[PFS]7-18 Faithless and Forgotten, Part 3: The Infernal Inheritance by GM Upaynao

Game Master Upaynao

The Bloody Nail


201 to 250 of 256 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Human Bard (4) HP 31/31;AC 16 FF14 Tch 12;Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3; Init+2;Per+7 , SM +5 Perform 12/12

Putting himself in the door's frame for defense, Lukaas tries to poke the guard with his rapier

attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Dmg: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

Nectanebo's newest henchmonster brazenly staggers into the room where her former cohorts wait (do remember she's a zombie, so she's got DR 5/slashing, and should actually have 14 hit points, as she has the Tougness feat)...

...while Nectanebo touches the flat of the Guidingstar against Djorn's ribs in a curious variant of the traditional 'knighting' gesture. Djorn suddenly feels empowered with energy, and a sense that Time itself is on his side.

Djorn, you hereby receive 5 rounds of Quickness, which is like haste, except that it's just you and the bonuses to AC and Reflex saves (but not attack rolls) are +2.

The Exchange

Ganzi Blade of Chaos 5 | ER: Acid 5, Electricity 5, Sonic 5 | HP: 53/53 | AC: 18 | T: 13 | FF: 15 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +10 | Will: +10 (+2 vs polymorph spells) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5 | Sense Motive: +7 | Speed: 30 ft.
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 0 - 6 ; 1 - 2/4 ; 2 - 1/2 ; Tricks: 5/6 ; Panache: 4/5 ; Quibble: 1/1 ; Touch Treatments: 7/7

Haha it's really fun!

Esh fixes his hypnotic gaze on the brownish guy and slithers "Red is one of them! A traitor in disguise!"

Murderous Command, will DC 15 and he has -2 due to Esh's gaze.

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet
Current Initiative wrote:

Round 6

Waki - Fatigued (end round 8)
F Red 7 Dmg - Shaken, Prone, Going to murder her companion
M Brown 2 Dmg - Shaken, Prone
Nectanebo
Lukaas
Esh
M Blue - 12 Dmg, Shaken
Djorn
Aiden

F Purple 2 Dmg - Shaken

The Bloody Nail

Will (Red): 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 - 2 = 9

Readied action trigger - Brown: 1d20 + 6 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 6 - 2 - 4 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Readied action trigger - Red: 1d20 + 6 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 6 - 2 - 4 = 10
AoO - Brown: 1d20 + 6 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 2 - 4 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
AoO - Red: 1d20 + 6 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 2 - 4 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

As the guards recoil in horror as the abomination that was once their colleague walks through the door, they lash out - prone as they may be - and a good number of blow hit. But when flesh is no longer a conduit for one's life-force, maces tend to be rather ineffective.

Lukaas, realizing at the last moment that he is about to stab a dead body left on the map by a GM who should have double checked, but we're not going to touch that right now moves up to the other side of the doorframe separating the Pathfinders from the remaining guards.

The guard with the red scarf looks about frantically, before locking eyes with Esh. His eyes... His words... So... Compelling... She nods imperceptibly at Esh's words as her upright companion attempts to deal with the zombie.

Blue vs Zombie: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 - 2 = 10
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Blue vs Zombie: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 2 = 13
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

It begins to percolate through these last few that their fates are perhaps sealed.

Djorn, Aiden.

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

Djorn is not particularly bloodthirsty and, though he could throw things all day, he's running low on things to throw. He doesn't relish the thought of being the first living thing crossing that threshold where all the action is taking place.

So...seeing the guards start to waiver, he calls out for a peaceful resolution...if one balanced toward the Pathfinders.

"Drop your weapons and surrender, now and you'll live. Keep fighting and you'll end up like your fellow guard," he nods in the direction where he saw the insta-zombie disappear.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

His threat isn't too impressive, though...

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

Aiden grips his knives, trying to see what happening in the room, but unable to risk getting caught in the melee just yet.

Delay. A little too crowded just now.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar
Djorn wrote:
Djorn is not particularly bloodthirsty and, though he could throw things all day, he's running low on things to throw. He doesn't relish the thought of being the first living thing crossing that threshold where all the action is taking place.

My zombie DID just suck out all their AoOs...and you're wasting the boost I just gave you.

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'
Nectanebo the Vulture wrote:
Djorn wrote:
Djorn is not particularly bloodthirsty and, though he could throw things all day, he's running low on things to throw. He doesn't relish the thought of being the first living thing crossing that threshold where all the action is taking place.
My zombie DID just suck out all their AoOs...and you're wasting the boost I just gave you.

They probably won't surrender, with that roll, and chances are that this won't last more than another 4 rounds. I'd rather not be a stereotypical murder hobo if there's a decent chance I can convince them to surrender.

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)
Nectanebo the Vulture wrote:
My zombie DID just suck out all their AoOs...and you're wasting the boost I just gave you.

I didn't realize that. I'll have a retconned action up in a minute.

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

Taking advantage of the zombie's cover, Aiden sprints into the room, diving to try and avoid any blows.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Double-move, trying to avoid AOO from Blue, who seems to be the only one that could take an AOO....and failed. Aiden's AC is 19 from the Shield spell.

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet
Current Initiative wrote:

Round 7

Waki - Fatigued (end round 8)
F Red 7 Dmg - Shaken, Prone
M Brown 19 Dmg - Shaken, Full defense
[b]Nectanebo
Lukaas
Esh

M Blue - 12 Dmg, Shaken
Djorn
Aiden

F Purple 2 Dmg - Shaken

The Bloody Nail

Unfortunately for Djorn (and the GM), his words come across as nonchalant. As such, the guards steel themselves behind rigid discipline, even though they are now outnumbered.

Blue vs Aiden, Mace AoO: 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 6 + 2 - 2 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9

Purple vs Aiden, Mace #1: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 10
Purple vs Aiden, Mace #2: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 16

But while, reflexively, one of the still standing guards still manages to catch Aiden in the shoulder, the other cannot.

"Hey Aspis! We've got your guy here! Call off that thing and he'll get out unharmed!" shouts the woman who just missed, as her prone companion attacks her other prone companion who gets up, looking like a wild animal ready to bolt.

Red vs Brown, Mace #1: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9
Red vs Brown, Mace #2: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 24
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8

"Denirka, they're... ACK! Arcane folk... ARGH! We ain't getting out of this alive!"

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Ninja 4/Bloodrager 1 | HP: 38/38 | AC:20 | T: 13 | FF: 17 | CMD: 12 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +10 | Speed 40 ft. Ninja 4 (1/6 ki used) / Bloodrager 1 (3/5 rage) Destined Strike+1 (0/3) Stealth (+12) { invis}

If he sees nothing coming from the front doors, Waki heads back towards the mess hall and flanks the door to prevent any escapees.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

The zombie lashes clumsily out with a stiff but unnaturally powerful arm...

slam vs Little Boy Blue: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

...and leaves one hell of a fist-print in the wall.

Nectanebo gives Djorn a brief "go get 'em" kind of look before approaching the threshold and bringing his sword down on the hapless foe splayed out nearby.

Guidingstar, lead blades vs prone Red Scared: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
damage: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (6, 2) + 4 = 12

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

Djorns streak of expletives continues as his very reasonable suggestion is ignored by the guards. He really doesn't relish the possibility of killing these poor guys. They're probably just doing a job, or may be true believers in what they're doing. In either case, they're probably not actually evil.

He rushes the room, his velocity leaving him open to an attack from the red guard. He takes a swing at the one right in front of him, the maroonish one.

+1 Silvered Warhammer: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Blunt damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

But his streak of luck continues. As does his cursing.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar
Nectanebo the Vulture wrote:
Djorn, you hereby receive 5 rounds of Quickness, which is like haste, except that it's just you and the bonuses to AC and Reflex saves (but not attack rolls) are +2.

You're factoring this in, right?

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'
Nectanebo the Vulture wrote:
Nectanebo the Vulture wrote:
Djorn, you hereby receive 5 rounds of Quickness, which is like haste, except that it's just you and the bonuses to AC and Reflex saves (but not attack rolls) are +2.
You're factoring this in, right?

I couldn't take a 5 foot step so I couldn't make a full attack so I didn't get an extra attack.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

I realize; I just wanted to make sure you realized you had it at all (you'd still get the attack roll bonus on that hit, for example).

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

Ok...so I still get a +1 to attacks? I was reading that "(but not attack rolls)" piece as I didn't get any kind of bonus to attack rolls rather than just the +1 given by Haste.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

You get the same attack roll bonus as normal.

The Exchange

Ganzi Blade of Chaos 5 | ER: Acid 5, Electricity 5, Sonic 5 | HP: 53/53 | AC: 18 | T: 13 | FF: 15 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +10 | Will: +10 (+2 vs polymorph spells) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5 | Sense Motive: +7 | Speed: 30 ft.
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 0 - 6 ; 1 - 2/4 ; 2 - 1/2 ; Tricks: 5/6 ; Panache: 4/5 ; Quibble: 1/1 ; Touch Treatments: 7/7

Seeing nothing he can do, Esh crosses his arms over his chest and waits for an opening.

Delay

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet
Current Initiative wrote:

Round 7

Waki - Fatigued (end round 8)
F Red 7 Dmg - Shaken, Prone
M Brown 19 Dmg - Shaken, Full defense
Nectanebo
Lukaas
Esh
M Blue - 12 Dmg, Shaken
Djorn
Aiden
F Purple 2 Dmg - Shaken

The Bloody Nail

Lukaas, you are still good to go!

Taking advantage of Djorn overreaching and banging his weapon against his companion's armor, the guard in blue attempts to strike the man!

Blue, Mace #1 vs Djorn: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 17
Blue, Mace #2 vs Djorn: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 16

"I CAN'T EVEN HIT HIM!" he exclaims as both blows are deflected.

Who wants to give me an intimidate check with a +8 circumstance bonus to end this?

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

Aiden was born for such a chance

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 8 = 34

The Chelaxian roars. "Drop your weapons and surrender, or I'll skin every last one of you! Then...I'll feed your flayed bodies to the chained devils below who will find your eternal souls and devour them too. Drop your weapons now!"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Bard (4) HP 31/31;AC 16 FF14 Tch 12;Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3; Init+2;Per+7 , SM +5 Perform 12/12

You hear the man. Take your chance now, and surrender.

aid Intimidate, untrained: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Lukaas is less intimidating physically, his words are more a plea for common sense than a threat

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

"Awww," Nectanebo mock-whines. " Are you certain? I was just about to collect my very own Chelaxian Army action-figurine set...."

aid Aiden's Intimidate, surely some kind of circumstantial bonus: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Between the glint in his eye, the glint off his sword, and the 'action-figurine' he's already obtained, it's alarmingly hard to tell whether he's kidding.

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet

The remaining guards look to each other, and drop their weapons as they put their hands up. "You Aspis won't get away with this" mutters the de-facto leader.

Combat is over. The good news is that there is only one more encounter. The bad news is that if it turns violent, this might not have a great ending. In any case, as I said earlier, we're going to expedite the part where you case the Bloody Nail. While I am happy to accommodate any specific requests, I would like to know how you intend to search the rest of the prison. You have three options: 1)Everybody makes a single roll perception, and all hidden devices, traps, and other hazards will activate (or not) based on those results. Follow that Perception roll with a single Disable Device roll if you have any ranks in it, and please indicate if you have the ability to disable magical traps. This will take you about 5 minutes in game time. 2)You all agree to take 10. This will take you 1d5 + 5 minutes. Your take ten will be the basis for any traps you encounter. 3)You all agree to take 20. This will take you 1d8 + 7 minutes in game time.

Also, to keep this part brief, I will move us onwards assuming option 1 by Sunday, unless a consensus has been reached. If you are unsure as to how to reach an agreement, I would suggest ranked voting for each option.

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Ninja 4/Bloodrager 1 | HP: 38/38 | AC:20 | T: 13 | FF: 17 | CMD: 12 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +10 | Speed 40 ft. Ninja 4 (1/6 ki used) / Bloodrager 1 (3/5 rage) Destined Strike+1 (0/3) Stealth (+12) { invis}

Waki will help search the compound, and disable as needed

Perception : 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Disable : 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

well that covers the extremes. His vote would be option #2 but is fine with any

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

Nectanebo does similarly.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

I guess #2 would be okay.

Specific requests? Well, let's see. I'm a necromancer of sorts with a spare body or two at his disposal, Guidingstar functions as a bit of a sonic screwdriver, and I also own a set of novelty clockwork teeth! I don't suppose any of that works out to a potentially-considerable bonus to our trap-purging errand?

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Disable device: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Aiden goes to search the office that he got the key for. He seems as intent on searching for any documents as for information about the rest of the prison. If we keep her out of sight of the other guards, can Krima help us?

Grand Lodge

Male Human Bard (4) HP 31/31;AC 16 FF14 Tch 12;Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3; Init+2;Per+7 , SM +5 Perform 12/12

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Fine with taking 10 too

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

Djorn joins in the ransacking of the Nail.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

The Exchange

Ganzi Blade of Chaos 5 | ER: Acid 5, Electricity 5, Sonic 5 | HP: 53/53 | AC: 18 | T: 13 | FF: 15 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +10 | Will: +10 (+2 vs polymorph spells) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5 | Sense Motive: +7 | Speed: 30 ft.
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 0 - 6 ; 1 - 2/4 ; 2 - 1/2 ; Tricks: 5/6 ; Panache: 4/5 ; Quibble: 1/1 ; Touch Treatments: 7/7

Esh wanders around, proud of how the things turned out.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.
My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet

Ok, sorry about that. Yes, Krima can help, so long as the other guards are kept in the dark about her involvement. Looks like option #2 wins, so lets move on with that.

Time elapsed: 1d5 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

With the threat of the remaining guards dealt with, Lukaas and Djorn begin by tying them up, under Nectanebo's watchful gaze. Meanwhile, curious as to what else might lie on this side of the Nail, Esh opens a door to a supply room filled with dottari uniforms. Perhaps there is a way to leverage these into a good enough disguise?

As Aiden marches back towards Krima, he notices that one of the crates in the storage area surrounding the archives room is not closed properly. With a frown, he looks inside: two violet crystals, one of which is cracked. Turning towards a hesitant Krima, he lifts one out and points at it silently. "Its for soundproofing. On the other side. You'll figure it out" she whispers before pointing back towards the hallway and the barracks beyond. "Are they all dead?" she asks, as the bounty hunter opens the door leading to the heart of the prison complex. Followed by Waki, he marches past the double doors to the back area. Of the three doors back there, one has a combination lock, prompting Waki to go back and get his companions. There is strength in numbers, and 12 eyes are better than four. Meanwhile, Aiden finds himself in an office, likely the Interrogator's office. The smouldering fireplace illuminates the room, red light cast over the massive corner desk littered with a cacophony of papers. A seven-foot-tall statue of a four-horned fiend with a burning crown overlooks the desk from the corner.

With nothing more than a raised eyebrow as a reaction, Aiden, looks through the jumbled mess of interrogation schedules, prisoner transfers, and Loyalty Day agendas. With increasing frustration the bounty hunter scatters the papers about, only for Nectanebo to stride in and casually, wordlessly, point at the only book on the table. A copy of The Asmodean Disciplines, bookmarked to a chapter on crime and punishment with a handwritten note. At first glance, Aiden does not see it as being anything but another infernal prayer book, but with the same detachment as before, Nectanebo strides up and after a quick glance points at the word "ixpressly". Aiden nods. There is a numbered code hidden in these scriptures. And the door to the Vault area that interested Waki so is locked with a numbered combination! Leaving the elf in the office, he strides back towards his companions. The occultist cocks his head to the side, and casually picks up the other two documents of note: A twine-bound set of instructions for the prison's soundproofing system - referring to some violet crystals and their usage - and a letter from a third party (some sort of Chelish intelligence officer) to interrogator Vasentii. It seems as though the paracountess' allegiences have shifted considerably.

Waki, puzzling before the combination lock, is secretly thankful for Aiden's information. Even moreso when he enters the combination, opens the door and realizes that, had he entered the wrong code or tried to subvert the lock, he would have had to dodge out of the way of a poisoned blade.

Beyond the door, dozens of carefully organized codices and scrolls fill the stone shelves carved into the walls, each labeled with names and sigils hammered into small brass placards over each niche. Two statues of humanoid fiends holding red-flamed torches monitor the room from the corners. Two open chests on either side of the door hold jumbles of unsorted documents, but a third chest in the far corner remains closed. Casting his mind away from his brush with poison, the tengu moves towards the only closed chest here. After a cursory inspection, he comes to the conclusion that it isn't trapped or locked; he opens it and inside finds a rather substantial sum of gold and silver, all Chelish Imperial mint.

Lukaas, meanwhile, finds his interest lies more with the documents stored within. As he looks about, he finds that most of the documents in here, the results of "enhanced interrogation techniques", are severely incriminating to a number of noble families, political targets who could then be of use to Thrune.

Waki, perhaps this fits one of your faction journal objectives?

However, even in this bonanza of evidence, there are three documents that are of particular interest to Lukaas and the assembled Pathfinders in general; the first two are interrogation reports filed in the section marked with the symbol of the Aspis Consortium.

As he goes over the two interrogation reports, Lukaas motions to Esh the last document (or documents) of interest: Zefiro's unaltered Chelish histories, piled haphazardly in a chest, which notably includes one annotated lineage amendment torn from its binding and left atop the pile.

Aiden, the notes regarding Ianareth Alazario might be of particular interest to one Zarta Dralneen - especially if you remember her reaction to the new Chelish liaison back in part 1.

While the others concern themselves with the contents of the Nail's vault, Djorn throws open the double doors they had been avoiding. He is immediately assaulted by the smell of unwashed bodies, which seems to permeates even the stone of this narrow corridor. The low illumination provided by the violet prisms set in sconces on the inner corners illuminates iron bars which isolate the hall’s outer perimeter, where the walls are lined with manacles set into the stone. Dozens of filthy prisoners lie behind the bars, each one wearing a sign around his or her neck bearing an identification number, a crime, a red “X” next to the word “Interrogation,” and a release date. Two sets of iron double doors lead deeper into the building. In most of the cells sits a terrified looking prisoner; one of them is actually dead while the others are unwilling to even consider escaping. Leaving these sad wretches be, he opens the last set of doors.

Barbed chains hang like streamers from the pyramidal ceiling of this large chamber. Several chains wind around the room’s grooved, bloodstained central column. Each corner of the room bears an iron statue of a regal, four-horned devil standing over a network of winches wound with the wicked chains. Light
pours in from a dirty pentagram-shaped skylight set in the roof’s highest point, casting a shadow of Asmodeus’s unholy symbol crisscrossed with chains over the stone floor. Bound to the central pillar is Zefiro Balinger and three other humans. But before Djorn can even take a step in, a vigorous head-shake from Zefiro gives him pause, before he realizes what the man is trying to call his attention to: a trap.

A few minutes later, with the other Pathfinders standing guard, Waki has disabled the trap and freed Zefiro along with the other humans humans.

Noone here is Liberty's Edge, so we're just going to gloss over those guys.

As the Pathfinders consider their next move, they realize that with what happened, they should expect the return of the Inquisitor any minute now; perhaps they should think about how they are going to get out of the prison.

[ooc]At this point, you need to come up with a plan for escaping. Think of it as a free form first round of an altered chase scene. Should you succeed, you will get a round head-start on the Interrogator. Sorry I didn't get to you sooner, the past two days have been 12 hour shifts for me.[ooc]

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Ninja 4/Bloodrager 1 | HP: 38/38 | AC:20 | T: 13 | FF: 17 | CMD: 12 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +10 | Speed 40 ft. Ninja 4 (1/6 ki used) / Bloodrager 1 (3/5 rage) Destined Strike+1 (0/3) Stealth (+12) { invis}

Dang that is one impressive account of our awesome deeds. Thanks!

Waki considers going invisible again, but knows that will not help his allies.

Evidence we have. Depart quickly we should.

He can go invis or boost speed by 20', but can we assume we have obstacles and/or need to get ALL party out also to succeed?

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

Necatanebo directs his zombie to guard whichever threshold the Inquisitor will be returning through (I can't tell/remember where that would be, but I figure I should know in-character), and keep him at bay for as long as she remains animate; not only will he have to fight her, but he'll likely waste precious time first simply trying to make her follow orders - that ought to confuse him!

Grand Lodge

Male Human Bard (4) HP 31/31;AC 16 FF14 Tch 12;Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3; Init+2;Per+7 , SM +5 Perform 12/12

Maybe we should dress ourselves as guards, and keep the person we are to save in chains (or ropes, at least) before getting out of the prison? That could give us a few precious minutes... Maybe we should start a fire in the prison too?

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet

Depending on where you start the fire, that might be very effective.

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

"I think the disguises are a good idea, especially since we found these uniforms. But I think we and Zefiro should all wear them. Leaving him bound or in chains will just make it impossible for him to flee with us if we need to," Djorn says.

"And...as much as I normally like starting fires, there are a lot of prisoners we're going to be leaving behind here. They've been through enough without potentially burning to death as a side effect of a distraction."

That WAS a masterful summary! And an excellent way to deal with all the exploration that could have bogged us down in this scenario.

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

Aiden takes several of the reports and notes and tucks them away into his shirt, particularly the ones regarding the Paracountess. He changes into a dottari uniform.

"Fine, release them, then start the fire. If they're savvy enough, they'll get clear and it'll look like a prison riot. Fleeing prisoners running amok in the city ought to occupy the other guards so we can escape. And the fire will destroy any records of who was here and how those other guards died. Perhaps we should light it in the guards' barracks, though I want the office records destroyed too. Maybe both places at once. Kreema, up to you if you get out with us, on your own, or try to salvage your cover. But we're taking Balinger.

The Exchange

Ganzi Blade of Chaos 5 | ER: Acid 5, Electricity 5, Sonic 5 | HP: 53/53 | AC: 18 | T: 13 | FF: 15 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +10 | Will: +10 (+2 vs polymorph spells) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5 | Sense Motive: +7 | Speed: 30 ft.
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 0 - 6 ; 1 - 2/4 ; 2 - 1/2 ; Tricks: 5/6 ; Panache: 4/5 ; Quibble: 1/1 ; Touch Treatments: 7/7

Impressive! Thanks for this beautiful tale of our pathfindery exploration!

Esh reads quickly the documents found and is amazed by the revelation on Zarta Dralneen. Not very interested by the other papers, he jumps into the conversation.

"Yes, let's change!" then, he notices that almost everyone changed.

Esh shrugs and changes himself as well.

"I guess we can also use the other prisoners as a distraction. I have a little trick under my sleeve to render myself invisible in case of emergency."

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Ninja 4/Bloodrager 1 | HP: 38/38 | AC:20 | T: 13 | FF: 17 | CMD: 12 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +10 | Speed 40 ft. Ninja 4 (1/6 ki used) / Bloodrager 1 (3/5 rage) Destined Strike+1 (0/3) Stealth (+12) { invis}

A plan it is. Proceed immediately, and prisoners escape will distraction cause. Waki tries to don one of the uniforms it it will fit his bird-frame reasonably, otherwise shadows and invis may be his alternative.

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet

The Pathfinders quickly don the uniforms and do their best to disguise Balinger as Krima look about, bewildered. "I thought you were going to knock me out?!? What... You're setting fire to the... Huh?" she stammers, as Aiden and Lukaas - smiling at each other conspiratorially, go back to the head interrogator's office to begin a fire there. "At least knock me out by the door! I don't want to die in a fire here!" she continues, as those prisoners rescued with the curator get ready to bolt out the main doors, leaving the sheepish and otherwise thoroughly brainwashed minor prisoners behind.

I assume you accede to her request. The other prisoners will not budge, and you are out of time. However, you now have two "head-start" rounds in this chase scene: one for the disguises, and one for the fire. I adjudicate that the round you would have gotten from Tamrin due to the escaped guard, but it all evens out in the end.

Interrogator Vasenti power-walked through the herd of insipid, foolish commoners to his prison, swearing inwardly an oath to make Tamrin Credence pay. "I will make him wish he were a slave if I catch that double-crossing cretin. And I'm going to teach those Aspis a lesson they will remember for as long as their organization lasts; starting with that little sepulcher they have on the outskirts of town. Lets see how they feel when their own dead are brought back to serve Dispater and Hell. And if I get my hands on those..." His thoughts trail off as, coming in sight of the Bloody Nail, the doors burst open and guardsmen rush out, along with a smattering of prisonners that immediately begin running. "GET THEM YOU FOOLS!" he screeches as he rushes past the bumbling remainder of his guards, stepping over the prison archivist's bruised and unconscious form. Inside, he smells the charred paper. "WHERE ARE THOSE FOOLS!! SPREAD OUT!" he barks frantically, looking at the one imbecile who came to fetch him, while a couple corpses come stumbling out of the barracks, slowly moving towards the inquisitor and his men. "DISPATCH THEM!" he howls, looking about for... The Aspis... Agents...

***Twelve-ish seconds away...***

The briskly marching not-Aspis check their bearing. This path should be the most direct one to their ship. But in the way are a group of Asmodean priests, distributing free food to pedestrians, all the while singing House Thrune’s praises. "Blessed be the loyal, for in their adherence to duty they are thusly rewarded."

This is a modified chase scene, one in which you will automatically move from one "scene" (or tile) to the next without having to make any checks. The checks that are presented though are there to delay your pursuers, who will otherwise move three tiles automatically. For each successful check made, you delay them, dropping their "speed" by one "tile" to a minimum of 0 as they attempt to travel through that "tile".

Do the pathfinders:

Request Food then throw it to the hungriest-looking?:

Please make a Diplomacy check

Snatch food from the priests and toss to the back of the line?:

Please make a Combat Maneuver (Steal) check

Throw an alchemical bomb/fire into the crowd?:

Please make a range touch attack

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Casting spells must be made with a concentration check, DC 10+ Spell level

Sovereign Court

Male Tengu Ninja 4/Bloodrager 1 | HP: 38/38 | AC:20 | T: 13 | FF: 17 | CMD: 12 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +9 | Will: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +10 | Speed 40 ft. Ninja 4 (1/6 ki used) / Bloodrager 1 (3/5 rage) Destined Strike+1 (0/3) Stealth (+12) { invis}

Waki will try to steal some food to throw into the crowd to cause a delay

Sleight of hand : 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 bleh

Dark Archive

Male Human Bounty Hunter Slayer 4 / Rake URogue 1 (HP: 47/47 | AC: 15/11/14 | F+7 R+8 W+5 | Init +1 | Percep +8 SM +7)

A cruel smile lifts Aiden's lips as he sees the prison begin to smoke and go up in flames. As they run into the priest attending to the crowd, Aiden calls out to them. "Father, all glory to the Dark Prince! May we have some food to feed our bodies as our souls are payment to Asmodeus?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Grand Lodge

Male Human Bard (4) HP 31/31;AC 16 FF14 Tch 12;Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3; Init+2;Per+7 , SM +5 Perform 12/12

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

May we help you distributing your boons to those in needs? There is no need to suffer chaos from hungry masses when we can work together coherently and be sure than everyone gets as much as he needs and not more.

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

"Bah, House Thune knows you don't ask. The strong take and give to the weak, should they feel benevolent," Djorn says, making a grab for one of the baskets and hurling it toward the back of the line of hungry mendicants.

Combat Maneuver (Steal): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

Did you see my last post? You didn't factor in my idea.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Nectanebo manages to jimmy open the side face of a food crate, causing its contents to tumble out into the crowded thoroughfare!

The Exchange

Ganzi Blade of Chaos 5 | ER: Acid 5, Electricity 5, Sonic 5 | HP: 53/53 | AC: 18 | T: 13 | FF: 15 | CMD: 15 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +10 | Will: +10 (+2 vs polymorph spells) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5 | Sense Motive: +7 | Speed: 30 ft.
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 0 - 6 ; 1 - 2/4 ; 2 - 1/2 ; Tricks: 5/6 ; Panache: 4/5 ; Quibble: 1/1 ; Touch Treatments: 7/7

Sorry, I forgot to post!

Esh smiles warmly at the priest and cups his hands.

"Oh, father. Please let me help! You sure needs hands as to not do it all by yourself!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29

The Exchange

My Game Tracker If using PFS Tracker, search Upaynao 43451 // My signup sheet

@Nectanebo: I believed I did, but I must have misread it. Nonetheless, the spirit of your delay was factored in which brings us to our maximum delay of two rounds before the inquisitor begins to pursue you.

Seething, the inquisitor had a moment of dread... He rushed to his office, only to be attacked by another dead guard in the doorway. "HELL'S POX; GUARDS! TO ME!"

Meanwhile, as Waki and Aiden unsuccessfully attempt to plead for food, Djorn snatches the bread loaf in their priestly interlocutor's hands before lobbing it like a football towards the back. The crowd begins to shift uncontrollably, as Nectanebo casually steps up to the other side of the food crate to pop the back-end. Loaves spill into the street, and Lukaas, along with Esh, manage to plead for a loaf from an overwhelmed priest. Food in hand, they toss the food in the opposite direction to Djorn's loaf. Stepping away from the food cart, the Pathfinders leave a scene of desperate chaos in their wake.

You have generated 3 Delays. Well done!

Hustling away a couple hundred feet, the fleeing Pathfinders are stopped in their tracks by a Loyalty Day parade, complete with floats, banners, and dancers. The agents consider their options.

Do you try and destroy some of the floats and decorations?:

Please make a ranged attack, complete with a damage roll

Do you attempt to jump on through the procession, sowing as much chaos as you can?:

Please make an Acrobatics check.

Use magic to bring in an outsider to spoil the party?:

Please expend a conjuration spell of at least 1st level. Yeah, its that easy.

Scarab Sages

male Elf Occultist 5
Spoiler:
|AC 20, T 13, FF 17|HP: 30*/28*|F +4*, R +3, W +4 (+2 vs Necromancy/curses/TNLs)|Init +2, Perc +8|CMB +5 CMD 17|Deadspeaker 2/2, Ghostly Horde 0/1, Focus: 5 Gloaming Shroud, 0 Skull of Azrael, 3 Guidingstar

Nectanebo squeezes his way to the front of the crowd, reaches into his coat, and pulls out...a fine set of dentures???

He quickly operates a tiny clockwork mechanism set in the back, and drops the teeth on the ground...where they immediately begin bouncing and clacking their way across the street, on an apparent collision course for the parade leader's (goose-stepping?) feet....

Grand Lodge

Male Human M Human Ranger(Guide)3/Fighter 1 [HP 35/44, AC 20/22 /ff 16/18 /t 14, Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +4, Per +8, Spd 30'

Djorn takes only a moment to enjoy the chaos they've distributed in the food line (and feel a bit of guilt at messing with hungry people getting free bread) before he spots the inquisitor and his men in the distance.

"Gotta go!" he shouts, hurrying through the streets...only to come face to face with perhaps the strangest parade he's ever seen.

It's enough to make him stutter step but then, he regains his senses and balance and hurries on, pausing only long enough to pull out and hurl a javelin at a smiling paper mache effigy of some person he doesn't recognize, but who gives him the creeps, nonetheless.

Javelin: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

201 to 250 of 256 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS]7-18 Faithless and Forgotten, Part 3: The Infernal Inheritance by GM Upaynao All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.