GM SpiderBeard's Age of Ashes

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 1: Hellknight Hill

Campaign Maps | Loot

Symbols: Action ◆ Free Action ◇ Reaction ↺


401 to 450 of 701 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Lenna looks a little disappointed, but she cannot argue with Raff's logic. She nods, acquiescing, "Of course, of course, but we need to be sure they know we are part of their pack. We'll need to visit often."


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

"This is only for while we're here. They'll know because we'll be with them."
If there's no further then we take the puppies to the goblins. If they'll keep the pair, we return here and continue on.


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Once the puppies are dropped off Omari looks to their companions. "Where to next?"


.

You quickly drop the puppies off with the goblins. Wargs and goblins have a long history and there are a lot of cries of delight and some murmurs of concern when the puppies are handed over.

Someone pick first. Door 1 (nw), door 2 (w), and door 3 (s).


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Pick a door!: 1d3 ⇒ 1

Lenna will move up to the first door, checking it for anything suspicious and then listening.


.

Just pushing into the next room. As there's two entrances to it, I've put you guys at both so your ranged have a line of sight (just to push on).

You move to the door and have a listen. There is the sound of a large animal pacing in the room and it has a strong canine musky smell to it. You line up, and throw open the door.

Within in a large male warg who has clearly smelled you. The moment the door open, he snarls and attacks!

Initiative:

Amaril: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Varook: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Raff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Omari: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Lenna: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Warg: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Round One:

Lenna
Omari
Raff
Varook
---
Warg
---
Amaril

Everyone but Amaril is up!


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari invokes their shield spell before moving up, staff held in both hands. Omari then calls for the Warg to stand down although remaining weary for an attack.

"Please there is no need for violence. I believe we might have found your pups. They are unhurt and in the care of the local goblins."


Action 1: Shield Cantrip
Action 2: Move
Action 3: Diplomacy?
Reaction: If a creature attacks someone other than Omari, Glimpse of Redemption, if one attacks Omari, shield block.


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff takes a stance, steps into the room, and punches at the warg.

1. Tiger Stance
2. Step 10' next to warg
3. Attack
Tiger Claw: agile, finesse, unarmed
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Slashing, Nonlethal: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

For future reference, Lenna and Varook will stayed together, all things being equal.

Lenna shifts from her position behind Amaril and focuses on the warg (hunt prey), but waits to see if Omari's overture is successful before firing.


Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Agreed..Varook would not let Leena get too far from him, thus he will mostly be near the front of the group if that is ok!


.

Adjust your position accordingly then, all good!

The warg laughs. "I left them for dead and drove off the b~**$. Didn't give me any males, not worth keeping, not worth killing. At least with you lot I'll eat well tonight."

Raff charges in and just clocks the warg as it snarls at him. Omari tries to reason with the warg which does not listen to reason.

Rest of you have actions!


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil steps to the doorway and begins playing his lute to inspire his allies. He then shifts the song to a defensive sound, conjuring a shield to protect himself.

Action 1: Step ◆
Action 2: Inspire Courage ◆
Action 3: Cast shield cantrip ◆
Reaction ↺: Shield Block if hit by an attack.


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Positions are fine today, but for future bots, she will stay near her champion.

Having hunted her prey and positioned herself, the little archer lets fly with two arrows.

Hunted shot and Flurry: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 1 - 2 = 12 Inspire courage, Volley penalty

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Hunted shot and Flurry: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 - 2 = 19 Inspire courage, Volley penalty

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


.

Note Amaril isn't up in initiative yet so inspire courage is not active.

Lenna looks into the crowded room and manages to thread the needle with one shot hammering into the warg while the group moves in for the fight.

Round One con't:

Lenna
Omari
Raff
Varook
---
Warg (-11)
---
Amaril

Varook is up!


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

Oh, sorry. I thought when you said "Rest of you have actions" that included me.


Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Seeing the ways all blocked by his allies, Varook stomps around in impotent rage as he tries to see a way to get at the warg.

"Arrgh...I can't get to the beast! Leena, I cannot get to it!!!"

Unable to get through the packed throng of people, and not wanting to chance throwing anyone off and endangering them, Varook can only jump up and down trying to see what is happening and waiting for a chance to charge into combat.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

Since I haven't gone yet, I'm not in the space I'm in. You can get past me.


.

My fubar, sorry Aramil. I'll just autopilot Varook to push on.

GM Rolls:

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Attack: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 9 - 4 = 8 Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24 Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Attack: 1d20 + 11 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 11 - 5 = 15 Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Attack: 1d20 + 11 - 10 ⇒ (3) + 11 - 10 = 4 Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Varook rushes in but hsi attacks miss as the warg bears down on Raff. Raff gets bitten on the arm for his troubles.

Raff takes 4 damage. EVERYONE IS UP!


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance
Aramil Wellys wrote:

Aramil steps to the doorway and begins playing his lute to inspire his allies. He then shifts the song to a defensive sound, conjuring a shield to protect himself.

Action 1: Step ◆
Action 2: Inspire Courage ◆
Action 3: Cast shield cantrip ◆
Reaction ↺: Shield Block if hit by an attack.

Not changing anything.


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

"I offered you the opportunity to resolve this peaceably. I am sorry for this violence I am about to inflict.

Attack, IC: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 + 1 = 25
Bludgeon Damage, IC: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7
Attack, IC, MAP: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 1 - 5 = 9
Bludgeon Damage, IC: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10


Action 1: ◆Attack
Action 2: ◆Attack
Action 3: ◆Shield Cantrip
Reaction↺: If a creature attacks someone other than Omari, Glimpse of Redemption, if one attacks Omari, shield block.


Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Well if that is the case, then Varook will step forward and attack the creature.

Seeing an opening, Varook slides in front of Aramil and strikes at the warg.

Action One: Move
Action Two & Three: Double Slice

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff accepts the wound as he Steps to flank with Omari. He then lashes out at the warg.

1. Step
2. Attack
Tiger Claw: agile, finesse, unarmed, powerful fist
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
3. Attack
Tiger Claw: agile, finesse, unarmed, powerful fist, map
To Hit: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 7 - 4 = 7 Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Lenna waits for an opening and lets fly another pair of arrows.

Hunted shot and Flurry: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 1 - 2 = 14 Inspire courage, Volley penalty

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Hunted shot and Flurry: 1d20 + 4 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 1 - 2 = 23 Inspire courage, Volley penalty

Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Critical Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1d10 ⇒ (4) + 1 + (1) = 6 Deadly bonus

I could fire up to four times, but it feels odd and the chances of success become so low...


.

You quickly move in on the warg that abandoned his puppies and overwhelm the huge beast. Arrows and fists and swords fly in and with moments, it is dead from one of Lenna's arrows sticking out of its eye.

End of Combat

The warg collapses. The room you are in is a lictor's office, a grim administrative office with largely ransacked filing cabinets, although it does not appear the room has been completely looted.

Exits lead to the northwest and west, or you cand ouble back and try some of the doors to the south.


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Lenna tentatively enters once the sounds of battle fade, her next arrow still ready in her bow.

Looking around, she remarks, ”This might be a good place to look for Armiger Stagram’s missing... what did he say he was looking for? Anyway, should we look around first or keep exploring?”


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Let's look around for his lord majesty's bauble.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

"Well we looked."


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Lenna giggles, but stows her bow and arrow and starts searching.

Secret Perception roll, I presume


Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Varook also laughs at Raff's casual glance around the room.

"You will never find the really good stuff if you don't get your hands a little dirty, right Lenna!!"

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

While the rest of the tram is searching Onari will lay hands on Raff healing him for 6, and spend the next 10 minutes praying to Nethys to refocus..


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

Aramil joins in the search.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


.

The group tosses the lictor's office, which takes a few minutes. A book is tucked into the back of a drawer which was missed by looters. Flipping through it, it is a treatise on the Order of the Nail protocols as they relate to both Chelish and Isgeri laws, and explanations of various interpretations of them as they apply to past cases against local criminals.

At the beginning of the book is a personalized dedication
that reads: “To Lictor Acillmar, with thanks for your interest in my work. Together we shall quell savagery. —Hellknight T. Stagram, Esq.”


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Lenna points at the signature with some excitement. ”I’ll bet this is it! This is what he’s looking for!”

She pauses, then, considering the book’s subject. ”But why? That doesn’t sound fun at all...”


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

"While he may perhaps be interested in this book, he was looking for his family signet ring, not a book signed by one of his family members. Still, we can give it to him. We will have to keep looking for the ring, however."


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff spends most of his time looking by leaning against a wall. Once the book is found, he goes to open the next door.


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:
Aramil Wellys wrote:
"While he may perhaps be interested in this book, he was looking for his family signet ring, not a book signed by one of his family members. Still, we can give it to him. We will have to keep looking for the ring, however."

”Oh, yeah. I forgot.” She seems a little disappointed, but she’s over it quickly and ready to follow Raff.


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari follows behind Raff and prepares to enter the next room.


.

Thanks for picking a door, Raff!

The next room is a law repository.

This long row of mostly empty bookshelves is remarkably untouched, though a thick layer of dust and the smell of mildew permeate the air. A door deeper in the citadel to the east hangs conspicuously open.

This room looks fairly untouched and looking through it you see some outdated tomes and information on history of the Order of the Nail. Doors lead north and south.

Let me know if there's anything you want to do here, or pick a door.


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

According to the compass rose, the door we came through is the door to the east.

Aramil begins giving the room a search.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

It looks like there's two doors on the western end of the room, one north and one south. There's also a door on the eastern side of the room near the entrance going south.

Raff will look into the open door to find out what's in there.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31


Half-Elf Champion 2 | AC 19 (20 w/shield) | HP 30/30 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +6 | Perception +4, low-light vision | Focus Points 1/1 |Reactions: Glimpse of Redemption, Shield Block|

Omari will help search before indicating they should probably go North next.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:
Raff wrote:

It looks like there's two doors on the western end of the room, one north and one south. There's also a door on the eastern side of the room near the entrance going south.

Raff will look into the open door to find out what's in there.

Wow, how'd you get a Perception bonus that high?

Lenna looks around with Aramil and Omari before she's ready to move further into the citadel.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

I didn't. I don't know what happened. I usually just copy-paste from my character's profile.


.

I'll auto-reveal a couple of rooms.

A history buff may be able to get some useful information about the history of the Order of the Nail here if they wanted to spend a half hour perusing the literature. Otherwise it's just old books.

Raff pushes southwards which heads into a reading room. The information here is much the same, legalese and history books which don't have much value unless you are intrigued by the information within. A waiting chamber is adjacent with little of note in it.

West or north?


Male Half-Elf Bard 1 | AC 17 | HP 26/26 | Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6 | Perception +6, low-light vision | Focus Points 0/2 |
Spells:
1st - 3/3
| Reactions: counterperformance

West?


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Raff will open the doors to north and south on the west end of the library.


.

Raff swings open the doors, sick of all this Hellknight legalese in the search of finding something fun.

To the north are holding cells.

A prisoner intake area with long benches, rings on the walls for shackles, and an administrative area occupies this room’s western end. To the east, behind a raised iron gate, several prisoner holding cells stand with their doors hanging open. Storage lockers line the walls to the south.

To the south is some form of clerk's chamber.

Rows of desks here are bolted to the floor, though many of the cramped work spaces have been smashed to pieces or otherwise defaced. Wooden chairs have been thrown aside like discarded playthings.


Human Monk| HP 30/30| AC 19| Fo +9 Re +7 Wi +7| Percep +5| Move 25'| Hero Points 1/1 Focus 1/1

Assuming someone will want to research the Hellknight library, Raff will investigate the holding area and cells.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

If no one wants to look into the library, he will continue with the group instead.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Taking a step into the room, Varook comes to a complete halt. He stares at the lines of chains and cells and a cold sweat breaks out on his forehead. The diminutive warrior seems rooted to the spot and his left-hand trembles as he places it onto the hilt of his sword.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Female Ranger 2 | AC 19 | F 7 R 10 W 5 | hp 28/28 | Perc +7, low-light | Hero Points 0 | Effects:

Rushing to follow her fellow halfling, Lenna pauses as she realizes that Varook has come to a stop. She looks at him with concern, stepping around to look at his face, then turns to see what has caused his reaction. Taking in the restraints and cells for the first time, her expression hardens.

She closes her eyes and visibly makes an effort before turning back to give Varook a hug. She whispers, ”Not for you. Not now, not ever. They aren’t here and they don’t care about greed slaves that aren’t breaking the law, anyway. These are just more rooms to explore.” She gives him another squeeze before stepping back and, taking his hand, she leads him back to the library.

Hoping she sounds light-hearted, she offers, ”Bookshelves are great places to hide things! Let’s have a look!”


Male NG Halfling Fighter 2 | HP: 30/30| AC: 18 |F: +8, R: +10, W: +6| Perc: +8 | Speed 25ft | Hero Points 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Giving a full-body shiver, the halfling follows Leena back into the library. He glances back but quickly looks to the books in the room. After a few minutes, he whispers to Leena

Thank you. It was just a sudden surprise and took me back...well you know. I feel better now."

He gives her a hug and light kiss on the cheek before turning back to the stacks of books.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

401 to 450 of 701 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Taban and the age of ashes gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.