Against the Giants (Inactive)

Game Master chillblame

Raiding and destruction in Sterich. Heros are needed.
greyhawk gods


1 to 50 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hi all
It has been a while since have GM'd a game on PBP, and I have been nostalgic for some of the old games I played once a time. The against the giant series is perhaps one of the best of the old AD&D module sets ever (possible bias) and I thought I would see if anyone is interested in giving it a whirl.

The ruleset I am using will be pathfinder one or two. I will leave it up to a vote as to which ruleset I use. I have a lot of experience with P1, and prefer that, but I will give P2 a go if enough people say they want it.

Characters:

To give you an idea as to the characters
25 pt characters. This can be a rough adventure.
The party will start as a group of 5 to 6 7th level characters near the lands of Sterich in the world of Greyhawk. This is pre the Greyhawk wars (for those who keep count)
core books for character classes, including occult. No gunslingers (except bolt ace), no vigilantes, no synthesiser summoners. No third party. Some character classes will be handier than others.
No leadership feat, at least not yet. I house rule that feat to 9th level in my games. Item creation is allowed, but the chance to use it will be rare.
Traits, yes and one drawback.
The above is set for adjustment if P2 is chosen (obviously)

I am hoping to start the game on the 7th of December, with characters chosen a week before (the 1st of Dec). FYI as I am in Australia, I'm about a day ahead of most of you, so that would be the 8th for you. (and the 2nd for characters) :)
So, what do you say?


I'm in Oz too, chilli. I'd be up for either, though I'm looking forward to PF2e games...

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'd be interested.


I'm interested and would like to put my vote to PF1e - I haven't had the chance to try PF2e yet.

I'd like to ask, how much familiarity do we need with Greyhawk?

EDIT: Are you allowing archetypes? My main idea is an inquisitor with an archetype if allowed.


I would be interested as well. PFE1 would be my preference :)

I would like to run a Cleric (Healer/Martial type) or a Ranger/Fighter type. Will wait on the details of what your character creation requirements are.

You going to use strictly Paizo or any third party?

Jack

EDIT - missed that.


Says no third party. Oh well. Still interested!


I am assuming you are ok with multi-class or do you prefer VMC?

Are you ok with me using this as a PF reference for the Deities?:
Greyhawk Deities (PF conversion)

I believe I am going to create a Cleric of Pelor/Fighter (human) type.


I would be interested in this.

I don’t have 2e yet. (Dawdling, haven’t decided to buy yet.)


Interested, and only have 1st edition.

Grand Lodge

interested....


Loves me some Greyhawk. Always catches my attention.

Gygax's version or the 3rd Ed, less racist version of socialization and common organizational rules?

Cleric/Druid options come to mind without much consideration. Bunch of other options to work through, of course.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

A few replies
No, you do not need a lot of knowledge of Greyhawk. I'll give you the basic info.
Archetypes are allowed
multiclassing is allowed, within reason. Say, two classes, three only if you have a really good background. For example, a fighter/rogue/mage does happen in the Greyhawk setting (rarely), but usually only with elves.
AllenDm, that list of gods is good. In fact better than mine


hustonj and I are playing in ALLENDM’s Greyhawk Campaign, his Greyhawk stuff is good.

I think for some reason I thought this was AGDQ, but this starts with the G’s. I played in a Playtest of 5e DND here on the boards that started with The Hill Giant’s Steading. I didn’t last long, a combination of the rules (didn’t like them), the fact that everyone had slippers of spider climbing and the fact we started at 8th level really bugged me.

Long story short, I could almost cope with starting at level 4 or 5 with A1, but 7 is a little too high for me. I’m happy getting to level 7, but find starting there really jarring. So I’ll withdraw, but I’m sure you have enough interest to make a good game! Have fun folks!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Fair enough. The reason I'm staring at 7th level is that the base monster at the start is CR7, and there are a lot of them.


Oh, I know. I DM’ed G1-3 and D1-2 for my brother back in the early/mid-80’s. So much fun. The party is still there, in the Depths.


interested in PF1, looking at trying a warpriest (Arsenault Chaplain)


I'm interested.

PF1 for now.


After some thought I believe I am going to submit a Paladin of Bahamut. I created him for a Keep On the Borderlands adventure in Greyhawk that fell apart.

I enjoyed the character and didn’t really get a chance to RP him as the adventure died out quickly.

I will mod him for the creation rules you have set forth.

I agree with OSW. Playing AGDQ would be fun.

Jack


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ok that seems enough interest. I'll be accepting character offers from now.
to reiterate
Characteristics are 25 point characters

7th level

All standard, base, hybrid and occult characters.
No gunslingers (except bolt ace), no synthesiser summoners, no vigilantes, no third party

Races all standard, tiefling, assimar, and others are possible
no goblinoids, kobolds or orcs. OK, maybe kobolds, I like the scamps. But these races are seen as enemies to be attacked on sight, so play difficulty.

Traits
2 and a drawback can be taken for an extra. Also the feat extra traits as well.

Equipment
23500gp

Background: a paragraph or so. In a few days, I will post the background and history of the area, so hold off a little. But as a preview, there has recently been a civil war. Geographically towns are small, and rural/wild area are large.

Any questions, please post.


Definitely interested.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

As to game style, I like descriptive players, who are willing to role-play. I haven't yet decided how to do the maps, it will either be Google docs or maybe roll20 (just for the maps, which are easy to load there)

It would be nice if you could link a picture of your character for everyone to see. This is not compulsory but is nice. Pinterest has lots of possibilities. I find a picture helps to solidify a character. That could just be me, of course. :)

Players will be asked to post once a day, with less priority on weekends. I know that real life intervenes from time to time, and that's ok, but let me know.

I hope we can have a good game.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oh, and pathfinder one, in case it wasn't obvious. :D


Going to make an Aasimar Paladin. I’m thinking a Paladin of Pelor, using the Enlightened Paladin Archetype. Will hold off on background until for info is released.

But will start making the character.

Alternate SLA: 1d100 ⇒ 90


Chillblame,

This is AllenDM.

Here is the proposed Paladin of Bahamut. I will be modifying the character for per your character creation guidelines and adjusting/adding to the background. It is still set up for the previous Greyhawk adventure that fell apart.

Since you have opted to not use A series what I might do is build off the conclusion of that for my background if that is acceptable.

Jack


HP die roll for 2nd to 7th level

1d10 ⇒ 3
1d10 ⇒ 10
1d10 ⇒ 9
1d10 ⇒ 8
1d10 ⇒ 2
1d10 ⇒ 10

Grand Lodge

I am interested. I gravitate towards martial characters, so I will see what I can come up with.


Oceanshieldwolf wrote:

hustonj and I are playing in ALLENDM’s Greyhawk Campaign, his Greyhawk stuff is good.

I think for some reason I thought this was AGDQ, but this starts with the G’s. I played in a Playtest of 5e DND here on the boards that started with The Hill Giant’s Steading. I didn’t last long, a combination of the rules (didn’t like them), the fact that everyone had slippers of spider climbing and the fact we started at 8th level really bugged me.

Long story short, I could almost cope with starting at level 4 or 5 with A1, but 7 is a little too high for me. I’m happy getting to level 7, but find starting there really jarring. So I’ll withdraw, but I’m sure you have enough interest to make a good game! Have fun folks!

Love Greyhawk...doing U1 to U3 (Saltmarsh) to A1 to A4 (Slavelord), maybe S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, G1 to G3, D1 to D3 and Q1. It's a big undertaking but we are chipping away at U1 right now. It is very homebrew/house rule.

Glad to see someone doing the G/D/Q series!


Question, on the HP for leveling, do you want rolls, or the fixed HP method. I think it is 1/2 +1 or something like that.


Definitely interested! I am thinking a sorcerer might be fun for this. I'll start putting someone together.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Chillblame, I dropped you a PM.


Reaffirmint my interest, looking to build a sanctified slayer inquisitor - are we using PF1e Gods or Greyhawk/D&D gods?

I'm still new to the forums and getting the hang of here so apologies if some questions are obvious but we're able to use the SRD/PRD for character building, right?


Is an Unchained Rogue Kobold valid?


Interested, definitely.

What's your deadline for character builds?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

HP will be max at first level, 1/2 + 1 for others. I'll run npc's the same
Unchained rogues and barbarian are fine


A further question, how do available item creation feats interact with starting wealth (if at all)?


A question, how do you rule on the season witch archetype(bonus hex vs restricted choice of hex at lvl 1)? The discussion is here:

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uq1t?Season-Witch#1

There is no official faq yet, so that makes it DM's call...

Grand Lodge

7th level CN Oracle of Telchur. ;)


Love that so far we are looking at 2 Paladins and a Cleric, from 3 different gods.

Would be hilarious to have a party full of religious types, all worshipping different deities.


ALLENDM wrote:

Are you ok with me using this as a PF reference for the Deities?:

Greyhawk Deities (PF conversion)

Hunh. Half of the listed Domains for Istus were never converted by Paizo. I can work with what's there, but have all kinds of cheesy reasons to want more.

Working a Baklunish Ecclesitheurge of Istus, who's traveled South, around the mountains.

Could build a Druid of the Old Faith, or maybe a Shifter instead. <shrug> Always options.


Tiefling Alternate SLA roll 1d100 ⇒ 33


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Eldric Lightbringer wrote:

Love that so far we are looking at 2 Paladins and a Cleric, from 3 different gods.

Would be hilarious to have a party full of religious types, all worshipping different deities.

That would be interesting


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
JohnnyBlack wrote:
Is an Unchained Rogue Kobold valid?

Unchained rogues are OK. I do like kobolds, but there will be some problems playing it. The people of the area consider them little better than vermin, and this could cause problems for you.

Understanding that, Do you still want to?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mazra wrote:
7th level CN Oracle of Telchur. ;)

Hey Mazra, good to see you.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
pad300 wrote:

A question, how do you rule on the season witch archetype(bonus hex vs restricted choice of hex at lvl 1)? The discussion is here:

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uq1t?Season-Witch#1

There is no official faq yet, so that makes it DM's call...

After some thought, I have decided to allow the extra bonus hex.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
MrMantis wrote:

Reaffirmint my interest, looking to build a sanctified slayer inquisitor - are we using PF1e Gods or Greyhawk/D&D gods?

I'm still new to the forums and getting the hang of here so apologies if some questions are obvious but we're able to use the SRD/PRD for character building, right?

First, yes we are using Greyhawk gods.

Second, you can use the pathfinder SRD/PRD, as long as you stick to the character-building instructions above. And remember no 3rd party stuff.

Also, don't apologise for asking questions. We were all new at this once.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
pad300 wrote:

Interested, definitely.

What's your deadline for character builds?

The first of December Australian time

Quote:
A further question, how do available item creation feats interact with starting wealth (if at all)?

Er, um.

You ask the hard ones. :)
I think that if you have burned a feat on item creation, any items made by it will be half price. Still book standard items, please.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Fergus DraganCara wrote:

Chillblame,

This is AllenDM.

Here is the proposed Paladin of Bahamut. I will be modifying the character for per your character creation guidelines and adjusting/adding to the background. It is still set up for the previous Greyhawk adventure that fell apart.

Since you have opted to not use A series what I might do is build off the conclusion of that for my background if that is acceptable.

Jack

Hail, Knight of the platinum dragon. Nice character


Just a question. Is this set before, during or after the invasion of Geoff by the giants?

EDIT: Never mind found the mention online. Happens during the Greyhawk wars so before.

1 to 50 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / Against the giants, G1 to 3, possibly D1 to 3 and Q1 interest check All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.