|DM Under a Dark Sun|
|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
You manage to clear out a space in the embalming hall that is both relatively defensible and relatively free of the stench from the cages to the south. Before long, the prisoners chained to the altar awake, most of them disoriented and traumatized. You manage to gather from a few of the more lucid prisoners that those kept in the cages here had either not been taken yet "to see the Mistress" or had somehow resisted her mind-controlling abilities, much like Rolen's sister. For those, the most likely fate was gradual starvation and reanimation as a zombie by the priest you dispatched. They confirm that the passage beneath the statue leads to the Mistress, but any additional detail will require careful coaxing (ie. Persuasion checks).
The four cultists are far less cooperative. As soon as they wake up, they begin screaming and thrashing, trying to break free, although they quiet down, seeming to bide their time, once gagged and restrained. Deliberate questioning might shake some more information free ...
You hear a few distant noises during your rest, but no one approaches the room. You inspection of the various items reveals a variety of potent abilities:
* The elven blade, Namarra, is a +2 longsword of warning. The blade warns an attuned wielder of danger, granting advantage on initiative rolls. In addition, the wielder and any companions within 30 ft can’t be surprised unless incapacitated by something other than mundane sleep. The weapon magically awakens the wielder and companions within range from natural sleep when combat begins.
* The shattered sword is a +1 revenant blade. When attuned, it inflicts an additional 1d6 necrotic damage in melee and has the reach property, extending the wielder's reach with it by 5 feet.
* The black bracers are bracers of archery, which grant the wearer proficiency with the longbow and shortbow and a +2 bonus to damage rolls on ranged attacks made with such weapons.
* The round shield is an unmoving bulwark. The wielder gains advantage on opposed checks to resist being moved involuntarily. In addition, by speaking the command word inscribed on the inner surface, the shield functions as an immovable rod, magically fixing it in space until the command word is spoken again. The shield can hold up to 8,000 pounds of weight before it is deactivated and falls. A creature can use an action to make a DC 30 Strength check, moving the fixed shield up to 10 feet on a success.
* The strand of beads is a necklace of prayer beads. When attuned by a cleric, druid or paladin, the beads may be used to cast certain spells. Activating a bead is a bonus action (using the wearer's spell save DC if needed). Once used, a bead may not be used again until the following dawn. The necklace contains the following beads: blessing (bless), curing (2nd level cure wounds or lesser restoration), favor (greater restoration) and smiting (branding smite).