Place Your Rant Here


Gamer Life General Discussion

3,601 to 3,650 of 3,910 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Jal Dorak wrote:
Hugo Solis wrote:
Rantrantrant...

Hey, that's three "rant"s.

You know what gets my goat? People who can't follow the rules of a thread and think they can post anything they please. I'm looking at you, Hugo! :)

Damn! I can't edit it anymore....

Sorry, got Courfool's habits from the start. Bad influence, I know but he and CJack got my attention when I started posting!

Dark Archive

Pet peeve of the moment;

Dismissive posts that tells someone to 'go read the Stormwind Fallacy' or whatever. I don't need to go do a book report to tell your punk @$$ that you are wrong, little man! Think for yourself. Argue your own darn position, and if you aren't up to the challenge of defending your own argument, back the **** down and keep quiet while daddy's talking.

Dark Archive

Set wrote:

Pet peeve of the moment;

Dismissive posts that tells someone to 'go read the Stormwind Fallacy' or whatever. I don't need to go do a book report to tell your punk @$$ that you are wrong, little man! Think for yourself. Argue your own darn position, and if you aren't up to the challenge of defending your own argument, back the **** down and keep quiet while daddy's talking.

See you have fallen victim to the David Fryer Fallacy which states:

1) you are not a min/maxer
2) Min/Mmaxers are the only ones who understand 3.5/Pathfinder
3) As a role-player, you obviously don't understand 3.5/Pathfinder
4) Your opinions and insights don't count because you don't understand the game and I am doing you a favor by even talking to you.

I call it the David Fryer Fallacy because of the number of times that munchkins, oops sorry "character optimizers" have approached me in this manner.

Dark Archive

David Fryer wrote:
See you have fallen victim to the David Fryer Fallacy

I respect that you at least quoted your own Fallacy, rather than falling back on someone elses.

Well, the arguments in the David Fryer Fallacy (which sounds kind of like a bluegrass band, now that I think of it), are all other people's arguments, but you put your name on them, so that's extra bonus clever for plaigerizing and stomping all over their IP. Quick! Copyright those arguments and charge anyone who uses them against you a nickel!

Hmm. I wonder if Oberoni and Stormwind are making money off of this.

Stay tuned! Coming soon to a thread near you, the Set Fallacy!

Scarab Sages

Set wrote:


Stay tuned! Coming soon to a thread near you, the Set Fallacy!

A yes, the Set Fallacy. I believe it describes a mindset that by using reasonable, well-articulated statements you can keep a measure of civility on a messageboard. It's a fallacy because idiots will always be idiots, and no amount of persuasion will change that.

Dark Archive

Yes but the only way to earn someone's respect is to be just as rude and inconsiderate as they are. What are you, some kinda n00b? ;p rotflmao

The Exchange

Yeah - I sullied myself (again) in the PF playtest by stooping to a fairly low level debate (to put it mildly). Sometimes the joy of battle overwhelms one and you lose a sense of proportion, but I managed to pull out of my death spiral a few weeks back (and I went on holiday for a fortnight too). So I'm kind of ranting about myself, which makes me feel slightly weird - maybe I should add rampant egomania to my mea culpa.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Jal Dorak wrote:
Set wrote:


Stay tuned! Coming soon to a thread near you, the Set Fallacy!
A yes, the Set Fallacy. I believe it describes a mindset that by using reasonable, well-articulated statements you can keep a measure of civility on a messageboard. It's a fallacy because idiots will always be idiots, and no amount of persuasion will change that.

Oh! I want that one named after me too!! Or is it only named after the person who identifies it not the one who falls victim to it?

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

/Rant

I would like to Rant against all the people who think the Wizard is all powerful..

Yeah on paper the Wizard looks powerful but people seem to forget the other half of the game.. the DM and opponents the characters are facing.

As a DM I never had to make up rules or use the hated 'Rule 0" I just made sure they were facing an actual challenge for their level.

This is a group game and as such all members in the group are needed no matter what class *though I have a special place in my heart for Rogues ;-)*

And especially at high levels the wizard may look like a god, but what they are facing also look like gods and can easily Neutralize or weaken the Arcane casters..

It is not about How powerful your character is but how the group works well together as a group to best face what is coming.

It is not the Classes that are broken but the DM if they allow a special class to rule the game!...

All classes have a neutralizer and the other members in the group need to take up the torch if one goes down *Wizards have a tendency to be targeted first*

The Melee need to protect their casters and take down the enemies when the caster can't get through the magical defenses of their opponents, and the Arcane need to help the group best to help weaken the opponents so the melee can take them down if the wizards can't get through their defenses.

If a DM is allowing the Wizards to fully control the game then they are not running the game correctly. Like I said there are 2 parts of this game. The players and the DM and the DM if they actually run a game at the level of the group he/she will see that the Wizard is not as all powerful as people keep saying.

If one person says that is not the DMs Job.. I am going to Scream!... Ofcourse that is the DMs job..And it can be done with out Using 'Rule 0.'

/Rant off

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:

/Rant

I would like to Rant against all the people who think the Wizard is all powerful..

Yeah on paper the Wizard looks powerful but people seem to forget the other half of the game.. the DM and opponents the characters are facing.

As a DM I never had to make up rules or use the hated 'Rule 0" I just made sure they were facing an actual challenge for their level.

This is a group game and as such all members in the group are needed no matter what class *though I have a special place in my heart for Rogues ;-)*

And especially at high levels the wizard may look like a god, but what they are facing also look like gods and can easily Neutralize or weaken the Arcane casters..

It is not about How powerful your character is but how the group works well together as a group to best face what is coming.

It is not the Classes that are broken but the DM if they allow a special class to rule the game!...

All classes have a neutralizer and the other members in the group need to take up the torch if one goes down *Wizards have a tendency to be targeted first*

The Melee need to protect their casters and take down the enemies when the caster can't get through the magical defenses of their opponents, and the Arcane need to help the group best to help weaken the opponents so the melee can take them down if the wizards can't get through their defenses.

If a DM is allowing the Wizards to fully control the game then they are not running the game correctly. Like I said there are 2 parts of this game. The players and the DM and the DM if they actually run a game at the level of the group he/she will see that the Wizard is not as all powerful as people keep saying.

If one person says that is not the DMs Job.. I am going to Scream!... Ofcourse that is the DMs job..And it can be done with out Using 'Rule 0.'

/Rant off

Been spending too much time in the "X is broken" threads again, Steve?

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Paul Watson wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
My Rant
Been spending too much time in the "X is broken" threads again, Steve?

:-p... and Shhhh my name is Dragnmoon ;-)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
Paul Watson wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
My Rant
Been spending too much time in the "X is broken" threads again, Steve?
:-p... and Shhhh my name is Dragnmoon ;-)

Sorry. Didn't mean to reveal your secret identity.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Paul Watson wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
Paul Watson wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
My Rant
Been spending too much time in the "X is broken" threads again, Steve?
:-p... and Shhhh my name is Dragnmoon ;-)
Sorry. Didn't mean to reveal your secret identity.

Us super Heroes need to keep that secret...If you missed how I got my powers... It is here.

Scarab Sages

Dragnmoon wrote:

/Rant

<snip>

/Rant off

Oh yeah!

The argument just becomes cyclical - wizards have been doing the same crap for around 30 years. Not much has changed in terms of what spells they can cast (only how the spells work). So arguing they break the game is futile, because obviously people have been playing the way they are and doing just fine.

Okay, my turn for a different rant (this is entirely made up):

[satire]"Hello, my name is Jal Dorak.

Allow me to enlighten you all about watching movies, since you obviously have no idea what you are doing.

I was reading a thread on IMDB on how anybody who watches Seven Samurai is an idiot, because Shawshank Redemption is a much better movie. It is shorter, has no subtitles, and is rated higher on the Top 250.

I will continue to discuss this point until I am blue in the face. Don't ask me about movies, I will only address points related to movie length, language, and position on the Top 250. Because everyone knows the Top 250 is 100% reliable in telling us what movies to watch. And if you watch anything but the Top 3 movies, you are wasting your life and have no business talking to me about movies.

I've watched Shawshank Redemption over 100 times, and I can say without a doubt that it is the best movie ever. Seven Samurai is so low on the list that I didn't even bother watching it - I can tell from the reviews on IMDb and from reading the DVD synopsis that it isn't worth watching and is therefore utter garbage and not worth my precious time.

Please discuss this, but remember you are already wrong even if you agree with me, because I am way smarter than you - I have the IMDb Top 250 bookmarked and can check it whenever I want!"[/satire]

Done ranting!

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Jal Dorak wrote:


I was reading a thread on IMDB on how anybody who watches Seven Samurai is an idiot, because Shawshank Redemption is a much better movie. It is shorter, has no subtitles, and is rated higher on the Top 250.

Don't let me ever ... EVER!!!111 ... hear you write anything bad about Kurosawa EVER!!! again. Even in joke. Now, grovel.

Scarab Sages

Tarren Dei wrote:
Jal Dorak wrote:


I was reading a thread on IMDB on how anybody who watches Seven Samurai is an idiot, because Shawshank Redemption is a much better movie. It is shorter, has no subtitles, and is rated higher on the Top 250.
Don't let me ever ... EVER!!!111 ... hear you write anything bad about Kurosawa EVER!!! again. Even in joke. Now, grovel.

No problem. Kurosawa is the deity of film. The post is entirely backwards to my actual opinion, so I do in fact think Seven Samurai is better than Shawshank.

Problem is, I refuse to watch Kurosawa on anything but Criterion stuff, so I still haven't seen Rashomon.

I think every true Star Wars fan should watch Hidden Fortress (I know having seen it affected my opinion of Revenge of the Sith - can you guess the scene I am talking about?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Jal Dorak wrote:
Tarren Dei wrote:
Jal Dorak wrote:


I was reading a thread on IMDB on how anybody who watches Seven Samurai is an idiot, because Shawshank Redemption is a much better movie. It is shorter, has no subtitles, and is rated higher on the Top 250.
Don't let me ever ... EVER!!!111 ... hear you write anything bad about Kurosawa EVER!!! again. Even in joke. Now, grovel.

No problem. Kurosawa is the deity of film. The post is entirely backwards to my actual opinion, so I do in fact think Seven Samurai is better than Shawshank.

Problem is, I refuse to watch Kurosawa on anything but Criterion stuff, so I still haven't seen Rashomon.

I think every true Star Wars fan should watch Hidden Fortress (I know having seen it affected my opinion of Revenge of the Sith - can you guess the scene I am talking about?

I knew you were joking ;-). I have Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, and Kagemusha on VHS. I think I might watch one of them tonight.

I was thinking of watching Seven Samurai and coming up with a town to be defended but did this barroom full of monks instead. Anyone ever do a 'Seven Samurai' style adventure ... it starts off with defense of a town and then flows into an attack on the bandit camp?

Hey Jal, I know you have your hands full with PbP but Franz still needs a partner ...

Scarab Sages

Tarren Dei wrote:


I knew you were joking ;-). I have Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, and Kagemusha on VHS. I think I might watch one of them tonight.

I was thinking of watching Seven Samurai and coming up with a town to be defended but did this barroom full of monks instead. Anyone ever do a 'Seven Samurai' style adventure ... it starts off with defense of a town and then flows into an attack on the bandit camp?

Hey Jal, I know you have your hands full with PbP but Franz still needs a partner ...

Off-Topic: Sure, I'll playtest a PRPG Monk. Give a few days to get my stuff together. Oh, I also have my sorcerer done for Kerrigan's (Janrith in my profile).

About Seven Samurai...we do have 6 PCs in our Red Hand of Doom game - not to spoil too much, but the real adventure starts off in Drellin's Ferry. But having this discussion, I'm going to play up the "desperate villagers" - I'll drop in a few references too.


Anti-Rant:

Today is my 21st birthday. Hoorayses!

Spoiler:
No, I'm not going to drink myself sick; a bottle of champaigne with friends will be all, thank you very much.

Silver Crusade

Saern wrote:

Anti-Rant:

Today is my 21st birthday. Hoorayses!

** spoiler omitted **

You young whipper-snappers don't know how good you have it.

Liberty's Edge

When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Dumbasses.

I was woken up this morning by my neighbour telling me someone had thrown a brick into the window of my car.

It's not the first time my car has been vandalized. The last time was the night of the day I called out some students for plagiarism (let them off the hook but scared the s!$$ out of them) and refused to change some B+ grades to A- grades (because the work deserved a C+ at best). I don't think that was the reason this time.

I think it was just some dumbass kid who smashed my window because he was bored and wanted a thrill.

I was a dumbass kid. I had a faux-hawk and piercings and all that look. I dissed authority and thought I knew everything. When I wanted a thrill though, my friends and I would do a random act of kindness. We'd sneak up to some old ladies house and shovel her walk before she woke up. We'd decorate a pine tree with Christmas ornaments. We'd play harmless pranks too. We never vandalized anything.

What possesses someone to do something like that?


Disrespectful Punks! hope your insurance covers it and your premiums dont go up.


Car woes abound. So do dumbasses. Red means stop, people. Not blast through an intersection at full road speed and nearly T-bone me. Thanks for taking out my front bumper, though; now I get to drive a rental and wait for my car to get a new one. At least it's a nice rental....


Okay, another fun Art School rant even though I graduated a year and a half ago.

I went to the MFA Illustration show from the alma mater tonight and was pleasantly surprised that H.P. Lovecraft's perennial classic "Call of Cthulu" was an assignment for the class on display. So, I was enthused.

Then I saw the show and I remembered what had bothered me and then bit me in the ass about art school: they were barely illustrations. As pictures, as art they may have been successful. But were they at all true to the source material? Only in a few cases. Call me a curmudgeonly traditionalist, tell me I'm "missing the point" but I think an illustration should reflect the source material.

I'm not saying that illustration is a direct "transcription" of the story: it doesn't need to be direct from the pages, it doesn't need to be exacting in every detail. But it should access and complement the SPIRIT of what you're illustrating. Your personal voice is reflected in composition, style, what you chose from the story to illustrate and the spin you put on it. But most of what I saw (and this isn't just Call of Cthulu, but almost everything there) was not an illustration: it was personal work made in a loose framework to fulfill an assignment. You can go scene for scene from Call of Cthulu and completely fail if you miss the mood and tone of the story. You can also barely acknowledge the story while ripping off an existing artist in almost every way and fail at making an illustration. Or (in like, two cases) you can do something interesting that you want to do while still remaining faithful to the source material. You can also say,"Oh if I throw in tentacles and s&$*, I can pretty much make whatever I want and it'll be Lovecraftian." It's a challenge to take someone else's work and complement it with original images, but that's the craft, people.

B+~~#~%!. Expensive f+&~ing b@%!~~~*. Go major in Fine Art and leave Illustration to people that actually like to illustrate. Illustration communicates and reads clearly, fine art is elliptical and intentionally vague to promote open interpretation. I can rag on the students all day long, but it's really the folks in charge that are f%%~ing up the program (that HAVE f*%+ed up the program). Don't hire fine artists to teach illustrators. Give REAL ILLUSTRATION ASSIGNMENTS TO ILLUSTRATION STUDENTS. While in some cases it's similar, they're different disciplines with different criteria. I walked out of that program with an unusable portfolio. I started over after I left, seriously. A year of work was useless to me because there was only one teacher that actually gave a s&+* enough to try and get us to make real illustrations. The advice I would give to anyone going into that program is don't forget: you're trying to SELL this. Furthermore, you're trying to sell it to art directors with serious deadlines that are honestly afraid of someone they can't pin down and say,"This is the guy that does this, this is when I hire them". Your work may be pretty and weird, but does it communicate a message? Would a client know what to expect, that you would stick to what they were looking for?

"But I just want to, like, express myself."

I don't know. Maybe I'm just mad because it was something that I loved that someone honestly kind of screwed with. Humor is one thing but... I don't know. You have to know WHY it's funny to put Cthulu into a Run DMC album cover (Drew Pocza, as an example) before you do it. I guess it's just the nerd persecution complex demanding that I hold it to my chest, screaming,"You don't understand! It's mine!! This is mine, you stick to what's yours and leave this to me!"

At least I know I'm not missing anything by not going in for the masters program.

Liberty's Edge

James Keegan wrote:

Okay, another fun Art School rant even though I graduated a year and a half ago.

I went to the MFA Illustration show from the alma mater tonight and was pleasantly surprised that H.P. Lovecraft's perennial classic "Call of Cthulu" was an assignment for the class on display. So, I was enthused.

Then I saw the show and I remembered what had bothered me and then bit me in the ass about art school: they were barely illustrations. As pictures, as art they may have been successful. But were they at all true to the source material? Only in a few cases. Call me a curmudgeonly traditionalist, tell me I'm "missing the point" but I think an illustration should reflect the source material.

I'm not saying that illustration is a direct "transcription" of the story: it doesn't need to be direct from the pages, it doesn't need to be exacting in every detail. But it should access and complement the SPIRIT of what you're illustrating. Your personal voice is reflected in composition, style, what you chose from the story to illustrate and the spin you put on it. But most of what I saw (and this isn't just Call of Cthulu, but almost everything there) was not an illustration: it was personal work made in a loose framework to fulfill an assignment. You can go scene for scene from Call of Cthulu and completely fail if you miss the mood and tone of the story. You can also barely acknowledge the story while ripping off an existing artist in almost every way and fail at making an illustration. Or (in like, two cases) you can do something interesting that you want to do while still remaining faithful to the source material. You can also say,"Oh if I throw in tentacles and s~!!, I can pretty much make whatever I want and it'll be Lovecraftian." It's a challenge to take someone else's work and complement it with original images, but that's the craft, people.

Please do explain more. (I may be running into this sort of thing in the near future, and am rather intrigued by the fact that some illustrators don't actually illustrate.)


My rant is about time wasting at the gaming table.

I have a group that I play with...
This last session we had one no show, he didnt tell us before hand so we sat around waiting, chatting and setting up for about an hour- then he rang and said he was not feeling well- he is usually good & this isnt my issue ( I dont mind this catch up time though it was longer than usual).

then we have one smoker, one mobile phone addict and one person who just seems to wander off from the table, usually just before her turn.

With all the going outside for a smoke,
texting/just gotta take this call,
shouting "it's your turn..." " I'll be back in a sec" "what was happenning? are we in a fight? did the fight end?"

I reckon we killed off about an hour and a half after the late start. Not to mention that it is a real struggle to create tension, as a player I feel bad because I dont want to tell the other players what to do with their characters but they have no idea who is the bad guy, who is injured etc they are not paying attention.

They are all good people- and it is not the problem all the time--

I just needed to vent.

Scarab Sages

Waste time is a problem and it is particularly bad when you are breaking in newbies to RPGs. The experience players slow things down either by hogging tactics or remembering previous experiences.

It is a turn off to new people. My wife, who is not a RPGer or gamer, finds it a turn off.


My rant is about Gary Vaynerchuk. Some people may know him as the social media entrepreneur who hosts a video wine blog. I'm not going to link to it because I don't want to give him any more coverage than he's making for himself already.

People flock to this guy for the power of his positive energy. What does this guy really sell? He sells himself under the guise of his video blog reviewing wine.

I find this guy to be one of the lowest forms of life on earth. He doesn't add any value to the world, tells people obvious things, and then markets himself off of it.

Nothing new. He just thinks he invented it all with regards to social media websites. What aggravates me the most is that people flock to him without realizing what it is. ITS ADVERTISING!!!!

People can easily sell their personality as quickly as they can sell a pair of pants. At least when you buy the pants you have something concrete.

Here's some advice: get up out of your chair, go out into the world, and make a difference in someone's life. Stop watching Gary Vaynerchuk.

Liberty's Edge

The WotC boards.

I popped on not ten minutes ago for the first time in probably two years and my GOD. I'd hoped the place had gotten better since I left, but Jesus! It's like a bunch of f@*$ing internet trolls have gathered into one place and turned it into the 4Chan of the gaming world.

That people act like some of the folks over there makes me sick. No. Wait. It actually makes me wish I could kill people with my mind.

*sigh*

The amount of stupidity and douchebaggery that can be located on the internet never ceases to amaze me. Gods how I hope that the people that troll those boards who seem to think they know how a game /should/ be designed put out a game and just, to put it in their words, fail.

*twitch*

Okay. Rant over. :D


The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
James Keegan wrote:

Okay, another fun Art School rant even though I graduated a year and a half ago.

I went to the MFA Illustration show from the alma mater tonight and was pleasantly surprised that H.P. Lovecraft's perennial classic "Call of Cthulu" was an assignment for the class on display. So, I was enthused.

Then I saw the show and I remembered what had bothered me and then bit me in the ass about art school: they were barely illustrations. As pictures, as art they may have been successful. But were they at all true to the source material? Only in a few cases. Call me a curmudgeonly traditionalist, tell me I'm "missing the point" but I think an illustration should reflect the source material.

I'm not saying that illustration is a direct "transcription" of the story: it doesn't need to be direct from the pages, it doesn't need to be exacting in every detail. But it should access and complement the SPIRIT of what you're illustrating. Your personal voice is reflected in composition, style, what you chose from the story to illustrate and the spin you put on it. But most of what I saw (and this isn't just Call of Cthulu, but almost everything there) was not an illustration: it was personal work made in a loose framework to fulfill an assignment. You can go scene for scene from Call of Cthulu and completely fail if you miss the mood and tone of the story. You can also barely acknowledge the story while ripping off an existing artist in almost every way and fail at making an illustration. Or (in like, two cases) you can do something interesting that you want to do while still remaining faithful to the source material. You can also say,"Oh if I throw in tentacles and s~!!, I can pretty much make whatever I want and it'll be Lovecraftian." It's a challenge to take someone else's work and complement it with original images, but that's the craft, people.

Please do explain more. (I may be running into this sort of thing in the near future, and am rather intrigued by the fact that some...

Sorry, never really got back to you.

The way it was before photography and digital retouching were the norm, illustrations were all over the place. It wasn't too hard to get work, so some fine artists (Andy Warhol?) started as illustrators to support their work for galleries, while some people made illustration their life's work. That's changed; now that there are a lot of galleries out there and fewer illustration gigs in a crowded marketplace with lots of competition, it's about as hard to get into a gallery as it is to get in print and make a living.

But the attitude didn't change.

Fine artists go into illustration programs either because they think it's a way to make a "day job" out of their art or because they feel they'll get more of a traditional education out of it. So you see people that don't want to illustrate going into illustration classes. Compound that with the fact that the fine arts department is usually in control of the first year of most art schools; with broad, general "skill" (and I use that term loosely) classes that aren't terribly applicable to your respective major. Compound that with the fact that (at least, where I went to school) they have fine artists teaching illustrators either in technical classes or in illustration classes. So you wind up with a hodge-podge mess of an education if you don't research your teachers (which is what happened to me).

What genius thought it was a great idea to have an abstract artist teach an illustration class?


Gene wrote:
douchebaggery

I like this word. I'm sure I'll find an occasion to use it soon. Thank you. :)

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Saern wrote:
Gene wrote:
douchebaggery
I like this word. I'm sure I'll find an occasion to use it soon. Thank you. :)

Agreed. It's been one of my favorites for years. You'll find a very appropriate use for the word sooner than you think...which is kinda sad.

Liberty's Edge

Saern wrote:
Gene wrote:
douchebaggery
I like this word. I'm sure I'll find an occasion to use it soon. Thank you. :)

My girlfriend loves when I call someone a douchebag, or accuse them of douchebaggery. It isn't used where she's from, so the novelty amuses her.

She doesn't like it so much when we're driving, though, I'm convinced they should change the name on the cars from "Student Driver" to "Student Douchebag" since that is all Houston driving schools seem to graduate...

(The last part was a rant, btw) ;)

Liberty's Edge

veector wrote:

My rant is about Gary Vaynerchuk. Some people may know him as the social media entrepreneur who hosts a video wine blog. I'm not going to link to it because I don't want to give him any more coverage than he's making for himself already.

People flock to this guy for the power of his positive energy. What does this guy really sell? He sells himself under the guise of his video blog reviewing wine.

I find this guy to be one of the lowest forms of life on earth. He doesn't add any value to the world, tells people obvious things, and then markets himself off of it.

Nothing new. He just thinks he invented it all with regards to social media websites. What aggravates me the most is that people flock to him without realizing what it is. ITS ADVERTISING!!!!

People can easily sell their personality as quickly as they can sell a pair of pants. At least when you buy the pants you have something concrete.

Here's some advice: get up out of your chair, go out into the world, and make a difference in someone's life. Stop watching Gary Vaynerchuk.

Never heard of him. Think I'll go check him out.

Spoiler:
I am such a douche.

The Exchange

Heathansson wrote:
veector wrote:

My rant is about Gary Vaynerchuk. Some people may know him as the social media entrepreneur who hosts a video wine blog. I'm not going to link to it because I don't want to give him any more coverage than he's making for himself already.

People flock to this guy for the power of his positive energy. What does this guy really sell? He sells himself under the guise of his video blog reviewing wine.

I find this guy to be one of the lowest forms of life on earth. He doesn't add any value to the world, tells people obvious things, and then markets himself off of it.

Nothing new. He just thinks he invented it all with regards to social media websites. What aggravates me the most is that people flock to him without realizing what it is. ITS ADVERTISING!!!!

People can easily sell their personality as quickly as they can sell a pair of pants. At least when you buy the pants you have something concrete.

Here's some advice: get up out of your chair, go out into the world, and make a difference in someone's life. Stop watching Gary Vaynerchuk.

Never heard of him. Think I'll go check him out.

** spoiler omitted **

That sir is a classic sign of douchebaggery.

Liberty's Edge

What brought this vinegar on?

The Exchange

Heathansson wrote:
What brought this vinegar on?

I seem to be a good mood today! It's been a while, so I guess I am just a bit rambunctious. I'm just messin' with you though so don't think I was being serious or anything.

I picked up some part-time work with a contractor-uncle of mine and he is being super flexible with my time available, allowing me to run my kids about anytime I need to and take off for anything I need to without losing the job. He seems to find me very valuable and is jumping through hoops just to have me around a bit.
It's a pretty cool feeling that I've been missing for a few years so I am just feelin' froggy. No offense intended.

Liberty's Edge

Oh, no; it was a punvitation....vinegar....douchery....nevermind.
it's so hard to be a sarcastic f+!# anyways, and on the interweb my usually dry delivery is nonexistant.

Glad you got some work, dude. My wife got a little weekend gig; it's one day a week, but I think it's good for her to get out of the house and be around actual adults...

The Exchange

Heathansson wrote:

Oh, no; it was a punvitation....vinegar....douchery....nevermind.

it's so hard to be a sarcastic f~## anyways, and on the interweb my usually dry delivery is nonexistant.

Glad you got some work, dude. My wife got a little weekend gig; it's one day a week, but I think it's good for her to get out of the house and be around actual adults...

Ooooohhhh. Wow, totally missed that. Yeah it feels good to be working a bit again. Even though it was 26 degrees out and we were siding a house! I didn't realize how much I missed the teamwork and camaraderie of working with people. Futzing about the house and running a kid taxi service seemed to put me into a funk over time. The extra cash for half-days of work is real nice also, I figure I'll pay off a few low balance credit card and get rid of those monthly bills in no time, then start saving for house projects like a whole house water filter system, some remodeling, and maybe springing for a Heat/central air system with humidifier for the house and get rid of the giant cast-iron radiators in each room taking up all my wall space. It's nice.

Liberty's Edge

meh...it wasn't that funny nohow...


/rant
I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THAT DAMNED COURTFOOL IS BACK!!! NOW HE'S STARTED PEEING ALL OVER MY F***ING FLOWERBEDS AGAIN!!!
;)

Liberty's Edge

Werecorpse wrote:

My rant is about time wasting at the gaming table.

I have a group that I play with...
This last session we had one no show, he didnt tell us before hand so we sat around waiting, chatting and setting up for about an hour- then he rang and said he was not feeling well- he is usually good & this isnt my issue ( I dont mind this catch up time though it was longer than usual).

then we have one smoker, one mobile phone addict and one person who just seems to wander off from the table, usually just before her turn.

With all the going outside for a smoke,
texting/just gotta take this call,
shouting "it's your turn..." " I'll be back in a sec" "what was happenning? are we in a fight? did the fight end?"

I reckon we killed off about an hour and a half after the late start. Not to mention that it is a real struggle to create tension, as a player I feel bad because I dont want to tell the other players what to do with their characters but they have no idea who is the bad guy, who is injured etc they are not paying attention.

They are all good people- and it is not the problem all the time--

I just needed to vent.

Sounds like every game with my friends. I know exactly how you feel.


Kobold Cleaver wrote:

/rant

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THAT DAMNED COURTFOOL IS BACK!!! NOW HE'S STARTED PEEING ALL OVER MY F***ING FLOWERBEDS AGAIN!!!
;)

Go CourtFool! Do it again to the runt!

Liberty's Edge

James Keegan wrote:

Sorry, never really got back to you.

The way it was before photography and digital retouching were the norm, illustrations were all over the place. It wasn't too hard to get work, so some fine artists (Andy Warhol?) started as illustrators to support their work for galleries, while some people made illustration their life's work. That's changed; now that there are a lot of galleries out there and fewer illustration gigs in a crowded marketplace with lots of competition, it's about as hard to get into a gallery as it is to get in print and make a living.

But the attitude didn't change.

Fine artists go into illustration programs either because they think it's a way to make a "day job" out of their art or because they feel they'll get more of a traditional education out of it. So you see people that don't want to illustrate going into illustration classes. Compound that with the fact that the fine arts department is usually in control of the first year of most art schools; with broad, general "skill" (and I use that term loosely) classes that aren't terribly applicable to your respective major. Compound that with the fact that (at least, where I went to school) they have fine artists teaching illustrators either in technical classes or in illustration classes. So you wind up with a hodge-podge mess of an education if you don't research your teachers (which is what happened to me).

What genius thought it was a great idea to have an abstract artist teach an illustration class?

I have no idea, man. Thanks for the feedback.

Dark Archive

When people go out to eat in the middle of a blizzard when it is BELOW FREEZING, THE ROADS A CRAPPY AND THEY HAVE THEIR LITTLE BABIES!!

Why would you go out in that weather, -15 below. TO have a Steak???

EAT.....AT.....HOME.

Make grilled cheese sandwiches and watch a movie/play a game.

People like who think that t is okay to endanger their babies life for a f'n steak need to be sterilized.

Thank you for listening.


I don't watch a lot of tv, but I saw an iPhone commercial at my sisters' place today and I couldn't help but scratch my head at the choice of music: The Submarines' "You, Me and the Bourgeoisie". They only used a few chords, but still: it's a peppy pop song about leaving materialism behind and trying to find a better life through not self-medicating by going to the shopping mall. And it was in a commercial that was basically,"Hey, now that you have this sleek new piece of technology to play with and display your status, why not get some unnecessary applications for it?"

I just think it's interesting. I'm not trying to say,"Wow, what a bunch of sellouts" or "Everyone's a hypocrite but me". I'm as bad as anyone, I covet things that I don't own yet, buy things I don't really need but I try to moderate it. And I don't have a problem with artists making money. But that song? In that particular commercial? They have some more catchy chords on their album: why not those? Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but it's interesting to me how that works.

And a lot of people I know own those things and say they're awesome. I'll buy anything as long as it's shiny and made by Apple. Maybe that's why the band let them use that song.


waltero wrote:

After having read all the posts (whew) I would like to take the opportunity to rant on a few things.

1) A What is the attention span of the designers/writers of this material? They pump out more stuff than Steven King.

It is called revenue my friend: cash, currency, hard-spegetti.

They need to keep producing material, so you will keep buying it.
Otherwise, what more do you need to buy once you invest in
the basic books.

Creative DMs who do not have to buy adventures, or the
latest books, are pure evil. WotC needs cash spending
game junkies who buy games as a substitute for love.
According to them, if you do not do this you are a
terrorist and hate your Mom.

waltero wrote:


2) Dogs and dog owners. Stop barking. Stop using my front lawn as a dumping ground, or at least have the courtesy to pick it up.

It is called a pellet gun. Preferebaly buy one

at a game store.

waltero wrote:


3) The growing lack of personal responsibility. Is noone responsible for his own actions anymore? Get hit by a car and get your check. Take a pill for some perceived illness. Blame society for a guy who goes on a killing spree. Sue Nabisco for making tasty cookies which got you fat. Stop it already!

You need to work three jobs and buy me food and pay my rent. Why?

Because you are so selfish and need to show you are worthy.

waltero wrote:


4) Language/grammar. If you come to America to make it your home, then become an American....

Wow, I completely agree with you.

ps. now get back to work!


It's alive! It's still alive! My creation shall never perish!

Spoiler:
Would adding in an evil laugh here be inappropriate?


Ok heres my rant.

I work security at an office building, and yes I work weekends (12 hour shifts) but thats not my big pet peeve. The biggest thing that gets me going like everybody else are idiots. On weekends since which are not normal business hours all the doors lock. Even I know that if it is not a business normal hours of operation the doors are locked. I get people all the time trying to come in and the doors will be unlocked. Then they come up with the same excuse "oh, I forgot my badge." Come on people think its sunday nobody should be here unless for overtime. And with that why would we have the doors unlocked, we are talking a worldwide company in the financial market would it be a wise idea to just let anybody in on that case. So come on think a little. PLEASE!! for my sake of sanity

end rant

boy that felt good

Saern wrote:
Would adding in an evil laugh here be inappropriate?

Not at all seeing how long this thread has lived I am suprised you havent already done so

3,601 to 3,650 of 3,910 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Place Your Rant Here All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.