Motteditor's PFS2 1-14 Lions of Katapesh GD9 (Inactive)

Game Master motteditor

Map // Morale Points: 3


101 to 150 of 229 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

It occurs to me that maybe I should've bought a bow...

Tess walks the perimeter of the camp, searching for good sites to set up a watch — and hopefully an ambush! The hospital or supplies areas look like good options, unless we want to construct something new.

"If these 'cats' aren't expecting us, maybe that will give us an advantage," Tess ponders aloud. "Maybe we can set up a place to observe their approach and ambush them when they arrive? Hopefully Sandstone will be able to tell us whether they're real cats or something else."

Tess is also available to help construct fences or dig pits!

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

You set up your defenses -- fences around the goblins' sleeping areas -- and several fires to add additional protection and lights. Then you settle down to wait. Several hours after the sun sets, you start getting the feeling something's out there, the hair on the backs of your necks starting to prickle.

Initiative:

Loola: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Samar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Sanstone: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Scratch: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Teki: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Tess: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Antagonists: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Samar and Teki are up for Round 1/2, though they don't yet see any foes. Everyone can please place yourselves where you'd like to be on the map.

Paizo Employee

| HP: 20/20 | AC 18 | Class DC 16 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Hero Points: 1 Speed 25 ft. | Deception +0, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +3 | Active Conditions: Hunt Prey (cat)

Is the roof of the supply shed capable of holding Samar's weight? If so, she'll start there. Otherwise she'll start two space below Loola.

I just realized I forgot to heal myself. She would've drank a potion before the battle. Sorry for forgetting. Minor Healing Potion: 1d6 ⇒ 6 (She's at full HP).

Samar draws her bow and nocks and arrow, then watches her surroundings carefully.

She readies an action to fire her bow at the first enemy to enter the camp that she can see.

Readied Attack:
Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Yes, you can start on the roof. Also fine to heal, or there was plenty of time to Treat Wounds if you'd like to retcon that in.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch certainly offered to rub dirt in anyone's wounds, or you could take the crunch orc's offer to rub herbs in them. Your call. Best to save the potion for combat.

"Hey Samar, you gettin' antsy up there or just dizzy? See somethin'?" Scratch calls over, getting the feeling that something is about to happen but maybe its just gas...

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

OK, I'm going to DMPC Teki.

Round 1/2:

Teki: 23
Samar: 22
Antagonists: 19
Tess: 17
Sandstone: 15
Loola: 15
Scratch: 13

As Samar waits, Teki also realizes something is coming, and reaches out to touch Tess' weapon. "This will help," she says, as she hums a discordant rhyme. Using magic weapon, to make the target a +1 striking weapon for 1 minute She starts singing more loudly, inspiring courage in everyone (+1 to attack and damage).

Her timing is perfect as a moment later not one, not two, but three big cats come slinking into the camp. One comes in through the southern gate, crouching down near the wall it's taken cover, while two others scale the fence to the east and north!

And now the whole party is up for a full Round 1

Paizo Employee

| HP: 20/20 | AC 18 | Class DC 16 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Hero Points: 1 Speed 25 ft. | Deception +0, Diplomacy +0, Intimidate +3 | Active Conditions: Hunt Prey (cat)

Did Samar's readied attack hit one of the cats?

Samar focuses her gaze on the red cat and fires her bow, unleashing a salvo on the feline.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Attack 2: 1d20 + 6 - 3 ⇒ (5) + 6 - 3 = 8
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Hunt Prey (red), Strike, Strike.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch sits up with a start as Samar starts firing off volley's of arrows to the East "Looks like we're under attack kids, prepare ta skin some puss!" He spins around from the top of his fencing and sees the feline drop down over the northern wall.

"Buzz off ya rodent lovin' hairball!" He aims and fires his weapon.

Knowledge check? +6 Nature

Crossbow, Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 1 = 17
Damage (P), Precision: 1d10 + 2 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 2 + (8) + 1 = 20

Knowledge Check, Hunt Prey (Orange), Ranged Strike

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry, I remembered to think about it and then totally forgot to adjudicate the readied attack! It did, however, miss (and that's not accounting for any darkness while they're still outside the brighter light in the camp).

Radiant Oath

CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

"Bad kitty!" Loola scolds the large cat on the north end of the camp.

The goblin lass then casts a spell and telekinetically hurls a burning brand from the fire at the predator.

◈◈ Cast telekinetic projectile
telekinetic projectile attack, inspired: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 = 21
damage, inspired, B: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8

"Rrraaaawwwwrrrr!" she roars as ferociously as she might, hoping to scare off the cats. Loola then casts a shield spell and scales ripple into existence across her blue skin.

◈ Cast shield
This triggers her blood magic, giving her a total of +2 to AC (19) for one round.
If she is hit for damage, she will use ⤾ Shield Block to negate up to 5 damage.

Verdant Wheel

3 people marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

first of all, "crunch orc" is genuinely hilarious; secondly, aw hell, I didn't realize they could climb over fences

"Cat in the tents!!!!" Sandstone yells in a panic. He rushes to the orange cat, growing claws and trailing sand that evaporates before it hits the ground. He delivers a fierce blow as he arrives.

claw attack, inspired: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17
claw damage (slashing), inspired: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

◈ Stride
◈ Cast wild morph
◈ Strike

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch hollers out from his perch on the fence "Tekki, Tess! Wake up, we're under attack out here!" He bangs the butt of his crossbow on the wooden planking.

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

"This is probably a bad idea," Tess mutters to herself, but bolstered by Teki's song, she sprints towards the cat entering from the east(?) with her rapier drawn.

Stride, Stride, Strike (with +2 to hit, +1 dmg)!

Rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Piercing damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Round 1:

Tess: 17
Sandstone: 15
Loola: 15
Scratch: 13
Samar: 22
Teki: 23
Antagonists: 19

Tess rushes toward the nearest cat, but it ducks under her sword thrust at the last moment as it continues to move into the camp.

To the north of the camp, Sandstone rushes to defend the goblins, who start crying out in alarm as they wake to the noise of the battle. The crunch orc swipes at the cat but can't quite land a blow as it flinches back from the pain of Loola's magical projectile.

Scratch, realizing these are no normal big cats, but rather likely some sort of desert devil -- fiends in cat shape -- considering their behavior and fires wildly, bolt flying at the same time as Samar's arrows. Unfortunately, a critical failure, and Scratch will take a –1 circumstance penalty to all attack rolls made against the cats for the remainder of the adventure.

Teki, her attention suddenly drawn back to the moment of crisis from her sudden remembrance of a concern about the Shrine of the Failed, continues to shout encouragement to her companions -- "Like Mbali taught, we planned for this!" -- and fires her bow toward the cat to the south. Inspire courage, then Strike, then Take Cover She takes cover as the cat rushes forward and Pounces on her. Its jaws rip into her as it takes hold, raking its claws on her. 18 hp, plus Teki is grabbed

Sandstone, meanwhile, can do nothing but watch in horror as the cat next to him snatches a goblin out of a tent, and starts pulling him through the camp as the poor worker cries out pitifully. The final cat rushes past Tess to pounce on Loola. Despite her magical shield, it snaps its jaws on her and grabs hold, though the little gobling is able to avoid its claws. 8 hp, after the Shield Block

Mechanics:

Scratch Recall Knowledge: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Short bow+I.C.: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 = 20
Piercing damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Yellow jaws: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Yellow Grab: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Yellow claws: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 10 - 4 = 19
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Yellow claws: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 10 - 4 = 11

Red jaws: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Red Grab: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Red claws: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 10 - 4 = 16
Red claws: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 10 - 4 = 9

Orange: 8
Yellow: 5
Teki: 18

Party is up again; don't forget Teki's inspiration.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Shouldn't a critical failure on a recall knowledge check just give false information? Where does the -1 attack penalty come from?

"Devil cats! We're dealin' with frickin' DEVIL cats here people!" The old Dwarven miser clenches his teeth as he drops down off the fence, knowing full well he'll feel the impact in his knees tomorrow.

"I got yer back Bloo, stay away from Torag's forge a bit longer kid!" He drops his crossbow to the ground and draws out his short sword, nimbly slashing at the orange cat's side, fruitlessly.

Short Sword (S), Inspire vs Orange: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 = 12
Slashing Damage, Inspire: 1d6 + 1 + 1d8 ⇒ (6) + 1 + (3) = 10

Actions: 5' guarded step down, draw sword, strike. Free action drop my crossbow.

Radiant Oath

CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

"Me hate Devil Cats, Scratch!" Loola shouts. "RRRRAAAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRR!" she roars more emphatically this time.

With an arcane word in Draconic, sharp and shiny blue claws extend from her fingers, and she slashes at the devil cat.

◈ Cast dragon claws
This triggers her blood magic, giving her +1 AC for 1 round.

◈ Attack
dragon claws attack, inspired: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 1 = 14
claw damage plus electricity: 1d4 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 1 + (1) = 5
Hero Point!
dragon claws attack, inspired: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 1 = 15

◈ Attack
dragon claws attack, inspired, iterative: 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 - 4 = 8
claw damage plus electricity: 1d4 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (5) = 8

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

It's specific to the scenario. I suspect that this was still early enough that they were playing with Recall Knowledge a little? Because, yes, normally it would just be false information. Or maybe they figured because they're cats, it's not like I can give you wrong info about a weakness/resistance?

And while I'm sure you all probably remember, don't forget you have Hero Points.

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

Tess runs after the cat, flanking it while it's focused on Loola and wielding her rapier desperately.

Stride, Strike, Strike

Rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

if 1st attack hits:

Piercing damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Sneak attack damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Rapier: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

if 2nd attack hits:

Piercing damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Sneak attack damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Edit: yikes. Using hero point to reroll first attack...

Rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Edit2: well, it got 1 better! (sob) Also realized I forgot the flanking bonus to hit on these, but it wouldn't have mattered.

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

We. Are. Sucking.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

Sandstone, growling, dashes in the wake of the goblin-dragging orange cat and launches a furious assault with his claws.

claw attack, inspired: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 = 21
claw damage (slashing), inspired: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

claw attack, inspired, iterative: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 1 - 4 = 11
Yikes, hero point reroll.
claw attack, inspired, iterative: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 1 - 4 = 16
claw damage (slashing): 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

◈ Stride
◈ Strike
◈ Strike

Radiant Oath

"Goddess of Forgotten and Unlikely Heroes" | 820-2002 | Female Goblin Acolyte Blessed One Bard and Starstone Hopeful 7 HP 62/62 | AC 24 | F +11 R +16 W +15 | Perc +13 | 30 Speed | Focus 3/3 | Spells 1st 3/3, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 2/2 | Hero Points 3/3 | Campaign Coins 1 | Exploration - Scout | Active Conditions: ---

"Aaaaaaagh! Devil Cats hurt!"

Escape: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Hero Point Escape: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Teki makes a valiant attempt to escape the devil cat.

If she succeeds, she puts distance between herself and the devil cat, seeking cover from her teammates Scratch and Sandstone.

She continues to inspire courage.

◈ Escape
◈ Stride
◈ Inspire Courage

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Tess, flanking bonus actually isn't a bonus anymore; the creature is instead flat-footed to you, which gives it a –2 circumstance penalty to AC.

Round 2:

Tess: 17
Sandstone: 15
Loola: 15
Scratch: 13
Samar: 22
Teki: 23
Antagonists: 19

Tess tries to stab the creature attacking Loola, but can't quite hit it as the flickering flames all around the camp cast crazy shadows. Loola herelf and Scratch similarly can't get it off her.

Sandstone has a little more luck, slashing the orange cat as it drags the goblin off, while Teki manages to escape, diving behind her larger companions.

Undaunted, the cats continue their assault. The orange cat continues its retreat, dragging off the poor goblin into the night to the south of the camp, while the yellow one moves past it, leaping on Scratch. The dwarf manages to fend off its jaws, but catches one claw as it tries to rake across his chest 8 hp. The other cat snaps at Loola, sinking fangs into the little sorceress before tossing her limp body aside Oh no! Crit! That's 26 hp damage; Loola is reduced to 0 hp and is dying 2 before spinning to claw at Tess 5 hp.

Mechanics:

Yellow jaws: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Yellow claw: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 10 - 4 = 23
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Yellow claw: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 10 - 4 = 17

Red jaws: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Red claw: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 4 = 24
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Red claw: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 10 - 4 = 14

Orange: 13
Yellow: 5
Teki: 18

Grams is never letting you lot go off adventuring without her again!

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch watches as his overgrown orange tabby drags off a goblin, unfortunately he's got bigger problems. "Bloo I said stay AWAY from the forge ya idge-jit!" Ignoring the yellow cat clawing him up, Scratch moves over, standing astride the dying Bloo and lining up a sword thrust into the blood red killer.

Short Sword (S):Flanking, Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 = 20
Damage, Precision, Inspire: 1d6 + 1 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + (1) + 1 = 6

Stride away from yellow (aoo maybe?), Study Prey vs Red, Strike. I'm going to assume that Sandstone or Tekki drop some healing to at least stabilize Bloo as all I have is a potion.

Radiant Oath

"Goddess of Forgotten and Unlikely Heroes" | 820-2002 | Female Goblin Acolyte Blessed One Bard and Starstone Hopeful 7 HP 62/62 | AC 24 | F +11 R +16 W +15 | Perc +13 | 30 Speed | Focus 3/3 | Spells 1st 3/3, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 2/2 | Hero Points 3/3 | Campaign Coins 1 | Exploration - Scout | Active Conditions: ---

"Hang in there, Bloo!" Teki casts Soothe on Bloo, and continues to Inspire Courage.

Soothe: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

Ok, I'm going to assume that Bloo is stabilized by that action and do another thing.

Watching the orange cat escape into the darkness, Sandstone howls in frustration. He steps toward the yellow cat and channels his rage into two clawed punches.

claw attack, inspired: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11
claw damage (slashing), inspired: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

claw attack, iterative, inspired: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 1 - 4 = 12
claw damage (slashing), inspired: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

This is not going great, pals

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

Fear for her friends and Teki's song fuel Tess's repeated attempts to drive off the cat before her.

First Strike:
Rapier, currently extra +2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Piercing damage, extra +1: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Sneak attack/flanking damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Strike 2:
Rapier, currently extra +2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Piercing damage, extra +1: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Sneak attack/flanking damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Fueled by fear and fury, Tess also roars at the unnatural cat, hoping her frenzy will startle it into leaving:

Intimidation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Round 3:

Sandstone: 15
Scratch: 13
Tess: 17
Samar: 22
Teki: 23
Loola: 15
Antagonists: 19

Scratch and Tess game up on one of the cats, thanks to the cat's distraction from Scratch, cutting it badly, as Samar steps to a better vantage point and continues to shoot at it. Both arrows hit, causing the cat to yowl in pain, but it stays on its feet and sinks its fangs into Scratch Crit! 10 hp slashing total. It spins, pawing at Tess, who's able to keep its claws off her, before darting back into the goblin tents.

Nearby, Teki manages to heal Blue, waking her up to see Sandstone and the other cat clawing at each other. It slashes the half-orc badly along his upper thigh Crit! 10 hp slashing total, before retreating, climbing over the fence into the goblins' encampment, where you can hear a cry of pain.

Mechanics:

Samar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
1d6 ⇒ 4

Samar: 1d20 + 6 - 3 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 3 = 21
1d6 ⇒ 4

Yellow: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Yellow: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Red jaws vs. Scratch: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Red claws vs. Tess: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 10 - 4 = 8
Red claws vs. Tess: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 10 - 4 = 12

Orange: 13
Yellow: 5
Red: 22
Teki: 18

Blue is now at wounded 1, with 9 hp; party is up. Blue would have been able to act in that round, so she can give me two rounds worth of actions.

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

"Grams!" Loola calls out instinctively, before looking around confused.

"Devil cats!" she curses.

Without bothering to stand up, the wounded goblin launches a volley of magical bolts of energy at the nearest feline.

◈◈◈ Cast magic missile
magic missile: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 3, 2) + 3 = 11

Loola is going to wait on her second round of actions to see what the rest of the party does. I have another magic missile, but I want to wait to see if it's needed first.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch bends over just in time to see three magic missiles fly between his legs "You tryin' to fry my ticker kid? Geezus!" He grumbles a bit then takes off after the red cat into the tent.

"Time ta meet yer maker DEVIL CAT!" He bellows then slashes with his short sword and takes cover behind a tent post.

Short Sword (S): Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 1 = 11
Damage, Precision, Inspire: 1d6 + 1 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (5) + 1 = 9

AC 20 for the round from take cover. Bleh, I'll use my hero point. We gotta get these damn cats dead!

Short Sword (S):Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 1 = 26

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Blue's missiles kill the reddish-furred cat, leaving Scratch to rush after the other one. He manages to close on it and drive his sword deep into its shoulder, but it still hisses furiously at him, remaining on its feet.

Samar manages to hit it once with an arrow, but it's still not enough to put it down.

Changed Scratch to Stride twice to get to the remaining cat in the camp; Samar Hunted Prey and then fired two arrows.

Mechanics:

Attack 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Attack 2: 1d20 + 6 - 3 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 3 = 15
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Yellow: 25

Still have Teki, Loola, Tess and Sandstone up.

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

Is Tess able to get between the tents? If so, she'll Stride x2 and then Strike from behind the cat. If not, I'd rather wait and stay by Loola in case the cat tries to flee this way.

if Tess can advance:

Rapier, currently extra +2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Piercing damage, extra +1: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Sneak attack/flanking damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

Spoiler alert: not helpful...

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

Sandstone takes several rapid, deep breaths, trying to calm his racing heart, trying to still his blood, trying to hear the voice of the wind. In a sudden gust, the memory of Basuro Village drenches his senses: the scent of pine, the sound of children laughing, the brightness of snow, the sharp cold of a snowball hitting his fa--

Sandstone opens his eyes and smiles wickedly.

Breathing his thanks to the wind, he cups his hands around empty space, then blows between his thumbs. From the other side of his hands, paradoxical in the desert heat, his breath emerges as fog, then becomes a crystalline sparkle, then becomes powdery snow. He opens his hands to reveal a perfectly spherical, perfectly frozen snowball. Asking once more for the wind's guidance, he throws it with all his strength at the remaining cat.

Guidance
◈◈ Snowball

spell attack (snowball), inspired, guidance: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 1 + 1 = 17

thank the wind!! that better be a hit.

snowball damage: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

Yellow cat also takes a -5-foot speed penalty for 1 round.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Round 4 continued:

Sandstone: 15
Scratch: 13
Tess: 17
Samar: 22
Teki: 23
Loola: 15
Antagonists: 19

Tess makes her way through the tents, but tangles herself briefly in some of the ropes, throwing off her aim. Worse, the cat flinches from her blow, causing Sandstone's snowball to fly just over its head. Just missed it Almost forgotten, Teki, however, casts another spell of her own, blasting the cat with three magic missiles, which are enough to put it down.

It takes a few minutes for the screaming to stop, but the goblins finally calm down to see their losses -- two goblins killed.

"See," Zig says, "I told you. They are not normal! They just keep coming back, killing and killing. And they hunger for goblins especially!"

3d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 3, 1) + 3 = 10

Radiant Oath

CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

"Whew!" Loola does not bother standing up immediately. She lays her head down on her hands and takes a quick rest.

Loola would like to spend 10 minutes focusing. @Scratch or @Sandstone: she could also use some more healing.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

ayfkm these jerks are AC 18???

I'd also like to restore focus. And whoever else needs hp can feel free to roll me for it.

Sandstone rushes to Loola's side, heedless of his own wounds, fumbling in his bandoliers for his healing herbs.

Natural Medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

I think that's a critical success! Roll 4d8!

Breathing a sigh of relief, Sandstone settles back and treats his own wounds.

Natural Medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 Or not.

"I really, really want to know where that cat took that goblin," Sandstone growls. He starts casting about for traces of goblin blood or cat prints.

Track: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

seriously with these rolls

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

You have plenty of time to Refocus and do any healing you need to do.

In the darkness, and with all the chaos around, Sandstone has trouble finding any tracks but may still have his Hero Point available?.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch gives the two defeated devil cats an extra beheading hack from his short sword "Don't take any chances, devils are cunnin' things!" He wipes the blade off on their fur and collects up his weapons, reloads his crossbow and checks on everyone... even the goblins. Spend 200 years killin' greenskins and now we're all buddy buddy. Lucky fer them I'm Scratch 2.0. Scratch 1.0 wouldn't be near so welcomin'.

"Hey Sandy, don't wander off followin' that cat. Let's get everyone patched up, just in case them slink back in fer some late night gobbie snacks." While he's interested in following the tracks, it isn't his first priority: fixing up his fellows (and himself) has to take precedence.

I'm not sure who's injured and how much. Typically the GM keeps track of it so I have gotten into the habit of not. Is there a recap somewhere?

While Sandstone and Bloo lay about 'thinking', Scratch pulls out a bandage or two, and some fresh dirt to patch people up.

Please roll your own checks. Scratch is +6 vs DC15, 2d8 healing on a success. Each check takes 10mins and can't be redone for an hour.

Medicine for Scratch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 222d8 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

Tess, shaken by the difficulty of the fight and the resulting injuries and losses, makes her way back to Blue as the adrenaline fades. "Grams would be so proud," she whispers to her friend. She sits with Loola while everyone catches their breath and tends their injuries, then begins to investigate the camp, looking for clues or tracks.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

dear gods, useless

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

I typically let players handle their hp, unless I'm having to DMPC them (i.e. Teki, who's down 18, and Samarm who is unhurt).

As you gather yourselves, Samar climbs down from the roof and studies the tracks, hoping she might have more success. She'll Hunt Prey, then Track.

Samar: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19

"I think I can follow it, once we're all ready," she says, returning back to the relative safety of the encampment.

Radiant Oath

CG Female Goblin (Unbreakable) Sorcerer (Draconic) 1┃hp 18/18AC 17┃Fort +5 · Ref +6 · Will +4Per +2 · darkvision┃Speed 25┃ Acrobatics +6 · Absalom +4 · Arcana +4 · Deception +7 · Diplomacy +7 · Goblins +4 · Intimidation +7 · Nature +2 · Stealth +6 · Thievery +6┃ Focus 1/1Spells 1st—3/3┃Active Conditions mage armor · wounded 1Hero Points 0

Medicine from Sandstone: 4d8 ⇒ (4, 7, 6, 6) = 23

"Me feel better now." Loola gives Sandstone an exceptionally large hug.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Wow, Scratch was down to 3/21. He's back to 9/21 and can make another check to heal himself in 50mins. Scratch isn't comfortable following the devil cat until we heal up, especially considering how close we were to total destruction there. Any chance of a group heal since I assume most of us are wounded?

"Good work Samar, frickin' devil cats are well known to be sneaky, murderous fiends of the highest degree!" He shakes his fist in the air.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

The goblins told you the cats don't usually attack more than once in a night, so you could probably rest and wait until morning if you want.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

What are the mechanics for healing around a long rest? Do I just keep rolling medicine checks each hour? I spent my hero point during the fight, btw.

Sandstone sighs and settles down by the fire. "That could have gone a lot better," he grumbles, only mollified slightly by Loola's small yet mighty hug. He busies himself by making a few more herbal poultices and applying them to the various clawmarks amongst the scars littering his lean frame.

natural medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

The poultices don't seem to have their usual effect, though. Maybe the herbs in this desert just have different potencies, he thinks to himself miserably.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Rest and Daily Preparations:

You perform at your best when you take enough time to rest and prepare. Once every 24 hours, you can take a period of rest (typically 8 hours), after which you regain Hit Points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) times your level, and you might recover from or improve certain conditions (page 453). Sleeping in armor results in poor rest that leaves you fatigued. If you go more than 16 hours without resting, you become fatigued (you cannot recover from this until you rest at least 6 continuous hours).

After you rest, you make your daily preparations, which takes around 1 hour. You can prepare only if you’ve rested, and only once per day. Preparing includes the following:
• Spellcasters regain spell slots, and prepared spellcasters choose spells to have available that day.
• Focus Points, other abilities that refresh during your preparations, and abilities that can be used only a certain number of times per day, including magic item uses, are reset.
• You don armor and equip weapons and other gear.
• You invest up to 10 worn magic items to gain their benefits for the day.

You could also do Long-Term Rest: You can spend an entire day and night resting during downtime to recover Hit Points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) multiplied by twice your level.

That critical failure would actually inflict HP damage! But since you have time to rest and someone is trained in Medicine (or Nature), let's say everyone wakes up in the morning at full HP. You can follow the cat's trail or let me know if you have another plan.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

It was a long evening, full of tending wounds and hopping up at night sounds, just in case the cats came back.. but they never did. Scratch sleeps in far later than usual, needing the extra sleep to make up for the night before. His old bones don't function without enough rest!

"Eh, time ta rise, we got a stray cat ta find, right Samar!" Scratch starts stuffing his face with a cold breakfast and dragging his bolt tips over a stone to keep the edge fresh.

Our current only obvious lead is the cat trail. Scratch will also check on the cat corpses from the night before then help Samar track if that's our direction.

Verdant Wheel

CG Male Half-Orc Druid (Wild) 1┃ hp 19/19┃AC 15┃Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +9┃Per +7, low-light vision┃ Speed 25┃Athletics +4 · Herbalism +3 · Intimidate +3 · Nature +7 · Stealth +4 · Survival +7┃Focus 1/1┃Spells 1st—1/2┃Hero Points 0/1┃Active Conditions:

Sandstone quietly busies himself with the usual morning preparations: stretching, feeling the wind, eating a breakfast. Despite trying very hard to pretend like everything is normal, his performance is marred by the persistent scowl plastered across his face.

As Scratch starts talking about tracking cats, he finally perks up a little, and goes to stand impatiently by the gate.

Paizo Employee

CG Human Barrister Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 17 | F +3 R +8 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +6 | Init +2 | speed 30 ft.| Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: --

Tess sleeps fitfully, shaken badly after seeing her friends so seriously wounded. Eager for a fresh start, she does a round of the camp in the morning, helping some of the goblins with breakfast preparations and other tasks, before joining Sandstone at the gate. "I hope we fare better today," she remarks as she squints out across the sands.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

Samar is able to lead the group after the tracks, made all the easier by the trail of blood from the goblin. The path through the desert doesn't take that long before you find yourself at the mouth of a dark cave in a high cliffside. Entering, you can hear some movement from deeper inside, and realize you are likely not alone here!

Initiative:

Loola: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Samar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Sanstone: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Scratch: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Teki: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Tess: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Antagonists: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

The entire party is up. I've put some enemies on the map that you'll be able to see if/when you advance. You'll need some sort of light source in here, as well.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Following tracks into the cave, would we see any other tracks?
Survival to Track: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Entering a cave Scratch takes out and checks the load on his crossbow before entering. "Show yerselves devil cats, we hear ya! Come out with yer paws up!"

Scratch pleasantly asks for the surrender of the residents of the cave,then, if they resist, he sends a bolt in their direction...

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13

Readied Attack: Crossbow: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Damage (P): 1d10 ⇒ 5

One action for the diplo check, 2 for the readied.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

You don't see any other tracks, but there's a lot of traffic and hard rocks, so it's hard to make too much more sense of them.

There's also no sign of anyone or thing surrendering.

1 to 50 of 229 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's PFS2 1-14 Lions of Katapesh GD9 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.