Custom Item: Gloves of Healing


Homebrew and House Rules


So, I took a look at the magic item pricing chart.
IF I'm reading this right, I could theoretically design a slotted wondrous item that lets the user cast a lv1 Cure Light Wounds on a command word unlimited times per day, for 1800. Like say, a pair of gloves.

If you were a GM that allows custom items, would you let this one in? Change the price? Ban it outright?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Darigaaz the Igniter wrote:

So, I took a look at the magic item pricing chart.

IF I'm reading this right, I could theoretically design a slotted wondrous item that lets the user cast a lv1 Cure Light Wounds on a command word unlimited times per day, for 1800. Like say, a pair of gloves.

If you were a GM that allows custom items, would you let this one in? Change the price? Ban it outright?

hahahahha.

c) ban it outright.

(my opinion!)


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I would either ban it outright or allow it at a price SO high, that one would not be able to obtain it until such a level that doing things like "unlimited healing" are routine (which, to be honest, I don't think it ever is).


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Remember, making custom items is fine, but you MUST compare them to existing items and make adjustments for balance. The table is a guideline only, not a hard rule.

There is a good reason that infinite healing gloves don't exist already I'm sure.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Now, on the flip side, if your intended goal was to basically have a game where everyone healed to full hit points after every battle, and you were the GM....just tell them that's what happens. "oh btw gang, we'll be using a house rule where you fully heal after every fight so you just have to survive. good luck!" No need to "make" an item to try to wiggle that in on the sly.

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Your item is about four times as good as the ring of regeneration which is 90,000 gold.

The ring of regeneration is arguably overpriced, but it serves as a good starting point for comparison.


Dennis Baker wrote:

Your item is about four times as good as the ring of regeneration which is 90,000 gold.

The ring of regeneration is arguably overpriced, but it serves as a good starting point for comparison.

Uhm, no. The ring works automatically, instead of taking a standard action. It also regrows lost body parts.

Id put a price at about 7500 gp, equal to 10 wands.


I'd possibly allow it. What's the appeal of magical items if you limit yourself to strict guidelines? Be creative and push the boundaries.

I personally wouldn't have it being sold anywhere, however. It'd be a one of a kind item with unique properties, available to the players after some harsh adventure. In terms of price I'd value it at around 15000 gp, but like I said, it wouldn't be some sort of essential accessory you could buy at any magic shoppe.

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

stringburka wrote:
Dennis Baker wrote:

Your item is about four times as good as the ring of regeneration which is 90,000 gold.

The ring of regeneration is arguably overpriced, but it serves as a good starting point for comparison.

Uhm, no. The ring works automatically, instead of taking a standard action. It also regrows lost body parts.

Id put a price at about 7500 gp, equal to 10 wands.

The ring works automatically at a pace which is nearly worthless to any reasonable adventurer who can afford it. At 1 hp/ round, a character with 90 hit points has to wait 15 minutes for it to heal them back to full. "Automatic" is pointless when it takes that long to use. The rate of healing is entirely too slow for it to be considered in combat healing for all but the lowest level characters. Additionally, the ring only works on one character, the proposed gloves on the whole party.

The rarely used regeneration abilities are a side show, I've seen one character in the past five years who actually required regeneration.

The fact that the gloves can heal 5 times faster out of combat and more important, multiple people is huge.

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Ellington wrote:

I'd possibly allow it. What's the appeal of magical items if you limit yourself to strict guidelines? Be creative and push the boundaries.

I personally wouldn't have it being sold anywhere, however. It'd be a one of a kind item with unique properties, available to the players after some harsh adventure. In terms of price I'd value it at around 15000 gp, but like I said, it wouldn't be some sort of essential accessory you could buy at any magic shoppe.

This was actually the number I was originally floating but it's hard to justify when the only other 'infinite healing' items in the game are vastly more expensive and limited to a single character.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

First of all, as folks in this thread have pointed out, the pricing tables are far from ironclad. They can be used as a starting point, but you really do need to compare with other items.

It also helps to understand some of the logic behind the pricing tables: Unlimited use is considered equivilent, by the tables, to an item with 50 lifetime charges or five daily charges.

This is because it is unlikely you will need a particular utility spell too many times on the same day, and won't use the same action in combat that often.

When these assumptions are bad, then pricing unlimited items the same as 50 charges or 5/day also becomes bad. Cure light wounds can be cast out of combat over and over, especially at higher levels, making this item a much better deal than buying wands.

Consider making the same item either 5/day (so while still really useful at low levels, it doesn't become a bottomless well of healing at high levels) or 50 charges (so it's basically a wand, but the fighter can use it.)


Interesting thread.

The gloves remind me of one of our favorite items from the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium; the Healing Belt. At 750 gp it's probably underpriced, but as a comparison, here's what it does:

Spoiler:

1: wearer gains a +2 competence bonus on Heal checks (continuous effect, requires no activation)

2: the belt has 3 charges, renewed each day at dawn. Wearer can spend 1, 2 or 3 charges at a time to heal damage at a touch (must touch).

1 charge heals 2d8
2 charges heals 3d8
3 charges heals 4d8

3: wearer can use the charges to harm undead instead of healing for the same amount of damage as would have been healed (touch attack).

The belt has saved many a PC.


You might consider that 3.5 had a feat(Touch of Healing) and class ability(Dragon Shaman) that allowed for unlimted healing (up to 1/2 hps) from low levels. I have allowed/played with both (as a DM and player), and neither has broken the game.

I would also compare it to wamds of CLW (750gp per 50 chgs). As was pointed out earlier, at higher levels it really isn't going to matter in most situations. In my high level group we buy wands of CLW and use them. They are dirt cheap in comparison to what we loot and are more than enough to get us back to full hps after a battle. Just choose how many wands you think it should be worth and multiply by 750gp.

The only situations when it might be an issue are at low levels, when 1d8+1 might keep up with DPR of foes. In situations with alot of npcs, where such unlimited healing could save alot of lives (say a war). And finally, in an extended "dungeon" crawl where you CAN'T just go buy a wand of CLW (or stranded on a deserted island, etc...).

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / Custom Item: Gloves of Healing All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Homebrew and House Rules