GAMEDAY #8-25: Unleashing the Untouchable - GM Nowruz

Game Master noral

Maps and handouts


1 to 50 of 481 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Background

The Pathfinder Society has secured the tools and uncovered the secret to shattering the Untouchable Opal and liberating the demigod within.

All the Pathfinders lack is an impossibly hot flame—one that can match the searing hatred of Ymeri herself.

The Society's best bet is Kandirion's Pyre, a supernatural forge situated where the elemental planes of earth and fire relentlessly batter each other.

Freeing a demigod could send ripples through the multiverse and attract the attention of powerful creatures.

Only the greatest agents stand a chance of breaking the Opal and surviving.

Please only dot in after being chosen for the game.


Please introduce and describe your characters.

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

An elf in a green and brown explorer's outfit, ink stains around the cuffs, wanders in, nose in a book. The title is written in Jistka, and the book itself appears to be a reproduction rather than the original.

Book title:
Gourd Farming for the Modern Era

On his back, he wears what most will recognize as a Handy Haversack. The extra sack strapped to the back of that is a little more unusual. A pouch-covered sash crosses his chest, and around his neck is a string of what seem to be miniature holy symbols. And unholy. And neutroly. Brown-and-dull-green hair is tucked into a headband. Four scroll cases are strapped to his thighs, while two wands and a dagger at his belt complete the look.

He looks up at the other Pathfinders in the room. "Oh, hello. Are you the rest of the team? It's been some time since I went on a mission, and I've been using the time productively." He holds up and waggles the book before looking back down to wait for the Venture-Captain.

Several seconds later, he seems to remember something and looks up again. "My name is Lichaam. The Society generally sends me to compensate for others' scholarly deficiencies." He says those last two words in a long-suffering and vaguely-disgusted tone. "I am also the Apatite Sage, of the Scarab Sages."

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 14 | HP 169/129 | AC 36 T 20 FF 31 CMD 30 | Speed 30' | F +25 R +31 W +25** | Init +12 | Per +24 | Performance 26/36 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 3/3| Spells 2/7, 1/7, 0/5, 0/5, 0/3 |Active: Barkskin, Height Aware, Mirror Image (8), B. Grace, Hope, Fervor, Elemental Might (4)

The aasimar is tall and slender, with feathered wings folded on his back. He has a vaguely Ifrit look about him, suggesting he is in fact one of the Emberkin.

He wears a mithral chain shirt and carries a buckler. Hanging from his belt are a whip and dagger, and outside his backpack is a light crossbow. None of the weapons look particularly impressive, although they do seem to be almost brand-new. Daathiel makes very few attack rolls.

"Ah yes, I too am often sent by the Society for such reasons. I know a fair bit about a lot of things, though the only topic on which I consider myself a specialist is the nature of the planes.

It seems we may have a wealth of academic expertise on this mission."

Jistkan:
"How is the book?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

You notice Fendahl to be a half-elf with a hint of wild in his appearance, especially his silvery hair and sideburns. His katana and blue dragonhide armor are covered with markings from the far East. A emblem of a golden lion on the chest plate.

Looking remarkably similar to the emblem, a large lioness follows Fendahl closeby, watching for commands or an occasional treat from his companion.

He bows in eastern fashion to those assembled.

Hmmm. Hail and well met, Masters. I am honored to travel with each of you. I am called Fendahl Silvermane and this is my new traveling companion, Rajah.

He nods to Daathien.

Hmm. It is wise to have companions with book knowledge. I was not gifted as such, and pull from the nature of lions and the elements.

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

Jistka:
"Always nice to meet a fellow scholar. The book is an interesting comparison to modern-day practices. Some of the new techniques suggested in this book were later found to lower soil fertility over the long term."

Lichaam takes a look at Fendahl's armor to see if he recognizes the heraldry. "You can always learn. Is there anything in particular you've found interesting in the past?"

T10 Knowledge (Nobility) for 36

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl looks at Lichaam with concern.

Knowing Tien but not Jistka...

Hmm. Masters Lichaam and Daathiel. With my knowledge of the language of my human heritage, I am able to make out only portions of the ancient language. My pardon if any of your comments were directed towards me.

Lichaam:
The armor is worked from blue dragon hide/scales and has heraldry of the estranged Lantern Lodge of the Pathfinders and the house of Amara Li worked into the overall lion themes.

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"He simply asked about my book. Oh, and before I forget again..." Lichaam concentrates for a moment before... meowing?

Animal (mammal):

"Greetings, Rajah. I would be happy to translate if you need me to."

Speak with animals (mammals only)


Female lion - AC 37 T 12, FF 30 - hp 148/148+40 Fort +12, Ref +13, Will +5* Init +4; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8 {airwalk, atavism, animal growth, longstrider, barkskin, lifebubble}

The lioness utters low growls and purrs.

Lichaam:

Hello.
I follow master Fendhal as sister Kirrah stopped life.
I not bite you. Master says you in pride.

Silver Crusade

Paladin 4 / Oracle 8 AC 27 {T:13/FF:27} HP 116/116 Init+0, Perception +2 | Fort +15, Reflex +9, Will +19 | Tracked Resources: Oracle Channel 7d6 (DC 20) 6/7 | Paladin Channel 3d6 (DC 16) 9/9 | LoH 4d6+2 {+1d6 or Mercy} 11/12 | Reroll 1/1

Into the room strides a half-elf in crimson and ivory plate mail. It is worn, but obviously well cared for. His shield is emblazoned with the symbol on Iomedea. He offers the room a bright smile. "Well met Pathfinders. I am Caduceus, and I am happy to make all of your acquaintance."

The Concordance

Male elf evoker (admixture) 14 | HP 114+36/114 | AC 21 / 17T / 18FF | Fort +20, Reflex +20, Will +24 (+2 vs enchantments), Immune: sleep | CMD 18 / 15 FF | Init +10 (+14 with HA) | Perc +38 | SM +9 | Speed 30' (flying F:60' / PS:100') | Spells 1st 6/8, 2nd 4/8, 3rd 4/7, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/6, 6th 3/6, 7th 0/4 | EM 14/14, VE 2/13 | Active Conditions: freedom of movement (constant), clear ear, heightened awareness, mage armor, overland flight, fly, life bubble, mass planar adaptation (plane of fire), darkvision, see invisibility, phantom stead (20' up), good hope, owl's wisdom, stone skin (140/150), prayer, long arm

Next into the room strides a pale, dark eyed elf wearing equally dark traveling clothes. Casting an eye over the assembled group he bows and flashes a mischievous grin.

"Good afternoon everyone. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting any of you before... I'm Kyron, I'm a student of the arcane arts, specifically those associated with the manipulation of the elements. I hope my skills can be of use."

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

Animal (mammal):
"Thank you for not biting me."

"Another student of the arcane? Lovely!" He carefully stows his current book in his haversack. "Do you by chance use a spellbook?"

The Concordance

Male elf evoker (admixture) 14 | HP 114+36/114 | AC 21 / 17T / 18FF | Fort +20, Reflex +20, Will +24 (+2 vs enchantments), Immune: sleep | CMD 18 / 15 FF | Init +10 (+14 with HA) | Perc +38 | SM +9 | Speed 30' (flying F:60' / PS:100') | Spells 1st 6/8, 2nd 4/8, 3rd 4/7, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/6, 6th 3/6, 7th 0/4 | EM 14/14, VE 2/13 | Active Conditions: freedom of movement (constant), clear ear, heightened awareness, mage armor, overland flight, fly, life bubble, mass planar adaptation (plane of fire), darkvision, see invisibility, phantom stead (20' up), good hope, owl's wisdom, stone skin (140/150), prayer, long arm

"I do, I use a number of them." replies Kyron "How about you?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl gravitates to Caduceus as the bookish sorts talk amongst themselves.

Bowing to the Servant of the Inheritor.

”Hmm. Master Caduceus, greetings. Most honorable is the way of the sword. Especially for those not gifted with passion for dusty documents. But as Aroden professed, balance is needed for survival. “

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"Quite a few. I've spent most of my career with the Pathfinders creating a spell library. I keep it in my tower."

Lichaam pulls out a small ironbound book, overlaid with silver. "I only take a smaller selection on misisons. A mere five spellbooks, including this one."

He gets a distant look in his eyes for a moment, then continues. "I was recently asked to chronicle the aftermath of a Pathfinder mission. The... what did they ask me to say...? Right. The "magical incident" impressed a number of spells on me. I'm curious to see if you have any that I don't know about."

Silver Crusade

Paladin 4 / Oracle 8 AC 27 {T:13/FF:27} HP 116/116 Init+0, Perception +2 | Fort +15, Reflex +9, Will +19 | Tracked Resources: Oracle Channel 7d6 (DC 20) 6/7 | Paladin Channel 3d6 (DC 16) 9/9 | LoH 4d6+2 {+1d6 or Mercy} 11/12 | Reroll 1/1

Smiling at his fellow half-elf, "Agreed! It is often better to go wide and shallow instead of deep and narrow." He nods toward the scholars, "They may be at that for a while. Perhaps we should find some refreshments?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl nods and bows.

”Hmm. Let us await the directives for the mission before we depart. As is usually the case, I am certain we will be told this is urgent and our refreshments will be delayed until after our triumphant return. “

The Concordance

Male elf evoker (admixture) 14 | HP 114+36/114 | AC 21 / 17T / 18FF | Fort +20, Reflex +20, Will +24 (+2 vs enchantments), Immune: sleep | CMD 18 / 15 FF | Init +10 (+14 with HA) | Perc +38 | SM +9 | Speed 30' (flying F:60' / PS:100') | Spells 1st 6/8, 2nd 4/8, 3rd 4/7, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/6, 6th 3/6, 7th 0/4 | EM 14/14, VE 2/13 | Active Conditions: freedom of movement (constant), clear ear, heightened awareness, mage armor, overland flight, fly, life bubble, mass planar adaptation (plane of fire), darkvision, see invisibility, phantom stead (20' up), good hope, owl's wisdom, stone skin (140/150), prayer, long arm

Kyron reaches into his haversack and pulls out 3 well thumbed volumes.

"I must confess my own collection is rather more limited that your's. I spent the bulk of my adventuring career investigating the vast catacombs below an old Azlanti ruin in the River Kingdoms, which while fascinating, did not yield up much in the way of new spell knowledge. That said, it was not total devoid of such things and I did manage to get my hands on a few ancient tomes which I found buried down there."

"One thing which may be on interest is my research into the common fireball spell. Most people regard it as a crude tool for incinerating one's enemies, but it's inter workings can be quite fascinating if you are prepared to spend the time to understand them. Over the years I've perfected a number of techniques for manipulating the energies within the spell, some of which I've learned to apply more broadly to the manipulation of elemental forces in general. It's intriguing stuff, although not necessarily the sort of thing which appeals to everyone..."

"Anyway, you are more than welcome to take a look..."

Kyron passes his books to Lichaam. (I should be updating my profile with the full list of spells over the weekend, so I'll let you know when its available.)

"I'd also be interested in taking a look at you collection if you would be amenable to that?"

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"That does sound interesting. I'm more of a generalist, though of course I have spells I prefer." Lichaam looks slightly embarrased as he continues. "I originally intended to memorize completely-different sets of spells on each Pathfinder mission, but found that some spells simply aren't as useful in the field."

"I've turned my own magical studies to the use of scrolls, and bolstering their energies with my own. The Thassilonians had an interesting approach to the subject, though it was interspersed with methods that I suspect were mostly ways of showing off to their peers. I can handle scrolls with spells up to around my current skill level, including divine and psychic scrolls. I can also squeeze a small amount of extra power out of any scroll, simply by repurposing that which was used to bind the magic to parchment."

UMD handles spells up to CL13 or CL15 on a '1'. Spells cast from scrolls take effect at +1 CL.

"But my all means, feel free to peruse my spellbooks. The collection is freely available to copy from." Lichaam pulls out four other spellbooks and passes the stack over. "Let me know if you need help understanding them - another lesson of Thassilon was a very compact spell notation."

Cypher Script feat means each spell only takes up half as many pages in a spellbook.

Silver Crusade

Paladin 4 / Oracle 8 AC 27 {T:13/FF:27} HP 116/116 Init+0, Perception +2 | Fort +15, Reflex +9, Will +19 | Tracked Resources: Oracle Channel 7d6 (DC 20) 6/7 | Paladin Channel 3d6 (DC 16) 9/9 | LoH 4d6+2 {+1d6 or Mercy} 11/12 | Reroll 1/1

Speaking a little louder with a wide smile upon his lips, "Yes, yes gentlemen. You both have thick tomes and large libraries with huge page counts. No doubt your fathers are very proud. Before this turns into something less civil, I would like to remind you both that you are allies here, not rivals."

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

Lichaam stares at Caduceus for a few seconds before asking confusedly "Why would it turn less civil?"

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 14 | HP 169/129 | AC 36 T 20 FF 31 CMD 30 | Speed 30' | F +25 R +31 W +25** | Init +12 | Per +24 | Performance 26/36 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 3/3| Spells 2/7, 1/7, 0/5, 0/5, 0/3 |Active: Barkskin, Height Aware, Mirror Image (8), B. Grace, Hope, Fervor, Elemental Might (4)

"Ah, your pardon, Lichaam - I think our holy knight of Iomedae was making a jest.
Many of those who take the path of the paladin could also have had passable careers as bards or entertainers."
Due to very high Cha.
"Perhaps Caduceus is considering the road not taken."

He looks around.
"I had been led to believe there would be a 'specialist' on this mission who could help with magical wards, but if they do not arrive, then I can fulfill that role."

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"If you say so." Lichaam doesn't appear to "get" the joke, but is willing to accept the explanation.

"I can assist with locks, but I only have a little practice with it. I was planning to purchase some specialized equpiment to help with that, but haven't yet done so."

He carefully sets Kyron's spellbooks down and pulls out a scroll. "Can anyone use a scroll of Heal? It's one of the few ways to reverse a Feeblemind effect, which would render me almost useless in the field."

Hand off the scroll to someone who can use it if it becomes necessary.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl holds out his hand to offer to take the scroll

”Hmm. Yes, this is one document I can use effectively. I also prepare heal as part of my morning ritual. “

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"Thank you. I've already had it happen to me once, and was glad to have the scroll available." Lichaam hands the scroll over.

"The depths of the Abyss are not a good place to be feebleminded."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl nods in agreement.

Hrmmm. It is my honor to serve. Some may argue there actually is no good place to be feebleminded, but your point about the Abyss is well noted.

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"I missed out on some of what was being explained shortly after the battle, too."

Lichaam picks Kyron's books back up and pages through them. "Huh. I remember wanting to find getaway a few missions back, but didn't have spare slots to use it that mission. Has that worked well for you? Has globe of invulnerability been useful, or are the opposing casters often too strong?"

"Wait a minute..." Lichaam's eyes go distant and start flicking back and forth, as though scanning pages. "How have I not scribed continual flame yet?"

The Concordance

Male elf evoker (admixture) 14 | HP 114+36/114 | AC 21 / 17T / 18FF | Fort +20, Reflex +20, Will +24 (+2 vs enchantments), Immune: sleep | CMD 18 / 15 FF | Init +10 (+14 with HA) | Perc +38 | SM +9 | Speed 30' (flying F:60' / PS:100') | Spells 1st 6/8, 2nd 4/8, 3rd 4/7, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/6, 6th 3/6, 7th 0/4 | EM 14/14, VE 2/13 | Active Conditions: freedom of movement (constant), clear ear, heightened awareness, mage armor, overland flight, fly, life bubble, mass planar adaptation (plane of fire), darkvision, see invisibility, phantom stead (20' up), good hope, owl's wisdom, stone skin (140/150), prayer, long arm

"If I'm honest, I've not made much use of Getaway so far. It feels like a useful tool to have in my book for when the right circumstances come up but not something I currently memorise on a regular basis. As for Globe of Invulnerability, that's one I memorise more often. I don't recall ever having to actual use it in anger, but the good thing about being able to convert any of my memorised spells into fireballs is that I can memorise spells like Globe of Invulnerability, which could be very useful in specific circumstances, and if I don't use them I can just convert the spell into another fireball. One thing I've definitely found Globe of Invulnerability useful for is as an extra safety measure when carrying out my research."

"Interestingly Globe of Invulnerability didn't work well for the necromancer whose book I copied it from. He'd decided to prepare it as he was aware of my preference for a certain spell. Unfortunately for him, I overheard him casting it, so changed my tactics. He looked rather upset about the whole thing."

"On the subject of Continual Flame, if anyone is interested in getting a permanent Continual Flame which is capable of countering Deeper Darkness, I'm more than happy to cast that for them if they can provide the material components. I'm guessing there won't be time before the mission but I can definitely do it afterwards."

(Kyron can currently cast a Heightened Continual Flame as a 7th level spell, the material component is 50g of ruby dust and it can be retained between scenarios, so you get to keep it as a permanent item.)

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"Especially with your area of focus. The abjuration would potentially be helpful for some long-term plans of mine, not to mention how it could help other lower-powered casters."

"I would appreciate a heightened continual flame when we have an opportunity. I have a standard Ioun Torch, but I use an oil of daylight for magical darkness. I never adventured with anyone capable of casting it, and only recently began exploring metamagic."

Dark Archive

Male N Elf Psychic 12 - Init. +4, Senses Low-Light Vision Perception +25 detect scrying, HA, AC 32/ touch 22/ ff 27, Deskari's Wing; hp 74/74 temp 54/54 DR 10/adm(150); F+16, R+15, W+21, Speed 35 ft., Climb 20 ft., Fly 60 ft. Carried: LogicRod, StaffMinArc, LckyHrshoe, Fr-LfClvr; Buffs: elem.mx4, invis, mir img 5, resist energ 30 (all), loc creat, det scry, mg armr, shld, msg, flse life, fly, see invis, hghtnd awrnss, telbnd x2, gdpe, owl; Alc: antitx/plg/verm/syrup | exh

As if on cue, yet another elf - albeit taller than the others and with a penchant for much darker robes - enters the Venture-Captain's office and stands absolutely silent, his cloak's deep hood cowled on his head, seemingly engulfing his face in darkness. The elf kin assembled nearby who have retained the keen senses of their ancestors can detect a faint droning sound emanating from this newcomer's general direction, which annoyingly dissipates instantly as they lend an ear towards it.

After a few moments of silence, he nods curtly to the two half-elves and the two elves, and then turns towards Daathiel, saying in calm even tones, "Well met Daathiel, Savior of the Sages. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."

Yanndu calls upon his mental powers to link his thoughts to the minds of Lichaam, Kyron, Fendahl and Caduceus. (Dur. 120 min)

Telepathically, the elf says ***...my mind to your minds, Returners and Their Children...I am Yanndu of the Dark Archives...I am here on behalf of The Ten with main task of cataloging any find we retrieve in this mission...my secondary objectives usually gravitate around the gathering of intelligence both novel and ancient...***

Yanndu is a psychic specialized in information extraction and divination. There's not much that can be hidden from him with spells like detect thoughts, ancestral memory and hypercognition. He can also read someone's aura as a full-round action instead of 10min via his Empath feat. This can be done within 30 feet of the target. Other than that he usually likes to link the entire party via Telepathic Bond before they enter a dungeon, or even before attending a social event, so as to relay all information instantly to everyone. He acts as the hub (or hubs, when with a large party that also includes NPCs).

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

***Telepathic Bond, is it? I haven't had occasion to actually cast the spell before. An interesting experience...***

Lichaam pulls out a journal and jots some things down. ***Would anyone else care to describe the sensation, for comparative purposes?***

He pauses, realizing something, before speaking out loud. "I'm half-Mualijae on my mother's side, actually. It seems the Ten were taking no chances with the research portion of this mission."

Take10 knowledge as appropriate to identify the droning sound

Silver Crusade

Paladin 4 / Oracle 8 AC 27 {T:13/FF:27} HP 116/116 Init+0, Perception +2 | Fort +15, Reflex +9, Will +19 | Tracked Resources: Oracle Channel 7d6 (DC 20) 6/7 | Paladin Channel 3d6 (DC 16) 9/9 | LoH 4d6+2 {+1d6 or Mercy} 11/12 | Reroll 1/1

The paladin looks about the room, momentarily confused. He asks aloud, "What magic is this?" He then stops, and focuses with effort. The words slowly form through the bond. ***What.*** ***Magic.*** *** Is.*** *** This?*** It is clear Caduceus is struggling to understand how the telepathic rapport works as everyone 'hears' him conceive the thought, then 'thinks' them into the link. It is clear the half-elf seems rather proud of himself as he figures out how to use this new magic.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Fendahl calms Rajah as the mind link is established. This is not as far of a stretch as the empathetic bond he already shares with the lioness

”Hmm, Rajah. All friends. “

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

***Just focus your thoughts as if you're forming divination's third classic spellform*** Lichaam helpfully tells Caduceus.

What do you mean that's not helpful? It seems perfectly straightforward to me.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

@ Yanndu -oops , I saw somewhere animal companions were included in link but Rajah not explicitly named in 120min duration. Disregard prior post.

Dark Archive

Male N Elf Psychic 12 - Init. +4, Senses Low-Light Vision Perception +25 detect scrying, HA, AC 32/ touch 22/ ff 27, Deskari's Wing; hp 74/74 temp 54/54 DR 10/adm(150); F+16, R+15, W+21, Speed 35 ft., Climb 20 ft., Fly 60 ft. Carried: LogicRod, StaffMinArc, LckyHrshoe, Fr-LfClvr; Buffs: elem.mx4, invis, mir img 5, resist energ 30 (all), loc creat, det scry, mg armr, shld, msg, flse life, fly, see invis, hghtnd awrnss, telbnd x2, gdpe, owl; Alc: antitx/plg/verm/syrup | exh

@Fendahl: yeah I'm limited to me plus 4 creatures at my level; I'll cast it again to encompass the entire party
@Lichaam: sound is similar to that of billions of insects at a distance that may be exceeding one mile, and produced by various species all swarming in and out of each other at a singular location of great size, choking the skies with an impossible density...

Yanndu senses Fendahl's will reaching out for his lion and nods mentally.

Casting a second telepathic bond to encompass Rajah, Fendahl, Daathiel and Caduceus

***... there... you four can fall back to this other corner of my mind... the one reserved for tactics, the hunt and ferocity... when you wish to retreat from overly academic discussions which are bound to occur in the other mindscape I created...***

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

No worries...if the lioness was only one not included, then totally fine to just leave her out.

Dark Archive

Male N Elf Psychic 12 - Init. +4, Senses Low-Light Vision Perception +25 detect scrying, HA, AC 32/ touch 22/ ff 27, Deskari's Wing; hp 74/74 temp 54/54 DR 10/adm(150); F+16, R+15, W+21, Speed 35 ft., Climb 20 ft., Fly 60 ft. Carried: LogicRod, StaffMinArc, LckyHrshoe, Fr-LfClvr; Buffs: elem.mx4, invis, mir img 5, resist energ 30 (all), loc creat, det scry, mg armr, shld, msg, flse life, fly, see invis, hghtnd awrnss, telbnd x2, gdpe, owl; Alc: antitx/plg/verm/syrup | exh
Fendahl Silvermane wrote:
No worries...if the lioness was only one not included, then totally fine to just leave her out.

Since Daathiel was also left out, this works out; Yanndu isn't aware of any other pet, hence the overlap in including Fendahl and Caduceus a second time...


The Pathfinder Society has called you to Lodehollow in the Opaline Vault, capital of the shaitans' Peerless Empire on the Plane of Earth.

A radiant orb of tourmaline sheds a pale green light tinged with pink down onto the reflective surface of an octagonal hematite table. The Master of Spells Sorrina Westyr stands nearby, taut with frenetic energy. Her Shoanti companion Grave Treader seems less fitful, yet nevertheless carries a touch of anxious anticipation in her stiff expression.

Sorrina Westyr taps the table once before speaking.

“We stand on the precipice of the greatest change the multiverse has witnessed in our lifetime or many of those that came before. Thanks to the tireless efforts of the Pathfinder Society, we have recovered the prison of Ranginori, one of the long-lost elemental lords. We are now poised to liberate him after his untold millennia of imprisonment. The combined might of the other elemental lords banished Ranginori, and it’s by the combined might of their elemental energies that he could be freed.”

She motions to Grave Treader, who places a magnificent war pick and a crystalline decanter on the table.

“These are the artifacts Fossilblight and The Breath of Lysianassa, powerful conduits of earthen and aquatic energies, respectively. We have communed with Ranginori directly to secure his mastery of winds, so all that remains is a source of unfathomably hot flame.”

PLEASE ALL SEE THE HANDOUTS! This is the briefing and we will start properly with the actual details of your mission when the con starts Sep 11.

Dark Archive

Male N Elf Psychic 12 - Init. +4, Senses Low-Light Vision Perception +25 detect scrying, HA, AC 32/ touch 22/ ff 27, Deskari's Wing; hp 74/74 temp 54/54 DR 10/adm(150); F+16, R+15, W+21, Speed 35 ft., Climb 20 ft., Fly 60 ft. Carried: LogicRod, StaffMinArc, LckyHrshoe, Fr-LfClvr; Buffs: elem.mx4, invis, mir img 5, resist energ 30 (all), loc creat, det scry, mg armr, shld, msg, flse life, fly, see invis, hghtnd awrnss, telbnd x2, gdpe, owl; Alc: antitx/plg/verm/syrup | exh

Telepathically, to everyone in the party but not Sorrina and Grave Treader, ***...in my travels I have been to the Plane of Water...I feel a bond with The Breath of Lysianassa...I think this bond could allow me to tap into the greater powers of the artifact...I can carry it...agreed?...***

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

”Hrmm. Yes agreed. No objection as I have no affinity to water. “

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

After additional thought

”Hrmmm. Ranginori has been contacted to secure his mastery of winds? Is he able to provide any other assistance? Why us and not some other denizens of the elemental planes? Djinni or the like? “

Silver Crusade

Paladin 4 / Oracle 8 AC 27 {T:13/FF:27} HP 116/116 Init+0, Perception +2 | Fort +15, Reflex +9, Will +19 | Tracked Resources: Oracle Channel 7d6 (DC 20) 6/7 | Paladin Channel 3d6 (DC 16) 9/9 | LoH 4d6+2 {+1d6 or Mercy} 11/12 | Reroll 1/1

As the others speak of details beyond his comprehension, he instead takes a moment to establish a sympathetic bond with the team.

Fine with Yanndu taking the 'water' item. Anyone NOT want Life Link?

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

"I suspect the Society was only able to commune with him because we hold his prison. With his being imprisoned so long, any djinn he thought loyal could have defected to Hshurha by now."

Just how long had he been imprisoned, anyway? Lichaam pulls out a reference and checks his notes.
T10 Knowledge (Planes): 10 + 31 + 2 = 43

"While Fossilblight seems to have a slight affinity for me, it should go with someone else. The training to actually wield the pick has not been a priority for me, and shifting books hasn't given me the muscles to put any power behind my swing."

***I have no objections, if you want to carry the Breath.*** Lichaam doesn't know why Yanndu is asking the question over the telepathic bond, but presumably he has a reason, and it gets answered the same way. Does he suspect spies? There are no scrying sensors nearby, at least... hmm.


Sorrina touches the top of the table, causing a series of tiny hexagonal columns—like pillars of basalt—to ripple outward across the table’s surface from her hand.

She looks at Fendahl, "Well, because we want to be the ones that help the demigod! And you are the best!" she says openly.

In their wake remains a three-dimensional representation of the Plane of Earth sculpted into the table’s dark, glossy surface.

Among mountains, immense stalagmites, and columns of natural igneous rock that must rise up to some unseen cavernous ceiling is a jagged rift where roiling lava flows.

Grave Treader gestures to the rift.

“The Society has identified a source of power we can use to free Ranginori, the Lord of Thunder. A scouting party blazed a path to a ruin called Kandirion’s Pyre, an ancient forge on the border of the Planes of Earth and Fire. We believe the Pyre’s forge can channel trueflame, a fire so hot that with the help of Fossilblight and The Breath of Lysianassa it could shatter the Untouchable Opal. The Society is providing you with all of these tools for the journey ahead.”

Sorrina touches the map again, and it changes to create a detailed overhead view of a crumbling ruin set on a jagged cliff surrounded by ancient stone outbuildings.

“The elemental lords Ayrzul and Ymeri have a combined force of elementals that numbers in the hundreds, and these groups patrol the region around Kandirion’s Pyre. Divinations confirmed that Ymeri believes that we are close to accomplishing our goal and that we may be seeking to use trueflame to that end. However, she has spread her forces among many sites near the Plane of Earth alongside Ayrzul’s legions, so she may not be totally convinced this is our plan. We will get you as close to the Pyre as we can with magic, and it will be up to you to circumvent or eliminate their forces to access the forge. We believe this central ziggurat is the front entrance to the Pyre, accessible by a fire-shrouded teleportation circle. Ymeri’s forces erected this fiery ward to discourage trespassers. If there’s another way in, we have yet to find it.

She seems a little concerned but continues.

“Take this next day to plan and make preparations. This is our best chance to free Ranginori, and we’ve only one chance to do it before the other elemental lords take notice. Do you have any questions?”

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

Lichaam pulls out several tomes and studies the table surface, looking for good routes. "Is the map accurate?"

T10 Knowledge (Geography) for a good route: 10 + 26 + 2 = 38
T10 Knowledge (Planes) for a good route: 10 + 31 + 2 = 43

"Where is the Opal itself?" he asks. It hadn't been brought out with the other two artifacts.

"What can you tell us about Kandirion's Pyre? Or "trueflame", for that matter?"

T10 Knowledge (Planes) on the Pyre: 10 + 31 + 2 = 43
T10 Knowledge (History) on the Pyre: 10 + 31 + 2 = 43
T10 Knowledge (Local) on the Pyre: 10 + 26 + 2 = 38
T10 Knowledge (Arcana) on trueflame: 10 + 32 + 2 = 44
T10 Knowledge (Planes) on trueflame: 10 + 31 + 2 = 43


Sorrina answers, “The map is accurate! Regarding hazards in different areas of the map: Our scouts indicate that gravity is more akin to that on Golarion rather than what it is here. However, it is also considerably hotter there and will pose a significant hazard with prolonged exposure. Unfortunately, we have no idea exactly what the conditions in the immediate area of the Pyre and within are like.” she says.

Sorrina nods when you mention the Pyre. “As best as we can tell the pyre is structurally sound. The exterior has taken some damage from time and the environment, but the subterranean interior should be mostly intact. We’ve seen no signs of major collapse. However, that precludes any deleterious effect destroying the opal might cause.”

Sorrina seems uncertain when you mention the flame. “Trueflame burns far hotter than any Material Plane fire. It is akin to hellfire, in that even creatures immune to fire’s caress can be burned away by its heat.”

When you mention the opal, she smiles.

"You will take the opal with you of course and it is right here! What you do if the opal doesn’t break is the question!" Sorrina says.

Grave Treader snorts out a laugh. “I would suggest that you then run, I suppose?”

Sorrina then adds, more diplomatically, “Try and contact us magically if you can after finding out that you cannot break the opal. We’ll do our best to find a means to extract you or provide further direction. If that doesn’t work, retrace your path and escape. Spending more than a few hours at the Pyre could attract very unwanted attention.” the master of spells says.

Knowledge Arcana or Planes DC15:

The border of the Planes of Earth and Fire containing Kandirion’s Pyre is highly volatile. Magma plateaus of the Plane of Fire clash against impossible cliffs of the Plane of Earth, and occasionally this friction unleashes massive flares of fire so hot it incinerates even fire elementals.

You know how the elemental plane works. See handouts.


Knowledge Arcana or Planes DC25:

Trueflame is a powerful, raw elemental fire born from the heart of the Plane of Fire. It penetrates even immunity to fire damage and is the primal flame from which some fire elementals are born. Religious and secular scholars debate whether this is a “fire of creation” that could have forged the very planes themselves.


Knowledge Arcana or Planes DC35:

Kandirion disappeared roughly 900 years ago when a particularly powerful flare of trueflame demolished the surface of Kandirion’s Pyre and consumed its inhabitants.
However, historical records contain little information regarding Kandirion, leaving details other than their name a mystery. Kandirion was fond of incorporating fractal geometry into their magic.

Scarab Sages

M Elf Wizard 7 (Scroll Scholar) / Cyphermage 6 | HP 82+11/82 | AC 13 16 20 / 12T / 11 18FF / CMD 18 | Fort +10 / Ref +10 / Will +12 +14 | Init +5 (always act in surprise) | Perception +17 +19, detect scrying

Lichaam chooses not to comment on the sleight-of-hand at work. The Opal was here now, and that was what mattered.

"I have a personal demiplane that we might be able to escape to before returning to Golarion, which could confuse pursuit. If nothing else, it's a destination that doesn't run the risk of dropping us into more danger. Did the scouts report anything blocking outgoing plane shifts?"

He then turns to the others. "For those who don't know, little aside from the name is known of Kandirion. The records are very spotty, so please let me know if you see anything on the subject, anything at all. Any new information might clear up a few minor mysteries."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf HP 130/130 (172 for troll) AC33(40 for troll) Touch 13 Flat 31; F+17 R+11 W+18(+2 ench,+4 fey) INIT+4 Perc+21 CMB+16 CMD+30 Lion Shaman 13/Samurai 1, {see in posts} Shape changed 1/5 Beads 0/3, Rerolls 0/3

Hrmmm. I do not like the sound of this trueflame. The artifacts will help. We do not run, but a tactical retreat would be a last resort.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 14 | HP 169/129 | AC 36 T 20 FF 31 CMD 30 | Speed 30' | F +25 R +31 W +25** | Init +12 | Per +24 | Performance 26/36 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 3/3| Spells 2/7, 1/7, 0/5, 0/5, 0/3 |Active: Barkskin, Height Aware, Mirror Image (8), B. Grace, Hope, Fervor, Elemental Might (4)
Fendahl Silvermane wrote:
Hrmmm. I do not like the sound of this trueflame. The artifacts will help. We do not run, but a tactical retreat would be a last resort.

"Oh, I run. I run all the time. Best part of the job."

Daathiel considers the information.
He can Take 10 for a 40 on Knowledge (Planes) so knows the information in the spoilers. He will share it.

"Caduceus, can you carry Fossilblight? You have had martial training, correct?"

"We should have backup fire protection in case The Breath of Lysianassa is lost or stolen."
Our psychic would not have a great CMD against Disarm or Steal, if the scenario wanted to be evil.

1 to 50 of 481 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / #8-25: Unleashing the Untouchable - GM Nowruz All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.