Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


1,801 to 1,850 of 3,325 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

I should've done this earlier. Does Anton figure out what they are while he's telling the story?
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 + 2 to identify monstrous humanoids (favored enemy bonus)

Anton returns later that night, first seeking out the person on watch, and then quietly gathering all of his friends except Gelik and Aerys (judging rest to be more important after their ordeal). He then relates a most fantastical tale, in his usual rambling style...

"Earlier tonight, Chupe -- I mean the chupacabra, I don't know his name but I have to call him something -- do chupacabras even have genders? Anyway, he came to me while I was on watch, and offered to show me the wood witch's true nature. But I had no time to talk it over; I had to decide right then or lose the opportunity, so I took it. At least I remembered to let you all know that I was going, though I wasn't sure where, since she supposedly has a connection of some kind to the whole island? Except of course the grey islet.

"As it happens, Chupe did in fact fly me to Aycenia's hill, or that was how I thought of it at the time. It was peculiar, but we actually had good teamwork in complete silence, as he climbed up a tree with my rope, and then lowered it so that I could climb up. I wasn't really expecting that kind of ability to work with other people.

"But I'm telling this all wrong! Aycenia is a monster -- if that's even her name -- and so is her tree, if it's even a tree. Here's what I saw:

"There was a man on a crude wooden table, one of the cannibals by his looks, and some kind of... *thing* dressed like Aycenia. A foul, reddish-green creature, still apparently female. It -- well, she -- traced on the man's chest with a finger, and then tore off some skin and ate it. Then again and again. Then she tore off one of his arms -- must be as strong as Nim! -- and threw it up and at her tree... and it got eaten.

"I mean the tree ate the arm, not the other way around; that wouldn't make any sense. Not that what happened made any sense: the banyon grew a mouth and swallowed the arm. Well, I suppose it isn't really a banyon, since they can't do that. Or maybe it was a banyon once? The point is, blood was spurting from the poor guy's shoulder. He was alive through the whole thing!

"So after I managed to carefully not vomit, Chupe and I carefully snuck away, and I found out some more things as he flew me home. I mean back here. I could see this being home for awhile, right? Anyway, for one, he says that the wood witch has magic that can put him to sleep. Also, he's stronger than her, but doesn't have magic like her. And in addition to helping us leave if we want to, he can also show us more ruins if we kill her. And if you agree, then he'll give us more time.

"I know what you're thinking, and I've already considered the possibility that maybe what we saw before was the truth, and what I saw tonight was the lie. But Ort said that hunters disappear if they get too close to the wood witch's home -- and he said it like how hunters disappear if Chupe is displeased with them, not like how they couldn't capture Pezcock yet. They weren't seeking her out; they were just in the area. So this actually makes more sense to me.

"Finally, while I'm determined to destroy the creature and her tree, I'm also determined to do it because it needs doing, not because of any threat or offered reward. But I won't refuse a reward for it, either.

"So, that's how my night went. How was yours?"


and so it begins....lol


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

After Anton finishes his narration, Tragershen regards him calmly for a moment before answering "Yes, chupacabra's have genders."


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis contributed little to the discussion, Anton having found him awake and staring intently at the witch's monkey, one hand on its paw and another on Tilsini's back.

He seemed bone weary as he listened to Anton's tale, head slumped over.

Forgive me young one... I'm a little too exhausted to make much of this right now, but the next time the Chupa is spotted, we should agree so we can buy ourselves more time; that much I agree with. We need to get the others settled here before we try anything so risky as an assault on Aycenia's grove or on the Chupa itself.

DM, any knowledge checks to make something from Anton's description? Which one, if so?


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai listens wearily to Anton's tale, though has little of worth to say at the end. "We are no further forward than we were before... both entities threaten us with death if we do not kill the other... and neither entity can be trusted."


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

"I agree that neither can be trusted. However, so far the devil has only been of aid to us. Admittedly I believe most of what it has shared with us has been to its advantage as well, but it must view us as useful and non-threatening. Perhaps a temporary alliance with it could be to our advantage. "

He speaks without looking up from his arcane work, but he is clearly engaged in the discussion following Anton's revelations.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton looks at both of the old humans, concerned. From the perspective of a 30-year-old halfling. "I see that my own energy has come at a cost... and we should all get some rest. But I have to say, while I would agree that both are incredibly dangerous, to say that neither can be trusted? That's a false equivalence."

"Maybe it's just because I enjoyed our teamwork under danger, but I challenge you to name anything that the Chupa has deceived us about. Tomorrow. After we sleep. And don't stay up too late, young men!" The little ranger waggles his finger at Aedalis and Tragershen, then winks.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai lectures Anton "You have a simple heart indeed if you think the Red Mountain Devil is worthy of trust." refusing to call the beast by it's shorter moniker "This is a creature that has been preying upon the cannibals, making them it's supplicants and killing them when they displeased him. It has threatened us, it has threatened our companions and for all we know was the driving force behind the cannibals assaulting our camp and stealing away with Aerys and Gelik for their cookpot."

Despite his lack of physical size, there is a fire burning within Mihai's words "So tell me Anton - why is it that you think such a beast worthy of our trust?"


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis chuckled softly and decided he didn't have the energy to get involved in such a debate- especially as his oratory nemesis Nim was exceptionally quiet. He returned to the two familiars, bidding the others goodnight.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton tilts his head and purses his mouth in exasperation at Mihai's challenge, hardly noticing Aedalis's departure. "But that isn't the question. We don't get to say, oh should we trust the Chupa or not. There's also Aycenia over there on her hill, telling her lies -- according to you, lest we forget -- and casting her illusions."

The halfling throws his hands up in the air. "I'm not disputing that the Chupa is a horrible person who probably deserves to die too, and who might someday kill us all! And as I feared, this is ultimately just a feud between two top predators. All that I'm saying is that one has deceived us in many interesting ways, while as far as we know the other has at least dealt with us openly and honestly. (And has shown a surprising facility for teamwork.) That's all."

The excitement of the night finally catches up with the little outdoorsman; though tense in debate, Anton yawns involuntarily and covers it sheepishly. "How about we finish this in the morning? I'll listen to whatever you want to say, but then I'm going to bed. And we can talk about it more tomorrow, over breakfast." He yawns again and then stretches.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

No less strident Mihai counters "I trust neither and will not be bent to do either's bidding. The tree bound at least is limited in movements to her hill. As long as we stay clear of her abode she cannot harm us. And if the Red Mountain Devil truly wanted to deal with us openly it would actually make an attempt to talk to all of us!... Rather than just stealing away with only the naive and easily swayed."

As Anton moves away Mihai's voice follows him "Sleep on it if you must Anton... but do not think slumber will change my will"


In trying to figure out anything about Aycenia or the tree. Remember you can assist each other to help whomever has the best check if you want.

Knowledge Nature DC 20:

You have heard of something similar to this...once. It was an old volume referencing a tale of a Dryad who lost her tree. As the Dryad lay dying, a malevalent spirit merged with the tree and offered the Dryad a bargain. The tree would live again and so would she, she just had to bind with the spirit. Most Dryad's would refuse, seeing the nature of the evil that she would have to join with...yet this one didn't.
She agreed and became what is known as a Dark or Fallen Dryad. She lost many of her old powers but gained powers of deceit and treachery. She also turned from the love of nature to a lust for flesh and power, driven by the spirit that inhabits the tree.
The tree can be destroyed and with its destruction the spirit will be driven from it.

Knowledge Nature DC 25:

You remember that the Dark Dryad has powers of illusion that can be used often as well as, sleep, and the power to hold a creature immobile rarely. She can still use trees to transport herself but only once per day as her link to nature has been diluted.
The Tree of Shadows as it was named, it physically powerful, but has no magical powers other than it's link to the Dryad. It can grab and crush foes though.

please no peaking unless you hit the DC and no it isn't a CR 10 creature, just a rare one so more difficult DC...thanks!


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

When Anton was discovered to be missing, Nim was completely unaware as he sat resting alone, save for his wounded companion, in another part of the lighthouse.

At Anton's return and his reporting of his night time activities, Nim could only shake his head. He went willingly and alone with the devil? I am beginning to question his intelligence... Nim thought to himself.

After Anton had finished describing what he has done and witnessed, Nim was prepared to speak but the others beat him to it. Nim sat back and listened as the others debated the various points regarding the devil's trustworthiness and what to do about the new revelations about the dryad and her tree.

When the opportunity arose to speak, Nim sided with Mihai, adding, Neither creature has done anything to earn my trust. Quite the opposite in fact. The devil has done nothing but served its own agenda from the very beginning. If it truly had our interests at heart, where was it when we fought the cannibals? Both here and back at our camp? It did not fight with us...

And why did it withhold this information about the dryad until now? Why not reveal all it knew before we ventured to meet her?

As for this thing* you saw... my thoughts and feelings should have been obvious from the moment we met it. I had my suspicions but if what you have witnessed is true... then...

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 (+9 if jungle)

...go ahead and read the spoilers above as Nim relates what he knows of the "dark dryad".

Nim paused for a moment before continuing, Have you considered, Anton, that you have overlooked other possible explanations for what is going on here? For example, is it not possible that the devil and the dryad work together? Feigning enmity while actually working together? Or that both work for yet another unknown entity? All that we know about them both is what we have learned from them alone. Too much is still unknown, and the possibilities uncounted.

As such, I make no promises to either, other than to do my best to have them meet a quick death should either of them should interfere with, or threaten, us again.

I will travel to the blighted island for my own interest... and the devil can go back to hell for all I care...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

I forgot to mention, if it's alright with DM Stephen, then it's alright with me if everyone reads the spoilers for Anton and Chupa's Excellent Adventure. I just wanted to write an in-character account for the others to react to.

The next morning, after eating some fruit, Anton resumes the discussion of the previous night. I'm thinking back, and we kind of suck at keeping our disagreements private; so unless anyone objects, I'm going to assume that we're talking freely in front of the NPCs. "I'm sorry for ducking out like that, but I tend to say things that I regret when I'm hungry or tired. So. Mihai, Nim, you have both suggested that I question what I think I know. Very well: I would like for you to do the same."

"Mihai, I resent your judgment of my character, and I would like for you to consider that there might be a practical explanation for why the Chupa only took me: that I'm the lightest and sneakiest, with the sharpest eyes. It could carry me there in time for me to get close enough to see what was happening, all without Aycenia noticing us."

"And Nim, is it actually true that Aycenia can't hurt us if we don't go near her hill? I made the same argument as Mihai before; but now I want her dead as an abomination, and so that belief has become inconvenient. Which makes it easier to question. If you expect me to question whether the devil and the dryad are truly enemies or just putting on a show, then I'm also going to question whether we're really so safe from her here as I assumed."


Pezcock speaks up, Aedalis, what brrrput! do you think? Does it seem in a Chupa's nature to work closely with another evil being such as this Dark Dryad?
I have seen many oddities on this island...it doesn't surprise me that an odd Dryad and an odd Chupa may be here.
Maybe we should tell the Chupa what it wants to hear then do what we need to to buy more time?

BTW no one mentioned anything about part of the description of the Cannibal camp...V14...


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)
DM Stephen wrote:
BTW no one mentioned anything about part of the description of the Cannibal camp...V14...

I absolutely missed that bit when reading on my phone... And of course Nim did not actually enter those areas himself. :)

More to come in a bit...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Noticed it while updating the loot log, put it off for later, and then forgot about it. Whoops!

ETA: Wow, so this morning is only the 3rd of Neth? Just yesterday morning, we woke up after camping on Aycenia's hill? It seems like so long ago...


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

I have no love or trust for either of these creatures regardless of your little jaunt with the devil Anton. If the devil wanted to entreat with us it should of just land and talk to us rather then constantly sneaking up to individuals and taking them in the night.

I still strongly suspect he has had something to do with the cannibals attacks. He certainly could of taken a more active role in defeating them rather then "testing us" by letting us deal with them. I am certain that once we have done this task for him he will have no further need for us as competition.

Let us deal with him the way he has dealt with us, with deception and half truths. I am all for telling him we will deal with the Dryad if it will buy us and our companions more time. Beyond that if he continues to present a threat he should be dealt with.

I also missed that room note as well. So much for reading on my phone.:) Can we Retcon and ask some questions to the survivors about that room?


By survivors do you mean Aerys and Gelik? I believe you ended the two Cannibals that were sleeping...if so they never entered the tower...


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai waves away Anton's attempt to explain the Red Mountain Devil's actions, and takes the news of Aycenia's true nature gravely. He responds "Too much talk is spent of how we might fulfill one party's desires for us or anothers... and it masks the truth before us. The facts as we know now is that there are two major threats to us on this island, and possibly one upon the blighted land. It is also a fact that our thoughts cannot think only upon ourselves - but must consider the fate of our companions both here and at the ruin of the Azlant."

"We must act in best interest to safeguard ourself against both of the predators - the Red Mountain Devil and Aycenia... and we must do so without threatening the safety of the others. To lie to the Devil would buy time, but would also bring it's wrath heavily upon us when that time was spent. The dark dryad is also worthy of our fear... especially if it is not tethered to it's hill. Regardless, I would say our first task must be to re-unite our parties and determine where we will reside as a group. I would also invite their words on what actions should be taken forward... as they may need to bear the fallout if we act in vain."

To Anton more quietly and compassionately he adds "I do not mean to judge your character Anton, and there is merit to your trusting nature. But in a case such as this we must not let emotions cloud our view... Aycenia may be a monster, but so is the one who showed you that sight."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

"I agree that we need to find the others as soon as possible. I for one think that this could be a very nice abode -- with some judicious demolition, and getting rid of most of the cannibals' stuff." Aaand there's the opening for someone to mention V14, which Anton noticed and then quite forgot about in all of the excitement.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7
Anton Green wrote:
"...and getting rid of most of the cannibals' stuff."

"Well, getting rid of what is not useful, anyway. These inks have been quite valuable to me. And look at this," Tragershen says, holding up a small sack. "Refined flour! Who would have thought the cannibals would have something like that!"

As he walks the sack over to Pezcock for use in the meals, he pauses. "Gentlemen, the customs tag sewn on this says 'Jenivere'. How is that possible if the supplies on board went down with the ship?"


Maybe it belongs to the same person that used the Jenivere's boat? Maybe we should try to track and capture one of the Cannibals that escaped so we can question him? You probably should have kept one of the others alive for questioning from the battle if you could. We could also ask what is down in that hole.
Well, maybe there is just one left since it seems that the twisted Dryad had the other for dinner.


Morning of the 3rd of Neth

DM Only:

Encounter Dawn 1d100 ⇒ 39
Encounter noon 1d100 ⇒ 76
Encounter Dusk 1d100 ⇒ 67
Encounter Midnight 1d100 ⇒ 84
Disease Nim 1d100 ⇒ 73
Disease Anton 1d100 ⇒ 97
Disease Mihai 1d100 ⇒ 98
Disease Tragershen 1d100 ⇒ 34
Disease Corbrius 1d100 ⇒ 21
Disease Aedalis 1d100 ⇒ 6
Disease Aerys 1d100 ⇒ 73
Disease Gelik 1d100 ⇒ 77
Disease Ishirou 1d100 ⇒ 5
Disease Jask 1d100 ⇒ 50
Disease Sasha 1d100 ⇒ 11

What are your plans for the day? Go back to the old camp ASAP? Search for any remaining Cannbals?
If you push hard you think you can make it back to your old camp. You can continue to talk through yor situation on the path to the camp if you wish.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Are we doing any additional healing in the morning, or should Tragershen use a potion of cure light wounds? After Mihai's last channel the day before, Tragershen is down 9 hp.

"I think we should regroup with the other castaways. If our esteemed guides believe this is a good base camp to continue our exploration of the island, then we can move all of our people and equipment here together."


Gelik had 1 CLW left after his encounter with the Cannibals.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

As the new day refreshes his connection to Sinishakti's grace, Mihai gathers his companions and seeks to gird their loins to walk the path ahead.

Morning Channels: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim responds to Anton, What we know is what we have witnessed. And even that is suspect. The rest is pure speculation. And you should keep that in mind the next time the devil asks if you wish to go for a night time flight with it all alone...

As for the Dark Dryad? Normal dryad's generally avoid direct physical violence, preferring to use guile and charm to solve problems. While they are bonded with their tree, they cannot travel more than a few hundred yards without suffering debilitating illness. It can be done, but they would be more vulnerable.

As for this twisted creature? Who knows exactly how it has been affected? I would wager to guess that she still suffers the limitations to her travel, but is more prone to direct violence. The tree on the other hand seems more than capable of handling that for her. I would think that she would prefer to stay near her tree if only for the protection and threat it provides.

The thing that has me most curious about, is whether slaying one causes the other to suffer. Dryad's can normally bond with a new tree if needed, but this one seems to have lacked that ability and opted to forge a new alliance with the evil tree spirit.

After Mihai and the others have spoken, Nim remarks, I agree, regrouping with the others should be our first priority. I am really beginning to dislike leaving them at the mercy of the island...

IF the other cannibal survives.. we can always hunt him later. Or we could ask the devil. It seems to know everything about everything. Ask IT what is down the hole... Nim shoots a wolfish grin Anton's direction.

At Tragershen's revelation Nim comments, In all this talk of devil this... and dark dryad that... and blighted island, we have forgotten the most pressing issue at hand. What happened aboard the 'Jenivere' and who came ashore afterwards? Perhaps we have our answer as to who is behind some of the goings on. This mystery person has possibly set plans in motion against us, as to not interfere with whatever drove them to this place.

Funny the devil did not mention this "guest" of the cannibals either...

Nim is fully refreshed by Mihai's blessing, his wounds reduced to red scars. Wicewakan is bolstered, but is still hurting after a full nights rest. Nim at full HP, Wic gets +7 channel and +2 natural for a total of 16 of 23 HP


I will assume you retcon any healing before you leave to go to the old camp.

With Gelik and Aerys in tow you head off down the paths. You make quick work of the jungle and cover 2/3 of the way before the lunch rains. You start up again after the rain and head NE into the jungle. By luck of maybe just a group of 8 people moving through the jungle you make it back to your camp as evening starts to fall.

You find Sasha, Jask, and Ishirou shaken, but alive and well. Their tale supports Geliks version. The three of them fled when they were overrun. Shasha eventually tracked them down and pulled them all back together before the jungle took them. They waited here for the next two days hoping for you to return. Had you not returned by tomorrow morning they were going to head out on their own and try to fight the Cannibals as best they could, tired of being on the defensive.

You rest at your old camp and wake up the next morning hopeful that this will be a better day.

Anton:

You are able to read a good portion of Aerys book. You think you have about two more nights left to finish it.

Morning of the 4th of Neth

Lead the others back to the Cannibal camp?


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Sasha:
At a quiet moment, Tragershen will say "I am impressed that you were able to track and assemble the others together through the jungle. I have a deep admiration for those with practical knowledge. Indeed, a bit of envy since so much of my knowledge is... esoteric. I'm sorry you are abandoned on this island, but I consider your companionship a boon to me." The elf nows seems to have a tone of admiration for Sasha that previously was reserved for Anton and Nim.

Jask:
When he can, Tragershen will pull Jask aside and let him know "The Brine Devil ledgers are still safe here within my waterproof bag. I just wanted to reassure you they had not been lost in all of the confusion and conflict with the cannibals. Your day of redemption is still on the horizon, my friend." Tragershen will continue to carry the logs unless Jask makes it clear that he wants to take over their care.

"While these ruins have been fruitful and provided us with much needed shelter, I think the other camp may be a better position for us to continue exploring the island and perhaps more easily defended. What do you think?" he asks openly of the others.


After some passionate kisses with Nim, We should go to this tower. While I can survive in the wilds some can not. If it is more defensible then even better.

Tragershen:

We all play our part Tragershen. You have magics that I can not understand, I have skills to survive in the wilds. You have Nim and Anton with you so you don't have to worry about those sorts of things. You will prove you own worth!


I agree, the tower!

Tragershen:

He graps you by the shoulders, Thank you my friend, you hold on to them, I feel they will be safer with you. Even if I don't make it off this island, will you promise to take them to the government for me, to clear my name?
Also, as soon as we get to the tower I want to show you the mantra I mentioned to you. It will take you a few days of practice, but you will find it invaluable in your magics!


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Flextime: yesterday morning (3rd of Neth)

Niɱ wrote:
Nim responds to Anton, What we know is what we have witnessed. And even that is suspect. The rest is pure speculation. And you should keep that in mind the next time the devil asks if you wish to go for a night time flight with it all alone...

Anton replies mildly. "You make it sound so unreasonable, when the Chupa could've just snatched me up anyway; but he wants something from us, and I couldn't report what he wanted us to know unless I returned safely."

Niɱ wrote:
The thing that has me most curious about, is whether slaying one causes the other to suffer. Dryad's can normally bond with a new tree if needed, but this one seems to have lacked that ability and opted to forge a new alliance with the evil tree spirit.

The little ranger grins in a not-very-nice way. "I don't know about that, but I've been thinking about how to kill her monstrous tree. Since I've been using Larissia's wayfinder, there's some spare lantern oil that I've been leaving at camp. What I'm picturing is that I could sneak up and plant those flasks at the banyon's base, then sneak back and toss some alchemist's fire that I've been saving for a special occasion. This seems like just such an occasion."

Niɱ wrote:

At Tragershen's revelation Nim comments, In all this talk of devil this... and dark dryad that... and blighted island, we have forgotten the most pressing issue at hand. What happened aboard the 'Jenivere' and who came ashore afterwards? Perhaps we have our answer as to who is behind some of the goings on. This mystery person has possibly set plans in motion against us, as to not interfere with whatever drove them to this place.

Funny the devil did not mention this "guest" of the cannibals either...

Anton replies slowly. "Nooo... but maybe someone else did. Aycenia mentioned another who arrived the same day as us. We were, uh, preoccupied at the time; but now it seems like quite a coincidence."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

It looks like Tragershen, Anton, Aedalis, and Corbius have all expressed in favor of the would-be lighthouse.

Yesterday night (3rd of Neth)

Facing the north star, Anton sits and prays at Nora's grave for one last time, whispering to his memories. "I loved you like an older sister. It's been hard not having you here, but we're surviving. I know that you'd be glad of that. Happy trails..." Tears running down his face, the sentimental halfling waits for some time until finally taking in a deep breath, letting it out, getting up, and not looking back.

This morning (4th of Neth)

"Well, you already know what I think: raze as much as possible to the ground, aside from the tower and the guard structures protecting the entrance and watching the trail. But on the whole, it looks much more defensible to me." Yes, let's lead the others and move everything from the magic lab to the tower.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Aye back to the cannibal camp methinks.

Mihai walks along though is lost mostly into his thoughts, the Red Mountain Devil and Dark Dryad weighing on his mind.


DM Only:

Encounter Dawn 1d100 ⇒ 17
Encounter noon 1d100 ⇒ 82
Encounter Dusk 1d100 ⇒ 38
Encounter Midnight 1d100 ⇒ 22
Disease Nim 1d100 ⇒ 9
Disease Anton 1d100 ⇒ 93
Disease Mihai 1d100 ⇒ 90
Disease Tragershen 1d100 ⇒ 3
Disease Corbrius 1d100 ⇒ 44
Disease Aedalis 1d100 ⇒ 94
Disease Aerys 1d100 ⇒ 87
Disease Gelik 1d100 ⇒ 42
Disease Ishirou 1d100 ⇒ 9
Disease Jask 1d100 ⇒ 6
Disease Sasha 1d100 ⇒ 59
Disease type Ishirou Fortitude Save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
1d4 ⇒ 1
1=Boot Soup
2=Dysentery
3=Pulsing Puffs
4=Sleeping sickness

You pack up what goods you have at the camp and march as quickly as you can back to the Cannibal camp...now to be known as the castaway camp.

Corbrius:

When you stop for lunch Ishirou approaches you. We should recover the treasure soon. It may contain things that will help us fight the Red Devil and this wood witch you have mentioned. What doyou think? Should we come back here tomorrow and dig it up?

By the end of the day Ishirou is hobbling as you arrive at the camp and visibly uncomfortable. Futher examination reveals he has boot soup...

You bunk down for the night, luckily with no run-ins with the local wild life.


That evening... Nim, you and the others should check out the hole in the ground to make sure nothing will crawl out of it and attack us.
It looks like we have plenty of weapons now and some provisions.
Hopefully it will be a quick in and out and you can confirm the camp is safe.
What do you think?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Flextime: 3rd of Nethys

In reply to Anton, Nim remarks, I am merely pointing out that one of your 'trips' with the devil may not end well for you... and that it might happen sooner than you think...

I assume you have heard the parable of the frog and the scorpion? It is his nature...

Nim listens to the halfing ranger's plan to deal with the Dryad's carnivorous tree... raising an eyebrow as he does. I'll hand it to you that you probably have the stones to even try such a thing. I know you are quite adept at sneaking around... I just don't know if you will be able to pull it off. The tree or the Dryad may have ways of detecting your approach that even you cannot fool. I have heard of things that can sense the tiniest of vibrations in the ground... and the consequences of failure would be quick and brutal I would suspect.

Add to that my concern that your little plan may start a conflagration upon the island we cannot control...

Ultimately, I have no quarrel with the Dryad. If she stays on her hill and minds her own business, what do I care if she and her tree eat cannibals and annoy the devil. They both have it coming if you ask me...

And finally, there is always the possibility that what you saw was not true. An illusion of some kind... you could be planning murder upon a goodly creature of nature and her bonded tree... and doing the bidding of the devil as he wished all along...

As Anton reminds everyone what the Dryad had said about another landing on the island, Nim chuckles before responding, So now the devil keeps secrets and the Dark Dryad offers us the truth? I cannot keep it straight who we should believe?

In a more serious tone he adds, That is why don't listen to either...

Later in the day after trekking back across the island, Nim returns Sasha's affections upon reuniting with the castaways...

Flextime: 4th of Nethys

The following morning Nim helps gather up the camp supplies and haul them to the new camp at the lighthouse.

Wic +2 HP from natural healing for a current total of 18 of 23 HP

As we are now making this place home for the time being, burning it seems less necessary...

It would only make sense to deal with whatever lurks beneath our new base of operations... Nim replies to Sasha.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Ishirou:

Corbius acknowledges Ishirou with a friendly nod as he sits. I am glad to see you again my friend and even more happy to see you are feeling somewhat better then the last time I saw you.

Hmm.. I agree the treasure could prove useful for dealing with the challenges this Island offers. I must admit I am intrigued by what we may find.

Very well then we shall return tomorrow to dig it up at our first opportunity.

Corbius is happy acknowledges the others when they are found and is relieved to see that they have come to no lasting harm after the cannibal attack. He sets about helping to gather up the camp supplies and helps the others prepare to move back to the cannibal camp.

I agree as well Nim. I do not like the idea of having an unknown enemy lurking beneath the ground. We only assume that whatever it is cannot easily rise from those caverns. I do not like the unknown sitting right beneath my bed.

Tuning to Anton..Anton would you happen to have an extra hammer or club that I could borrow? I seem to of discovered that although Aedalis is excellent against living opponents it is not so useful against skeletons.

note spells updated for rest +2 hp for natural healing current 16/16


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Flextime (3rd of Neth):
Niɱ wrote:
Nim listens to the halfing ranger's plan to deal with the Dryad's carnivorous tree... raising an eyebrow as he does. I'll hand it to you that you probably have the stones to even try such a thing. I know you are quite adept at sneaking around... I just don't know if you will be able to pull it off. The tree or the Dryad may have ways of detecting your approach that even you cannot fool. I have heard of things that can sense the tiniest of vibrations in the ground... and the consequences of failure would be quick and brutal I would suspect.

At the mention of the possibility of the root-bound monster detecting vibrations in the ground, the little ranger furrows his brow, holding his chin and looking off to the side. "I.. hadn't thought of that. But.. what if I bound the flasks of oil to the alchemist's fire, and then threw it all from five yards away? The tree probably wouldn't be able to reach me; and if part of a co-ordinated attack, then the dark dryad would be too busy to do anything about it."

Niɱ wrote:
Ultimately, I have no quarrel with the Dryad. If she stays on her hill and minds her own business, what do I care if she and her tree eat cannibals and annoy the devil. They both have it coming if you ask me...

Anton gazes blankly as Nim speaks of not caring what the dark dryad does on her hill; then comprehension dawns, as the halfling woodsman realizes that maybe he's the odd man out for wanting the abomination dead.

Niɱ wrote:
And finally, there is always the possibility that what you saw was not true. An illusion of some kind... you could be planning murder upon a goodly creature of nature and her bonded tree... and doing the bidding of the devil as he wished all along...

Anton purses his mouth in annoyance, then shakes his head with confidence. "Nope. Not worried about that. Ort's account settled it for me -- which reminds me, we should really track down that last cannibal, if we can -- and then there was that whole kerfuffle over Aycenia not letting you touch her tree. I see that episode in a whole new light now, and.. oh gods..." The callous slayer of cannibals heaves like he's about to throw up. "I can't believe how close I came to eating that orange.. Desna only knows what it was, or where it had been." Looking nauseous, Anton holds his forehead with his eyes closed, and then collects himself by taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Corbius Jank wrote:
Tuning to Anton..Anton would you happen to have an extra hammer or club that I could borrow? I seem to of discovered that although [Asilande] is excellent against living opponents it is not so useful against skeletons.

"Sorry, no. I'll make you a nice club later, but there isn't time right now. But here, take the magic dagger from the Brine Demon to use while we explore that hole; the old woman kept her skeletons in a pen, so I'm betting that her 'ancestors' below are zombies instead."

It's a Medium +1 dagger, so no size penalties for you, and it can do slashing as well as piercing. Anton also has a mundane Small dagger (as well as a couple of blunt weapons if he's wrong), so he'll be fine; he just keeps that one in case of something that can only be affected by magic, since he alone has none.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai notes Ishirou's limp and attempts to aid him if allowed to...
Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton considers Corbius's query further. "You know, it isn't the most elegant thing, but it might be a good idea to take one of the shovels just in case. Just for now. Just so if I'm wrong and there are skeletons down there, you can bash them." We have a couple of shovels that we found on the Tattoed Lady.


So down into the pit? Any preparations such as spells or anything else?
Will confirm that from everyone and then start the decent by tomorrow. Feel free to discuss the statement from Tragershen around the Jenivere. Aedalis, are you still with us?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I am, just been playing Catchup today.

Retcons-

Aedalis seemed to approve of not burning the most hospitable location on the island and helped everyone to get settled. When he could, he spent a lot of time with Pezock discussing techniques and spells as well as chatting about Tengu life with the bird-like creature. He did not involve himself with lecturing Anton, although he couldn't say he disapproved of Mihai's stance. He did add briefly to the discussion in response to Pezock-

As I mentioned, I have made a great daeal of study of such creatures in my life. Chupucabra do not have illusionary powers or the cunning to work them. Unless there is a third party at work here, there is little reason to doubt what Anton saw.

He also chimed in when Anton mentioned another island visitor.

Perhaps whoever else Aycenia saw stayed in the guest room I spotted in the lighthouse?

Seriously people, Aedalis can't make the connection as he wasn't on the original ship but please, look at V14 (Guest Room with JENIVERE rations).

Finally, Aedalis asked the fully assembled group-

Does anyone here have the know-how to fix the lighthouse? Its almost complete and truthfully- its our best chance off the island. I'm not actually ready to leave it yet myself as we have found many promising ruins here, but it would pay to have our beacon ready to be lit.

Tragershen hasn't had time to scribe Aedalis the lvl 1 scroll yet has he? Please confirm MoB, thanks.

Present-

Aedalis cast Mage Armour upon himself and took his position towards the rear of the group.

The witches words made me believe there will be undead below. Not my particular area of expertise, but I have prepared magic I believe will prove effective against them.

Just before descending if we do descend at all but my vote is on it Aedalis will place his ward on Nim. If necessary, Aedalis would also light the way ahead with four bright lights Dancing Lights cantrip.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Assuming we go down, and I favor doing so, Tragershen will cast Mage Armor on himself as well. Tragershen will go down last, unless one of the fighter types wants to take that position.

"Keep an eye out for any sign of Jenivere survivors down here. It is possible that they, or some of their possessions, ended up down here. It may help provide answers as to what happened with that vessel."

I believe Tragershen had time to scribe the scroll for Aedalis the evening after the main fight with the cannibals; it only took a few hours to get Azlanti Luck dealt with for us.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Flextime: yesterday morning (3rd of Neth)

Aedalis Omathi wrote:

He also chimed in when Anton mentioned another island visitor.

Perhaps whoever else Aycenia saw stayed in the guest room I spotted in the lighthouse?

Seriously people, Aedalis can't make the connection as he wasn't on the original ship but please, look at V14 (Guest Room with JENIVERE rations).

Anton nods. "Yes, that's where I was going." Tragershen made the connection to the Jenivere in this exchange, and Gelik connected it to the skiff that we found in that nameless cove. "But here's an interesting thing: only one apparent guest of the cannibals, and Aycenia only mentioned one other arriving the same day as us.. and yet we have the captain's hat and Ieana's scarf, carelessly left behind in a carefully-hidden skiff."

"We also have the first mate's rapier -- which doesn't float, last I checked -- found on the same beach as half our number. That's at least two people too many. I believe that someone is trying to deceive us; and there would be no need for such a deception unless we were also betrayed. The only question remaining in my mind is, by whom?"

Aedalis Omathi wrote:

Finally, Aedalis asked the fully assembled group-

Does anyone here have the know-how to fix the lighthouse? Its almost complete and truthfully- its our best chance off the island. I'm not actually ready to leave it yet myself as we have found many promising ruins here, but it would pay to have our beacon ready to be lit.

Anton started bugging Tragershen to teach him engineering when he realized that he couldn't fix the mechanism for the magic lab's hatch -- no really, I don't have the post handy but it isn't a retcon. (I'm pretty sure that he's also been bugging you guys to teach him Azlanti, or at least I meant for him to.) Anton doesn't have anything to say right now, but ooc, he might be able to do something when he reaches 3rd level.


Tragershen wrote:

Assuming we go down, and I favor doing so, Tragershen will cast Mage Armor on himself as well. Tragershen will go down last, unless one of the fighter types wants to take that position.

"Keep an eye out for any sign of Jenivere survivors down here. It is possible that they, or some of their possessions, ended up down here. It may help provide answers as to what happened with that vessel."

I believe Tragershen had time to scribe the scroll for Aedalis the evening after the main fight with the cannibals; it only took a few hours to get Azlanti Luck dealt with for us.

You scribed the spells into your book that first night. You had one other night to potentially scribe it into a scroll so Aedalis could use it, just be sure to keep track of the scroll cost in materials.


Mihai Soarta wrote:

Mihai notes Ishirou's limp and attempts to aid him if allowed to...

Heal: 1d20+7

Jask accepts your help and ends up assisting you to work on his condition. Looks like he has a pretty good case of it and it has set in.

With your treatment and Jasks help you figure he has a good shot on beating it as you have treated him several times. Jask let's you know that he will keep an eye on him for you while you are off adventuring...

DM Only:
1st Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 11
2nd Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 14
3rd Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 24
4th Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 20


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:
So down into the pit? Any preparations such as spells or anything else?

Before going down, Anton will take an oil flask and light his miner's lantern. (Normal light in a 30' cone and a one-step increase out to 60'.) I assume that our overland speed to get here in one day included him using the Azlanti boots' longstrider effect; but if not, then he'll activate it.

When possible, I'll take 10 on skills like Perception, Stealth, and Climb. (The bonuses in my profile already take armor check penalties into account.) Unless he sees something right away, Anton will draw and load his sling staff, just because it would be easier to drop it and draw another weapon than the other way around. Oh, and he's expecting to be in front.

That's all I can think of...

1,801 to 1,850 of 3,325 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.