Shadow's Last Stand, Part 2 [PFS] by GM Chrios

Game Master Torilgrey

Maps and info here!


1 to 50 of 262 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

The cool ocean air of Almas is less forgiving than usual this early morning, leaving the streets empty even of vagrants. As the moon showers its last ivory rays onto the cobblestone street and the tip of the sun begins to climb over the watery horizon, a lone figure slinks out from a nearby alleyway, pulling back its hood and revealing itself to be Venture-Captain Alissa Moldreserva, a dour expression cemented to her face. “It’s a shame we couldn’t have met at the lodge, but thanks to all the disappearances and political turmoil as of late, I’d say it’s best to keep a low profile for the time being, at least until things get sorted out. It’s bad enough that the good name of Pathfinders everywhere is being slandered by that treacherous group of villains, the ones who call themselves the Shadow Lodge—now the politicians are on our hides thanks to that
damnable Ouidda.
No doubt you’ve heard of her—Dorianna Ouidda, one of the representatives on the Peoples’ Council here in Almas. She showed up in Almas a few years back, and she’s been out to get the Society ever since. Her origins are damn-near untraceable by practical means; it took us this long to finally get to the bottom of the matter, and while it’s no secret she has it out for the Society, few know the truth behind the matter, which is what I’m here to tell you.
“We have it on good authority that Ouidda is none other than the Spider—the leader of the Shadow Lodge cell here in Almas—and that she’s been using her fellow cabalists to smear our name throughout the city. She’s trying to get the legitimate members of the Society either completely run out of Almas or completely under her thumb, but for what reason, we don’t yet know. We know she’s got some shady dealings in her past with the slave trade, and we think she might be up to some of that business here in Almas too.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"No worries about not meeting at the lodge, Venture-Captain. I completely understand under these circumstances. Winnie and I are more at ease outside, to be completely honest. Say, that's a lot of efforts from that Dorianna to discredit our work here. You're probably right that slavery is providing her with the motivation to oppose us in honest lands like these. Thing is, I think she picked the wrong place to try this, and when the hammer falls, it will fall hard. She must be extra crafty and sneaky to even attempt this here. Say... you don't mind Winnie taking up your scent now do you? in case we later deal with Ouidda trying to impersonate you or using clever illusions? she sounds like someone who would love to turn us against each other..."

Zeldana awaits the Venture-Captain's permission before bringing Winnie close to her to take up her scent.

Sovereign Court

CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +6, R +1, W +6 (+2 & DR 5 neg energy) | Perc. +13 | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6, CMD 16 | Fervor 4/day (2d6) | Active Conditions: Lucky# 12

Looking haggard and worn, with dark circles under his eyes, Piotr can barely contain himself while in human form. He staggers along as he tries to keep up with his group, occasionally wiping the sweat from his brow as the group wanders the streets of Almas in their search for where to meet this Venture Captain.

Piotr stumbles to a halt and leans against a wall to catch his breath.
"I n-n-need to get somewhere p-p-private... to ch-ch-change form," he mutters, bending over and putting his hands on his knees as he sweats profusely.
"Or, at l-l-least, get a s-s-stiff d-d-drink soon..."

The sudden appearance of Venture-Captain Moldreserva nearly causes Piotr to jump out of his skin, literally.
"GAH!!!" Piotr gasps in shock as he falls back onto his rear end, his heavy armor and weapons creating a clanging cacophony.
He clambers to his feet and listens to what the Venture Captain has to say...

"D-d-dorianna. Right. I s-s-suppose we should check the slavers' m-m-market for her th-th-then?" he stammers, his face as pale as a ghost.

Assuming this mission will most likely be one of subterfuge, with a trembling hand, Piotr tucks his Wayfinder under the front of his breastplate.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"Slavers' market? in ALMAS? if there's such a thing, and you know where it is, then I'm not sure I want to be near you..." says Zeldana, frowning, and her hand subconsciously moving closer to her scimitar's hilt...

Liberty's Edge

Animal Companion to Zeldana Bordana | Female N Owlbear Animal Companion | HD 6 | Effective Druid Level 7 Progression | HP 66/66 | AC 27 T 10 FF 26 | CMD 24 | F+9 R+6 W+3 | Init +1| Low Light Vision, Scent, Perception +5 | Speed 50 ft | Conditions: barkskin, greater magic fang, longstrider, feather step, antitoxin, inspire courage, good hope,

The owlbear senses her mistress' affront and tenses up visibly, a low growl barely audible...

Liberty's Edge

Female LG Gnome Rolling Pin-wielding Level 6 GOON! | HP 34/50 | AC 16 (T16, FF14) | CMD 15 | F:+11, R:+12, W:+4 (+4 vs sleep, +2 vs fear & illusion, +1 vs enchant) | Init: +1 | Perc: +8 (+10 listen), SM: +6 |Speed 20ft |Shirt Reroll: 1/1, Pin: 1/1|Martial Flex 4/4, Eternal Hope 0/1, Stun Fist 1/1, Bombs 4/4, Mutagen 1/1, Tricks 2/3| Gnome Magic (Used: ); Extracts: True Strike, 1 Open| Mes Spells: 2/2 |Active Conditions: Reflect Fear

Jilla, a middle-aged gnome woman with multi-hued hair, looks like she's had a rough few days. There are dark circles under her eyes, her normally chipper disposition is subdued, and she's clutching a strange, silver blanket like it were a raft keeping her afloat in vast, dark ocean. The talk of slaves makes her agitated. "Slavers? I'm ready to bust their heads wide open!" Her little fists clench in anticipation.

Sovereign Court

CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +6, R +1, W +6 (+2 & DR 5 neg energy) | Perc. +13 | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6, CMD 16 | Fervor 4/day (2d6) | Active Conditions: Lucky# 12
Zeldana Bordana wrote:
"Slavers' market? in ALMAS? if there's such a thing, and you know where it is, then I'm not sure I want to be near you..." says Zeldana, frowning, and her hand subconsciously moving closer to her scimitar's hilt...

Piotr's sunken eyes go wide in a mix of confusion and fear.

"Wait... wh-wh-what? Where are w-w-we? We're not in Ch-ch-cheliax...? Or Qadira?"
His eyes dart back and forth as he glances at the faces of his new teammates.
"Wh-wh-who are you!?!"
He suddenly realizes he's with a new team of Pathfinder agents, which is usual after blacking out quite often from transforming to wolf form and back every few days. It's been several months since his last mission and he doesn't remember meeting this new group. It was, most likely, back in some Venture Captain's office at the Grand Lodge of Absalom. Nor does he remember how they got to...
"Almas?" he mumbles as he brushes his hair out of his eyes with a shaky hand.
"We're in Almas. Ok." he says with a small sigh of relief.

Grand Lodge

Male N Half-Elf Wizard 7|Buffs: Mage Armor, Prestidigitation, Light (sheathed dagger), Haste | HP 62/62 | AC 16 Incorp T 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +4 CMD 15| F +6 R +5 W +6,+2 vs Enchantment/Cold,+1 vs Fear/Confusion| INIT +8| PER +23 Low Light Vision SM+2|Speed 60'|Resist 10 Negative Energy Damage
Resources:
Shirt Re-roll 1/1, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Four Leaf Clover 3/3, Force Missiles: 8/9,+1 Knowledge 1/1|Spells 1st 5/7, 2nd 5/6,3rd 3/4 4th 2/3

Igor nods at the others. The wizard is clearly not outspoken but he is not actively aloof either but simply introverted and very bookish.

"I am sure it will be another exciting adventure. Hopefully people will try to keep their head this time and not be overly impulsive."


HP 31/31 |AC 26 Incorp T 15 T 11 FF 25 |CMB +6 CMD 15|F +3 R +2 W +5|PER +10 Darkvision 60',Tremor Sense 60' SM+0|Speed 40',Burrow 40',Earth Glide,Stealth +7|Improved Evasion|Immune: Crits,Sneak Attack,Flanking, Precision Damage, Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning|Small Earth Elemental Familiar N Buffs : Mage Armor, Haste

An earth elemental comes trundling in. His brilliant blues eyes sparkle like gem stones and he smiles as he sees a familiar face. He waves hello to Jilla. He speaks to Igor in his own language but perhaps someone else speaks his native tongue as well.

If anyone speaks Terran they can talk to Tiny Pebble directly.

Liberty's Edge

Female LG Gnome Rolling Pin-wielding Level 6 GOON! | HP 34/50 | AC 16 (T16, FF14) | CMD 15 | F:+11, R:+12, W:+4 (+4 vs sleep, +2 vs fear & illusion, +1 vs enchant) | Init: +1 | Perc: +8 (+10 listen), SM: +6 |Speed 20ft |Shirt Reroll: 1/1, Pin: 1/1|Martial Flex 4/4, Eternal Hope 0/1, Stun Fist 1/1, Bombs 4/4, Mutagen 1/1, Tricks 2/3| Gnome Magic (Used: ); Extracts: True Strike, 1 Open| Mes Spells: 2/2 |Active Conditions: Reflect Fear

Jilla gives Tiny Pebble a wave before addressing the group.

"So anyone got any leads on Ouidda? Or maybe we oughtta ask some slaver scum the hard way!" She takes out a rolling pin and slaps it against one hand before looking ashamed and putting it away when it starts to cry. "It's . . . just a thing that happened," she explains.

@GM: Are Knowledge (local) or other related checks available?


Venture Captain Moldreserva leans against a rain barrel in the alleyway, looking at Piotr with mild concern for a moment before continuing, I knew I picked the right team for the mission, thank you all. There should be a couple more Pathfinders joining us, but here's what we know: Ouidda is going to be speaking in front of the People's Council in two days time, and what we've learned is that she's going to be spreading some false information about the Society which would be very damaging to our presence here in Almas, and potentially all of Andoran. she lets out a long sigh, looking up and down the alleyway for the other Pathfinders.

Thing is, we don't have enough solid evidence that she's associated with the Shadow Lodge, or that she's the Spider, or her potential involvement with slave trading and kidnappings here in Andoran. That's where you come in. The morning after next is her speech-if you can uncover proof of what she's doing here and stop her from delivering her speech before the legislature. I recommend you start finding clues as quickly as possible during the day tomorrow, and make the rest of your moves at night so you don't arouse too much suspicion.

While I'd normally suggest we handle Society matters ourselves, this time it is a bit different. If we strike directly at an elected member of the People's Council, we risk the very result of disgracing the Pathfinders - which is what we want to avoid. This needs to be handled legally, which means evidence and exposing her for the scoundrel she is.

Feel free to ask more questions while we wait for the others to check in!

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"Any intel on where she resides or operates? Who are her known associates?"

Sovereign Court

CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +6, R +1, W +6 (+2 & DR 5 neg energy) | Perc. +13 | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6, CMD 16 | Fervor 4/day (2d6) | Active Conditions: Lucky# 12

Piotr raises a shaky hand.
"Who are the m-m-members of the P-p-peoples Council?"
Trying to keep from vomiting, he then adds, "Any su-g-g-gestions on where we should s-s-start?"

Silver Crusade

half-orc cleric of Shelyn 4 | HP 10/31 | AC 16, T 10, FF 16 | F: +6 R: +3, W: +9 | Perc +4 | Init +4

Garsita nods to Jilla, Tiny Pebble, and Igor, who she's just been on a mission with. Her face also darkens at the mention of slavery and dark dealings. She will certainly do what she can. The Lady of Grace would want no less from her.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Wizard 5 Init+2 AC 14 (18) T12 (16) FF12 (16) HP 37/37 Fort+5 Ref+6 Will+5 Perc+0 Spd 20 Wand of Mage Armor 38/50; Wand of Magic Missile 39/50 ; Wand of Burning Hands CL3 1/50 ; Wand of CLW 42/50; Wand of Ray of Enfeeblement 47/50;Hand of App 5/6

Come on, Lybna... You always make us late to the Society's meeting with your unfiltered gluttony!

The man, or dwarf, who just talked like that was holding a weasel, who was itself holding in its jaws an half chewed fish.

He looks at the various faces around him, and recognise no one. As everyone look or talk to the local Venture Captain, it's not too hard to deduce who's got authority right here. He listen to the Captain's answer politely before introducing himself

May I offer my apologies ONCE AGAIN.for our lateness, Venture-Captain? My name is Eredur Smagg, the Younger, and I hope my skills can be useful in this mission.


The Venture-Captain nods in thanks, I'm just glad you were able to meet us here safely. she says in a way of welcome to Eredur. She continues, The Spider is the moniker that Almas' most cunning criminal mastermind has long gone by. Only recently have anonymous reports sent from someone with much knowledge of our organization revealed a connection between this Spider and Ouddia. If we can prove the two are one and the same, we can easily discredit her and end her plot against the Decimverate.

Turning back to Piotr, The members of the People's Council are democratically elected citizens of Andoran, and run the gamut of people here from generous to selfish. Democracy is a strange thing sometimes....

And lastly addressing Zeldana, Ouidda's web of contacts is vast, and her influence strong, so there's no telling where this may lead you. Owners or proprietors of the corrupt businesses she uses to launder money or serve as cover operations are especially suspect. But what those are, I'm not sure. You'll need to find them in the city. Depending on how discrete you are she may send some of her own agents after you in short order. Be on the watch for assassins, though there's no telling what kind of creatures - or whether they'll be magical or not - a person of Ouidda's influence may have access to.

Time is of the essence though, she's on the docket to give her speech two days and two nights from now, at mid-morning. You'll need to have all your evidence against her by then. Once you find your initial leads, you'll probably be moving at night for the most part, which should give you plenty of time to accomplish your tasks before the speech. Do try to get a couple hours of shut-eye somewhere in there though. she chuckles with the last.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human (ulfen)

Suddenly, from across the street, a woman's voice with an Ulfen accent can be heard shouting, "YOO-HOO!!! Piotr! Is that you!?!” the woman calls out in a sing-song tone, waving her hand in the air to get Piotr's attention.

Turning towards the voice, you see a large, rotund woman donned in Ulfen platemail and a horned helm hurrying towards you. Piotr, bracing himself against the wall, rolls his eyes, and appears to become even paler.
"Brunhilde." he mutters under his breath, an unpleasant look on his face.

"Oh! My Piotr! I'm so glad I found you!" Brunhilde gently grabs Piotr to keep him from falling then turns to the group, a friendly smile on her plump, rosy-cheeked face framed with long, golden braids of hair flowing from underneath her great helm.
"So sorry to interrupt." she says with a quick smile and a tip of her helm, then continues in a more serious manner, "Good day, my friends. I am Brunhilde. I'm a good friend of Piotr's."
Piotr, on the verge of passing out, nods in agreement. Brunhilde then turns her attention to Piotr.
"Oh, my poor, poor boy. Come, let's take care of you." She hefts Piotr into her arms and carries him into the alley. "Excuse us. Zis vill only take a minute," she says to the group in her thick Ulfen accent as she hurries past.

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

Curious, you turn to observe the spectacle unfolding in the dim alley. Brunhilde gently places Piotr on the cobblestones, muttering barely audible, soothing words. An eerie silence descends, thickening the air as Piotr grunts and moans in pain. Bones begin to contort and crack, reshaping beneath agonizing spasms. Coarse, dark hair bursts through his skin, accompanied by claws elongating from his fingertips like emerging nightmares. Howls of pain blend with guttural growls as his eyes darken, then shift to a bright yellow hue, revealing a monstrous werewolf form that binds him to an ominous transformation.
With newfound strength, Piotr jumps to his feet, throws his head back, and bellows in deep, gutteral laughter.
"OHHH YEAHHH!!! Much better!!!"

He throws the cowl of his cloak over his head to conceal his lupine features. He rushes towards the group with Brunhilde close behind.
"This is Brunhilde. She'll be joining us on this mission." he says, as the large woman stands close to his side, a wide grin on her pudgy face.
"If anyone asks, I'm a gnoll." he says quietly. "And not a slaver." he adds.

Brunhilde is Piotr's Bodyguard vanity (description in her profile). She's a non-combatant and will be mostly "off screen". She'll occasionally pop in for roleplay reasons and comic relief.

Piotr the Wolf looks at the group expectantly.
"So. Where should we start?"

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

Zeldana seems taken aback by Piotr's transformation, and asks, "I hope your lycanthropy is not the kind that's catching, or that this will bite us back in the ass... literally..." She pauses for a nod or answer, then continues, "and to answer your question, apparently that Spider's web covers the entire city, BUT the Venture-Captain here is unable to give us the simplest of leads... back to basics, I guess, so let's hit the taverns, ask for information there, and make ourselves gods-damned targets..."

She storms off, not expecting more information from Moldreserva, which she seems to have very little patience for as a sudden.

Diplomacy to assist someone that's asking question when we get to the inns or taverns, trying actively not to punch that someone: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (17) - 2 = 15

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

"No, no, no," the beast shakes his head and waves his massive paws dismissively at Zeldana.
"I'm not cursed with lycanthropy. I'm wolfkin." he says as he puffs his chest out proudly. "Some call us skinwalkers. It's not a curse; it's a gift. I can tap into the essence of wolves, embracing their strength and agility. Unlike lycanthropy, I have control over my transformation, shifting into a powerful, wolf-like form at will. It's a connection with the wild, a harmonious blend of humanity and the untamed spirit of the wolf. And, praise be to Milani, she has chosen me as her divine vessel to overthrow tyranny wherever I am called."

Brunhilde leans in close and whispers into Zeldana's ear, "Und he'z quite zee dreamboat, ja?" and giggles softly.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"I heard tales of the wolfkin, and I must say I'm relieved he's not a werewolf," answers Zeldana to Brunhilde, trying to hide her reddening cheeks with the semblance of a professional reply. "Rumors in the northern parts of Andoran say the proud wolfkin sometimes unfairly reap the fruits of the werewolf's bad reputation. That's too bad... and unfair."

Out loud, she addresses Piotr, "You look better now that you've adopted your true form. Don't feel like forcing yourself into a human when we're around. We have your back, and the Andoren folk are an understanding lot."

Silver Crusade

half-orc cleric of Shelyn 4 | HP 10/31 | AC 16, T 10, FF 16 | F: +6 R: +3, W: +9 | Perc +4 | Init +4

"Do you heal normally? I've occasionally travelled with companions who healing spells could harm, and since I'm not familiar with your kind, I wanted to be sure I don't make things worse," Garsita asks Piotr.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"If we're talking healing, I got a wand right at my belt here for the deep cuts, and this pouch on the left is filled with berries that you can eat to get rid of minor scrapes.."

Wand of Cure Light Wounds; Goodberry x11

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12
Zeldana Bordana wrote:
Out loud, she addresses Piotr, "You look better now that you've adopted your true form. Don't feel like forcing yourself into a human when we're around. We have your back, and the Andoren folk are an understanding lot."

"Ahh. Thank the Everbloom. I feel much better." Piotr releases a slow, deep breath, his neck producing an audible pop as he casually twists it to the side. With a fluid motion, he rolls his shoulders, settling into a state of relaxation.

"I barely remember a thing from the past month. It wasn't you lot I was worried about. Pathfinders come from all walks of life and are mostly... welcoming. I look forward to serving in this mission with you all." he gives a slight, respectful nod to each teammate.

"It's the common folk that worries me. I've been chased by the angry 'torches and pitchforks' mobs a few times." He looks down in sadness for a moment.
[b]"Well, It's good to hear the Andoran people are understanding. This is my first time here... I think."

He pauses in thought and glances about at the city folk as they go about their business. Almas is a large place. He's pretty sure he hasn't been to Andoran before, however, he knows that Andoran is known as the Birthplace of Freedom.

Piotr turns to address Garsita.
"Yes. I heal normally even with magical healing. I have human blood. I'm not an outsider or a creature with an affinity to be healed by negative energy."

Then he turns to Zeldana.
"I, too, have healing. I think."
He quickly checks his handy haversack for healing items.
"Yep. A wand, some potions, and scrolls. I'm all set."

Piotr and Brunhilde quicky follow Zeldana as she storms off to the nearest tavern.


In the pre-dawn light, the tavern isn't what you would call overly full, and as the party of Pathfinders tumble in off the street, you draw some glances from the overnight workers who are unwinding from a long night of labor, but the dozen or so patrons go back to nursing their drinks without comment. The barman looks up from cleaning a glass, taking in your armor and weapons, but also doesn't comment about your presence other than silently acknowledging your presence in the tavern, Southside Johnny's

Zeldana's got an assist going already, who'd like to take point on the info gathering, and as time is an issue please remember to roll the time check on gather info! Also amazing RP already- makes me smile :D

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

Am I our diplomancer!?! (⁠°⁠o⁠°⁠)

@GM: Is it possible for me to pick up a Blue Book regarding Almas and consult it for an hour before we begin our investigations? I'd also like to purchase a few scrolls.

"If we're going to chat up the townsfolk for information, I have a way with chatting up Aristocrats, nobles, and... uh, dwarves." he emphasizes the last part with a shrug.
"I think dwarves like wolves, he surmises.
"Also, I am a Baron of Taldor and can use that authority to influence nobles. We should head to a dwarven temple or the city's administrative buildings after the taverns."

----------------------------

Entering Southside Johnny's, Piotr strides confidently up to the barkeep.
"Good day, my good man (dwarf?)" Piotr says in a pleasant tone with his deep, gutteral voice. He pulls out his coin pouch and offers to buy a drink for each of his teammates.
"How much would that cost?" he asks the barkeep.
"Also, I'm wondering if you have any information on the whereabouts of a Dorianna Ouidda?"
Piotr continues to press the barkeep for information for however long it takes. If bribes are needed, he consults with his teammates first.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Hours spent to gather info: 1d4 ⇒ 3

I have chronicle boons that grant a +2 bonus to diplomacy vs. lycanthropes, aristocrats, nobles, and dwarves. I doubt we'll find any lycans in Almas, though.

Sovereign Court

Female Human (ulfen)

"Oooo! Maybe zeez fine gentlemen would like to hear me zing? I vill give zem a taste of my opera, Piotr."

"NO!" Piotr suddenly blurts, pulling her back from approaching the small stage. "Uhh... no, Brunhilde. Not right now." he says in a more gentle tone.
He knows she means well, and she likes to practice her arias, however, Piotr would rather not subject the patrons to Brunhilde's terrible singing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

[b] I’m good with the picking up the blue book and some offscreen shopping prep. I’ll try to update tomorrow with what you’ve learned and see if anyone else wants to aid [/ooc]

Grand Lodge

Male N Half-Elf Wizard 7|Buffs: Mage Armor, Prestidigitation, Light (sheathed dagger), Haste | HP 62/62 | AC 16 Incorp T 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +4 CMD 15| F +6 R +5 W +6,+2 vs Enchantment/Cold,+1 vs Fear/Confusion| INIT +8| PER +23 Low Light Vision SM+2|Speed 60'|Resist 10 Negative Energy Damage
Resources:
Shirt Re-roll 1/1, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Four Leaf Clover 3/3, Force Missiles: 8/9,+1 Knowledge 1/1|Spells 1st 5/7, 2nd 5/6,3rd 3/4 4th 2/3

Igor knows that most Pathfinders will find any excuse to carouse even pretending to do "research". The wizard will borrow the newly purchased Blue Book from Piotr and study it while the man/wolf gets drunk.

26 Knowledge:Local on a take 10 to gather information.

This knowledge check will NOT take 3 hours of time. Any aids would be appreciated if any characters are actually trained in Knowledge:Local. :)

The Blue Book is a good idea but not something that my character would necessarily think of. I guess having a couple of party animals in the group can come in handy. :)


HP 31/31 |AC 26 Incorp T 15 T 11 FF 25 |CMB +6 CMD 15|F +3 R +2 W +5|PER +10 Darkvision 60',Tremor Sense 60' SM+0|Speed 40',Burrow 40',Earth Glide,Stealth +7|Improved Evasion|Immune: Crits,Sneak Attack,Flanking, Precision Damage, Bleed, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep effects, Stunning|Small Earth Elemental Familiar N Buffs : Mage Armor, Haste

Tiny Pebble stands guard over his master. He does not drink or eat but has been known to dance from time to time if the beat is good. Clearly at this early hour he does not expect music of any kind.


Working in tandem, Igor, Piotr, and Zeldana are able to find a don from Almas University by the name of Chulo Varotien, ... of course, I told them that the history of Taldor is far more linked with Cheliax than they choose to believe, but Taldans can be notoriously prickly about such things. I don't know much about the member's of the People's Council, but I've heard that this old half-elf, goes by the name Jarovar- a real stingy nasty type- has just set up a new investment house in Almas, but he refuses to subscribe to any of the merchant guilds in the city and he only deals with a few clients who get small contributions from him, one of whom is the Spider, I hear. Even stranger he makes odd ventures out of his shop in the dead of night, well after closing. What's even odder is that about two hours after midnight, he's out hauling loads of cargo from his shop to the docks. But then comes back from the docks without his carriage....

Okay that's the first set of clues, and with the knowledge check, let's say we're still in early morning. How would you like to proceed? Gather more information?

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"We should check out the docks and pay extra attention for any buildings burdened with an overabundance of carriages..."

Liberty's Edge

Female LG Gnome Rolling Pin-wielding Level 6 GOON! | HP 34/50 | AC 16 (T16, FF14) | CMD 15 | F:+11, R:+12, W:+4 (+4 vs sleep, +2 vs fear & illusion, +1 vs enchant) | Init: +1 | Perc: +8 (+10 listen), SM: +6 |Speed 20ft |Shirt Reroll: 1/1, Pin: 1/1|Martial Flex 4/4, Eternal Hope 0/1, Stun Fist 1/1, Bombs 4/4, Mutagen 1/1, Tricks 2/3| Gnome Magic (Used: ); Extracts: True Strike, 1 Open| Mes Spells: 2/2 |Active Conditions: Reflect Fear

Jilla nods, already looking drowsy despite the early hour. "We could do a midnight stakeout. Not like I'll sleep much anyway . . ."

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

"I suppose we should go to the investment house just after midnight. See what this Jarovar chap is up to."
Piotr downs the last of his mimosa and thanks the man for his time. Once outside, Piotr addresses the group.
"We've still got plenty of time until midnight. Checking the docks is a good idea, Zeldana. We should probably get some sleep just after noon and get up just before midnight, then head to Jarovar's. I'd rather be well rested than exhausted in case things take a wrong turn with Jarovar."

Silver Crusade

half-orc cleric of Shelyn 4 | HP 10/31 | AC 16, T 10, FF 16 | F: +6 R: +3, W: +9 | Perc +4 | Init +4

"Sleeping this afternoon makes sense. I may be able to prepare magic to help after that. The docks sound like a good place to investigate until then."


The lot of you traipse down to the docks, arriving by mid-morning, and find it abuzz with activity. Sailors and stevedores busily loading and unloading cargo onto ship and wagon alike. Passengers from some ships unsteadily take tentative steps once again on dry land, 'finding their land legs' and the bustle and noise of Almas seems to be in full swing. Asking around at the docks

????: 1d5 ⇒ 3

you come upon Horianos Stichen, who is supervising the unloading of a massive wagon full of 20' beams? posts? cut lengths of wood. He jokes and laughs with the stevedores as they sling wood onto a gantry as mules are hooked to the traces and begin lifting the first of what looks like many loads to the Qadirian-style ship. Heard a few things here and there, lots of rumors bouncing around this city - and I try to only believe half of them. I'm not liking the direction the People's Council seems to be leaning, and I don't know why they are.

If the rumors are true- and I hope they aren't- this Spider person is some kind of nasty arachnid, the kind who brings her creepy slaver buddies from far away. Only thing I seen from lands with slavers is a ship called the Sailswift out of Katapesh. He looks way down the docks, and finally out into the harbor pointing subtly with his head toward a sleek looking vessel anchored a ways off into the harbor.

[b]Thing is, they are unloading things like rugs, and maybe some pesh and other contraband that crew doesn't look Katapeshi. Eerie types, and they only do business at night. That ship only docks at night, and shoves back off when I'm starting my first deliveries at dawn. This wood takes a while to load and unload, so you understand...

He looks around nervously, I miss having a few Pathfinders about - they are getting a raw deal here in the city. Can't believe what's being said about 'em. Ehhh I've said too much already, gotta get this lumber loaded... as he turns to begin counting the next load for the sling.

It is my assumption with the political climate in Almas that no one is openly wearing a Wayfinder, or declaring themselves as a Pathfinder?

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

Piotr focuses his lupine senses, attempting to discern if Horianos genuinely harbors a fondness for the Pathfinder Society.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Wizard 5 Init+2 AC 14 (18) T12 (16) FF12 (16) HP 37/37 Fort+5 Ref+6 Will+5 Perc+0 Spd 20 Wand of Mage Armor 38/50; Wand of Magic Missile 39/50 ; Wand of Burning Hands CL3 1/50 ; Wand of CLW 42/50; Wand of Ray of Enfeeblement 47/50;Hand of App 5/6

Eredur pushes back under his shirt the curious Lybna, as the female weasel pokes its cute head out of the wizard's clothes.

Suuuush Lybna..He's a lumberjack, and he's ok.. he sleeps all night and he works all day.

He looks at the sea

The Sailswift you say? and what do you mean by "eerie" crew? What do they look like?


Piotr senses this man is genuine.

I donno, something just off they all go right back aboard, not like sailors to not spend coin on um... grog... when in port. And they are all really quiet, don't hear a lot of the he waves his hands about at the racket of sailors and stevedores cursing each other loudly as heavy loads are moved that from near their ship. Plus, who puts out first thing in the morning? they mustn't have anything they are selling legally on the dockside, no one would show up to buy it then... he frowns at the ship in the harbor. Its all just odd. I got three more days of being down here delivering and then its back to the sawmill for a month on the next order. I'll be glad to not see that ship darken this harbor anymore.

Liberty's Edge

Female LG Gnome Rolling Pin-wielding Level 6 GOON! | HP 34/50 | AC 16 (T16, FF14) | CMD 15 | F:+11, R:+12, W:+4 (+4 vs sleep, +2 vs fear & illusion, +1 vs enchant) | Init: +1 | Perc: +8 (+10 listen), SM: +6 |Speed 20ft |Shirt Reroll: 1/1, Pin: 1/1|Martial Flex 4/4, Eternal Hope 0/1, Stun Fist 1/1, Bombs 4/4, Mutagen 1/1, Tricks 2/3| Gnome Magic (Used: ); Extracts: True Strike, 1 Open| Mes Spells: 2/2 |Active Conditions: Reflect Fear

"That sounds awful suspicious!" says Jilla to her Pathfinder teammates. Despite the dark shadows around her eyes and unkempt hair, she starts to grin for the first time. "We really oughtta go investigate! Maybe we can hire a rowboat to ferry us out to the Sailswift?

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

Piotr leans in close to whisper to Horianos, "What if I were to tell you we're Pathfinders." Piotr furtively reveals his wayfinder, then tucks it back underneath his breastplate.
"We're trying to clean up this city a bit, especially in regards to The Spider and their illicit affairs."

Piotr then leans back to shake the man's hand.
"Thank you for your time. We'll see what we can do."

Strolling along the dock, he addresses his teammates,
"Those 'eerie' types he spoke of... perhaps they are zombies or ghouls under the ship's captain's commands. Hmmm. Intriguing."

"We should get a couple of rooms for the rest of the day at that tavern, then head out just before midnight to check on that warehouse or the ship." he suggests.

"We need to keep an eye out in case we're being watched."
After canvassing townsfolk for clues for the past few hours, Piotr discreetly scans his surroundings, ensuring there are no suspicious figures observing him and his team.
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

@GM: Piotr will constantly keep alert for any suspicious folks tailing or watching the group.

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"Checking in would be wise, and would allow us to rest until nightfall. I can then meditate on a spell that would allow us not to bother with hiring ferry services..." Zeldana says, smiling and patting Winnie's head.

Silver Crusade

half-orc cleric of Shelyn 4 | HP 10/31 | AC 16, T 10, FF 16 | F: +6 R: +3, W: +9 | Perc +4 | Init +4

Garsita consults with the team as to what sort of magic they might like her to prepare before we rest.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Horianos blinks and smiles, Och, your secret is safe with me Pathfinders! I've got a friend, Analis Broomwillow. She's an older halfling adventurer, and seen the world over - her shop - Broomwillow's Provisions is a good spot to purchase things, and she might be able to help you more... I've got to get back to it, but best of luck! he shakes Piotr's hand and turns beginning to bellow at a stevedore fumbling with the ropes, Not like that! The load'll slip halfway onto the ship! Use a basket hitch to attach the sillage to the load! as he stomps over and begins retying the messy knot on the next load.

Finding a relatively clean and nearby tavern, the Pathfinders settle in to rest for the upcoming night's excursions and prepare their magical effects for what comes next. Piotr doesn't notice anyone following the group, or keeping eyes on them in any way which indicates they are being followed. Of course, such an interesting group draws eyes, but nothing more than you'd expect walking around Almas with an owlbear in tow...

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

Zeldana was happy to be back in Almas. On a couple of occasions during the afternoon she stepped out of the inn to reconnect with some old friends in the city. She usually roamed the northern border of Andoran, helping the Eagle Knights with scouting and fighting brigands, but she wasn't without friends and perhaps one ex-boyfriend here in Almas. Also on good terms with the druidic circles of the Verduran Forest, she was also familiar with the Treaty of the Wildwood and had traveled those parts throughout, crossing the borders of Andoran, Taldor and Galt on numerous occasions. Her animal trainer's skills had been prized by many logging camps, border outposts and merchant caravans in the region, as she counted herself as a proud member of the Liberty's Edge organization. It wasn't the first time she brought Winnie to Almas though, but the previous time she did, the owlbear had been just a pup then, and not the now-horse-sized version she had become. It was understandable that some eyes would turn in her wake, but Zeldana made it a point to stop and educate and reconnect with all those who had met with Winnie when the beast was still juvenile.

On her way back to the inn, she thought of something and decided to share with the others.

"I've developed a trick or two with Winnie along the years, and one of them is the ability to share spells with her, and cast things on her that would normally only work on humans, or just myself, and such. I don't think we need to spread the news about us checking that boat in the harbor. I can cast a spell on Winnie that will let her walk on water and create a path of giant lily pads in her wake. As long as you don't stray too far behind, you can all follow on the path of lily pads. They'll support anything that's as big and heavy as Winnie. The path can be a bit unstable, and for those in armor balance can be a problem though... I'd be riding Winnie on her saddle, but some of you who need to be lighter on their feet could probably use an Elixir of Tumbling to make the trip a bit safer. I know, I know... this can be a bit pricy compared to just rent or buy a boat, but unless some of you can make a merchant forget a transaction with some trickster-type memory altering magic, the approach I propose would help us save our anonymity... what say you all?"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female LG Gnome Rolling Pin-wielding Level 6 GOON! | HP 34/50 | AC 16 (T16, FF14) | CMD 15 | F:+11, R:+12, W:+4 (+4 vs sleep, +2 vs fear & illusion, +1 vs enchant) | Init: +1 | Perc: +8 (+10 listen), SM: +6 |Speed 20ft |Shirt Reroll: 1/1, Pin: 1/1|Martial Flex 4/4, Eternal Hope 0/1, Stun Fist 1/1, Bombs 4/4, Mutagen 1/1, Tricks 2/3| Gnome Magic (Used: ); Extracts: True Strike, 1 Open| Mes Spells: 2/2 |Active Conditions: Reflect Fear

"Walking across the harbor on giant lily pads? Definitely absolutely!" shouts Jilla, hopping up and down and clapping her hands.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male N Half-Elf Wizard 7|Buffs: Mage Armor, Prestidigitation, Light (sheathed dagger), Haste | HP 62/62 | AC 16 Incorp T 16 T 12 FF 14 | CMB +4 CMD 15| F +6 R +5 W +6,+2 vs Enchantment/Cold,+1 vs Fear/Confusion| INIT +8| PER +23 Low Light Vision SM+2|Speed 60'|Resist 10 Negative Energy Damage
Resources:
Shirt Re-roll 1/1, Pearl of Power 1st 1/6, Four Leaf Clover 3/3, Force Missiles: 8/9,+1 Knowledge 1/1|Spells 1st 5/7, 2nd 5/6,3rd 3/4 4th 2/3

Igor appreciates the novelty of the idea if not its practicality.

"Would not a party of adventurers and an owlbear attract a lot more attention to themselves by jumping from giant lily pad to giant lily pad in a harbour than by simply hiring a boat to get to the ship in question?"

The wizard quickly decides it is best to answer his own rhetorical question than to chance an inane if enthusiastic reply.

"To put it simply the answer to that question is yes it will."

If the players want to use magic we can but we should try to be a little more discrete in our approach. :)

Sovereign Court

MAP CG m Warpriest of Milani 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 18, t10, ff18 | F +8, R +3, W +10 (+2 neg energy) | Percept. +14 | darkvision 60' | Blessings 5/day | Stealth -2 | Init +2 | speed 20' | CMB +6 CMD 16 | Fervor 2d6 | Active Conditions: lucky #:12

Waving his arms dismissively, Piotr wears a look of dismay as he states,
"Oh, hells no! I'm not hopping across lily pads."

"Don't any of you have some clout with your faction, or favors earned from past adventures to, uhh, like, get free passage on a boat or something?"
Anyone got any chronicle or FJC boons/favors that would get us there? It's probably only a few silver to hire a rowboat, anyway. The spells are fine, though. Piotr's just being a scaredy cat wolf.

Piotr furrows his brow in discontent.
"If I am forced to hop along lily pads, a touch of the sea potion might be in order, as well as that elixir of tumbling you mentioned."

Liberty's Edge

Female NG Human (Varisian) Druid 7 (Nature Fang) - Init. +1, Senses Perception +13 (+16 vs. traps), AC 27/ touch 13/ ff 25; CMD 24; hp 52/52, F+7, R+3, W+8 (+2 Ref vs. traps), Speed 30 ft. [Goodberries: 11/11] | Buffs: longstrider, barkskin, bull's strength, antitoxin

"That... or I can attach a cart that Winnie can tow. She's done it twice before while helping at a logging camp. You could all safely sit in the cart. Said cart can allow us to bring back evidence of whatever they were loading unto that ship at night... as long as the cart isn't heavier than Winnie, we're good: the magic will hold. Oh, and the spell will last seventy minutes or so... we cannot just relax while we're there, and we'd have to keep track of time."

Winnie is 1,500 pounds

Light Wagon: Wagons of this type are most commonly employed by farmers and craftsmen transporting their goods short distances or by venders in and around cities. A light wagon carries up to 1,000 pounds of cargo and requires two Medium creatures or one Large creature to pull it; price: 50 gp (Zeldana can buy it)


I love the planning. Let’s assume this has happened before rest so you can continue with prepping spells and a plan. Once you’ve Agreed on a course of action and time has passed for spellcasters let’s proceed. Your rest will be uninterrupted.

1 to 50 of 262 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shadow's Last Stand, Part 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.