Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road (Inactive)

Game Master John Woodford

As the myriad potential Golarions collide, a small group of heroes is charged with setting things right.


351 to 400 of 2,713 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria doesn't have to do much to get ready being a spontaneous caster.

"I suppose I am ready when everyone else is."


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

"Go when tide out?" the half-orc asks Luntz hopefully.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Luntz chortles at the half-orc's discomfiture. "Hee, hee! Yer in luck today, sonny! Tide's going to be low enough fer th' bridge, 'least when we're going. Now, th' return trip's another matter, so I'll still bring my little boat."


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

"So is it time?", says Rashun with a hint of eagerness in his voice?


Weakly Godlike Entity

The aged druid smiles a gaptoothed smile. "Aye, that it is." He wrestles the plank into place so that you can walk across the gap, then pulls it back once you're all across, puts his dinghy in the water and rows along beside you. The flying helmet and the sea eagle soar in circles overhead.

After a short but circuitous walk you reach the docks. Luntz is already tying his boat to an old post (he could take a somewhat straighter route, even though he had to dodge around some of the wrecks). From where you are, you can see that the bluffs to the east are a much gentler slope here, with buildings almost all the way to the top. Besmarial drops down closer to the party. "The place I believe the large akata came from is approximately three miles inland from here, and most of the way up the side of the river valley. I have already told Luntz, so he knows what will likely be the best way there."

You set off. For anyone who'd been to Cassomir in Golarion Prime, this place is disturbing. Many of the taller stone buildings have collapsed completely; the plants overgrowing the wreckage of some show how old those ruins are. Others are fresher, the likely result of too many years of wind and weather without maintenance. Even now, years after the impact, there are still small piles of ash and dust in lee spots, mute testimony to the ferocity of the fires, and the forces unleashed by the fallen star. The only sounds are birds, the occasional small animal, the wind, and your footsteps. To some extent the silence is relieved by Luntz' occasional muttering to himself and to his eagle, but the thought of spending decades in a place like this without some powerful ideal gives you insight into why he so treasures his role as light keeper.

Many streets are partially or completely blocked with debris from the fallen buildings, and it's slow going. However, as you get out of the business districts and into the nicer residential areas, the buildings get shorter and the roadways aren't as blocked. Eventually you come to a partially-collapsed building on a street corner. Besmarial hovers near it. "This is where I saw the akata go, the one I think summoned the large one." Although the building is surrounded by houses, it doesn't look like a house. The collapsed part appears to be some of a single large hall. Looking through the opening, a couple of you can see what appear to be small shrines inside.

What do you do?

Dice rolls:
Party Perception check: 1d20 ⇒ 12


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun looks around carefully.

Perception:1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22

Knowledge(Religion):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rashun, you're familiar with the concept behind the building. In large cities, there are frequently people who are unable to get to the Temple district, so a number of temples will set up satellite shrines in a shared building in a residential neighborhood. Priests from the central temples will spend a day or so there on a rotating schedule, so there's at least one cleric there at all times. You recognize a shrine to Sarenrae, although anything of value has been stripped from it, along with shrines to Abadar and Shelyn. (At least, those are the ones you can see from outside.) This being Taldor, there may also have been shrines to Calistria and Cayden Cailean inside. It's unlikely that any of the evil or particularly martial deities would be celebrated in a place like this.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

I pass the information on to the party then I cast "detect magic".

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"I don't know I am entirely too willing to rush in there and be ambushed though...." Eretria leans down to pick up a small rock and casts light on it. She wanted to be prepared for if/when they go in.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami glances into the interior of the building, then looks at Besmarial in confusion. So, one of the lesser Akata entered into this building, and then some time later, the large one came? So, there must be some means of communication within that would bring its master, right? If it's here, we could destroy it, though I fear that I'd have no idea what I'd be looking for.

He glances down at Eretria's light, then nods to the shrines. Fair enough, then. Shall we enter? He waits for any of the others to offer their wisdom and insight into the situation, then readies himself to move inside.


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Well, it's only one building and daytime. Now's as good a time as any.

Marcus casts a look about to see if he thinks the structure is sound.
Knowledge: Engineering1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Then looks for sign of monsters
Survival1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc prepares to enter, as he goes through his preparations his flail whirls as he offers a short prayer to the gods. He looks at Xavier, "We enter, yes?"

Casts resistance on himself, before entering.
Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 on entering (has dark vision).


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami follows with a nod, his eyes scanning the interior of the building as he enters. His steps are silent as he slides forward on the balls of his feet. He clears his mind of any distractions so that he can use quick thinking to adapt his stances to his foes.

Perception, low light vision
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria will hold the stone she picked up out enough to serve as a light for entering the building and stick close to Xavier, only entering when he does. Being the humans here, if it is dark the light will obviously be useful.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Luntz is going to hang back with Ambrosius and Besmarial. "Iffin' Ambrosius spies anything unfriendly-like comin' our way, I'll send th' angel in after yer."

To Xavier's practiced eye, the building doesn't look like it's about to collapse any further anytime soon, unless a several-hundred-pound beast bounces off the walls a few time. The inside of the building is filled with tracks and claw marks on door frames and things. There is an odd, metallic tang to the air, with an undertone of rot that sets Sami's teeth on edge. Rashun, it appears to you that the shrines of Sarenrae and Shelyn have been desecrated, although it's difficult to distinguish between malicious damage, incidental damage from looting, damage by time with the building open to the elements, and damage from being used as a scratching post.

The open hall doesn't cover all of the building footprint. Opposite the caved-in wall, there's an open doorway into a smaller room. You can't see all of the smaller room from your current vantage point.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami waits for the others to enter fully into the chamber, then he indicates the small room with a nod. He waits to see if any of the others follow, then he swiftly moves to look into the room from a better angle, while doing his best to keep his footfalls from echoing throughout the chamber.

Stealth1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42
DM Carbide - Dark Road wrote:

Luntz is going to hang back with Ambrosius and Besmarial. "Iffin' Ambrosius spies anything unfriendly-like comin' our way, I'll send th' angel in after yer."

To Xavier's practiced eye, the building doesn't look like it's about to collapse any further anytime soon, unless a several-hundred-pound beast bounces off the walls a few time. The inside of the building is filled with tracks and claw marks on door frames and things. There is an odd, metallic tang to the air, with an undertone of rot that sets Sami's teeth on edge. Rashun, it appears to you that the shrines of Sarenrae and Shelyn have been desecrated, although it's difficult to distinguish between malicious damage, incidental damage from looting, damage by time with the building open to the elements, and damage from being used as a scratching post.

The open hall doesn't cover all of the building footprint. Opposite the caved-in wall, there's an open doorway into a smaller room. You can't see all of the smaller room from your current vantage point.

Did my detect magic spell pick anything up?


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Xavier looks back to the half-orc and replies simply, We Enter.
He'd normally let Sami go sneaking ahead, cause Dad always said that's what usually happend and then the real fighters would go rescue them when they got into trouble.
Sami seemed happy to hand back so Xavier is first in, with Eretria in the middle of the pack, carrying her new rock. These mages are crazy


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rashun--no, you detected no magic in the hall of shrines.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun enters, wondering what will happen next.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Rocks fall, everybody--no, too easy and no fun for you besides.

Sami stealthily creeps into the other room. It looks like it had been split into a number of smaller rooms by wooden walls, all long since broken, with what looks like the wreckage of furniture here and there. There is a blocked door that based on your recollection of the size of the building probably leads directly outside, and there is also a clear path through the rubble to an opening in the floor.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun goes to inspect the opening in the floor.

perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31


Weakly Godlike Entity

There is a staircase leading down into darkness. From the scratches on the stone stairs, you would guess that something(s) with claws travel on it frequently. It's not clear, but there may be some intermittent source of indirect, very dim light down there.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc follows Sami into the room, he sniffs the air. His body tense, his muscles taught he slowly moves towards the hole, each step he gingerly feels the floor in front of him, conscious that it might crumble down without warning. He peers over the edge and looks down into the hole.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Weakly Godlike Entity

Darc's orcish vision pierces the gloom easily, and the oracle is able to see that the stairway descends roughly thirty feet back towards the hall. It ends in a rough tunnel/corridor that goes out of sight.


m half-elven Lich 15 DM/10 Grandmaster DM

"Would one of you want to go first since I don't see as well in the dark? If not I can go first, but my light spell may give us away.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami nods, then looks at Darc. You and I probably see the best, given the lack of light. Shall we take the lead, and the others can follow behind with their light?


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

waithstrike=Rashun T.

"good, we go" Darc replies to Sami.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

I hate it when that happens. We need longer editing times.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

"I don't want to be last.... Will one of you more fighter prone please step in behind me?" Eretria asks softly staring warily down in the hole.


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Here, Xavier pauses and looks to Rashun, was torn (slightly) between his protectiveness of.the beautiful mage and the fighter's PROPER place: at the front where the monsters where.
But he couldn't see well without Eretria's light. Besides, hopefully they would be attacked fromthe rear. Then he could impress her by saving her life. That was always a sure way to get a woman in bed...

I'll take rear guard


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami's reptilian eyes shine glow slighty as they reflect Eretria's light, then he turns and plunges down the stairs, leading the way with Darc directly behind. He keeps his attention focused on his surroundings as he moves slowly to maintain silence.

Stealth1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Perception1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25


Weakly Godlike Entity

Sami and Darc head quietly down the rough stone stairs. The metallic scent is stronger here, as is the smell of rot. The tunnel at the bottom of the stairs used to have a wooden door across the opening, but it has long since come off its hinges and fallen to pieces. The tunnel runs ten or fifteen feet, then opens into a chamber. There is rubble pushed to either side of the tunnel; it looks as though the tunnel roof caved in at one point and was cleared afterwards.

The chamber is lit by occasional flashes of light from what looks like a large dark mound in the middle of the chamber. From your current position you can't see the chamber walls.

Dice rolls:
Perception check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami casts a glance at Darc's steel armor and shield, and winces. That won't do; he'll sound like an army has come.. The Nagaji indicates himself with a jerk of his thumb, then indicates the corridor ahead and points to his eyes, to mimic looking into the chamber. He then slowly and silently walks closer to the opening to see what, if anything, is in the rest of the chamber.

Let me know if you need new stealth and perception


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc nods to Sami, watching him as he goes. Darc stands motionless, except for his hand which is raised above his shoulder, palm forward in a sign, for those behind.


Weakly Godlike Entity

Lucky for you the akata are deaf. They have other senses, but why a creature that doesn't breathe has the scent special quality baffles me somewhat.

Sami:
The large mound is, to no one's surprise, a sleeping akata. There are at least two more smaller akata in the room, one of which is alert; you're able to duck back out of its line of sight before it can turn to see you, though. Because of that you don't get a good look at anything else in the room.

Dice rolls:
Sami Perception check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami slips back quietly to Darc, and nods his head to guide him back to where the rest of their party gathers. He fills them in on the details of the chamber ahead, then waits for input.

See spoiler for info; and...yeah - deaf helps...guess I can lay off the stealth for a bit.


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc smiles at the thought of their foes in the other room. "cast night on big one, stop communicate maybe? I no cast night." he asks his new group of allies. He licks his lips and continues, "I get divine help, before fight."

Before entering the fray and going down again, Darc will cast Divine Favor on himself. With Magical Knack, it is cast as 4th level caster, so +2 on to hit and damage. Just checking thats what the trait Magical Knack does to this spell, before we start the combat.

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria nods slightly, taking this time to cast mage armor on herself, it might help a bit to deflect attacks made to her.

Finally a chance to put my own talents to use....

"Just give me a target, I rarely miss with my magic." She says softly.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun looks over at Xavier's scimitar.
With a grin he says "We now get to see how well you use that weapon"
He then draws his own scimitar and cast Divine Favor also.


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Xavier pulls his scimitar. What's our order into the room? Me and the Half-Orc should go first.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami concedes with a short bow. Of course; may blade and flail strike true. I will follow closely behind you, and will seek any who would escape and face them in single combat. We would not want any to get away and summon the oracle before we are prepared for it.


Male Human Ranger 1/Inquisitor 4 HP: 38/42

Rashun says. "That sounds ok to me. I will be right behind you however".


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Darc proceeds to lead the group down, slightly ahead, out of the light. As he moves down he prays, his weapon ready, his body feeling the inspiration from the prayer. He checks that the beast still sleeps, before charging forward to meet the beast head on.

Casts divine favor 1 round before moving into position to charge.

Round 1:

Status:
HP: 38/38 AC: 19/9/18 Conditions: Divine Favor 2/10
Attack Flail 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 21 df + charge
Damage Flail 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9 df


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Xavier liking the Oracle's choice of target, follows up the charge with one of his own.
Except he picks a different angle to charge to the other facing edge of the creature, so that he is adjacent to the Half-Orc. A five foot step by each of them to the side next round should achieve a flank.

AC reduced by 2 this round for charging. Charge Attack 2 handed1d20+9+2[/ooc]1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10


Male Human Warpriest 8, AC21/T10/FF21+5 if using Shield, HP74/74, F10/R4/W12, CMB+10/CMD+20, Perception +5

Crap. The formatting was wrong.

Edit.
Xavier liking the Oracle's choice of target, follows up the charge with one of his own.
Except he picks a different angle to charge to the other facing edge of the creature, so that he is adjacent to the Half-Orc. A five foot step by each of them to the side next round should achieve a flank.

AC reduced by 2 this round for charging. Charge Attack 2 handed1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 2 = 21


Weakly Godlike Entity

Map HERE.

Round: Surprise

Darc and Xavier both connect with their blows, inflicting significant damage to the creature. It's still alive, though, and comes to its feet with a silent snarl. The two other normal-sized akata who were awake are able to move this round, but not attack yet; their frenzied, stroboscopic flashing rouses the two normal-sized ones who were still unconscious when you came in.

Next round, initiative order is:
Eretria
Rashun
Sami
Darc
Large akata
Xavier
Other akata

Dice rolls:
Darc initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Eretria initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Rashun initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Sami initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Xavier initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Normal akata initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Large akata initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Barbarian 2/Oracle of Battle 3 HP: 44/47 AC:21/11/20

Snarling his teeth, Darc continues his attack. His falchion almost glowing with the divine and of the gods directing its head at his target. "ahhh" cries the half-orc in victory as the metal ball smashes deep itno the creatures body.

Please add any further magical bonuses that given by the casters with a better initiative.
Round 1 proper:

Status:
HP: 38/38 AC: 21/11/20 Conditions: Divine Favor 3/10
Attack Flail 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 = 30 df
Damage Flail 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8 df
Attack Flail crit confirm 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 = 15 df
Damage Flail crit 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12 df

Osirion

Female Human Sorceress 6

Eretria steps out calmly chanting a spell and pointing to the large akata

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 Ranged Touch: Scorching Ray 4d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 1, 1) = 11 Fire

A beam of fire shoots from her finger towards her target.

With precise shot there aren't negatives, +6 assumes I am getting the point blank shot bonus and of course I already get a bonus for rays as well.


Male Nagaji Monk / Master of Many Styles 5; HP 35/35; AC 17/16/15; saves 5/7/7; perc +12

Sami takes a long step around Darc, nimbly making his way to the ferocious half-orc's side. As he steps, he bends his knees to take a deep stance, and his hands bend oddly at the wrist as he raises his arms before him in a parody of a fighting insect. He launches one lightning fast strike at the smaller Akata before him.

5 foot step beside Darc, initiate Mantis stance, attack #1 with stunning fist - DC 18 save or be stunned
Attack1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

351 to 400 of 2,713 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's Through a Cracked Mirror: The Dark Road All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.