The Extinction Curse - A Tour of the Hinterland of Absalom

Game Master Luke_Parry

MAPS

Loot Sheet

Prestige: 15(+1)(+2)
Petty Cash: 135.45gp
Upgrades: Water-Marked Tickets, Spotlights, Big Tent


1 to 50 of 1,188 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

The Circus of Wayward Wonders performs in an enormous tent capable of holding hundreds of people—and that’s a good thing, as it seems the entire population of Abberton has turned out for the show. Many of the town’s most prominent citizens, including the mayor, are among the throng jostling for seats, peering at the three rings that fill the center of the tent, and waiting excitedly for the show to begin.

As the lights go down and the audience settles onto their seats, the circus’s performers take their places backstage, awaiting their cues. Suddenly, several of the performers closest to the curtain that separates the three rings from the rest of the tent leave their assignments, gathering in a small crowd to exchange frightened whispers and hushed gasps. Amid the group, his body contorted as if caught forever in the throes of terrible pain, is the corpse of ringmaster Myron “Thunder” Stendhal. Everyone in the circus knew Myron for his amazing, powerful voice that could bring instant silence to the largest crowd, and he knew everything there is to know about putting on a successful performance. Now he’s dead, but the crowd is still out there, and they’re expecting a show...

As the other performers stare at the corpse, whisper to each other, and anxiously peer around the curtain, the Professor—a thin and frail veteran of the circus—looks up. “Well, what are you all standing around for?” he asks, his weak voice barely audible in the hushed silence. “Have you seen that crowd? We haven’t ever had the tent packed this full. There’s a show to put on, and we have to find a way to do it. So finish your makeup, get into your costumes, and send in the clowns!”

Feel free to introduce yourself.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

A lithe looking half-elf, dressed in foppish attire with a longbow on his back, and two bandoliers of daggers across his chest, and a black bear cub at his side, frowns.

This is not an auspicious start...

Nevertheless, heeding the Professor's words, he gets ready for Show!

Sovereign Court

Before the show can start...

Charles notices that several of the other Performers appear to be having trouble...

AXEL THE UNPROVEN:

Axel has been following the Circus of Wayward Wonders for about a week, begging Myron to give him a chance to audition. Myron always turned him down in public but, among the other circus performers, he acknowledged that he was testing Axel’s commitment to circus life. Myron never got the opportunity to give Axel his chance.

You know that Axel hasn’t ever performed in front of an audience before, and the other entertainers express overt scepticism about his abilities. Axel insists that he’s ready and begs to be included in the show; however, when his time comes to perform, he freezes with stage fright and won’t leave the backstage area.

Diplomacy or Intimidate to get him to Perform.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles takes Axel aside, and tries to get him to take some deep, calming breaths...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19.

Sovereign Court

Charles manages to calm Axel down!

Axel heads out into the ring, and produces doves from underneath his cloak, which fly in circles around the big-top, singing in harmony as they swoop down, and deliver sweets to children...

Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20.
Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12.
Nature: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (14) - 3 = 11.

...and his performance goes off without a hitch, much to Axel's relief.

At this point in time, Charles notices that a trio of mean-spirited gamblers are moving through the crowd, loudly offering bets on various calamities. They provoke the crowd, asking questions that inspire fear or panic: Will one of the Feather-Fall Five fall to their death? What are the odds on each family member to die? Will Mordaine the Magician drown in the water tank? Will Mister Tickles eat someone? These gamblers are plainly bothering other members of the audience with their noisy jeers.

You can try Diplomacy or Intimidate to scare them off, individually.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles frowns, and goes over to 'talk' with these gentle-beings.

"You are scaring the patrons. Please leave, or we will have words..."

Intimidation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9.
Intimidation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7.
Intimidation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8.

When that doesn't work, he sighs, and tries punching them, putting on a show!

Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11, for 1d4 ⇒ 3 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13, for 1d4 ⇒ 2 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10, for 1d4 ⇒ 2 damage.

Sovereign Court

Charles gives one of them a gut-punch, and he decides to bugger off.

The other two, however, start swinging!

"Look at this berk, Vince; he thinks he's better than us."
"More fool him, Kev; we'll show him the folly of his ways!"

Thugs: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19.
Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13.

The thugs move in, start swinging...

Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22, for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5, for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 damage.

Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25, for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21, for 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage.

...and get in a couple of good punches!

Rumble in the Stands, Round 1:

Thugs (-, -)
Charles (-14)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles, reeling, fights back!

Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11, for 1d4 ⇒ 1 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6, for 1d4 ⇒ 1 damage.
Fist: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17, for 1d4 ⇒ 3 damage.

Fist: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25, for 1d4 ⇒ 1 damage.
Fist: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5, for 1d4 ⇒ 3 damage.

He then casts Shield, causing a tracery of golden scales to flare up across his skin.

Sovereign Court

Charles smacks each of them once, and they promptly decide that they don't want to deal with a target that fights back, and promptly bugger off.

Combat over.

---------------------------------

GNAWED NETS:

As a ring is being prepared for the Kanbali family, a group of acrobatic performers collectively known as the Feather-Fall Five, these tight-rope walkers discover their nets have been sabotaged. The entire family comes to you and asks what to do.

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14.

Charles realises that the nets have been chewed through by rats, but targeting the nets specifically is unusual behavior for rodents.

There isn’t likely time to repair the nets, and the Kanbalis are reluctant to perform without them.

Diplomacy to convince them to perform without a net.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Still a bit shaky from his bout of fisticuffs, Charles does his best to convince the acrobats to take to the Ring, pointing out that the damage was caused by rats.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13.
Diplomacy - Hero Point: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9.

Sovereign Court

Unfortunately, Charles isn't able to convince the family to take risks.

You will need to Perform yourself.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

With a sigh, Charles tries to take to the air!

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13.
Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6.

Sovereign Court

Charles manages to pull off a respectable show.

-----------------

After Charles has finished with his performance, there is a commotion in the audience; several vipers have crawled up out of the stands!

Diplomacy (to convince the crowd to move out of the way) or Nature (to wrangle a snake). There are three snakes, so three checks are needed.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles firmly directs the crowd to move aside.

"There is no danger here, as long as you listen to me - please move aside, and let the snakes leave!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13.
Diplomacy - Hero Point: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25.

Sovereign Court

Charles manages to wrangle the crowd, and the snakes slither off into the evening, to much applause!

-----------------------

ELIZIA’S SICK SNAKE:

Elizia the snake charmer comes to you with a problem. Mister Tickles, her anaconda, is lethargic and won’t eat or drink.

Charles: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7.

Charles isn't sure what is going on with the snake, but he can attempt a Medicine check to treat the snake prior to the performance.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles does his best to coax the reptile into being a little more lively.

Medicine: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23.

Sovereign Court

Charles does a decent job of 'gingering up' the mighty snake!

Nature: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 1 - 1 = 16.
Nature: 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 2 + 1 - 1 = 17.
Nature: 1d20 - 3 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 3 + 1 - 1 = 9.

The audience are then quite pleased with the performance.

Mordaine then heads on stage, and performs her escapology challenges...

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16.
Thievery: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19.
Thievery: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (5) - 3 = 2.

...and whilst her first couple of bouts are quite impressive, she nearly drowns in the midst of the third challenge.

-----------------

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12.

At this juncture, Charles notices that two of the audience members, notices two *very* drunk members of the audience, who are jeering at everything...

...and then decide to lay into the other audience members with their fists, laughing the entire time!

Drunks: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20.
Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21.

Drunken Fury, Round 1:
Charles (-)
Drunks (-, -)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Still smarting from the *last* fist-fight, Charles decides to give these two a bit of a 'shock'.

Electric Arc: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Electricity damage, DC 15 Reflex for half.

Sovereign Court

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9.
Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20.

Both drunks get singed, to a greater or lesser degree, and stumble towards the exit; this isn't fun any more!

The rest of the crowd starts to grumble about the use of lethal force...

Diplomacy or Deception to placate them.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

"Friends! That was just a little love-tap, to bring them to their senses."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24.

Sovereign Court

The crowd mutters a bit, but swiftly comes around to seeing things Charles' way!

--------------

Finally, it is time for the end of the performance!

The Dwarven Throwers link arms, and pull of incredible displays of athletics, using small catapults and spring-boards...

Athletics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13.
Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25.
Athletics: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16.

...and whilst the crowd is slow to warm to them, by the end, they have everyone cheering!

Meanwhile, the Flamboni Sisters juggle lit pitch-dipped torches...

Deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21.
Deception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18.
Deception: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (9) - 3 = 6.

...putting on a respectable show.

Finally, it is time for Charles to do his own act.

Please make your 'Signature' Performance :-)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles dips some arrows in pitch, then lights the tips, using Prestidigitation to change to colours of the flame. He then starts doing some amazing trick shots, whilst balancing on high-ropes, jumping, and somersaulting through the air!

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8.
Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15.
Acrobatics: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1.

Sovereign Court

Jean-Pierre manages to cap-off a solid show, and the company gets a standing ovation from the audience!

Prestige 3, and +17gp for the Circus.

The Professor comes up to you afterwards, and smiles.

"Thanks for that; you were a great help. Here's your cut."

He hands over 5gp in assorted low-denomination coins.

He also hands over two vials, noting wryly:

"You might need these!"

Two Minor Healing Potions.

The Professor then clears his throat awkwardly.

"I would appreciate it if you could look into Myron's death; we want to get to the bottom of what happened, as quickly as possible..."


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles happily accepts his 'cut'.

He then nods.

"Of course. We need to know who did this..."

Sovereign Court

A close evaluation of the dead ringmaster reveals that his legs are so swollen that his pant legs can’t be rolled up; his trousers must be cut off or cut open. Doing so reveals many snake bites on both his calves...

Charles: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15.

Charles determines that snake venom caused his death.

Such vicious and repeated attacks are uncharacteristic of normal vipers...

Charles: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20.

Charles realizes the vipers must have been controlled or coerced somehow.

The area immediately around Myron’s body bears strange tracks...

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20.

Charles notes the tiny prints of countless rats. These numerous rat tracks hide any other footprints that might have been here, including Myron’s own. The rats aren’t present any longer, and their behavior is just as unusual as that of the vipers.

Further tracking might be possible, if you so desire.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Curiouser and curiouser...

Before investigating further, Charles takes a brief rest.

Spending 1 RP to 'refresh'.

He then Designates Prey, and tries to Track.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 2 = 26.

Sovereign Court

Charles notices multiple rat tracks throughout the camp. Most of these tracks are near the ringmaster’s wagon (area A2), Bardolph’s wagon (area A3), the edge of the woods (area A4), and the Kanbali wagon (area A9). They also lead to and from the performers’ entrance to the big top.

Where to?


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Happy to do the locations 'in order'.

Taking Archibald with him, Jean-Pierre heads to check out the ringmaster's wagon.

Sovereign Court

Myron’s personal wagon is parked very near the pond, right in front of the meeting fire. A colorful banner on each side of the wagon advertises the Circus of Wayward Wonders in large capital letters, surrounded by images that depict some of the most famous acts in the show (including Charles, as well as the Feather-Fall Five, Elizia and Mister Tickles, and Mordaine the Magician). Three steps affixed to the wagon’s rear lead up to a red door with a golden knob. The door is locked...


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

With a sigh, Charles gets out his tools, and tries to pick the lock.

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23.

Sovereign Court

With practiced ease, Charles makes short work of the lock.

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18.

However, as he opens the door, there is a sudden spray of sticky pollen!

Pollen Spray: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13.

Fortunately, protected by the door, Charles avoids it.

Looking inside, he sees that there are multiple strange pods, which are pulsing rhythmically!

DPP: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28.
Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26.

All four pods spray...

Pollen Spray(Archibald): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28, for 2d8 ⇒ (4, 8) = 12 Posion damage.
Pollen Spray(Archibald): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25, for 1d8 ⇒ 4 Posion damage.
Pollen Spray(Charles): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16, for 1d8 ⇒ 6 Posion damage.
Pollen Spray(Charles): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27, for 1d8 ⇒ 1 Posion damage.

Poor Archibald takes the brunt of the blast, shielding Charles from the worst of it.

Both of you still need to make DC 20 Will saves, of be Confused for 1 round.

Pod People?, Round 1:

DPP (-, -, -, -)
Charles (-1/-3)
Archibald (-16)

These are technically traps. DC 18 Thievery or Nature to 'fix' each of them.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15.
Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20.

Charles grits his teeth, Strides in, and starts disabling Pods!

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24.

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12.

Sovereign Court

Charles takes out two of the pods with ease.

The other two spray him!

Pollen Spray: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20, for 1d8 ⇒ 1 Poison damage.
Pollen Spray: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25, for 1d8 ⇒ 4 Poison damage.

Once again, Will save, please.

Pod People?, Round 2:

DPP (-, -)
Charles (-6/-3)
Archibald (-16)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27.

Charles fights off the effects of the Pollen, and keeps trying to disable Pods!

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25.

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11.
Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19.

Sovereign Court

Charles handily disables the final two Pods.

Combat over.

Myron’s wagon is filled with many personal belongings gathered from his travels. There’s no indication that Myron was expecting any kind of violence.

You can, of course, loot the wagon if you want...?


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

I will *not* loot the wagon.

Frowning, Charles heads to the next location.

Sovereign Court

A3:

The wagon is large and decorated with faded paintings that depict Bardolph (the circus' bear) dancing, balancing on a ball, and menacing the Great Fortunato, who is armed with a whip. There is a large door in the rear of the wagon; it has no lock, and each side of the door boasts a thick and well-chewed length of rope (Bardolph clasps this rope with his mouth to pull the door open and shut).

As Charles moves closer, the door bursts open, and an extremely angry Bardolph rushes out!

Charles: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23.

Charles realises that this is very much *not* normal behaviour for Bardolph... something is wrong.

Bardolph: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26.

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27.

Angrier Than The Average Bear, Round 1:

Charles (-)
Archibald (-)
Bardolph (-)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles backs off, and calmly addresses Bardolph:

"Bardolph! It's me, Charles; calm down!"

Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17.

Sovereign Court

Bardolph charges forward...

Jaws: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24, for 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (1, 6) + 4 = 11 damage.
Jaws: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22, for 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (7, 6) + 4 = 17 damage.

...and comprehensively mauls Charles!

Angrier Than The Average Bear, Round 1:

Charles (-34)
Archibald (-)
Bardolph (-)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

"Scheisse!"

Charles backs away, commands Archibald to cover his retreat, then blasts Bardolph with electricity!

Electric Arc: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 Electricity. DC 15 Reflex.

Sovereign Court

Reflex: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20.

The great bear avoids the worst of the blast.

Ignoring Archibald, he charges off after Charles...

...then starts sniffing the air, confused, before rubbing up against Charles apologetically.

Combat over.

Searching the wagon does not bring up any additional clues.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Charles takes a 10 minute rest...

...and then, wincing, heads for the forest's edge.

Sovereign Court

As Charles heads over, two roustabouts come rushing away, saying they saw a big snake.

GV: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27.
V: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7.
Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11.

At that, an *extremely* big snake, the size of a human, fangs dripping poison, rushes out of the forest, and strikes...

1d2 ⇒ 2

...Charles!

Fangs: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15, for 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 damage, + Fort save.

Fortunately, it misses.

Snakes In A Forest, Round 1:

GV (-)
Charles (-)
Archibald (-)
V (-)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

"Gah!"

Charles backs away, designates Prey, directs Archibald to Support, and starts firing!

Hunted Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25, for 1d8 + 1d8 ⇒ (2) + (8) = 10 damage.
Hunted Shot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21, for 1d8 + 1d8 ⇒ (8) + (6) = 14 damage.

He then tosses an Electric Arc...

Electric Arc: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 Electricity damage, DC 15 Reflex for half.

...before casting Shield, which causes a tracery of golden scales to glow across his skin.

Sovereign Court

Charles' arrows pound into the snake, dealing horrific injuries.

Reflex: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17.

It then sizzles, and dies when subjected to the electrical discharge.

At that, another, much smaller, viper writhes out of the forest...

...and tries to bite Archibald!

Fangs: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23, for 1d8 - 3 ⇒ (4) - 3 = 1 damage, + Fort save.

Snakes In A Forest, Round 2:

Charles (-)
Archibald (-1; Fort save)
V (-)


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6.

Charles changes target, and keeps firing!

Hunted Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9, for 1d8 + 1d8 ⇒ (3) + (5) = 8 damage.
Hunted Shot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23, for 1d8 + 1d8 ⇒ (4) + (4) = 8 damage.

He then tosses an Electric Arc...

Electric Arc: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 Electricity damage, DC 15 Reflex for half.

...before casting Shield, which causes a tracery of golden scales to glow across his skin.

Sovereign Court

Charles' second arrow pins the viper to the ground, and then Archibald crushes its skull.

Combat over.

Archibald takes 2d8 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 Poison damage. Keep rolling Fort saves until you hit DC 16, or have rolled a total of 4 times.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17.

Charles shakes his head in disbelief.

"What is going on around here!?"

He then follows the trail.

Sovereign Court

Charles: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26.

As he is going down the trail, Charles spots a tripwire...

DC 18 Thievery.


Male Half-Elf Ranger/Sorceror 12 (SP 164/164) (HP 164/164) (RP 11/11) (AC 33) (Fort +22, Ref +24, Will +21)(Perception +24 (+2 Init))

Thievery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25.

Charles easily disables the trap, and continues on his way.

This must be going somewhere important...

1 to 50 of 1,188 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Extinction Curse - A Tour of the Hinterland of Absalom All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.