Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Snorter's Rise of the Runelords Campaign


Play-by-Post

1,851 to 1,900 of 1,931 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>

Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

Galstok will accompany Valoria back towards the rooms.


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue 2

Sephird will cautiously sneak back up the stairs to take a look around.
stealth 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Shadow Lodge

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

If you remember the layout of the room upstairs, there were two doors to the north. The shouting seems to come from behind one or both of those doors, and is recognisably goblin voices, but the content is unclear.

There appear to be at least three distinct voice types involved; one booming, one low and hissing, and another higher-pitched and pleading.


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue 2

Backing down the stairs, Sephird motions to the others. "Let's check the other rooms down that hall before going upstairs. Didn't sound like anyone is coming, but we should watch anyway."


Valoria looks at Orik's map, then heads towards Lyrie's room, signalling to Galstok to follow. When they in position by the door, she waves her one hand to open the door using spell power.


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

With the door open, Galstok dashes into the room weapon raised.

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Shadow Lodge

While this bedroom is clean and brightly lit by an everburning torch lying on the nightstand, the room’s spartan decor makes it unclear if it’s actually lived in.

The bed looks to have been neatly made, and the floor is swept, with a small pile of hard to reach dust in the corner.


"There probably isn't anyone down there, or they'd have heard us."

"I'll watch this main room, till you're done."

He starts to pick up the scattered pieces of his armour from the floor, and recommences dressing.

Andoran

"I think I'll watch this room, too."

Tregar keeps an eye on the stairs (and Orik).

Shadow Lodge

A quick description of the rooms, as follows, starting with the room to the left of Orik's, if you wish to spend longer anywhere, just say.

Top left: This room is clean and well-organized. A low dresser to the southwest has writing implements, which look recently used, and a large chunk of obsidian sits on a sheaf of papers. To the northwest sits a well-made bed.

Top right: Orik's room. Already described, in a state of disarray.

Bottom right: This bedroom has a faint, musty odor. The bed is covered with matted gray and black hair, and bloodstains mar the stone floor, while a morbid stack of birds’ feet lies heaped on the floor by the side of the bed.

Bottom left: While this bedroom is clean and brightly lit by an everburning torch lying on the nightstand, the room’s spartan decor makes it unclear if it’s actually lived in.

End room: This large chamber seems to serve a dual purpose. To the north is a fine bed with silk sheets, while to the south, a desk and chair under a hanging lantern make a comfortable-looking study.


In the end room Valoria decides to look extra carefully for possible secret doors.

Rolls:
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 If needed
Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 If needed

Shadow Lodge

This room shows little signs of being lived in; the bed is used, and there are impressions of two people, but whoever sleeps here, would seem to spend little other time here.

The bed is a grand piece of furniture, which would have had to be taken apart and rebuilt, to bring it through the door. The frame and bedding are still in good condition, unaffected by the sea air.

You find no other exits, even after being helped by Ensu, who fits under the bed, but finds no clothes.

The desk contains a receipt and assembly instructions for the bed, from a furniture maker in Magnimar, as well as several crumpled receipts from armourers, and menus from several taverns, all in the same city.

A wooden box, about a foot long, opens to reveal itself as a specimen case; several thin layers of hinged shelves contain butterflies and moths, pinned to both sides of each leaf, under thin glass, together with their respective caterpillars and coccoons. The case is engraved inside, with a dedication to 'Ezakien Tobyn', on his ordination.
Papers at the bottom of the box contain sketches of some of these creatures, their features mingled with those of a handsome girl with long, pale hair. Some, where the eyes are large, black and prominent, resemble an elf, some are of a humanoid figure with feathered antennae and/or wings, some are of an insect or caterpillar with a humanoid head.
The work is in two distinct styles, some dating back up to ten years ago in a fine charcoal and pastels, others in a more abstract brushed ink, reminiscent of the artisans of Minkai.

For the earlier sketches, think of the styles of Arthur Rackham, or Tony diTerlizzi (Spiderwick, Planescape).


Valoria, closes the box and places it in her backpack for later examination of the items. She quickly returns to Lyrie's room to search for anything useful or belonging to Lyrie, so they don't have to return when they find Lyrie.

Once back with the group, she mention that she found a wooden box contain sketches.


Male Gnome Cleric 2 (Nethys)

"Sounds like that belonged to poor old Father Tobyn."

If that prompts blank stares, he adds, "Before all this unpleasantness, I was enjoying the Swallowtail festival. I heard the new priest perform a eulogy to his late predecessor."


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

Galstok's face is blank at his statement until Ensu explains then he nods.

"The rest of these rooms look empty. I think if there were more of the beasts down these other two doors they would have stuck there faces in here." Looking to Orik, "Was there anyone in the cells?"


"Some of the new goblins, that failed the chieftain's tests."


Valoria looks again at the map, "Where should we go next to find the pathfinder?"


Male Gnome Cleric 2 (Nethys)

"There's still likely some good stuff in the other rooms. I'll check them if you like, while you decide?"


"The bugbear certainly had some good gear. I don't imagine he took it with him, when he went cuckolding the chief."


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

Indicating the bow that he is carrying, "He had this longbow, a flail, and his armor on when we found him."

If they have a moment Galstok will return to the cavern and slip Kavrik's cestus on his hand.

Shadow Lodge

I didn't realise I'd given out his bow already.
If I didn't already say, it's a (Str+4) composite bow, so can't be drawn efficiently by anyone except Galstok.
It also came with 20 regular arrows and four magical arrows, with additional conjuration aura.


"Ensu, go ahead to check the other rooms. I will watch at the door to the battleground."


Male Gnome Cleric 2 (Nethys)

"Nothing in Lyrie's room, looks like she's travelling light.
But there was this in the other."

Ensu holds a sheaf of papers, from the desk in Tsuto's room, which contain a sketch map of Sandpoint, with diagrams of goblin attack plans.
These are similar to those seen earlier, but the handwriting is more stressed, and the plans more desperate, relying on fewer goblins than before, only 40 in total, if all attacks took place simultaneously.

Efforts have been made to focus more arson attacks on the Rusty Dragon, which in previous plans had been a minor target.

The margins contain notes; "STOP RIPNUGGET KILLING GOBLINS!", "FIND DRUID.", "RUNE WELL. EFFECTS ON GOBLINS YET?". This last is written over the western sea cliffs.

At the back of the map are alleged evidence of Lonjiku Kaijitsu's involvement in smuggling, from the re-opened caves under the Glassworks, and draft blackmail letters, unsigned, but marked with a Tian pictogram. The most recent of these was half written, but has been torn through with a violent scrape of a pen, spattering the page with ink.


Valoria looks over the map and other papers, then speaks, "I guess once we finished exploring this place we will be heading back to Sandpoint to warn the mayor of more trouble."

Andoran

"Trouble may be coming this way. Sounds like the chief is getting impatient. They're coming down."


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

Coming back into the room Galstok hears Tregar's warning. Quickly checking the haft of his hammer he sees the stuff has gone and he eagerly grabs it back up.

"Then shall we continue the hunt then?"

Shadow Lodge

Looks like it's initiative time, again.

Sorry to keep scrapping in this same room, but it seems to be a main thoroughfare. It's getting like Piccadilly Circus at rush hour.

If anyone wants to take the fight elsewhere, say so, otherwise it's likely they'll be coming down those same stairs. You'll have a round to get into positions from where you were in the south corridor.


Roll:
Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Against she will use the southern door as cover from where will attack.


"I'll see if I can draw them off. Leave the east door clear."

Andoran

"Want support? I can shoot from cover of the crates."

Tregar backs into the junk room.


Male Gnome Cleric 2 (Nethys)

While everyone is together,

Channel 1d6 ⇒ 4 heals anyone injured.

If anyone is more injured than that, he has time to use another.


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

Galstok is still down 6 but it might be worth saving since its an AOE; up to you.

It's a good room to fight in. Lots of options if small.

Initiative:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
lol Ambushing and am probably going first.

"You want to draw them over there? Then if you want to be the anvil I can act as the hammer." Galstok will move behind the door he used before to attack the goblins in the rear as the come through.

Shadow Lodge

No reply from Sephird, so continue as if he's hidden.

The shouting gets louder, and several goblins spill down the stairs. These are dressed in black clothes and face masks, wielding double-handed weapons of varying design, and carry themselves more aggressively than the others you've encountered.

They see the signs of battle, and are immediately agitated, shouting for answers.


"It's the Birdcrunchers! They tried to start something, but got beaten, and ran off into the caves!"

Bluff 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

The first one into the room immediately runs off through the door to the junk room.

Two stop to poke at the bodies, curiously.

The fourth stands up to his full height, and fixes Orik with a steely glare.

"So, how come there's none lying here, then?"


"Don't just stand there! Get after them, NOW!"

Intimidate 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Shadow Lodge

"Don't tell me what to do, you lanky streak of piss. You need to learn your place."

With that, the goblin leader brandishes his horsechopper under Orik's nose.

The two onlookers start to grin, and chant.

"Fight, fight, fight!"

From the stairs comes the sound of a new voice.

"What's all this shouting? I'll have no shouting in here! Not unless it's me!"

Shadow Lodge

Down the stairs comes a blue lizard, straddling the stairwell on sticky padded feet.
Mounted on the lizard's back is a fierce goblin, wearing a finely-tooled breastplate, furs and a dented silver crown. A well-crafted halberd blade, on a shortened haft, sits at his waist.

At this point, everyone in the room begins shouting at each other.

The noise is enough to drown out any sounds of PCs repositioning themselves and drawing weapons.

Though the goblins have their weapons drawn, and are in a state of readiness to start trouble, they are unlikely to be surprised, but could still be caught flat-footed.

All PCs can effectively refocus to Initiative 20+Init, ready for any inevitable ambush.

Andoran

"Hmmm. That sounds bad."

The lone goblin wanders through the junk cave, looking puzzled.
It chooses not to go into the furthest cave, stopping at the entrance, listens, then turns to go back.

Tregar takes aim, and looses an arrow before it can raise the alarm.

1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 1 = 23
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The arrow hits it square on, but this goblin does not fall like the others, grabbbing the shaft, and breaking off the flights.

Shadow Lodge

Initiatives you are aware of:

Galstok 28
Tregar 26
Sephird 24
Valoria 23
Orik 21
Ensu 20


Valoria will take aim with her crossbow at the rider.

Rolls:
Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Male Shoanti Human Barbarian 2

With bestial roar Galstok will burst out the room into the goblins swinging his hammer. Wisps swirl around him as he moves whirling faster until lashing out at the creature before him as he brings his hammer around.

If he can get to rider he will do so otherwise will close on the nearest one.

Raging rnd 1
Attack(PA):1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 8 - 1 = 14
Damage(PA):2d6 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (4, 6) + 9 + 3 = 22

Attack(wisp):1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Damage(wisp):1d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Shadow Lodge

That's definitely a kill on the nearest goblin, one of those picking over the bodies, who looks up at the last moment.

I'll get a map put up tonight.

Andoran

Tregar tries to put a second arrow in the wounded goblin.

1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The arrow clips him, but doesn't draw blood.


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue 2

Woot, this thread had gone to inactive

Standing at one side, Sephird comes out swinging.

without map, I'm assuming I don't have to move (other than 5') and can take full attack.

TWF rapier +2 if flanking 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
TWF shortsword +2 if flanking 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
confirm shortsword crit 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

damage rapier 1d6 ⇒ 6
damage shortsword 1d6 ⇒ 3

sneak attack if flanked 1d6 ⇒ 3 1d6 ⇒ 2

Shadow Lodge

You can throw the door open (and since you were prepared, I'll consider it part of the same action as the 5' step), to reveal a second goblin examining a body in front of you.

He straightens up as you step toward him, but fails to move aside (no Dex bonus).

Your first lunge catches on his armour, but the second hits him in his arm as he flings it up in front of his face.

Total 5 damage, inc sneak attack.

Shadow Lodge

The chief lunges with his dogslicer at Orik, and pulls on the reins, so the lizard also attempts to bite him.

Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Both attacks miss, then he dashes round Orik, to get to the north-west door.

Orik swings at him as he passes;
AoO 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

which is deflected by the gorget of his armoured collar, to continue over his ducked head.

The lizard arrives by the door, with its feet pressed against the wall, and the chief opens it to slip through.


What is the combat order?


Male Human (Varisian) Rogue 2

and an updated map?

Shadow Lodge

Map is HERE

Initiative is:

Galstok 28
Tregar 26
Sephird 24
Valoria 23
Chief 22
Orik 21
Ensu 20
Goblins 13

1,851 to 1,900 of 1,931 << first < prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Snorter's Rise of the Runelords Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.