Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket (Inactive)

Game Master voodoo chili

In 4121 AR, the desert dwarves of the Barrier Wall Mountains sealed the famed Tar-Urkatha mine abruptly, saying only that one of the richest platinum mines in history had played out. Nearly six centuries later, the truth rises from the darkness.


801 to 850 of 4,080 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Straightening and withdrawing back to Daeron's side, Chitleen adds "The incense was found in the room where it is thought the assassin resided. Perhaps it was a means for him to see where he could not in person?"


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

"If I get my hands on 'im,he won't be needin' incense to get there."


Chitleen Shudra wrote:
" Perhaps it was a means for him to see where he could not in person?"

"Or to be where he should not be," Menthis Talp continues. "With the gates guarded by paladins ever on the watch for evil, it would be quite useful for an assassin to travel through walls like a ghost totally unseen. The only problem is that the victim would be equally unaccessable if he remained on the material plane unless the assassin could likewise ensure the victim was lost on the ethereal plane and beyond assistance..."


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Brow furrowing in thought Chitleen has a lightbulb moment "Sahib, we may have solved the mystery of the sudden appearance of our breakfast guest. A man appeared as though from no-where, to crash unto our table. Mayhap he was under the effect of the incense and its cessation was unforseen by our red-robed assassin?" saying both as a question and also rhetorically.


The curator stabs a finger into the air, "Ah-ha! That sounds like a quite probable scenario. The victim was forced or somehow unwittingly imbibed the incense. He was murdered on the ethereal plane and rematerialized as the incense wore off or possibly as he bled it out. How was he killed?"


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Amidst the blood and gore, there was marked presence of bite marks on the dead body. Alas we did not manage to closely examine the corpse at the time as our attentions turned to apprehending the one thought responsible.

Daeron looks thoughtfully before saying.

If one would wish to replicate such a feat of homicide, it would mean guards and sentries would hinder little to a determined killer, is it not so?


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

"Indeed, it would seem a clean way to kill... Sahib, you say that the incense must be burnt or ingested?" waiting for confirmation before adding "Then is should be possible to defend against it's usage if we prevent the target from partaking... or perhaps a trap could be set?" passing his gaze across their stout and tattooed companion for a moment.


Daeron Gwadestael wrote:
\If one would wish to replicate such a feat of homicide, it would mean guards and sentries would hinder little to a determined killer, is it not so?

"Indeed," Menthis agrees. "The assassin could strike with impunity once his victim is lured to the ethereal plane. The smoke of the yamuun must be inhaled to be effective, but only one who does not breathe would be immune."


Surak- give me a diplomacy check to gather info.


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

"What do you have goin' through your devious elf brain, pointy ears?"


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen shows mock offence before giving a grin as wide as a merchant who just sold sand to an Osiriani "Why it is simple... the assassin is expecting to slay his target after they seep into the ethereal realm. What we need do is be present when he does so - so that rather than a defenseless aristocrat, the assassin will instead face a menagerie of capable dwarves, half-orc and elves"


" An unarmed menagerie of capable dwarves, half-orc and elves. The incense will not transport your weapons and equipment with you. I believe that approach will be quite risky and who knows where or when they will make another attempt," Menthis interjects.


Dwarf Cleric 2

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Surak spends an hour or so interviewing what, in hindsight, turns out to be a rose bush.


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

"I'll rip 'is face off with with my bare hands if needs be." says the dwarf with a fierce smile upon his tattooed face.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Another option would be to track down the remaining sticks of Ghost's Breath. Because of its rarity, I would believe its amounts would be countable with the fingers of one hand. We would not only strike before the blade has swung, we would also find out the organization responsible. As a matter of precaution, the individual needing protection would be tied to this realm via use of anchoring spells, thus preventing them from entering the astral realm.

Wearing a sad smile, Daeron adds.

I am far from able to perform such of the arcane feats needed to carry out such magical wonders. Perhaps it is time to proceed on with research regarding the phrase I mention earlier Master Menthis, I would hoped you would be able to shed light with regards to its meaning, else me and my colleagues here would spend the night combing the archive for clues.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

To the curator "Sahib, my father is a purveyor of ittar and as such I have developed a keen nose for scents. Given that the Yamuun has a pungent odor I would believe that I might be able to smell it out were it to already have been placed where the Sharif might go. Likely the assassin would not be so foolish to have planted the Yamuun already - but I believe it would be wise to be circumspect in this instance." at this point Chitleeen pauses to lick his lips and mull over delicate words before continuing "The crux of the digression is to ask if it would be possible for you to pen words to support what you have disclosed to us tonight and also lend them the legitimacy of your signet? I fear that without the trusted words of a peer of Solku to support us... we might merely be seen as how we elvish say le fous"

les fous = crazy people


The curator adjusts his glasses and gives a small smile at the dwarf's outburst, "That may be, my muscular friend, but a little preparation goes a long way. I would not enter the ethereal realm blind to what my foe is exactly."

He nods at Daeron's assessment, "I perhaps have the capability for such spells, but sadly have not learned them. As for that bit of doggerel, I'm not sure I follow. It mentions an unseen hound, obviously the ethereal assassin, but is the hound a beast sent to track the victim or the name of the assassin? You mentioned bite marks so I favor the former possibility. As for 'smoke of the Thuvian Tomb', I cannot say. The smoke most likely refers to the incense, but was it found in a Thuvian Tomb? I do not believe the incense is endemic to Thuvia. It is yet unclear what the connection is."

He smiles at Chitleen, "I believe the Sharif can easily be deterred from burning incense until this mystery is solved. I doubt even my good word would grant you access at this point, however. I find it odd that a relatively minor advisor was the one murdered, perhaps some sort of mistake occurred or possibly the vizier was more important than is evident."


Surak finds the residents of the hovels and farms down be the river to have either gone into town for the evening's festivities or not interested in talking to a strange dwarf wandering around in the night.

Disappointed with another dead end, he returns to the Breakstride not noticing that he has gained a tail. Surak- DC 29 perception- but go ahead and give it a roll anyway.


Dwarf Cleric 2

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Surak hums to himself as he returns, hoping his allies have fared better.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen accepts the curator's reasoning adding "As you wish sahib, may I at least take the liberty of assuming you would verify our tale if any skeptic official were directed towards you?"

To his companions "Have we more questions for our obliging host, or shall we return to the Breakstride to confer?"


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

"I said my peace."


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

I would have enjoyed spending my time here, pouring over the mounds of archival knowledge here, but alas time is of the supreme. We started on the wrong foot but I hope when we part it would be on amicable terms as I have the utmost respects for scholars and the treasurer of knowledge.

Daeron gives a respectful bow when the time for the group to leave arrives.


Menthis bows to Chitleen's request, "Certainly, and I will continue to research all the questions you have put to me. Stop by if you turn up anything else and I hope I may be of more assistance."
Leaving the quiet halls of the Archive, you return to the noisy streets of Solku. The sounds of horns and drumming echo off the hillsides as you circle the town center and exit the River Gate.

Outside the walls, the noise and crowds fall away abruptly and you are almost alone as you approach the Breakstride where you see a familiar figure nearing the entrance.

Surak:
As you approach the Breakstride you see two heavily robed figures at the door, but you are distracted by a yip behind you and turn to find a small dog running toward you. DC 12 Will or sleep (passed SR).


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Chitleen smiles warmly and delivers a return bow that dips deeper than the one proffered to him "Indeed Sahib, I will ensure that any further impositions are at a more suitable hour"

Chitleen thinks but does not speak as they walk back to the Breakstride. Turning events over in his mind complete with what they know and what the assassins may possibly attempt.


Dwarf Cleric 2

Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Feeling the spell wash over him but resisting the effects, Surak turns, and his angry glare lands on the robed figures, the only obvious attackers. Setting his jaw, he points at the closer attacker. "You will regret that!" His voice takes on an unnatural strength as he proclaims, "Kill your friend instead!"

Cast murderous command. dc14 will save.

He then moves to within charging distance of the two, drawing his sword.


Initiative rolls:

Chitleen 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Tarrar 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Daeron 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Surak 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
two and a half strangers 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Round 1
Daeron
Strangers
Surak
Chitleen
Tarrar
**Shirish- can't fail to hear the noise outside

Daeron, Chitleen, Tarrar about 70 ft from action

Surak shakes the enchantment, but before he can act the figures close drawing battle axes from beneath their robes and the small dog, now seen to be a wild jackal, nips at his heels. attack misses

More concerned about the hooded figures, Surak steps aside and casts his spell. Suddenly one of the strangers turns on its ally with his battle axe. The surprised man staggers from the blow, but doesn't seem particularly hurt. The movement knocks the hood aside, however and darkvision reveals a dog-like head.

A little out of order for flow-need Daeron, Chitleen, Tarrar to finish round.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 1:

Chitleen sees the disturbance begin and although is unable to see much detail, knows that Surak is in trouble. Drawing his talwar as he hustles forward, he surveys the battlefield...

Double move up to get ~15ft from the nearest foe.
Is it 20% miss chance for those with only low-light vision?


The waning moon has yet to rise and with no ambient light, Chitleen and Daeron can only make out tall bulky forms engaging Surak in the dark street.

yes, 20% miss without darkvision


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Daeron looking at the dicey situation runs towards the dwarf fighting for his life. He pauses about 20 feet from the nearest hooded figures before raising his hands calling in arcane energies, forming an invisible cloak of force.

Run to Surak, Casts Mage Armor


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

The sight of another dwarf being attacked gets Tararr into the action quick. Moving with speed not seen in dwarves, Tararr covers the ground just as fast as his elven friends. Pulliing up next to Surak with Uragosh in hand, he says, "Let's have some fun."

Move as close to Surak as possible and draw weapon on the way.


Shirish moves outside, rumbling to whatever patrons and staff may be in her path that they should find a way to safety.


The others rush to the front of the inn where Surak is surrounded just as Shirish bursts through the front door spilling light on to the scene. Everyone can clearly see that the attackers are a pair of tall figures in ragged maroon robes. One is hooded and the other's hood has fallen back revealing a dog-like head. A small feral dog is harassing Surak from behind.

Know nature DC 7:
The dog is a jackal and the humanoid's head resembles it.

Round 2
Daeron
Strangers
Surak
Chitleen
Shirish 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Tarrar

map
Shirish @ D-7


Shirish kn. Nature 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

"A jackal?" Shirish grumbles and frowns.

Spent a move action opening the door, so would say that she needs to spend more to draw her weapons and engage next round, no?


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Tattooed dwarf! Let my magic aid you, its effect would make your vengeance much to be feared.

Daeron concentrates and directs his casting of Enlarge Person wash over Tararr Trollspiltter.

Nature Knowledge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

It has Daeron puzzled to see walking jackals about and he suspects them to be so much more.


Shirish- sounds good.

Daeron:
Since the jackals were identified, i'll use your roll for a know arcane- and the humanoid is indeed a jackalwere, a supernatural jackal that can take human form to spread evil. Unlike the lycanthropes they resemble, they are harmed by cold iron rather than silver.

There is a moment of confusion about the axe in the back, but the strangers quickly realize Surak was the real culprit and they dog pile the dwarf. The jackal continues to harry, but its weak jaws cause no real harm. The same cannot be said of the dog man. A powerful axe stroke knocks Surak's head back and the creature lunges forward to bite through beard and throat. Surak-10 hp slash, crit-13 hp bite.

The hooded figure throws back its hood to reveal another dog headed man. It glares at the rapidly growing Tarrar. Tarrar- DC 12 will save or sleep.

Round 2 cont.
Surak
Chitleen
Shirish
Tarrar
-3-
Daeron
Strangers


Dwarf Cleric 2

I'm down to -1 if those are both hits. What did the slash hit to? I'm at ac19. I would assume the crit hit. :)


Surak Kekmor wrote:
I'm down to -1 if those are both hits. What did the slash hit to? I'm at ac19. I would assume the crit hit. :)

axe hit AC 19 on the dot with flanking bonus. bite was a nat 20 and follow up AC 23. near max damage rolls, too. sorry about that.


Shirish raises her longsword as part of a move action to F4, and attacks the jackal thing that just brought down the dwarven priest.

Shirish Longsword attack1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 if she hits the creature, she will deal 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 damage.
blech on that attack roll, sorry Surak.


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

Will +2 for Hardy vs. Spells 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Shrugging off the magic of the mongrol beastmen, the now massive enraged dwarf lays into the nearest attacker. With a roar that shakes the earth the warrager throws himself into the fray with no regard for his safety. All that matters is making the beast pay for spilling dwarven blood. "WARRAGGHHHHHHAARRRGHHHH!"

5' step to G3 attack dual weapon
Axe head 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17DMG2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 3) + 6 = 11
Spear head 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23DMG1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

Death shall come quick for those who stand before the fury that is Tararr, lol. AC 14 hp 26 Rage 9/10


Dwarf Cleric 2

Surak collapses in a dying heap, the two lucky attacks overwhelming his defenses completely.

Con check: 1d20 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 - 1 = 4 failed to stabilize


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 2: AC 13 (no armor), HP 15/15

Chitleen moves lithely forward to close with the enemy before sending his talwar forth in an attacking arc...
Talwar: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Move to E,4 (not a charge), and attack top jackalwere


Surak falls before the onslaught and Chitleen speedily closes with the top dog. His talwar hits the man-beast, but is deflected by leather armor beneath the wooly robes. Shaking off the enchantment, Shirish goes after the bloody fanged dog-man, but it dodges her powerful blow.

Tarrar, now at a most undwarflike height, rumbles forward and unleashes the power of his urgrosh upon the offending stranger. The blows would have handily slain your average gnoll, but this jackal-headed creature seems supernaturally resistant to good dwarven steel.

Round 3- Daeron up.


Male Elf Wizard 3 (Transmuter-Enhancement) / AC13->17(mage armor) / HP23->full

Your blows would be more telling had they been made of cold steel, for the creatures we are against are jackalweres.

Daeron cuts shorts his speech as he prepares another spell, slipping his hand on some buttery paste from his pouch.

Assessing the situation from the back, Daeron focuses on hindering the jackalweres.

Casts Grease focus 10ft square on area with most effect, hitting the unconscious Surak would be of little consequence.


cold iron actually, but you get the idea

The robed jackalweres fall hard on the suddenly slick dirt lane. (pair of ones) Their four legged companion circles the towering dwarf at a safe distance its malevolent gaze focused on its enemy. Tarrar-DC 12 Will save or sleep. It's a supernatural ability not spell-like ability.

The fallen jackalweres are tangled in their robes and unable to stand for the moment, glower at the closest opponent with their somnolent gaze Shirish- DC 12 Will or sleep, Chitleen is immune.

Round 3 cont.
Surak-dying
Chitleen
Shirish
Tarrar
-4-
Daeron
Jackalweres

map.


Shirish raises her shield to defend against such savage attacks as Surak received, but does not as of yet use it to attack.

Shirish Will Save DC 12 vs. Sleep 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Shirish Longsword attack vs. Baddie at E4 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24, if she hits she will deal 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage to her foe.


Dwarf Cleric 2

Constitution check: 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 1 - 2 = 2

Surak bleeds some more.


Male Dwarf 5 Bar Invulnerable Rager :AC 17/15raging, hp 62 (5d12+10) Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2; DR 2/4non

Will 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

A blast of mind numbing power assualts the giant dwarf, but his rage carries him through. Wild with anger Tararr again lays into the beast with all his might.

Urgrosh A 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 4) + 6 = 13
Urgrosh B 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Edit: Suck...


Tararr Trollspiltter wrote:
Edit: Suck...

well, the good news is that they are standing up this round so take your AoOs now and add +4 to hit against a prone opponent.


Male Elf Alchemist (Crypt Breaker) 5

Round 3: AC 13 (no armor), HP 15/15

Muttering a curse to unnamed gods that his blade was turned, Chitleen presses the assault against the fallen jackalwere - hoping for a lucky blow to split it's defenses...

Longsword vs Prone (top one): 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 4 = 20 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

801 to 850 of 4,080 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Hungry Voodoo's Mines of Zolurket All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.