Atlantis Mercenaries

Game Master EltonJ

This is a campaign based off the Mercenaries idea.


1 to 50 of 74 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

This is the gameplay thread for the Mercenaries game.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

It was a wild storm, and your ship was blown on the high seas. It was more like a hurricane. While the crew stayed aboard, most of you abandoned ship! Some were blown to the east coast, but you and your compatriots were blown westward.

You reach land, put to shore by your dinghy. You all rested for the night.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Waking up with the sunrise, Kara looks around. What does she see that's within view?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:
Waking up with the sunrise, Kara looks around. What does she see that's within view?

Basically a tropical paradise. Every tree is a palm tree, and there are coconut trees as well. You are also on yellow white sand. The birds are singing and there is a rustle in the trees.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Waking from their impromptu shelter under the dingy, where they had inverted it under a cluster of palms, Zhan stood up and donned his broad brimmed hat. Walking from the shelter of the trees, he looked around and did his best to take stock or the surroundings.

Out of habit, he drew his Revolver and checked the primers of the six loaded cartridges. Seeing all six fresh and ready, snapped the cylinder closed again and holstered the weapon. A mere touch of his hand to the Starfire Pistol confirmed it was at full charge.

He spotted the Cybernight up before him and standing a short d8srance off. He reached out with his senses, mostly by instinct, looking for food as much as anything else.

Notice: 1d8 ⇒ 71d6 ⇒ 3

As always since meeting her, Kara stood out as a potential source of energy and nourishment, and as an ally, he deliberately ignored her, as usual. Shelter was acceptable, in terms of the overturned rapid-deployment dingy, so water and nourishment was the next priority. He reached his senses further, hoping for some sort of prey, or at greatest need, the proximity of the closest ley line. He hated feeding from the things; about as satisfying as unsweetened grule. But when in a survival situation, knowing some energy was close at hand was better than not knowing.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Seeing that Zhan has woken up, Kara says "What a storm! Let's wake up our other companion and explore this island to see if there's any signs of civilization."


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

There happens to be a lot of wood to build a fire with.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

What's the general temperature at this time of the morning (chilly, cool, comfortable, warm)? That might tell us how cold it gets at night, and how much we need to prepare for that.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:
What's the general temperature at this time of the morning (chilly, cool, comfortable, warm)? That might tell us how cold it gets at night, and how much we need to prepare for that.

The temperature is warm.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

"Ok, so based on the temperature now, we probably won't have to worry about making fires to keep warm. Maybe to cook our food, if we can find any edible animals here."


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

You hear a rustle in the grass.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Where is everyone else???

Kara tries to locate the source of the sound :

Notice & Wild: 1d6 ⇒ 61d6 ⇒ 5
Notice ACE!: 1d6 ⇒ 2 = 8, Raise

And sees...???


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

No idea. Storm said he could be ready on short notice...

Notice/Psychic Sense: 1d8 ⇒ 41d6 ⇒ 5

Zhan cocks an eyebrow, dropping hand near his holster, and reaches his senses out around him.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:

Where is everyone else???

Kara tries to locate the source of the sound :

[dice=Notice & Wild]d6; d6
[dice=Notice ACE!]d6 = 8, Raise

And sees...???

Out of the foliage comes a blue monitor lizard. He has a mouse in his jaws.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Since we're mercenaries, do we all know each other (maybe having just met on the trip, or for longer), or were we just by chance all in the same lifeboat? Or do us players decide that?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:
Since we're mercenaries, do we all know each other (maybe having just met on the trip, or for longer), or were we just by chance all in the same lifeboat? Or do us players decide that?

Yep, you know each other. How long is up to you.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

I don't care how long. Zhan, you have an opinion?


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Couple years, I'm thinking. I have a backstory thought up for Zhan, but haven't written it out yet. Short version is that he was a Psi-Stalker for the Coalition States, until he acquired his Atlantean Symbiote. After discovering his superiors planned to dissect him in order to study the mind worms, he realized what a mistake it was working with them, stole a bunch if stuff, and buggered off.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Couple years, I'm thinking. I have a backstory thought up for Zhan, but haven't written it out yet. Short version is that he was a Psi-Stalker for the Coalition States, until he acquired his Atlantean Symbiote. After discovering his superiors planned to dissect him in order to study them, he realized what a mistake it was working with them, stole a bunch if stuff, and buggered off.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Sounds good to me.

"So, Zhan, want to explore the island and see if there's anybody else on it?"


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Zhan looks around, and casts a glance at the still sleeping figure.

"Might as well; that one doesn't seem to be stirring."


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Wandering in the general direction of the center of the island, we see...???


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

More brush and trees. You also see a stray cow.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

"A cow? Here on a tropical island? Maybe there's a farm nearby?" Looking for signs of a man-made garden or grove or something. If we don't see any, we keep on going until we see something interesting.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Give me a notice check to notice the farm.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Notice: 1d8 ⇒ 71d6 ⇒ 5


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Zhan wrote:
[Dice=Notice]d8;d6

Zhan, you notice a farm alright. Sugarcane, in rows as far as the eye can see.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

"Curiouser and curiouser," Zhan whispers to himself.

Common Knowledge: 1d4 + 1d4 + 1d4 ⇒ (4) + (4) + (2) = 101d6 ⇒ 3

Speaking aloud he asks, "A cane plantation? Don't those require prohibitive amounts of labour? So where are all the workers?"


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

"I don't know anything about cane farming - do they have to be tended to everyday, or only when they're 'ripe', or what?"


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

"I don't know the details, just something I read from the old world. Cane farming required so much labour that it became a focus for a conflict. Something about using slaves to manage the labour, and the numerous slave-revolts that resulted. I don't know one kind of farming from another, just that cotton and cane were the industries at the center of the conflicts."

"The cow seems out of place though. What kind of farm is this?"

Psionics/Farsight: 1d12 ⇒ 101d6 ⇒ 4

Zhan channels a little energy through his suit, bringing the heightened vision it enabled online. Having done so, he looked for any higher ground around, and scrambled up atop it. He looks over the fields, trying to spot any other animals, people, automated equipment, or structures that might go along with the facility.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Zhan wrote:

Psionics/Farsight: 1d12 ⇒ 10; 1d6 ⇒ 4

Zhan channels a little energy through his suit, bringing the heightened vision it enabled online. Having done so, he looked for any higher ground around, and scrambled up atop it. He looks over the fields, trying to spot any other animals, people, automated equipment, or structures that might go along with the facility.

You see a lot of slaves -- mostly human, but some are hulking giants (Kregorth's Lessons). They seem to be coming from somewhere, and working the sugarcane.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Maybe they like their coffee with sugar AND milk? ;)


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Haha!


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Kara asks Zhan"Should we go introduce ourselves to the owner and ask for help, or keep on moving? If there's a plantation on this island, there ought to be a village or something..."


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

"One plan is as good as another. I suggest we go and find the owner, as you said.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

We walk towards the sugar cane field, and ask the first person we meet where the owner's home is.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The first person you talk to points to a large house you can barely see. "The boss man is in the middle of the field," the human says.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

"Thanks." We head towards the middle of the field, looking for someone who's dressed better than everyone else.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

"You're welcome," says the slave.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Notice: 1d8 ⇒ 31d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (6) + (5) = 17

Zhan casts an eye about, looking at the slaves, the machinery, and anything else about. He is particularly keeping an eye out for muscle. Anywhere there are slaves, there are usually slave-bosses. He visually scans the slaves for signs of implants or devices that might be getting used to keep them in line, but he also scans every figure for weapons as as well, be they whips, electric prods, or riflemen in towers.

What species are the slaves? Mostly human, or mostly d-bee?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Zhan wrote:


What species are the slaves? Mostly human, or mostly d-bee?

They are mostly human, with a few D-Bees. You see other muscle keeping the slaves in line. They use whips and bats. Some of the muscle are D-Bees. Ogres and humans from other dimensions. Some of the humans are obviously D-Bees because they have dark blue or dark red skin.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Do we see someone dressed better or differently than everyone else?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:
Do we see someone dressed better or differently than everyone else?

Make a notice check with 1 extra die, since you are looking for someone in aristocratic clothing.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

I don't understand "with one extra die" - Savage Worlds always rolls with 2 dice, the Skill die and the Wild die. If this task is exceptionally easy, it's typical to add a +2 to the die roll.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Kara Swiftblade wrote:
I don't understand "with one extra die" - Savage Worlds always rolls with 2 dice, the Skill die and the Wild die. If this task is exceptionally easy, it's typical to add a +2 to the die roll.

Sorry, +2 to the roll.


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Notice & Wild,+2: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 51d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 = 5, Success

I see...???


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

You see a bright and colorful clothes on a gargoyle. He seems to be the owner of this plantation. He lives in a house on top of a steep hill. Somewhere where he can get to easily.


Male Psi-slinger: Parry 4 / RATN 4 (6/8/10) / Toughness 14 (6) (18 (6) vs Energy) / ISP 40/40 /Quick/Danger Sense/Psychic Sense/ Bennies 3/3

Zahn nods towards the gargoyle and starts moving himself and his partner towards him. He keeps his hands relaxed and visible, making no aggressive motions, but internally, he notes the position of each one of the slavedrivers, and prioritizes those he thinks might have a ranged weapon. Mentally, he creates a shooting order, deciding which of the drivers represent the greatest risk, and the order in which they would need to be eliminated. Zahn assumes that should the need arise, the gargoyle will be eliminated or captured by Kara.

Psionics Greater Boost Persuasion on himself and Kara: 1d12 ⇒ 81d6 ⇒ 1
That's plus two dice, plus a free reroll per action with the skill.
I went going to boost Kara's Persuasion, and then saw it's no higher than mine. You still have the Charisma bonus at least, though I suppose that might count against us when it comes to a slaver/supernatural creature...

He subtly catches eye contact for a moment with Kara, years of working together making his request for her to back up his approach just that easy. He knows as well as she does that strangers wandering onto a slave plantation for no reason are very likely to end up long term guests unless someone might coming looking for them. Best to make sure no one thinks they are worth the trouble.

Persuasion: 1d8 ⇒ 31d6 ⇒ 2
Free reroll: 1d8 ⇒ 51d6 ⇒ 3

"Morning. Is it safe to assume you're the party that owns this operation? We laid up on the shore near here on account o' the storm. We were hoping you might be able to tell where exactly we have found ourselves. There's about to be a mess o' search parties eager to pick us up, and I'd rather not cause any inconvenience to you and yours if it can be avoided."


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The gargoyle nodded a yes. He looked like he had wings sprouting from his back. He also had claws on his hands and feet. He was dressed in a simple, but expensive, loin cloth. It was a red loin cloth that covered his more delicate loins. His skin was grey and he was hairless. And in the morning sun he looked dapper. He managed this plantation, at least as far as you know.

"Welcome to Atlantis," he says. "Did you come from the beach? You look like the worse for wear. I have some human clothes, new ones, you can wear."


Female Human Parry 8 / RATN 4(6) / Toughness 15(6) / 3 Bennies

Common Knowledge: 1d4 ⇒ 31d6 ⇒ 5 = Success

What have I heard about Atlantis?

1 to 50 of 74 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Atlantis Mercenaries gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.