Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DougFungus' Crypt of the Everflame (Inactive)

Game Master DougFungus

The Crypt where Ekat Kassen was laid to rest has become an important part of the town's history. This year a group of hand selected individuals have been chosen to venture to the crypt and retrieve the Everflame in time for the autumn celebration.


551 to 600 of 1,280 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Lorant! There's something behind you, back beside the wall! Kaylee shouts out, bursting into a bad fit of coughing. Her vision was getting worse from the smoke but she did not doubt the movement she had seen.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 To recognize what it is.


Initiative:
Kaylee (4 Rounds)
Kerret (0 Rounds)
Lorant (5 Rounds)
Pip (3 Rounds)
Vastar (0 Rounds)
Shadow (Unaffected)

Condition Reminder wrote:

The smoke in this chamber is quite harsh, causing eyes to water and breathing to become labored. Living creatures in this room take a –2 penalty on Perception checks and on attack rolls. Please remember to factor this into your rolls.

Kerret and Vastar do not suffer this penalty since they are not in the room.

Lorant knocks the dagger from the fire with his sword. It clinks as it hits the floor beside the fire and lands in AB-19.

As Kaylee's warning goes out it becomes clear that there is a Shadow of something or someone in the room. Only, there is nobody else there. The shadow moves of its own accord. It slips silently across the floor at Kaylee and stretches out an appendage to touch her.

Incorporeal Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Strength Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Kaylee, you feel a piece of your life force being sucked out of you as the Shadow grabs at your leg. Take 2 STR damage.

Side Note:
I looked everywhere I could to find a really creepy shadow graphic for this battle but couldn't find one anywhere. I really must apologize for the blob that is your enemy.

Maps have been updated

Round b-11 begins now


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Kaylee screams out as the creature's cold touch weakens her. She takes a quick step back to get away. How do we fight this demon?! she cries out.

Five foot step to X-19, total defense action.


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

Lorant whirls around at Kaylee's warning only to see a dark shadow grabbing at her. "Kaylee, watch out!" He rushes over and tries to slash at the shadow.

Move to Z-20.

Sword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

I have no channels left today. Does anyone know disrupt undead?

The dagger!

I dart toward the dagger and pick it up, my hand wrapped in the hem of my cloak.


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

Doug Fungus:

Kaylee and I want a little clarity. Would we know that healing magic harms undead?
Would a knowledge (religion) check be needed?


male halfling lvl3 rogue HP:23/23

"What the heck is that?" Pip checks through his pack and belongings looking for anything that may help to defeat this thing. He finds nothing. Drawing his masterwork shortsword he takes a defensive position where he currently stands.


Vastar wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Response:
I would say it's likely that they do. I've always assumed that this is common knowledge in my games.

Use caution, this is a very difficult encounter for your level and you still have a whole dungeon to go. Also keep in mind that even though I don't like killing PC's, I have no intention of going easy on you guys.


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

C'mon, friends, let's get out of here. This is a dead-end with no-one to rescue.

I head to toward the exit, peering warily through the smoke at the shifting shadows.


Vastar wrote:

C'mon, friends, let's get out of here. This is a dead-end with no-one to rescue.

I head to toward the exit, peering warily through the smoke at the shifting shadows.

Does this mean that you are not going to pick up the dagger?


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)
DougFungus wrote:
Vastar wrote:

C'mon, friends, let's get out of here. This is a dead-end with no-one to rescue.

I head to toward the exit, peering warily through the smoke at the shifting shadows.

Does this mean that you are not going to pick up the dagger?

Um, I confused myself by posting twice in one round! I guess I'll say that as I go for the dagger. I think everyone can predict my actions in the next round...


male halfling lvl3 rogue HP:23/23

Pip runs to the exit...not wanting to tangle with a shadow..."C'mon guys! Get out of there!"


Initiative:
Kaylee (5 Rounds)
Kerret (0 Rounds)
Lorant (6 Rounds)
Pip (4 Rounds)
Vastar (0 Rounds)
Shadow (Unaffected)

Condition Reminder wrote:

The smoke in this chamber is quite harsh, causing eyes to water and breathing to become labored. Living creatures in this room take a –2 penalty on Perception checks and on attack rolls. Please remember to factor this into your rolls.

Kerret and Vastar do not suffer this penalty since they are not in the room.

  • Kaylee steps back and cowers from the shadow.

  • Lorant moves to Z-20 and attacks the Shadow. Lorant's sword passes right through the shadow without it so much as noticing. It has no effect.

  • Pip flees in terror. The shadow seizes the moment and lunges out to attack Pip while his back is turned.

    Shadow's Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 miss

    Pip is too quick and the shadow misses.

  • Vastar runs into the room to pick up the dagger. He wraps his hand in his cloak before picking it up. Good thing too. The dagger leaves a burn mark on Vastars cloths. It is enough however to block the intense heat from burning his hand.

  • The Shadow turns. Through the dim light of the fire its form can be seen swiping a large claw at Lorant.

    Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 Hit!

    Strength Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Summary:
  • Lorant takes 3 STR Damage

  • Pip, please make a note on your character sheet for the STR Damage you took last turn.

  • Lorant, please do the same

Maps have been updated

Round b-12 begins now


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

Lorant's eyes go wide as his sword passes right through the shadow. Of course, recruit, what else would you expect when fighting a shadow? Captain Ingar's voice rings in his head. Now, protect the others and move!

Lorant shifts around the shadow and shouts, "Go! Get out!"

5 foot step to Y-19. Total Defense. +4 Dodge bonus to AC. Touch AC is 16.


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

Lets get out of here, maybe the sunlight will kill it, or maybe it is tied to the weird smoke? C'mon Kaylee! I dart past Lorant, C'mon Lorant. If you stick around too long being brave I swear by Old Deadeye I'll come back for you and get myself dead as well!
Double Move to T16


Initiative:
Kaylee 6 Rounds)
Kerret (0 Rounds)
Lorant (7 Rounds)
Pip (4~ Rounds)
Vastar (0 Rounds)
Shadow (Unaffected)

  • Lorant 5 foot steps to Y-19 and takes a defensive stance.

  • Vastar darts toward the next room still clutching the searing dagger in his cloak. A feint wisp of smoke trailing behind him as the red hot metal continues to burn his cloths.

  • The Shadow turns with Lorant and swipes at him again.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 miss

Lorant dodges the attack.

Maps have been updated

Round b-13 begins now


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Kaylee watches as Lorant's blade passes right through.

Lorant, let's run. Maybe the dagger can hurt it if it follows us. She backs away carefully before turning to hustle down the hallway to the entrance of the next room.

5 foot withdraw, followed by a move action to V-15.


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

"Is everyone out?"

Lorant tries to see, but he's fully engaged in watching the shadow in front of him.

Can't see anyone but Kaylee, but everyone else should be able to run behind Lorant and out of the room before he cuts and runs himself.


Initiative:
Kaylee 6~ Rounds)
Kerret (0 Rounds)
Lorant (8 Rounds)
Pip (4~ Rounds)
Vastar (0 Rounds)
Shadow (Unaffected)

  • Kaylee flees the room unharmed.

    Kaylee, I cant place you in V-15 because thats where Pip is. As you turn the corner you come to a dead stop in W-15.

  • Lorant:
    Perception Check: 1d20 + 2 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 10 = 17

    Looking at the Shadow you can see the silhouette of a regular villager screaming in agony because he is on fire. He runs around frantically without making a sound trying to put out the flames. You seem to be more of an outlet for his pain than an enemy. Regardless, the Shadow continues to attempt to siphon your life force.

  • The Shadow continues it's assault on Lorant.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 [ooc]miss

Lorants defensive state makes it difficult for the Shadow to connect a blow.

Maps have been updated

Round b-14 begins now


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

Not seeing anyone else left in the room, Lorant tries to disengage from the shadow and retreat.

Withdraw. Move as far up the corridor as I can without going past anyone.


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

Get out of there Lorant! I may have something that can affect it!

Kerret prepares to cast disrupt undead as soon as the creature comes into view.

Go on delay. When the shadow appears, cast disrupt undead then move to R 19.

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
positive energy: 1d6 ⇒ 5


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

I keep running, toward the hidey-hole.


Initiative:
Kaylee
Kerret
Lorant
Pip
Vastar

  • Kerret prepares Disrupt Undead

  • Lorant retreats to X-15

  • Vastar, I'm not entirley sure what "The Hidey-Hole" is but I'm assuming you mean "The Safe Room" where Roldare is located. If this is incorrect let me know and I'll modify this action.

    Vastar runs to the locked door of the Safe Room.

  • The Shadow chases Lorant but promptly stops at the exit and does not chase.

Lorant and Kaylee:
Lorant turns to check his back as Keylee peeks around the corner to see the silouhette of a man dropping to his knees at the enterance of the room. He is covered in flames and scrambles frantically to save himself. Though the figure screams in agony it does not let out a sound.

Maps have been updated

Round b-15 Begins Now


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Kaylee starts to weep watching the anguish of the shadow of a man is going through. Her body moves following her strongest instinct. She runs back to the shadow and attempts to heal it. Looking closer, she wonders who this man was and why was he made to suffer like this.

Knowledge(History): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Healing Hex: 1d20 ⇒ 141d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

Lorant turns back, ready to try and step in if the shadow comes after Kaylee. "Did you see, that? It looked like a person trapped inside."


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

When nothing emerges, Kerret advances to the corner. What's going on in here? Seeing Kaylee and Lorant he says, You two look awful, like death warmed over. Are you all right?


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

This shadow... it's someone in serious pain. Kaylee explains. I'm okay for now.


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

"I'll be ok. It seemed to sap some of my strength, but I'll be ok." He looks at Kaylee and then back to the shadow. "Do we need to help him? Kill the thing to put him to rest?"


Initiative:
Kaylee
Kerret
Lorant
Pip
Vastar

  • Kaylee's Knowledge History Result:
    Kaylee, your Knowledge History check does not reveal any new information

    Kaylee slowly walks back up to the shadow who is still assuming the form of a man on fire kneeling on the ground in agony. She extends forth her hand and touches it softly, however the intended effect is much the opposite that she may have been hoping for. The surge of curative magic sends the shadow into a frenzy of pain as it runs back into the room. At the same time, coming into contact with the shadow drains a part of Kaylee's life force leaving her in a weakened state.

    Shadow Will Save for half damage: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

    Str Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

(please make sure to keep note of this on your character sheet)

Summary:

  • Kaylee takes 2 Str Damage

  • Shadow takes 1 Positive Energy Damage

Maps have been updated

Round b-16 Begins Now


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

I would like to help him, but I've already done all that I can. I'm not feeling too good either. I feel a bit shaky. If we do well, maybe we can put him to rest on the morrow... She uses the wall for support as she walks back into the room with the rest of the companions to share her discovery. These restless spirits are hurt by healing energy. Have we discovered anything about this dagger?


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Move to U-16 if no one occupies it


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

"Let's get back. It doesn't seem like it can follow us. Until we can figure out how to kill it or help it or whatever, let's get back to the room with Roldare and figure out what we should do next."

Lorant moves to W-15 and then weill follow the group as it retreats back.


If it is the groups intent to head back to the room to rest I can fast track them there rather than taking 2-3 rounds to do so.


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

If this poor soul is confined to this room, I may be able to release it from undeath.

Kerret takes aim and fires a bolt of radiant energy at the shadowy man.

ranged touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
disrupt undead: 1d6 ⇒ 6

It's a cantrip so I can do this an unlimited number of times. If necessary Kerret will step into the room to get a better shot, but never more than 5 ft.


You will need to move into the room since you don't have line of sight. 5 feet will be enough.


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

In that case, can I revise my action?


Absolutely, the round is not yet over. Any action can be changed until the round is complete.


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

Kerret slowly pokes his head into the room (move to X18) and looks for the shadowy man.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Go on delay.

If the shadow moves towards him, he withdraws back to X16.

If it does not, he waits for the next round.


Initiative:
Kaylee
Kerret
Lorant
Pip
Vastar

  • Kaylee makes her way back to the safe room following Vastar.

  • Kerret moves to X-18.

    Kerret Perception Check:
    As soon as you walk into the room you immediately see the shadow staring back at you. It pauses for a second and then runs at you. You are prepared and step back to X-16. The Shadow again refuses to leave the room. Its as if its stuck there and resumes burning.

  • Lorant makes his way back to the room following Kaylee.

    Kaylee & Lorant:
    The strong wooden door is still locked and you can hear Roldare muttering to himself on the other side. He must have heard you walk up to the door. From his side you hear a high pitched yelp followed by what sounds like him walking into the table. A few objects can be heard falling to the floor and then silence.

Maps have been updated

Round b-17 Begins Now


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

GM:

Kerret decides to add his own flames to the shadowy ones and casts burning hands, engulfing the shadow in sorcerous fire.

Fire Damage: 4d4 + 4 ⇒ (4, 3, 1, 4) + 4 = 16 DC 17 reflex save for half.


Human Mobile Fighter 4 (hp 13/40 | AC 17/13/14 F+6, R+3, W+2 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Illusions) | Init +3 | Percep +4, SM +1)

Once he sees that Kaylee and Vastar are safe, Lorant heads back to check on Kerret. "Kerret, what are you doing?"

Move to X-15


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

I am drained: I cannot reach out to the divine any more, not until I have rested.

I knock on the door to the little room.


male halfling lvl3 rogue HP:23/23

Not really having anything to offer, Pip is following the group in silence. Unable to stop thinking about the shadow.


Initiative:
Kaylee
Kerret
Lorant
Pip
Vastar

  • Kerret casts Burning Hands on the Shadow.

    Shadow Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 success

    The Shadow is caught in the flames and flails about. Its difficult to tell weather its the flames from Kerret's spell or the fire that is visible only in the Shadows silhouette that are hurting it.

  • Lorant moves to X-15

  • Pip joins the rest of the party in heading back to the safe room.

  • Vastar raps the secret knock on the safe room door. Roldare answers with a big smile on his face.

    Roldare: YOU FOUND DIMERIA! So soon? I though it might take longer. Where is she?

  • The shadow holds its action.

Summary:
  • Shadow takes 4 Damage

Maps have been updated

Round b-18 Begins Now


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

Well, I can't tell if that worked or not. Let's see how this does!

Kerret casts disrupt undead at the shadowy man.

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Initiative +1, Perception +6 (+8 w/Fenris) Current AC 15, Current HP 29/29 (29/29 non-lethal)

Roldare, not yet, my friend. We have faced difficult challenges in this tomb and we must rest or else your sister will have no hope of rescue. She hugs him before looking him sternly in his eyes. We have not given up yet. We will keep our word.

Still feeling drained she walks slowly over to the wall in a corner of the room and slides down to sit. Fenris hops out of his carry pouch and sits on her knees, licking Kaylee's face a few times before turning to watch the others.


Cleric of Erastil (current hp 25, total hp 25; F+4 R+4 W+7; AC19, t12, ff17, Initiative +3, Perception +9)

Feeling the weight if the days events, I too begin to slump in a corner. After a moment, I steel myself and arrange a few boxes into a makeshift altar. Standing my holy symbol atop the 'altar' I kneel in prayer: "Hearth-Father, Stag-God, Protector: hear my prayer."
"May your blessing fall upon Dimeria and cradle her in your safe hands. May our hearts be touched by your example of faith, community and bravery, to seize Dimeria from the darkness and cleanse this tomb. May the souls of the fallen be guided safe to their heavenly destination."[/b]
I pause a second and gulp away a tear of exhaustion, "As Erastil wills it."


Initiative:
Kaylee
Kerret
Lorant
Pip
Vastar

  • Kerret casts Disrupt Undead. The attack is successful and is enough to subdue the creature. The shadow almost looks releaved as it fades from existence.

  • Kaylee, Pip & Vastar make their way into the room and begin to make themselves comfortable. The Crypt up to this point has been taxing and everybody could use a rest. Roldare looks disappointed that his sister has not been found but refuses to leave the room himself, so there is nothing he can really do but let you rest.

    Shadowy Shapes: 3800XP/5=760 XP/Person

Maps have NOT been updated

What is happening?


Init +4; Perception +7; hp: 28/28 AC 13(17)/12/11(15); F+3, R+3, W+5

Kerret searches the room before returning to Roldare's safe room with the others.

Take 20 for total perception 26


Everything in this room has either been noted or found. There is no new treasure or information to be collected here.

551 to 600 of 1,280 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DougFungus' Crypt of the Everflame All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.