the obstacle presented. I'm pretty lenient in that respect so be creative if you feel like it.

Starting Order:
Card 2: Halfling
Card 1: Grusk, Doc
Card 0: Sentis, Baran, Blaze, ?Cort?, Kaavel, ?Dark?
The bolding works the same as my initiative tracker, those in bold have yet to take their turn this round, those in normal type have taken their turn.
Those who made the DC 25 Perception can act in Round 1, those who didn't will wait till Round 2.
For Doc - I've assumed that you'll start on Card 1 in the second Round due to being awake outside the barracks - though not close enough to react quickly to the fleeing figure.

Halfling Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
I don't have my shortcuts with me, so please roll your own initiative in your first action. I've assumed quite a few of you will beat a 6 so the Halfling will wait for the lay of the land before taking his action.

Your quarry's short legs are pumping furiously as he streaks across the common yard yelling "Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger" but he hasn't gotten too far yet.

Card 0: Barracks
The barracks interior is cluttered with many bedrolls and gear bags - making the footing treacherous if you're trying to move through quickly.

Kneecapped by Bedposts: Push through the billets and beds in the barracks through sheer force (Bullrush)
Dance through the Detritus: The cluttered field is no impediment to your delicate dancing toes. Slide, shimmy and shake through the gloom (Acrobatics)

Card 1: Common Yard
Bursting into the common yard outside the barracks, the ground turns to loose scree and it is scattered with the sleeping bodies of some of the squaddies who have slept outside to avoid the oppressive heat of the barracks. With the halfling's passing some of the figures are stirring and starting to sit up.

Jumping Jackrabbit: Flying like a majestic springbok o'er the rising heads of the men (Acrobatics - Jump)
Outside Voice: "Make way, coming through" try and cow the human obstacles into acquiescence (Intimidate)


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Sentis attemtps to dance through the detritus but forgot about the sleeping wolf by his bunk and promptly got tripped up.

Acrobatics - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Edit - Initiative - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

Initiative
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

"Skylar wants tah eat a little snack?"

The falcon joins the hunt for the rabbit!

Acrobatics
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

"Too easy! Yer gonna have tah run faster tha that yah jus volunteered fer Doc's next rounds o potions!"

"....an beastlure."


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Init. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 Acrobatics

The agile Keleshite easily dances around and leaps over the junk in the barracks. " Not so fast little rabbit!" He shouts as he closes the distance to the halfling.


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Initiative:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Acrobatics:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Kaavel uses his footwork to get past the beds quickly, to help chase after the halfing, wondering to himself what the halfing was up to.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

can I try to tag him with a tanglefoot bag?


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)
Drannigan "Doc" Piper wrote:

1d20+3

can I try to tag him with a tanglefoot bag?

By "him" meaning whom?


Male Changeling Fighter 1, Monk 1, Rogue 1, Ranger 1, Actor 5

the halfling.


Primordial Ooze

Doc - yep, if you're within a card you can try a tanglefoot lob at a range of about 20 ft. Two cards would probably be the long extreme range at ~50ft, but you could still attempt.
There's a risk of catching friendlies in the blast if they are on the same card though, and it would potentially 'alter' the obstacles as well. (sometimes for the better, sometimes not)
If you take a combat action, that replaces your attempt at moving cards for that round.

Sentis remains stuck in the barracks, but Kaavel barrels out and into the open air of the common yard.

Vaulting over the heads of confused mercenaries awakening from slumber Grusk draws close to the quarry.

The halfling spots Grusk drawing near and tries to keep pace in front of him. Aiming for a nearby drainpipe, he looks to shimmy onto the room of the messhall...
Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
...making the climb and moving onto the roof.

Top of Round 2:
Card 3: Halfling
Card 2: Grusk
Card 1: Kaavel, Doc
Card 0: Blaze, Sentis, Baran, ?Dark?,

Initiative Tracker: Blaze, Kaavel, Doc, Sentis, ?Baran?, Halfling
I decided to revert back to normal Initiative Tracker as it's easier to keep track of.
Blaze - you can keep your initial rolls, or choose to change your action and get fresh rolls.

Card 2: From the Ground to the Roof
At the edge of the common yard is the main command building, the chase heads upwards as your quarry moves from the ground to the roof.

Drainpipe Shimmy: A rain drainpipe at the building's edge gives a roof access point (Climb)
Triple Jump: A pile of haphazardly stacked boxes sits precariously next to the command structure. If you are light enough on your feet you could get up that way... or the boxes could give way beneath you. (Reflex Save / Acrobatics - Hard)


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Yah might as well takes yer punishment while were tired!"

Climb
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male Half Elf Wolf Shaman 5

Embarrassed at his very unagile display and sorry that Baran probably felt the brunt of it; Sentis regains his feet aftera quick pat the wolf's head and again attempts to make his way through the bunkhouse. Well behind the others at this point.

Acrobatics - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Male Wolf

Baran awoke with a start as he was unceremoniously kicked in the ribs by the half elf. He could sense the urgency and hear the other Wolves yelling and running so he bolted to his feet and tried to follow after Sentis.

Acrobatics - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Primordial Ooze

Grusk shimmies up the drainpipe like a well trained cat-burglar, and Sentis is able to maneuver his way out into the courtyard. Baran gets caught up in Sentis' discarded bedclothes for a few moments and makes no progress.

Current Positions:
Card 3: Halfling, Grusk
Card 2:
Card 1: Kaavel, Doc, Sentis
Card 0: Blaze, Baran, ?Dark? / ?Cort?

Initiative Tracker: Blaze, Kaavel, Grusk, Doc, Sentis + Baran, Halfling


M half-orc Rogue 4 (acrobat) / Ranger 1 (falconer)

"Comes back rabbit tha wolves err gonna eat well tonight!"


Male Half-Elf Martial Artist /4

Kaavel moves along as he tries to catch up the halfling.

Acrobatics:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Keleshite Magus(Kensai Archetype)/5

i'm confused. What do you mean, get new rolls if I change my actions? Don't I need to make my way out of the barracks before I can do anything else?


Primordial Ooze

Blaze, clearer explanation below:
Option A: Keep your current 1 card move and move forward to card 1 this round.
Option B: Seeing as how the halfling has a good headstart, you could attempt a 3 card move. However if you did this, you'd need to re-roll the Acrobatics check, and add a Bullrush.

At the sight of a half-orc with potentially malevolent intent closing in the halfling yells "Hargy, Numbnuts! Help!"

DM Rolls:
Perception: 1d20 + 5 - 10 ⇒ (11) + 5 - 10 = 6 - Fail

Kaavel moves through the cluttered common yard, and although catching one of the waking men with a knee - he manages to keep moving forwards.

Current Positions:
Card 3: Halfling, Grusk
Card 2: Kaavel
Card 1: Doc, Sentis
Card 0: Blaze, Baran, ?Dark? / ?Cort?

Initiative Tracker: Blaze, Kaavel, Grusk, Doc, Sentis + Baran, Halfling


Male Human Fighter 4

I'll be popping in later on. It'd be... incongruous to have Cort show up here suddenly. I'll be in afterward I think.


HP 31/31, Acid Resist 5, Fast Heal 10/10, AC 18, CMD 13, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0, Bombs 8/8, Init +2

Doc whipped his head around as the halfling and then his squad mates went tearing past. Watching the halfling run, he knocked the board off his mortar (which he'd been using as a stool).

"What're ye runnin' from li'tle rabbit? " he said dropping a shell down the barrel.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

A moment later Doc was covered in alchemical glue, stuck to the ground, and to his mortar and a half dozen pots and pans.

He stood for a moment, sighed and then fought the glue long enough to break out his flask.

I'm too slow to catch up anyway. I'm going to take that as a sign.

1,501 to 1,550 of 3,371 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Steel Wolves - Mercenary Campaign Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.