Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


1,751 to 1,800 of 3,325 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Nim's initial blow hurts the old woman badly and as she flees the combined blows from Nim, Anton, and Corbrius are enough to ensure that she never makes it to her destination...all stands quite except for the snoring and groaning of the Cannibals and the Shiv Dragon.

You quickly finish the remaining Cannibals??? and the Shiv dragon without too much trouble. Just as you finish, Nim shrinks back to normal size.
Let me know if you want to save any of them for any reason.

There are no other enemies obvious at the moment.
I will post up a map and description of the camp later today.

Bodies lie everywhere in pieces and most of you stand doubled over panting for air...recovering form the battle and the loss of adrenaline, you stand victorious over the Cannibals, finally.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai slicks the sweat from his brow with a sleeve and notices that his hands start to shake as he comes down from the adrenaline of the conflict. Looking around he sees that almost all of his allies still stand... but also sees Wic's fallen form. Moving to the wolf, he collapses beside Nim's companion and checks for sign of life...
Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Link to the camp: Cannibal Camp

Keyed areas:

V1. Shiv Dragon nest.
V2. Firepit:Near the base of the lighthouse to the northwest of the firepit lies a 10-foot-diameter hole covered by a lid of bamboo and
driftwood. This hole drops 20 feet down into darkness. A few stakes driven into the ground serve as anchors for earby coils of vines that can be used to descend into the pit.
V3. Communal Hut: The largest hut in the camp, this is where the male cannibals share living space—the females live in the chieftain’s room on the second f loor of the lighthouse.
V4. Guard Post: This guard post sits 10 feet above the ground on thick stilts, and grants an excellent view of the sea and the path leading up to the camp
V5. Storage Hut: This hut is used to store tools, food (including a month’s worth of dried human jerky), drinking water, and soe of what appears to be Gelik's items.
V6. Butchery: This wide area has an open wall looking
out over the prisoner pen to the south. Two long, horrifically
bloodstained slabs of wood serve as butcher’s tables.
V7. Prisoner Pen: Open to the sky, this muddy yard is
fenced in by a bamboo and driftwood fence. Numerous stakes driven deep into the ground provide places for prisoners to be tied with their hands behind their backs
V8. Refuse Pit: This muddy, 10-foot-deep pit is where the cannibals generally dispose of the remains of their meals, along with any other refuse they might have.
V9. Pen: nothing is contained within but you do see the obvious tracks of skeletal feet within.
V10. Old Womans Workshop: Malikadna uses this room as a workshop to prepare her foul-smelling alchemical mixtures, medicines, balms, meals, and potions. A search of the area turns up three antitoxins, two smokesticks, three tanglefoot bags, a thunderstone, six potions of cure
light wounds, and two potions of lesser restoration as well as enough materials for scribing up to 300gp worth of scrolls or into spellbooks.
V11. Old Womans Bedroom: This filthy chamber is decorated with hundreds of tiny bones and feathers hanging from twine. The place smells hideous—a combination of body odor, bitter alchemical waste, and monkey.
V12. Guard Post: watches over the entrance to the lighthouse.
V13. Lighthouse Foyer: Nothing of note.
V14. Guest Room: This room, once used for storage, seems to have been converted into a guest room The room contains a crude (but comfortable) bed made of driftwood and a homemade feather mattress, along with the remains of several meals—many of which are recognizable as rations taken from the Jenivere.
V15. Shrine to Thrune: This cluttered room has been decorated with all manner of relics and remnants taken from a wreck of a ship called the Thrune’s Fang, including its Asmodeus-shaped figurehead, which looms to the north as the centerpiece of this temple-like area. The room
functions as a shrine to the Thrunefangs’ history.
V16. Chieftain’s Den: The chamber is decorated with furniture, most of which is in relatively poor shape. A dented footlocker against the east wall contains several rotted bags, along with 4,200 sp and 180 gp.
V17. Balcony: This wooden balcony is built onto the side of the lighthouse and supported by a tangled mess of driftwood and bamboo scaffolding. Although it looks rickety, the balcony is quite stable. It’s a 20-foot drop to the ground below.
V18. The Light: The top of the lighthouse isn’t quite finished.

Spoils of war:
7 Scimitars
7 light wooden shields
lots of Javelins
7 Red pearls (50gp ea)
1 Monkey (Captured)
Wand of Vampiric Touch 4 charges
XP Awarded 1100ea.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

As soon as any standing cannibals are dead or gone, Anton checks Aerys to make sure that she's okay. Heal (first aid): take 10 + 5 ⇒ 15.

Mihai's last channel for 6 would've hit Aerys; is she conscious? Also, the Red Devil said that there were two taken; do we find another?


Sorry, meant to include that you find Gelik unconscious in area V7 staked to the floor. Will have another post tonight with some feedback from those two.
Also another big event will be occuring soon....stay tuned, probably post it up tomorrow.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Spare the witch's life if possible! Aedalis shouted as his companions went around the wounded to finish them. She could be "persuaded" to share magical knowledge of her spells with Tilsini...

On that subject, I don't remember Pezock having a familiar?

A grim deed, but necessary Aedalis said quietly as the battle wound down. With no real talent at healing, he busied himself with the captured monkey, realising it would still hold knowledge of the spells it surely held for the witch...

Unfortunately, Aedalis does not scribe scrolls into a spellbook or indeed scribe scrolls at all. There is a section on a witch's familiar learning spells from another familiar though- if the witch went down into negatives rather than killed outright, Aedalis would have shouted to not finish her. Note however- "If a familiar belongs to a witch that has died, it only retains its knowledge of spells for 24 hours, during which time it is possible to coerce or bribe the familiar into teaching its spells to another, subject to GM discretion." Not nearly as good as strong arming the live witch to force her to get her familiar to teach Tilsini spells though- especially as every spell takes an hour per spell level to learn, so 24 levels of spells maximum...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Pezcock has a raven named Melk (link). And Anton will help find jungle fruits to bribe the monkey with, once he's sure that the prisoners are safe. Survival: take 10 (or 20, if allowed) + 6.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Depends if the witch died or the DM was just 'wrapping up' with the assumption we finish her. If dead, I appreciate it :).


You check the witch but Nim's blade ended her life...-11HP...

Bah, there is enough issues with a witch learning spells as it is. I am house ruling that if you capture a witch's familiar, you can bargain with it for it's life.
By granting the creature it's life, it will pass along all of it's spells to it's captor.
Going back on that bargain causes a random negative permanent Major hex on the witch who breaks his/her word until the creature is brought back to life...thanks to it's Patron, whom you have made very angry!
Yes, Pezcock does have a Raven familiar...jackpot for Aedalis. Don't worry Tragershen, this AP is full of wizard spellbooks you will capture...


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Thats actually quite a cool mechanic *tips hat*.

Aedalis made sure the monkey was tightly bound before excusing himself.

Anton, you seem to have things well in hand here. I'm going to see what secrets the witch's familiar has to offer us... Aedalis said before making himself comfortable in the witch's hut... But before he entered it, he paused to address Pezock-

Perhaps you would accompany me, my good Tengu? I was particularly interested in one of the abilities you displayed, using two hexes in combination with one another... quite extraordinary!

Don't know if you want this RP'ed out or just have it done "behind the curtain" or via a DM narration. Any way is fine with me.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Assuming that Wic is not dead - and Mihai was able to elicit said information from the Heal check.

Seeing that Wic is not in danger of death, Mihai stands slowly and with great effort. The short but taxing battle took much of his energy and he has been left with a splitting headache. Finding a quiet space to sit, he drinks some water from a skin before pulling out his harrow deck. Calming himself and refocusing he shuffles, taking solace in the practised movements.


Mihai:

The cards are very odd today. They show you potential danger in the near future for someone other than you in the group, but also opportunity...

Wic is alive as is Aerys. You find Gelik shortly after that, also out cold. You are all weary and the tower seems like the best place to rest as the sun is going down.

Did you let any of the two sleeping Cannibals live to question, or just end them?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

If anyone wants to question a cannibal, then assume that this is excepting that one.

Anton sags and leans on his long-but-little polearm, relieved beyond measure at their success. There were times when he thought for sure that they would all die -- and in fact, he came close himself. Determined not to suffer any man-eater to live, Anton helps to finish off any of the cannibals that he can find, along with the Shiv dragon (which seemed rather ineffectual for all of its fearsome appearance and reputation).

Aedalis Omathi wrote:

Aedalis made sure the monkey was tightly bound before excusing himself.

Anton, you seem to have things well in hand here. I'm going to see what secrets the witch's familiar has to offer us... Aedalis said before making himself comfortable in the witch's hut.

The yard-high ranger nods at Aedalis's remark. "I don't get what's so important about that monkey, but I know what I don't know, if you know what I mean. I'll keep an eye out, and if I need you, then that's what signal whistles are for."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

If anyone wants to question a cannibal, then assume that this is excepting that one.

Anton sags and leans on his long-but-little polearm, relieved beyond measure at their success. There were times when he thought for sure that they would all die -- and in fact, he came close himself. Determined not to suffer any man-eater to live, Anton helps to finish off any of the cannibals that he can find, along with the Shiv dragon (which seemed rather ineffectual for all of its fearsome appearance and reputation).

Aedalis Omathi wrote:

Aedalis made sure the monkey was tightly bound before excusing himself.

Anton, you seem to have things well in hand here. I'm going to see what secrets the witch's familiar has to offer us... Aedalis said before making himself comfortable in the witch's hut.

The yard-high ranger nods at Aedalis's remark. "I don't get what's so important about that monkey, but I know what I don't know, if you know what I mean. I'll keep an eye out, and if I need you, then that's what signal whistles are for."


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

As the witch is cut down, Nim howls in victory while standing over her battered corpse. He then methodically helps in dispatching the the wounded and incapacitated cannibals. Seeing that his wolf and Aerys are not in any danger of dying he looks to the others before they begin looting and exploring the camp. We should chase down those that fled. They remain a danger... and more importantly, we should eradicate the flesh eaters for good! With my enhanced speed, skill at tracking and ability to move through dense vegetation, the chase should be a short one. They are also tired I would guess... or soon will be. (...and they have like what? A 12 second head start only? :)

Who is with me?

Nim is wholly uninterested in the loot... and trusts that things will be divided evenly and that items go to whoever can best utilize them.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai waves Nim off "Go, I would be no use in the chase... I will watch over Wic for you."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton looks torn, then resigned. "I need to stay here, in case any circle back. And I'm slow." Sitting down, he pulls off his ancient, amazing boots and offers them to Corbrius. "Here, these will help you race through the jungle like it's a footpath. And they fit me like they were custom, even though they were made by Azlanti your own size, so they should fit you too." The well-armored halfling flexes his toes and feet in unconscious relief at their unconfinedness.

ETA: I just realized that the magical garments resizing thing is from way older editions. Eh, whether it actually works or not, Anton expects it to.


You have seen how fast the Cannibals move...even with you enhanced speed you are not sure you can catch them...and they did go off in different directions as far as you could tell.
Remember, tracking is half speed once you lose sight of them which you have. If you stop to finish the remaining Cannibals and Shiv, that takes 4 rounds, move over + coup de grace the next round, so they have at least 7 rounds head start on you, a discussion will quickly give them a lot more.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I'm not saying it is feasible... but Nim would be inclined to try... we can just say he attempted to chase them down, failed and returned shortly after (while the others were exploring and looting the camp).

After returning from the chase Nim sits down next to Wicewakan. Stroking his head for a while, he decides to use his newly allotted healing potion upon his faithful companion. We should be ready in case those I chased or other cannibals return...

CLW potion 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Wic wakes and nuzzles Nim, still heavily wounded.

Taking in the camp for the first time with a critical eye Nim suggests that they burn the majority of it to the ground to deny it to any cannibals who may return... especially any "food" stores that may be left.

Nim's eyes fall upon the hatch the witch was trying to flee to. What do you suppose is down there?


When things have settled a bit an any attempts at chasing down cannibals have been resolved, Tragershen will say "Yes, I suspect the fled cannibals will return. They have nowhere else to go. As lone individuals I would question their ability to survive long in the jungle under any conditions."

To Nim and Anton, those that Tragershen has relied on as guides and experts of the land, the elf will ask "Would you consider this a viable camp for us? Would it be any better than the old temple we are using now? I would agree that if we aren't going to use it ourselves, we should see it razed to the ground."

With his low light vision, Tragershen will step to the edge of the pit and look down. He'll call over Anton. "I want to try an experiment, and I'd like your sharp eyes with me for it." Tragershen wants to cast Light on a stone and drop it down to see if any clues as to the pit's use are evident.


Aedalis stuffs the monkey in a sack for the moment, it makes a lot of noise for the first few minutes and then seems to settle down...he knows dealing with it may take a little time that they don't have at the moment, dealing with the current situation.

The rest of the group brings Nim up to speed on where they are and you now have Gelik and Aerys together, still unconscious as you try to gather your wits in the main area. In the distance you hear a roar from the jungle...it's unsettling but it seems a way off although you have to admit that you haven't heard it before.

You are on the edge of a peninsula, so you have an easy out for getting rid of the bodies. You all know by now the disease and predators they will attract if you decide to stay here and don't do something with them soon. As you think about your next steps and whether or not to stay here you see Tragershen move over to the trapdoor at the edge of the Tower.

He lifts up the wooden trapdoor.
You notice several things.
1st, there is a vine ladder with loops near the door. They look like they loop in to spikes set into the group near the opening.
2nd, there is a faint smell...it's hard to determine what it is.
3rd, the hole seems to drop 20' into a natural cave. From the light you can see the edge of the cave, so it must be at least 20' wide...there is nothing of note around the light.

DC 20 Perception:

You pick out two distinct smells, an ocean salt water smell and the smell of decay...at the bottom of the cave you do see some types of scuff marks or possibly tracks...

The sun is setting...and you still don't knnow what happened to the rest of your friends.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton doesn't hesitate in his reply to Tragershen's query. "This is an excellent habitat for humans, and also for people like us. I'd rather deny it to the cannibals by occupying it than by burning it down -- well, maybe demolish everything but the tower and guard post. But first, we need to go get the others; they could be injured, and this island is dangerous." Anton doesn't even consider the possibility that they were killed, assuming that then they would've been brought back for food.

Anton will make a point of rescuing Gelik's things from the storage hut, and disposing of the jerky: tossing the macabre foodstuff over the cliff with the bodies of the slain, if no one proposes a better solution.

Anton walks over to the pit at Tragershen's request. "Of course. I was wondering about it myself." Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23 The diminutive ranger's nostrils flare while he gazes intently down the hole. "Salt water, decay, and scuff marks. The old woman said that she would live forever by joining her ancestors; I'm guessing that she meant it literally -- that they're down there shuffling around -- and there's probably an opening to the ocean, too. I'm having second thoughts about settling here."


You look at the edge of the pit and it looks very difficult to climb other than with the rope ladder. You don't see any marks around the edge of the pit, other than the rope ladder marks.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis looked appalled at Nim's logic, as he returned from his brief detour to stuff the monkey into a sack. He did of course, remember to put air-holes in it.

Raze it? Surely you jest, good friend. This is the most ideal location to settle that i've seen on this entire island- and one of the most defensible. If the rabble that are left even have the morale to launch another attack... i'm confident we can settle Jask and the others here- and their numbers would be sufficient to run off what few cannibals are left.

Aedalis took on his "lecturing" tone as he continued in a stern tone of voice.

Not only that, but it is critical to hold this ground- the lighthouse represents our very best chance of getting off this forsaken island. Ships normally avoid Smuggler's Shiv, but if the lighthouse was operational... Someone would come.

With the attention now focused on the pit, he shrugged.

This pit is easy to watch and easier to defend- a single rope ladder hardly makes for a strong assault. We should rest and make camp for now and clear it of these "ancestors" on the morrow. Is there any chance Nim could use Anton's boots and gather the others here before nightfall?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

As weary as he is, Anton perks up at the idea of getting the lighthouse working -- and then looks rather agitated at the suggestion of Nim going off on his own. "Frankly, I don't want any of you out of my sight until we have everyone back together and healed up, with defenses prepared. And I'm very worried about the others. As much as I hate traveling at night, I'm inclined to just go there right now."

Knowledge (nature) to identify the roar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I am loathe to leave this place undefended to travel there together and accompany them tomorrow though... Aedalis mused.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Corbius grimly wipes his rapier on one of the fallen cannibals before sheathing it. As he looks at Nim It is not worth pursuing those ones Nim. I doubt they will get very far after all. I am sure that black devil has already dealt with them as he did when they attacked us last time. Even if they were to live, I doubt they will have any interest in returning soon. Straightening he looks over at the dead witch. It is a shame we could not ask her some questions. I am certain that she could confirm that the chupacabra has been using them, as well as us, all this time.

Corbius helps Anton dispose of the bodies so as not to draw in predators. He then goes to look at the pit with the others. Confident that it represents no immediate threat to the party he rests a near the fire while listening to the others discuss what they should do.

I agree this would make a much better camp then our current one having more shelter, room and being more defensible. As well, it would likely bring the morale of the others up to sleep in real shelters not cower below ground in a cave and the lighthouse might give them some false hope of rescue. However, I really doubt that a glowing light coming from a haunted island is likely to draw in a lot of rescuers.

Rising from the ground he squints at the horizon trying to judge how much light is left. All that matters right now is the others. I think we, or some of us, should head back to get the others now. I am loathe to think they might need us while we hide here waiting for the safety of the morning.

It is unlikely that something is going to move into this camp overnight and even if the others return they will not be able to hold this place any longer after losing so many. We have only 3 nights before that black devil turns his attention on us. I say we not waste valuable time by hiding here.

Sur


You could always get Aerys and Gelik conscious...they might be able to tell you more...prod, prod...


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Been leaving that to our resident healer. Aedalis can hex them or fatigue them, if that will help ;).


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai gathers all who are still hurt around the insensate forms of those they came to rescue before calling upon the last of Sinashakti's grace that he can muster...
Channel 1d6 ⇒ 2


"In our planning, remember that we still have the Red Mountain Devil out there and its demands and ultimatums are upon us." He says no more, knowing the sneaky creature could be any where listeneing.


The healing doesn't wake Aerys after the strike from the wand that almost killed her, but Mihai looks her over and her breathing is much better. He guesses that she will wake tomorrow morning...probably not feeling very well.

Gelik slowly gains consciousness though. What...what. Oh my...you are here...thank the gods! I thought I was going to be Cannibal chops. Those bastards jumped us and between the witch and her spells and the others they grabbed the two of us. I think the other's might have escaped. They sent a group of cannibals after them, but only one came back alive...I am guessing that they are still alive.
What are you going to do?
hearing your desire to g after them immediately, Are you sure that is wise? To split up again so weakened?

Of course you know that the little man is in a little bit of shock and probably still very afraid.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton sighs in relief at Gelik's account. "If they could repulse a cannibal attack, then with Jask to heal them, they should be fine overnight. I have to admit that I was really dreading braving this jungle at night, wounded, with our magic depleted. Let's bunk in the tower, then go get them at first light."

What the heck. You can't roll a 20 if you don't roll, amirite? Alarmed that Mihai's healing power failed to revive Aerys, Anton begins checking her over and trying to salve her wounds the old-fashioned way. Heal (treat deadly wounds): 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 4 = 14 But his efforts have little effect.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Seeing Anton's inexpert hands move to work upon Aerys' hurt, Mihai frowns before bodily stopping him. "Please, I am more suited to this task" taking bandage and poultice from his belongings to put to use. Over the next hour he tends to her gently, and surely.

Heal (treat deadly): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 Thats 1 HP per level plus another 3 from beating the DC by 5. Have marked off two uses of the healer's kit.


Aerys comes to with a gasp as Mihai fixes some of her wounds...

Mihai...Anton!, she hugs you both You are a sight for sore eyes. Where are all of the Cannibals, did you drive them off?

As you give her the story of what happened she shakes her head, I will never underestimate you all, you have proved your might again. I hope the others are okay as well but I agree, we should go for them in the morning.


You settle in for the night and decide to put the Shiv Dragon to use as dinner. Pezcock volunteers to cook it up for you and send Anton and Nim off to looks for some fruit to eat with it. Luckily there are several fruits trees near the camp.

It doesn't take long to determine that Pezcock knows his way around cooking. The Shiv shank is on the grill, he puts misc herbs on it and then slices up the fruit, sometimes squeezing so juice on the meat for extra flavor. By the time it is done your mouths are watering and several bellies gurgle in want.

It is one of the best meals you have had on the Shiv since you landed.

Tragershen:

You have a little time to try and put the two Azlanti spells in yor book, will take about 3 hours.
u

Aedalis:

You go into the tower after dinner and remove the monkey from the sack. It is wary and angry. You slowly bribe it with some meat and fruit and it eventually comes over so you can make contact with it. It recoils but the connection has already been made.
It's name is Thaltaki. You offer it it's life back, to become just a monkey again. You can RP it if you want but the basic process is for you to act as a conduit between Tilsini and Thaltaki. Once the magic has been passed, the memories and knowlede or magical abilities of Thaltaki will fade after abou 24 hours.
Here are the spells it knows:
1st: cause fear, cure light wounds, mage armor, monster summoning I, ray of enfeeblement.
2nd: hold person, lesser restoration, summon monster II, summon swarm.
3rd: Haste, Summon Monster III

Anything else for the night or ready to move on?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Since they arrived on this island, Anton has made a point of taking whatever tried to eat them, and turning it into dinner. (Except the cannibals, of course.) So he is truly impressed, and carefully observes Pezcock's technique. When it's finally ready, the hungry halfling bites into the dragon steak and his eyes close in pleasure. "Mmm." He swallows. "Wow. Thank you! Where did you learn to cook like that?"

When his belly is full, the little ranger addresses Aedalis and Tragershen. "So. I've decided to learn Azlanti, and I need to know how to recognize what spell someone is casting. I had no idea what that witch was doing, and it made it harder for me to how to respond. And if we find any more Azlanti ruins, I'll be in the front, so it would be good for me to know if a floor tile says 'in memory of Jane, beloved wife' or 'fire trap, don't step here'. I promise to study hard. Will you teach me?"

Can't think of anything else. Wait. Where were we at with Aerys's story? I've lost track.


You settle down for the evening, most of you working on your separate duties.

It is a quiet evening and the most secure location is the tower. Posting a guard at V6 allows you see outside and warn the others of anything approaching.

Anton takes first watch as the rest of you are busy...

Anton:

Anton you sit quietly watching the outside. The fire from the pit still burns low, illuminating the surrounding area so you have a good view of the little yard area.
You hear a swoop and the Red Devil lands near the fire pit facing you and looks directly at you.
It grins and speaks, You aress the one they callsss Anton correct? it whispers, Do you wantsss to find outsss whattsss the wood witch really issss? Come with me and I will sssshow you. I will not harm you. If I wanted I could just take you before the othersss could do anything, but thissss isss better. Decccide quickly, we have little time...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

DM Stephen:
The words are so unexpected that it takes a moment for them to sink in, but then Anton doesn't hesitate to whisper back. "Okay, but I need to tell someone where I'm going. I promised not to disappear without a word any more. And why are we whispering?"


Anton:

I don't want to ssssit and have a disssscusssion about it, yell to them you musssst go for a while and will be back...we don't have the time, deccccide now or I will fly off.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

DM Stephen:
The temptation is too much for a halfling to bear. His adult life has been defined by his self-reliance and passion for seeing new things. If he had the time to talk things over with his friends... but forced to make a snap decision, Anton agrees.

Anton yells, "I'm going to check something out, will be back as soon as I can."


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Flextime: Earlier...

Nim remains seated with Wicewakan as Tragershen and Anton open the hatch and peer into the gloom below.

He also remains quiet throughout most of the discussion regarding the camp and the other castaways... other than to reply to Aedalis when specifically addressed. I did not say we should burn everything... and the lighthouse would undoubtedly prove difficult to burn down... being made of stone. Nim smiles, something somewhat rare, before adding, And besides which, some of us aren't as concerned with getting off of the island as some others are.

Any mention of the red mountain devil causes Nim's hackles to raise... and to which a few choice words are added by the brawny druid.

Nim is pleased to see Aerys recover and Gelik return to consciousness as well. Nim presses them both for information about Sasha.

After the meal, Nim finds a quiet spot in the lighthouse to hang his hammock and get some rest... although he seems the least expended of the group.

I shall leave it to the DM to determine if Nim is awake or awakens at the sound of Anton's call...

And a little heads up, our XP total is now 4440. Meaning we are just 560 XP from 3rd.


It's really your call, it's been a long, hard day and your watch is only a few hours away.
Gelik and Aerys are asleep. Tragershen and Aedalis are probably still awake, they are probably working on some spell stuff. Corb is probably asleep by now and maybe Mihai. Anyways it is a DC 5 perception check to wake up at his call. The other's hear it, not certain how they would act, leave it to them.

DC 5 Perception or Aedalis-Tragershen if they go over to see what he is talking about.:

You awake to hear Anton yell something. When you awake and go over to where he is, you see something flying off into the darkness...you see no trace of Anton anywhere.

Anton:

You walk over to the Red Devil and he scoops you up easily, lifting you into the air and away from the lighthouse.
It is dark but the moon is out providing some light. The jungle is alive with life, you fly just above the trees marveling at what it feels like to fly. The Red Devil is powerful and an excellent flyer. It easily carries your weight and moves quickly towards the hillside.
It suddenly turns north and dives into the high jungle tree-tops moving through them in cover. It seems to turn but you are not exactly sure where you are when it suddenly and silently lands. You appear to be in the jungle a little ways from the base of a hill. It may be dangeroussss for ussss to do this…but you musssst be sssshown. Follow me and move as quickly as you can. Ssssay nothing just watch, be ready to move away quickly.
It moves quietly with you in tow. You climb the hill for a ways until you come to the base of a tall tree. It points to your rope, seemingly indicating that you should give the rope to it. It then easily scales the backside of the tree and lowers the rope to you. You climb as quietly as you can and come to a large branch near the top. He points you towards something a 100 or so feet away.
[i]Just over the crest of the hill is a dim light. You recognize the hill as you can see the open patch on the top where the wood witch and her tree majestically sat. It’s odd but you see the tree and another creature in this dim light. With your sharp eyes you pick out the scene.
There is a foul looking creature standing over a man on a crude wooden table. The creature is garbed similar to the wood witch but looks nothing like her. Gone is the beauty and grace and in its place is a reddish-green looking female.
The man on the rough table by his look it is one of the Cannibals. The creature seems to be doing something to him with its finger, slowly tracing around the cannibals body when suddenly the creature pulls off a section of his skin from his chest. The creature cackles before lowering the section of skin into its mouth as a treat. After a few minutes of this, it takes a hold of the Cannibals arm before ripping it from its socket. The creature then tosses the arm into the air towards the tree.
You had thought you had seen enough before a large maw suddenly appears on the tree and swallows the arm. You can barely keep your dinner down. Blood spews from the body, making you realize that the Cannibal must still be alive while this is happening!!!! The creature seems to be enjoying what is happening and the maw seems to be waiting for more parts…
The Red Devil motions you to go down the rope and then unties it before climbing to the ground on the side facing away from the creatures and the hill., You sneak back away from the area before it picks you back up and you start to fly back in the direction of the tower and your friends.
Do you sssseee now why I fight with it? Ssshe has a magic, magic that can make me ssssleep. I can not fight her by mysssself. I am not sssstrong enough. Kill her for me and I can help you leave thisss place.

You arrive in the yard or near it. It looks you in the eye, I will give you more time if you get the otherssss to agree to kill it. It then turns and flys off. You can interact with it while flying if you wish, we can keep that separate of this write up.


Tragershen carefully sets down his inkpen and rises to see what Anton is shouting about.

"Anton?" Tragershen turns to the others. "Anton seems to be gone. Maybe he's scouting a threat, or a possible meal source? But we should certainly keep the watch going; I'm reasonably certain I just saw a dimorphodon flying in the distance. There may be nests nearby."

Unless one of the others says something, Tragershen will resume his arcane chores.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai is tired not just in his bones, but through to his spirit also. He snores in a most assured confirmation of his enjoyment of the oblivion of slumber.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

DM Stephen:
For the first part of the trip back to the lighthouse, the little ranger is quiet with shock from what he witnessed, before questioning what he saw. "But... one way or the other, I've been subject to an illusion. How do I know that wasn't yours?" Then he remembers... "Oh. Right. We've heard about how cannibals disappear when they get too close to her hill."

Anton gets angry. "Is there nothing on this accursed island that doesn't eat people? Even the trees, now! I thought that we had finally found an exception..." The optimistic halfling takes a moment to mourn the loss of beautiful Aycenia -- is that even her real name? -- who never really existed. He sighs.

"Yes, I understand now." As I feared, a dispute between top predators. "I will kill that... *thing* somehow, and hopefully convince my friends to help. We will see who wants to leave, if they can; but I came to explore, and I'm not done. As for me, I will kill the wood witch and its horrible tree -- and then burn all the remains -- just because it needs doing."


Anton:

I have no magicsss like thissss creature, but I am the sssstrongessst.
Ruinssss...you mean left-over sssstone thingssss like the tall sssstone where you are now? Help me and I will sssshow you more of them...I know where ssssome are.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

[spoiler=DM Stephen]"...and if you should happen to want to show me some more ruins for doing what needs doing, I wouldn't say no."

I wanted to write in in-character summary for the group last night, but it was a brutally long day and I was wiped out. I'll have the time tonight after work.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Deep in communion with both his familiar Tilsini and the monkey Thaltaki, Aedalis was not aware enough of his surroundings to hear Anton's cry.

I think we'll keep it abstract GM- shall I go ahead and add the spells to Tilsini?


Yes, you complete the ritual over night...you are tired but not fatigued.

1,751 to 1,800 of 3,325 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.