Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


151 to 200 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Corbrius shakes his head in bemusement at the loud angry halfling. Well, it's kind of like he says. Except with all that fun stuff. There's people who'll come looking for us in two, three weeks when we don't show. We just need to live that long. And the more hands the better. If everyone helps out we might all live through this. That's what we all want now, ain't it?

Sitting down Corb digs through his back and comes out with three trail ration packs and a crowbar. The food he separates into equal portions and shares it around. This ain't much, but it's all I've got and it'll keep us going for now. Long enough for Nim to find us more, at least. He hands an empty waterskin to Nim before he goes to help bring back more.

Since the others seem to be in agreement, he goes over to Jask with the crowbar. This ain't no time to be picky. We set you free and you'll pitch in, right? If you decide you like it here, when the ship comes we'll lie and say you're dead. If you'd rather be rescued too I'll put in a good word with whoever I can that you helped us out. Sound fair? If the man agrees Corb will apply the crowbar to try and snap the manacle chain and restore some freedom of movement to him.

That done he looks around at the others. Now who ended up with that map? Might be it'll show us somewhere we can make refuge in.


Nora has spent some time looking over everyone, checking wounds, and she is frowning alot, though she ducks her head up as the conversation on survival and what is to be done comes around.

She starts with the most immediate problem, the freeing of Jask, and doesn't voice any objections "He's one of the least injured, and we can really be that picky at the moment, though I for one would like to know exactly why you were chained up on the ship in the first place..."

She listens to the others as she goes through figuring out what she has and what's of use before voicing her own opinion, trying to see if some sort of sense can be made. "Alot of you are poisoned, and frankly I'd like to keep those of you who are close by to see what kind of track it takes. Most of you seem stable at the moment, but this is a lethal poison, if it continues you'll likely die, and it's already making many of you more vulnerable. With some treatment and water and rest I think most of you would be good in a day, two at the most, and I'll try and tend as best I can."

She routes around and pulls out both the map they got from their former leader, and the one she picked up from Cheliax, not sure if or how either of them will be useful. "I'm not sure, Anton, Nim... did either of you see a good position within the forest to camp? I mean that was what we were looking for originally anyways wasn't it? If so we should move there. Otherwise I'd say stay here for now. I don't like having the beach on one side of us, but realistically it's better than being surrounded by a jungle where something could sneak up on us before we even know what's happening.

She taps her bag "So what I think is this. If we can get to a good camp spot we move there now and set up. Anton and Nim, maybee one or two others should forage for food while the rest of us put together the best sort of defensive camp we can.


You know some things about each of them from your time with them on the ship:

Aerys - she appeared to have no weapons other than a bow, which she no longer has. She did seem to be pretty good with her fists though. She is wearing studded leather.
Gelik - seems to be more of a story teller, probably a bard. He has no armor or weapons currently.
Ishirou - he was weilding a Rapier before this and has a chain shirt on.
Jask - You don't have any idea of his background or skills.
Sasha - she has a chain shirt on and appeared to be a two weapon fighting type.

None of them volunteer to help with the shelter or hunt. Gelik complains of being too weak and the others seem to jump on this as an excuse to wallow in their own misery.

For breaking the chain I need a strength check, miss by 5 or more and you can't re-try.


Corb gets Jask to lay the chain over a rock, wedges the end of the crowbar into the chain, and does his best to lever and twist it apart. When I lean down on it, you try holding it straight and pull. Sadly between his injury and the thin breakfast his efforts lack strength.

Hoping he can Aid in the check. Str check of 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen pulls Nora aside, going to a distant spot on the beach. If any others of Larissia's team follow, he won't stop them, but he won't say these things if any of the other five follow.

Nora, these people aren't responding to Anton's call to action, fine as though it was. Personally, I am all for abandoning them and moving on, just those of us from Larissia's mission. But if we are going to stay, we need them to work for our mutual survival. Perhaps you can talk to each of them and see what it would take to get them past this melancholy. Perhaps under the pretense of checking them for the diseases so rampant in this region.

At that he pauses, then says That being said, that may not be a bad idea. Perhaps you should check all of us each day to see if there are any early signs of early illness to catch it early and make it easier to combat.


Nora nods to Tragershen as he half pulls her aside. She listens to what he says and tries to keep her voice down as she says "We can't abandon them! They've just suffered a shock and frankly, while Ishirou and Aerys aren't that bad laid up, Sasha and Gelik aren't acting. They are both seriously damaged by this poison, frankly a serious wound of any kind might bring either one of them down.

She nods to the rest of what he says. "I'll see what I can do, if Corbrius get's Jask free that's a good start, I think he'll probably aid in just for being set free and frankly that might spur on the others. I'll see what I can do, once the nature types figure out if we're staying here or moving on... frankly I think it might be best if we had specific tasks to tell them to do, that'll get them moving at least. If the poison has abated I think most of them will be pretty good by tomorrow, the day after at the latest


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:

Do you wish to try and start on a shelter here on the beach or somewhere else?

Need a survival check for foraging
Need a survival check for shelter

Let me know if you are rolling yourself or assisting.

Nim seems to pull edibles out of the jungle like magic. Feeling a challenge, Anton does his best to meet it, instead of taking the easy and sure route. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 He ends up doing about the same as he'd expect: just enough to feed himself and two others if they were traveling at the same time, more otherwise.

Of course, they also need to find a safe spot for their home base. Most seem to not want to move much for now, but Anton's hating the beach due to how quickly something could move up out of the opaque surf, so he focuses on both sides of the boundary with the jungle, as well as the cliffs. A cave too high for non-climbing creatures, but not too high for a humanoid with a rope, would be awesome. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 He can't find anything. Oops, forgot to take 10.

Sasha aka DM Stephen wrote:
Give me that extra rapier! I need something to defend myself with...

Anton looks her in the eye. Sasha, we've spent enough time together to know that Ishirou favors the rapier. Here, I have a trident that I chose for its usefulness against aquatics. He pulls it out. I hate to give it up and it's a bit small for you -- light enough to be off-hand, hopefully we can find you something else bigger -- but I can make do without, and I'd rather have you armed at my back than not. He looks at his longtime ally and smiles ruefully, bidding farewell, then offers it to the aggressive woman.

Tragershen wrote:
In a pensive moment, Tragershen remarks I recall that there were two wrecks along the shoreline not far from here. One to the east and one to the west. I don’t know how long it would take to work our way around those cliffs and get to them, but if we do, we might find some useful supplies. Maybe even intact barrels of food. Perhaps some of us should go and see if we can make our way to them. Looking around the camp, he says There is, what, ten of us? Perhaps if half go to find useful gear and the other half stay to watch and work on the campsite?

That sounds very practical. As I love exploring, I'd rather go than stay.

Nora Kettlesmith wrote:
She routes around and pulls out both the map they got from their former leader, and the one she picked up from Cheliax, not sure if or how either of them will be useful.

As far as I can tell, I ended up with Larissia's map and wayfinder, and then no one else wanted my mundane compass. I'll respond to the rest when I can.

Corbrius Jank wrote:
Corb gets Jask to lay the chain over a rock, wedges the end of the crowbar into the chain, and does his best to lever and twist it apart. When I lean down on it, you try holding it straight and pull. Sadly between his injury and the thin breakfast his efforts lack strength.

Anton looks positively cheerful. Well, I guess I know our decision, so here we go! Ever the optimist (and a former slave), Anton is happy to set his skepticism aside and attempt to free a prisoner. 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 1 + 2 = 21 And so he does.


The first day is a busy one:

Nora tends to wounds most of the day. I assume you try to raise their spirits while you talk to them? Taking a 10 on diplomacy isn't good enough to modify their attitude so you will have to roll. Their starting attitude is unfriendly.

Anton and Nim spend the day foraging and Anton looks for shelter while he is doing that. You find that the animals of the jungle are wily enough so that you are able to find food for tonight and most of tomorrow but shelter eludes you. You use Nora's canvas to rig up something makeshift.

Corbius and Tragershen, what do you plan to do?

Anton tries to free jask by picking the lock, even though the lock is of avergae quality he is not able to open it. You didn't fail by more than 4 so you can try again, but you might want to remove your armor and get help :)
Your sharp eyes do notice that Ishirou does seem to pay particular attention to you.

He seems to be appreciative of the help though. Diplomacy check for Jask today has a +2 circumstance bonus.

DM Only:
Tragershen 1d3 ⇒ 3
Encounter chance noon 1d100 ⇒ 98
Encounter chance dusk 1d100 ⇒ 40
Encounter chance midnight 1d100 ⇒ 87
Disease chance Nim 1d100 ⇒ 57
Disease chance Anton 1d100 ⇒ 29
Disease chance Nora 1d100 ⇒ 33
Disease chance Tragershen 1d100 ⇒ 37
Disease chance Corbrius 1d100 ⇒ 93
Disease chance Aerys 1d100 ⇒ 23 1d4 ⇒ 4
Sleeping sickness onset 1d2 ⇒ 2 days
Disease chance Gelik 1d100 ⇒ 57
Disease chance Ishirou 1d100 ⇒ 53
Disease chance Jask 1d100 ⇒ 71
Disease chance Sasha 1d100 ⇒ 67

The entire day passes without incident, you feel pretty lucky at this point. You have water, enough food to last you through lunch tomorrow for everyone, and nothing attacks you today.

What is your watch order, I don't think you formally assigned one, assume you want to set a watch?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

If Nim can do both at the same time, as Anton did, Nim will also search for a suitable camp location while he forages... taking 10 for a result of 19.


No, you can only do one or the other. There isn't much here to work with as far as shelter so it will probably take time and have to be constructed. It takes you the rest of the day to hunt for the group.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:

Anton tries to free jask by picking the lock, even though the lock is of avergae quality he is not able to open it. You didn't fail by more than 4 so you can try again, but you might want to remove your armor and get help :)

Your sharp eyes do notice that Ishirou does seem to pay particular attention to you.

He seems to be appreciative of the help though. Diplomacy check for Jask today has a +2 circumstance bonus.

Oh, I was picturing it as Anton stepping up to try it like Corbrius did, as long as he had the crowbar out. (That's what those mods were, Str and crowbar.) Should've looked up the break DC. Jask's chains laugh at his puny attempt, or maybe that's just the sound of metal on metal on rock. At any rate, they don't break, so Anton abandons the brute-force approach. "Don't worry, I've got this," he says confidently.

Taking off his armor and whipping out his lockpicks, Anton starts fiddling around with the lock. "If there are any other, um, locksmiths here, I wouldn't mind the help." It takes a couple of minutes of trying different approaches before he gets it right. Taking 20 for 28 -- I actually remembered to look at my options for once, and opening locks is a textbook example. 8) Finally, he finds the trick for that lock, and it clicks open.

Later in the day... "I can't find any good shelter. We're going to have to make our own. I'd like to be where we can watch for a ship, but I've fought sahuagin before, and I hate being so close to the shore. Perhaps we could build something at the top of one of those cliffs?" He points to where cliffs rise from the beach to both sides of the gentle slope that they've been using for jungle access. "As a bonus, we could rig a rope for quick escape rappelling down the cliff if our camp is overwhelmed. Being able to run, climb, *and* swim is a huge advantage over most other creatures."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Later in this very busy day, Anton will take Nora aside to speak privately, much as Tragershen did earlier. "I know that you have your hands full, but I think it's so important for us to have a proper funeral for Larissia that I'd even miss sleep for it -- and you know how much I love sleep!" He smiles wryly, and sighs.

"There's the practical consideration of her body attracting scavengers; and then just as important, if you could turn it into a service for grieving all of our losses? I think that would help us all move on -- including me, what with losing Clopper, my tomtoms, my scriptures, and a whole bunch of other stuff that would be really useful right now."

"If we follow that with giving them more, like how I gave Sasha my trident, then I think that would help with getting them thinking more about the future than the past. I have an extra compass as long as I'm using Larissia's wayfinder, and you probably don't need your belt pouch while you're using her backpack. I think it would make a difference."

Updated my gear.


When the shackles click open a grin comes to Jask's face for the first time since you have met him.

I am surprised you would blindly trust a man so chained. What if I was a murderer or an evil cleric of Rovagug?

He waits for a moment before continuing,
That is not the case though. You may not believe me but I am an innocent man! I was falsely imprisoned. Maybe one day I will tell you my story, but for now I can help around the camp.

If you have at least one rank in diplomacy:

You sense this may be an opportunity to get one of the castaways on your side, you think Jask may be telling you the truth and this may be as good an opportunity that you are going to get to win him over.


The rapier is mundane. In fact you recognize it as the one that the first mate Alton was carrying.
The potion is Remove Disease...showing my age... :)

The day ends and you decide to bury Larissia at the edge of the beach and jungle. It was an abrupt end to a women you really knew little about.
You forget for a moment that you are lost on a jungle island and soak up the beautiful beach, sunset, and waves crashing against it.
It's at that point that something occurs to Tragershen, a discussion you all had with Larissia.
"A good question...but in fact he is leaving us for two 10 days. As soon as he gets to Eleder he will notify the local Pathfinder guild that we were safely dropped off. If they don't hear from me within four 10 days they will use magic to locate us and send another ship."
No one is going to be looking for you or Larissia because the ship never made it to Eleder to notify the Pathfinder guild that you were ever dropped off the island...you may be here for a very long time...

Corbrius:

During the burial you feel sick to your stomach...you are about to talk to Nora to make sure you are not coming down with anything but the feeling ends as soon as she is buried and people have their say... its very odd.


As a point of order, our original purpose in going around the Island was finding a place to make camp, did we find one?

Nora sighs after Anton's mention of Larissa's body but she nods "Your probably right, I'll think of something..."

Nora will continue to minister to each of the people, meanwhile trying to draw them into participating in the building of camp or other smaller tasks, she'll take different tracks with everyone.

With Jask, the matter is easy, once freed Nora simply nods to him "Well at the moment what you did before really doesn't matter, frankly it's what you do right now that matters." Diplomacy Check 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 2 = 17

With the others she does what she can; Aerys and and Sasha she'll try and engage as the out-numbered women in this little group, while engaging in small talk and trying to suss out their respective strengths.Diplomacy checks of 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 and 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Ishirou will receive what treatment he needs and if nothing else, she'll ask him directly if he can get some fire-wood.Diplomacy check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Gelik she'll try to engage in conversation directly and see if he has any stories to tell, commenting that if he does, or has any songs, some-thing uplifting might help keep other peoples spirits up during the evening. Diplomacy check of 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Okay, so diplomacy checks all around, long-term care to the poisoned with take 10's, and finally...

"Though we now rest on these strange shores, we are where we have never been, but where Larissa led us. May Desna guide her on this, her greatest journey. She has left us, and we do well to remember her courage, and her vision, as we each face our own journeys. Our lives are made of meetings and partings, and this parting is one we all do well to mark. So we commend you, Larissa, to the beyond.


By the end of the day Sasha and Jask appear to make some contribution to the camp. The others try to appar to look busy while still getting very little done. You can tell they are all more frightened than you all as they were not planning to explore a haunted island.

As evening falls you start a small fire and feed yourselves on a couple of lizards and berries that Nim and Anton found. As darkness decends a strange thing occurs. Just out on the shoreline it begins to glow with a greenish radiance...you guess the rumors about i being haunted must be true!

DC 20 Knowledge Nature Check:

This eerie occurrence is a natural phenomenon caused by
phosphorescent algae and plankton in the water.


Look, the ghosts of the Island, they are rising! he says with genuine fear in his voice


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Strange lights, indeed. But I don't see any shapes forming of slain sailors coming at us. But let's keep a strong watch tonight, just in case.

I'm not sure what Tragershen can do to help in this situation. If he can use Knowledge Nature on foraging he would, but I think that is solely the domain of Survival. I guess he'll keep a watch, staying vigilant for any threat. He'll break from it long enough to offer aid another for anyone who needs it.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Looking at the strange green glow, the barefoot halfling tilts his head in thought. Knowledge/Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 Then he remembers this one boat trip where he and an older, adventuresome botanist whiled away the hours swapping stories. "Wait, I've heard of this. It looks weird, but it's caused by glowing algae and plankton in the water." He snaps his fingers. "Phosphorescence, that's what he called it. I've seen the same kind of thing underground; it's natural and perfectly harmless."

I think that you can retry identifying something once per day; and with your elven +2, you could probably take 10 on any potion. Survival can be used untrained, so you could probably take 10 to provide for yourself, if you wanted to. You could use your Craft/Alchemy skill if you had supplies; is it possible to forage for what you need? Other than that, there's just camp chores, then looking for those other wrecks tomorrow, and the manual labor of setting up a more permanent camp once we decide where we want it.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7
Anton Green wrote:
Some sound advice.

Thank you! Things I should have seen had I slowed down a little and read up a bit more.

If it is still an option, Tragershen will take 10 to forage for food. Embarrassed by having Anton identify the phenonmenon that he couldn't, he is more intent than ever on being useful.

If night comes and Tragershen hasn't used his bonded object ability to cast an additional spell from his spell book, he'll use it to cast Endure Elements on Anton, letting him know what he is doing, how it would help and why.

If the night passes quietly, he'll take another shot at identify the potion, taking his time (and a 10).


DM Only:

perception Nim 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
perception Anton 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
perception Nora 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
perception Tragershen 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
perception Corbrius 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Willpower Save Aerys 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Willpower Save Gelik1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Willpower Save Ishirou 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Willpower Save Jask 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Willpower Save Sasha 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

The night passes pretty much peacfully. Other than bad dreams about being chased by jungle beasts and the insects you wake up early the next morning not too worse for wear.

Anton:

With your keen eyes you do spots some figures out in the surf. You get closer to the water and you see ghostly shapes in the waves...they look human.
At one point it looks like one is beckoning to you to come out into the water...it chills you to the bone. This confirms Ishirou's fear, this island is in fact haunted....you decide it is probably better to say nothing to the castaways, it up to you if you say anything to the group once you are away from camp.

Nora:

You can try each day to try and sway some of the castaways to be more helpful with a Diplomacy check. You may want to see if anyone else has Diplomacy and can help.

The next morning though their is a few additional issues. Aerys seems to be sick..

DC 20 Heal check:

After looking at her, their is nothing wrong with her as far as an injury or disease but you do suspect something, you think she is suffering from withdrawals...you think she may be an alchoholic!

Ishirou and Sasha are also arguing..


And what are we supposed to do, wonder out into the jungle and get ourselves killed? We stay here, its the best chance of someone finding us!


We are probably dead already...I escaped Ilizmagorti just to end up a prisoner with a death sentence here...

She seems almost on the verge of tears...


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I would really like to help out with the diplomacy, but Nim has a CHA of 8. :)

Nim is up early and decides that shelter is priority for today. He looks to the sky, determining what the weather should be like for the next day and night, before gathering his weapons and calling Wicewakan to his side. I shall look for a suitable place to build our camp. Any who wish to accompany me, please gather your belongings and meet me in the treeline.

Taking 10 on both survival checks for a result of 19.

PS Ok. Whatever. I will attempt to aid another unless a failed check will cause the one making the diplomacy check problems.

Nim overhears Ishirou and Sasha arguing and interjects, The jungle is no more dangerous than the beach, but I agree, we should keep our camp visible to the sea if possible. Either way, anything that decides to test us will find the going difficult. Master Ishirou, I doubt that you are totally incapable of defending yourself. You seem a capable man.

Aid another Diplmacy check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Turning to face Sasha directly, Nim adds, We are not dead yet Sasha. And until we are, there is always hope. I have no plans on dieing on this island, nor letting that happen to anyone else. This place seems more dangerous because it is unfamiliar. I can asure you that it is no more dangerous than some of the "civilized" places you have chosen to visit in your past. Trust me when I say that we can succeed here. Especially if we work together!

Aid another Diplmacy check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

You win some... :)

Nim then moves off to the treeline and waits for any others...


Nim:

The heat of the morning leads you to believe that it will be a hot day! The heat may cause some heavier showers in the early afternoon...

Anton's keen eyes spot something that transfixes you for a few minutes. Now that it is low tide you can see the tip of a mast...it is in the same vacinity of where the ship was anchored. It is charred and black. Loooks like you know the final fate of the Jenivere...

DM Only:

Encounter Dawn 1d100 ⇒ 77
Encounter noon 1d100 ⇒ 85
Encounter Dusk 1d100 ⇒ 3
Encounter Midnight 1d100 ⇒ 70


The rather grim and dour reflections of several of the cast-aways is almost enough to test Nora's patience when she awakens to dire predictions and bickering, and she seems almost grateful for Nim's interjection.

The Night prior had been a strange one, with that ethereal glowing light from the waves making the whole of the experience already unreal. Still it seemed the Desnan priest was used to all sorts of situations as she happily ate her lizard and went to sleep. She had suggested they set up alternating rotating watchs of 2 hours for 8 people, where-in one person would go to sleep and a new person asume watch half-way through another persons watch, making two people on watch at all times, and also perhaps, letting more of the group socialize.

Today though she sets up to stretching and getting her blood running, eating whatever left-overs there are, and taking note of the group and who seems up and about.

"I'm with Nim. This Island has food on it, and probably other stuff as well. Half the rumours can't be true, and those that are just mean there is more ways for us to survive. I mean if worse comes to worse we can always wait for a ship to come by, and if one doesn't, build some rafts or some such and try and set out. Still for now we need to make a camp that is secure, and than I think we shoudl set about exploring the Island, probably keeping the group together as much as possible. Nobody should go off alone."

She tries to judge what is motivating the others, and it seems Sasha and Jask at least were contributing. She waits to see what the others say and what plans are made. The abruptness of the previous days experience has muted somewhat, and her curiosity is still obviously piqued.

She does note the appearance of the Ship with everyone else, a frown forming on her face when she see's it, followed by a prayer for those now beneath the waves. She looks to Anton and asks "SHould we... I mean do you think we'd be able to get to the ship and the hold and pull some stuff out of it..."

For GM:
I'll do Diplomacy checks as RP goes on with individual people or if prompted, or would you prefer me to just do them at the start of each morning to 'get them out of the way', whichever works better for the tempo.


Nora:
It is up to you really, if you are making a conscious effort this morning to try to cheer them up and get them more motivated to help then I would go ahead and roll for each person.

DC 15 Knowledge Engineering about the ship:

If it burned into the ocean you would doubt if there is anything left of value intact when it sank.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton wakes up still emotionally exhausted from the events of the last two days; he tries to go back to sleep, but the bickering puts him on edge. I need to do what I can to stop this, so we can get back to what needs doing. He rolls over and gets up. "Ishirou, you don't have to explore if you don't want to. We also need people to defend our camp, and with Alton's rapier, you have the means to do that."

Aid Another with Diplomacy on Ichirou: 1d20 ⇒ 8

He turns to Sasha. "What Nim said. With a little work, we can actually thrive here; maybe you can't picture it yet, but we know what we're doing." He smiles confidently.

Aid another with Diplomacy on Sasha: 1d20 ⇒ 19

When he finds out about Aerys's illness, his brow furrows. "We can't afford to lose anyone. We need as many people who can help Nora without getting in each other's way to try, and then Nim and I will look for a good long-term campsite while foraging for food with anyone who wants to help." He turns to Nim. "Start looking at the top of the cliffs overlooking the beach? No one said anything, so it can't be too awful of an idea."

Aid another with Heal on Aerys: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Take 10 on Survival for 15 to forage. Aid another with Survival to find a good campsite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

What the heck, might as well try the rest while I'm at it.

While doing a surprisingly good job of helping Nora with Aerys, Anton simply says to her, "You're very important to us, and I'll do whatever I can to keep you safe." Aid another with Diplomacy on Aerys: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Once he's done all he can to help Aerys, he takes a moment to check in with Gelik.

In Gnomish:
"What do you call a gecko on a wall? ..Art! What do you call a gecko without any legs? ..Dinner! What do you call a eurypterid without any legs? ..Also dinner! What do you call a dog without any legs? ..Doesn't matter, he won't come. Where would you find such a dog, anyway? ..Wherever you left him!"

Anton smiles wryly. "Okay, so I'm not the best comedian, but I have a point. Sure this is a bad situation, but that just makes humor more important than ever. We need to keep our spirits up to keep on doing what it takes to make our lot better, and I've known you since Magnimar. I know that you're the right gnome for the job. Please? Even just a stock tale at dinnertime. Anything to take our minds off our worries for a bit." He looks pleading. Aid another with Diplomacy on Gelik: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Then finally, he approaches the man that he freed, greeting him with a smile and a halfling fist bump. "So Jask, got any big plans now that your chains are off? See the world? Save the world? Take it over?" he says with a wink. Aid another with Diplomacy on Jask: 1d20 ⇒ 12

To be clear, Anton is an ex-slave. He's also a skeptic; but Nim was willing to take responsibility for Jask, and then Corbrius just up and went to try and break his chains. So, Anton couldn't resist it when trusted teammates validated his bias toward freedom.

Also, anyone can read the "In Gnomish" spoiler; that was just for flavor, not secret.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Knowledge Engineering 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Since the ship burned enough to put it to the ocean floor, it is highly unlikely anything of value remains. However, if one or more of our proficient swimmers decides to investigate, I can help with enough notice. I can cast a spell that will encase them in arcane force, protecting them like armor without the weight to it. It is one of my more powerful spells, however, and I can only cast it a couple times a day and then only when prepared in advance.


Waiting to see if Nim was going out for shelter alone or with the rest of the party...or if any other party interactions were going on before you headed out.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen will accompany Nim. He carefully avoids contact with the other castaways unless it is necessary. He doesn't want to sabotage Nora and Anton's attempts to draw them into the group with his indifference.


Nim and Tragershen head out into the jungle for a search mission. After several hours you are able to find a likely spot SW of your current location after the ground levels out. It is not the most defendable spot, but you see a good pooling area in some stone for fresh water after the rains as well as cleaning and it affords you a better vantage point to the mainland. Once you get the rest of the group up here you should be able to get the "camp" set up in a couple of hours.

You have also started to cut a trail through this hex. I would like someone to track the map and once you have travelled through a hex 3 times you have explored it and it only costs 1/2 movement to move through it since it have been well explored and you have found the best way through it.

You get back to the main camp and the group just as the rains hit. You are sidelined by the moderate rains for about two hours while you talk about the new site to the group.


So we are to wander into the jungle to fall prey to whatever beasts likely roam there? Its madness I tell you. Should we stay here and wait for a ship?


Enough Gnome! I plan to stay with these people, if you want to stay here by yourself then take you chances on your own. If they say there is a good place to camp up there then that is where we should go.

He nods to Nora and Anton...


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7
Gelik aka DM Stephen wrote:
So we are to wander into the jungle to fall prey to whatever beasts likely roam there? Its madness I tell you. Should we stay here and wait for a ship?

Your reasoning is flawed, sir gnome. We will continue to look for a way off the island, as well as a way to signal potential rescuers. However, where we are perched now exposes us to anything that the jungle behind or the ocean before us can muster. Would it help if I recounted some reports of what has been seen emerging from these oceans seeking prey upon nearby shores? In addition, it is not inconceivable that we could chance across a mostly intact vessel, perhaps a yacht or pinnacle, that we could repair enough to limp to an outpost of civilization.

Considering that perhaps his tone has been too harsh, he adds Though you are welcome to stay here or come with us as you choose; we certainly wish you no ill. If that is your choice and we find a means away from here, we will absolutely try to include you in it. And I hope you would consider doing the same if it is the other way around.


Nora spends the early morning doing the rounds to try and keep everyone motivated. She nods to Nim and Tragershen when they head out, to indicate she will hold down the fort. Assuming that no further poison damage has materialized she'll continue to minister to everyone who seems to be suffering still. "You all look much better today, I think once Nim and Tragershen get back and we shift to a better campsite, well by tomorrow you should all feel pretty good I think."

Heal Check on Aerys 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 = 27

As Aerys symptoms seem to persist, she does what she can, ministering to her, though occasionally a perceptive person could see her frown.

She tries to help everyone and assigns them all tasks, trying to keep the party as busy as possible and as involved as possible. At around midday, as whatever lunch they have scrounged together is being prepared she talks to Gelik. "So yeah, I think it would be a great idea if you could enterain people over lunch with a story or something, keep things a little light and such? I think things are looking up really... maybe something about people surviving in strange situations? well... or one of those comedies where everybody is dressing as everybody else and there's all that mistaken identity and stuff... I love those!"

Diplomacy Check on Gelik 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21

She also moves to pull Anton aside at one point, talking briefly to him. "I dont' want this out in the open really, but I thin Aerys is suffering... well withdrawel symptoms... she'll probably start to shake soon. I think she's... well.. a drunk. Just keep an eye out, but don't spread it around, without any alcohol around it will probably resolve itself."

Back at the camp-site proper during and after lunch she'll continue both her healing efforts and her efforts to get people alongside. Jask she'll just hand out duties and try and treat just the same as everyone else. She'll ask everyone inoccuous questions, trying to get them to open up, to learn more about their respective skills.

"You know, this could be the start of something great! I mean this has the makings of a story that somebody like Gelit there would be telling in a hundred years; The Shipwreck that conquered the Haunted Isle! Personally I just hope I am portrayed as Nora the Fair..." She touches her throat in a thespian gesture and than breaks off into giggles. Even the rain doesn't seem to damp her spirits.

Diplomacy Checks for Jask 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 2 = 12, for Ishirou 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23, for Sasha 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27, and for Aerys 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26. She'll be continuing long term treatment on anyone with ability score damage and will swap out light for create water to help maintain the fresh water supply.


Nora seems to make considerable headway with the other castaways throughout the day.

You head over to the new site. Without real tools you make a camp as best you can. Proper tools would help to make a better camp but this has to do for now.

DM Only:

Encounter Dusk 1d100 ⇒ 25


Okay I will go over to the new camp. Maybe a few stories will help lift our spirits.

Gelik spends the afternoon as you all work giving a pretty good accounting of himself with some stories about pirates...


Nora:

Late that day as you are tending to Aerys she admits to you her condition.
I have been at the bottle for too long. I can't stand this feeling...the shakes, the pain....I have heard that Viper Nettle berries can help with the recovery...I am guessing you don't have anything to drink do you??? Well I suppose if you happen to run across any of these berries while wondering about the island could you get me some? It would be a great boon to me...as soon as I can get better I will certainly put my fighting skill to use defending the camp!


Even Ishirou seems to take heart now that you have a base and helps out building the camp.

Corbrius:

Ishirou approaches you late that day, So you know master Corbrius I happen to have this treasure map, one of several I own. It is actually a treasure map to this Island. Since we are already here manby we should check it out? I promise equal shares for all who help me find it? He pulls it out and shows it to you, The treasure is still some distance but as we explore more we should go to it when it makes sense. Should we tell the others or just keep this between us for now?
You get the feeling he doesn't want to tell the others but knows you are closer to some of them.


You find out that Jask is actually quite a skilled healer as well. He admits to being a acolyte of Nethys. He once had healing powers but has no holy symbol with which to memorize spells or use his divine channeling with.
He is still able to use his healing skills though to help with the party and the other castaways.


Sasha realizes that she has been acting foolishly and helps to build the camp as well.

Nim:

Sasha approaches you late that day. You notice that she is missing the pinky finger of her left hand. You also notice that she bears a tattoo between her shoulder blades—the symbol of the Red Mantis, [b]I am also one who is in tune with Nature. Since we may be here a while it might be useful for me to bond with one of the local wild-life. I find much of the local wildlife adorable—particularly the flying dimorphodons. I would dearly love to have a baby dimorphodon as a pet, and I promise to
keep it under control if you can find one for me? Eventually it might be useful as a scout.


That evening a pack a jungle goats, a breed of mean and agressive ones wander near the camp and attack. After some bumps and a couple of bites you are able to slay the 4 goats who happen to then supply your group with enough food for the next day.

So where to the next morning, you know there is a wreck west on the shore or east just on the nearest reef? Or explore the jungle?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Sasha:
If Nim recognizes the possible meaning behind Sasha's tattoo, he does not react. It is always good to be in tune with Nature, here and now, perhaps more so... I will keep an eye out for a suitable candidate for you to befriend. An unhatched egg would be preferable, allowing the newly hatched dimorphodon to imprint on you the moment it opens its eyes...

An aerial scout would be most beneficial...

While Nim is himself satisfied with the newly created shelter, he realizes that some of the others might not be so happy. We could do better given some additional supplies and tools. Perhaps we should explore the wreck...


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

After Gelik’s second story of pirates and adventure, Tragershen takes a break from his chores to go over to him.

Gelik:
For the first time that most people from the ship can remember, he actually has a smile to show the world. I have spent a century and a half listening to stories and reading tales, and I have never heard that one before. Well told and well crafted. Nicely done, sir gnome. It almost makes this seem like we are part of a story or an adventure, rather than more dire circumstances. I must say, I am very pleased you decided to come with us. Very pleased indeed. With that, Tragershen returns to work on setting up camp. Still smiling and muttering something about a buffoon of a pirate.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

When discussion comes up of exploring a wreck, Tragershen will nod in agreement. We would not have to find much for it to make a tremendous difference in our efforts here.


Corbrius:

Are you out there???? Haven't seen anything from you since Friday?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:
You head over to the new site. Without real tools you make a camp as best you can. Proper tools would help to make a better camp but this has to do for now.

FWIW, Nim has artisan's tools, but apparently specialized to weapons? I didn't know it worked like that.

Jask aka DM Stephen wrote:

You find out that Jask is actually quite a skilled healer as well. He admits to being a acolyte of Nethys. He once had healing powers but has no holy symbol with which to memorize spells or use his divine channeling with.

He is still able to use his healing skills though to help with the party and the other castaways.

Untrained Knowledge/Religion to see if he knows Nethys's favored weapon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

"Well, I don't know much about religion aside from Desna, but I can scrounge for good wood for a holy symbol and a quarterstaff, if someone else is willing to try to make them." Maybe some kind of Survival check to find such a common natural material of a quality DC based on the item value? That would be worthless for the quarterstaff, and 10 sp for the holy symbol. Anton can take 10 on Survival for the equivalent of 10 sp worth of trail rations; so if you like this idea, then he will attempt to take 10 for both at once after our next excursion (or on the way back, time permitting).

Anton agrees with Nim and Tragershen and adds, "I want to explore, and I'd like to start with the wreck on the shore. Not only does it rhyme, but it'd also be easier to get to," he winks. "Let's see how we handle that one before adding swimming into the mix."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Tragershen wrote:
I'm not sure what Tragershen can do to help in this situation.

I just realized that Tragershen has the best untrained craft skills of anyone, thanks to his Int. So that would be something else to do, if he wants; and oh yes, with +6 to Knowledge/Religion, I'm pretty sure that he knows Nethys's holy symbol if he takes his time (and ten) with it. Then it's just a matter of hitting the craft DC for a holy symbol with improvised tools, once I've foraged for the materials, and if our DM lets us do it that way.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

A candle lights up slowly in Anton's brain, flickering weakly before growing in a strong flame. This is what Nim was referring to the other day. "In fact, why not quarterstaves all the way around? They would be quick to make, and would be better than nothing for Aerys and Gelik. Even Sasha might prefer a quarterstaff of the proper size, and I'd like to have my trident back. This could be a win, win, win, win, win!" He looks excited, and unabashed at being the second of ten to figure it out (not counting Wicewakan, who doesn't talk much, being a wolf).

"And we could cure some of that goat skin into leather for slings! I have the twine; and sure we can't get more bullets, but there are always more rocks to throw. It wouldn't take but a moment for me to show anyone who hasn't done it before. This could really work out great!" Anton is nearly bouncing with enthusiasm, picturing a fully-armed team of eleven (counting Wicewakan, who was armed by nature).

151 to 200 of 3,325 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.