Catfolk

DeviantDiva's page

83 posts. Alias of Lunae.


RSS

1 to 50 of 83 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Jiggy wrote:
Netopalis wrote:
Aaron Mayhew wrote:

I'd love to see more boons, specifically character option boons, that once you get them can just apply to any character you have or make in the future.

** spoiler omitted **

Boons like that I feel are what being a pathfinder is more about, discovering things that you can bring back that help the entire society, and not just your prticular character.

I like this a lot, and would support it.
+1

Infinity +1 ;P

Scarab Sages

John Francis wrote:
Drogon wrote:
Omnitricks wrote:

Uhhhh, yeah? ...

plus other end-game stuff...

and this:

If anyone actually would tell me what scenarios I can get the interesting, unique stuff like evil-evil tattoos, animal companions and the like they can just post it here and I'll check back or if they don't want to step on the toes of the people who don't like it, can just pm me.

I'm assuming this is okay, now, considering the conversation at this point?

Just checking.

Ask yourself this: Would you comply with that request if Mike Brock was looking over your shoulder?

Lol, so heard the tone "What Would Jesus Do?" in that -gigglefits-

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.

-tilts head and considers-

I have a Lore Warden (fighter type), a now dead Sorceress/Bard but let's say she's still alive for this example, and a Taldor Faction character.

On my Lorewarden, I ran through an mod or scenario, can't remember which, where she got an awesome Sash of Suggestion that adds to Dancing. I was lucky enough to play her through the one with the noqual armor but man, what a waste that would have been for my spell caster.

I also ran through the scenario with the amazing Taldor/Cheliax boon with my Osirion Lore Warden and wanted to kick a baby at the end because I had a Taldor faction character that was within level.

Now, I ride the bus for 2 hours one way and I'm usually waiting in the rain for 20min at two separate stops to get to the game store on game day. In theory, yes, cherry picking does go against the spirit of the game.

But you know what? It's about enjoyment first and foremost. I know when I start GMing, I will be noting "Special Boons - Fighter/Spellcaster/Faction orientated in with the description because WE CAN'T REPLAY THE SCENARIO/MOD!

ahem

So, as a player, I'm highly considering slow playing because of this. But what uber sucks is what's the point of an amazing boon if the character can't use it? Now, if we could apply said boon to another character that it would be useful for, that's another matter entirely.

So, since the spirit of the game is to have fun, as a GM and a Player, I'm not going to hold it against anyone who "Cherry Picks." After all, we only get 1 shot as a player and 2 as a GM.

Scarab Sages

Enigma Vaults.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's ok, I'm cool with it now.

As a player, it's my fault for seeking actual story and depth from amazing number crunching death machine creating people who, when they play, run over everything (though have recently reigned it in for which I'm super grateful), and as GM's the session is over 2 hours early because there is little to no player/npc interaction beyond combat.

I know that when I question something, not to get ticked off when I'm told "I'm a 4 Star GM, I think I know what I'm talking about," just because it reminds me of being 5 and my dad saying "Because I said so." Mind you, he only said it once, but it was enough to make me sit back and reassess the situation.

All this an more I know and have determined I, as a person, am not a good fit to play under either of them and therefore, rather than expect them to change for me, give what I seek.

In 1 months time I'll financially be where I need to be. Get an E-reader, get the bestiaries, and Run!

I love what I've read in ISWG and all of the books I've bought to date. I hardly ever see any of it implemented... and I want to change that. Because I adore fluff and capturing the mood when I write short stories... I think I'll be able to do it as a GM, just got to be better prepared <33

But I will definitely go to those two GM's when it comes to brass tacks or how to handle unruly players (being an unruly player when it came to those knowledge checks myself, I'd say they handled me well,)... but beyond that, it's to hypocritical of me to keep going to their games and complaining about it rather than do something about it. Still, I'll see if I can find those previous edition books with the rarity classification <3

Scarab Sages

I enjoy GMing because it's the only way I can actually roleplay and encourage others to roleplay rather than 1. Sitting through another session of dice rolling or 2. Leaving/Not coming in the first place.

I enjoy Roleplaying, but Rollplaying, not so much.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The grass is as green as you make it. Unfortunately I can't make it any greener when I am limited to two peoples interpretation who always back each other up no matter how wrong/misinformed.

And since I don't like it, I'm done bishing about it and will take up the slack.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

-sighs- What super ticks me off the most about all this?

I actually pitched a fit at the table... with logic mind you, but also with a hard headedness that I try not to show.

Why? Because I could not believe that there was not more structure to something as common and frequently used as knowledge skill checks. I basically called BS on their wishy washy answers because it made no logical sense to state " In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster's CR. For common monsters, such as goblins, the DC of this check equals 5 + the monster's CR. For particularly rare monsters, such as the tarrasque, the DC of this check equals 15 + the monster's CR, or more."and have no listing for CommonorGeneralorRareMonsters; as well as no structured implementation explaining what a player is specifically supposed to ask a GM for specific abilities. At the time that seemed LUDICROUS because it's to common an occurrence for such a gaping hole in the game system. To many things indicated that there is something structured.

-sighs- I owe them both an apology because I didn't believe what turns out to be the truth of the matter... this part of the game is exceptionally lacking. -sighs- Well. She does decent amount of damage but not nearly as well as theirs and never will. Her main schtick was Knowledge Skills -shrugs- Got her to 11th level and now she just can't be of any use to a party. -hangs head and retires- I'll just GM from now on. I'm tired of the repeated lack of rp at society games that end 2 hrs before they're supposed to then being told that ppl don't rp or don't describe because of the time limit. I'll just give what I seek because it's the only way I'll get a bit of it back.

Thank you, the one person who checked this topic to be a frequently asked FAQ thingy. Goodnight.

Scarab Sages

DeviantDiva wrote:
FLite wrote:

I think the problem with tailoring is that it implys that

A) the character is only interested in information that they can use personally, not information that might be important to their teammates. (Which seems pretty contrary to the Lore Warden idea)

B) the character has only one shtick. A sword and board fighter might have some purchased alchemy for backup for dealing with DR. When you don't tell them it has Fire resist, but does have DR, you are causing them to waste an Alchemy.

Quote:


But because my Lore Warden is a Fighter Type, she wouldn't know anything about Sorcerers or Spells. OR ANYTHING that the GM hadn't already shown in combat for that matter. So yeah, I have a bad view on "tailoring" atm.
Shouldn't those be spellcraft? Arcana is stuff like constructs, dragons, and magical beasts.
Sorry, yes, she have Spellcraft as well but was still in Knowledge Rant mode.

Edit: http://paizo.com/prd/skills/knowledge.html

Identify auras while using detect magic Arcana 15 + spell level
Identify a spell effect that is in place Arcana 20 + spell level
Identify materials manufactured by magic Arcana 20 + spell level
Identify a spell that just targeted you Arcana 25 + spell level
Identify the spells cast using a specific material component Arcana 20

Scarab Sages

Silbeg wrote:

FLite, that may be the case, in general... however, the way memory works you are more likely to remember things that are important to you than the general population.

So, for example, Angelo Gaius, my wizard, who has pretty much all the knowledges at 12-15+, would care first about things that would make it difficult for him to affect a target (spell immunities, spell resistance, etc), but cares quite a bit less about DR or armor class. Now, if he rolls really well, he'll probably get that as well. If a GM wants him to ask questions, he'll start with stuff that will affect him first.

On the other hand, Magnus Landros, my wizard, will want to know if the critter is typically evil... and then how hard to hit they are. But, most importantly, are they evil.

I think Magnus Landros may be a pali and not a wiz o.o

Scarab Sages

FLite wrote:

I think the problem with tailoring is that it implys that

A) the character is only interested in information that they can use personally, not information that might be important to their teammates. (Which seems pretty contrary to the Lore Warden idea)

B) the character has only one shtick. A sword and board fighter might have some purchased alchemy for backup for dealing with DR. When you don't tell them it has Fire resist, but does have DR, you are causing them to waste an Alchemy.

Quote:


But because my Lore Warden is a Fighter Type, she wouldn't know anything about Sorcerers or Spells. OR ANYTHING that the GM hadn't already shown in combat for that matter. So yeah, I have a bad view on "tailoring" atm.
Shouldn't those be spellcraft? Arcana is stuff like constructs, dragons, and magical beasts.

Sorry, yes, she have Spellcraft as well but was still in Knowledge Rant mode.

Scarab Sages

Cleanthes wrote:

During the last days of 3.5, they started adding sidebars to all the monster entries in the last Monster Manual volumes they published which told you exactly what info a given Knowledge check would reveal. That was extremely helpful, and I wish it had become standard practice. In the meantime, some bright soul has created the following product: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63058/Monster-Knowledge-Cards-Volumes -1---4-%5BBUNDLE%5D?term=monster+knowledge

Tried to make a simple link, but for some reason the code isn't working for me :(

OMG! I HEART DRIVE THRU!!! It's where I got my copy of Tales From the Floating Vagabound! A Most Amusing Game <33

Scarab Sages

CRobledo wrote:

There are not hard rules on Knowledge Checks, and to be honest, I'm ok with that.

I haven't yet encountered the examples redward and others posted above yet. Usually locally all the GMs let us ask questions, based on the check, as most GMs seem to do. Most GMs will allow you to ask for any line in a monster stat block (the bolded words).

I myself will use this system, but ask if they'd like me to pick something for them instead of them picking. I'll try to make it tailored to something THEIR character would like to know.

If they are a sword and board fighter, I probably won't give them that they are resistant to fire. Why would a fighter have cared in their time studying monsters or hearing about other adventurers' tales (what Knowledges represent) about if they are resistant to what elements? For them I'd usually pick DR or special attacks.

If I have a flames oracle and they ask "would they be affected normally by fire?" I'd happily tell them yes or no based on if they had either resistances or immunities.

If they ask something too generic like "any special defenses" and they don't have any, I'll also pick something along the same lines like DR or resistances or immunities.

Yeah, tailored to their character. My Lore Warden has all the knowledge skills at 10+, including Arcana, and I was told because she's a fighter type that she wouldn't know anything about spells.

I've gotten every PP affiliation that give a bonus to every knowledge skill, she's bought all the available pathfinder field guides that give a bonus to various knowledge's, and as a player, I've bought the corresponding books associated with those guides and PP expenditures.

But because my Lore Warden is a Fighter Type, she wouldn't know anything about Sorcerers or Spells. OR ANYTHING that the GM hadn't already shown in combat for that matter. So yeah, I have a bad view on "tailoring" atm.

Scarab Sages

So, there are no hard and fast rules as to what a roll reveals.

Scarab Sages

9 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

This Forum is for Fact Please and a miniscule amount of interpretation.

I love each and every one of you, but I have had my fill of Personal Preference and Conjecture. This Game Day was an Effor in Futility.

http://paizo.com/prd/skills/knowledge.html states:

Quote:


Check: Answering a question within your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions).

You can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster's CR. For common monsters, such as goblins, the DC of this check equals 5 + the monster's CR. For particularly rare monsters, such as the tarrasque, the DC of this check equals 15 + the monster's CR, or more. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster. For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information. Many of the Knowledge skills have specific uses as noted on Table: Knowledge Skill DCs.

I role a 32 on my Arcana for the following creature:

http://paizo.com/PRD/additionalMonsters/golem.html

Quote:

Glass Golem CR 8

XP 4,800

N Large construct

Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +0

[u]Defense[/u]

AC 21, touch 8, flat-footed 21 (–1 Dex, +13 natural, –1 size)

hp 96 (12d10+30)

Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4

Defensive Abilities reflect spells; DR 5/adamantine; Immune magic, construct traits

Offense

Speed 30 ft.

Melee 2 slams +16 (2d8+5 plus bleed)

Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Special Attacks bleed (1d8), dazzling brightness

Statistics

Str 20, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1

Base Atk +12; CMB +18; CMD 27

Ecology

Environment any land

Organization solitary or gang (2–5)

Treasure none

Special Abilities

Dazzling Brightness (Ex) A glass golem in an area of bright light dazzles any creature within 30 feet that sees it for 1 round (Fortitude DC 16 negates). Once a creature makes its save against this ability, it is immune to that golem's brightness for 24 hours. The DC is Constitution-based.

Immune to Magic (Ex) A glass golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against a glass golem, as noted below.

• A shatter spell damages a glass golem as if it were a crystalline creature.

• A keen edge spell affects all of a glass golem's slam attacks as if they were slashing weapons.

• A magical attack that deals cold damage slows a glass golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds (no saving throw).

• A magical attack that deals fire damage ends any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A glass golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

Reflect Spells (Ex) As a free action once every 1d4 rounds, a glass golem can align its internal structure to enhance its resistance to magic for 1 round. During this time, the golem reflects spells (even spells that function differently against the golem as described in its immune to magic ability) as if under the effect of a spell turning spell.

A glass golem is a sizable guardian constructed by a powerful caster, usually in the shape of an armored humanoid. They are more common in desert lands where quartz-based sand is readily available, or in urban centers where glassblowing is commonplace.

A typical glass golem is 10 feet tall and weighs 2,500 pounds.

Stained Glass Golems (+0 CR): Divine casters sometimes build glass golems that resemble the windowpanes commonly found in temples. Thin and agile, these colorful beings often act as spies, wielding powers of stealth that their other counterparts do not possess. A stained glass golem has a +8 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Construction

A glass golem's body is made from 2,500 pounds of glass mixed with special salts and rare minerals worth 1,000 gp.

-----

I ask "1. What are it's Special Abilities? 2. What are it's Defensive Abilities? 3. What are it's Special Attacks?"

What should I be told?

What I Was Told angered me to no end.

1. The GM is only obligated to give you the name of the ability (sorry, but "Immunity to Magic" IS NOT the effect), if you want to know what that ability does, look it up.

a. I don't have a bestiary or access to the internet in the game store and their were no books on the shelves to reference. b. I have already bought most of what I consider Player Tools:Core Rule Book, Advance Players Guide, Inner Sea World Guide, Character Folio, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Equipment, Society Primer, Society Field Guide, and more Player Companions than you can shake a stick at.

I consider the Bestiaries to be for GM Tool and Summoners or those with summoning/conjuring spells. Not only that but in a previous combat with two large Air Elementals, a player offered to look up the Whirlwind ability for the GM and he specifically said "No, because I know you'll look up the creature and I don't want you doing that!"

By the end of the night, with only one role being less than 30 (it was a 29), everything I was told I could see for myself or it had already exhibited during the fight, BEFORE I rolled with nothing of it's special attacks or defense.

-takes a breath-

What is the official ruling on how to phrase questions to know a creatures special abilities and do you get all of them if you say "Special Defense" or "Offense"? Is the 1/5 higher per category and is it wasted if you ask for the next special defense and it doesn't have one or can you use the question for another ability?

Scarab Sages

FOR YOU!

-Piles containers of ice cream, sorbet, honey, cinnamon, chocolate, berries, and cream all around him-

Oh, and your alchemist book! Sorry, forgot to return it to you! Thanks!!!

*BAMFS*

Scarab Sages

-TACKLES IVAN-

Scarab Sages

My very first incarnation was as a beautiful Taldorian Voidwalker/Bard! Now, in theory it was a wonderful idea~ But when I was executed in practice... my core mentality and soul is simply not one that hangs out in the back and offers Support... I am naturally inclined to wade into the middle of things, to use tricks to foil my opponents and feel steaming blood of my opponents gush from a critical wound... of giving as good as I give... of healing my comrades as we stared down death and leave not with a whimper, BUT A SHOUT!!! yet... to contribute with as much of an educated hand as an educated mind.

In other words, I felt completely and utterly useless. The shock of death on a surprise round lasted all of 5 sulking minutes. Dang Hobgoblins >.>' I am glad that it happened at a level I could not resurrect at. Or I would have been stuck and never been exposed to the wonders of my second Incarnation... An Osirion Lore Warden! Perfect fit~

Sadly I do not have access to a scanner to upload my drawn characters but will at a later date!

Scarab Sages

A plaque is attached to the main fountain, the script flowing like molten gold (anyone who's seen The Secret of Nimh, it's Nicodemus' gold writing) that reads:

Quote:

The Touch of the Master's Hand

'Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
Thought it scarcely worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin,
But held it up with a smile.
"What am I bidden, good folks," he cried,
"Who'll start the bidding for me?"
"A copper, a copper," then, two! Only two?
"Two coppers, and who'll make it three?
"Three coppers, once; three coppers, twice;
Going for three..." But no,
From the room, far back, a grey-haired man
Came forward and picked up the bow;
Then, wiping the dust from the old violin,
And tightening the loose strings,
He played a melody pure and sweet
As a caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said: "What am I bid for the old violin?"
And he held it up with the bow.
"A thousand gold, and who'll make it two?
Two thousand! And who'll make it three?
Three thousand, once; three thousand, twice;
And going and gone," said he.
The people cheered, but some of them cried,
"We do not quite understand
What changed its worth?" Swift came the reply:
"The touch of a master's hand."

And many a man with life out of tune,
And battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd,
Much like the old violin.
A "mess of potage," a glass of wine;
A game-- and he travels on.
He is "going" once, and "going" twice,
He's "going" and almost "gone."
But the Master comes and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that's wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

- Former Slave of a True Master.

Edit Button was missing on my original thread or I'd just have edited it there T.T

Poem is adapted from Myra B. Welch.

Scarab Sages

Soft cool air, fragrant with the scent of fresh baked beds and pastries, washes over you like a balm. As the heavy door closes behind you and your eyes adjust to the velvety shadows, the cachophonous riot of a prosperous city fades only to be replaced by relaxed laughter and the gentle sounds of water falling from multiple public fountains.

Darkwood floors, buffed to a loving gleam, compliment the wcream walls and glow beneath floating globes of luminiscence. Large round stained glass windows block the harsh desert light and cast prismatic designs on the wood floor and opposite walls.

Circular scrollwork stairs of lusterous living metal lead up to the platforms of varius heights. Beads of polished green noqual twinkle with pale green light within the scrolling metal.

Translucent silk floor length veils, of deep jewel tones, hang from delicately arching frames, partitioning each table and giving the guests privacy from tables on higher landings.

Large, plush armchairs are evenly spaced around circular tables of various sizes. These sturdy tables are made of buffed obsidion and rose quartz with thin pale green noqual swirls.

Small fountains accompany each landing providing refreshingly cool and pure water to slake a travelers thirst. Permanent prestidigitation of clean and purify food and water radiate from each fountain. A cold stone in the form of a bauble twirls at the font of each fountain, keeping the water refreshingly cool. From time to time, the owner refills the fountains from a decanter of endless water.

A carved sign hangs on slender chains a few feet inside read in the Common tongue:

Quote:
Come In and Be Welcomed Pathfinders! But Leave Your Bad Attitude Outside with the Trash Where It Belongs~

Currently Hiring, Feel Free to Start! Meals Included~

Scarab Sages

-giggles- Shall I offer you employment good Sir Righty?

And of course Chelaxian, but please visit Ivan's shoppe as well!

Scarab Sages

I'm taking requests for special ingredients that you would like offered at my fine establishment as well as offering employment opportunities! Housing will be included above the restaurant for those employees who rise to the challenge and prove themselves worthy!

Scarab Sages

You're in luck Good.. erm... sir? Ahem~!

I've recently adjusted my trading routes to include Bellis and Gebbite for such flavorful deliciousness!

-pours a liberal amount of the golden nectar and savory cinnamon-

Enjoy!

Scarab Sages

Lady Gabrielle d'Apcher wrote:
"I am quite glad to hear such a compliment. The production rate of honey from Bellis suffered a rather dismantling blow several years ago. Fortunately, I took part in cleaning up that particular mess, and my investments in their lumberyards and beekeepers appear to have proven fruitful. My representatives now sell this Bellis honey out of the markets of Cassomir, though I believe my estate in the Petal District has some on-hand as well."

Thank you very much mi'Lady for your wares! It is indeed as decadent as the Crafty Weasel proclaimed~ I will have to retract my previous statement in the Osirion Faction as I cannot immediately think of how to improve upon such deliciousness <33

Scarab Sages

0.0

Nu! You're supposed to say "Unfortunate I do not provide such services but my cousin down the street..."

Not change hats and bring us to joo!!!

FOR SHAME WEASEL! FOR SHAME!!!

Scarab Sages

-TACKLES TEH WEASEL- NUU STALKYSTALKY JOO! -!!!pounces away to provided link!!!- ;3

Scarab Sages

-strikes dramatic pose #14-

A particular Taldan Weasel let slip that the best waffles originated from Taldor because they are topped with Bellis Honey and Gebbite Cinnamon~

"Weasel" wrote:
As even the weary soldiers fighting in the Worldwound can attest, the finest waffles are originally of Taldan make, served with Bellis honey and Gebbite cinnamon! Try some?

LINK

I would like to partake in such confectionery delights to judge for myself and perhaps be interested in adjusting my trade route to import these sweet and savory ingredients!

Scarab Sages

-gigglefits at the unsaid slander in observation-

Scarab Sages

He's only entitled if I use his exact recipe, which I'm not, tyvm~

Scarab Sages

Originally my friend, not currently, get with the times and pull up a stool~

Scarab Sages

Hey hey, all are welcomed here <33 Besides, if that Hellnight proves to be too much trouble, I know a particular vendor who supplies particular tastes~

I stole the quickened recipe, not your moms <3 I've noticed most "instant" recipes lack the heart that's put into the original recipe, but still, a little tweaking and it's good to go~

Scarab Sages

I can't help but feel this has become an effort in futility because to many valid cases can be made for all sides of the issue... that said WAFFLES AND CREPES AVAILABLE AT THE OSIRION FACTION FORUM!

Good luck guys <33

Scarab Sages

I can't help but feel the original topic has derailed and I contributed to it.

I believe it's "How to make an unbalanced party enjoy the session during the occasion when tier factor will result in a TPK due to rules that need to be followed where "bullying" is concerned."

Am I mistaken?

Scarab Sages

I stole it and improved upon it. The improved recipe is mine and you may have your original back Ivan <33

-hands back and pecks cheek-

There, a crime has been committed and resolved. Your services are no longer needed Mr. Hellknight~ But, May I interest you in these delicious fruit and creme filled crepes?

And Ivan, you're always welcome here, a meal on the house~

Scarab Sages

-smiles- Then so be it. If simple logic does not work and I'm willing to adjust but others at the table are unwilling, then I'm the odd (wo)man out and I can do something else to enjoy my day. I'm a serious gamer but from my previous decades long experience with various systems before my hiatus, I don't take myself to seriously in situations like that. No matter what, the day is what I make of it and gaming is not my life. For those that choose to walk away disgruntled and b@~+*y, that's their choice, valid or not. -sighs- Chris, I super respect you, you're one of the main reasons why I decided to start GMing and ran my first game last Sat.

But in this case, there are going to be bad situations. It's inherent with freedom to play what you want without the need to take the needs of the other into consideration. It boils down to the people playing the game.

Scarab Sages

Chris Mortika wrote:

Deviant Diva, let me rephrase your statement. I don't want to cast you in an unnecessarily negative light, so please correct me if I get something wrong.

You will tell this guy, "if you play this adventure, you're going to kill your character and all of ours." You will attempt to place blame on him for simply playing his PC, instead of trusting your GM to provide a appropriate, challenging adventure.

(I stand by my position that PFS is tiered appropriately. A good GM can run a mixed high-and-low party through a high subtier without it being a bloodbath.)

It is my opinion that, if the player had driven a long way to the game, or had signed up before you, your challenge will probably lose that player. Likely from that venue, and possibly from the Society as a whole.

I wish you wouldn't damage PFS like that.

A GM can only pull his punches so often. If that player chooses not to play a pregen in the initial situation, then yes, the blame is on him. If I have a problem with my low level character in a situation where they can be targeted by a high level spell/creature that can one shot it, then yes, I will leave. Is this the GM's fault? No. It's a crap situation with no good answer.

Scarab Sages

-takes a breath-

Ok, in a system that allows anyone to play whatever they want permitting some rules to allow for needed structure, we're going to get situations like this.

One cannot take into consideration the inconveniences a player Chooses to Endure to make it to Game Day. I ride the bus because I don't have a car. It takes me 2 hours to get to the nearest gaming stores on my day off. Anyone who lives in Columbus OH knows it rains hard in the morning and I wait 20 min beside an unprotected bus stop. I chose to do this because I enjoy gaming.

Now, when I freshen up and sit down, I take note of the party composition and have on one occasion, smiled, stood up, shook hands, and wished them well because there was no way we were going to survive up tier with our levels/classes but no one was willing to compromise. I was reminded of bickering little brats and I did not come to game to babysit selfish snot nosed buggers in man bodies.

I went home, in the rain, walked my dog, read a book.

And was not turned off by Pathfinder Society in the least.

I've known for decades that the only one I'm in control of is myself, and that's half the time if I'm lucky >.>' I go to game days knowing full well the nature of people and that if I don't like what I see, I can go do something else. I don't expect lieutenants or GM's or anyone to put themselves out there when there's no right or wrong answer, it's just a crap situation. So I use simple logic and when that fails, take my leave. Easy Peasy.

In the end, I'm happy and whether those who aren't willing to bend are dead or not, it doesn't matter, because my characters alive to play a new day.

Still being fairly new, I only have 2 characters. I play pregens when necessary but never put my own pride before the enjoyment of the whole. People can disagree or agree with this, don't really care. What I do care about is playing in a group that wants to succeed and have a good time and has the wherewithal to know when playing a certain character will doom the party.

-Fin-

Scarab Sages

Chris Mortika wrote:
Mystic Lemur wrote:


More importantly, if a character dies, they are reported as dead immediately. You cannot keep playing with them.

Mystic Lemur, are you sure about that? Let's say I play at a table where the GM has understood that we have to assign pre-gen credit to PCs before (rather than after) the scenario. I play a 7th-level Valeros in "Terror Under Alkenstar," a Tier 7-11 scenario, and give the credit to my 2nd-level witch. Valeros dies and, having no prestige and only 45 gold, can't be raised.

I had understood that the Chronicle for "Terror Under Alkenstar" would be applied, good or ill, to my witch once she finishes 6th level. It shouldn't be possible for a 2nd-level PC to die in a Tier 7-11 scenario.

--

Deviant Diva,

So you would tell the guy with the high-level PC to take a hike.

Would it make a difference if he had driven 90 miles to the game? Would it make a difference if he'd signed up (on Warhorn, say) before you had?

Nope, I would not tell the guy to take a hike, I would say exactly what I stated. You play that character you kill yourself and all of us. I have a problem with this, so I'll leave if you don't. Easy Peasy. Either way, you're dead.

Scarab Sages

-so confused on necro thread that's not linked-

Ok, if I was the low level player in that situation and the gentleman with the high level sat down at the table with low levels...

As a player I would kindly smile and say "I'm sorry, but the majority of us are low level and if we play at the tier your character would cause this session to be, you're committing suicide as well as killing all of us." Then I'd do a head tilt and simply add "I really don't like the idea of dieing and causing you to die because my character isn't as strong as yours, I can leave since I seem to have a problem with the situation... but no matter what, your character is dead in this leveled group. The only difference is mine won't be."

And leave the choice to the guy to remain or go. If he chooses to remain, I go.

Scarab Sages

-bites lower lip and tilts head-
There is no "Good, Better, or Best" answer to the original situation is there? Is said situation an exception to the rule? If it's an exception, must the rule be changed for something that rarely happens? If not, can we chalk this up to "a singular event," and leave be?

-hides-

Scarab Sages

lol Thank You!

Scarab Sages

Dang your logic!

But no, what I so not clearly meant to say is if something would normally threaten and provide flank, it should also be counted as weaponish.

All things that are considered threatening and provide flank should be considered a weapon, but not all weapons provide flank.

Or something. -hushes-

Scarab Sages

If you threaten with a wand and thus provide flank, I say yes, it's a weapon like thingie >.>'

Scarab Sages

-pops a cream and blueberry crepe in the cross looking mouth- Adapted from your recipe good sir~

Scarab Sages

Is there a link where PFS players can share artwork?

If not, is there a link for suggestions/feedback?

Scarab Sages

With all due respect, I started gaming when I was 12. The group did not make any exceptions for me where respect and rules were concerned. If I wanted to play, I was expected to be as respectful as the rest of the group and I was expected to learn the game. There was a three strikes and you're out rule that applied to all, regardless of age.

Now, this was long before Pathfinder and the people I gamed with were intelligent, took the game seriously but not too serious, and stated there was nothing that was expected of me that wasn't expected from anyone else at the table.

Adults were asked not to come back again/banned because of their behavior. As I understand it, adult players can still be banned in PFS for behavior, there should not be an exception for kids.

Maybe it's because I come from an old school military family but I completely understood this and became a better gamer for it.

And in the end, if you find the store you play at not to your liking for any reason, kids or otherwise, you do not have to return. It is Your Choice to be there.

*I actually stopped going to one game store because they had Magic the Gathering tournaments during PFS game day. I liked the players and GM, store has an excellent pfs selection, but couldn't hear anything above the tournament.

Scarab Sages

-dips a piece of waffle in chocolatey creme goodness-

hmmm..

-munchmunchmunch-

To much misplaced pride i think. If you two are the face of the Pathfinder Society, we might as well join the Consortium. Knowledge above all else, remember?

-shares-

Scarab Sages

Get your fresh light as air waffles here! Exotic fruit, whipped chocolate cream, and a variety of preservatives, jams, jellies, and syrups!

Scarab Sages

-flits away to Osirion Faction Talk-

Scarab Sages

-steals the recipe and alchemical book while the vendor is busy-

1 to 50 of 83 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>