Shadow over Riddleport

Game Master Joana

"We cornered his drunken ass in the Goblin last time. This time, we won't show any mercy. We'll kill him for what he did to Larur, and then he'll tell us where Lil is." -- Braddon Hurst


11,251 to 11,295 of 11,295 << first < prev | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | next > last >>

Male Human (Chelaxian)
Tendal Deverin wrote:
"Was it dry down here before the tsunami?" Tendal asks, turning to cast the question at Saul.

"Drier than this," Saul shrugs. "Damp though. There's a tunnel over that way," he waves across the dark pond that fills the center of the room, "sinks a bit. I ran into seawater that way, but it must be passable when the tide's right."


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

From within the deep crevice, Gristav's voice says, "He's here.", at a volume that might carry. There's more, but in Dwarvish, and leveled for nearer ears.

"Ni fyddaf yn eich symud, dim ond nawr. Rwy'n golygu, y byddai'n well? Hyd nes y deellir y dyfroedd, dim bedd. Pan fydd y gefeiliau'n sych, a fyddai'r fflamau hynny'n dod â chysur ichi?"

"Dychwelaf. Ond mae'n rhaid i mi fynd, mae yna bobl i ddal i anadlu. A phobl i stopio."

Dwarvish:
"I will not move you, just now. I mean, _where_, would be better? Until the waters are understood, no grave. When the forges are dry, would those flames bring you comfort?"

"I'll return. But I've got to go, there's people to keep breathing. And people to stop."

Gristav exits the crevice neither less nor more burdened than when he went in. "Thank you, all. Should we explore nearby, or the Goblin above? The water needn't be a barrier, but not everything we carry wants a bath."


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

"We should quickly ensure that no threats to our safety have wandered into this cavern. If we discover more than we can safely engage, we should make a tactical retreat to gather our comrades." Tendal suggests, moving toward the puddle.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

As an aside to Serpe "I've a need for the baths at some point today... too encrusted in filth to think straight..."


hp 36 / 38; AC 16; Init +2; 6 Str damage Male Half-elf Ranger 4

Braddon shifts uncomfortably as Gristav emerges.
"I'm... uh... sorry for your loss. I liked him."
He shrugs.
"Let's go kill Bojasc."


Phillip Hargreaves wrote:
As an aside to Serpe "I've a need for the baths at some point today... too encrusted in filth to think straight..."

Leaning with his back against a wall, Snake rests his head against it, looking up to the ceiling as he speaks. "That and a real night's sleep. Feels like we're in a nightmare we can't wake up from. I hate those kind."


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phillip muses on Serpe's point before shrugging his shoulders "Lucid dreaming maybe... we've at least some play with the ebb and flow..." contemplating his as yet unvoiced nascent plans.


Angling his vision just enough to catch sight of the halfling, "Yeah okay. I'll give you that, Raccoon. At least we do have that." Turning his attention back to the ceiling, "We've just got to make sure we do something with this 'ebb and flow' or we might get swept away like half this town just did."


Tendal Deverin wrote:
"We should quickly ensure that no threats to our safety have wandered into this cavern. If we discover more than we can safely engage, we should make a tactical retreat to gather our comrades." Tendal suggests, moving toward the puddle.

Are you going around the puddle or through it, Tendal?


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)
Braddon Hurst wrote:

Braddon shifts uncomfortably as Gristav emerges.

"I'm... uh... sorry for your loss. I liked him."
He shrugs.
"Let's go kill Bojasc."

"You're sorry, for my loss? Larur... was no grandmother." Gristav embraces Braddon. "I won't pledge to blood", he says, releasing the other peredhel, "But there will be justice."

Tendal Deverin wrote:
"We should quickly ensure that no threats to our safety have wandered into this cavern. If we discover more than we can safely engage, we should make a tactical retreat to gather our comrades." Tendal suggests, moving toward the puddle.

"Tendal, have a care. Subsidence."


hp 36 / 38; AC 16; Init +2; 6 Str damage Male Half-elf Ranger 4

Braddon moves aside his blades to accept the hug awkwardly, then nods as if in understanding.
He turns to make his way back up to join the others.


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

Tendal moved forward in the cave, moving slowly and watchfully, his initial impulse to stride into the puddle quashed by Gristav's warning.


Tendal slowly skirts the edge of the puddle, sticking close to the wall of the cavern. His arcane light reflects off the dark surface of the water as he passes the niche where Larur's corpse was hidden and another narrow one past that. As the wall curves back around, he can see a low tunnel leading out of the cavern, but between him and it is an expanse of water; it appears that, if the tunnel descends from here, as Saul says, it is still flooded. It is likely to be impassable until low tide.


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

Having less fear than what he'd put on Tendal, Gristav works the edge, at least, at first, of the puddle, probing with his staff. "Phillip's a talent for search. Perhaps leave it to him?", he said, but kept plumbing the puddle's bottom, half-dragging the staff, to sound anything large enough, or find any collapsed hole. He hoped. "Can your lights dive?"

Turning to the tunnel, Gris says, for Tendal, but not to anyone, "If we want to explore that, we can do it now. Breath I can promise us all, but not dry, not until after. I think we're for upstairs, next, at least to stash the dry-kept goods we carry."


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

Tendal looks at Gristav for a moment before plunging his cane into the puddle at his feet, causing the illumination in the rest of the room to fade but the light from his cane shining through the water without much difficulty.

"The light is magical and unlike fire, requires no air to consume. We should proceed, how long does your breathing spell last?"


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

Shrugging out of his backpack, with its spellbook and maps and far too many oddments to suffer immersion, Gristav replied. "Does it comfort or worry, that it's not a spell, more a hex, and not a last, but a continue, perhaps a minute until my Will must re-weave the Wyrd. But it's durant, in mind, in the manner of a cantrip, and I can restore it trivially. So, with increasing burden on my any other function, I could convey, perhaps a dozen folk."

Tendal could see, the several uses of prestidigitation, as Gristav spoke, some occasioned by brief touches on the half-elf's clothing, as if focusing something beneath. At one, the bag shifted, something added to its burden. "You'll be sodden, of course.", he warned.

"And... I've never used it, before. It only became clear, in this last night's mares. Me first, then?", he asked with a grin, stone-grey eyes glinting as he Wove.

Water Lung, for Gristav, then a test, then Tendal, and offered to Braddon.


Gristav is his own guinea pig, hexing himself before walking into the puddle. Several feet down the tunnel, the water is only waist-deep; he has to duck down to test the efficacy of his magic.

It's an odd sensation to breathe water, and Gristav can hardly keep himself from panicked coughing even when there is no need for it. The tunnel continues downward, and ahead the water eventually meets the ceiling of the passage. Although breathing poses no problem under the influence of his hex, free movement is still hampered by the water, and visibility is less than ideal as the suspended mud and detritus washed down from the river and the cave function almost like fog.

Underwater Combat rules will apply, as in the Firm Footing entry. (Pretty sure you're all carrying at least 16 pounds?)


As the tall man seeks a place to sit and rest and finds it, he sets his pack down and Luck takes off and spends his time investigating. "Wonder what's taking them so long? Can't be too much space to look around. Most of it's got to be underwater."


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phillip shrugs "An affair of the heart rather than the head, Bolboreta's care runs deep where thebadger is concerned. We give the man his space to grieve..." surprisingly circumspect for the moment... "But aye... it'd do for the rest of us if they got a wriggle on" winking with a raconteur's flair.


The tall man's typical stone visage cracks as a slight grin forms. "As long as I don't have to hear about it. I deal with enough nightmares as it is."


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

Surfacing from the puddle, Gristav tries to (what else?) speak, but instead retches ensorcelled water. "Water. OR Air. Not both.", he reports to Tendal, as if in a lab, Tendal taking notes. "But it works. But, it's not what we're accustomed to. I say, we make repairs first, of Braddon at least. And arm for the medium. All the bodies, will have drawn... well, we ought be armed to fend."


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

Presuming Tendal's agreement to delay of further explorations, Gristav cantrips himself dry and clean, taking up his backpack afterward. Tendal's sure of several more apportations, but their objects never come to view.

"Let us rejoin the others?"


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

"That sounds prudent. If your splashing didn't draw immediate interest from the sodden crevice beyond, I do not think that there is any pending threat. We have other things we need to be about," he agreed, heading back towards Saul, Braddon and the Gold Goblin above.


Male Human (Chelaxian)

Saul looks intensely relieved that no one has suggested he brave the flooded tunnels. He climbs back up quickly before anyone can.


hp 36 / 38; AC 16; Init +2; 6 Str damage Male Half-elf Ranger 4

Braddon stands aside to let the others ascend.
He looks back at the murky interior as the light retreats, then follows the others back upstairs.


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"He is there.", Gristav said, rejoining the others. "Or the described package. I didn't try to wake him." Gristav stressed the pun. "Nor coroner-court. That can all wait until we've someplace known safe, to take him. But thank you all, for the... time for words. I've found my Dwarvish, surprisingly ready."


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phillip acknowledges that Gristav has found what has been searched for with a short nod before aiming to follow the rest in ascendance back to the Goblin. As they begin to ascend, he queries "Matter temporarily put to side and roost reclaimed... what thoughts for the rest of the day?"


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"Braddon. To Arnando. In recognition of inevitable future conflicts, and his central role, in finding our way through them, if not to them."


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

"Shall we together or break to parts? - There's merit in mucking out the Goblin and similar in seeking supplies to bolster the bulwark... and though separate hands will make for quicker work... I'm not sure its best for any one to be alone" indicating through inflection and choice of words that it would be unwise to either bring Saul back into the light, or leave him alone in the dark.


hp 36 / 38; AC 16; Init +2; 6 Str damage Male Half-elf Ranger 4

"Aren't we checking upstairs and the rest of this place first? If Bojasc isn't here, I'll head to the Publican while you find him,"
Braddon offers, hoping this sounds like he's making a contribution as opposed to shirking work.


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

Tendal nods at Braddon's words and then sweeps his cane through the air, suggesting the search of the Goblin. "Mr. Hurst is correct. While we are fresh, and not dispersed, we should clear the Goblin from where we stand to the rafters, thus ensuring we have some semblance of a safe place of operations."

"As to de-mudding the Goblin, while I believe that it will be a worthy endeavor to accomplish, I do not think that this is the time for muckraking. Our ire has targets that are not under our gaze. We must quickly repair this unfortunate state of affairs."

"Thus, a suggestion: clear the Gold Goblin, then we divide and hunt. We should determine Bojasc's location with precision whilst also finding passage to the Devil's Elbow as quickly as possible. I have the unnerving feeling that the tsunami will not cease until Riddleport is washed away or the Elbow is secured. It is merely a theory, but I feel that we should take it seriously."

"When we depart to our tasks, I plan to seek any passage that can be bought or coerced to carry those who are interested to the Elbow."


Male Human (Chelaxian)

"I suggest putting something heavy on that trap door," Saul interposes. "The tunnels may be flooded now, but once the water has receded, there's nothing stopping Bojasc from getting into the Goblin this way." He kicks at the door in the fighting pit.


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"What would he want in the Goblin?", Gristav asked of Saul. "And if you expect him, why leave Larur below? DO you expect him? And why?"

Turning to Tendal after Saul's reply, Gristav says, "The supposed fastest ship in Riddleport, if it's _in_ Riddleport, rather than someplace upon it, is said to be the Flying Cloud. Mayhap we shop together, or if not, my name might bring a luck. Say, 'Albatross'."


The tall man gives a slight smirk at Gristav's question. "Is that a real question, bub? I'm thinking the answer's pretty obvious. Once he finds the fat man missing - because remember now, he was caged up in a cave - the big fella's going to come to looking for him. And this would surely be the first place I'd look."


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"All true. But finding him lost, then finding the door locks changed, Bojasc is to then brave a flooding tunnel... for what? Saul, I mean no offense, but what's your value?"


"Did you not hear what he said? He said 'once the waters receded'. And in a town like this, it's never about value. It's about revenge. Well, either that or he's getting paid to take him out. It's one or the other. I'd probably lean toward the latter. Anyway, doesn't really get much simpler than that, bub," he states plainly.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Supporting Snake's take Phil shrugs "Bojasc is a tool and will act as instructed. At present I'd be inclined to talk ourselves into paranoia rather than lilt t'wards complacence."


Male Human (Chelaxian)

"The Goblin's Bojasc's only home in Riddleport as much as it's mine," Saul adds. "Where else might he go, if he's not with Lil? And Lil's always come and gone through the tunnels. I presume she has someone conversant with the tides to tell her when it's safe."


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"We still have enough sand, and crates from the bar will hold it on the unhinged side of the trapdoor. But only after we bring Larur past the trapdoor. After _I_ bring him, I suppose. The bedclothes from his room will be a shroud for that task. So, above, for now."


The party climbs back up both sets of stairs to the kitchen.


Hp :26/26; AC 11(15) / 11 tch / 10(14) ff; Fashionable Merchant 4

Tendal points towards the stairs leading up. "I plan to examine the upper floors as efficiently as possible. Help would be appreciated both upstairs and in the remaining rooms on this floor. Then we can return here to discuss our further options and plans." Tendal says, as he sets off.

Tendal sets about exploring for any hidden adversaries in the Gold Goblin. He moves steadily, but carefully, listenening and watching for any signs of lurkers as he moves through each of the rooms on the upper floor.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phillip nods assent to the intent, and seeks to follow with physical demonstration of goal achievement.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
hp 36 / 38; AC 16; Init +2; 6 Str damage Male Half-elf Ranger 4

Braddon is only too happy to lead the way back upstairs. Muttering quietly under his breath, he moves about on the balls of his feet, stopping before doorways before lunging through them, swords in hand.
One wonders how long he's been practising this. And, more disquieting a thought, why.


Snake follows behind the others and wonders what the hell is wrong with Braddon before simply shrugging it off and chalking it up as 'insanity'. "I'm going to check out our rooms," he tells the others, heading first to his old room, curious to see its current state.


M 1/2E Magus 4 :2223a1: BAB3 CMB/D:5/17 AC/T/Ff:16/12/14 Init2 Perc1?3(F:9) HP36/36 FRW6,5,3(F:6) UMD11 Scft10 Alch7 K:Arc7 K:Lcl7 Appr7 Ride/Climb/Swim/Dance:6 Dipl/Intim:5 Acrobatics5 Sense Motive3(F:6)

"Braddon, if you mirrored one of your blades, you could look around the corner beforehand. Sort of backhand, beforehand. On the other hand, the forehand lunge has a certain... fist to it."

Meanwhile, Bolbo flit ahead, at least to be found clinging to the shoulder of the Desna statue.

11,251 to 11,295 of 11,295 << first < prev | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadow over Riddleport All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.