Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

The Torture Chamber (Everquest RPG PBP)

Game Master Xenh

Abandon all hope, ye who enter the world of Norrath.


51 to 100 of 2,605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

"Thank you, Quinaweniel!" says Revery in response to Quinaweniel's healing touch. Now that the pain is gone, he starts to shiver as his body is functioning properly, given the current conditions.

"We must huddle together. Please try not to think of modesty and propriety, as this is something we must do for survival." He climbs into the middle part of the raft and waits for the others to join him.

"Gwendalyn, food and water would be fantastic, as would dry clothing! I too am a jeweler, and I hope someday we will be able to compare our best works. As for my magics, they are not of the summoning variety. Alas, I am not so useful at the moment; perhaps later..." Revery seems disappointed he is unable to use his magics to help.

"My full name is Brontide Revery, but my friends have just called me Revery, or sometimes Professor Revery, but that was mostly in jest. I come from Erudin, as you might expect. I believe I was on a different ship when we were boarded and captured. Much of the rest of it is a blur in my mind...."

rolls:

Fort Save
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Damage
1d6 ⇒ 6


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Each of you drags around 3' of heavy chain dangling from the end of the manacle bound to your left wrist.

Revery succumbs to the elements (failed fort save vs. DC 15, 5/6 hit points, 1 point of subdual damage, fatigued).

The enchanter has a strength buff spell, which would be very useful in swimming and muscling pipes around.


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Coughing and spitting water from his lungs, Sajeek looks around at the other surviviors. The Vah Shir guessed that a fair amount had a least escaped from their chains. Swimming out of the rip in the ship had been nightmare fodder. Sliding past limbs and twiching bodies into the blackness of the waters, Sajeek wasn't really sure how he had made it to the surface.

Thinking about the horrible swim, he can remember the occasional tug on his arm as Sajeek had clumsily had his way to the surface. Where he could expect to freeze to death instead of drowning. 'My day is starting to look up,' he thinks with a tired grin.

Clawing his way over to where the the big foreheaded magic user called Revery had sat down. The Vah Shir plops down bonelessly next to the one called Revery. The others were trading words, and introductions with each others as the raft is knocked about by the storm. The young Beastlord looks at the wreakage that the beast had caused in it's rampage.

"R-r-revery is r-r-right, we need t-t-to huddle together to s-s-share b-b-body warmth, or we'll all f-f-freeze to d-d-death," the young beastlord says between chattering fangs.

"I a-a-am called Sajeek."

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

subdual cold damage 1d6 ⇒ 5


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Sajeek coordinates everyone to maximum efficiency, ensuring that Gwendalyn acts as a wind shield, and those with insulative fur are protecting those who left the house without the forethought of growing copious amounts body hair.

(wilderness lore: +4 to save for all)

Revery is able to stave off the effects of the chill, but only just barely (successful fort save buoyed by the wilderness lore skill).

(Sajeek, please include a fortitude save in your next post)


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Gwendalyn's heart lurches at the cry for help, and she starts to get up -- but then her head takes over. Even if she could knee and elbow all of the sharks into submission, save the stranger in time, and find another piece of flotsam to cling to, she would be abandoning the four that she already has. Four that could die without her too. Four that she already trusted, since they all worked together for their freedom from the doomed ship. Her eyes grow misty, but she sits back down and resumes her meditation.

Then two of the men suggest huddling together for warmth. Of course it would be the men, she thinks. Though the municipal baths of Halas are segregated, it's mostly so that they can talk about whatever, including the opposite sex. Well, and so that they don't have to put up with attempts at flirting, or see couples cuddling (or worse). At home, the family saunas together in the nude, so that by itself is really no big deal; but this is different.

The teenage Northerner looks at them suspiciously; but even though she just healed him, Revery of Erudin has already become confused enough from the cold to mix up her and Quinaweniel. "Hmph. Southerners. If I find out that this was some kind of trick..." She scowls and lets the icy threat hang in the frigid air, before joining the huddle in the middle of the re-purposed deck.


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Teeth chattering, Sajeek looks around at the others after pointing out the best way for them to have a chance against the cold. Well, the rest of them anyway, the giantess seemed fine with the cold.

Sajeek didn't understand why some of the others were hesitent. It was huddle together, or freeze to death. Feeling something drag at his whiskers, the vah shir looks down and sees several frozen drops of waters pulling at his whiskers. Careful not to tug his whiskers, Sajeek cleans off the fledging icicles.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 fort save


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

The huddled masses of Sajeek, Revery and Gwendalyn are all safe from the effects of chill, at least for the time being.

(future fortitude saves vs. the cold will be completed by me after Quinaweniel and Maruusk provide this roll)

It is impossible to know if the storm blocks the light, or if it is night, but your visibility is getting less and less as the storm grows more violent and the fog thickens.

The screaming stops, hopefully because the person has been saved, but more than likely it does not bode well for their longevity.


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
1 cold damage, fatigued

"To tell the truth mr.Brontide Gwendalyn was the one to heal you, and Quinaweniel, which is me is the summoner."

She would like to smile at the erudite man, but only manage to shiver as icy air pierce her flesh and bones.
"I-i-i c-c-canno-o-ot ho-hold mu-u-uch lo-o-ongerrrrr.We must do so-o-o-mething n-n-now"

The elf looks around her;she suspects everyone is esitant to cuddle against unknown people like herself,especially naked as they are,but this is no time for shyness.


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

"Please, Quinaweniel, Revery. Brontide was... another time. Now come next to me, we all need each others' warmth."

Revery waits.


Maruusk looks on, eyes dulled by pain and cold. His comrade Sajeek and Revery rightly suggest that we huddle to conserve heat. "D-don't worry G-Gwend-dalyn, we're all too t-tired for that right now..." Maruusk purrs a bit at his joke and then becomes subdued.

"W-We need to g-get out of the s-storm! D-does anyone s-see where we are?" He looks off into the storm, hoping to see or hear evidence of a bit of land or something...

Misery doesn't even come close to any word he can think of...

Fort save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

"I can't tell where we are without seeing the stars or sun, but I might be able to tell which way we're going..." The shaman from Halas puts her nose up and sniffs, licks a finger and puts it to the wind, and then cocks her head, listening intently to the waves. Sense Heading +4


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Then Gwendalyn notices Quinaweniel's hestiation. "Come now, little sister. Let me shelter you from the wind." She tries to coax the tiny magician into joining the huddle, having no idea that the high elf is more than eight times as old as her.


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

The tiny elf gladly welcomes the warm of those people bodies.
"Well, just promise none of you shall ever tell mum and dad what happened today."

does quinaweniel need to roll another save?


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Your visibility is down to perhaps 100', and no land can be seen within that distance.

Icy water flows up between deck boards with each wave that your makeshift raft rides over top of, which freezes the bloodless flesh that it comes in contact with. Salty spray and constant submersion slows the growth of ice on the boards, though the wood has become increasingly treacherous to crawl upon (balance check DC 15 to slowly crawl across).

An impossibly powerful explosion of unexpected force cracks boards and jolts the makeshift raft from below, nearly sending the closest three (1d5 ⇒ 31d4 ⇒ 11d3 ⇒ 3) into the killing waters (DC 10 reflex save).

Gwendalyn: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Quinaweniel:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Revery: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13

While Revery is able to once again surprise the group with his accumen in terms of physical challenges, the two females shift a few feet before finding proper purchase; both of Quinaweniel's feet having momentarily ended up in the water. The group works together to offer supporting arms to retrieve the duo and is able to reform its huddle. Panicked eyes quickly glance about to glean what had just transpired. Quinaweniel catches a muted flash of heat/light a split second before everyone on the raft can see what hit them, and the sight of the 29' long creature (image) does little to help each of you to remain calm.

Though the creature circles and bumps into your makeshift rudder a few times, it does not open itself to attack, and eventually disappears from sight. Either it has lost interest, or it is simply biding its time cruising out of sight.

7' by 9.5' worth of raft feels far from enough to keep you out of the gullet of such a monster.

Gwendalyn concentrates on her surroundings (DC 17 due to the storm), working to pull in as much information as possible, but the storm conspires against her and she gleans little.

Sense Heading:
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 101d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 91d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 71d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 141d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 161d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

The elements (DC 16 fort save) take their toll on the huddled masses...
Maruusk: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 (2 subdual, fatigued)
Quinaweniel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 (2 subdual, fatigued)
Revery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Sajeek: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 (1 subdual, fatigued)

Subdual damage for all: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Fatigued:
(-2 to STR and DEX, cannot run/charge and will become exhausted if doing something that would normally cause fatigue)

Gwendalyn watches the horror of the scene unfold, as the cold works to reclaim the party warmth. She is uncomfortable, but it is simply another challenge in a lifetime of physical discomfort, while the others are likely to freeze to death in due course. She will need to be extremely tactical in the application of her healing magics, constantly meditating for the next spell, if there is any chance of the others surviving this.

Either the storm is waning, perhaps it was summoned by Faydedar as part of the dragon's attack, or you are getting acclimatized to screaming winds and bleak darkness.

(please include an updated hit point total, including any conditions you might be experiencing in your next post)


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Sajeek looks over at his fellow Var Shir and grins faintly.

"I-I-I know e-e-exactly where we a-a-are. The m-m-middle of the o-o-ocean," Sajeek speaks in the Vah Shir's native tongue, his grin turning into a long yawn. The young Beastlord shakes his head in a futile attempt to chase away the fatigue that had begun to fog his thoughts.

"J-j-just kidding. I-I-I don't know w-w-were we are," Sajeek says in the common tongue. A deep frown tugs at the short muzzle of the vah shir's face. "I-I-I can't remember h-h-how I ended u-u-up on that damned s-s-sship." Sajeek's frown melts into a fierce scowl.

Looking out in the storm, his green eyes stare blankly at the crashing waves, lit by eruptions of lightning tearing through the black clouds. The deafening, bone shaking crack of the thunder made the screaming wind and roaring waves seem quiet.

When their tiny raft had been suddenly struck, Sajeek let out a surprised, and rather undignified yelp, and dug his claws into the wood of the raft. He stayed like that for several breathless moments. The lightning had giving him a glimse as to why the screams for help had suddenly gone silent.

Only after everyone had repositioned themselves, did Sajeek unclamp himself from the raft and slides back into the huddle. He turns his head and stares at the water were the beast had been seen last, shuddering uncontrollably.

"I m-m-may never e-e-eat f-f-fish again," Sajeek closes his eyes tightly and swallows his stomach back into it's rightful place, rather then in his throat.

Q-Q-Quinaweniel, I p-p-promise I w-w-will not say anything t-t-to your p-p-parents," Sajeek says through chattering fangs. The vah shir yawns again, shivering less, even though spray has frozen to fur.

fatigued, 9hps


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Gwendalyn had a longer period of reprieve, before the cold started to sink deeper into her tissues, but that period has elapsed and now it was the time to prove the strength of her lineage.

Cold (fort save vs. DC 16): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Though her system was unable to cope with the chill, the cold has not reached a point where it will slow her down (1 subdual damage offset by the barbarian natural resistance to cold).


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Revery looks around, buoyed by the partial warmth of others. He senses the storm might be subsiding, and that gives him some hope.

He casually asks, "Were any of you on the Liberty Blade when she was taken? I don't recognize anyone, but then I was mostly sleeping and drinking on there..."

(Fatigued, 6/6hp, 1 subdual)


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Looking over at Revery, Sajeek's ears twitch as he tries to pull something out of his hazy mess of his recent memories. The Vah Shir thinks for several minutes, a frown growing across his muzzle. Sajeek shifts the heavy chain to a more comfortable position.

"I don't r-remember being on a b-boat before waking u-up, sorry," Sajeek says with a slight shake of his head. "I don't even r-remember being anywhere near a p-port," the vah shir grumbles, ears laying flat against his skull.

fatigued; 6/10hp; 1 subdual


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Each of you have a story of where you were before you woke enslaved in the hold, but there is no common thread between you.


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Gwendalyn is shocked by the sudden jolt, fearing that Faydedar has come back to finish the job. But though the cause is not so big, their makeshift vessel is so small and frail compared to the toothy monster that they only survive by the grace of it not doing it again. Aided back into the middle of the raft by the others, Gwendalyn just can't tell which way is which in this unfamiliar ocean. She feels the brutal cold begin to settle into even her sturdy bones, and can only imagine what it's like for the smaller people from warmer climes.

At Revery's question, Gwendalyn grumbles. "I was in Freeport. I'd had fun killing gnolls and whatnot with my big brother Tudan, a warrior, and we'd worked our way south as we got better at working together. But he was starting to get on my nerves, apologizing whenever I got hit, as if I couldn't take care of myself. So I suggested that he go work on his fletching, and I could get some tailoring done with some wolf hides I'd collected. But I actually went to have a few drinks, like I normally do when I'm pissed off. (The drinking age in Halas is when you can handle it without crying or starting a fight when a drunk jostles you out of the way or says something mean.) That's the last thing I remember."

Current Status
hp 5/9, mana 2/6, subdual 0


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

Status HP 4/4 Sub 3/4

Terror of that giant mouth filled with teeth infuses new strenght in Quinaweniel's legs, and she jumps back in the middle of the raft and the other fugitives.
"Thanks a lot Sajeek, but i seriously doubt you'll ever see my parents,an me neither probably."

After Gwendalyn's speech,the elf begins her tale "I was in Freeport too,following a diplomatic mission, but i was just an assistant to a senator from Felwithe.One day i heard two weird people talking behind one of many libraries in a hall,probably they hadn't see me;anyhow i was going to leave when they started to talk of replacing an important person in the city government,maybe even murdering him."

"Unsure if those people were joking or speaking seriously,i ran to one of the senators i was an assistant for.....but it was the wrong one apparently.The last thing i remember after i spoke with him is a heavy blow to the back of my head,and here i'm."


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Hearing the stories of others, Revery realizes how different his life had been from theirs. Killing Gnolls? He shakes his head in disbelief. His life had been about studying, and learning the ways of magic. The most "practical" thing he had done was to work as a Jeweler's apprentice.

He shivers, as much from fear as from the cold, he guesses. He wonders, and almost asks but doesn't, whether they will die of 1) exposure outside the water, 2) hypothermia in the water, 3) sharks teeth severing the spine (or worse, 4) all the limbs), 5) dehydration (oh the irony), 6) starvation, or 7) pirate or slaver attack. It doesn't seem fair, he thinks, considering his intellect, which, even in Erudin, is far above the average. Then again, perhaps he deserves it, considering.

Feeling the shackes chafe his skin, he figures it's time to be free of them. "Who would like my shackles? Perhaps they could be used as a weapon against a shark, or an eeevil mermaid."

Getting to his knees, he begins a short incantation and waves his arms around, casting a Minor Illusion.

Spell:

Channeling, if necessary, to cast the spell:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

(Mana: 12/14)

If successful, he briefly turns into a shackle and then back into an Erudite.


Maruusk shivers trying to protect the females from the cold seems to a universal truth. He did not get a good glimpse of the creature, be he saw enough to know what his nightmares would contain...

The battering he takes drives him into the deck a few time, and he slips into unconsciousness

(Fatigued, 5/9 hp, 5 subdual)


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

It is deep in the heart of night that you find yourself as the storm continues to subside, firstly packing up its lightning, thunder and the ominous oppression of its cloud toys. After a failed pleading to its mother for "Just 5 more minutes to play", the winds quickly retreat from nigh-hurricane to something much more manageable. The thick fog simply melts into the sea as if it was never there, much like a dwarf's hairline.

The darkness swallows up your surroundings and rudely steals any glimpse of the view.

You are left with the playful waves, casually nudging you like a dog seeking an ear scratch, and the distant light of the stars. It would be a peaceful scene, fashioned specifically for lovers, if not for the nudity, exposure, fear of being cast out to sea, hunger, thirst, constant threat of drowning, and the predators of the deep waiting to sup on your tender flesh.

Speaking of the shark, the creature had caused a great deal of damage, and though the raft remains together the violence of each wave causes it to shift and creak. Just another worry to add to your mounting list that would be hard pressed to fit on an 8' long scroll written in a mouse's handwriting.

Quin had witnessed something during the failed breaching, illuminated by the cold-blooded shark's meagre light. There was something amorphous attached to the trailing edge of your makeshift rudder, which explains why this raft is so stable: You are dragging a section of the sails along with you. It trails below, like a cape billowing the winds, tangled up in the section of railing by its rigging. It is perhaps as far as 4' below the waterline, and as luck would have it, near the centre of the raft. Who knows how long it will remain in place.

The seas are much easier to swim in (swimming DC 15, take into account the negative to STR from fatigue), just ask the shark if it is still around.

The icy decking can be navigated with greater skill (DC 12 balance check, take into account the negative to DEX from fatigue) now that the waves are much less voracious) and the same situation makes spells easier to cast (channeling DC 10+spell level) since the number of distractions are far less than it was just moments ago.

Revery becomes a set of shackles (successful channeling check vs. DC 15) providing the others an opportunity to fish the other shackles through the loop and free the enchanters. As he returns to his form he understands how much trust was involved in the action, for he was placing his life literally in the other's hands. The enchanter is the only one free of the shackles and one of you has a makeshift weapon in the chain.

Maruusk is tired, like everyone save Gwen and Revery, but no where near unconsciousness (2 subdual damage received).

Gwendalyn is able to glean much more in terms of the group's heading (sense heading DC 15) using the stars to guide her (1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17) and can locate north. She is confident that they are in the Timorous Deep, but that is a lot like saying, "Near Antonica", considering the breadth of that ocean.

Another period of time (10 minutes) has passed you by, permitting the cold to seep further into your frosty core (DC 17 fortitude save).

Maruusk: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 (4 subdual damage, fatigued)
Quinaweniel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 (1 subdual damage, fatigued)
Revery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 (2 subdual damage, fatigued)
Sajeek: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 (1 subdual damage, fatigued)
Gwendalyn: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 (0 subdual damage)

Subdual Damage (for all that failed their roll): 1d5 ⇒ 2

Quinaweniel had found a sweet spot to warmth to offset the chill, helping her to stave off freezing to death for a bit longer (critical success, 1 subdual damage healed).


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Revery is subdued, cold and shivering more now. Upon being informed of the sail below them, Revery thinks for a fifth of a second and then another fifth, and then says, "That sail might be able to provide us some shelter, if we can retrieve it and dry it off. As a tent, or a blanket perhaps. Plus, it is likely to have some ropes attached, which may be quite useful... Nobody has any magical light, I guess? My night vision is quite poor, I understand, even compared to most humans. We Erudites tend to have lights everywhere and I guess that has made our eyes weak in that regard.

I was going to suggest we do that in the morning, but it would likely be best if we can do it sooner.

Can anyone see any flotsam? If we can gather more wood, our raft has a better chance of keeping us afloat.

Oh, and before anyone does anything strenuous, let me know and I can do a trick to make you stronger for a short while."

(Fatigued, 6/6 hp, 2 subdual, mana: 12/14)


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

The only flotsam is you.

Your view consists of each other's naked flesh, a raft, and endless waves lit by the meagre starlight.


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Listening to the others remember what had brought them to the slave ship. His eyes light momentarily as his foggy memory clears.

"I guess I was somewhat close to a port after all. Qeynos. I was scouring the Plains of Karana looking for trace of my foster parents. I remembering seeing a caravan in the distance one night, and then waking on the ship," Sajeek says with a yawn.

At the sight of Revery changing himself into a link of shackles, Sajeek's lips peel back and he hisses. Realizing that some type of magic had just happened, he lays his ears back and his eyes widen as he watched.

"Wow," was all the vah shir could manage. Sajeek blinks a few times. "That was neat trick. I'm guessing that won't work for the rest of us, well it?"

Looking back over the almost playful waves, Sajeek squints looking into the darkness.

"I don't see any other wreakage, anybody see anything?" Sajeek asks.


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

"Sorry, I am unable to do that for any but myself.

What about that sail? Are any of you good swimmers?" asks Revery.


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

If she can with repeated attemps,therefore without the need for the chann.check,Quinaweniel would try to cast Minor Shielding (+2 HP,*2 AC, lasts 10 minutes, caster only)

Spot check:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

"I can see in the dark pretty well usually, but now i only see ourselves,as for swimming,i knew some bricks more skilled then me."


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Quinaweniel (channeling 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 vs. DC 16) is able to buff herself against harm, the visual manifestation of which is a translucent golden shield that hovers in front of her chest momentarily before disappearing from sight.


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Revery tries hard not to look at Quinaweniel's glowing chest.


Maruusk stares as magic is wielded to free Revery, and he admires Gwen's charms while her shield displays them. Being shy or bothered by nudity is not something that really occurs to the vah shir.

"The sail as shelter is a great idea. Once we're dry, it might be able to be fashioned into a useful sail, especially f we can rig some kind of mast..."

He looks out to sea, "I see nothing that could be helpful."

Looking sheepishly at everyone, he says, "I am afraid I never really learned to swim... And with these manacles, I'd be more likely to sink than to make any headway."


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Gwendalyn marvels with Sajeek as Revery turns himself into a manacle and chain so that his own can be removed. "Wow indeed, that was... really clever. And kind of weird." The conversation turns to the piece of sail that Quin saw beneath them, and the Halasite shrugs.

"The shackle would make it harder, but I'm a fair swimmer otherwise; I've swum Halas Lake more than twice. I don't like taking away something that's helping keep the raft steady, but you all don't look so well... and I guess that our stability won't matter if we freeze to death. I'd be game for going down to get it."


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

After the casting,Quina notices what the vah shir and erudite are staring at and blushes a bit.
She crosses her arms to cover her bosom,then clears her throat.
<HAEM>
"Even in this situation i'ld appreciate a little bit of chivalry. Using that sail seems to be the most logical thing to do,but the raft will be weakened.Anyway i cannot help in retrieving it i'm afraid so it is up to you."


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

"Worry not, I assure you I value your intellect far more than any physical characteristics you may have," says Revery.

Shaking from the cold, he turns to Gwendalyn and says, "I shall increase your physical strength by a small margin; it may help you in your task. But if the sail is bouying the raft rather than pulling it down, I wouldn't remove it. If you do decide to remove it, your shackle or mine may serve as a crude knife or hammer."

When she is ready he casts Strenghthen on Gwendalyn.

Spoiler:

Channel check:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
mana 10/14


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Strengthen:
+3 bonus to Strength for ten minutes


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

"I can help a bit as well," Sajeek says with a nod. "I'm okay at swimming. If anything I can distract the big for a second or two." The vah shir grins. "I need to start moving. I'm hoping my help will be more gathering the sail then feeding a shark."

Sajeek carefully gets up to offer his aid to Gwendalyn. He glances back at Quinaweniel and smiles.

"I wouldn't worry about anything Quinaweniel. I'm certain your new big sister will keep everybody in check." The vah shir chuckles warmly.

swim check:1d20 ⇒ 3


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Swim (with Strengthen): 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 1 = 16

"Thank you, Revery." Gwendalyn stands up, starts to turn away, and hesitates. "I can cast one more healing spell before I go down, and Maruusk looks near to succumbing to the cold... but perhaps I should save it in case I get attacked?" She bites her lip thinking, and shrugs. "If I expect to not come back, then I shouldn't go down; so if I go down, then I should assume I'm coming back up, and save it for if something worse happens." Satisfied with her reasoning, she makes her way to the edge of the raft and slips into the water.

Current Status
5/9 hp, 2/6 mana, 0 subdual
Swimming


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Navigating the slippery decking is a challenge, but the worry had always been to do so without falling in. Eliminate that threat and the waves conspire to have Sajeek and Gwendalyn come frolic within their icy embrace.

413 pounds of meat lies in the centre of the pathetic "ship" as 383 pounds of flesh move to the edge, which upsets the raft's balance, inviting the others to come join them.

Reflex Save (DC 12):
Quin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 (fail)
Revery: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 (fail)
Maruusk: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 (fail)

Everyone gathers at the same edge for a moment, another way of expressing that is that everyone "slides screaming to the same edge", before the entire group is tossed into the black. 7' by 9.5' worth of raft lists, then cants akimbo, permitting the bit of railing and sail to come partially out of the water before the section of the decking slams back down into the position it was in before.

You are in the water, the realm of the shark, and suffice to say that you are not huddling together for warmth (no bonus from wilderness lore applied to the next check vs. the cold).

The animal part of your brain is a tad put out by this chain of events and kindly suggests that the seas might be less safe than spending the night with cold sore festooned halfling hookers in Riverdale.

Sajeek (failed swim check) provides Gwendalyn (successful swim check) with something to do before she considers other things, and it only takes a few seconds to fish the kitty out of the depths and bring him to the raft's edge (no swimming check required for those that hold onto the raft) where the others cling to.

It makes one wonder if people are just seeking out opportunities to rub up against each other.

An immense black fin, made impossibly large from the vantage point of water level, appears in the distance. It is closing at a rate of speed that will only give you a short bit of time (4 rounds) before the seas run red.


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Sputtering and cursing, Sajeek turns to thank Gwendalyn, as he attempts to tread water, held by the scruff of the neck. The vah shir sees everyone else in the water and the raft half flipped in the ocean.

Sajeek was about to ask what had happened when his eyes grow as large as dinner plates and his jaw drops. The sight of the black fin cutting the surface of the ocean had an amazing effect on the young Beastlord. Forgetting he was chilled to the bone, more tired and sore then he had ever been in his life, Sajeek splashes franticly as he attempts to run and swim at the same time.

Claws sinking into the wooden flesh of the raft, Sajeek attempts to get to the top of the capsized remains of their mighty vessel. Far away from the nasty teeth of the sharks maw.
climb check1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Revery gives a shout as he slides off the makeshift raft. He is about to scold the swimmers for tipping it, but then he notices everyone scrambling to get back aboard, and realizes there is some danger he may not have seen. Avoiding getting up at the same side everyone else is, he swims to the other side and tries to climb up.

rolls:

Swim check, Climb check (-2 STR penalty applied)
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 21d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Initiative
- Shark
- Group

The fin slips lower beneath the surface, leaving just a tip to mark its progress, as it cruises towards its next meal.

Sajeek works to climb back up (DC 10 climb check), but fails to find purchase on the raft (no progress) that was momentarily partially upended, but has returned to its original position. Even his momentary weight on the side upends the other side a few inches. It was lucky everyone approached the raft from different sides initially.

Revery would be best to keep hold of the raft (no swim check required) and work his way around that way. Swimming is not his forte, which is proved as he goes under momentarily and then catches himself and resurfaces (no progress).

Maruusk had caught a glimpse of a makeshift mast in the form of the railing.


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

As he sees others climbing up, Revery says to them, "Move to the opposite side to balance the raft!"


Barbarian Shaman (Luminary Gwendalyn Shaughnessy the Giant Slayer)

Knowledge (nature) to identify the sea monster: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Gwendalyn briefly considers going after the sail anyway, until she realizes that with as bad as the others are starting to look, some could succumb to the cold before they even got back on the raft. And then they'd be food. "@#$%!"

"Maruusk, I'll go to one side, you the other, and then we'll try to climb up at the same time. Quin, you're so light, try whenever."

Climb:
With Strengthen: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Marist coughs, the cold water stealing what meager warmth he was able to hoard from the others. Holding the edge of the raft, he gets his bearings. Apparently the Ancestors and the Spirits truly wished to torture him, for there, coming like awesome death, was the beast's fin. Ominous. A promise of death made flesh. Maruusk hears Gwen's comments, and nods, "Y-yes, w-we n-need to b-balance the raft! D-death comes!"

Climb: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Fear propels Maruusk onto the raft. "We can use the railing on the raft as a mast, if we flip the raft. But we need to live through this..."


Female Koada' Dal (High elf) Magician 1

Quinaweniel char sheet

Climb check:
1d20 - 3 ⇒ (16) - 3 = 13

As soon as she fell back in the water,Quina begun agitating frantically,not knowing that this is the best way to go under.Luckily for her, she was still near the raft and her hands find the wood almost immediately.
She manages to return in control of her mind and body and navigate along the boards until she is balancing the raft with Revery and Maruusk, then she climbs back aboard.

<while coughing>
"Next time i overhear a conversation, i swear i'll mind my own business"


Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress

Gwendalyn scours the corners of her memory until she finds something that fits the attributes that have been observed. What is stalking you is called a frenzied cauldron shark; a ridiculously aggressive ocean predator known to doggedly pursue ships for hundreds of miles. It will never stop unless it is put down, you escape to land, or it is drawn off by more sumptuous prey.

Revery and Gwendalyn set themselves to a tactical balancing (1 turn to move into position), sliding around the makeshift sea vessel and hoping that whatever just brushed up against their feet is not hungry. Those that slide to get to the other side of the small vessel are placed in a precarious position, for their efforts will keep the ship from flipping, but to do so they will use valuable time and need to move closer to their approaching predator and at least momentarily turn their backs on the primordial killing machine.

Maruusk, the heaviest member of the motley crew, clambers onto the raft with ease along with Quinaweniel, the lightest member, and quickly sees that his plan is going to go ahead with or without his leave, for there is none present to counter his mass. The "ship" starts to flip, but this time it is purposefully maintained.

Both rogue and magician are tossed back into the seas, but their vessel has been flipped.

Momentarily everyone is forced to swim, but the raft is back quick enough to stop anyone from going under.

Now that time has been taken to coordinate movements, everyone is in position to clamber back aboard together, with the advantage of sails, rigging and a partial railing to assist their progress (climb check DC 5).

The ship's 4' tall railing runs along the entire length of the 9.5' edge. Its boards are loose and can be prised free to make impromptu clubs. The rest of the craft has ragged edges, as they appear to have been ripped free of the ship you traveled on. Caught up by a loose rail board is the 45' x 61' sail made of tough thick-threaded wool and rigged by several hundred feet of hemp rope.

While much more tippy on this side, the rail provides a bit of protection from the elements.

(end of round)
(start new round)

Water sprays as the shark speeds its pursuit. Its fin disappears 'neath the waves and there is no way to track its progress.

(tag PC round 2 actions)


Vah Shir Beastlord and Bast Kejek Tiger

Sajeek scrambles to get out of the freezing waters and on the realitive safety of the broken remains of a slaver vessal. This was shaping up to be a rather quick end to their short lived freedom. It was as if the escape from drowning had served only to give them a sense of false hope.

The Vah Shir curses heat the frigid air as he attempts to get back onto the flimsy bit of debris that managed to hold together in the shape of the raft. The range of foulness that flies from his mouth seemed aimed at whatever gods or spirits where in charge of fates.

Finishing his cursing with a verbal declaration that said god or spirit could slowly drown in a barrel of demon's filth, Sajeek attempts to pull himself onto the raft with out tipping it. Again. Even as angry and terrified as Sajeek was, his body was still moving about as fast a a partially frozen corpse.

climb check: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2


Revery (Erudite Enchanter) in somnis veritas // Kspress (Iksar Monk) Your pain is the breaking of your shell.

Concerned about the shark and also about the cold water (though less so), Revery tries to get a foot up on the broken vessel while maintaining its balance with the others.

Climb:
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13

All the while, his mind is trying to go through its catalog of creatures and figure out what this is, and if there's a way to make it go away, or better yet, sacrifice its life so that they may eat. It's not as if he's planning or optimizing the use of his intellect - he can't stop himself from analyzing the situation between the (currently deafening) beats of his heart.

Knowledge/nature:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

(fatigued, 6/6 hp, 2 subdual, 10/14 mana)

51 to 100 of 2,605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Torture Chamber (Everquest RPG PBP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.