Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

For use new at this: Hollow's Last Hope

Game Master CaptMadJaq


1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's time to make camp. The sun is down and the world cools with the darkening sky. To the North, by six hours, is the great River Foam, with a ferry that will take you to the port town of Falcon's Hollow. From the West, dark on the horizon, a storm front looms like a mountain range, high and awesome. Lightning flickers and decorates the thunderheads with multitudes of color, and thunder rumbles steadily like drums.

Survival Check please. A storm is coming...

Spoiler:

You've been traveling together, and feel free to enter however you'd like. Be descriptive and creative. Also, in a spoiler tag, feel free to describe your characters' appearance.


Male Human Druid 1

Survival check 14+9 = 23

From the crest of the hill Gill glances occasionally at the growing storm clouds to the West, while gently stroking the soft feathers of the dappled brown owl perched on his left shoulder.

"It's approaching so quickly? You are sure of this?" The bird swivels as if to check for itself, then looks the man in the eye and trills. "Then you best be on your way, old friend. I'll try to keep these two from the worst of it, and I'll find you in Falcon's Hollow tomorrow." The bird takes flight, heading silently North, its departure signaled by a single shrill call. "No, I have no idea if there are really any falcons there, but just be a good girl and try not to create any trouble with the locals!"

Gill shakes his head, and grins. He looks down the slope to his two companions. It does look like a hell of a storm. I better make sure these two don't end up caught in the open...

Spoiler:

Walking at just shy of 6 feet in height, with tanned skin and air hair, Gill Baverly is a male human in excellent physical shape, muscular yet not overly heavy, and seemingly aged somewhere in his mid-30s. He wears nondescript leather clothing and carries a backpack and number of spears cut by his own hand.


"Well, looks like we are in agreement about that storm." smiles Hadassah, her eyes betraying her bravado. Persephone glides up next to Hadassah. "You are much better than I have ever been when it comes to things like this," Hadassah whispers to Persephone.

Persephone smiles at Hadassah and laughs, "Like you have to remind me, come on, lets find someplace to hunker down for this one."

Hadassah whispers a quick prayer to Desna, casting Guidance on Persephone and begins helping Persephone locate a suitable spot to ride out the storm.

1d20 ⇒ 8 +1 Aid Another, +1 Guidance = 10.

Spoiler:

Hadassah Rabunrot is slightly shorter than your average halfling, standing four inches shy of three feet tall. Her long white hair is kept tied back in a relaxed pony tail. Her large, wide set green eyes sparkle with mischief, most noticeably when speaking to her best friend, Persephone. Hadassah is dressed in dull grey head to toe in standard adventurers clothing, a long hooded cloak, tall leather boots, woolen trousers and a tunic. At her hip is slung a small crossbow, and on her other hip a small quarrel of bolts.

Spoiler:

Persephone stands only two foot one from the ground, however her tail would make her entire length just short of six feet. A female halfling torso, closely resembling that of Hadassah, on a long serpent body makes her unmistakably a naga. Her pale hair is long, unkempt and violet in hue. Her skin is a soft alabaster. Her blue eyes are clear and deep. If separated from Hadassah her uneasiness becomes almost palpable. A simple leather thong about her waist holds a crossbow, much like Hadassah's, and a small quarrel of bolts.


Male Human Paladin 1

Virgil wraps the loose cap around him as he feels the cool wind bringing the coming storm. Its been a long journey so far, and he is ready to make camp for the night.

We should be quick about making camp, the storm is approaching quickly

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Virgil:
Virgil appears as a tall medium build human. He has very light brown hair that is fairly well kept for its long length.

A large heavy shield is slung over his back, while his longsword hangs at his side, never far from reach.

While still a young man, not yet reaching 30 the days on the road and seeing countless battles has given a aged look to his face, giving him a look of a older man.


"Looks like we are almost set." Hadassah looks around the makeshift camp. "I have one day's rations left, not sure how far that will go with you big folk, but I am happy to share." Hadassah rummages around in her pack for a while, then produces a small tin of dried rations. "Not very yummy, but it does the job"

"Looks like we should be to Falcon's Hollow by this time tomorrow." observes Hadassah.

"Assuming we survive" laughs Persephone, giving Hadassah's arm a playful squeeze.


The storm is coming in quickly, and Gill and Virgil find a nice slope to set up camp. The area is all grasslands, flat and without trees. If you don't have tents, you manage to get creative with a dozen of long skinny dead trees, some found large rocks, rope, and some kind of cloth(ing) or a tarp to make a short, snug shelter (like a teepee). There's only enough room to sleep and have a small fire.

The storm eventually leaves, and your camp withheld and kept upright. You're safe. However, for Hadassah, unique to her position, she was caught in the wind and rain. She enters the camp soggy.

From the Director's chair:

Sorry H. ;) I decided to add some flavor to the scene by doling out some playful strife. I enjoy giving out unfortunate, but inconsequential, situations for comedic reasons and to give characters something to discuss. You know, for those memorable moments.

So, here is your motivation for the next scene. Hadassah has just entered the shelter after being caught in the rain for a minute or two. It's pouring, so she's pretty wet. Hope she isn't wearing white, buwhahahaha!! >:)

And I would like to point out that you are not in an ideal situation. Even for your good rolls, there just isn't any natural protection around, leaving you in open space. That said, how would you like to handle tonight? Will you want to set up watches to make sure nothing eats your rations (or you) while you sleep? It's up to you, so feel free to discuss.

Oh, and Hadassah and Gil. I clicked on your links and didn't find your character sheets. Could you take them from the other thread and post them? I wanted to look at your equipment.

And if you do have tents then you just simply describe in your next post that you set up tents.

H, I saw that you were assisting. You succeeded, and can ignore being wet if you want to.


an idea hit me:

While you wait out the storm, this could be a good time for you three to talk and share stories about yourselves. You know, build relationships and chemistry. It's up to you.


"So, apparently Persephone is not that much better than me at setting up a camp." Hadassah pulls her blanket out of her pack and uses it to quickly dry he face and hair. She turns to Gill and asks "Do you mind if we bunk down in here? It is kind of nasty out there," as she hands the blanket to Persephone to also dry off with. Persephone shrugs and obligitorily wipes herself dry, and moves to put the blanket near the fire to dry. Hadassah flashes a quick smile at Virgil before continuing, "I promise we don't take up that much room." Clearly hamming it up for sympathy, she goes on, "Besides if I catch something," her speech interrupted by a shiver, "I am not sure how much help I will be," a small pathetic cough escapes her lips as she smiles up at her camp mates.


Male Human Paladin 1

I'm sure we can make room

Virgil adjusts his position away from the small fire to make room for the halfling. He tries to keep the large shield at his back positioned towards the blowing wind to help shelter himself from the elements.

Since traveling together, Virgil had seen Hadassah perform many amazing feats of magic and knows her to be very accomplished, yet the heart of a paladin can't stand a lady in distress, and Hadassah probably knows that.

She's probably playing to your good nature...

The three of you get warm and get some sleep, I'll take first watch

Stoking the small fire with a stick, Virgil waves his had suggesting his companions take rest.


Male Human Druid 1

"Make yourself comfortable. I never make use of tents so this is basically as good as it is ever going to get. The branches keep you dry, at least, and I prefer a shelter built by my own hands. If your taste is for something a little less rustic you'll have to see what Virgil has to offer."

Seemingly satisfied with his take-it-or-leave-it offer of hospitality, Gill rummages in his pack for a while, before locating a stick of dried licorice root which he chews absent-mindedly.

"I'll sit up a while with you Virgil, if you like. I'm not really tired anyway." He turns to Hadassah, "If you think you might be 'catching something' maybe you should turn in early, eh? That's unless anyone wants to tell a story...?"

Spoiler:

So, do we know the reason why we are traveling together to Falcon's Hollow, or are we casual travelers and therefore a topic worthy of a bit of discussion on the way? If it's OK with the other 2 I'd like to be a newcomer to the group, maybe even a guide, rather than a long term companion


"Thank you!"

Almost before you have finished accepting, Hadassah produces a bedroll and begins placing it in an out of the way spot inside the shelter.

"and please do! I love stories!"

There is a brief tussling under the blanket of the bedroll, then Hadassah hands her wet clothes to Persephone who neatly arranges them near the fire to dry before returning to Hadassah's side.

Her head barely poking out from under the bedroll blanket, Hadassah asks, "So Gill, you are newest, why don't you tell us a story of how you came to us?"


"Alright, I will start then..." Hadassah takes a moment to study the shadows darting across the ceiling.

Before I start though, I need to know if either of you has noticed a tall elven woman, about twice my height, auburn hair, and violet colored eyes. She usually has a small scorpion around her left wrist?"

After waiting a moment hoping for an affirmation regarding the woman in question, Hadassah shrugs, "Probably silly to keep looking after all this time, I should have started sooner."

Hadassah sighs and continues, "At any rate. Long ago, near the headwaters of the great River Foam, there existed a small halfling tribe. The head of the tribe was a strong willed woman named Miriam, and her Husband, Hector, ruled at her side." A wistful smile crosses Hadassah's lips as she reaches out to stroke Persephone's hair.

"Hector and Miriam were overjoyed with the birth of their daughter, and the entire tribe celebrated for seven days and seven nights, platters of fine wines, fresh fruits and smoked fish were passed around, and the entire tribe reveled in their good fortune"

"For several years, the Matriarch and her husband watched their daughter grow into an amazing young girl. At times they worried about her diminutive size, being small for a halfling is small indeed," Hadassah laughs quietly to her self as if this were some kind of inside joke and continues, "One afternoon, when the rushing highland waters had warmed enough, the young and precocious girl took it upon herself to learn to swim. So off to the river she ran, and in she dove. After a moment or two of splashing and frolicking in the shallower water, her courage had built up, and she dove headlong into the deep slow waters mid stream. down to the bottom she sank, and with a quick kick against the riverbed she rocket to the surface!"

"Full of spirit and completely lacking in common sense, she made a game of sinking and popping back up. Unfortunately, on her second or third attempt, her foot stuck in a tangled root, and her kick to the surface gained her naught. She struggled there for a while, her mind reeling in fear, screaming out for help. . . But when her mouth opened no sounds came out. Just rushing cold water from the river rushing in, filling her lungs." Hadassah sighs again and shrugs.

"However long later, the girl awoke on the banks of the stream, coughing, sputtering, and confused." Hadassah reaches over and takes Persephone's hand in hers. "looking down at the girl was an almost invisible naga girl. She shushed the halfling before fading from sight."

"I am sorry, I think I am too tired to tell the rest tonight, perhaps another time?"

Hadassah pulls the blanket around her a little tigher, and pulls it up to cover her face as Persephone defensively coils around her. A faint "Thank you" is whispered from the halfling's bedroll, but it is difficult to guess who spoke.


Male Human Paladin 1

"I'd appreciate the extra eyes tonight Gill. There is something in the air tonight...maybe just the storm.

Virgil found the sound of the halfling's voice soothing, but he only caught bits of the story as his attention was focused the darkness quickly falling over them.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

I'm not sure if the roll was appropriate as it wasn't asked for, but I thought maybe I'd just stick it in to demonstrate that Virgil was taking his watch seriously, and not getting too distracted by the story.

Fantastic story btw!


"I am not much good at keeping watch, but if you wake me in a couple hours, Persephone does great. . . And I mean that. . . Not to be confused with her ability to set up camp. Please wake me in time for last watch." Hadassah playfully nudges Persephone and winks.

Spoiler:
If Persephone ends up on watch, Hadassah will have have to be awake to summon her back, the eidolon disappears when Hadassah falls asleep (Eidolon Class Feature). However, I think we should all take a watch.

Hadassah is not a morning person, so will likely not be too good at aiding another, nor do I think Guidance is appropriate for every skill check, so I am using neither the spell nor aid another.

Persephone Perception roll:
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34

As Hadassah drifts off to sleep Persephone places her crossbow and bolts near Hadassah's bedroll, and carefully folds Hadassah clothes and extra blanket, nicely dried by the fire, into a pillow which she slips under Hadassah's head before she fades from existence.


Virgilante wrote:

"I'd appreciate the extra eyes tonight Gill. There is something in the air tonight...maybe just the storm.

Virgil found the sound of the halfling's voice soothing, but he only caught bits of the story as his attention was focused the darkness quickly falling over them.

[dice=Perception]1d20+1

I'm not sure if the roll was appropriate as it wasn't asked for, but I thought maybe I'd just stick it in to demonstrate that Virgil was taking his watch seriously, and not getting too distracted by the story.

Actually, it's very appropriate. You are keeping watch, so if Gil would roll that would be great!


Spoiler:
Hadassah flops around on her mat, trying not to be awake for a couple minutes before surrendering to the cold and damp. Sitting up, she rubs her eyes and looks around.

"Meh, it is still dark. What I wouldn'g give for a cup of coffee or something to help me wake up. Persephone be a dear and. . ."

Hadassah grumbles for a while and then crosses her legs and lowers her head to meditate. "Someday I will wake up and you will be here still..."

After the ritual is complete, Persephone helps Hadassah dress then picks her crossbow and bolts back up from the ground.

"Sorry, someday I will figure out how to stick around while you sleep," smiles Persephone as she help Hadassah tie back her hair.

Together they leave the shelter. "I think it may be our turn at watch, if it isn't already morning. Any idea what time it is?" asks Persephone.
Hadassah shrugs, "I have no idea."

I don't know how long we should generally wait for a reply, so I figured I would wait past twenty four hours. If you want, I can hold off on waking up until Gill is back, otherwise I will pretend he dozed off on watch.


Male Human Druid 1

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

”These eyes are usually ready, Virgil, I sleep less and less these days.” Gill straightens, then tightens his boots, but otherwise he seems unperturbed by the weather. ”We should reach the town by late morning, if all goes well. I have to admit, I’m somewhat bothered by what we’ll find there. I know you have been patient until now, accepting my guidance across country with little indication on my part as to the reason for my journey. Truth is, I’ve been wondering myself. Little signs at first, then less ignorable omens, crows gathering, unseasonal swarms of mosquitos. I can’t help but think there’s something wrong at Falcon’s Hollow. Damn it, it’s not like me to really even care that much. Leastwise, not in my younger days, but I feel more and more drawn towards aiding my fellow man as I grow older. ‘Tis a strange thing. ” He shrugs, and seems to lose the will to continue. ”We’ll see, I guess. We’ll see.”

After a few minutes of silence he glances back at the snuggling Halfling. ”I could teach you to swim, if you like? You know, just in case.”


Male Human Paladin 1

"There is certainly no shortage of wrong doings these days. Every where I turn..evil and injustice seem to run rampant, left unchecked."

"By my sword, and the wraith of Iomedae, if your senses lead us to trouble in Falcon's Hollow, it will not go unchecked and unpunished. That I swear."

If the druid senses are keen, we must prepare for the worst. With my last breath, Iomedae's justice will be served!

Virgil relaxes a little bit after he realizes that his hand has clenched the hilt of his sword.


At the tense moment that Virgilante's fingers wring themselves over the hilt of his sword, there's a sudden slight shuffling sound over by Hadassah. That wall of the tent moves,bulging slightly inward, and then slowly rises.


Spoiler:
Hadassah and Persephone dig through the remains of her rations and securing the last ration of dry coffee, rummage about for something to heat water in.
"I knew I would regret leaving out small pot at home." mutters Hadassah, "Be a dear and ask the guys on watch if either of them happens to have one?".

As Persephone makes to leave the tent, Hadassah reminds her [b]"And do try not to sneak up on them in the dark, the both seemed a little jittery tonight, O.K.?"

Persephone heads out to find a pot.

I am unsure how much time has passed, If it has not been four to six hours since Hadassah went to sleep, we will not be awake.


Hadassah:

My last post is happening now H, and it's happening by you.


"What the!..." Hadassah glances around for a place to hide as the walls of the tent bulge towards her. "Persephone! I need you!"

Hadassah grabs her crossbow and attempts to hide as far from the movement as possible.

Spoiler:
Stealth Check, if possible. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

"Can you see anything?" Hadassah whispers to Persephone.

Spoiler:

Persephone Perception Check 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23

CaptMadJaq:
I need to roll Hit points for Persephone (1d10). 1d10 ⇒ 10, Eidolons are not PCs and do not start with max HP at level one.


Male Human Paladin 1

Already tense from the notion of some sort of evil in Falcon's Hollow, hand at his sword hilt, Virgil spins around at the sound of Hadassah calling out, drawing his sword.

"What is it? Whats wrong!"

Not 100% certain if Virgil has seen the movement or not. But as he's now turned towards Hadassah, I'll assume he has seen at least the movement

"Hadassah! Get back"


Hadassah notices Persephone reacting to Virgilante's call, and shakes her head 'no' waving for Persephone to join her. As Persephone comes close, Hadassah whispers "Hide!"

Persephone does her best to hide in the confined space of the shelter.

Spoiler:
Persephone Stealth Check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13


Male Human Druid 1

Gill swivels in the direction of the intruder and mumbles a few short words in preparation for spell casting. He glances down and reassures himself that a spear is close at hand should it be necessary.

actions:

initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
I am readying the spell 'Charm Animal' (DC14) and will cast it if I see both a) an animal (!) and b) they seem sure to attack. If it's s stand off, however, I won't cast - it's a last resort only. I'll also try to adjust my position to get a better view.


Male Human Druid 1

"Virgil! Hold your sword a moment longer, leastwise until we know what bother we have here..."

Unnecessary bloodshed would be an inauspicious event so close to our destination.


"psst!! Get back in here!" whispers Hadassah, loudly as Persephone makes for the door. "You are not going to go out there and get yourself killed, we have guides and men for more capable than us if this comes to a fight. ."

"If you must know what is out there . . ." Hadassah bows her head for a moment, focusing on the nature of the celestial dog, and the bulging tent wall. I hope you don't find anything. . .

Spoiler:
Hadassah uses her Summon Monster I Spell Like Ability to summon a celestial dog. I do not have handle animal skill, so it will simply defend me for one minute.

I am casting a spell from a hidden (I hope) place and I am whispering as well, so I think I would need another Stealth Check. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26

If we are not immediately being attacked, I begin working my way to the door, with Persephone in tow.


Celestial Dog:

Sporce: <<HERE>>

Removed Fiendish/Augmented Summoning Feat information, as it does not apply
Summoned Dog:

Dog CR 1/3
N Size celestial animal
Init +1; Senses darkvision, low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +1 size)
hp 6 (1d8+2)
Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1
SR 5
Celestial - Resist acid, cold, and electricity 5;

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +2 (1d4+1)
Special Attack smite evil

STATISTICS
Str 13, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +0; CMB +0; CMD 11 (15 vs. trip)
Feats Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Acrobatics +1 (+9 jumping), Perception +8, Survival +1 (+5 scent tracking); Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics when jumping, +4 Survival when tracking by scent

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Smite evil 1/day as a swift action (adds Cha bonus (0) to attack rolls and damage bonus equal to HD (+1) against evil foes; smite persists until target is dead or the celestial creature rests).


Male Human Druid 1

Spoiler:
Hadassah wrote:
... I begin working my way to the door...

I fear you overestimate my shelter building ambition!


Gill Baverly wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Replace the word "door" with "exit" please.

The tent is really tight, there isn't any room for discretion or modesty. The moment the dog poofs into existence(making maneuverability inside the tent intolerable), you hear a young girl shriek loudly, followed by another scream from someone else. The tent wall then falls back into the place and you can hear feet splash in the mud, away from your tent. Then there's a louder wet sound and now you can hear the wails of a baby.

Spoiler:

Remember, the tent is very small and with the addition of a summoned animal it has become smaller yet. For Gil and Virgil, they would have to move through the dog to that side of the tent, whose tail(mostly it's butt) is slapping against you two gents.

DC 10:

Because it humors me, would Virgilante and Gil roll an acrobatics check at DC 10? The dog's sudden appearance makes things tight. If you fail you're upright but pushed outside in the rain. And if your score is equal to or less than 5 you find yourself prone and under the dog.


The door and exit are the one and the same.


Male Human Druid 1

"What...is going on!"
acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Spoiler:
Out of interest, do I lose the readied spell?


Gill Baverly wrote:

"What...is going on!"

[dice=acrobatics]1d20 + 2
** spoiler omitted **

A quick concentration check at DC 10, and you'll be fine.


Male Human Druid 1

concentration: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Hadassah and Persephone attempt to eek out past the two large folk, "We have to find that baby, they could be in need of help. It is not likly someone has a babe out in this weather in the middle of the night without something being horribly wrong."

Hadassah exits the shelter and begins calling out, "I do not know who you are, but this is no safe time to have a babe out in the wilds, please come back! We mean you no harm."

To Persephone Hadassah whispers, "See if you can spot them, they likely need our help."

Rolls:
Sorry to stack so many tasks, but I am off to a job interview and may not be back tonight

If appropriate:
PERSEPHONE (Eidolon) rolls:

Acrobatics, Persephone .. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 (leaving the tent)
Perception, Persephone .. 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30 (Try to spot the people or some sort of trail)
Survival, Persephone, 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 to follow the sounds of people and baby (If proper, +1 is from aid other. Hadassah is helping Persephone.)
Stealth, Persephone 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17 trying to be sneaky approaching a baby/people

HADASSAH (Summoner) rolls:

Acrobatics, Hadassah .. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 (leaving the tent)
Stealth, Hadassah 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22 trying to be sneaky about following sounds of baby

"We need to get to the children before something horrible happens.." Hadassah and Persephone stealthily head off in the direction of the baby's scream, as best they can. Why do I always run off, it is probably a trap. Wonder if they would think any less of me if I just hid...


Male Human Paladin 1

Ack! get this dog...out...hrmph..

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (8) - 4 = 4

Somebody get this thing off of me!

Virgil struggles to get out from under the dog


Oh, the fickle whims of the dice roller!

As Gil and Virgilante pick themselves up and away from the dog, Persephone slithers under the tent, nearly knocking it over.

"I see them!" she shouts back, "There's a girl, a boy, and a baby. They didn't get far. About ten meters at best, maybe a few more. They've dropped a wagon."

At the sight of Persephone the children begin screaming again.


Male Human Paladin 1

Wait! don't run! There is nothing to fear!

Not seeing an threat, Virgil puts his sword back into his scabbard, hoping to look less intimidating. He calls out trying to sound less fearsome, while he tries to get himself out of the tent.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Virgilante and Gil, you get out from under the dog after a short frustrating moment, clamor to your feet and can move. Hadassah, There's nothing impeding your movement, except Gil and Virgil if you were to leave out the front. It would be an acrobatics check to slip by between their legs. Otherwise, you can follow Persephone unhampered.

The children are only 10 feet away, and I'm assuming you three will be approaching them?(I did say 30 feet, but I forgot that it's raining and that the grass is slick and there is mud, which is also slick.)

outside the tent, 10 feet away:

The wagon Persephone mentions is a small pull wagon for kids. There's a small woolly child's blanket in it. The girl, likely the eldest of the three shown by her height, is clutching the wailing baby to her chest. I've determined that they are frightened. By their age and innocence, seeing a dog poof out of nowhere, a snake woman, and being out in a storm a 25 won't cut it. That's not including what I know that you haven't discovered yet. They're considered hostile but towards the flavor of being scared. They are frightened.

What is keeping them from running away is that they're getting the wagon up, and that it's also muddy and slippery.

Will someone assist?


frightened:

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and in addition they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. They can choose the paths of their flight. Other than that stipulation, once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. If the duration of their fear continues, however, characters can be forced to flee if the source of their fear presents itself again. Characters unable to flee can fight (though they are still shaken).


"Sorry," says Hadassah, somewhat abashed. Blushing to a deep red, "I was scared.." Turning to the dog, Thank you, you may go now." Dismissing spell.

Dismiss:
(D) Dismissible: If the duration line ends with “(D),” you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Hadassah picks up her blanket and follows Persephone out of the shelter, and speaks softly to the children, "Please, calm down, I am not going to hurt you. My friends, Gill and Virgilante will be here in a moment to help us unstick your wagon. I am sorry, you scared me and I broke our shelter. You must be hungry, cold, and afraid? I think we really should get that baby somewhere out of the weather." Hadassah smiles warmly, "at least take this blanket for him."

Turning to Persephone, "Thank you dear, would you please help Virgilante and Gill find us? And take this back to camp, I don't think it is helping the kids," finishes Hadassah, handing her crossbow and bolts to Persephone.

I wish Virgilante was here, he seems much better with people than I am.


Male Human Paladin 1

Assumptions so far:

If I've got this correctly, the three of us are basically just inside of the tent. Gil and Virgil towards the front after just untangling from the dog. Hasdassah just behind us.

The children are only about 10 feet away, trying to pull a wagon through the mud, and are obviously scared of something. Hope I got all that right in my head

Virgil exits the tent slowly, allowing the cold air and rain to once again pelt down on him and his armor, the current circumstances probably not portraying him in the best light.

He works his way out a few feet into the mud, towards the wagon

roll if needed:
Acrobatics against falling: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (3) - 4 = -1

woah, this is slipperly...if you lose your legs, try to laugh and make fun..don't scare the kids

Children, don't be frightened. Here, let me help you with your wagon, it seems to be stuck

Diplomacy again just in case its needed: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Hadassah:
In our travels, by now you'd probably just call him Virgil. Only his mom still calls him Virgilante


Male Human Druid 1

Looks like the other 2 have got a good handle on this situation, but I best remain alert to any unseen threats. Children are not really my specialism anyway.

Spoiler:
OK, I'm trying to pull off the difficult trick of looking completely non-threatening to these children whilst remaining on alert for anything else out there which might fancy taking advantage if we all let our guard down. I'm avoiding eye contact with the children and scanning the edge of the light area for signs of movement and so on. I'm not really moving from wherever I regained my feet, either.


The children are shaken, and stand there shivering from the cold and with fear. They might run, but they don't likely because they wouldn't get very far and need help. They're covered from head to toe in mud and their clothes are sticking to their bodies.

"Don't hurt us," said the girl, eventually. The boy made a whimpering sound and looked between Virgil and Hadassah.


Hadassah smiles at the girl, and holds out her blanket, "Please, the baby needs it."

Just wait a while, she will come... she just needs time to calm down.


Male Human Paladin 1

Through a quick glance, Gill seems to communicate to Virgil that he is maintaining the watch against any surprises. Virgil gives Gill a subtle nod in acknowledgement and focuses once again on their surprise visitors.

Nobody here is going to hurt you, I promise. My name is Virgil, I am the sword of Iomedae, a Paladin. You know what a Paladin is right? We don't lie.

My RP might be a bit weak here. I'm not 100% sure if a paladin would actually refer to themselves as a paladin or not. But for sake of the conversation, assume that he refers to his title in a manner that common children would know him buy.

Please, come in out of this weather and warm yourselves closer to the fire. You'll be safe with us.


@Virgi:
I always think of Paladins as police, so I think even if Paladin is the wrong word, it works to communicate the concept of what you are trying for. It is akin to saying cleric. People in general know that you mean a say cleric you mean you are the representative of some church, though some people might say pastor, priest, or whatever, people will understand. I think it is only bad to use a class name when you are something like a rogue (what is the last time someone walked in to a bar and said "Hi, I'm a car thief. I am likely to steal anything that isn't nailed down, nice to meet you!"), or like me, a magic user... In which case, I usually use super generic names, like Wizard, I know it as a class, but the world knows it as someone who casts spells... I think that made sense.


Male Human Paladin 1

for Hadassah:

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't really thought of the police angle before. It makes sense, but I guess I took it from the standpoint that as a lawful good person, a paladin would distinguish themselves from the police as far as local town militia or other types that while may be enforcers, aren't held to the level of purity of a paladin. Good conversation! Thanks



Virgil:
I apologize, because I think I was unclear. I am not likening a paladin to the police in the in character world (you are not the police force of Falcon's Hollow) more likening the word Paladin as an in character concept to the word police in a Mayberry-esque society of the 1950s. It is an idealized good, not local militia. I think the title Paladin confers a concept of "this is an honest, trustworthy person who will help me" much as the title of police officer should, in a perfect world.


Hadassah turn to Virgil, "Please, keep the baby warm with this, I am going to help Gill fix the shelter I broke, and heat up the remains of my rations, they look hungry."

As she leaves, Hadassah pauses to whisper to Virgil, "I think they like you, they actually speak to you..."

With that, Hadassah heads up the hill, Persephone, would you help me please?

Hadassah and begins to gather up the bits of shelter knocked over by Persephone, "Not that I don't have faith in your ability, but I think Gill is much better than us when it comes to this, perhaps we should work under his guidance?"

"Gill, do you mind if we help?", Hadassah whispers something to Persephone.

Perception 15:

Hear the details of a whispered conversation, DC 15
"You know I love you dear, but the children find you horrifying. So would you mind gathering some firewood for a while, and we will see if they calm down enough? Else I will hide out in the woods with you while Gill and Virgil straighten them out."


Spoiler:

If Gill is agreeable, I will cast guidance on him, but I do not cast spells on people without permission unless it is something to help save their life in combat or the like.


The boy looks to be about eight, and the girl seems to be in her tweens. She's pretty with long brown hair, green eyes, and freckles. her brother has auburn hair and the same green eyes. The baby, well, he's just crying because he's wet and cold and not liking it.

The boy stopped crying long enough to look at his sister. After a long second she nodded and reached out to you Virgil for help to pull them out of this nasty mud. Once on their feet the boy looks up to you.

"You never lie? That can't be true. Everyone lies because everyone wants something. That's what Mother said." His sister jabbed him hard in the ribs with her elbow.

"Shh! Don't talk about her. You'll bring bad luck!"

"Don't say that!" the boy stepped away from his sister and shot her a mean look. He didn't like her hitting him like that, and he made no effort to hide it. "She's not dead! She said she was tired and needed to rest her eyes, that's all! Nothing more!"

His sister wanted to protest and opened her mouth to do so, but seeing the hopelessness in it she snapped it shut and turned her pretty green eyes down to her muddy feet. Clutching her baby brother closer to her chest her shoulders shook as she began to sob. Immediately, a sudden fit of coughing struck her and forced her to stop her crying and bend over at the waist. Three hard hacks, and then she straightened and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

perception check DC 15:

When she coughed some color at the corner of her mouth and on her chin. It was thick, slightly viscous, and perhaps chunky. It was black as bad blood. The boy is coughing too, but only slightly as if he had a mild cold or allergies.


Hadassah:


Hadassah, since you are outside you can make the check too. If you're close, next to Virgil who is with the children, then the DC is 15. if you are farther away it's 20.

1 to 50 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / For use new at this: Hollow's Last Hope All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.