Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide

Our Price: $49.99

Preorder expected July 2020

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Ready to go beyond the basics? Expand the limits of what's possible with the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide! This 272-page Pathfinder Second Edition rulebook contains exciting new rules options for player characters, adding even more depth of choice to your Pathfinder game! Inside you will find brand new ancestries, heritages, and four new classes: the shrewd investigator, the mysterious oracle, the daring swashbuckler, and the hex-slinging witch! The must-have Advanced Player's Guide also includes exciting new options for all your favorite Core Rulebook classes and tons of new backgrounds, general feats, spells, items, and 40 flexible archetypes to customize your play experience even further!

The Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide includes:

  • Four new classes: the investigator, oracle, swashbuckler, and witch!
  • Five new ancestries and five heritages for any ancestry: celestial aasimars, curious catfolk, hagspawned changelings, vampiric dhampirs, fate-touched duskwalkers, scaled kobolds, fierce orcs, fiendish tieflings, industrious ratfolk, and feathered tengu!
  • 40 new archetypes including multiclass archetypes for the four new classes, Pathfinder favorites like the cavalier, dragon disciple, shadowdancer, and vigilante, and brand-new archetypes like the familiar master and the shield-bearing iron wall!
  • New class options for all twelve classes from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook including champions of evil, genie and shadow sorcerers, zen archer monks, rogue masterminds, spellcasting rangers, and more!
  • Even more exciting new rules, from rare and unique backgrounds to investigative skill feats, from spells and rituals like reincarnate and create demiplane to new items including special wands with unusual effects and exciting potions worthy of a witch's cauldron.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-257-0

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Preorder, expected approximately 30 Jul 2020

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO2105


See Also:



Sign in to create or edit a product review.

151 to 174 of 174 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Dataphiles

Did the poisoner alchemist make it into this one? Having to grab rogue archetype and not getting single action poisoning until level 8 isn't a great feel for a class that creates poisons.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ly'ualdre wrote:

Oni, by Pathfinder standards, are considered Fiends. Under the new rules for "outsiders", Kami would have to fall under the category of one of the three class of Outer Immortals: being Celestial, Monitor, or Fiend. Given that most of Kami, void the Zuishin (which is LG), are some kind of neutral, one could argue that they are Monitors. But that only really works where Law and Chaos are concerned I think, since Good or Evil implies Celestial or Fiend respectively. A way around this could be to make Yokai their own form of Immortal, ones which aren't necessarily bound by the usual rules applied to the other Outer Immortals.

Yokai could be the neutral bound Immortals, able to go any direction in terms of neutral alignment, and then Kami could be the Celestial counterpart to Oni. Or Kami become the neutral ones and we introduce a third Immortal to Tian-Xia as Celestial beings. My recommendation would be the Tennin from Buddhism, which are basically angels.

Yokai is meant to also evoke certain monsters from Japanese myth, which, so far, has not been done in Pathfinder. Tengu, Kitsune, and Tanuki aren't considered Yokai by Pathfinder standards, only Oni, Kami, and ghosts/spirits.

If it were me, I'd use Yurei as the general term for undead ghosts or spirits, make Yokai a race of Immortals, divide the race into Tennin, Kami, and Oni, and probably turn Zuishin into a type of Tennin. But, that is just my opinion on the matter. In the end, Paizo will have to do something, because Kami, as they are, simply do not work with the way the new Immortals work now. As it stands, all Immortals seemingly must fall into one of four categories: Celestial, Elemental, Fiend, or Monitor, with appropriate subtypes where needed, such as Angel, Genie, Demon, or Aeon.

Since Kami have strong links with the natural world, Elemental sounds good to me.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

On a separate, more relevant note: does anyone else have an unbridled desire to start a campaign of nothing but Vigilante characters? My inner child wants to push a full Vigilante Ranger party and refer to them as Power Rangers. :D


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm so excited for this one, brings back a bunch of my favorite races AND evil champions.

I'm glad to see aasimars and tieflings become available to all races instead of just being various shades of humans.


Just take my money already, Paizo!!!


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ed Reppert wrote:

Hm. IIRC, Antipaladin was CE. Either way I hope they come up with a better name than "antipaladin".

The CE Champion NPC in the Gamemastery Guide is named "Antipaladin", so I have a feeling that one will stay. LE feels like it could be a "Tyrant", but that might be too generic of a name. I don't have a great idea for a NE name, it certainly depends on what theme Paizo goes for.

The Antipaladin's reaction - assuming it will be similar to the PC version - is to increase the damage taken on an attack against you, but deal that same amount back at the attacker and gain bonus Strike damage against that Target on your next turn.

The Lay on Hands equivalent is a damaging attack that reduces AC, or heals an undead creature and boosts their damage.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vaktaeru wrote:
That looks like a lot more than 5 ancestries: Aasimar, tiefling, duskwalker, kobold, orc, catfolk, ratfolk, tengu, dhampir, changeling? That's at least 10!

5 Ancestries and 5 Heritages that can be applied to any Ancestry. My guess is Aasimar, Tiefling, Dhampir, Changeling and Duskwalker are Heritages to be applied to any race, while Tengu, Kobold, Orc, Catfolk and Ratfolk are full new Ancestries.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh summer come so that we can get this! :)


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

it's snowing here. :-(


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Did anybody else notice that the following spells are mentioned in Gods and Omens?

Aqueous orb
Blistering invective
Mad monkeys
Threefold aspect
Vomit swarm

They're listed as being from the upcoming Advanced Player's Guide. :D


The GMG has a reference to the Rod of Cancellation as being in the APG.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Fun fact: Had the random desire to do some math. If one includes the 6 Ancestries presented in the Core Rulebook, the 3 added in the Character Guide, the eminent new Ancestry in the next act of Extinction Curse (confirmed in the "Next Month" section of Legacy of the Lost God act; which I presume will be Troglodytes), and the 5 Ancestries coming with the APG, and taking the 5 new Heritages being added as well; there will be a total of 75 distinct people that are playable in Second Edition since launch. This is of course not including the variable Heritages each Ancestry has, which denotes things like culture, ethnicity, nationality, and the like; nor is this including the likely "Sub-Heritages" we may see from options like Aasimar and Tiefling (such as Oni-spawn Tiefling and Agathion-blooded Aasimar). This number is assuming that options like Leshy can be Duskwalkers and Changelings. Given the nature of their birth, I'm not sure that is technically possible. But I digress.

This. This is why I love Pathfinder. The sheer multitude of options and routes one can take to create something theoretically original in this game is outright phenomenal. I saw a video recently where a guy took nearly every conceivable option within the Core Rulebook alone and came up with a ludicrous number. Not all of these choices are huge, but they are enough to create a unique story amongst the characters created. It's amazing.

Dark Archive

Ly'ualdre wrote:

Fun fact: Had the random desire to do some math. If one includes the 6 Ancestries presented in the Core Rulebook, the 3 added in the Character Guide, the eminent new Ancestry in the next act of Extinction Curse (confirmed in the "Next Month" section of Legacy of the Lost God act; which I presume will be Troglodytes), and the 5 Ancestries coming with the APG, and taking the 5 new Heritages being added as well; there will be a total of 75 distinct people that are playable in Second Edition since launch. This is of course not including the variable Heritages each Ancestry has, which denotes things like culture, ethnicity, nationality, and the like; nor is this including the likely "Sub-Heritages" we may see from options like Aasimar and Tiefling (such as Oni-spawn Tiefling and Agathion-blooded Aasimar). This number is assuming that options like Leshy can be Duskwalkers and Changelings. Given the nature of their birth, I'm not sure that is technically possible. But I digress.

This. This is why I love Pathfinder. The sheer multitude of options and routes one can take to create something theoretically original in this game is outright phenomenal. I saw a video recently where a guy took nearly every conceivable option within the Core Rulebook alone and came up with a ludicrous number. Not all of these choices are huge, but they are enough to create a unique story amongst the characters created. It's amazing.

(The new ancestry was Shoony btw :D Pug ancestry!)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:


(The new ancestry was Shoony btw :D Pug ancestry!)

Even better! Forgot they were sneakily hinted at. Wing-ed Aasimar Pupper!!

Dark Archive

On side note, I hope that heritages don't require more achievement points in PFS. Because I realized I might want to use certain Leshy character Background from PFS scenario for Leshy Tiefling character xD


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
On side note, I hope that heritages don't require more achievement points in PFS. Because I realized I might want to use certain Leshy character Background from PFS scenario for Leshy Tiefling character xD

That's assuming Leshy can take any of these variable Heritages. Given the nature of their birth, being created by Druids by infusing nature spirits into a material body; I wonder if their can take any Planar Scion options. Theroetically, I suppose one could argue the possibility of infusing Fiendish, Celestial, and Monitor spirits or essence from an Immortal or their corresponding Planes. But, I think that would likely force an alignment, as the Planes and their inhabitants tend to be alignment locked. And Changeling and Dhampir just seems very out of the question as well, being physical beings rather than spiritual, relying on genetic birth.

But maybe Paizo has thought up an elegant solution to this.

Dark Archive

I mean

the background I'm talking about:
is for leshies with abyssal influence :D


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

The background doesn't necessarily make them Tiefling Leshy tho8gh. But again, I'm certain Paizo figured out a reasonable ingame lore reason as to why things like Tiefling Leshy and similar creatures exist. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The more important issue here is the blatant lack on Swinefolk in fantasy settings nowadays! D:<
I desire the (P)Orcs of old! Give me the pig people Paizo!!


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Ly'ualdre wrote:

The background doesn't necessarily make them Tiefling Leshy tho8gh. But again, I'm certain Paizo figured out a reasonable ingame lore reason as to why things like Tiefling Leshy and similar creatures exist. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The more important issue here is the blatant lack on Swinefolk in fantasy settings nowadays! D:<
I desire the (P)Orcs of old! Give me the pig people Paizo!!

I mean, it would probably be the other way around- it doesn't necessarily *make* them Tiefling Leshy, but it certainly seems like a good explanation for Tiefling Leshy (and by extension, other kinds of Leshy, as being nature spirits associated with areas under heavy planar influence) if you chose to take a universal heritage on a Leshy.


Any idea when the final cover will be shown?


I'm on board with hoping there is coherent control against Planetouched combos with Leshies and Duskwalker et al.
Really, even more so re: Dhampir and Changeling and such mortal Heritages which don't make sense in created spiritual being.
(if Planetouched origin is vague and mutable enough I suppose one could speculate a viable route for those Heritage combos)

I'm freshly curious on Metallic Kobolds and Aasimar and Apsu and such; interesting potential for specific expressions like that.
(although I also liked the idea of Metallic Kobolds being Apsu thing without necessarily involving Aasimar per se)

----------------------------------------------------------

As they announced final APG is now sent to printers, I expect the final cover to be released sooner rather than later.
Maybe we'll even start getting some more specific previews of the final APG content.... <hint hint hint ATTN: Paizo>


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Quandary wrote:

I'm on board with hoping there is coherent control against Planetouched combos with Leshies and Duskwalker et al.

Really, even more so re: Dhampir and Changeling and such mortal Heritages which don't make sense in created spiritual being.
(if Planetouched origin is vague and mutable enough I suppose one could speculate a viable route for those Heritage combos)

I'm freshly curious on Metallic Kobolds and Aasimar and Apsu and such; interesting potential for specific expressions like that.
(although I also liked the idea of Metallic Kobolds being Apsu thing without necessarily involving Aasimar per se)

----------------------------------------------------------

As they announced final APG is now sent to printers, I expect the final cover to be released sooner rather than later.
Maybe we'll even start getting some more specific previews of the final APG content.... <hint hint hint ATTN: Paizo>

Agreed, I'm super ready for more info, I hope this is set to be a long, drip fed, hype cycle. I am so ready to slow burn my anticipation of this book, sharing each blog post with my group for us to speculate on and salivate over.

(full disclosure: i know this seems like a bit much, but i just enjoy hyping for products, always have- especially for TTRPG books, its actually part of my experience of the game as a whole and gives me a strong sense of community when we discuss each thing on here like we did with the Witch Playtest and such.... or in other words, I love all you nerds <3)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I mean...there are some very inhuman Demonic and Monitor entities that I could easily see being able to create "Planetouched"

Regardless of that fact, Aasimar and Tieflings aren't always born of a bloodline coupling between Mortals and Outsiders.

Proximity to prodigious Fell or Holy energy can lead to that sort of birth.

Look what happened to Nualia and her child...that poor, poor girl.


I know there's a lot going on right now, especially for the writers. So I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers, and I don't mean it to. But while there's a chance that the product might be delayed the pandemic, I was actually wondering if there's a chance the pdf is released early? A lot of digital content has been, for those bored at home. I know I'm chomping at the bit for fun stuff to do, and character building might be my favourite thing about pathfinder.

151 to 174 of 174 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.