Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

The incredible Gargoyle Magus?


Advice


I have a dark vision for a character: The incredible gargoyle magus. The plan is something like this:

The spell Monstrous Physique lets you transform into a gargoyle:

A: I don't know if natural attacks can be taken as part of a spell combat attack action, but if so that is awesome.

B: Gargoyles have the freeze ability, which Monstrous Physique II lets you retain: Sit still and gain a +20 to stealth to hide in plain sight to appear as a statue! That sounds useful.

C: I GOT WINGS!

Is this awesome? Effective?


Awesome? Yes.

Effective? Not sure, but certainly can be if your Dex is good.


moar!


:(


I could be wrong, but I can't see where a natural attack can be used in combination of spell combat.

While appearing as a statue could help you hide, I as a GM would rule that this wouldn't work everywhere. A main street, a dungeon, inside some buildings would work if 'hiding' in statue form. However, many places would not be appropriate nor expected to find a statue, so this tactic wouldn't be universal, IMO.

Being able to fly is always a good thing.


I'll bump, since I can't do much else.


Not quite the same as your thread, but looking at this and then looking at Gargoyles gave me a great idea for my campaign! >> But that's not what you wanted to hear about.

It doesn't look like RAW you could use Spell Combat with a claw and a spell, since it specifies

"To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand."

That doesn't mean you couldn't convince your DM to bend the rules for you, but remember natural attacks don't get iterative attacks either.


Yeah... Also, even a magus doesn't have to spell combat every turn. With my arcana enhancing my weapon and all those fancy natural attacks I might want to save my spells once in a while and go insane with the sword, one claw, bite and gore. By level twenty (three sword attacks alone), that's six attacks in a full attack action!!!

Cheliax

Pathfinder Modules Subscriber
gamer-printer wrote:

I could be wrong, but I can't see where a natural attack can be used in combination of spell combat.

While appearing as a statue could help you hide, I as a GM would rule that this wouldn't work everywhere. A main street, a dungeon, inside some buildings would work if 'hiding' in statue form. However, many places would not be appropriate nor expected to find a statue, so this tactic wouldn't be universal, IMO.

Being able to fly is always a good thing.

The only pre-req for spell combat is that you be wielding a one handed weapon in your other hand. All natural attacks are considered light one handed weapons so it qualifies.

Using one of the charge spells (frostbite, chilltouch, etc) on a creature with 4 natural attacks (5 if you play a hexcrafter) will let you deliver an absolute insane amount of spell damage every round. Now with that said Gargoyle is the second best monstrous human form to turn into. The best is to turn into a Calikang, this gives you 6 arms and 4 natural attacks instead and still leaves two arms free so you can make normal weapon attacks as well. Also since the Calikang is a large sized creature you get reach and a boost to your CMB/CMD as well.

Normally you will want to be the Calikang unless you need to be able to fly and fight RIGHT NOW then you'd switch to the Gargoyle instead.


Mathwei ap Niall wrote:
The only pre-req for spell combat is that you be wielding a one handed weapon in your other hand. All natural attacks are considered light one handed weapons so it qualifies.

The other pre-req is that one hand is free of weapons, so does a natural attack (claw) mean that the hand is both free of weapons and is considered a light weapon - this is what I find confusing, so I didn't make the point you make.

Luckily for my group, we play humans as the primary race of our characters, and rarely elves. We never use other races, so it's never an issue in our game.

Cheliax

Pathfinder Modules Subscriber
gamer-printer wrote:
Mathwei ap Niall wrote:
The only pre-req for spell combat is that you be wielding a one handed weapon in your other hand. All natural attacks are considered light one handed weapons so it qualifies.

The other pre-req is that one hand is free of weapons, so does a natural attack (claw) mean that the hand is both free of weapons and is considered a light weapon - this is what I find confusing, so I didn't make the point you make.

Luckily for my group, we play humans as the primary race of our characters, and rarely elves. We never use other races, so it's never an issue in our game.

Thats kind of the point of having natural weapons, your hand is considered free while still having the ability to attack.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Depending on your (or your GM's) definition of "wielding" a weapon, a claw attack might still work in conjunction with the magus' other signature class feature: the spellstrike.

Nothing stops you from carrying a sword when and where spell combat would be most effective. You only get a standard action in the surprise round, anyway. Assuming your GM will allow you to "wield" your claws, why not make that standard action a claw-delivered spellstrike?

Daron Woodson
Abandoned Arts


moar


MOAR!!!


Dude. Check out the Hexcrafter guide.

The melee transmorgifist specializes in using either Gargoyle or Calikang for lots of attacks. Do that and cast Rime Frostbite for 6 attacks + COLD SMITE!!

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / The incredible Gargoyle Magus? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.