2E's First AP


General Discussion

101 to 116 of 116 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber

Xenocrat does bring up a good point in that the description of the AP does say it's a continent spanning adventure, where Daralathyxl is trufully more or less just in Avisten, Aashaq has taken her wrath far wider at least as far as what has been written about her, and us centered on another continent. Also as monsters no longer follow the same build rules, it would be very easy to make a red dragon who is augmented with unique abilities that act like divine spells without needing to give class levels.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aashaq is still CR 25 and since monsters in 2e are actually mathwise tougher than in 1e, Level 25 monster could solo four level 20 PCs in tpk <_<


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Aashaq seems likely to me, too. It wouldn't be the first time Paizo has adjusted a creature's previous CR for the sake of an AP, and with the transition to second edition it makes even more sense to do so.

Plus Aashaq is more likely to have cultist minions than Daralathyxl.


Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
Aashaq is still CR 25 and since monsters in 2e are actually mathwise tougher than in 1e, Level 25 monster could solo four level 20 PCs in tpk <_<

Even if the CR stays the same, an AP could easily involve cutting her down to size beforehand, or gathering allies, or any number of other in-theme activities to help the PCs assault a super powerful enemy.

For example, IIRC Iron Gods' final boss encounter(s) are:

Spoilers for Iron Gods:
A two stage final boss where the fight is anywhere from CR25 to CR20 for a 17th level party to fight. And the second stage is CR21 with a CR20/MR8 (Yes, mythic rank 8 vs. a non-mythic party) that can be deeply debuffed by the party's prior actions.


CorvusMask wrote:
Aashaq is still CR 25 and since monsters in 2e are actually mathwise tougher than in 1e, Level 25 monster could solo four level 20 PCs in tpk <_<

Right, that's why there will never be an AP where your antagonist is the Whispering Tyrant, at least not until there's an edition change where they can bring his power level down by tossing out the obsolete mythic (or class levels on a monster) rules.

Dark Archive

I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again

Al PF1 rules are obsolete.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again

I disagree; I am completely in favor of the existence of creatures far too powerful for any party to stand a reasonable chance against.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MaxAstro wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again
I disagree; I am completely in favor of the existence of creatures far too powerful for any party to stand a reasonable chance against.

Well yeah, those don't have CR anymore because they are too strong for CR :p

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again

On the Whispering Tyrant stream a couple weeks ago, Jason implied that 2E mythic rules would probably eventually be a thing, as he already has some ideas how mythic might work.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
MaxAstro wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again
I disagree; I am completely in favor of the existence of creatures far too powerful for any party to stand a reasonable chance against.
Well yeah, those don't have CR anymore because they are too strong for CR :p

Also, CR is no longer a thing.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Zaister wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
MaxAstro wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
I mean, mythic rules aren't obsolete unless they never plan to bring out cr 26-30 monsters again :p Which kinda would mean no Great old ones or demigods again
I disagree; I am completely in favor of the existence of creatures far too powerful for any party to stand a reasonable chance against.
Well yeah, those don't have CR anymore because they are too strong for CR :p
Also, CR is no longer a thing.

That is nitpicking, CR was replaced by NPCs just having straight up levels :P The term itself is irrelevant

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Thoughts on the final villain:
1) An updated and uprated Kaltessa Iyis would be interesting.
2) Given the prior history of meddling in human nations around Lake Encarthan, I'd say Choral is more likely than Aashaq and as likely as Daralathyxl.
3) I've been such a fan of the Staff of the Master item for so long that throughout PF1 I've looked to see if a non-Necromancy version shows up as treasure. Partly for that reason, I'm hoping for Ilkanir even thought it's more likely that mysterious person would cameo in Tyrant's Grasp or some future product.

Dark Archive

Who the heck is Ilkanir?


As I said in another thread, I don't think it will be Choral. I certainly hope it isn't - my Kingmakers killed him, and I imagine that's true for quite a few other people as well.

They would be disappointed to hear that one of their favorite fights got retconned out of existence.

Dark Archive

MaxAstro wrote:

As I said in another thread, I don't think it will be Choral. I certainly hope it isn't - my Kingmakers killed him, and I imagine that's true for quite a few other people as well.

They would be disappointed to hear that one of their favorite fights got retconned out of existence.

Kinda agreeing that AP post campaign bonus material being used in APs is lame for people who did actually use said bonus material for post campaign.

That said, if Choral WAS the bbeg of the book, you could just either have AP not happening in your setting or replacing Choral with another dragon

101 to 116 of 116 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Playtest / Pathfinder Playtest General Discussion / 2E's First AP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Playtest General Discussion