The Turning Wheel - a Zeitgeist PbP

Game Master karlprosek

PCs are members of the Royal Homeland Constabulary in Flint, protecting king and country from threats foreign and domestic during a time of rampant technological upheaval.

Map of Current Scene: No current tactical map.
The City of Flint

Campaign site
Seized Evidence Tracker

Zeitgeist Player's Guide


1,151 to 1,200 of 1,328 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

"As long as it's admissible in court, I am content," said Uxui, scanning the carriage for weak points and exits.


An hour later the RHC carriage clattered to a stop in front of the Danoran consulate. The constables had had two options during the trip- swelter in the muggy closed air of the carriage with the windows closed or open the windows to let in the foul smelling smog drifting over the usually clear-skied North Shore streets. Either way it hadn't been the most pleasant trip, and as the disgruntled looking Flint policeman put away his pocketwatch on seeing the constables climb out of the carriage they could tell their trials were not yet over.

The stout policeman walked over to the constables. "Took you long enough." He shook his head. "Alfred Bellastair. This was my crime scene until five seconds ago, for all the good it did me. The Danorans don't want to talk to mere policemen."

He gestured at the consulate's fence. “Witnesses say the incident occurred about two hours ago now. We responded but by the time the first of our men got here the Danorans had taken the victim off the fence and carried her inside. But everyone had pretty much the same story. They heard gun retorts, saw the woman jump out the window, and she landed on the fence. One scoundrel apparently stole stuff off her body and ran away as she was bleeding out."

"The Danorans wouldn’t let us inside, but I yelled at them that you’d be showing up, and they said they wouldn’t get rid of the body. The guy you want to talk to is the security chief, Julian LeBrix."

"You can handle the investigation from here without my men, right? We’ve got better things to do than sit around for another hour while you drink up the hospitality of the Danorans.”


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

"Better things than securing a crime scene, eh?" Diego commented curiously, darkly, smoothing down the hair above his lips in a fluid motion.

¿Demasiados trabajadores al silencio?" the Berian mumbled, silencing himself with a click of his own tongue as he looked past Officer Bellastair and towards the bloody fence. His golden eyes scanned the scene dourly, frowning as he took in whatever information was available. He'd let the Risurians dismiss their fellow countryman: Diego himself had little love for the common coppers.

"We weren't told about gunshots," he mused thoughtfully, "Seems we've our work cut out for us. And someone vandalized the body? Any word on what they look like, or where they fled to?"

Diego hoped that it was just the case of an opportunistic burglar. If this was murder and something important was missing, that would make the case entirely more complicated. The last thing Risur and Danor needed was another reason to ignite the conflict over the islands.

Diego shrugged off his jacket now that he was out of the carriage, the muggy heat unbearable. What he would give for the dry winds of his southern homeland.

"And what of the witnesses, Officer Bellastair?" he asked, looking about, "Any stick around after your muchachos questioned them? We might have our own details to go over with them."

While he waited for the reply, his coat hanging at the collar from two fingers and draped over his shoulder, Diego gave Aziel a subtle nudge. Despite himself, his yellow eyes softened and paled as he swayed his jaw towards the consulate himself.

"You'll be alright with this?" he asked with a touch of concern. Her quiet demeanor during the carriage ride had been ... off, from what Diego knew of her, and what he knew was not much.


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Aziel was still looking sharp in her uniform - not even a drop of sweat at her temples, though the collar of her crisp shirt was unbuttoned, perhaps a nod to the heat. She had exited the carriage hurriedly, half-expecting the monstrosity on the roof to peck her in the noggin, and reluctantly dropped the butt of her last hand-rolled cigarette.

Grinding it under her hoof, she tilted her head at Diego, eyes a shade lighter than his burnished gold assessing. He didn't know her well enough to guess what she was thinking, but her voice was cool and professional when she answered him - a far cry from the night they had met. "Alors. If there were guns in play, maybe I should take a look, after all. If you can gather anything or anyone connected to them, I may be able to learn something. ...I will stay here and canvass any witnesses until you call me," she reluctantly added, already wishing she had another cigarette in hand.

"I trust you know what I would look for, mon ami? You are no stranger to the art of the gun," she added, loud enough that it might have been more for Bellastair's benefit than Diego's. All the while, though, her eyes were on the crowd, scanning... but for Julian LeBrix, rather than any wrongdoers or witnesses. She didn't ask what he looked like; on arriving in Risur, she had made quiet inquiries as to the staff of the consulate - the better to avoid them - and had a general idea of what to expect when looking for them.

She smiled in Bellastair's direction. "It is a bloody mess, non? Literally and figuratively. The paperwork will be horrendous. We will be, how you say, out of your hair as soon as possible, Officer. But maybe you could get us moving faster. Is there anything more you could tell us?"

Professional soldier + Cha + lvl to get information: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 + 3 = 23


Male Human (Risuri) Hunter 3||HP 24/24||AC 16|12|14||For: +4|Ref: +5|Wil: +4||CMB: +5 CMD: 17| INIT +2

Lyle allowed Diego and Aziel to deal with Bellastair. He never would have thought he'd be relying on a half-orc and tiefling to do all the talking in a serious matter such as this, but for the moment at least they seemed to be doing well. He just hoped they wouldn't press the Flint Police Officer too hard.

Tapping his cane against the cobblestones, the former businessman turned towards the fence that surrounded the Danoran consulate. "Well if matters really are as this fine gentleman has described, then I had best begin examining the... crime scene I suppose we're calling it now?" Lyle said those last few words with at least some degree of hesitation, as he was still adjusting to all this RHC terminology. "I'll start with the fence, and after that perhaps I'll see if I can't weasel my way inside the building. Would anyone care to join me?"


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

"Fence, then building, lovely," said Uxui. She gazed at Bellastair as if he was rotten meat left in an alley for a split second, then strode with Langston over to the fence, glancing up.

"Langston, we'll have to examine the body in situ...maybe we can get a ladder. Let me go talk with the staff," she said.

She walked to the front door of the embassy and put on her most disarming smile, her orange eyes flashing, and let just a little bit of mottled blue and brown skin, bedecked with tiny shining scales, show at the V of her collar.

"Good day, I'm Officer Uxui. Could you please summon Chief LeBrix? We'd be most grateful for his assistance."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Aziel/Diego, street

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:
"Better things than securing a crime scene, eh?" Diego commented curiously, darkly, smoothing down the hair above his lips in a fluid motion.

The policeman glared at Diego. "Oh, you mean like me and my men have been doing while we waited for you high-and-mighty Constables to finally show up? If you could've stopped the Danorans from taking the body before you even got here, then the stories you people leak to the press aren't half as fanciful as they could be." To the Flint cop's credit, there were several other uniformed officers nearby keeping people away from the fence, as well as directing traffic away from the front of the consulate at each nearby intersection.

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:
"And what of the witnesses, Officer Bellastair?" he asked, looking about, "Any stick around after your muchachos questioned them? We might have our own details to go over with them."

"Oh, I'm sorry Constable." Diego had clearly pissed off Bellastair with his initial approach. "I can't imagine that there's anything were mere police officers can do to help such exceptional investigators as yourselves."

So... I'm giving you guys a temporary situational penalty to Diplomacy checks with the Flint police for the remainder of this scene. I'm not sure if I'm reading Diego's intent right, but he really got under Bellastair's skin here.

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:

"I trust you know what I would look for, mon ami? You are no stranger to the art of the gun," she added, loud enough that it might have been more for Bellastair's benefit than Diego's. All the while, though, her eyes were on the crowd, scanning... but for Julian LeBrix, rather than any wrongdoers or witnesses. She didn't ask what he looked like; on arriving in Risur, she had made quiet inquiries as to the staff of the consulate - the better to avoid them - and had a general idea of what to expect when looking for them.

She smiled in Bellastair's direction. "It is a bloody mess, non? Literally and figuratively. The paperwork will be horrendous. We will be, how you say, out of your hair as soon as possible, Officer. But maybe you could get us moving faster. Is there anything more you could tell us?"

Luckily for all involved, Aziel was there to charm the policeman. Bellastair grunted and shook his head at Diego, very deliberately turning to face the tiefling constable. He nodded at her, giving Aziel a thin smile in return for her broad on. "We questioned several folks who witnessed the incident, ma'am. We couldn't hold any of them, but we got names and addresses along with their statements." The stout cop pulled out a notebook and flipped to a page.

Again to their credit, the police had interviewed an assortment of wealthy businessmen who were headed out to gamble, household servants who were heading home after their night shifts, fleet messengers delivering trading news from the stock market in Central district, carriage drivers delivering Danorans who had appointments at the consulate, beggar children (but of the well-dressed, respectable sort), and a trio of glaziers who were fortunate enough to walk by just as a fancy window was shattered. A few of them had been headed to destinations close enough to track down in a reasonable amount of time.


Lyle, fence site

Lyle Langston wrote:
Tapping his cane against the cobblestones, the former businessman turned towards the fence that surrounded the Danoran consulate. "Well if matters really are as this fine gentleman has described, then I had best begin examining the... crime scene I suppose we're calling it now?" Lyle said those last few words with at least some degree of hesitation, as he was still adjusting to all this RHC terminology. "I'll start with the fence, and after that perhaps I'll see if I can't weasel my way inside the building. Would anyone care to join me?"

There were a pair of local cops standing near a bloodstain on the sidewalk nearby. Looking up at the top of the fence, it was easy to see where the dead woman had been impaled. Quite easy, since there was no body to impair visibility.


Uxui, gate

Uxui Zerpina wrote:

She walked to the gate of the embassy and put on her most disarming smile, her orange eyes flashing, and let just a little bit of mottled blue and brown skin, bedecked with tiny shining scales, show at the V of her collar.

"Good day, I'm Officer Uxui. Could you please summon Chief LeBrix? We'd be most grateful for his assistance."

The Danoran soldiers on duty stood just inside the fence at attention. One of them nodded at her. "Yes, ma'am. Chief LeBrix has already been informed of your arrival. He'll be down in a minute."

In fact, as the Danoran guard said this, the consulate's front doors opened and an older gentleman and a trio of household staff with what looked like cleaning supplies came out. The older man headed for the gate while the cleaners walked toward the fence where Lyle was inspecting the blood on the sidewalk.

The man walked up to the gate and nodded at Uxui. Up close, he certainly didn't look like much. Old, balding, and rheumy-eyed, he was dressed well in a nod toward Danoran army uniform but probably more comfortable. He did have a pistol at his side, though, and he wore it like he knew how to use it.

"I'm head of security here. LeBrix. Could I see your identification, please, miss?"

A couple of minor corrections- the consulate gate is closed and guarded and members of the RHC are called Constables or sometimes Agents. Officers are local police. I left it as is, in case Zerpina is trying to pass as a cop, but just for your reference she'd properly be Constable Uxui.


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

For his part, Diego rubbed idly at one of his tusks at the "critiques" of Officer Bellastair. If the notion of doing his job had flustered him so easily, the Berian had no need to see him as different than any other street cop that took billy clubs to Dockers asking to perhaps not be ground up by the constant, whirring machinery of Flint. Reason Forbid that the police be committed to actual justice. A person had died, with homicide a strong possibility. The least Bellastair and his officers could have done was make sure the scene stayed safe and secure while the investigation was underway, rather than bolt as soon as the detectives arrived and grow red as a beet if questioned on the reason for such a sudden flight. No wonder Dockers consistently decried the Flint PD as short-tempered if Bellastair was representative of the average officer.

The former private eye had dealt with his fair share of belligerent beat cops and so actively turned his back on the one in question: Aziel could deal with him. Diego had no time to soothe the feathers of those so easily flustered. Instead he procured two rolled cigarettes from his little tin case of tobacco and paper, tucked one behind Aziel's ear, and lit his own while striding off towards the main gate of the embassy.

"I'll let you know what I find about the weapon," Diego informed his Danoran companion courteously, heading for where Uxui was speaking with what the Berian could only assume was LeBrix. Overhearing the exchange, he slid up next to his fellow countryman, giving her a small nod while slowly procuring his papers from his pocket, making sure LeBrix was aware of his peaceful intent with his measured movements.

"We're with the RHC," Diego explained, holding his ID to the gate for LeBrix's easy visibility "We were told you'd be expecting us. Constable Roldán, para servirle, señor."

Diego gave a small bow of his head in respect. It wasn't his first time needing access from the powerful to pursue the work of justice, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. His words were chosen carefully to appear helpful and humble, as he did with most of his clients.

"Mis condolencias for this dark day. We hope to have this manner resolved swiftly and with little disturbance to you and your people. Con su permiso, may I and my fellow Constables have access to the consulate proper?"

Intent wildly misinterpreted but in this situation that seems to be fair overall: Diego's got no love to spare for street cops so it's fine with Bellastair kinda cementing his views on them (in Diego's opinion). Mostly Diego was just curious as to why the Police would leave a crime scene while an active investigation was underway just because the investigators showed up - that just didn't seem correct to him, no matter how long they had been waiting. There's still evidence about that can't afford to be further tampered with and civilians to keep away from the scene, to say the least. To him that would be like all the workers on the factory floor packing up and going home because it's okay, the manager's here, she'll handle the entire factory now.

If a Diplomacy Roll is at all needed for Diego speaking to LeBrix (I'm not sure if it would be needed as this is basically what we're here to do?) feel free to roll for me at a +8: +4 Docker Detective + 3 Level + 1 Charisma


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Her attention finally pulled from the crowd, Aziel peered at the notebook Bellastair provided, but didn't move to take it from him. "C'est bon. This will prove very useful. Thank you for your good work, Officer. May I take this book of notes, or do you prefer I copy what you have written?"

Whatever the result:

Aziel smiled at Bellastair again, approvingly. "I thank you again, Officer. Who knows what a mess we would have found if you had not been here? Greater than the one we have, for certain. Could we persuade you to stay on the scene with your men a bit longer? It will take time to canvass the witnesses and look up these ones who have left. We can put pressure on the consulate, but not if we are not here in force. I am sure you wish to get to the bottom of this strange incident as much as we do. Can we count on you, mon ami?"

Trying to leverage that last roll for all it's worth, but feel free to roll for her if she needs another "hey we're all law-enforcement buddies here" check.


Spells:
Conc. +9; 1st 5/6
HP 26/26 | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | CMB +0, CMD 12| F +3, R +3, W +5 | Init +6, Dex 14 | CG Female Human Sorcerer 3 | Effects: None

Eveline hid her displeasure at Officer Bellastairs unprofessional outburst, and followed Diego to the front gate of the consulate.

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:

"We're with the RHC. We were told you'd be expecting us. Constable Roldán, para servirle, señor."

"Mis condolencias for this dark day. We hope to have this manner resolved swiftly and with little disturbance to you and your people. Con su permiso, may I and my fellow Constables have access to the consulate proper?"

"And, please be sure to tell Julian that Eveline Ashcroft is here with the Constables. And I can personally vouch for their professionalism--and their discretion. After all, we're all friends here."

Using Charisma + Level + Elite Upbringing to influence the situation to get the door open for us, and maybe some hors d'oeuvres. ;-)

Elite Upbringing: 1d20 + 4 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 3 + 3 = 19


Aziel, street

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
Her attention finally pulled from the crowd, Aziel peered at the notebook Bellastair provided, but didn't move to take it from him. "C'est bon. This will prove very useful. Thank you for your good work, Officer. May I take this book of notes, or do you prefer I copy what you have written?"

Bellastair made a face but nodded. "I can grab another notebook, ma'am. You keep that one."

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
Aziel smiled at Bellastair again, approvingly. "I thank you again, Officer. Who knows what a mess we would have found if you had not been here? Greater than the one we have, for certain. Could we persuade you to stay on the scene with your men a bit longer? It will take time to canvass the witnesses and look up these ones who have left. We can put pressure on the consulate, but not if we are not here in force. I am sure you wish to get to the bottom of this strange incident as much as we do. Can we count on you, mon ami?"

The policeman nodded. "We can give you..." he looked over at the two men standing near the bloodstained sidewalk and the officers at each of the nearby intersections, then back at Aziel "Do you think an hour is enough, ma'am?"


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, gate

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:

Overhearing the exchange, he slid up next to his fellow countryman, giving her a small nod while slowly procuring his papers from his pocket, making sure LeBrix was aware of his peaceful intent with his measured movements.

"We're with the RHC," Diego explained, holding his ID to the gate for LeBrix's easy visibility "We were told you'd be expecting us. Constable Roldán, para servirle, señor."

Diego gave a small bow of his head in respect. It wasn't his first time needing access from the powerful to pursue the work...

LeBrix looked carefully at Diego's and Uxui's identification. "Of course, Constables. I'm sure Lady Saxby will be just as pleased as we are if we can get this mess resolved quickly." He nodded and gestured at the Danoran guards, who opened a small, single person sized gate in the fence.

LeBrix looked out at the other constables who had come with Diego, Eveline, and Uxui. "Just the three of you coming in?"

Eveline, are you suggesting she knows Julian LeBrix personally? If so, that's fine and you can wrap it into a roll but I need more explanation. Like 'Julian, it's so good to see you, how's your dog, I haven't seen you since that party at the Windemere' or 'they had met while Eveline was an honored guest at a benefit gala for Danoran war orphans' or something.


Lyle, fence site

karlprosek wrote:
There were a pair of local cops standing near a bloodstain on the sidewalk nearby. Looking up at the top of the fence, it was easy to see where the dead woman had been impaled. Quite easy, since there was no body to impair visibility.

While Lyle investigated, a trio of domestic workers hustled out the front door of the consulate and made their way toward the spot on the other side of the fence. Their intent was clear- someone had ordered them to clean the blood off the fence and the ground.


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

sorry, busy few days.

Uxui began to reply. "Yes, we--hold there! You! That's a crime scene!" Her bark was something almost inhuman, which made some sense. She turned smartly on her heel, her face sweet again. "My apologies, M'sieur LeBrix, but we don't want anyone to accidentally contaminate a crime scene. If you could dismiss your cleaning staff?"


Spells:
Conc. +9; 1st 5/6
HP 26/26 | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | CMB +0, CMD 12| F +3, R +3, W +5 | Init +6, Dex 14 | CG Female Human Sorcerer 3 | Effects: None
karlprosek wrote:
Eveline, are you suggesting she knows Julian LeBrix personally? If so, that's fine and you can wrap it into a roll but I need more explanation. Like 'Julian, it's so good to see you, how's your dog, I haven't seen you since that party at the Windemere' or 'they had met while Eveline was an honored guest at a benefit gala for Danoran war orphans' or something.

My intention was just to use the fact that she overheard "Lebrix's" first name and is using it as a power move, to make them think she's familiar with the staff. She's more banking on that they know who she is.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4
karlprosek wrote:
The policeman nodded. "We can give you..." he looked over at the two men standing near the bloodstained sidewalk and the officers at each of the nearby intersections, then back at Aziel "Do you think an hour is enough, ma'am?"

"Three hours would be better, but alors, I understand if you cannot hold back the tide of bureaucracy that long." Aziel tucked away the proferred notebook, and put out her hand to shake Bellastair's. "We will do what we can to be quick. Merci, Officer."

Once Bellastair had moved on with his work, Aziel did likewise, heading to the fence to join Uxui and Lyle. After a quick examination of the scene of the death, she turned to see if there were any onlookers who had stayed past the removal of the body. If not, she might have to actually head into the consulate to see where the weapons had been fired - the very thought made her hair rise.

Professional soldier + level + INT to examine the fence: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 2 = 17

Professional soldier + level + INT to spot possible witnesses: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7

Flicking her tail with displeasure, Aziel reluctantly turned toward the consulate.


Eveline Ashcroft wrote:

My intention was just to use the fact that she overheard "Lebrix's" first name and is using it as a power move, to make them think she's familiar with the staff. She's more banking on that they know who she is.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

No problem if she was talking to staff. The only issue is that she's talking to LeBrix right now. I'd be fine if you (and by 'you' I mean any of you) want to do things like establish some earlier interaction with NPCs and use rolls to see how well the NPC remembers the PC.

Now that I understand your intent, what would you like LeBrix to know about the Ashcrofts or Eveline personally? With that roll I think we can say you succeeded at what you wanted to do.


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, gate

Uxui Zerpina wrote:
Uxui began to reply. "Yes, we--hold there! You! That's a crime scene!" Her bark was something almost inhuman, which made some sense. She turned smartly on her heel, her face sweet again. "My apologies, M'sieur LeBrix, but we don't want anyone to accidentally contaminate a crime scene. If you could dismiss your cleaning staff?"

The two soldiers looked sharply at Uxui as she yelled past them and LeBrix turned to her, then toward the cleaning crew. He nodded. "Bureaucratic nonsense. We have some important visitors coming later this afternoon and the consular's staff wanted everything cleaned up as soon as possible."

DC 20 check to get a feel for LeBrix's attitude:
Security Chief LeBrix seems uncomfortable. Could be because he doesn't like having a death on his watch, could be that he's not comfortable around half-orcs or vishkanya, could be because of could be something else.

LeBrix raised his own voice to be heard by the workers. "Aimee, Anais, Lucien, hold off on that. I'll let Mrs. Duvall know when you can clean that up."

LeBrix moved out of the way and gestured the three constables onto the garden path that led to the consulate's front door. "If you'll follow me, constables?"


Aziel/Lyle, fence.

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
"Three hours would be better, but alors, I understand if you cannot hold back the tide of bureaucracy that long." Aziel tucked away the proferred notebook, and put out her hand to shake Bellastair's. "We will do what we can to be quick. Merci, Officer."

Bellastair nodded and shook hands with Aziel. "I'll stay as long as we can, ma'am. I won't promise three hours, but I'll try. Good luck."

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:

Once Bellastair had moved on with his work, Aziel did likewise, heading to the fence to join Lyle. After a quick examination of the scene of the death, she turned to see if there were any onlookers who had stayed past the removal of the body. If not, she might have to actually head into the consulate to see where the weapons had been fired - the very thought made her hair rise.

Flicking her tail with displeasure, Aziel reluctantly turned toward the consulate.

There wasn't much to see on the sidewalk beyond the obvious blood. Looking up at the broken fourth floor window, Aziel noted that the dead woman must have been a prodigious jumper, suicidal, or thought she had some other way to clear the fence and survive a 40 foot drop. But from down here there wasn't much to see.

Aziel was pretty sure she could check at least a couple of Bellastair's contacts within half an hour or so. She had the addresses of where they were headed as well as their home addresses, and several of them were nearby.

There weren't any witnesses who had stayed once the police had finished questioning them, but the constable did notice a man walking toward them from the mouth of a nearby alleyway. "Officers! Officers? I want to report a theft. Related to this mess, I think." From his clothes, he looked like a working man, not the sort of person who would just be hanging around on the streets of North Shore.


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

"Our thanks, M'sieur LeBrix," said Uxui, on the heels of the security chief. "As I know you have cleaning to do, we should look at the room from which the woman--'exited'--the building. Are your windows barred or locked? Easy to open? I hope you don't mind me asking questions as we walk. And then the interviews, of course." Uxui oozed serpentine charm.

any rolls needed? Diplomacy?


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

Something about the Security Chief seemed rather ... off to Diego.

Docker Detective + Wisdom + Level: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

But he wasn't entirely sure what it was. Just ... a feeling, truly. Diego had learned to trust his gut in most instances, but he had also been wrong before. Perhaps the small jostle with Officer Bellastair had rattled the Berian and left him looking for conflict where there was none.

Politely stamping out his smoke before entering foreign territory, Diego threw his jacket back on to have a modicum of professional appearance restored to him on the blasted humid day. Following behind Uxui, he let his fellow Constable ask a litany of questions while his own yellow eyes took in the garden - a quaint thing when surrounded by so much stone, steel, steam, and smoke. Danorans and their appearances, he supposed.

His sharp ears thought he might have caught a more familiar voice upon the wind, a glance over his shoulder spying Aziel and Lyle near the fence. Whatever it was, he was confident they could handle it. Instead, Diego added his own query to Constable Uxui's.

"Our fellow peacekeepers said there was also reports of a gunshot - or perhaps gunfire?" Diego said, recalling Officer Bellastair's testimony, "I'd be interested in taking a look at where this occurred."


Male Human (Risuri) Hunter 3||HP 24/24||AC 16|12|14||For: +4|Ref: +5|Wil: +4||CMB: +5 CMD: 17| INIT +2

Finding nothing on the sidewalk but some blood splatter, Lyle turns to face the working man who had just approached them. "Just a moment, Charbonneau. You might want to hear what this nice man has to say." The entrepreneur says, attempting to call back the tiefling before she steps inside the consulate. He then engages with the stranger who had talked of theft.

A thousand thanks for coming forward, good sir. As we like to say in the Royal Homeland Constabulary, the honor and vigilance of good citizens such as yourself are the currency of our fine realm." Lyle says with a respectful bob of his head. He had been expecting to work with forensics and evidence today, not people. But he was nothing if not flexible.

"If you have information that you can share with us, please do so. Or would you prefer we discuss this somewhere with a little more privacy? Perhaps somewhere with a pint to drink? The RHC will pay the bill of course."

I understand Lyle can't just run up a tab on the RHC's behalf, but he'll probably request to be reimbursed later. He just wants an excuse to get a drink while on the job, and get paid for it too if he can. :P


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, consulate grounds

Uxui Zerpina wrote:
"Our thanks, M'sieur LeBrix," said Uxui, on the heels of the security chief. "As I know you have cleaning to do, we should look at the room from which the woman--'exited'--the building. Are your windows barred or locked? Easy to open? I hope you don't mind me asking questions as we walk. And then the interviews, of course." Uxui oozed serpentine charm.

LeBrix nodded. "Of course. We'll go straight to the fourth floor hallway." He gestured at the face of the consulate as they walked through the vibrant and fragrant beds of flowers toward the entrance. "The windows aren't barred. They do lock from the inside, but staff and residents can open them as they will. The one Miss Hume 'exited' from was closed, as you can see." One of the tall, floor to ceiling windows on the fourth floor was clearly broken, completely shattered.

“This whole thing is a mess." The old Danoran shook his head. "I took a diplomatic post to avoid having to see blood and death anymore. It has our people shaken up—none of them ever saw war—and so I hope you can take the woman’s body and go quickly. Better for everyone I think if the consular doesn’t have to be bothered. He has more important things on his mind than a burglary. We have treaty negotiations, trade contracts, and you don’t want powerful men thinking about death when they’re deciding our fates, you know?"

“The woman went by the name Nilasa Hume. She’s been in a few times these past few months. Seemed nice enough. She brought us breakfast this morning. One of our security personnel, Braden, was dating her. She used him to case the building, and must have overheard someone talking about upstairs."

“I noticed she slipped out while everyone else was eating the food she’d brought. A hunch led me upstairs, and I found her slipping gold forks and spoons into her pockets.” LeBrix patted his pocket. "I think I know what she was after. I'll show it to you inside."

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:
"Our fellow peacekeepers said there was also reports of a gunshot - or perhaps gunfire?" Diego said, recalling Officer Bellastair's testimony, "I'd be interested in taking a look at where this occurred."

LeBrix nodded. "That was me. I caught her and pulled my gun but she decided to go out the window rather than be taken into custody. I fired while she was running for the window, trying to stop her."


Aziel/Lyle, street

Lyle Langston wrote:

A thousand thanks for coming forward, good sir. As we like to say in the Royal Homeland Constabulary, the honor and vigilance of good citizens such as yourself are the currency of our fine realm." Lyle says with a respectful bob of his head. He had been expecting to work with forensics and evidence today, not people. But he was nothing if not flexible.

"If you have information that you can share with us, please do so. Or would you prefer we discuss this somewhere with a little more privacy? Perhaps somewhere with a pint to drink? The RHC will pay the bill of course."

The man looked surprised but pleased by the offer, nodding and smiling broadly. "Well, then. Ain't every day a copper offers ta buy a workin' man a pint!" He turns in a circle and looks up and down the street, thinking. "The Clever Pup is just down this way, we can wet our whistles while I tell you all about this blackguard."

"I'm Byron, officer. Jack Byron. Run a hansom cab around these parts. Know every street and alley from here ta Central." Byron put out a hand to shake with Lyle. "Pleased ta meetcha."


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

"Señorita Hume," Diego repeated the name, pulling out a small notebook and jotting the details of LeBrix's explanation down as swiftly as he could. The result was a mess of strange squiggles and sharp lines: shorthand meant to record with speed and be translated later.

"It would be prudent of us to question this Braden as well," the Berian noted, "Is he still on the premises?

Some of the details were not adding up to the former P.I. - a woman throwing herself out the window because she was caught for robbery? Although LeBrix's tone implied that there was more to it than golden cutlery. Something important was in the Consulate.

Something worth dying for?

"And I assume you used your personal sidearm to try and stop her flight?" Diego asked, gauging his next words carefully.

Docker Detective + Level + Charisma: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Thankfully, his time dealing with the upper crust and lower rungs of society granted him an ease with others.

"Con su permiso, may I inspect your pistol later? Higher Ups back at the Office will want a full detailed report. Perdóname, but a firelock being discharged is something I'll have to include and with that comes a litany of questions afterwards, questions I would hope to spare you and I from."

Diego shrugged, intoning that his hands were tied on the matter. Catching onto LeBrix's former military service, the Half-Orc took an an air of being helpless before higher authority.

"What can be done against Official Orders, hm? I promise it will be a swift enterprise and I shall return it as soon as I have finished."


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

Have we noted the distance from the 4th floor window to the gate, in terms of horizontal distance?

"I would be very curious to see the item or items she sought," said Uxui. "It seems strange to me that she would hurtle herself out the window to certain death, unless she had, say, a faulty feather token or some other contingency plan that failed."


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Aziel winced inwardly as Lyle made his offer - not because she disapproved of drinking on the job, but because she had promised Diego she would give her input on any firearm-related matters he could find.

Still, she couldn't let Lyle wander off alone. That seemed like an invitation for him to be jumped, if things weren't on the up-and-up. She would have to trust Diego to see what he could find out about the weapons until she could return. Maybe she could just be sure that this fellow, Jack Byron, wasn't trouble, and then head back.

The tip of her tail lashing, Aziel smiled at Byron with too-sharp teeth. "Lead the way, monsieur Byron," she cooed, taking his arm. "We hang on your every word, n'est ce pas, mon ami? But sadly, we must return quickly - it would not do for the higher-ups to find us gone. You understand, I hope?" She shot Lyle A Look.


Male Human (Risuri) Hunter 3||HP 24/24||AC 16|12|14||For: +4|Ref: +5|Wil: +4||CMB: +5 CMD: 17| INIT +2

"Of course, of course." Lyle said, reassuring the tiefling in the same breath as he firmly shook the hand of Jack Byron. "Constable Langston, at your service, sir. Let the three of us visit this pub of yours, and you can tell us what you have seen."

The former businessman did wince a little as he saw Charbonneau give the man a pointed smile, and seize him by the arm. He just hoped she didn't come onto the witness too strongly. A relaxed man was a pliable man, after all.

Diplomacy (Charisma + Level): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Lyle will escort Jack Byron to the Clever Pup, and then purchase all three of them a drink. The Diplomacy Roll is in case he needs to smooth things over, or perhaps coax some more details out of the man


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:


"It would be prudent of us to question this Braden as well," the Berian noted, "Is he still on the premises?

LeBrix nodded. "He is. Braden will be made available to you, of course."

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:

"And I assume you used your personal sidearm to try and stop her flight?" Diego asked, gauging his next words carefully.

Thankfully, his time dealing with the upper crust and lower rungs of society granted him an ease with others.

"Con su permiso, may I inspect your pistol later? Higher Ups back at the Office will want a full detailed report. Perdóname, but a firelock being discharged is something I'll have to include and with that comes a litany of questions afterwards, questions I would hope to spare you and I from."

Diego shrugged, intoning that his hands were tied on the matter. Catching onto LeBrix's former military service, the Half-Orc took an an air of being helpless before higher authority.

"What can be done against Official Orders, hm? I promise it will be a swift enterprise and I shall return it as soon as I have finished."

LeBrix made a moue of annoyance and for a moment looked like he would demur but finally nodded. "Of course, constable. I fired at her twice, emptying it, and have since reloaded."

Uxui Zerpina wrote:
"I would be very curious to see the item or items she sought," said Uxui. "It seems strange to me that she would hurtle herself out the window to certain death, unless she had, say, a faulty feather token or some other contingency plan that failed."

LeBrix grunted. "I had the same thought, constable. Simply jumping out the window is not much of an escape plan without some sort of magical aid."

Uxui Zerpina wrote:
Have we noted the distance from the 4th floor window to the gate, in terms of horizontal distance?

It's a good 20 feet from the window to the fence, and the fence is 15' high. You're currently walking through a small garden of flowers toward stairs leading up to the main entrance, a set of ornate double doors. There are no trees or bushes for her to have been aiming for to break her fall.


Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
The tip of her tail lashing, Aziel smiled at Byron with too-sharp teeth. "Lead the way, monsieur Byron," she cooed, taking his arm. "We hang on your every word, n'est ce pas, mon ami? But sadly, we must return quickly - it would not do for the higher-ups to find us gone. You understand, I hope?" She shot Lyle A Look.

Byron almost flinched when Aziel took his arm but quickly nodded and gestured back at the alley he'd emerged from. "I understand, miss. Right this way." He led the two constables through the alley, gesturing at the far end.

"I'd just dropped off another fare when the man ran out of the alley like a demon was on his tail. He flagged me down, nearly jumping up in the cab before I even stopped."

DC 17 check to spot something as they walk through the alley, DC 15 if a PC is actively looking:
It looks like there was a short fight here recently. Near the signs of the scuffle is a fallen piece of paper in the mud, which looks like a copy of a deed of ownership for a canal barge, marked with the seal of the Danoran consulate.


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Aziel will take that look around. She's pretty alert.

Professional soldier + Int + level: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 2 + 3 = 27

Spotting something in the mud, Aziel released Byron and plucked up a piece of paper, tucking it into her jacket. She still hadn't broken a sweat, despite the weather.

"That does seem suspicious, monsieur Byron. Where did you take him?" she asked, nudging Lyle and gesturing for him to take a look at the signs of a scuffle that she'd been careful not to step in.

She took out her own notebook, and a pencil, prepared to jot down what Byron told them.


Aziel/Lyle, alley

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:

Aziel will take that look around. She's pretty alert.

[dice=Professional soldier + Int + level]1d20+4+2+3

Spotting something in the mud, Aziel released Byron and plucked up a piece of paper, tucking it into her jacket. She still hadn't broken a sweat, despite the weather.

"That does seem suspicious, monsieur Byron. Where did you take him?" she asked, nudging Lyle and gesturing for him to take a look at the signs of a scuffle that she'd been careful not to step in.

She took out her own notebook, and a pencil, prepared to jot down what Byron told them.

"House of Blue Birds, right on tha western edge'a North Shore. Nice hotel, not too expensive."

DC 15 check for magical auras:
There is a lingering aura that indicates the recent use of electrical magic.

DC 15 check for someone familiar with blood spatter:
There is a tiny spurt of oddly coagulated blood in a smear of mud.

DC 20 check of the blood while looking at magical auras:
Close examination of the blood reveals it is infused with strong necromantic energy.


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Blood spatter check DC15: Professional soldier + Int + level: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 + 3 = 24

"How long ago? Can you describe him? Did anyone meet him?" Aziel let her eyes wander, noting a spatter of blood across the ground. Squatting on goat-legs to poke it with the end of her pencil, she frowned, then scribbled in her notes - after wiping the end of the pencil off.

How long would it take to get to the House of Blue Birds from here by carriage? If she doesn't know, she'll ask the cabbie.


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

"Many thanks for your assistance, Chief LeBrix," Diego expressed his gratitude towards the Danoran for being so compliant. Given the circumstances, even the Half-Orc was not sure he would have been so cooperative with foreign police turning up in his home.

"Uxui," he addressed his fellow Berian, her name flowing off his tongue in the precise manner rather than the way Risurians tended to butcher it, "and Miss Ashcroft, why don't you two accompany Monsieur LeBrix towards the catalyst of this crime."

Theft and apparent suicide - it didn't bode well to Diego, and he hoped the background of the two women would be able to uncover anything particularly mysterious or arcane about the untimely death.

"With your leave, Chief, I'd be asking for your weapon and to inspect the window - I assume near there is where you made to stop her? And I'd be happy if one of your fellow guards could accompany there."

He made sure to make it clear he was not trying to sneak off on consulate grounds: Diego was just eager to begin his job.


Aziel/Lyle, alley

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
"How long ago? Can you describe him? Did anyone meet him?" Aziel let her eyes wander, noting a spatter of blood across the ground. Squatting on goat-legs to poke it with the end of her pencil, she frowned, then scribbled in her notes - after wiping the end of the pencil off.

"Um..." Byron glanced uncomfortably at the blood and the way Aziel was poking at it, like he expected it to try to slither away. "Ah. Tall, late 30s, maybe? Dark hair, goatee. He was dressed nice. Not noble like, but good clothes. Looked like he belonged, yeah? Nice suit of clothes, fancy wire wrap on his sword, new-ish hat, very nice, clean shoes. But his hands were bloody. Said he was a doctor and he'd been helping someone," the cabbie held up his hands to forestall the obvious follow up questions. "I asked. And he was carrying a bag, looked like a doctor's bag."

"Spoke well, an educated gentleman. And the House of Blue Birds caters to an upscale clientele. So he has money, but not a rich man. So a doctor sounds right to me."

Aziel Charbonneau wrote:
How long would it take to get to the House of Blue Birds from here by carriage? If she doesn't know, she'll ask the cabbie.

15-20 minutes. The rule of thumb is about half an hour to get from district to district, so to get from here to the edge of this district is about half that.


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

Diego Ferran Roldán wrote:


"With your leave, Chief, I'd be asking for your weapon and to inspect the window - I assume near there is where you made to stop her? And I'd be happy if one of your fellow guards could accompany there."

He made sure to make it clear he was not trying to sneak off on consulate grounds: Diego was just eager to begin his job.

LeBrix shook his head. "With respect, constable, I'll be escorting you where you need to go. I'm happy to give you free rein of the consulate but I'm afraid I can't just turn you loose. If you would prefer to see Miss Hume's body first, we can go there. Otherwise, the fourth floor hallway." The security chief did not seem likely to bend on this point.


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

"Completely understandable, Chief," Diego sympathized, agreeing immediately to LeBrix's control, "To the fourth floor, then - vamonos."


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

"Yes, yes, the fourth floor hallway. Is that where the items she sought were?"

Uxui tried to tamp down her own impatience. We're being led by the nose--he could hide anything. And think. Distance from the window to the gate means... she tried to do the mental math. Well, she would see if this woman could have honestly gotten a running start to fly twenty feet across the grounds to meet her end on the fence spikes. She looked up to gauge the height of the fourth floor.

parabolic trajectory says--argh. I don't know. We need to move this investigation along, though.


Spells:
Conc. +9; 1st 5/6
HP 26/26 | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | CMB +0, CMD 12| F +3, R +3, W +5 | Init +6, Dex 14 | CG Female Human Sorcerer 3 | Effects: None

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grounds

Eveline smiled throughout the entire tour, more than aware that they were being fed an "edited" version of the story. One thing in particular was bothering her.

"I must say it's quite resourceful to store cutlery on the 4th floor, so far away from the kitchens," she pointed out as if she was simply mentioning the weather. "You must trust your staff implicitly to let them have such easy access to potentially valuable, easily saleable items."


Male Human (Risuri) Hunter 3||HP 24/24||AC 16|12|14||For: +4|Ref: +5|Wil: +4||CMB: +5 CMD: 17| INIT +2

Aziel/Lyle, alley

DC 15 Check for Magical Auras (Wisdom + Level): 1d20 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 3 = 16

DC 15 Check for Blood Splatter (Medicine Man + Wisdom + Level): 1d20 + 3 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 3 + 3 = 12

DC 20 Check for Magical Aura + Blood Splatter (Medicine Man + Wisdom + Level): 1d20 + 3 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 + 3 + 3 = 26

Assuming that Aziel points out the blood to Lyle, I'm guessing that he can spot all of these clues.

"I'm seeing traces of electrical magic in the air and necromantic energy in the blood." Lyle Langston points out after a few moments of examining the area. The former businessman then shakes his head, lacking the pieces to put this mystery together. "Perhaps the good doctor was a magic user?" He muses, thinking out loud.

Standing there in the alleyway, a thought suddenly occurs to Lyle. "Byron, my fine fellow. When you first approached the two of us you mentioned theft. Did this well-dressed man pilfer something from you during your journey to the House of Blue Birds?


tiefling fighter 2/gunslinger 1, HPs: 28/28 - AC: 17|14|13 - For:+5 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+0 (+1 vs fear) - Init:+4

Aziel would definitely point out what she found to Lyle. DM, can the agents be said to be carrying any kind of forensic gear (like empty vials), or is their job more "point out what we've found to a secondary unit?" If they have procedures for gathering evidence, she'll do whatever to make sure they get that blood.

Aziel listened closely to Byron's answer, but she was already edgeing toward his carriage.

After his answer:

"It sounds as though we might be able to catch the man red-handed, as it were, if we go now. Will you take us, monsieur? Maybe you can spot him. Agent Langston will see to it that you get your beer afterwards, I promise it."


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grand Foyer

Uxui Zerpina wrote:
"Yes, yes, the fourth floor hallway. Is that where the items she sought were?"

LeBrix nodded as he led the constables through the imposing front doors- opened and then crisply closed as soon as the last member of the party was through- into the consulate proper. The grand foyer was built to awe visitors with sheer scale and beauty and inform with Danoran art and culture.

A grand double staircase with black wrought iron filigree balusters and handrails stood at the far end of the huge room, but couldn't steal the focus from the white marble floor and two-story tall pillars, all polished to a mirror sheen. On the edges of the room, the decorating abundantly reflected that Danor’s passion for culture and good living: gilded console tables, billowing silk curtains, tall blue Sèvres vases, and artwork featuring the country's most renowned artists.

Eveline Ashcroft wrote:
"I must say it's quite resourceful to store cutlery on the 4th floor, so far away from the kitchens," she pointed out as if she was simply mentioning the weather. "You must trust your staff implicitly to let them have such easy access to potentially valuable, easily saleable items."

LeBrix had started leading them to a door on the right side of the foyer but he turned at that, an annoyed expression on his face. "There are, of course, pantries on every floor. And the consular's office and private dining room is on the fourth floor, so we keep appropriate table and flatware there. If you want to ask a question, constable, just ask it. I'm a straightforward man, and I'd appreciate you being the same with me."

He waited a moment to see if Eveline would say anything, then pulled a small velvet bag out of a coat pocket. "I believe the flatware was simply a target of opportunity. This is what I think she was really after." The security chief turned the bag inside out and very gently showed the constables a large blue enamel egg, encrusted with jewels- one of the famous bejeweled clockwork eggs of House Jierre. "This is on display outside the consular's office on the fourth floor."

"It’s worth thousands, and we had it sitting out on display. I saw her, drew my pistol. She ran. I realized she was about to jump out the window. It looked like she was trying to kill herself, so I fired and hit her in the leg. Then she jumped. Flew straight through the glass. Now I’m thinking she’s about to escape, so I reload and shoot her in the back. That’s when she fell."

LeBrix shook his head and looked back at Eveline. "Our staff here is very thoroughly vetted. All security and staff is Danoran. None of our people would have attempted to steal from this house. This," he made a dismissive gesture, "This girl deliberately targeted Braden. She has visited here many times to see him. She has made friends of the vetted staff and my guards. This was a plan long in the making, and this egg is worth enough to set up a person for life."

"I'd met her and she was quite nice. I honestly wish I hadn't had to shoot her."


Aziel/Lyle, alley

Lyle Langston wrote:
Standing there in the alleyway, a thought suddenly occurs to Lyle. "Byron, my fine fellow. When you first approached the two of us you mentioned theft. Did this well-dressed man pilfer something from you during your journey to the House of Blue Birds?

The cabbie nodded vigorously. "Yeah! We get to the hotel and he says to wait while he goes in to get his purse. That's not too out of the ordinary for folks with money, but a quarter hour goes by and I go in to ask about him at the front desk. Turns out he went upstairs, grabbed some things, then ducked out the back door without paying me!" Jack shook his head. "I try to get the hotel to pay on his account and they can't authorize payment without this thieving so-and-so's word! It's outrageous! They should pay me and bill him, with all the drunk businessmen I see safely back to their hotel."

Aziel would definitely point out what she found to Lyle. DM, can the agents be said to be carrying any kind of forensic gear (like empty vials), or is their job more "point out what we've found to a secondary unit?" If they have procedures for gathering evidence, she'll do whatever to make sure they get that blood.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say the constables have gear and procedures to properly collect evidence from crime scenes.

Re catching the doctor red-handed, probably not from his answer, but the constables could check his room or try to track him down. You can change your dialogue if you want.


Stats:
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) hp 21 (3d8+3) Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2; +3 bonus vs. poison Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8
Skills:
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +9 (+14 to simulate illness), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (local) +7, Perception +8, Perform (dance) +9, Sleight of Hand +9 (+13 to hide obj

"She jumped, you say, and as she jumped, you reloaded and shot her again...perhaps she was flying or levitating, and your shot hit something to disable it. I must say, that's a quick reload. Could I examine your weapon?"

Uxui held her hand out, and without waiting for the gun, continued, "And we need to see the window, as well."


Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grand Foyer

LeBrix, frowning, pulled his pistol out of his holster and handed it to Uxui grip-first. It was a very fine double barreled pistol. And it was loaded.

"That's where I'm trying to take you, if you would stop accusing me of... what, exactly? Killing the girl then calling you to investigate the murder?" The security chief was clearly irritated.


Spells:
Conc. +9; 1st 5/6
HP 26/26 | AC 16, T 12, FF 14 | CMB +0, CMD 12| F +3, R +3, W +5 | Init +6, Dex 14 | CG Female Human Sorcerer 3 | Effects: None

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grand Foyer

"But you did kill her. Shot her twice while she fled from you. By your own admission you even had enough time to contemplate where to place the second shot. That makes it premeditated. And, yes, that makes it murder. Although, I suppose one could argue manslaughter, with the aid of a very good lawyer."

Eveline smiled disarmingly. "But that doesn't matter. After all, technically this place is your homeland's sovereign soil. We couldn't charge you for littering, much less murder."

"So please relax. We just want to process this crime scene and let everyone get back to their business. Unless of course you think any of us would like to be responsible for igniting a war."


I don't want to railroad you guys, and I could move the body so you can inspect it somewhere else, but I want to give you a heads up that this is not going well. Needling him is not going to help you here. He's pretty close to throwing you guys out, and as you said there's not really anything anybody in Flint could do about it.


Male Half-Orc Half-Orc Gun Chemist 2/Fighter 1, HPs: 24/24 - AC: 16|13|13 - For:+6 | Ref:+6 | Wil:+2 - Init:+3

Diego/Eveline/Uxui, Consulate Grand Foyer

"Everyone, cayate."

Diego's command was harsh, gruff, and directed almost exclusively at his fellow two detectives. What were they thinking trying to provoke the one person who was set to help them in their investigation? And after he had already requested to inspect LeBrix's weapon, Uxui just suddenly demanded it be surrendered before they even arrived at the scene of the shooting?

"The heat has clearly made us all a little more hot-headed and tense than we would normally be, yes? Yes," the Half-Orc declared, not giving his compatriots the time to respond, "And while we are eager to begin our work, we are certainly not jumping to any accusations before we've even investigated the scene."

The remark was pointed and concise - if they didn't want to be thrown out of the RHC on their very first case, they needed to keep it together. Adjusting his tie, Diego tried to put on a neutral face for the security chief and salvage what he could of the frankly horrible situation he was now stuck in.

He knew he preferred working alone for a reason.

"Chief LeBrix, disculpame for the ... Forwardness of the RHC. While we are a group dedicated to justice, sometimes our zeal gets the better of us. If we could perhaps just arrive to the scene without further comment, we can get done what Risur asks of us and be out of your way with the tide."

Not sure if you want a roll with this one GM, but yeah, let's not accuse the guy helping us of murder despite any technicalities in the language, yeah?

1,151 to 1,200 of 1,328 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Turning Wheel - a Zeitgeist PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.