Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris

Game Master Chris Shannon 719

This will be the Shackled City adventure path using the Pathfinder rule set. However, the existing deities (i.e. St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Wee Jas) will not be converted to similar Golarion gods.


8,301 to 8,350 of 13,620 << first < prev | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | next > last >>

Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"A dragon problem averted! I am happy to say that we dispatched both dragons before they could become a problem for Cauldron, as well as a force of kuo toa being mustered not five days journey from here. So, you see, we sympathize with the desire to meet threats before they arise." Toffitt beams.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class
Finneas Glenn wrote:
Finneas loads several plates with fruit and cheese. He will carefully cut the fat and gristle out of any meat before giving it to Dyrant.

"Delicious, Finn, thank you."

Between pieces of gristle, Dyrant will seek the attention of Aralynn for a discrete whisper.

Aquan&GM Gristle:

"Is there evil in this room? How strong and from where, Aralynn?"

Dyrant does ask the Mayor anything yet.


"Both?! My father and grandfather never had to deal with problems like this. I am forever endebted to Lord Vhalantru and the rest of you."


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
Between pieces of gristle, Dyrant will seek the attention of Aralynn for a discrete whisper.

Aquan:
"No evil here except for all that fat you're eating. It's more likely to kill you than the next dragon you meet.

The mayor takes notice of Aralynn.

"That is quite the wonder there Mr. Maynor. How do you make it do that? I've seen one at the college before. Well, not one that moved about, but a curiosity on a professor's desk."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol trundles in wearing his new cassock (still clean!) and looking pleased. He is especially excited at the spread the mayor has offered.

Clearly they mean to win us over.

Out of respect he is careful not to take too much and uses Finneas as a guide. He's then uncomfortable when Finneas gives some of his plate to Dyrant. Atol sits quietly and eats in silence.

This is a meeting for greater minds. I shall sit quietly and listen until there is something obvious to say.

Atol does look for a break in the words to thank the mayor for dinner. "Very gracious of you to invite us into your home - and a wonderful spread. Thank you for being so generous of both your time and your larder."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Ah, well. The dragons were just a small nuisance, really. Finneas and Glimmil here made quick work of them. Lord Vhalantru, might I ask what you've been up to in our absence? To which effort might we lend our support? We of course have heard of the generous contributions that Cauldron's citizens are making to a war chest."

Toffitt eats like a bird—not unusual for him. He goes particularly light on the wine.


"Yes. Some citizens have done their part to keep Cauldron safe. Others have been more reluctant to contribute their fare share to the cause."

"War chest? We are not at war. Wars happen between countries. Wars are fought over lands by kings and queens. The funds are being used for the protection and betterment of Cauldron. Even the nobles and well-to-do such as myself are doing our part."


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant highlights the Mayor's interest in Aralynn with a wave and a flourish.

"Ah yes, let me introduce Aralynn, Harbinger of St. Cuthbert and loyal servant of the Cudgel. She is aiding us in our struggles against both the foes of Cauldron but also against chaos and ignorance. She is blessed us repeatedly with her wisdom."

Dyrant gives Aralynn a nod and a smile before moving to some more pointed questions for the Mayor and Lord Vhalantru.

"You both have been so busy recently. Certainly, the danger is great if you have raised taxes and hired more mercenaries? Can you tell us what you suspect or how we may aid you in these efforts? Surely Cauldron has had threats before...what has changed?"


Lord Vhalantru speaks up first. "I have only lived here for 15 years, but I would believe it fair to say that the threats Cauldron has faced are unlike those seen for decades. It's been a century since the dragon Hookface ravaged the lands and almost as long since Jzadirune was lost."

The Lord Mayor pipes in, "As I said, I have never seen anything like this before. I see now that I had grown too comfortable in our protected city and forgotten what lies just outside and just below us. I would be a fool to let the hard work and legacy of my family to falter."

"Unfortunately, I fear our worst enemy might be ourselves at this point. There is an organization called the Chisel, a group of merchants and artisans, that seeks to upset the balance and usurp my authority. We are just beginning to rebuild and I will not allow them to ruin this fair city."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"What grievance has the Chisel brought against you? I should think that you have done a fine job of addressing the recent crises, with help from allies. Even the recent spate of kidnappings surely has some reasonable solution that need not drain the city's coffers...?"


The mayor takes a long drink of his wine before continuing. "They seek to replace Captain Skellerang. They have sent a letter invoking an anicent law known as the Old Law of Peers. This law allows the descendants of the five founding fathers to challenge the captain of the guard if they believe his behavior to be unworthy or immoral."

The mayor calls for dessert as the discussions continue. "It is not just the kidnappings. Until Lord Vhalantru so generously donated funds for the town hall, for the gate Finneas worked to build, for the lake pavillion, this city was already in need of repairs. Now there has been the flooding and the umber hulk. Every time you or the Stormblades explore, our eyes are opened to the dangers just beyond our walls."

Lord Vhalantru continues where the mayor ends, "I had hoped my generosity would be enough of an example to motivate the other nobles, but sadly that has not been the case. They hold onto their gold more tightly than their children. But this city belongs to everyone and everyone must contribute. Heroes, builders, workers, supplies and materials are not without cost. Dr. Toffitt, you yourself once appealed to us for funds. We have none to provide yet, but perhaps once the city has been repaired. Unfortunately, many of those repairs cannot be begun for another month or two once the rains have subsided."


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:

Dyrant highlights the Mayor's interest in Aralynn with a wave and a flourish.

"Ah yes, let me introduce Aralynn, Harbinger of St. Cuthbert and loyal servant of the Cudgel. She is aiding us in our struggles against both the foes of Cauldron but also against chaos and ignorance. She is blessed us repeatedly with her wisdom."

"She? It's alive?" The mayor waves politely. "Good evening, miss. Can my servants bring you anything to um, eat?"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt observes closely the dynamic between Vhalantru and the Lord Mayor. With one holding the purse strings, who is really in charge here? Sense Motive 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 12 + 2 = 26

"I certainly agree that all must contribute according to their capacity. I would hope for a level of taxation that does not interfere with commerce in general. I fear that some whose enterprises are small are being forced to surrender the very equipment they need to continue their businesses."

Toffitt sips a bit of wine. "But I am not without my own interest in this matter, milords. A partner in my own recently opened chirurgeon's clinic was forced to surrender our medicinal supplies. Alas, I was away and unable to negotiate the matter. I fear some of our patients may suffer as a result."

He attempts to give a reassuring look. "Please don't take my words the wrong way. As ever, I wish to be a partner in Cauldron's wellbeing. I do not mean to disrespect your efforts. These half-orc guards for instance—certainly additional men at arms are helpful in these times, and they seem stalwart. Where did you find them?" He looks at Vhalantru as he asks this last question.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant nearly spits up his food as he listens to the Mayor and Vhalantru speak.

How did these people get elected? How do they keep their jobs with this level of incompetence?

"I'm sorry, Mayor, but maybe I misunderstood. But did you just say that the Chisel is a threat because they have evoked a the Law of Peers, a rightful city law? And that is the reason they must be destroyed? TRULY?"

Dyrant puts down his dessert spoon and looks to the Mayor to clarify.

"If the Chisel is evoking a rightful challenge then it is your duty to honor it as the law decrees...if you do not like the law, then change it, but to raise taxes to go to destroy those who would exercise their rights will not sit well with me or the Church of St. Cuthbert."

* * *
Dyrant looks at Aralynn, confused.

"Yeah, Aralynn, what do you eat? I've never seen you eat..."

Dyrant doesn't have an answer to what Archons eat.


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Finneas shrugs and continues to shovel food into his mouth.

The strong rule.
Fifth: Kord.


Toffitt gets the sense that the mayor sees Vhalantru as a trusted advisor. There is some deference to him, but the mayor does speak for himself.

"I am sorry to hear about your supplies, doctor. I will have someone look into the matter and have them returned to you forthwith. We might not be able to compensate you, but we can at least not add to your expenses."

Lord Vhalantru answers the doctor's other inquiry. "The half-orcs were recruited from Sasserine. Cauldron itself does not have enough people to staff the guard. And, sometimes it is easier for people from outside to handle difficult situations. It is quite difficult to go to your neighbor to collect his taxes."

---

The mayor tries to calm down Dyrant, "You know the Captain. These allegations can be nothing but false. In fact, they have not specified what they are. They are saving it for a public forum I'm sure. They will defame Captain Skellerang and leave him no opportunity to defend himself. Then the real challenge will occur and he will have to give up or surely be killed."


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
"If the Chisel is evoking a rightful challenge then it is your duty to honor it as the law decrees...if you do not like the law, then change it, but to raise taxes to go to destroy those who would exercise their rights will not sit well with me or the Church of St. Cuthbert."

The mayor finishes his glass of wine and pushes away from the table.

"Well it is already obvious it does not sit well with your church considering your paladin is their champion."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt listens to Dyrant's response and nods. He then listens to the nobles' rebuttal and shakes his head. Then gets a rather shocked look on his face as they mention Cuthbert's paladin.

"Odd. I had assumed that the existing guard was made up of Cauldron's citizens. Does that make them unable to enforce the laws? I fear that bringing in outside forces—especially from another sovereign city-state—will enflame public ire even more."

He raises his hand in a peaceable way. "I daresay I agree with Pastor Maynor. If the people feel the taxes to be onerous, it is only natural that they will use what legal methods they can to seek recourse. If they have no legal recourse, things can only escalate."

"As I see it, you have two options: listen to the people's frustrations and ease the tax burden for those least able to pay, or find a way to let the Law of Peers move forward without risking Skellerang's life. The latter option might spare Skellerang's life and temporarily mollify the people, but I doubt it will be a sufficient solution in the long run.

"This current solution, though... It's unwise, and will lead to unrest. I doubt that you wish your legacy to include widespread harm to your subjects."

"In any case, I mention my own business as but an example. Why should one citizen receive greater lenience than any other? I do not seek such an arrangement."

"As for Cuthbert's paladin... I can see how you might feel about that, Lord Mayor. The Church of St. Cuthbert is renowned for upholding the law. For its leaders to stand against milord's policy would seem to undercut your position. All the more reason to take a step back and reconsider."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
GM_Chris wrote:
"Well it is already obvious it does not sit well with your church considering your paladin is their champion."

Atol lifts his head from his trough. We're opposing the Captain of the Guard? What?

Atol's digestion takes a turn for the worse, and he eases up his consumption. Nervousness instead fills his belly and he looks for a way to leave the meeting.

I don't want to know anymore. I must speak with the church and get the truth. I trust not these politicians.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant huffs and fumes until the Mayor's point about the a Cuthbertine Champion leaves him flummoxed.

"What? The Champion is a Cuthbertine? I had no idea. Is the Church is allied with the Chisel? And why would you risk civil war by making war on the Chisel rather than working peacefully through the Church? No true paladin would ignore a holy order to stand down." Dyrant seems very confused by this new information.

"Do you know, perchance, the name of this champion? Or what, in particular, his gripe is with the Captain?" Outside of his blistering incompetence?

Dyrant gets back on track after few moments of silence.

"Still again, Mayor, you have not answered the question: What has the Chisel done that would warrant a denial of their right to the Law of Peers? Why is it wrong for them to exercise their lawful will? Allegations or not, why would you choose this path?"


The mayor's voice rises a bit as tension grows.

"The existing guard is made up of Cauldron's citizens. The half-orcs are assisting them. They are not from any particular city state and have no other loyalties. And, let's be frank, they are more suited for any fighting than the town's guard."

"I'm sorry the citizens are upset, but they will come to see all this serves the greater good. Spring will come and we will rebuild. By summer all should be normal again. Perhaps by the next flood festival we can also celebrate an end to the taxes."

Lord Vhalantru addresses Dyrant, "You had no idea that Alek Tercival was their champion? Interesting."

"I do not know if the Church is allied with the Chisel. That seems like information that two of his priests should know. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps they were misguided. If he has not been authorized by the church will you tell him to 'stand down'?"

"As the mayor said, we are not sure what accusations they will throw at the good captain."

"While we have yet been able to fully prove it, there is much smoke that surrounds Maavu and he has yet to come forward and answer any questions. His assisant, Geleth, runs his operations for now and we would not want to put honest people out of a job. And there have been other accusations, but I'm afraid we are unwilling to share those yet, even with you who have given so much to this city."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"Alek Tercival? Wasn't he the paladin that could crush nuts with his bare hands? Or was that dice? Bones maybe? I'd like to meet him. Either way, if a paladin of Cuthbert is their Champion can the Chisel possibly be wrong?"

What does Cuthbert have to do with the kidnappings? Weren't we supposed to research those?

Finneas casts about for a scroll to wipe the thinking off his forehead.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"There will be no celebration next flood season if outside mercenaries have bloodied their swords on the people of Cauldron. Have you heard the sentiment on the street? People's misery is palpable."

Toffitt mentally throws up his arms. They have chosen their position, and are digging in. "Milord Mayor, I take you for an honorable man who desires only the best for Cauldron. I would help you find an alternative to this suffering, if you are open to other ideas."


"Perhaps if he was a paladin of Kord." Lord Vhalntru tries joking with Finneas. "Paladins are not perfect. Their vision can be clouded. Their senses deceived. Who knows what the Chisel has told him."

The mayor stands up. "Bloodied their swords on the people of Caulrdon? I'm sure your companion would take exception to such a view of his fellows."

"I do not think we will be able to reach agreement this night. I assure you that I am working in the best interests of my city. My family has led this city for almost two centuries. Their wisdom is mine and I assure you such extreme measures were not taken lightly."

"I bid you goodnight. Thank you for joining me for dinner and sharing your concerns. If I think of some way in which you can serve the city, I will be sure to contact you immediately. In the meantime, I just ask you to keep an eye out for trouble. I'm sure I can still count on your aid despite our differing views."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)
GM_Chris wrote:
"...I'm sure I can still count on your aid despite our differing views."

Atol stands, "Lord Mayor, you can always count on the Cauldron Five to do what's right for the city. We may disagree on the finer points, but Cauldron is our home."

Atol, glad the meal is over before everyone started shouting, works his way out to the street.

He shakes his head. "Doctor Toffitt, why did you bait the Mayor so - suggesting that the mercenaries were going to turn on the populace. Folks are a little disgruntled about the taxes surely, but I see NO evidence of an uprising. I don't know where you get your ideas."

Atol sighs and walks back to the house. He prays long and fervently that night for a clue, but finding none goes to sleep anyway.

The next day, after prayers, he suggests the party go meet with the Paladin of St. Cuthbert to see what the opposition of the guard captain has to say.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Simple, Atol. When people can ill afford food and shelter, their actions become desperate. Surely you could understand the desperation brought on by hunger...?"

"In any case, I do believe the mayor means well, however foolish he is being. He's got a viper whispering in his ear..." Toffitt considers. "I would pay Geleth a visit. She and I have had friendly enough relations. Perhaps I can take her measure." Though it is late, he does indeed seek her out. "Any of you are welcome to join me."


Maavu's warehouses are closed and the guards are of little help to Toffitt no matter how charming he might be. He can ask around for Geleth's residence or wait until the morning.


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

Atol still thinks the good Doctor is over-reacting. He does not see starvation in the streets, just a little more complaining by the populace.

Sure, maybe the taxes are a bit too steep, but that's no reason to be so rude to the mayor.

Is it?

Atol skips the Geleth visit, "I'm sorry my friend, I've had enough for today. You go on and lean what can be learned."

Atol continues with his prior plan.


M Steinneblin (Rock Gnome) Paladin 13/Cavalier 1

Glimmil sits about and enjoys the meal while the more talkative of the tall-folk do the most talking (those being Dyrant, Toffitt and the political-men).

His ears perk up when he hears paladin or dragon or other words that stand out from the rest of the extremelylongrunonsentencesaboutthisandthat.

Once outside, he offers his thoughts to the others of the Cauldron Five.

"Maybe we can talk to the Chisel? If the mayor's doing all that stuff he's doing for good, and the captain's really a good guy, they'll come to see it for being good? We can ask, I mean, after all - we're the Cauldron Five, right?"

Glimmil wants to talk to the Chisel on the next day if possible. He'll ask Skie, the Cobwaddles, Maavu, or anyone else he can think of to find someone official who will listen to him.


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Let us hope, Glimmil. Geleth, Maavu's number two, might be a good place to start."

Toffitt let's it rest for the night. In the morning, he does seek out Geleth's address.

Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
Gather Info 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class
GM_Chris wrote:

Lord Vhalantru addresses Dyrant, "You had no idea that Alek Tercival was their champion? Interesting."

"I do not know if the Church is allied with the Chisel. That seems like information that two of his priests should know. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps they were misguided. If he has not been authorized by the church will you tell him to 'stand down'?"

"As the mayor said, we are not sure what accusations they will throw at the good captain."

Dyrant nods at these words, finally seeing a *small* portion of where they are coming from, yet still thinking they are completely ridiculous.

Keeping his mouth shut, he tries to temper the silliness of their actions with the potential threat they face.

It does not matter the validity of their accusations...such is not the law. They have right of challenge. That is not reason to make war.

Why would you not talk to the Church first before raising taxes to see if there was a solution there first?

Why would you challenge the Church at all?

What possible evidence would you have that would allow you make war but not strong enough to share?

This stinks more than Finn after one of his floor hugs.

Dyrant makes polite as he leaves the Manor, trying to keep up decent relations despite the amount of lies, misdirection, and untruth revealed during the dinner.

* * *

Dyrant will return to the honeycomb hideout to ponder, speaking with Aralynn about her observations.

"Atol, on the morning, we should go speak with Jenya. Perhaps she can call Alex into meeting so we can discuss things."


"He what?! The Chisel? Aren't they just some merchants association? Start from the beginning."

Jenya does not take the news of Alek well. She takes deep breaths as Dyrant explains it at length again.

"So where exactly is he because I haven't seen him in months? When is this challenge supposed to occur?"

She paces the tapping her cudgel against her thigh, "When I do find Alek he better have a good explanation."

Assuming you share Aralynn's commune answers.

"This is very sad. Lord Vhalantru has been a beacon of hope for this city for a while now. The lack of funding for the wands from the other churches is just one of many examples of the selfishness that pervades this city. The Church gladly paid the additional taxes comforted by the knowledge that others were contributing finally. I thought they might be saving up for more wands for next year or something more permanent."


In the morning, Toffitt finds Geleth at Maavu's warehouses. He's initially stopped by guards at the door, but one does take the time to carry your name inside. A few minutes later Geleth greets you and invites you into her office.

"It is good to see you, Doctor? How goes your practice? I hear you and your friends killed a couple dragons. I know your friends sell to Skie--that's a nice piece of work she put up for you on her wall--but if you ever feel like a change of pace or need to buy or something truly exotic, let me know. We have contacts throughout the world and I'd be happy to get you a good deal. We could discuss it over dinner."


Not particularly on guard for anything, Glimmil is surprised when Ellywinkle catches him in a hug from behind.

"Glimmil! It's so good to see you!"

She bounces around him like a festival pole, never letting go of his neck. "Jzadirune is doing so well. Well, it was until the taxes went up. But the mayor says it won't be forever. But I droppped the prices and people came back. Well, most of them did. And, and, and no one's disappeared yet. Phew!"

"You should come by. A little star power should keep the people coming in."

"Two dragons now? That's the word on the street. You should wear some dragon armor. Of course it wouldn't be so shiny and I know how you like shiny things."

Elly smiles a big smile of pearl white teeth and brings them close to Glimmil. She closes her eyes, her lips and leans in towards Glimmil.


"Today, Finneas. You wrestle with me."

It's clearly not an offer or a request as Asfelkir leads Finneas to the ring.

"You have wrestled with death and I would learn what it has taught you."


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

Toffitt will have imbibed extracts of heroism and perceive cues (+5 Perception & Sense Motive) just prior to approaching the warehouse. He also applies a charge of See Invisibility from the wand (bringing it to 10 charges).

Status:

Active effects/conditions none

Init +6 Perception +20 Sense Motive +19
AC 20 (14 touch; 16 flat-footed; uncanny dodge; +1 dodge for crowd control)
CMB +9 CMD 21
HP 55/55
Fort +11 Reflex +12 Will +8 (+2 v. enchant)
Weapon Equipped Dueling blade
Shield Equipped none
Mutagen READY (+4 Dex, +2 AC, -2 Wis, 50 minute duration)
Elixirs
1 Shield (Finneas)
- Shield
- Cure light wounds
- Expeditious retreat
- open
2 Alchemical allocation
- Alchemical allocation
- Barkskin (Finneas)
- Perceive cues ACTIVE
3 Haste
- Heroism ACTIVE
Controlled Rage 0 of 5 rounds used
Healing touch 0hp of 35hp used
Slippers of spider climbing 0 of 10 min. used
Wand of Shield 25 charges
Wand of See Invisibility 10 charges

"I'm most pleased to see you as well, Geleth. Please, call me Abner." Toffitt gestures to a chair, asking for permission to sit.

"Alas, I have more grave reasons for being here than my own consumption habits. Indeed, I am not certain I will have any money left to buy even rice once the city's done with its taxes. I have heard tell that the Chisel stands against these taxes, and intends to hold Captain Skellerang to account. Is that true? What can you tell me?"

During their conversation, Toffitt glances around the room and at Geleth, looking for hints of things amiss.

Perception 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 13 + 2 + 5 = 32
Sense Motive 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 26


"The Chisel? Hmmm. Well they are a merchants association and you know us merchants are always against the taxes cutting into our profits. That would be an extreme measure though to challenge the Captain."

1d20 ⇒ 5+ ?


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"I should think there's little profit in letting the city's buildings and streets crumble. Some taxes are necessary. This heroes' tax, though... It's creating nothing but trouble."

Toffitt thrums his fingertips on the desk. "Let me be blunt. I have shared my concerns with the Lord Mayor and Lord Vhalantru. They've asked my companions and me to keep our noses out of it. I find this new tax and its affect on my clients unfortunate, but I would hear all sides of the situation before making up my mind or casting my lot. What have you to say? And if you cannot say, where is Maavu? Redforge?"

He observes closely her response, especially to the mention of Redforge.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 31

Are there any papers lying about from which a very high perception might glean some information?


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Finneas nods and moves into the ring with Asfelkir. Oil and sweat shine from his muscles as he stretches out and prepares.

I will receive no quarter. Let Kord guide my hand.

CMD 21 w/o Ring of Prot +2, CMB +10


Asfelkir takes off his belt and rings and enters the ring. Finneas and Asfelkir nod at each other and begin to circle. Finneas makes the first attempt at a grapple, but misses. Asfelkir catches Finneas and gets his arms around Finneas's neck.

Finneas quickly steps forward and takes down Asfelkir with a sweep of his leg. Asfelkir rolls with it though and ends up on top of Finneas. A quick pop of his hips and Finneas scoops Asfelkir over his head and rolls on top of Asfelkir as he is still on his knees.

Asfelkir pauses, a bit surprised at the turn of events and Finneas takes advantage. Finneas slips one leg over Asfelkir's head and one over his chest and rolls back while holding onto Asfelkir's arm. Finneas pulls the arm bar tight and Asfelkir strains against it, but quickly taps out.

"Death has taught you something at least."

Rolls:

Not sure why I'm surprised, but wasn't actually looking for roll-playing.
Initiative
1d20 ⇒ 8 - Asfelkir
1d20 ⇒ 18 - Finneas

Round 1
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13 - Finneas misses
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25 - Asfelkir grapples
Round 2
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25 - Finneas takes grapple
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 - Asfelkir takes grapple
3
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 - Finneas takes grapple
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14 - Asfelkir fails
4
1d20 + 10 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 10 + 5 = 22 - Finneas pins


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:
He observes closely her response, especially to the mention of Redforge.

Nothing of interest out in the open.

1d20 ⇒ 10 + ?

Geleth remains calm, but does twitch a bit at the mention of Redforge.

"It is good to hear there are rational people willing to listen to reason in this town. I'm a business woman. Keeping track of things is essential in the import/export business. Since these new taxes have begun, I haven't been able to track anything. Nothing at all--except for the half-orcs."

"What do I mean? There have been no orders for building materials to repair the damage. Not through our business or any of the smaller importers. No workers have been hired. Not even any project managers or engineers. Nothing. The only new expense the city is paying for that I can see is the half-orcs. And, given what I know of caravan guards and other mercaneries, paying them is but a small fraction of what is being collected."

"Things are rotten here in Cauldron and it is time for a change. It will happen soon. I hope you and your friends see that."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

Yeah wasn't sure how you wanted to run it but obviously I'm not unhappy with the result. :D Plus your martial arts experience is more recent and extensive than mine so the combat flows naturally.

Finneas is also surprised, but quickly releases Asfelkir before stepping back and waiting for him to stand.

"Death has taught me many things. It has taught me how weak I am, that I will eventually break as all flesh does. But it has also taught me Kord does not care that I climb a mountain and fall seven times, as long as I climb it eight."

Finneas moves back to the starting position.

"Again?"


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

"Yes, the rumor is out that the Chisel is mustering in Redforge. Does that surprise you?"

Toffitt pauses. Well, she doesn't have the tattoo on her face. That's a good sign.

"Anyway, my friends and I have good reason to believe that the Lord Mayor acts with good intent. I have the sense that Skellerang is also a decent man, although not with the same... absolute certainty that I do with the mayor. However, that does not mean their vision is clear in these matters."

"What do you know of Lord Vhalantru? Were you aware that he's promised funds for rebuilding the city?"

More Sense Motive if necessary. 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 32


Half-Elf Barbarian (Urban Barbarian) 1, Alchemist (Internal Alchemist, Vivisectionist) 14
Stats:
Init +12 | Per 22* | F +17* R +19* W +9* | AC 35* (t20* f27* i22*) +1 crwd | CMD 33 | *many buffs

If you wish to handwave, Toffitt is basically trying to get Geleth to give up some extra bit of information about Maavu and the Chisel's intentions, while trying to set himself up in a neutral but sympathetic role.


Stats:
F14:R16:W16 (+2);K(Arc)23;K(Dun)12;K(Hist)16;K(Loc)22;K(Nat)22;K(Pln)27;K(Rel)22;Perc 25;SMot 20;Spllcft 26;UMD 18
Cuthbertist 15 - Bludgeoner First Class

Dyrant smiles at Jenya, but shakes his head.

"I do not know where he is, nor even that we had many like Alex in St. Cuthbert's service. I have only heard about this challenge yesterday. What do you know about the Law of Peers?" Dyrant asks politely.

"The concern for me is not that Alex is providing lawful challenge, but why the Mayor and Vhalantru would take this aggressive and escalating response to it. Does it make any sense to you that they hire mercenaries and raise taxes to respond to the Chisel? Or because they worry about Alex? Why is it that you have not been brought into counsel with them? Why have you not been asked to intervene rather than the rush to arms? So many unanswered questions."

Dyrant ponders more.

"Do you have a way to call Alex? Summon him? Perhaps send word to all the sub-ministries and diocese to ask our parishioners for help in getting the word to him?"

Dyrant pauses.

"You know and I know Jenya that the law of St. Cuthbert comes first, then the law of Community...we cannot be neutral in this. Alex's right of challenge must be honored. If they wish to change the law is one matter, but ignoring it or going to war over it is another matter."


Finneas Glenn wrote:
"Again?"

"Yes."

Finneas and Asfelkir spend the next couple hours wrestling and then sparring with weapons. Asfelkir sends away many flustered acolytes with "important business that must be attended to," but he will hear none of them. They give up after a while, but one dares to enter much later with drinks and food. "Will you take lunch, sir?"

"Thank you, Finneas. It has been a good morning of ignoring the rest of the world, but duty forever calls. Dine with me and then we will return to our 'normal' lives. Kord clearly favors you and the path you have chosen."


Doctor Abner Svengalu Toffitt wrote:

"Yes, the rumor is out that the Chisel is mustering in Redforge. Does that surprise you?"

"What do you know of Lord Vhalantru? Were you aware that he's promised funds for rebuilding the city?"

"Yes, rumors. Mustering is rather a strong word though. They have no army of which I am aware. They are mustering their money and connections. Their speakers and lawyers. The only blood spilt will be that of the Captain if he's foolish enough to not step aside."

"Lord Vhalantru has been a regular contributor to the city since his arrival. He has contributed greatly to the renovating of City Hall, the gates, and the lake pavillion. I find it hard to believe he wishes the city ill. However, I do know the mayor values his counsel greatly. And, as I said, I have no idea where all the money is going at this time. Perhaps the rumors are true that there is some artifact or other item that will prevent the floods. Such an item would cost a fortune. The wands we've used in years past are a small fortune unto themselves."

"As for Maavu, I'm sure who will return shortly to answer any baseless charges they bring against him."


Dyrant Maynor, the Pre-Sainted wrote:
Dyrant smiles at Jenya, but shakes his head.

"The Law of Peers is real. Supposedly a safeguard against corruption, but I have not heard of it being used in centuries. While I am not a supporter of such challenges of phsycial prowess, it is the law."

"It does not surprise me that neither the mayor nor otherse have sought our counsel. Our wisdom it often too tinged with concern for lowliest of the citizens as far as they are concerned."

"I have no way to reach Alek. I will send word to the surrounding churches and hopefully they will send back news. It is extremely odd though that he would accept the role of champion for a cause without at least consulting with me or another one of the church leaders. Paladins can be head strong, but Cauldron is his home and it seems he would have at least come here first."

"If you come across him, please inquire about the situation and express my desire to meet with him."


|| Per +18 | Fort +13 Ref +8 Will +13 | BAB +12 | CMB +17 | CMD 29 || Init +7 Half-Orc (Smoking Eye) Oracle of Battle/Barbarian (Armored Hulk)/Rage Prophet/Chevalier 4/3/5/3

"Thank you Father. That...that means everything to me."

Female: I'm still retching over that mountain comment.
Male: Silence!

**********************************

Back at the Lair of the Cauldron Five

"My friends, there's something I have to ask, and it's not easy. I have a problem. It's not serious, but it's something I don't like talking about and I don't like doing it. Can...can any of you spare some money? I would like to have my sword enchanted with the favor of Kord, as my path is now clear to me, but I lack all the funds for the sacred ung...ungu... unguents...necessary for the ritual."


Male Human (Per +6 | Fort +16 Ref +11 Will +21 | AC 29 (f28/t15) | CMD 20)

"I am sorry indeed Finneas, but I've just sunk all my cash into my new phylactry. Had I any to spare, it would most surely be yours for the asking!"

8,301 to 8,350 of 13,620 << first < prev | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shackled City (Pathfinder) - GM_Chris All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.