2011 Thoughts


RPG Superstar™ 2010 General Discussion


I was thinking that the RPG Superstar for next year could be a little different. I was thinking that instead of the winner designing an adventure that got published, why not a new base class

Just to change things up a bit

thoughts?

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

MerrikCale wrote:

I was thinking that the RPG Superstar for next year could be a little different. I was thinking that instead of the winner designing an adventure that got published, why not a new base class

Just to change things up a bit

thoughts?

Neat idea. I think the rigors of the contest are to showcase someone who can mesh a complete adventure (fluff vs. crunch, timelines, etc.) For me at least, your name as an author is a bigger draw than your name as a contributor. I think many of the top 8 do make contributions like this. Well not being the creator of a new class, that would be pretty cool.

Also in August they will be releasing 10 new classes so it might have to wait until next year (or the one after).

I think a new class would be a great contest though. Flavor in one round with the next round 'stat a previous round's class' (similar to the monster/villain of the last two years).


If you mean the APG, it's 6 new classes

Star Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8

MerrickCale; I think switching up the RPG Superstar contest this way would be pretty interesting & intense. It might be difficult to come up with an entirely new class... given what a lot of 3PP have done... and have it be new and different. Maybe a Prestige Class? And for flavor, maybe tie it into Golarion somehow?

Hmmm... I wonder how RPG Superstar 2011 will run this time? Will it be secret challenges, or will the contestants have an idea what to expect from challenge-to-challenge?

I had been playing around/working on Wondrous Items for a while after RPG 2010, maybe I should revisit my items/ideas, or create a few new items for consideration.

I hope that there is a villain challenge this year. (I have what I think is a pretty unique concept & stat-block ready-to-go).

Dean; The_Minstrel_Wyrm


One of the things I'm having a hard time with is that the new base classes in many respects look more like prestige classes. The new base classes abilities seem to be more powerful than the current base classes and more powerful than many prestige classes. If the idea is to design a prestige class I'd be all for it but not a base class.

If anything I think the base classes should be even more "base". Are you focused on divine casting or arcane, ranged combat or close combat, heavily armored or lightly armored. If you are a blend of ranged combat and arcane then you would likely qualify for the arcane archer, light armor and melee could be a monk or barbarian which would be elevated to prestige classes and not a base class because they're already (in my opinion) too specialized.

Imagine if we played our characters from 0 to level 1 where we chose from a batch of feats what our trained skills were, our weapon and armor proficiency categories were, whether we had minor spell abilities (ranger/paladin) , moderate (bard), or major (wizard, cleric, druid, sorcerer). Depending on what combination we chose we would qualify for certain "base" classes. From there we could progress into "prestige classes" or find ourselves qualifying for a prestige class without ever having a "base class". Its an idea and I'm sure not everyone shares but its my posting and I can go on a tangent if I want.

Ultimately I don't want to see Pathfinder go the direction of 3.5 where more powerful items and classes keep getting created so that more and more books can get sold. While Pathfinder is a business its a business that would be better not repeating the mistakes of companies that came before it.

Contributor

Lord Starmight wrote:
One of the things I'm having a hard time with is that the new base classes in many respects look more like prestige classes. The new base classes abilities seem to be more powerful than the current base classes and more powerful than many prestige classes.

Having seen the APG classes in action with the core classes in three different campaigns (at level 1-3, level 5-6, and level 14), I disagree that they are more powerful.

Liberty's Edge Dedicated Voter Season 6

Something that might be interesting, is if we design a base class and provide some story info for how this “base class” fits into the world and as the rounds go on, you develop a creature that is a natural enemy of said base class, develop an item that enhances said base class, et. al. Then through the progression of the rounds, you eventually develop a prestige class that builds on the base class.

Scarab Sages

I like the RPG Superstar actually writing a module. It gets published by itself and the person has to/gets to come up with a whole plot-line in addition to all the crunch.

I don't think we need more base classes.

Also, the module is a neat way to explore parts of Golarion that aren't that developed yet.


I don't know about base class, but something like "design an alternate racial feature" or "design a class variant" (both as seen in the APG) might be interesting and different intermediary stage tasks.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

I'd say stick with the adventure. I mean heck I designed a class, just not a Paizo published class (v2 will be out soon, vacation helped).

That said, I'm going to miss entering this year.

The Exchange

That's what you get for going off and getting published, man. ;)

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

Bill Dodds wrote:
That's what you get for going off and getting published, man. ;)

Not me, not been able to write much since April.

Silver Crusade

Would anyone recommend a wiki or other space on the internet that you can access from any computer and view your work while still maintaining security?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 7

LostSoul wrote:
Would anyone recommend a wiki or other space on the internet that you can access from any computer and view your work while still maintaining security?

I'm assuming that you're asking for this so that you can work on your Superstar submission at home and work without anyone spying on you (or failing the Google test for anonymity.)

Get yourself a Google account, if you don't already have one. Use Google Docs. You can access your saved work from anywhere you cana ccess google, but its still password protected.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

Ross Byers wrote:
LostSoul wrote:
Would anyone recommend a wiki or other space on the internet that you can access from any computer and view your work while still maintaining security?

I'm assuming that you're asking for this so that you can work on your Superstar submission at home and work without anyone spying on you (or failing the Google test for anonymity.)

Get yourself a Google account, if you don't already have one. Use Google Docs. You can access your saved work from anywhere you cana ccess google, but its still password protected.

Unless your work has it firewalled...

I would just e-mail my work to my home address.

If Lost Soul is talking about a place to access the PRD (assuming he can't access the Paizo site from work) I'd suggest buying a copy of the PDF and putting it on a CD Rom.

Silver Crusade

Ross Byers wrote:

I'm assuming that you're asking for this so that you can work on your Superstar submission at home and work without anyone spying on you (or failing the Google test for anonymity.)

You would be correct.

Ross Byers wrote:
Get yourself a Google account, if you don't already have one. Use Google Docs. You can access your saved work from anywhere you cana ccess google, but its still password protected.

Thanks for the idea, But does anyone know of anything that might have more diversity, like a wiki that is also secure?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32 aka carborundum

Not sure what you mean by diversity but I throw all my files into my dropbox these days.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2013 , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Steven T. Helt

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Having seen the APG classes in action with the core classes in three different campaigns (at level 1-3, level 5-6, and level 14), I disagree that they are more powerful.

Agree with Sean (it CAN happen!). Our ROkugan game has seen retreads of 3.0 prestige classes, Pathfinder core classes, we made up a new shugenja and samurai class, and we have some use of the APG classes. All told, there's a lot of great balance, different roles can be fulfilled without anyone stepping on everyone's toes (as a player I'm kind of bad at that), and the classes are still fun and unique.

I do think the antipaladin is a little strong, but that's not gonna stop me from playing him in the upcoming evil game.

Silver Crusade

Bump!

Contributor

Get a flash drive?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Get a flash drive?

More and more businesses 'lock' their USB ports so they don't work.

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Matthew Morris wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Get a flash drive?
More and more businesses 'lock' their USB ports so they don't work.

It seems to me that any employer going to that length and also blocks Google and such, is not an employer where I would not work on non-work at work. Is it just me?

Or you can go old-school and use one of those small pocket note-books that TV cops carry and keep it in your pocket. Or one of those young-teen diarees that has an actual lock on it.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8 , Star Voter Season 6

Curaigh wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Get a flash drive?
More and more businesses 'lock' their USB ports so they don't work.

It seems to me that any employer going to that length and also blocks Google and such, is not an employer where I would not work on non-work at work. Is it just me?

Or you can go old-school and use one of those small pocket note-books that TV cops carry and keep it in your pocket. Or one of those young-teen diarees that has an actual lock on it.

Discover card doesn't allow cell phones on the floor, because of cameras. I work health insurance, think about the data (personal data) one could lift in a day at my place of work.

I find the paranoia pretty justified.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32 , Star Voter Season 7

Matthew Morris wrote:
I find the paranoia pretty justified.

True enough, but I agree with Curaigh that after a certain point of securty stuff, its better to just either leave it at home or trust paper and pen than try to make an end run around the security system.

As far as what LostSoul wants, I'm not sure what he's asking for if the suggestions we've shared aren't helping.


Wikidot.com is a free wiki hoster, that allows for password protected wikis. I have a Wiki for my running Planescape campaign hosted there. Maybe that helps.

Cheers,
Azmahel

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Ross Byers wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:
I find the paranoia pretty justified.

True enough, but I agree with Curaigh that after a certain point of securty stuff, its better to just either leave it at home or trust paper and pen than try to make an end run around the security system.

As far as what LostSoul wants, I'm not sure what he's asking for if the suggestions we've shared aren't helping.

Aye, as a top operative for the CIA, I agree the paranoia is justified.

I question the work ethic on what one should be doing when one is 'working' :).

I dinnae really work for the CIA, but you probably knew that.


Curaigh wrote:
I dinnae really work for the CIA, but you probably knew that.

Well, a CIA operative would say that, wouldn't he?

Star Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9

Kajehase wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
I dinnae really work for the CIA, but you probably knew that.
Well, a CIA operative would say that, wouldn't he?

:)

Contributor

Matthew Morris wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Get a flash drive?
More and more businesses 'lock' their USB ports so they don't work.

Thank God my employer doesn't care. Or rather, our local IT guy doesn't care as long as you aren't looking at porn and you're getting your normal work done on schedule.

Contributor

Kajehase wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
I dinnae really work for the CIA, but you probably knew that.
Well, a CIA operative would say that, wouldn't he?

Two ex-members of my college gaming group (who moved away for jobs) had to have all of us interviewed when they were getting screened for their security clearances. One of them formerly worked for a government agency that they couldn't tell us which one it was, and the other one currently works for a government agency that they cannot tell us exactly who it is. We assume NRO and NSA respectively based on their degrees and such, but we always picked on them about being James Bond, about working with aliens on the weekend, killer laser space platforms, etc.

And one of my highschool friends probably works for one of those agencies too. At our 10 year reunion he wouldn't hang out with the guy who worked with the Federation of American Scientists (govt watchdog group) and only told us, "I work with computers in northern Virginia, you put it together yourself."

Small world. :)

Liberty's Edge Dedicated Voter Season 6

Todd Stewart wrote:
Kajehase wrote:
Curaigh wrote:
I dinnae really work for the CIA, but you probably knew that.
Well, a CIA operative would say that, wouldn't he?

Two ex-members of my college gaming group (who moved away for jobs) had to have all of us interviewed when they were getting screened for their security clearances. One of them formerly worked for a government agency that they couldn't tell us which one it was, and the other one currently works for a government agency that they cannot tell us exactly who it is. We assume NRO and NSA respectively based on their degrees and such, but we always picked on them about being James Bond, about working with aliens on the weekend, killer laser space platforms, etc.

And one of my highschool friends probably works for one of those agencies too. At our 10 year reunion he wouldn't hang out with the guy who worked with the Federation of American Scientists (govt watchdog group) and only told us, "I work with computers in northern Virginia, you put it together yourself."

Small world. :)

What I find interesting about the NSA (you aren't allowed to tell folks you work for them, you aren't allowed to tell folks where it is, etc.) but there is a sign on the the BWI parkway that says, "NSA next exit."

Contributor

Andrew Christian wrote:


What I find interesting about the NSA (you aren't allowed to tell folks you work for them, you aren't allowed to tell folks where it is, etc.) but there is a sign on the the BWI parkway that says, "NSA next exit."

I like the roadsign in Britain that has an arrow for a turnoff ahead clearly designated "Secret Nuclear Facility". :)


*pictures Russian intelligence officers smacking their heads and moaning* "These guys won the Cold War? How?"

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7 aka Draconas

And as I just noticed the RPG Superstar 2011 sign went up, it has got an official start date of December 3rd at 2pm Pacific Time through December 31st for Round 1 submissions. If you haven't begun writing or brainstorming your ideas for wonderous items, now would be the time!


How exciting! Paizo is so great to give us this opportunity!

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2010 / General Discussion / 2011 Thoughts All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion