Ebon Fist's Ruby Phoenix Tournament

Game Master EbonFist

Maps and Slides


1 to 50 of 362 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Many of you have been called down to this chamber so often that it is no longer particularly interesting. Even the Hao Jin tapestry, laying in its frame and in all its glory has almost become mundane at this point.

What IS interesting is that there is no one there studying the artifact. Generally there are at least 2 or 3 scholars examining the tapestry and making notes about it.

What is VERY interesting is the venture captain who greets you. After all, the last time you saw Aram Zey, he was sacrificing himself to merge with the very structure of the tapestry to become the new Ruby Phoenix and stabilize the artifact to keep it from collapsing and killing everyone still inside.

“Well? Don’t stand there as though you’ve seen a ghost. Gather around,” he says in his usual brusque manner.

”I have called you here for two reasons. The first is that some of you are the agents who have the most experience in the Hao Jin Tapestry of any in the Society. The others of you, while less experienced in that particular area, are nonetheless seasoned and have a record of working will with the ones who have been in the most.

”The second reason is both more compelling and more complex. Don’t ask me how-I know but it would take far to long to explain it-but this exact group of Pathfinders were the ones who won the Hao Jin Tapestry in the Ruby Phoenix Tournament, in the first place,” he explains and falls silent for a few moments to let the implications sink in.

”So, as you can see, it is imperative that you go back to the Ruby Phoenix Tournament and win so that you can claim the Hao Jin Tapestry or everything we’ve done with it, all the people we’ve helped, all the knowledge we’ve gained will have never happened,” he concludes.

”Any questions?”

Silver Crusade

Ruby Phoenix Tournament | NG male (he/him) human (Varisian) alchemist 12 | AC 26 (T 15, FF 22) | HP 111/111 | P +20, I +4 | F +14 (+16 vs poison), R +15, W +10 | Bombs: 22/22, Fly: 12/12, Clover: 3/3 | Active Conditions: ant haul

"Time travel? Temporal anomalies? Prepare the inverse tachyon pulse!" Diazepane exclaims, excitedly.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

A comely woman with pale blue skin and dark blue ombre hair swept up into a neat tight bun wanders in and greets the Venture Captain with the pleasant but slightly distant smile of a well-coached diplomat. She wears stylish yet functional silk clothing in the reds and blacks of Cheliax, but in the modest cut and style typical of a diplomat. Her cloak is secured by a brooch pin bearing the insignia of an infernal eye looking out of a swirling portal.

She nods a friendly greeting to Aram Zey "I am Svetlana, an emissary from the Order of the Gate, and I bid you all greetings from Citadel Enfranac. I am sure I will be able to assist. The ongoing friendship between the Pathfinder Society and the Order will be further deepend" - she smiles a manufactured icy smile once more. She doesn't seem phased by his reappearance, the Order deals with far greater mysteries, and heresies, daily.

She places a book with a well-worn leather cover on the table, the gold leaf lettering on the front of the volume has mostly faded and flaked away but the title can still be made out - 'The Measure and the Chain'. She toys with a shining wayfinder emblazoned with an emblem of a silver dragon absentmindedly as she talks.

"Perhaps you could tell us more about what to expect - what do we know of the stories from the previous foray? What can we expect?", although she has a smooth veneer and asks the questions with a practiced smile, there is a steely glint in her eye and an undertone that leaves a slight feeling of being interrogated.


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"You all know of Hao Jin, the powerful sorceress who spent much of her life gathering locations, people and artifacts to safeguard in this very tapestry. For that matter, a few of you have met her," Zey says.

"But you likely don't know much about the tournament that brought this artifact to us," he continues.

"Hao Jin was a devout follower of Abadar and among the many Abadaran pacts and contracts that dictated life was her carefully contracted agreement with the temple of Abadar in Goka regarding the fate of her collection in the event of her eventual death. Fearful that her treasures would fall into the wrong hands or simply be lost to history, Hao Jin left strict instructions that were she not to set foot within the temple for 10 years and a day, on the 10 year anniversary of that occasion, an epic competition of martial arts was to be held, overseen by the city’s Abadaran clergy; the winning team would be allowed to choose a single item as a prize for their victory. Not only would this prevent the collection from immediately being broken up, but it also ensured her life’s work would attain its own legendary immortality through the prestige the contest would bring.

"In 6891 ic, a recordkeeper at Goka’s Grand Bank of Abadar informed the archbanker that a decade and a day had passed since the Ruby Phoenix
last visited the temple. The conditions of her will had been met. As no one had seen nor heard from the sorceress for several years, she was assumed to have finally met her end, and the preparations were made to conduct the first Ruby Phoenix Tournament 10 years later. That tournament also established the office of the Emissary, an Abadaran official appointed for life to run the proceedings.

"Each decennial since, the greatest champions from across Golarion have vied for the victors’ spot, and most contestants have competed honorably and passionately. A decade before the contest you will be going to, however, the Ruby Phoenix Tournament was the subject of a terrible scandal that resulted in the first disqualification of a contestant in over a century.

"The shamed competitor was the earth sorceress Wu Dizhen, who was caught callously and repeatedly cheating and had to be ejected from the contest. Among the most egregious of her crimes were employing her identical twin, Wu Jufeng, as a body double, using Wu Jufeng as outside
aid during contests, and not sparing foes who forfeited bouts. Wu Dizhen’s crimes were discovered only moments prior to her entry into the final round of the contest, and her disqualification resulted in the automatic victory of her competitor, the Iomedaean paladin Marthysan the
Righteous.

"You will need to enter the contest, beat the other competitors in combat and then claim the Hao Jin Tapestry out of Hao Jin's vault. As far as who or what those competitors may be, records of the particular bout you're travelling back to are strangely sparse and vague. Perhaps because the details we'd be looking for haven't actually been determined, yet."

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

Abadarans, Iomedites, Paladins, rules and disqualifications - at least the tournament itself sounds respectable. I accept the mission, I will best their champions in combat, and keep an eye out for cheats, especially the Wu family"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

A tall man standing near the back of the group peers out from a long, lank, unwashed mop of brown hair. He leans on beautiful and expensive staff that gleams with holy light, but his clothes are simple and rather shabby. He has a badly misshapen homemade shoe that holds an obviously clubbed foot and his skin looks raw and scaly in patches, like a person suffering the King's Evil. His voice has a sad, droning quality, and his mouth seems drawn down into a frown perpetually. But the clear look in his bright and pale blue eyes fairly glows with holiness.

"OK, so... did we win this Tapestry before? I mean, like, us specifically? But we don't remember 'cause it hasn't happened yet? In which case, maybe telling us about it before we go back in time to win it, might interfere enough to make us, like, lose it? Cause...wow, that'd be heavy, man."

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

"Thank you Master. This assignment appears the most aligned to my nature of any of the previous that you have asked of me this far... Going back in time, to win the tournament that we have already won, because if we don't the present will unravel... Beautiful, pure, chaos"

He stops and smiles for a brief moment, his hair blowing in a non-existent breeze.

"This is the thing that I have been waiting for my entire Pathfinder tenure. Let us not waste any time on details. Let us go and win the thing that we have already won!"

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.
Kal'ryon wrote:
" Beautiful, pure, chaos"

The Chelish agent throws a side eye at Kal, but remains otherwise expressionless.


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Yes, I knew you would understand," Zey replies with a wry smile, his answer rather directly answering Kal'Ryon's question but much more cryptically responding to Rassmussen's.

"Now, if are ready, simply touch this part of the tapestry and say the following incantation," he says.

When you do, you feel the familiar sensation of going into the Hao Jin tapestry, complete with having the dimensional eddy behind you when you arrive at your location.

But this time, you are not in the tapestry. You are in the tapestry's past, namely the city of Goka.

It doesn't take much asking around to find out that the Ruby Phoenix Tournament takes place on an island in Goka Bay named Xielan.

"But you have to win a preliminary fight and have an invitation to be allowed to participate," a helpful local says.

It almost isn't surprising that each of you have such an invitation tucked away in your belongings. You each have vague memories of winning the CCVXIII "Royal Rumble."

It also doesn't take much asking around to find out there is a ferry going to the island, though you might want to find some other way of getting there.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"I am sure the ferry is fine, finding another means of transportation may just draw undue attention. If we appear to be doing the expected our foes will believe we are predictable"

Svetlana remains in her 'diplomatic' attire, appearing to be a dignitary as opposed to a competitor. Two other Chelish agents flank her wearing the reds and blacks of Cheliax; a large brutish man carrying an expensive but well-worn travel trunk and wrangling all the baggage, and another neatly dressed and tidily presented woman, likely an assistant or other minor bureaucrat.

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

"I like boats." says Rassmussen helpfully.

"Hey, look, before we go any further, right? I need to do something with you guys."

The tall man goes to each person in the party in turn, lays an index finger on their forehead and mumbles a quiet phrase while he stares into that person's eyes. It's a little disconcerting, and for a moment each person can feel a sensation of two pulses swimming under their skins, but they quickly come into sync.

"There. Now it'll be easier for me to, like, heal you, right? So, like, If you go off on your own and get too far away, you'll break the link and I'll need to do it again. But otherwise I feel the flow of your life spirits." Here he puts his hands up a little and flutters his fingers about in mystical wonder while he sways and bobs in place, looking very pleased with himself.

Initiating a Life-Link with all party members.

For those unfamiliar with the power, at the beginning of each round where you are injured and the link is active, you heal 5 hp and Rassmussen takes 5 hp damage onto himself. I'll try and remind you all as we move through combats, but be aware that this will happen automatically, with no action on your part or mine.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"Thank you. I do not intend on wandering off alone, our group is not amongst friends - so no need to wander off and come to a sticky end as an easier target for those looking for a dishonest victory"

"Part of the reason I travel as so openly a Chel and an agent of the Order of the Gate is that very few people choose to try engage in small talk, they try not to look to closely, and very few people attempt to pry information out of you - hard to ask questions and spend time looking for clues and information when you are trying to avoid someone"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6
'Hellion' Svetlana Irriseni wrote:
"Part of the reason I travel as so openly a Chel and an agent of the Order of the Gate is that very few people choose to try engage in small talk, they try not to look to closely, and very few people attempt to pry information out of you - hard to ask questions and spend time looking for clues and information when you are trying to avoid someone"

This clearly baffles Rassmussen.

"Wow. Like... bummer." he says, a little sadly. He briefly regards the Hellknight's two attendants then shrugs a little and awkwardly scratches an angry patch of skin on his neck.

"I hope they have soup on the island." he adds, to no one in particular.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.
Rassmussen wrote:
"I hope they have soup on the island." he adds, to no one in particular.

"A hearty soup is good for the soul. It is an honest meal, a cold soup can be enjoyed in the tropics when a hot meal would be unpalatable, and nothing can beat a rich hearty hot soup when the mountains are blasting snow"

"Are you a cook?"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

”I’m pretty good with lentils.”

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"The humble lentil, a versatile gift that offers nourishment and sustainment to many. Farming and gardening are both noble and righteous pursuits - early to rise, early to bed - and no time to involve themselves in less savoury pursuits"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

"Yeah, right on!" agrees Rassmussen enthusiastically.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"What about you two?" Svetlana puts the question to Kal and Diaz, "What of your backgrounds? You don't appear humble farmers or kitchen hands"

"And where is this ferryman?" she tsks out loud, as though the delay for a boat may be testing her patience.

Silver Crusade

Ruby Phoenix Tournament | NG male (he/him) human (Varisian) alchemist 12 | AC 26 (T 15, FF 22) | HP 111/111 | P +20, I +4 | F +14 (+16 vs poison), R +15, W +10 | Bombs: 22/22, Fly: 12/12, Clover: 3/3 | Active Conditions: ant haul

"In a former life, I was a beekeeper," explains Diazepane. "I was young and reckless, and my infected hive brought disaster to all my loved ones. I try to use all the alchemical knowledge that I've gained to help others - or to destroy evil."

Diazepane gladly shows his collection of glass vials - some with a fiery red liquid, some with a frosty blue liquid, and some that just glow with raw force.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"Sounds like you have learned from early mistakes and grown, and with that growth has come a sense of altruism. Commendable."

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

Rassmussen quietly ponders how reckless beekeeping leads to better living through alchemy, nodding vaguely as he stares at nothing.


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

The ferry that arrives proves to be more than a single man can handle. But it also proves to be nothing more than a large fishing boat crowded with eager contestants, excited spectators, and the native fishermen who call the island home. Clearly, the captain is taking advantage of the Ruby Phoenix tournament to make a little more money than he could simply bringing in fish.

Maybe more than a little money as the passengers are packed in rather tightly and the water laps uncomfortably close to the top of the gunwales as you sail out into the bay toward Xielan Island.

A particularly friendly passenger approaches you, tilts back her conical
hat and cheerfully introduces herself. "Hi, I'm Risha."

Though dressed in the clothing of a Gokan fisherman, the woman is Avistani, with auburn hair and sharp Chelish features. A large pack on her back further suggests she's no simple fisherman. She gives Svetlana a nod of patriotic acknowledgement.

"Here for the tournament? Of course you are, what an inane question. No one is going to Xielan Island if they're not going to the tournament. I mean, here to watch the tournament or here to participate in the tournament?"

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

Svetlana, still dressed as an emissary (and in no way a Pathfinder), seems to enjoy the boat ride and the opportunity to see the sights.

"Svetlana, humble representative of the Order of the Gate. Have you ever met any of our countrymen who were ever able to simply spectate? We end up 'participating' one way or another in just about everything we show an interest in - such is the endless machinations of our homeland" the answer left politely ambiguous.

"I love the local fashions, and that traditional fishermans attire is so casually chic" she offers genuinely, her tone changes subtly though as she looks Risha in the eyes "Planning on catching many?" the question is offered jovially, but clearly not about fish.

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

"I like your hat." says Rassmussen a little shyly to Risha.

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

"I was a handle model, for an advertising group in Absalom for a bit. I am sure we can make that part of my origin story."

Throughout the boat ride, Kal manages to find a little more space than most other people- though whether that is because of his sharp jet black nails, his surprisingly sharp k9 teeth, or the 7ft bladed weapon he carries, he can't quite be sure.

"Pleasure to meet you, Risha- the name is Kal'Ryon. I see that you are also traveling for the tournament and we could offer you the same question. I would suppose our intentions are our own..." as his eyes flitter to the pole arm that he carries. "But I can see why you might think that we would be competing"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6

"Oh, yeah, we're going to win it." adds Rassmussen matter-of-factly, without a shred of boasting.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

I can see that despite the otherwise crowded nature of the boat that there is probably a fair amount of room given to someone who looks like they might be involved in inquisitions and the large sharp tooth man with the big bladed objects - we don't sound like the most welcoming group - except Rass with his lentil casserole :)

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

Handle model == hand model. That might make a little more sense


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Oh sure, sure, you've got me there. A Chelaxian isn't going to go somewhere unless they're going to make an impact," Risha responds to Svetlana.

"Thanks," she replies to Rassmussen, running her fingers along the brim of her hat.

"I was hoping to blend in, but I guess looking like this," she gestures to her blonde hair and clearly Avistani appearance, "that was never likely."

She looks over the three of them. "A polearm wielder, eh? Power or finesse?" she asks Kal'Ryon.

"And a summoner? Sorcerer? Wizard? No, I don't see your gear but you have the feel of a martial," she says to Svetlana.

"And you seem to be a healer or wizard?"

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"Thank you, it is all about maintaining ones mental and physical strength to better home the spiritual - so maintaining ones physical shape is a virtue. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a person healthy, wealthy, and too busy to be a heretic." Svetlana jests "I am certainly considered some sort of 'magician' because when I ask questions of difficult people the truth magically appears, I like to think it is my well-trained tongue and mind, but I suspect the hot pokers and rack probably contribute to my success. The Order of the Gate is lead by a Vicarius, we're the only order with a Vicarius as a leader instead of a Lictor coming from the warriors so it is a great place for Signifiers, whether arcane or divine, to ascend to the very top position"

"Rass is a lentil enthusiast and journeyman cook, Kal here has a modeling background - so largely decorative, and Diaz knows about beekeeping"

"Between you and I, I suspect Diaz to be the most dangerous amongst us as he has shown signs of understanding distilling and brewing, which we when we combine with his honeybees makes mead - he may tempt you with his wares and leave you with a shocking hangover" she confides "One to watch with caution. Unless of course the hand model steals away your heart with good looks and well-manicured hands"

Svetlana remains polite and engaging, but equally evasive.

"What of yourself? A large pack suggests a lot of travel, been anywhere of interest?"

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6
EbonFist wrote:
"And you seem to be a healer or wizard?"

Rassmussen grows more serious at this question.

"Yeah, I'm a healer. I don't really know how to fight, and I don't want to learn, but I do support the good that the Pathfinders do, you know? So I contribute by offering healing services."

Svetlana wrote:
...but I suspect the hot pokers and rack probably contribute to my success.

Rassmussen looks both shocked and disappointed at this revelation. "Whoa... torture is really uncool." he says sadly, looking down at his feet.

Silver Crusade

Ruby Phoenix Tournament | NG male (he/him) human (Varisian) alchemist 12 | AC 26 (T 15, FF 22) | HP 111/111 | P +20, I +4 | F +14 (+16 vs poison), R +15, W +10 | Bombs: 22/22, Fly: 12/12, Clover: 3/3 | Active Conditions: ant haul

"There's no need for torture here. This is a semi-friendly tournament, no? We will fight our hardest on the battlefield, and then perhaps try some local fermented beverage afterwards, hmm?"

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.
Rassmussen wrote:
Rassmussen looks both shocked and disappointed at this revelation. "Whoa... torture is uncool." he says sadly, looking down at his feet.

"Sadly there are those who stray from the path of righteous lentil-farming or dwelling in a harmonious society, worse, they seek to destroy the peace and beauty you build. Take Rovagug for example, there is nothing pleasant about that being of chaos and wanton destruction for the love of destruction, yet the Devourer finds followers and cultists in even the most cosmopolitan locale - and those cultists plan murder and tearing at the fabric of society in the darkness and spread their gospel of hate. They are beyond reasoning, and not people even the most delicious lentil soup can sway back to the path - no they are set in their madness, and like a surgeon, the Hellknight Orders must carve out the rot and cauterize the wounds. In this way we can have peace, you can have the beauty of your soup pot, and happiness spread"

"Even Old Deadeye Erastil would concur that it is an act of kindness to protect the herd by culling a diseased beast before it can infect and kill others. One doesn't necessarily take pleasure in the act, but the act must be done"

"Sarenrae, Look closely at the Dawnflower too. She is the great healer that spreads the opportunity for redemption and a return to the correct path in life - yet even she preaches a swift end for those who remain unrepentant"

"The road to goodness and light travels through many stretches of darkness my friend"

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.
Diazepane Ketal wrote:
"There's no need for torture here. This is a semi-friendly tournament, no? We will fight our hardest on the battlefield, and then perhaps try some local fermented beverage afterwards, hmm?"

"Indeed, this is a friendly competition, not an inquisition. Here's to sampling many local delicacies in the post-event celebrations"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

In case you haven't looked through the slide deck, Risha is on Slide 6.

"Oh, no where as interesting as this, of course. Growing up, I never would have thought I'd end up on the other side of the road," she says.

She pats her pack. "You know the old saying, better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it. A traveler can never be too prepared."

Risha gives a jaunty wave as the boat pulls into the docks. "Well, it was nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll see you again in the tournament," she says as she takes her leave.

As the contestants arrive, townsfolk shower them with cherry blossoms and hand out ceramic cups filled with warm, pungent liquor. The crowd forms a reception that leads to the center of town, where a crowded noodle house, Yon Loi’s, serves as the hub of all activity in New Harbor. The noodle house is a large, open-air structure centered around a courtyard filled with long, shaded tables for commoners. Smaller round tables fill a roofed balcony surrounding the courtyard, from which wealthier patrons and the tournament elite may look over the establishment. The kitchen sits on the ground floor, behind a short partition.

The townsfolk help in seating and serving the newly arriving contestants. Each receives a complimentary bowl of salty noodle soup containing fish and vegetables.

The layout for Yon Loi's is on slide 4.

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6
'Hellion' Svetlana Irriseni wrote:
"Sadly there are those who stray from the path of righteous ... The road to goodness and light travels through many stretches of darkness my friend"

Rassmussen keeps looking down glumly throughout the Hellknight's lecture, then shrugs when she finishes.

"That's all as may be. But it's a bad habit to get into." he asserts stubbornly.

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6
EbonFist wrote:
In case you haven't looked through the slide deck, Risha is on Slide 6.

Oh, she looks much less friendly in that picture than I'd imagined lol

EbonFist wrote:
The townsfolk help in seating and serving the newly arriving contestants. Each receives a complimentary bowl of salty noodle soup containing fish and vegetables.

"Oh... Umm--do you have a vegetarian option? I don't eat meat."

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

Svetlana graciously accepts the food and drink, but leaves a trail of untouched alcohol and appetizers behind her.

"Avoiding the alcohol, need to stay sharp and not get caught sluggish if we find ourselves in a game of wits or even steel"

"Yes, a vegetarian option, my companion likes lentils and I will also eat them in solidarity with him"

"He will also say a prayer for our continued good health" she asserts factually and forcibly, her tone suggesting the matter isn't up for conversation.

..by 'prayer' that is detect poison and purify food and drink on our meals, gifts, baskets of fruit in our room - trust nobody. Speaking of rooms, I'm also having flashbacks to Blood under Absalom which was the feeder to this scenario and the nastiness in that - check everything - 11 years later and I still have trust issues :p


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

As Svetlana prepares her proverbial 10' pole, the servers bow and take those bowls away only to return soon after with fresh bowls without the fish.

"You don't eat meat? Well, that explains why you're eating noodles with noodles!" a bulky, heavily muscled hobgoblin says, grabbing one of Rassmussen's biceps and giving it a rough shake.

He laughs and kneels next to your table, heedless of the way that he impedes traffic moving up and down the aisle.

"Come on, noodle arms. Let's see what you've got. The rest of us came here to fight, but it looks like you'd have a hard time wrestling a baby kobold," the hobgoblin taunts, resting his elbow on the table and holding his hand up in the universal invitation for an arm wrestling match.

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

As the town celebrates around them, Kal smiles. Once for the mug of fine liquor, and a second for swooping up the cup offered to Svetlana.

"If only all towns could be like this.." he muses, as the drinks the offered beverages.
"Relax Svetlana, if they are attempting to poison us then they are poisoning the whole of the city too. Besides, what is a little liquor compared to a full belly of fire anyways?"

As they sit, the Ganzi bristles with the hobgoblin's approach to the table. "Seems like you intentionally picked the only person at the table you thought you could beat. For all of your talk about baby kobolds, you seemed to be avoiding the dragon...". Kal's eyes flash gold for a moment, and a static like, swirling energy fills the space around him increasing with his increased agitation at the stranger. His hair blows wildly despite the still air in the place, and light glints across his sizeable K9s as he smiles.

"Now, what is it that you came here to trouble us about?"

intimidation: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

Svetlana begins ensuring her cups are left within arms reach of Kal, he's a seasoned Pathfinder who knows what he's doing, and probably has not only a few aces up his sleeve but potentially the whole deck of cards.

"If this was Cheliax we'd poison the whole town" she jokes(?) "I'll stick to simple fare, all blessed by Rassmussen of course - his lentil-powered love is a gift to all of us"

She watches the dynamic with the hobgoblin "You'll have the opportunity to taste his noodle in the ring no doubt. Thank you for your interest, but unless the referees are here to keep score we're enjoying our dinner but not so much your company. The wine comes highly recommended, why not go fill your cup" she dismisses the hobgoblin with a wave of her cup.

Silver Crusade

Ruby Phoenix Tournament | NG male (he/him) human (Varisian) alchemist 12 | AC 26 (T 15, FF 22) | HP 111/111 | P +20, I +4 | F +14 (+16 vs poison), R +15, W +10 | Bombs: 22/22, Fly: 12/12, Clover: 3/3 | Active Conditions: ant haul

Diazepane will eat without too much worry about poison - his years of beekeeping have given him a certain resistance to poisons.

As the hobgoblin harasses Rassmussen, Diazepane will stand with the party in solidarity. Diazepane isn't physically intimidating, but he likes to make his presence known.

"I believe there was a Tien general who once advised to appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak," he says, shading the hobgoblin.

Liberty's Edge

M Aasimar Oracle(life)11(dual cursed:lame, wasting disease)|darkvision 60'|HP:80/80|AC:24.F24,T12|F+7,R+5,W+11|Init+2|Spd20|PERC+6|DIP+12|HNDL ANIM+4|HEAL+15|KN(his)+5|KN(nat)+5|KN(Pln)+5|KN(rel)+8|PERF(lute)+4|SENSE MOT+9|SPELL+7|SURV +6
EbonFist wrote:
"You don't eat meat? Well, that explains why you're eating noodles with noodles!" a bulky, heavily muscled hobgoblin says, grabbing one of Rassmussen's biceps and giving it a rough shake.

At first, Rassmussen thinks this is rather clever, and he grins genially. "Right on, man! Noodles forever!"

EbonFist wrote:
"Come on, noodle arms. Let's see what you've got. The rest of us came here to fight, but it looks like you'd have a hard time wrestling a baby kobold," the hobgoblin taunts, resting his elbow on the table and holding his hand up in the universal invitation for an arm wrestling match.

Rassmussen looks very disappointed suddenly. "Oh... what a drag, you're just a fascist bully. Leave the baby kobolds alone man."

For a moment Rassmussen tries to remember that clever saying about hobgoblins --- what was it? Hobgoblins with small minds are foolishly consistent? Something like that...

But in the end, he decides that a better rejoinder is to reach back for his lute, sling it over his shoulder, and begin strumming the same note over and over.

"Noodles for peace, noodles for peace, noodles for peeeeeace..."

Concentration check to cast defensively: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26

Casting 'Sanctuary', Will DC 18

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG Sniper 8th / Slayer 2nd / Ranger 2| HP:100/100 | AC:27 T:18 FF:19| CMB:12 CMD:29 | Saves F:+13 R:+23 W:+7 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+14 | Per: +24

Stealth: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (9) + 26 = 35

A rather tall dude emerges from the shadows in a corner, fingers lightly tapping upon the longbow in his hand. Eying the hobgoblin, he says, ”Pardon the intrusion, m’Lord, but I don’t eat meat either…and my arms might be a bit noodly as well so…how about an archery competition instead?”


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Ah, you look like you could actually be a challenge," the hobgoblin replies to Kal'Ryon. He looks like he is about to extend his challenge to the other man but the rest of the Pathfinders chime in.

He scowls at Svetlana wondering if there is a double entendre in her answer.

"Ha! This IS me appearing weak!" he replies to Diazepane's wisdom as he rises to his feet.

A single eyebrow raises at Rassmussen's "song." "Okay," he says, looking at the others. [b]"Hoping for pity, I see. Well, you're in the wrong place. No one's going to go easy on this guy just because he's...special...

"Nice trick," he scoffs at Daedîn and his sudden appearance. "But I'm not really interested in hitting something if I can't feel the blood splash on my face so you can keep your sticks.

"In fact, you can keep to yourself. We'll settle this in the Grand Pavillion, anyway. Don't worry noodle arms, I'll buy you a nice big steak when you wake up. We'll make a warrior out of you, whether you like it or not," the hobgoblin says, throwing in a parting shot before going to another table.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"I wonder how much more intelligence gathering we will be subjected to?" Svetlana shrugs as she ponders out loud to her companions.

She returns to her 'blessed' noodles with noodles.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG Sniper 8th / Slayer 2nd / Ranger 2| HP:100/100 | AC:27 T:18 FF:19| CMB:12 CMD:29 | Saves F:+13 R:+23 W:+7 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+14 | Per: +24

The archer bows mockingly to the hobgoblin as it leaves, saying sardonically, ”Thank you much, kind sir! I will return the favor and make a pin cushion out of you…whether you like it or not…”

The cloaked dude then turns to face the table, bows much more graciously, then pulls back the hood of his cloak to reveal long dark flowing hair and a face full of sharp Elven features. ”Daedîn, at your service; you are the Pathfinders Aram Zey described, I presume? He chewed my ass something fierce for being late…and I apologize sincerely for being tardy in catching up to you. Seems I had trouble…extricating myself…from a Callistrian temple…

“But Master Zey he has filled me in on the mission so I’m up to speed. Have you learned anything here? Aside from the rudeness of hobgoblins, of course…”

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"I've learnt that the other competitors are fiercely fishing for information on us, and trying to work out who we are and how we operate"

"Callistrian temples? The savoured sting is such a popular distraction it seems, nevertheless you go here and seem in one piece"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

The Pathfinders aren't the only source of interest at the banquet. In fact, there seems to be a constant flow of contestants and spectators from one table to another. Some of the overheard conversation is direct with people asking how contestants feel about their chances or how they intend to deal with one competitor or another while others are more subtle but with the same intentions.

The group is nonetheless left alone for a few minutes before a new visitor appears.

An Avistani man pulls a chair up to your table. "Sorry to interrupt," he says. "I'm Marthysan, the current Ruby Phoenix Champion.

"As you know, the tournament will begin tomorrow morning. I wanted to see if you had any questions either about the tournament or the island and to offer my services as an advisor and guide."

Marthysan is on slide 1.

Dark Archive

F Tief (Pit) Ftr 5/HK7 - HP124 AC-28/T-15/F-25 CMB17 CMD31 F:+14 R:+9: W+8/ Perc+13 - Dkvis 60' |Init+5(+combat reflex), Move 30'.

"With the amount of prying ears around this might not be the best place to talk"

"Well my first question is 'can I trust you', but that is a question I would need to divine by other means, you are a Paladin, so you understand the need to be sure you are dealing with the truth. I am a Hellknight and I root out the chaos and lies. We're closer than most would imagine as a result.

"Do you mind if I use some major divinations?"

1 to 50 of 362 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ebon Fist's Ruby Phoenix Tournament All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.