Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Black Tom's Serpent Skull

Game Master Black Tom


1,251 to 1,300 of 3,266 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar chuckles:"We'll be hidden they will pass across the bridge and then they'll be trapped... Do you get it now. I admit you will do for a very good bait, though!"


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch shakes his head, breaking in, "It's foolhardy to make any such plans until we have a way to talk to them. You keep forgetting that little detail, Orcbane. Capturing one we can't talk to is just going to leave us torturing the damned fool for nothing. We need to scout out their village, not try to lure them in for no purpose. We might not even need to deal with them at all."


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

The dwarf shakes his head at Torch's words:"We can't scout their village. There's a tribe of them and five of us, and most of us are not exactly stealthy...", so saying Hrakar nods towards the whistling gnome.
"If we send one of us and he gets cought our chances decrease dramatically. Better to take down a few of the savages before we start thinking about anything. Maybe we'll get lucky and we'll find a way to extract information from the cannibal. Otherwise it will be one less of them we'll have to deal with later on."


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik puts his fists on his hips and frowns. [b]"I will not take part in a plan that traps the cannibals on one side of the bridge with me, and everyone else is on the other side. That plan ends in gnome stew."[b]

He has no answer to Torch's comment. Mainly because he has no interest in capturing anyone.

Gelik will help build a fire to attract a cannibal patrol, but he will not do so alone. He stays on the same side of the bridge as the majority.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

If I'm reading the map right, the bridge is the one at R12, right? Can we tell roughly which coordinates would hold the cannibal village/lighthouse?


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

"Master Gelik, can you fire the bonfire from this side of the bridge, for surely that would alleviate your fears?" says the concerned Aerys.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf watches the vigorous discussion with concern on his face. "I hope you've got a good plan for dealing with this group of bloodthirsty savages; I don't think we can take them all on at once!"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The bridge is indeed in R12 while the lighthouse is in S3, so there is a fair bit of distance between them.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik slaps his forehead in frustration, ignoring Ralf and addressing Aerys. He speaks slowly and carefully. "It isn't a matter of where I'm standing when I light the fire. I'm concerned about where all of you will be standing when the cannibals 'take the bait'. If I'm way over there, on the other side of the bridge with the cannibals, and you're over here watching, what is to stop them from killing and eating me?" He reiterates, "Come back over to the other side of the bridge with me, and I will happily light the fire and act as bait. The cannibals can then be ambushed as they cross the bridge toward us." The tactical advantage is so fundamental that the gnome can't understand where the communications disconnect is coming from. He tries to remain patient, but his face has turned an unnatural (for humans) crimson color.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar laughs:"They won't eat you on the spot! Everyone knows they like their meat cooked! But if you are so scared they'll just feast on you then I guess we can accomodate you. You are pretty demanding for a bait though!"


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Smiling at the man, Aerys "Well, one side or the other doesn't matter too much. Just we'd have been able to block their retreat a bit better if they'd been across the other side. Never mind, we'll all come over and help with the fire and organise the ambush."


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik sticks out his tongue at Hrakar again, and says, "Nyah."

He then smiles at Aerys. "Thank you."

Let's build a fire, dammit!


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

We are all the way on the other side of the island, guys. The only way this is going to do anything is if Tom takes pity on us and decides to throw us a bone.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

we need to know from him anyway. If it doesn't work we'll need to move on, but until we know for certain we need to wait. In other words: let's build a fire


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Depending on the scale of the map and the topology, it may not be that far from one side of the island to the other. At least by path, I wouldn't expect the island to be that big?

Aerys leads the way one at a time back across the bridge to collect dry and damp foliage for the bonfire, enough to make thick enough smoke to rise up into the air.

Survival 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 to gather wood and debris for the fire.

As she looks around the area, she finds it decidedly difficult to find any suitable material.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

At the very least, they might send a search party out (that we can ambush) to investigate a plume of smoke. You can see smoke from pretty far away, I think.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Very well, you build a fire on the far side of the bridge (I suppose). What then?


Male Dwarf Cleric 02
Black Tom wrote:
Very well, you build a fire on the far side of the bridge (I suppose). What then?

[ooc]We wait hidden, hoping some cannibals see the fire and check it out. After that.... you are the DM, you should be the one telling us! :D[ooc]


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I just wanted to know how and where you proposed to hide.

Oh well, just roll for initiative.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Ok, sorry for that, I didn't get you wanted us to hide in any particular spot. My fault I guess.

Initiative roll:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

I would have no trouble with BT rolling the players initiative, if you wanted to speed up the game a bit? Saves us inits for a day or so, then starting the combat.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02
Aerys D Mavato wrote:

Initiative 1d20+2

I would have no trouble with BT rolling the players initiative, if you wanted to speed up the game a bit? Saves us inits for a day or so, then starting the combat.

Sure, good idea


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

I dunno... the way's Tom's dice hate me... No, seriously, I'm fine with that too, if you decide to go for it, BT.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

1d20 - 6 ⇒ (13) - 6 = 7

I also don't have a problem with someone rolling my init for me.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Well, I like to have you roll your own initiative. It gives me some time to set up the battle and also gives you opportunity to state your positions and preparations. Incidentally, I still don't understand how you expect to hide from the cannibals when half of you don't even have ranks in Stealth, unless you are hiding under something. Oh well.

You gather the materials of the enormous bonfire and light it in hope of attracting the cannibals. In the first hour nothing happens, and when trouble strikes it is from an entirely unexpected direction.

Out of the blue sky dives a monstrous creature, looking vaguely draconic with leathery bat-like wings and savage teeth and claws, the size of a large dog but much more frightening.

Knowledge (nature) 15:

Spoiler:
It's a giant winged chupacabra, a supernatural predator.

It lands on Gelik and tears into him for 12 points of damage. Fortunately he manages to escape its grip.

I don't think I'll bother with a combat map for now. Let's just assume that you are within a single move of the creature, but none of you (except poor Gelik) is in range of the snarling monster (which is Medium and does not have reach.

You are up, all of you.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)
Black Tom wrote:
Incidentally, I still don't understand how you expect to hide from the cannibals when half of you don't even have ranks in Stealth, unless you are hiding under something. Oh well.

I assumed we were going to stand in some bushes or trees or something, but nobody jumped up to say that. :-)


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

I might be away for a couple of days, put this in correct order please

Hrakar slings his crossbow and shoots at the creature:

Attack roll:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Critical confirmation:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Damage roll (if critical confirms):1d10 ⇒ 9+1d10 ⇒ 2

Not bad!


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

"Aaaaaahhhh!!! I've been disembowelled!"


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf gives Gelik a burst of healing.

1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

"Gelik!" cries Torch as he rushes forward, scimitar already moving. Knowledge (nature) roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26. Torch uses ranger's focus on the creature, then attacks it: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22, damage 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10. Can anybody give me a flank for next round?


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys shouts, "Gelik, run!" as she takes her bow and fires at the beast.

Shortbow attack 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 - 4 = 16 shooting into melee.
Shortbow damage 1d6 ⇒ 6

Torch if you hold you action, until someone gets into a flanking position, then Aerys or maybe someone else will move to attack with melee.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

I doubt that'd be possible; I'm good with setting up for next round. We'll probably have to do some 5 ft shuffling to get lined up.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

You might be flanking with Gelik. He has his longspear and should threaten even as he backs away.

Greatfully accepting the healing, Gelik takes a 5' step away from the vicious creature, prodding at it with his longspear as he does.

attack1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4, +4 if it's a reptilian subtype creature
damage1d6 ⇒ 4

HP: 7/14


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Ok, I'm back. I see we managed to hit the creature pretty hard. Revenge is yours Gelik!!! :D


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

In spite of my craptacular rolls.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Well, on the off chance that I was flanking, I can add 1d6 ⇒ 2 sneak attack damage to my rolls.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Under your assault the creature bellows in pain and surprise and flies off. Only Gelik gets an AoO, since you are not yet flanking.

You can take a shot at it but it's already 120 feet away, flying to the north-west.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

"What was that?" asks a triumphant Aerys, smiles all over her face. She turns to Gelik, "Well done, you scared it off with your fight, Are you alright, it seemed to give you a bit of a nasty surprise?"


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

"Chupacabra," Torch answers Aerys. "Blood-drinking lizards. Pretty big specimen, though. Never heard of one that size before."


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar nods wisely to Gelik:"You see? It worked perfectly. You were a great bait, problem is we didn't catch the fishes we wanted but something else. But no problem really, fishing requires patience after all..."
So saying the dwarf heals Gelik with a rather wide grin on his face though.

Cure light wounds:1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys follows the beast as it flies off, noting the direction. "We best be careful if we journey that way." see points up and after the beast.

Can Aerys discern the direction on the map where the creature might lair. [ooc]Survival 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22[/ooc]


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Btw do we get exp for this encounter? It wasn't much of a fight but the creature was clearly defeated... and I doubt we could have dropped it, considering it attacked, got slaughtered and limped away immediately... Don't wanna seem greedy, but it seems to me we defeated the monster.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik stabs with his longspear as the creature flees.

AoO attack1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13+4 if it's a reptilian subtype creature
damage1d6 ⇒ 4

Spurred on by Aerys' tough talk, Gelik shakes his fist at the retreating figure. "Yeah, you'd better run!"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Just wanted to finish the battle, OK?

The monster takes flight to the north. It seems to have its lair somewhere on the mountain at QR12.

You get 320 xp for the battle. Will you go back to waiting for cannibals?


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Ok, I wasn't aware we had the chance to attack it again since he withdrew (I guess that's what it did). And I suggest we try again... taking a stroll into the enemy village seems a tad suicidal to me...


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf watches the creature fly off and ponders a bit.

Know (nature): 1d20 + 5 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 20 = 42

"A giant goat-sucker...you don't see one of those every day! Are you all right, little fellow?"


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys is unsure that the creature will be easy to follow, as it can always fly off somewhere, it could be a fools errand. "I say we wait close by to take on any natives that come to investigate. After all there is now a nice pool of drying blood from both Gelik and the flying beast. When they stop and look, we come out of the undergrowth or let fly with arrows, try and take them out quickly. If there are some trees we could climb up into, with some foliage for cover, then we would have a real advantage." say the swashbuckling women, with a hard glint in her eye.

So are there any trees that fit the bill around here? Or some other similar natural cover.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar agrees vigorously with Aerys:"That's the kind of thinking I like! And when the cannibals come we'll give THEM the same welcome we gave to mr flying ugly lizard!"


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 29/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik screams in Gelik's face. "No! I'm not all right you doddering old geezer! I just almost got eviscerated by some kind of dragon! A goat-sucking dragon?! That's a thing? Do I look like a goat?"

He pauses for a second, calmer. "Don't answer that."

Apparently less enamored with being bait, he slumps around looking for a likely bush to hide in, stopping only to sheepishly thank Hrakar for the healing.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf squints at Gelik. "I didn't quite catch what you said, but you look lively enough, so I think you'll live," he appraises sagely. He follows everyone else into the bushes passively enough.

1,251 to 1,300 of 3,266 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Serpent Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.