3115 gp, 12 sp, Amulet (bonded item), Spellbook, Spell Component Pouch, MW Light Crossbow, Light Crossbow, 20 Bolts, Dagger, Scholar's Outfit, Disguise Kit, 2 Scrolls of Touch of the Sea, 1 Scroll of Color Spray, Scroll of Vanish (Lvl 2), Backpack, Flint & Steel, Belt Pouch, 6 days rations, Waterskin, Quick Runner Shirt, 3 empty sacks, Wand of Color Spray (12), Air Crystal
Thame grew up in the country of Cheliax, the son of two conjurers of decent power. At an early age, he showed potential for magic, so he was schooled in the arcane arts. Perhaps because they introduced him to their summoning circles too early, he was frightened and disgusted by the creatures they called up from the depths, terrified as his parents retained control over the demonic beings.
As his studies and training continued, he quickly learned that he liked the research aspect of magic as much as the actual spellcasting itself. As his parents continued to push summoning and conjuration on him, even going so far as to teach him to converse with beings from the lower planes, Thame learned to lie. At first, he just lied to his parents, telling them he loved conjuring spirits and demons but that he wanted to broaden his horizons. That soon progressed into dealings with others, as well. He didn't wish anyone ill, he just tried to avoid trouble.
His knack for misdirection and lying soon led him to the illusion school. Here he felt the love for magic that had been lacking with conjuring and other schools. He studied this magic above all others, growing more and more detached from his parents as he did so. When he came of age, he left their home to 'finish his education', having never returned in the three years or so he's been gone.
Thame's travels soon brought him to the land of Andoran, a land he suspected people like his parents would not come looking for him if they decided to. He spent almost a year traveling about, offering his services (either magical or scholarly) to those that requested them. He did enjoy the traveling, but the constant moving about made the studying and research he craved nigh impossible.
Finally coming to the city of Almas, he fell in with Perrell Beys, a fellow researcher and historian who valued his quiet nature and dedication to the details. He has been happy for this short time. Although he was disappointed to not be part of the initial colonization efforts on Ancorato, he understood the company's decision to try to mitigate the idea of 'favorites' being chosen to travel there. Anxiously awaiting the second wave of colonists to be called forth, he is ready to do his part to make the colony and research of the surrounding area a resounding success!
Average height and average build with average looks, Thame does not stand out in a crowd, and that's the way he likes it. He inherited the dark hair and pale skin of his Chelaxian parents, and his dark eyes peer out at the world with cynicism, knowing that many things had layers that could be penetrated to the trained eye.
Generally aloof, yet well-spoken and polite when forced to be,
Thame's interests are those of a scholar. An ambitious scholar. He is reserved, but willing to take risks if he deems the reward appropriate enough.
Application to the Bountiful Venture Company:
Dear Sir or Madam:
I, Thame Smythe, would very much like to be part of the second wave of colonists sent to the Isle of Ancorato. I am sure there are many applicants for these precious few slots, so let me explain some of my qualifications:
1) I have a very comprehensive and deep education, and therefore am more knowledgeable than most about ancient civilizations, the areas around where we'll be colonizing/exploring, and the magic items that are bound to pop up.
2) To go along with my knowledge, I am also very skilled at unraveling unknown languages, should we come across any writings that are in a tongue not yet discovered or that none of our company knows.
3) I already have a working relationship with one of your chosen colonists, Perrell Beys, whom I will be happy to continue to assist with her research and documentation. Being a current employee of the Bountiful Venture Company, I am already well aware of all the procedures and processes in place and am travel-ready.
4) I am a skilled magician, and have a variety of spells at my disposal to both help with exploration and protect the colonists should we come across any hostile creatures or peoples.
5) The success of the colony should in turn bring about success for myself, so I will be highly motivated to do all that I can to ensure the successful establishment and expansion of Talmandor's Bounty.
I appreciate your consideration of my application, and I hope to hear back from you soon.