Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG)

4.60/5 (based on 34 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $49.99

Add PDF $9.99

Add Non-Mint $49.99 $37.49

Facebook Twitter Email

The Best of All Possible Worlds

Discover the world of Golarion, the official campaign setting for the smash-hit Pathfinder Roleplaying Game! A time of lost prophecies grips the world, bringing with it an unending maelstrom, a tear in the fabric of reality, a surge of diabolism, and the endless threat of war. Yet all is not lost, for these dark times provide ample opportunity for adventure and heroism.

    Inside this exciting and informative 320-page tome you will find:
  • Detailed summaries of the player character races native to Golarion, including more than a dozen distinct human ethnicities
  • Elaborate gazetteers of more than 40 crumbling empires, expansionist kingdoms, independent city-states, and monster-haunted wildlands of Golarion’s adventure-filled Inner Sea region, with locations perfect for nearly any type of fantasy campaign
  • Cultural information and Pathfinder RPG rules covering the 20 core deities of the Inner Sea, plus entries on other gods, demigods, forgotten deities, weird cults, strange philosophies, and more!
  • An overview of the Inner Sea’s history, a look at time and space, a discussion of magical artifacts and technological wonders, discussions of important factions and organizations, and hundreds of locations ripe for adventure!
  • Tons of new options for player characters, including Inner Sea-themed prestige classes, feats, spells, adventuring gear, and magic items!
  • Nine new monsters, including exotic humanoids of the skies and seas, undead and dragons, and an angry demon lord in exile!
  • A giant 21.75"x33" poster map that reveals the sweeping landscape of the Inner Sea in all its treacherous glory!

by James Jacobs with Keith Baker, Wolfgang Baur, Clinton J. Boomer, Jason Bulmahn, Joshua J. Frost, Ed Greenwood, Stephen S. Greer, Jeff Grubb, Michael Kortes, Tito Leati, Mike McArtor, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Eric Nelson, Jeff Quick, Sean K Reynolds, F. Wesley Schneider, Leandra Christine Schneider, David Schwartz, Amber E. Scott, Stan!, Owen K.C. Stephens, Todd Stewart, James L. Sutter, Greg A. Vaughan, Jeremy Walker, and JD Wiker

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-269-2

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Additional Product Images


(click to enlarge)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG) Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG) Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG) Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG)

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9226


See Also:

31 to 34 of 34 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 34 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Inner Sea

5/5

First off I have to say that this book is gorgeous. The cover art is great but I really went wow when I opened the book and started flipping through pages. Kudos to whoever did the layout. I haven't found any artwork I don't like either.

As for content I have mixed feelings. I had read the original hardcover front to back but didn't own it. Most of the content is repeated both from the original and from other Golarion books that have come out in the past couple years. The book is about 80% fluff and 20 % crunch. After reading through it again I'm glad I bought the book, its nice having the updated material all in one place instead of spread through all my books and pdfs.

The crunchy section is good although I wish it was a bit larger. The Red Mantis Assassin and the Harrower are very iconic and I'm glad they got an update. I found the Low Templar rather bland and wish another prestige class had taken its place. It also reprints some weapons - most were already in the Armory or APG. Question? Why nerf Exotic weapons. The majority were already not worth the feat. I found many of the feats to have good flavor but not terribly useful. I would have picked a better balance.

Overall, a great book and worth the $50 I paid for it.


Inner Sea World Guide

3/5

Great on big picture, but there are a few things that could use some work; them later. It is great to see the Prestige classes (Harrower, Hellknight, Low Templar and Red Mantis Assassin) from the Chronicles redone. The new Inner Sea feats are nice as well as the details of the Inner Sea factions. The racial breakdown is also very nice which includes regional "hot spots" for some races also - "Hey look mom a Shoanti section!", very cool. Also a cool bonus - what the Holidays are and how they are held/celebrated.

The overview of each country is also very nice with one small issue; why didn't you cover areas on a map that are labeled?!?!?!? Example: Andoran pg. 44 11 locations are lightly covered by the Gazetteer while 30+ are displayed on the map. It would make sense to me if you just covered cities/towns, rivers, forests or ruins; you did not. There is a mix of cities, forests and ruins. The other locations are not covered, some are covered in the Adoran Companion, but there are a number of areas not covered at all. This is just Andoran, not to mention other regions that you cover - Varisa, Karapesh, Osirion, Cheliax, etc. These areas make the Inner Sea World Guide fall short even when adding in area Companions to cover what its name implies Guide for Inner Sea which would be to include named points on a map in said guide.


Far More Better Than Your Expactations

5/5

At last, all the information on Golarion clicks together perfectly. If you, like me, have had the chance to follow through the creative process that detailed Golarion in the past threee years, this book is the final assembly of all the information that's mixed and mashed in your head.

One thing I always liked about Golarion was that it is a whole world, designed and detailed for gamers, by gamers. It's not -like most settings- an "expansion" of an author's mary-sue characters background story.

Whichever system you are running your game on, you should get this book and see how an entire world can be designed part by part to provide any flavor and theme a GM might want; but still not feel like a scramble.

Thank you, for the honest effort and hard-work that you have put into this book, Paizo.




It's a beautiful world we live in!

5/5


31 to 34 of 34 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
301 to 350 of 856 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Zeugma wrote:
I'm okay with it, it's not really an "issue". But it isn't realistic, so if I were running a game where my players cared about verisimilitude, I'd have something happen. Not neccessarily where they're adventuring, but at least SOMETHING would happen. Maybe a truce in the Molthune war, maybe an expansion of the Worldwound, etc.

As I see it, Paizo's doing us a favor. They've given us a setting to use however we see fit. They've created nations, kickstarted certain events and conflicts, and populated the world with thousands of intriguing individuals. We don't have to take cataclysms or spellplagues into account and we can end/start/expand/whatever conflicts and dramatic events as needed for each GM's own vision of where the setting's going without having to worry about official continuity.

Also, I don't see why it's Paizo's responsibility to move the setting forward. That's the GM's job (and the players). Paizo's providing us with plenty of options to do just that with the many modules and adventure paths they publish as well as plenty of supplements we can draw inspiration from.

In my mind, they're making our job easier while not making the decisions for us. We get to decide where the setting goes.

Naturally, you mileage may vary. :)


shadowing.


Can you give an actual example of a problem? Specifically?

The Exchange

BryonD wrote:
Can you give an actual example of a problem? Specifically?

Was this directed at me?

I don't really think there is a problem. If Golarion were the real world, there might be, but it's not and there isn't. It's a minor matter of verisimilitude that is easily "filled in" by whoever is GMing the game.
Heck, even in game PCs wouldn't notice anything amiss, since "periods of quiet" are never as noticeable as "periods of disquiet," and without newspapers or mass media alerting us to the wider world, most people on earth wouldn't notice that "nothing of hisorical import has been happening."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Zeugma wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Shivok wrote:
tbug wrote:
Does it advance the timeline?

I think Vic mentioned something about 1 game year for every 2 of ours or the other way around. Cant find the thread right now. I'll keep looking.

Hopefully it wont be like FR where it was stuck on DR1358 for like 10 years.

Nope; it's 1 year per real year. To get the current year in Golarion, just add 2700 to our current year.

But we're not planning on advancing the actual events in world anytime soon. We still assume that all our modules and adventures begin on the current day, even though that current day advances ever forward. In other words, we don't want to self-obsolete our products.

At some point doesn't that become unrealistic? e.g. The "current year" in the PFCCS is 4708. If nothing happens between '08 and '10 in the timeline, it would be a very uneventful world, wouldn't it?

At some point, it probalby does. But since we don't plan on revising the Campaign Setting again anytime soon (we'll reprint it, but now that this next version is locked in we won't be further revising it), it's not really going to be a problem.

I suspect we'll not be revising the Inner Sea book again until we get around to doing the 2nd edition of Pathfinder, which is still many, many years in the future.


I've edited together an update for those who missed the Pathfinder Chat of the 13th/14th July 2010:

James Jacobs wrote:
...The campaign setting revision is stalled...

<James Jacobs was asked 'What happened?'>

James Jacobs wrote:

... Reality happened...

...Turns out, we can't do 4 hardcover books in one year. Which I already knew. But now we have proof...
...CS is now, I believe, aimed at a February release. That's still shifting around though, so nothing official yet...

For now the word if I understand correctly is hang on in there everyone. It's still coming, but just been put back a bit.


Still good. The wife should get it for me for Valentine's Day.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm fine with that. As usual with Paizo, I prefer a better book late to a rushed book early.

Also, having four hardcover subs in a row (each at 100 USD with shipping) was about to kill my budget anyway ;-)


Well, I'm still getting used to the bag of devouring instead of the blue dragon, but what Gorbacz said.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Well, I'm still getting used to the bag of devouring instead of the blue dragon, but what Gorbacz said.

I was hoping to follow The Tranquil Path of Leafy Face and Pink Pony, and never change the avatar, but the moment I saw the bag I failed my Will save vs. Crystal's Wicked Ideas.


Gorbacz wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Well, I'm still getting used to the bag of devouring instead of the blue dragon, but what Gorbacz said.
I was hoping to follow The Tranquil Path of Leafy Face and Pink Pony, and never change the avatar, but the moment I saw the bag I failed my Will save vs. Crystal's Wicked Ideas.

Yeah, there's been previous few of them in illustrations, and this one's an instant classic.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

As I told James last night apparently they just need to get some cots and just have everyone live at work.:) J/K I really do prefer the fact that Paizo won't release a book that isn't ready. Keep it up guys!


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

If it helps the book, I'm fine with the delay.


Nuts. :(


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

So this has been pushed back to February 2011 now? Just to clarify, as it still says for preorder September 2010 (near book description).


Product Schedule still has it listed for September 2010.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Ok, the only reason I ask is because a few posts up makes reference to chat on July 13th/14th where James Jacobs indicates the revision of the Campaign Setting has been pushed back to February.

That's what this is, correct?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hobbun wrote:

Ok, the only reason I ask is because a few posts up makes reference to chat on July 13th/14th where James Jacobs indicates the revision of the Campaign Setting has been pushed back to February.

That's what this is, correct?

This is indeed the revision to the Campaign Setting. We aren't sure when exactly it'll be delayed to yet; hopefully we'll get that sorted out sometime soon.


one more vote for the low templar in the revised, you could allow it for spell casting too.....not required just if they can already cast spells from another source......

anyway if nothing else I'm not willing to buy an AP for it, would just as well download the errata for the first printing of there ends up being one.

anyway have a nice day

but if I had my vote, I'd stay away from the genine binder, I dislike that prc... not sure why though...... must be that i like frost mages....


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

When the PDF product comes out, *please* have the map in a separate file from the rest of the book.

-- david
Papa.DRB

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steelfiredragon wrote:

one more vote for the low templar in the revised, you could allow it for spell casting too.....not required just if they can already cast spells from another source......

anyway if nothing else I'm not willing to buy an AP for it, would just as well download the errata for the first printing of there ends up being one.

anyway have a nice day

but if I had my vote, I'd stay away from the genine binder, I dislike that prc... not sure why though...... must be that i like frost mages....

The Low Templar will be in the book. He won't be a spellcasting class, though.


Steelfiredragon wrote:
but if I had my vote, I'd stay away from the genine binder, I dislike that prc... not sure why though...... must be that i like frost mages....

I think you`re referring to the Daivrat, which is in the Qadira Companion?

I`m a huge fan of the archetype (and the D&D inspiration, al-Qadim`s Shaìr class), but after initially being excited about the Daivrat, I felt it just didn`t hold up enough to make it worthwhile to play vs. just continuing as a Sorceror or whatnot. I think the problem was that it was written while the final PRPG rules were still being revised, so I get the impression there certainly wasn`t the sort of strong editorial support to give a good idea about what a PRPG Caster PrC should look like, and how it should compare to the base class progression. I think the Daivrat IS a prime case for being revised, even though it was technically written as a PRPG class. Seeing it in the Inner Sea Guide would be awesome.


each their own.

insert current gripe here( yeah I'll just leave that alone)


Preorder expected February 2011

Oh, the humanity!


I'm glad for the push-back, my wallet is was really feeling the strain of a big summer/fall from Paizo. This readjusted schedule gives me some breathing room. And even though I am looking forward to the book, I have the existing PCCS in the meantime so no rush.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Davelozzi wrote:
I'm glad for the push-back, my wallet is was really feeling the strain of a big summer/fall from Paizo. This readjusted schedule gives me some breathing room. And even though I am looking forward to the book, I have the existing PCCS in the meantime so no rush.

+1.

The original "4 months of hardcovers in a row" plan was a killer for overseas subscribers :)

Sovereign Court

Unfortunately this choice between 'wait 7-8 months for a PF Campaign Setting Book' or 'plop down $85 now for an outdated book (and pdf)' is a killer for me!


James Jacobs wrote:
This is indeed the revision to the Campaign Setting. We aren't sure when exactly it'll be delayed to yet; hopefully we'll get that sorted out sometime soon.

There is any particular reason for that delaying? Anything new and surprising?


Talon Stormwarden wrote:
Unfortunately this choice between 'wait 7-8 months for a PF Campaign Setting Book' or 'plop down $85 now for an outdated book (and pdf)' is a killer for me!

Pick up the Gazetteer.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

artemis_segundo wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
This is indeed the revision to the Campaign Setting. We aren't sure when exactly it'll be delayed to yet; hopefully we'll get that sorted out sometime soon.
There is any particular reason for that delaying? Anything new and surprising?

The primary reason for the delay is called "Advanced Player's Guide." The secondary reason is called "Bestiary 2."

Basically, building harcover books is very time consuming, and scheduling three of them to come out within 3 or 4 months of each other turned out to be flat-out impossible. We had to delay one of them, or ALL of them were going to end up late. And the World Guide ended up being the one we chose to delay.


James Jacobs wrote:

The primary reason for the delay is called "Advanced Player's Guide." The secondary reason is called "Bestiary 2."

Basically, building harcover books is very time consuming, and scheduling three of them to come out within 3 or 4 months of each other turned out to be flat-out impossible. We had to delay one of them, or ALL of them were going to end up late. And the World Guide ended up being the one we chose to delay.

Well, to be pedantic, scheduling them turned out fine; delivering according to that schedule, however... ;)


James Jacobs wrote:
artemis_segundo wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
This is indeed the revision to the Campaign Setting. We aren't sure when exactly it'll be delayed to yet; hopefully we'll get that sorted out sometime soon.
There is any particular reason for that delaying? Anything new and surprising?

The primary reason for the delay is called "Advanced Player's Guide." The secondary reason is called "Bestiary 2."

Basically, building harcover books is very time consuming, and scheduling three of them to come out within 3 or 4 months of each other turned out to be flat-out impossible. We had to delay one of them, or ALL of them were going to end up late. And the World Guide ended up being the one we chose to delay.

Well this is bad and good, bad cause I wanted this information before I started my 2nd Darkness Camp. But the good is that Paizo wants quality instead of rushing it out and its easy on my pocketbook

Scarab Sages

Davelozzi wrote:
I'm glad for the push-back, my wallet is was really feeling the strain of a big summer/fall from Paizo. This readjusted schedule gives me some breathing room. And even though I am looking forward to the book, I have the existing PCCS in the meantime so no rush.

Agreed! I was seriously looking at my budget, trying to balance going to conventions while also planning on how I was going to afford my subscriptions, as well. Of course I want my hands on this book now, but if the wait makes the book that much better and gives me time between hardback book releases, then I'm totally behind the wait on the book's release.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

bugleyman wrote:
Well, to be pedantic, scheduling them turned out fine; delivering according to that schedule, however... ;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here beyond annoying me, unfortunately. I would have MUCH rather had the revised World Guide out by September, it's original scheduled date. It's not going to happen. I don't have to come on here and explain the reasons, and snarky comments like these tend to convince me I shouldn't bother. Even with smily faces attached. ;-)

Dark Archive

I think he was trying to be funny.


Just reading James' comment above makes me want to say thank you for not allowing something out before it is entirely ready. I would rather have the release date changed and get a wonderful product than to have a rushed product that is subpar.

Just my 2 cp.

Silver Crusade

Sad it's pushed back, but thankful because it wouldn't of been ready. Looking forward to February! In the meantime, I can budget picking up the two Bestiaries.

The current cover (with a white stripe at the bottom)... has the 'Roleplaying Game' logo instead of Campaign Setting logo. Does this mean it is shifting to the regular hardback subscription line?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Slipstream wrote:

Sad it's pushed back, but thankful because it wouldn't of been ready. Looking forward to February! In the meantime, I can budget picking up the two Bestiaries.

The current cover (with a white stripe at the bottom)... has the 'Roleplaying Game' logo instead of Campaign Setting logo. Does this mean it is shifting to the regular hardback subscription line?

Nope. It means the cover we're showing above is not the final cover.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Surely that's a mistake since the Pathfinder RPG line is supposed to be setting neutral. If there's anything a campaign setting book isn't, it's setting neutral.

EDIT: Never mind. :-D


James Jacobs wrote:
Nope. It means the cover we're showing above is not the final cover.

Aside from the text, I really like that cover and hope that's the final artwork. It's like the 3.5e Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting cover except the next round of the combat, so if you have the two books the two books side-by-side tell an ongoing story in their art.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Wolf Munroe wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Nope. It means the cover we're showing above is not the final cover.
Aside from the text, I really like that cover and hope that's the final artwork. It's like the 3.5e Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting cover except the next round of the combat, so if you have the two books the two books side-by-side tell an ongoing story in their art.

It IS the final artwork for the cover; it's just the layout and design that's still being worked on.


can we see the map sooner since its release was pushed back

Dark Archive

I also appreciate the delay or at least my wallet does. T minus three days until delivery (my first, fiancee's second) and trying to balancing a new kid and books over the next couple of months would have been a little tricky.

The Exchange

I would love to get the book, but my wallet will be also happy of the delay.

The Exchange

Whew. I agree, after three months of pricey subscriptions, I'm glad for a break. I hope we have a more evenly spaced out hardback release pattern next year.


As someone who owns the original campaign setting, I can really appreciate taking the time to do it right. I love the old one but it really shows how rushed it was. Paizo has grown a lot as a game company and its nice that they are willing to put books on hold in order to make sure the quality of their work remains outstanding. Keep up the good work guys, we all appreciate it!!!

Silver Crusade

I love that they're still fighting Tar-Baphon. :D

"Noooooo. We can handle it just fiiiiine with three people. Don't need a cleric for this job at all....."

Looks like they've gained some ground at least. No incoming fall damage, for starters.


I am ok with the delay. There is enough other material (from paizo) to read till february.

Regarding the cover - artwork is very good, but the subtitle in the opaque text square is somewhat odd from a graphical POV. Additionally the text-square covers too much of the art.

I hope their artist exchanges this element with something better for the final edition.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Enpeze wrote:

I am ok with the delay. There is enough other material (from paizo) to read till february.

Regarding the cover - artwork is very good, but the subtitle in the opaque text square is somewhat odd from a graphical POV. Additionally the text-square covers too much of the art.

I hope their artist exchanges this element with something better for the final edition.

The cover is not final yet. The art is, but the layout is not; we've got MONTHS to dial that look in.


James Jacobs wrote:
Enpeze wrote:

I am ok with the delay. There is enough other material (from paizo) to read till february.

Regarding the cover - artwork is very good, but the subtitle in the opaque text square is somewhat odd from a graphical POV. Additionally the text-square covers too much of the art.

I hope their artist exchanges this element with something better for the final edition.

The cover is not final yet. The art is, but the layout is not; we've got MONTHS to dial that look in.

LOL. If I'm the 20th person in the thread to ask a question where the answer is, "The cover isn't final," what do I win?

301 to 350 of 856 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Inner Sea World Guide (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.